Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have done some testing of the Dvd picture quality of my new 103 vs my old 83..........no contest .......the 83 has a vastly sharper picture with more depth.........just like the 83 compared to all my other Dvd players (Denon 2930, LG 200 combo, and all of my other players).

I have seen reviews that seem to suggest that the dvd upscaled picture is of the highest quality, but it does not compare to the 83 at all. This is swithced through my Onkyo 3009 (in direct mode) and into my Panasonic 60GT50 in THX Theater mode.

Keep your Oppo 83 if you care about dvd picture quality. The 103 has full quality Blu ray picture quality and looks the same as the 83.......but Blu rays like Aliens load up like a Dvd compared to the wait loading on the 83...this is worth the upgrade just for that alone. The smooth disc drawer is very nice, the 103 remote is heavier than the 83's by a fair bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have questions regarding the Crossover and Dynamic Range Control.

The Crossover, the default is set to 80Hz, I changed to 40Hz because I have Large speakers all around. Even my center speaker is Large. So I wanted to get a fuller sounds for all my 5 Large speakers.

The Dynamic Range Control, the default is set to Auto. Should I leave it on the default setting Auto? What does it really do anyway?
post #2433 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

I have done some testing of the Dvd picture quality of my new 103 vs my old 83..........no contest .......the 83 has a vastly sharper picture with more depth.........just like the 83 compared to all my other Dvd players (Denon 2930, LG 200 combo, and all of my other players).
I have seen reviews that seem to suggest that the dvd upscaled picture is of the highest quality, but it does not compare to the 83 at all. This is swithced through my Onkyo 3009 (in direct mode) and into my Panasonic 60GT50 in THX Theater mode.
Keep your Oppo 83 if you care about dvd picture quality. The 103 has full quality Blu ray picture quality and looks the same as the 83.......but Blu rays like Aliens load up like a Dvd compared to the wait loading on the 83...this is worth the upgrade just for that alone. The smooth disc drawer is very nice, the 103 remote is heavier than the 83's by a fair bit.

This was my findings as well.
post #2434 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

The Crossover, the default is set to 80Hz, I changed to 40Hz because I have Large speakers all around. Even my center speaker is Large. So I wanted to get a fuller sounds for all my 5 Large speakers.
The Dynamic Range Control, the default is set to Auto. Should I leave it on the default setting Auto? What does it really do anyway?

Dynamic range control is a feature designed for midnight listening.The problem it addresses is that movie explosions and special effects are often much louder than dialogue. When listening to movies at night, you might find yourself having to continually turn the volume up to hear the dialogue and then turning it down when special effects blast out.

Dynamic range control solves this by making the loud stuff quieter and the quiet stuff louder. This saps all of the impact out of the sound, but you don't have to keep reaching for the volume control.

Upshot: Keep it switched off unless you need it. Its redundant if your AVR has the Dolby Volume feature.

BTW ... It only works for Dolby Digital and TrueHD and has no effect on DTS or DTS Master Audio.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2435 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I plan to keep my 83SE as well for DVD playback plus Component video usage(just in case i ever get to need it), get the 105 and sell my current 95 with the latest ISO firmware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2436 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

RE: MOV Files from DSLR - "Audio Format Not Supported"
Seems odd to me that I get a "Audio Format Not Supported" message each time I attempt to play a MOV file recorded from my camera. The video portion plays normall
Audio:
Bitrate: 256
Channels: (2) Stereo
Audio Sample Rate: 16kHz

The player does not support AAC LC-SBR. The Audio Sampling Rate is too low for the player. You need at least 32Kbps.
post #2437 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Dynamic range control is a feature designed for midnight listening.The problem it addresses is that movie explosions and special effects are often much louder than dialogue. When listening to movies at night, you might find yourself having to continually turn the volume up to hear the dialogue and then turning it down when special effects blast out.

Dynamic range control solves this by making the loud stuff quieter and the quiet stuff louder. This saps all of the impact out of the sound, but you don't have to keep reaching for the volume control.
Upshot: Keep it switched off unless you need it. Its redundant if your AVR has the Dolby Volume feature.

BTW ... It only works for Dolby Digital and TrueHD and has no effect on DTS or DTS Master Audio.

Thanks!

I will turn it off because I do not need it.
post #2438 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 880
OPPO UK Has Now Posted the 1114B Public Beta Firmware for the European model BDP-103EU and BDP-105EU Players!

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/bdp-103-105eu/

For you folks with the European players, please do read the release notes BEFORE you install the Public Beta firmware. For folks coming from the older players, I'll just remind you again that the installation instructions HAVE CHANGED for the new players.

