Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 824 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 910Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24691 of 24720 Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,231
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4532
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
I got it to send 4K video from blu-ray playback but with the same settings it will not upscale the video from the rear HDMI input to 4K
You would have to send /24 video into the HDMI Input for that to work -- for example, 1080p/24.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24692 of 24720 Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Member
 
typ44q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia South Carolina
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You would have to send /24 video into the HDMI Input for that to work -- for example, 1080p/24.
--Bob
So the oppo will only upscale to 4K if the input video is /24? I am pretty sure the device (nvidia shield running Kodi) is fixed at 1080p/60

Sony XBR65A1E | Oppo BDP-103
typ44q is offline  
post #24693 of 24720 Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,231
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4532
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
So the oppo will only upscale to 4K if the input video is /24? I am pretty sure the device (nvidia shield running Kodi) is fixed at 1080p/60
I discussed this just a few posts back I believe. The hardware in the 103 is not capable of 4K/60 output. If you play /60 content and select 4K output Resolution you have the option of getting 1080p/60 output (set 4K Output to AUTO) or 4K/30 output (set 4K Output to FORCED). The 4K/30 version may show image or motion artifacts due to the frame rate reduction.

(The 103D adds the ability to do 4K/60 output via use of the YCbCr 4:2:0 color space which older 4K displays may or may not accept.)

--Bob
Mike_WI likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
 
post #24694 of 24720 Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Member
 
typ44q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia South Carolina
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The thing that sucks is if I could figure out how to get the Shield to just pass the video through (which is only 24 and 30) without doing any scaling then the oppo would be able to upscale it to 4K

Sony XBR65A1E | Oppo BDP-103
typ44q is offline  
post #24695 of 24720 Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 683
After using a BDP-83 since 2009, I picked up a 103 at Magnolia as an open box/scratch and dent for 149.00. They were blowing out the 103 at 250 and didnt have anything left but this unit, which I am pretty sure was their demo room player.

The 83 still works fine but I am always holding my breath any time a new disc will play or not and at this price I could not pass it up. I am still using a Pioneer Kuro so 4K isnt an issue at this time.

The unit does have a dent in it on a rear corner but after removing the cover, the dent did not transfer to the inner frame and everything looks solid inside. So far it works just fine and I have until next Saturday to return it-which isnt happening as long as it works.

Magnolia tells me that even a scratch/dent unit will be full warranty with Oppo. Is this correct and what should I be doing to test this unit out completely?
gbreda is offline  
post #24696 of 24720 Old 06-10-2017, 03:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22,045
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
After using a BDP-83 since 2009, I picked up a 103 at Magnolia as an open box/scratch and dent for 149.00. They were blowing out the 103 at 250 and didnt have anything left but this unit, which I am pretty sure was their demo room player.

The 83 still works fine but I am always holding my breath any time a new disc will play or not and at this price I could not pass it up. I am still using a Pioneer Kuro so 4K isnt an issue at this time.

The unit does have a dent in it on a rear corner but after removing the cover, the dent did not transfer to the inner frame and everything looks solid inside. So far it works just fine and I have until next Saturday to return it-which isnt happening as long as it works.

Magnolia tells me that even a scratch/dent unit will be full warranty with Oppo. Is this correct and what should I be doing to test this unit out completely?
I would:

  • make sure the firmware is the most recent
  • reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage
  • check that each disc type plays: CD, DVD, Blu-ray
  • verify network functions: there is a Connection Test in Setup
  • test the USB ports


-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #24697 of 24720 Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I would:

  • make sure the firmware is the most recent
  • reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage
  • check that each disc type plays: CD, DVD, Blu-ray
  • verify network functions: there is a Connection Test in Setup
  • test the USB ports


-Bill
Thanks Bill

Firmware was older by 2 versions-updated
Factory default and persistent storage done
Network Test worked both wired and wireless
USB ports all tested by Saving and Restoring settings at each port
Blu Ray and CD tested

Still need to test DVD

Only thing I have found is that I was given a wrong remote (Pioneer). I had been using my harmony remote as everythingseems to work just fine. What differences is there between the 83 and the 103 remotes? I am contacting to see if the have the correct one but I am preparing for a negative.

