Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 820 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 887Likes

post #24571 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speaker hiss/noise fixed no thanks to Oppo or Outlaw.

Since I opted to buy the Outlaw 5000 by itself instead of bundled Outlaw didn't want to give me any $ discount on a Model 975 once my issue arose. When I offered to take less of a discount and even a B-stock unit they ignored that email altogether and stopped replying. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Tempted to throw some electrical tape over the outlaw badges on my new equipment. This way I don't accidentally give them any business. I was able to find a 'like new' 975 from eBay and saved some money.

Anyway, once setup I've got no noise at all. Clear as day and the SQ and the PQ are great running 'Native' through the 975. The OSD compared to pretty much any other unit since 1995 leaves something to be desired.

Still can't complain about the setup. I love what I've got for the small living area that its in. Probably even a bit overkill in regard to wattage and the size display. Still working on hiding the last of the wiring and my wife hates the amount of equipment...but I don't care.

Thanks for all who helped me try to figure out the noise concern. I sincerely appreciate the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	2047969  
KC-Technerd and shivaji like this.

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24572 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi
I tried researching on the old threads but I spent enough time ... I'll just ask . Today my old 103 took a dive . No Disc... Laser go bad? I tried it several times on several tried and true disc . Once it looked like it was going to go...it "loaded" for a second and then went off ( the swirly) ... I just ordered a 203 off of Crutchfield as we use it a lot . Any Ideas? I looked at Marantz's, as I have 8801 and thought it would sound good also.. but they don't have a 500 dollar DVR player. Its high dollar or nothing ..
post #24573 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 294
It may only mean that your laser head needs cleaning. I would suggest you call Oppo and get them to lead you through the cleaning procedure as a first step in fixing your problem.

post #24574 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Try doing a factory reset on the 103. Failing that, if I were you I'd call Oppo customer support. If they can't fix it over the phone, they'll likely fix it on their dime.

I've heard the 203's are rather problematic. I'd try to fix the 103 first.

filmnut
post #24575 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Most of the 203 problems are being sorted out via firmware updates. Unless you have a projector, the 203 as of now with the latest beta firmware is pretty solid, with the exception of the HDMI input which still needs a little more work. With projectors, there are some 203 features that still don't give projectors the best results. Supposedly those are being worked on for a future firmware update. Dolby Vision should also be coming soon.

post #24576 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Hi
I tried researching on the old threads but I spent enough time ... I'll just ask . Today my old 103 took a dive . No Disc... Laser go bad? I tried it several times on several tried and true disc . Once it looked like it was going to go...it "loaded" for a second and then went off ( the swirly) ... I just ordered a 203 off of Crutchfield as we use it a lot . Any Ideas? I looked at Marantz's, as I have 8801 and thought it would sound good also.. but they don't have a 500 dollar DVR player. Its high dollar or nothing ..
Here's some posts I'm aware regarding the same issue, including my own. If basic troubleshooting doesn't fix it, Oppo can fix it quickly as they did with mine. See the posts below for more details.

Post 24033

Post 24018

Post 23908

Post 23295
post #24577 of 24587 Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks you guys . This is a valuable resource ...
I found the shipping invoice from A/V Science back in Jan of 2013...And the original shipping boxes . I'll send it back to Oppo. I'm thinking of a system for the garage anyway ....

Last edited by ss3740; 03-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #24578 of 24587 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I have a 103 & 203 in my theater room and have set the remote code to "1" on the 103 & "2" on the 203. The 103 remote will power on/off both of the players but all the other buttons on both remotes work fine with their respective players...should I try different remote codes?

Thanks!
post #24579 of 24587 Old Today, 08:21 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
I have a 103 & 203 in my theater room and have set the remote code to "1" on the 103 & "2" on the 203. The 103 remote will power on/off both of the players but all the other buttons on both remotes work fine with their respective players...should I try different remote codes?

Thanks!
It shouldn't do that. I don't think so, at least. I've had three players and three remote codes at once and they did not power up or off together.

The anomaly I know of is if you cut power to the players completely. The hardware does not know its remote code until it powers up and fetches it from internal storage. Not a problem if they have been shut off but still on standby with power still connected.

So in that case any remote code will power up any player. The player wakes up, determines its remote code and responds only to the proper one thereafter. But they shouldn't power off together as you describe.

-Bill
laugsbach likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24580 of 24587 Old Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The anomaly I know of is if you cut power to the players completely. The hardware does not know its remote code until it powers up and fetches it from internal storage. Not a problem if they have been shut off but still on standby with power still connected.
That is it! I power both players completely off along with the AVR...

I got confused thinking the 103 remote was powering down the 203 also but it was only starting up the 203 while powering down the 103. I normally power on/off only one the Oppos at a time with the front panel power button after I switch on the power strip...