NOTE: You *CAN* roll back to the current, Official 1018 firmware if you try the Public Beta and run into any issues. Also note that going TO or FROM a Beta firmware install must be done using either the USB or Burned-disc install methods. As usual, Network update is not available when going TO or FROM a Beta firmware release to reduce the chances folks will accidentally install/remove a Beta release without realizing it is a Beta.

For some, unknown reason, OPPO UK has NOT listed the "known issue" with respect SD-DVD de-interlacing in this Public Beta. I DON'T believe they have incorporated a fix which might have arrived after the US Public Beta was built. I suspect instead, they have simply determined that the issue does not affect PAL SD-DVDs (which is likely true, given the nature of the problem). In any event, I fully expect this issue to be fixed before the next "Official" firmware release.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #2439 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

For folks like JKR1963 who see a "vast" difference between the 83 and the 103/105 when upscaling SD-DVDs, I strongly suggest you revisit your settings and video calibration for the 103/105. Differences can sneak in, particularly if you are using different inputs in the AVR or Display. Check that you are using 1080p, not 1080i. Check your Deep Color choice. Etc., etc.

The "real" difference is simply not that big. The two processors are different of course, and it is perfectly reasonable that you may prefer the results of the ABT processing, but if things are set up correctly both ways, the differences should be SUBTLE. That is, they should BOTH look excellent!

By the way, you should also check out DVD upscaling using the HDMI 2 output, as the MediaTek folks have dramatically stepped up their game for this generation of processors. All THREE approaches -- Marvell QDEO on 103/105 HDMI 1, MediaTek on 103/105 HDMI 2, and ABT on the 83 will be VERY close. But you may find the last two are closer if your preference leans towards the ABT approach.

Of course you can't use the 1114B Public Beta Firmware for checking this due to the "known issue" for SD-DVD processing. Use Official 1018 Firmware.
--Bob

post #2440 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

. . . .

Are your speakers truly capable of producing high quality audio down to 20Hz? At volume? If you don't have powered woofers inside those speakers, this is pretty unlikely.

You want to allow a full Octave (factor of 2 in frequency) BELOW the Crossover setting because the transition between main speakers and sub rolls in over about an Octave. I.e., it is not a sudden switchover at one frequency.

So if you set a Crossover of 40Hz, your main speakers will still be contributing audible amounts of bass down to 20Hz, while the sub's output increases as the frequency goes down, and it has essentially taken over fully at 20Hz.

A more typical spec for Large -- "full range" -- speakers is that their audio output is good down to only 30Hz, or even 40Hz, and gets progressively worse below that. That is, they may show specs that they can go lower, but the deviation from "correct" below that is significantly greater. For such speakers, the usual Rule of Thumb would be to set a Crossover frequency at twice that "good" limit -- i.e., 60Hz or 80Hz respectively in this example.

Now all this assumes you have a capable subwoofer in your system to catch that steered bass in the first place. A lot of subs sold for home theater are really intended to operate in the range of 30-80Hz, which is fine for explosion effects in movies (around 50Hz), but doesn't really work for the lowest frequencies (below 30Hz) which you feel more than hear. Matching a sub to the capabilities of your main speakers, and figuring out the best way to set this all up (e.g., sub positioning, choice of crossover, room treatments, or electronic room correction processing) is a complicated topic.
--Bob

post #2441 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Thanks BOB for clearing this up for me, as my wife plans on the 103 for me for Christmas. I was confused as someone else also posted the upconversion was better with the Sony 790 which I already own. I was hoping the 103 was a bit better than the Sony!

post #2442 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I have just become interested in the OPPO's and am considering the BDP-103. I currently have a Samsung 3D BD Player so I am thinking that I am going to get quite a difference. I just added an APPLE TV for netflix and the like so it has 5.1 which means that my use of the OPPO for that will be possibly restricted... Thoughts on this please??

Additionally I am considering a new AMP, well not considering I am shopping for a new amp. Still trying to decide on: Onkyo 5010, Pioneer CS-68 or the Denon 4520 (currently have a 4310), the reason I post this here is this..... The OPPO's are dedicated video systems and claim to have fantastic up scaling and video performance. Yet in my research for my AMP I want excellent video performance from my AMP for my SAT and various other components. I am thinking now that putting the OPPO through the amp would be a waste of time shall we say... or it will be counter productive if I cant turn off the video system for the BD Player in the AMP. Any thoughts on this please??