Also I noticed that my wireless signal went from 79% to 100 % on the same router and same USB input (front) after firmware update and Factory restore. Coincidence?
gbreda is offline  
post #24698 of 24720 Old 06-10-2017, 06:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22,045
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Only thing I have found is that I was given a wrong remote (Pioneer). I had been using my harmony remote as everythingseems to work just fine. What differences is there between the 83 and the 103 remotes? I am contacting to see if the have the correct one but I am preparing for a negative.
The remotes are very similar and use the same code sets.

OPPO will sell you a 103 remote for $12: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetai...xRemote&cat=23. You can see an illustration at the link and compare it to the -83.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #24699 of 24720 Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The remotes are very similar and use the same code sets.

OPPO will sell you a 103 remote for $12: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetai...xRemote&cat=23. You can see an illustration at the link and compare it to the -83.

-Bill
Thanks again Bill.

I know what the dent on the rear corner means but my Pioneer 111FD has been used daily since I bought it in 2009 and it wont last forever. The display is drifting towards red and needs to be re calibrated by Gregg Lowen. This being said i didnt want to pay a lot for a player to replace the 83. This 103 at 149.00 fits the bill nicely for the short interim. Heck I was ready for 250.00 and hesitated on this unit because of the location of the dent but figure its worth a shot.

I have done well at this Best Buy/Magnolia location. 2009 I got a great deal on a brand new Pioneer during close out. A few years ago, I negotiated a killer deal for my girlfriend on their last Samsung 65" 8500 plasma demo unit-bought it right off the wall. Great price and in return for their not having the stand I had them throw in a 2 pr 3 year Best Buy warranty in case anything goes wrong.

When I picked up the 103, the sales person started in on 4K and when I told him that I was running a Kuro he mentioned what I already know that OLED will likely be the only thing to best that display. I mentioned that I am waiting on prices to drop a bit more and he said that they have some leftovers at great prices which he confirmed were LG B6 panels. That was my que to get out of there before I spent $$ that I dont want to do just now. LOL

Getting back on topic-I hope that this Oppo 103 will fill the bill until I make the switch to 4K.
gbreda is offline  
post #24700 of 24720 Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bob, Over on the 203 thread I stated that my 103 would play the sacd stereo track over spdif when converted to pcm. This does not work when playing the disc, however it does work when playing a dsf file and it comes up 88.2 on the receiver. Sorry for any confusion.
Icerider62 is offline  
post #24701 of 24720 Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Nope. You can set 4K output to FORCED and select 4K/2K Resolution and the OPPO will put out 4K video whether or not your set supports it.

Of course, you won't get any picture on a non-4K TV. So probably best not to try that.
--Bob
OK, so it's not like watching a 4K YouTube video on a 1080P monitor?

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #24702 of 24720 Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,732
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is it still a good player to buy? I have a 4K TV and 1080P projector in the same room, so I like the fact that I can use the 103 to feed them both. I also like the fact that I can scale output from other devices (at least I think I can) plugged into the HDMI input. However, the 103 is 5 year old technology so I wonder if the 203 is a more sensible purchase in the long run?
Hyrax is offline  
post #24703 of 24720 Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,228
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
However, the 103 is 5 year old technology so I wonder if the 203 is a more sensible purchase in the long run?
Since you have a 4K display, it makes more sense to buy a player that can play 4K source material, so I'd recommend the 203 or other 4K player.
Mike_WI likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #24704 of 24720 Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Member
 
xhattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, no matter what I do, I can´t get my 103 to play Netflix. Any thoughts?


Thanks.
xhattan is offline  
post #24705 of 24720 Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
filmnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
So, no matter what I do, I can´t get my 103 to play Netflix. Any thoughts?
Exactly where in the Netflix-launching process does the failure occur? Please describe in detail.

filmnut
filmnut is offline  
post #24706 of 24720 Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,231
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4532
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
So, no matter what I do, I can´t get my 103 to play Netflix. Any thoughts?


Thanks.
Yes. You'll get help faster if you give some clue as to how/when it is failing, and what's included in the list of "no matter what I do".

Check that your networking is live to the player: Setup > Network Setup > Connection Test

De-authorize Netflix on the player (Setup > Device Setup) and then launch Netflix fresh. You'll have to log in again. If you can't even launch Netflix at this point, check that Standby Mode is set to Energy Efficient (not Quick Start), power the player off and back on again, wait until Networking is live (check with Connection Test) and try launching Netflix again.