Thanks again Bill...
wmcclain likes this.
post #24581 of 24587 Old Today, 11:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
That is it! I power both players completely off along with the AVR...

I got confused thinking the 103 remote was powering down the 203 also but it was only starting up the 203 while powering down the 103. I normally power on/off only one the Oppos at a time with the front panel power button after I switch on the power strip...

Thanks again Bill...
Very good!

For me it was after a long power outage I'd turn on a player with the EJECT button on the remote and have three trays eject! I tried to remember to power each player on and off after an outage but it happened so rarely I always forgot.

Now I use a UPS which provides some protection for the problem.

-Bill
laugsbach likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24582 of 24587 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thanks!
Had a similar problem. Call up Oppo and they will walk you through it, as in resetting the remotes.
post #24583 of 24587 Old Today, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have a region-free 103 that I'd purchased from world-import.com 4 years ago - never updated the firmware on it for 4 years until recently - and I've lost the region-free capability. I was told to simply reset to factory default and I should regain the region-free status. But that doesn't seem to work....Any ideas?
post #24584 of 24587 Old Today, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post
Of course the batteries in my meter are dead.

If I told you that the hiss was NOT present when I hooked up my Macbook directly to the amp via 3.5mm to RCA or when my previous AVR was powering the speakers and receiving audio from the Oppo when using the same receptacle, would you still have me try this procedure or would we still just assume it's the Oppos preamp outputs?
Forgive me if I misunderstand your situation. When you old AVR was running the speakers, no hiss -- correct? Was the Oppo connected to the AVR at that time? If so, was it connected via analog out or HDMI? If there is hiss on the analog out and not the HDMI you have a faulty analog section in the Oppo that you may never have noticed while running HDMI.

The MacBook running clean with the amp with an analog connect pretty much clears the amp of blame.

If you have been running analog all of the time then I just don't know. It might be worth while running one channel at a time analog into the amp to see if it is present on all channels.

Good luck.
post #24585 of 24587 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2121 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I have a region-free 103 that I'd purchased from world-import.com 4 years ago - never updated the firmware on it for 4 years until recently - and I've lost the region-free capability. I was told to simply reset to factory default and I should regain the region-free status. But that doesn't seem to work....Any ideas?
You'll want to take that up with the maker of the region mod. There's usually a work-around for that issue.
post #24586 of 24587 Old Today, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Forgive me if I misunderstand your situation. When you old AVR was running the speakers, no hiss -- correct? Was the Oppo connected to the AVR at that time? If so, was it connected via analog out or HDMI? If there is hiss on the analog out and not the HDMI you have a faulty analog section in the Oppo that you may never have noticed while running HDMI.

The MacBook running clean with the amp with an analog connect pretty much clears the amp of blame.

If you have been running analog all of the time then I just don't know. It might be worth while running one channel at a time analog into the amp to see if it is present on all channels.

Good luck.
I did attempt to connect individual channels. The hiss was present regardless of cable used or if all channels were connected, some of them or just one of them. This was the first time I had the chance to use the Oppo analog outs. When I explained all this to Oppo after troubleshooting and ruling everything else out as a problem they basically said 'its not a preamp so don't use it that way'. Regardless of the other owners getting away with using their 103 or 103D as a pre/pro Oppo told me I am within warranty but just SOL.

So far the extent of my "good experiences" with Oppos customer service have been based on their ability to return emails. I'm sure they are better then they are appearing to me but I don't feel like they did what they should have in this situation. They didn't offer anything expect to let me know when the next BDP would be out and told me I could buy that.

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
post #24587 of 24587 Old Today, 05:39 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post
I did attempt to connect individual channels. The hiss was present regardless of cable used or if all channels were connected, some of them or just one of them. This was the first time I had the chance to use the Oppo analog outs. When I explained all this to Oppo after troubleshooting and ruling everything else out as a problem they basically said 'its not a preamp so don't use it that way'. Regardless of the other owners getting away with using their 103 or 103D as a pre/pro Oppo told me I am within warranty but just SOL.

So far the extent of my "good experiences" with Oppos customer service have been based on their ability to return emails. I'm sure they are better then they are appearing to me but I don't feel like they did what they should have in this situation. They didn't offer anything expect to let me know when the next BDP would be out and told me I could buy that.
It just isn't designed to work well as a preamp with every amp on the market. The RCA outputs are PRIMARILY designed to be connected to a preamp stage of some sort (either an AVR or pre-pro) between the Oppo and the amp. If it works well connected directly to an amp, that's a nice bonus if you want to use it that way. A number of people have posted about success using the Oppo connected directly to some other amps. Perhaps an option would have been to return the amp you purchased and try a different one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page