Cheers

Edit: I noticed that with the A/V units I am looking at the Onkyo and the Pioneer both are using the Marvell Qdeo video chip which the OPPO is using so my question about pass through of video or using the OPPO for my video up scaling for my SAT and other components is not as much of a concern.

Edit 2: Well not sure if anyone had seen this post as it was sort of in the middle of a discussion but I have ordered an OPPO 103, hope it is as good as the reviews and sites say that it is.
post #2443 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by englechgc View Post

played around with the DVD/24 feature yesterday and found that it does produce smoother motion with compatible discs. as bob mentioned, the effect is easily demonstrated with rolling credits.1.gifI

Is it smoother to play a DVD/24 at 24p in the Oppo or allow it to be converted by the same Oppo to 60Hz? I'm trying to understand the attraction of the 24p feature.

Objection Your Honor! Previously asked and answered in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/690#post_22492113

--Bob

post #2444 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I plan to buy a NAS in the near future(Netgear or Synology) in the near future and have seen them tested with various read/write data throughput tests ranging from 50Mb/s to 110Mb/s. I plan to use the NAS for BR movies and music. What are the minimum rates for trouble free operation, wireless or wired?

post #2445 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been trying a lot of searches and looking through many pages but am not finding a lot of comments about how good the scaling is when using the HDMI inputs for things such as a Roku or 1080i from a DVR (I have a DISH Hopper), am particularly interested in people who have done A/B comparisons with Oppo doing the scaling to 1080p and without it in the chain regarding how significant any differences are.

I currently own a BDP-93 and am intrigued by the HDMI input/scaling option of the BDP-103 and if it's a significant improvement for input devices such as a Roku or 1080i from a DVR I might upgrade but I'm just not finding a lot of info. I very rarely watch DVDs so scaling improvements for that doesn't interest me, specifically want to hear more comments about people using the HDMI inputs of the BDP-103.

My display device is a Epson 6010 front projector.

Thanks!
post #2446 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

In my notes on the 1114B Public Beta firmware, I forgot to mention another fix for a bug I've been tracking.

In the Official 1018 firmware, when using the HDMI Inputs, an input resolution of 480i could result in gross vertical misalignment of the image. The symptom would look like vertical smearing or vertical ghosting.

The error actually existed for 480p input as well when using the HDMI Inputs, but to a much lesser degree -- small enough that you might easily have missed it.

This bug is fixed in the 1114B Public Beta firmware.

Thus, folks who were testing the HDMI Inputs as a method for upscaling either 480i or 480p content from an external Source device (e.g., a cable or satellite TV set top box set to "native" output resolution for SD broadcast programs), should check this AGAIN using the 1114B Public Beta firmware. If you were bitten by this bug, the results should now look even BETTER -- particularly if you were checking 480i input.
--Bob

post #2447 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I've been trying a lot of searches and looking through many pages but am not finding a lot of comments about how good the scaling is when using the HDMI inputs for things such as a Roku or 1080i from a DVR (I have a DISH Hopper), am particularly interested in people who have done A/B comparisons with Oppo doing the scaling to 1080p and without it in the chain regarding how significant any differences are.

I currently own a BDP-93 and am intrigued by the HDMI input/scaling option of the BDP-103 and if it's a significant improvement for input devices such as a Roku or 1080i from a DVR I might upgrade but I'm just not finding a lot of info. I very rarely watch DVDs so scaling improvements for that doesn't interest me, specifically want to hear more comments about people using the HDMI inputs of the BDP-103.

My display device is a Epson 6010 front projector.

Thanks!

Use of the Roku Streaming Stick is not going to be all that great a test of this, as that device does not offer the ability to output SD resolutions or interlaced content.

Set as you would normally set it for use with the OPPO, the Roku Streaming Stick will output 1080p for 1080p input streams and 720p for EVERYTHING ELSE. (While using the Roku, you can bring up the on-screen Info display of the 103/105 to see exactly what's coming in from it for video and audio.)

So the Roku is doing all the heavy lifting itself.

For this and other reasons, I recommend you use the NATIVE apps that come with the player instead of the versions on the Roku stick -- i.e., use the native Netflix app instead of the Roku Netflix app.

Obviously for apps that are only available on the Roku stick, use the ones on the Roku stick.

(There are no similar issues regarding audio from the stick.)

For cable and satellite TV boxes, ideally you would set the box to output "native" resolution -- i.e., what it sends out matches what is coming in for the program you are currently watching.