Call Netflix and see if they can spot an issue with your account -- such as too many devices authorized or active. They may also be having a temporary, server-side issue.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24707 of 24720 Old 07-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not sure whether this is related, but I gave up using Netflix as a native app on the 103. At some point it stopped remembering my credentials. Every time I try to use it, it asks for a username and password. Sometimes it takes multiply tries to authenticate. Quite a PIA actually.


I have tried most of the suggestions above... though not the energy saving state. I have removed power from the unit for a half hour or so and brought it back up. It continues to prompt for credentials each time I try to connect to Netflix.


I started using Netflix on the Roku stick. It works fine, though there are a few extra steps in getting to content. At least it remembers and connects with my credentials each and ever time.

Last edited by ppasteur; 07-15-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: additional thoughts, corrections
ppasteur is offline  
post #24708 of 24720 Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I am not sure whether this is related, but I gave up using Netflix as a native app on the 103. At some point it stopped remembering my credentials. Every time I try to use it, it asks for a username and password. Sometimes it takes multiply tries to authenticate. Quite a PIA actually.
Did you ever contact Oppo tech support about this? I haven't had to re-enter my Netflix credentials more than 3 or 4x in the years I've owned the 103.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is online now  
post #24709 of 24720 Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
filmnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I am not sure whether this is related, but I gave up using Netflix as a native app on the 103. At some point it stopped remembering my credentials. Every time I try to use it, it asks for a username and password. Sometimes it takes multiply tries to authenticate. Quite a PIA actually.

I have tried most of the suggestions above... though not the energy saving state. I have removed power from the unit for a half hour or so and brought it back up. It continues to prompt for credentials each time I try to connect to Netflix.
Have you tried a factory reset on the 103?

filmnut
filmnut is offline  
post #24710 of 24720 Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,231
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4532
^ My recollection is that cases of failure to remember the Netflix login are due to something screwed up on Netflix's side regarding the authorization between the player and your account on their system.

I.e., to fix it, they need to reset something in your account as well as you needing to de-authorize Netflix in the player (Setup > Device Setup) and then log in afresh the next time you launch Netflix. The combo sets up a new record in your account on Netflix regarding your use of the player as a Netflix client.

But check with OPPO Tech Support because I don't trust my memory on this rare issue.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24711 of 24720 Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't really pursued it too much. I will try the suggestions from the previous few posts. Especially the last one from Bob.
I just have found it to be easier to use the Roku stick than to beat my head against the logon issues.


Thanks ALL. I will let you al know if I get anywhere.
ppasteur is offline  
post #24712 of 24720 Old 07-16-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Oppo 103/Denon 6200 Issue Playing DSOTM & WYWH Quad Mixes

With my Oppo 103 and my Denon 6200, both with the latest firmware, I discovered an issue when playing back the 24/96 quad 2/2/.0 (aka 4.0) mix of either "Dark Side of the Moon" Blu-ray or "Wish You Were Here" Blu-ray from their respective Immersion Box Sets.

My system configuration is Dolby Atmos Enabled 5.1.4. Regardless, I am not using any upmixer for music playback.

I can only get the DSOTM or WYWH quad mix to play correctly from HDMI 1 Out of the 103. With HDMI 2 Out, I only get audio from the FL & FR speakers but no sound from the SL & SR. However, the 6200 shows the FL, FR, SL, SR as all active! The 24/96 5.1 and 2.0 audio mixes play as expected from HDMI 2 Out.

With the 103, I've tried Dual Display and Split A/V (with HDMI 1 Out going to my TV and HDMI 2 Out going to the 6200). I've got all Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed cables. I've tried swapping HDMI 1 and 2 Outs on the 103, swapping HDMI cables, and using different HDMI inputs on my 6200. I've reset the 103 to factory defaults. I've power cycled the 103 and the 6200. No matter what I try, HDMI 2 Out of the 103 will not send audio to the side speakers when playing the quad mix. HDMI 1 Out works fine for all audio mixes (of course with the 103 is set up for Dual Display).

I called Oppo and they have had no reports about this issue. Chris in Tech Support at Oppo logged the issue but it could take some time before they get around to replicating the issue. I realize they are way past the 103.

For Oppo 103/Denon 6200 owners with the DSOTM or WYWH Blu-ray discs, if it's not much trouble, could you try replicating the issue with your 103? I would like to confirm whether this issue is a global issue or specific to my unit. If it's specific to my unit, then I'll take it to Oppo for repairs. I live within easy driving distance to their Menlo Park office.