There have been reports here that the DISH box can not be set to do that. I don't know whether that's true or not -- I presume it may vary depending on which specific DISH device you have.

If true, that would mean to get the "best" imaging you would need to manually switch the DISH box's output to 480i, 720p, or 1080i, depending on the particular channel you are watching at the moment.

I've tested 1080i HDMI input using calibration discs played on a Blu-ray player, and the 103/105 handle de-interlacing of such input to the same high standard that happens when you play Blu-ray discs that have 1080i/60 content on disc (e.g., "live concert" discs and the like).

The main problem with the HDMI Inputs right now is audio / video sync. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
--Bob

post #2448 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Use of the Roku Streaming Stick is not going to be all that great a test of this, as that device does not offer the ability to output SD resolutions or interlaced content.
Set as you would normally set it for use with the OPPO, the Roku Streaming Stick will output 1080p for 1080p input streams and 720p for EVERYTHING ELSE. (While using the Roku, you can bring up the on-screen Info display of the 103/105 to see exactly what's coming in from it for video and audio.)
So the Roku is doing all the heavy lifting itself.
For this and other reasons, I recommend you use the NATIVE apps that come with the player instead of the versions on the Roku stick -- i.e., use the native Netflix app instead of the Roku Netflix app.
Obviously for apps that are only available on the Roku stick, use the ones on the Roku stick.
(There are no similar issues regarding audio from the stick.)
For cable and satellite TV boxes, ideally you would set the box to output "native" resolution -- i.e., what it sends out matches what is coming in for the program you are currently watching.
There have been reports here that the DISH box can not be set to do that. I don't know whether that's true or not -- I presume it may vary depending on which specific DISH device you have.
If true, that would mean to get the "best" imaging you would need to manually switch the DISH box's output to 480i, 720p, or 1080i, depending on the particular channel you are watching at the moment.
I've tested 1080i HDMI input using calibration discs played on a Blu-ray player, and the 103/105 handle de-interlacing of such input to the same high standard that happens when you play Blu-ray discs that have 1080i/60 content on disc (e.g., "live concert" discs and the like).
The main problem with the HDMI Inputs right now is audio / video sync. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
--Bob

I don't think any DISH STBs or DVRs offer native passthrough, would be nice if they did but I don't believe any do. I never watch SDTV (480i) so a non-issue. I'm mostly concerned about what the Oppo can do when fed 1080i from the DISH Hopper, how significant a difference the BDP-103 scales it to 1080p vs. display device converting 1080i to 1080p, was hoping to hear from owners who have tried the test with a STB or DVR outputting 1080i to an HDMI input of the BDP-103 and comparing it setup this way and setup directly to display device.
post #2449 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I don't think any DISH STBs or DVRs offer native passthrough, would be nice if they did but I don't believe any do. I never watch SDTV (480i) so a non-issue. I'm mostly concerned about what the Oppo can do when fed 1080i from the DISH Hopper, how significant a difference the BDP-103 scales it to 1080p vs. display device converting 1080i to 1080p, was hoping to hear from owners who have tried the test with a STB or DVR outputting 1080i to an HDMI input of the BDP-103 and comparing it setup this way and setup directly to display device.

You may not be aware of it but quite a few HD channels are actually native 720p content instead of 1080i. For example the various ESPN channels are all 720p.

(If you do the math, 720p/60 and 1080i/60 (which is the same as 1080p/30) are actually the same bandwidth, which of course is why they were chosen as the paired resolutions for HD broadcast -- i.e., either way they fit into the fixed channel bandwidth assigned to each broadcast frequency. But even though they are the same bandwidth, they are not the same signal.)

So even though you don't watch SD channels, you may very well find it useful to learn which channels are 720p and set the DISH box to output 720p for those instead of 1080i -- even if you need to do that manually. When you have it output those at 1080i it has to scale and re-interlace them for output. The re-interlacing is trivial, but the scaling from 720 to 1080 is often done QUITE poorly in set top boxes.

Anyway, your point remains. We'll have to see what people start reporting on feeding this stuff through the OPPO rather than into their TV directly.

But understand the comparison matrix here is quite complex: Any comparison is going to be specific to the particular model (and firmware level) of the DISH box in question, and also the particular model (and firmware level) of the TV in question.

The bottom line is that getting an answer that truly applies to YOUR DISH box and Display may mean getting the OPPO and trying it yourself. You could wait a long time for a post from someone who knows how to check this and ALSO happens to have the same gear you have.

This is not an uncommon dilemma for gear like this -- even ignoring the added complexity of these HDMI Inputs. That's one of the reason why OPPO Digital offers an easy, 30 day return policy if you buy direct from their web site. All you risk is the shipping cost.
--Bob

post #2450 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks Bob,

Since I have been a Videophile since around 1985, I am capable of setting up my system....checking settings...making fair comparisons.....I found the 83 Dvd section to be in a different league altogether. The 103 looks flat and out of focus and lacking in depth compared to what the 83 can do. I am going to do some more checking as I have only had the player for a week.......but I am sure my opinion will not change......it is very easy to see the difference to my eyes. I was thinking of selling my 83 and adding a 105 for my audio system as my Denon 2930's junk laser assembly is dying after only 2 yrs of use. Since I have tons of Dvd's that are not on Blu ray (and won't be) I need to keep my 83 and am happy that I have such a fine Dvd player. I love these guys (some reviewer's too) who talk about how they got rid of all their Dvd's but the list of TV and Movies that I own that will not come out on Blu ray is large.......Dvd is still very important to me. The 103 Dvd picture is certainly not unwatchable, but I am used to seeing the 83 Dvd picture ........ I can tell the difference right away.....I tried lots of tweeking on the 103 too (and I will keep trying too, but will likely use the 83 for Dvd and the 103 mostly for Blu).
post #2451 of 18473 Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Well of course there's no way for me to know what "a different league altogether" means to your eyes, but taking the common sense meaning for that, it sure sounds to me like something is wrong either in your setup or in your 103, because I'm not seeing that.

Have you checked calibration charts to see if the difference is showing up there? If so, can you describe which charts and what you are seeing?

I'm not doubting you are seeing something here, I'm simply suggesting that this should be a Red Flag that something is wrong. Let's see if we can figure it out.
--Bob

post #2452 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

There is another bug in the HDMI Inputs that I want to bring up because, in most cases, the workaround is easy.

THE BUG: RGB Video Level formatted input, at HD input resolutions (720p or higher), will result in incorrect color space math being applied. The most noticeable symptoms are that Greens are too dark and high brightness colors (particularly Reds) are "clipped" -- i.e., become indistinguishable at a lower brightness than should be the case.

THE WORKAROUND: Set your Source device(s) to send YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2 video to the HDMI Inputs of the 103/105.

As it turns out, sending RGB Video Level at SD resolution (480i or 480p) to the HDMI Inputs does not exhibit this bug, but the workaround of setting YCbCr as the input format will likely be easier in most cases, even if you are experimenting with upscaling of SD video input.

As stated, this is just a bug. OPPO Engineering is on the case.

Some Displays prefer RGB as their video input format (the Pioneer Kuro displays being the ones most commonly mentioned), and so your Source devices -- for example a cable or satellite TV set top box -- may already be set to produce RGB as their output. The thing to do in that case is change the Source to send YCbCr to the OPPO, and set the OPPO to output RGB Video Level to your Display. That works.

This bug exists both in the 1018 Official Firmware and in the 1114B Public Beta Firmware.

ETA: I forgot to mention, if you press the Info button on the OPPO remote while using an HDMI Input, the on-screen display will show you what's coming in on that input for video (and audio) format. So you can easily confirm whether your Source is sending YCbCr or RGB.
--Bob

post #2453 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Kri

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolta View Post

Is there a difference between using the 7.1 out vs. the HDMI?
In my case the OPPO has better processors than my AVR, so I want the OPPO to send processed audio (from the blu ray disk) to the AVR. I am not sure which is the better way to go.
thanks

For me, music is much better via mch analog outs. HDMI is great for picture quality and maybe for some explosive soundtracks. I lead picture direct to my TV over HDMI. I even consider leaving completely AVR and replacing it with 2 audiophile stereo amps and 2 active speakers for center and SW. That's why I'm highly interrested in Oppo 103 possibly being it's own preamp (volume control for these power amps).
But analog concepts are difficult to discuss here since most people are focused on digital sound processing/"room correcting" and don't care much for musicality of the HD music.
post #2454 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:

I plan to buy a NAS in the near future(Netgear or Synology) in the near future and have seen them tested with various read/write data throughput tests ranging from 50Mb/s to 110Mb/s. I plan to use the NAS for BR movies and music. What are the minimum rates for trouble free operation, wireless or wired?

I don't recall any specific recommendations or tests, but you might ask in the Media Server forum.

Although it is working for me at the moment, wireless N is said to be inadequate for HD video. The next standard is still in development. When I need to research NAS and routers I start here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Last time I checked (SMB over wireless) an AVCHD/BDMV title was peaking to 35Mbs. I don't doubt some go higher. There is BR spec thread here that shows these details.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2455 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Although it is working for me at the moment, wireless N is said to be inadequate for HD video. The next standard is still in development. When I need to research NAS and routers I start here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Last time I checked (SMB over wireless) an AVCHD/BDMV title was peaking to 35Mbs. I don't doubt some go higher. There is BR spec thread here that shows these details.
Just to add to Bill's comments, I have used both a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (v1, with Twonky installed) and a Synology DS212j (with the Synology Media Player package installed) to stream BR backups to my Oppo via a wired gigabit network. Even the old Duo had plenty of bandwidth for HD video streaming so you will be able to use just about any current NAS successfully to stream as long as your network is configured correctly. Between Netgear and Synology it's a no-brainer, IMHO, with Synology having the far, far superior user interface and setup.
post #2456 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Thanks Bob,
Since I have been a Videophile since around 1985, I am capable of setting up my system....checking settings...making fair comparisons.....I found the 83 Dvd section to be in a different league altogether. The 103 looks flat and out of focus and lacking in depth compared to what the 83 can do. I am going to do some more checking as I have only had the player for a week.......but I am sure my opinion will not change......it is very easy to see the difference to my eyes. I was thinking of selling my 83 and adding a 105 for my audio system as my Denon 2930's junk laser assembly is dying after only 2 yrs of use. Since I have tons of Dvd's that are not on Blu ray (and won't be) I need to keep my 83 and am happy that I have such a fine Dvd player. I love these guys (some reviewer's too) who talk about how they got rid of all their Dvd's but the list of TV and Movies that I own that will not come out on Blu ray is large.......Dvd is still very important to me. The 103 Dvd picture is certainly not unwatchable, but I am used to seeing the 83 Dvd picture ........ I can tell the difference right away.....I tried lots of tweeking on the 103 too (and I will keep trying too, but will likely use the 83 for Dvd and the 103 mostly for Blu).

Please try HDMI-2 on the 103, you might be surprised. I'm in agreement with you on the Qdeo processing, (although perhaps I don't feel the difference is huge), I don't care for it.
post #2457 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

So this would be your SUBJECTIVE opinion?smile.gif I will say that subjectively the BDP-83 was a better DVD spinner than the BDP-93, but the BDP-103 on the latest official firmware would hold its own against the BDP83 (based on memory). I'm feeding the BDP-103 through my Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #2458 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

For folks like JKR1963 who see a "vast" difference between the 83 and the 103/105 when upscaling SD-DVDs, I strongly suggest you revisit your settings and video calibration for the 103/105. Differences can sneak in, particularly if you are using different inputs in the AVR or Display. Check that you are using 1080p, not 1080i. Check your Deep Color choice. Etc., etc.
The "real" difference is simply not that big. The two processors are different of course, and it is perfectly reasonable that you may prefer the results of the ABT processing, but if things are set up correctly both ways, the differences should be SUBTLE. That is, they should BOTH look excellent!
By the way, you should also check out DVD upscaling using the HDMI 2 output, as the MediaTek folks have dramatically stepped up their game for this generation of processors. All THREE approaches -- Marvell QDEO on 103/105 HDMI 1, MediaTek on 103/105 HDMI 2, and ABT on the 83 will be VERY close. But you may find the last two are closer if your preference leans towards the ABT approach.
Of course you can't use the 1114B Public Beta Firmware for checking this due to the "known issue" for SD-DVD processing. Use Official 1018 Firmware.
--Bob

Your findings are more in line with what my eyes are telling me and at this point it is more about preference. There was definitely room for improvement in the BDP-93 and Oppo has done a fine job in the BDP-103.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #2459 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Thanks BOB for clearing this up for me, as my wife plans on the 103 for me for Christmas. I was confused as someone else also posted the upconversion was better with the Sony 790 which I already own. I was hoping the 103 was a bit better than the Sony!

I have the Sony BDP-S790 in addition to a BDP-103 and if your requirements are specifically DVD and Blu-ray PQ I would suggest you stay with the Sony as it does an excellent on both and the Oppo would be overkill for these specific requirements.smile.gif At least this is what my eyes are telling me.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #2460 of 18473 Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bob,

JKR,

DVD playback is very important to me as I own over 1,500. Are there any specific titles that exhibit the differences your are seeing or is this evident on all DVDs? I only ask because sometimes these differences may not be observed by some because we are watching different titles that may not show these differences.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page