BTW, the quad sound mixes of DSOTM and WYWH are superb! I prefer the quad mixes to the 5.1 mixes although the 5.1 mixes sound very good as well.

Thanks

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is online now  
post #24713 of 24720 Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
With my Oppo 103 and my Denon 6200, both with the latest firmware, I discovered an issue when playing back the 24/96 quad 2/2/.0 (aka 4.0) mix of either "Dark Side of the Moon" Blu-ray or "Wish You Were Here" Blu-ray from their respective Immersion Box Sets.

My system configuration is Dolby Atmos Enabled 5.1.4. Regardless, I am not using any upmixer for music playback.

I can only get the DSOTM or WYWH quad mix to play correctly from HDMI 1 Out of the 103. With HDMI 2 Out, I only get audio from the FL & FR speakers but no sound from the SL & SR. However, the 6200 shows the FL, FR, SL, SR as all active! The 24/96 5.1 and 2.0 audio mixes play as expected from HDMI 2 Out.

With the 103, I've tried Dual Display and Split A/V (with HDMI 1 Out going to my TV and HDMI 2 Out going to the 6200). I've got all Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed cables. I've tried swapping HDMI 1 and 2 Outs on the 103, swapping HDMI cables, and using different HDMI inputs on my 6200. I've reset the 103 to factory defaults. I've power cycled the 103 and the 6200. No matter what I try, HDMI 2 Out of the 103 will not send audio to the side speakers when playing the quad mix. HDMI 1 Out works fine for all audio mixes (of course with the 103 is set up for Dual Display).

I called Oppo and they have had no reports about this issue. Chris in Tech Support at Oppo logged the issue but it could take some time before they get around to replicating the issue. I realize they are way past the 103.

For Oppo 103/Denon 6200 owners with the DSOTM or WYWH Blu-ray discs, if it's not much trouble, could you try replicating the issue with your 103? I would like to confirm whether this issue is a global issue or specific to my unit. If it's specific to my unit, then I'll take it to Oppo for repairs. I live within easy driving distance to their Menlo Park office.

BTW, the quad sound mixes of DSOTM and WYWH are superb! I prefer the quad mixes to the 5.1 mixes although the 5.1 mixes sound very good as well.

Thanks
@wmcclain @Bob Pariseau

Any thoughts on how to debug this further?

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is online now  
post #24714 of 24720 Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
tedhontz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I would:

  • make sure the firmware is the most recent
  • reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage
  • check that each disc type plays: CD, DVD, Blu-ray
  • verify network functions: there is a Connection Test in Setup
  • test the USB ports


-Bill
I also have a similar story to this user. I went to a Best Buy Magnolia+ store in Naples Florida. They had an OPPO BDP-103 for $150 because it did not have a remote control or a power cord. But the unit itself was in MINT condition. I asked them if the unit had the original box?

The employee came out of the back carrying a black cloth bag and inside the bag was a black box that had:

1. Brand New Sealed Remote

2. Brand New Sealed Power Cord

3. Brand New Sealed HDMI Cable

4. Brand New Sealed Batteries

5. Brand New Wireless Adapter

6. Another cable that I don't even know what it is.

The employee told me that the unit was a part of the McIntosh Display but that particular unit was never used, it was just there for show. I haven't had a chance to turn it on yet because my house is being renovated right now but since I'm an OPPO rookie, #1 - Did I get a good deal on this? #2 Do I need to upgrade the firmware and how? No manual unless it's in that box. #3 - Final question. I have a 70" Sony 4K HDTV (XBR-70X-850B). My 4K TV supposedly upscales everything automatically so should I turn on the OPPO 4K upscaler or leave the TV to do that?

Thanks guys! I've always wanted an OPPO so I'm excited to use it! I hope I got a good deal?
tedhontz is offline  
post #24715 of 24720 Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22,045
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post

Thanks guys! I've always wanted an OPPO so I'm excited to use it! I hope I got a good deal?
That sounds like an excellent deal.

Downloadable manual and firmware details here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...3-Support.aspx

I would check that the latest firmware is installed. Do a Reset Factory Defaults to start with fresh settings.

I use 4K output from the player to my LG. You can try both 1080p and 4K to see if you can detect a difference.

-Bill
tedhontz likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #24716 of 24720 Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Does anyone use the netflix app on the 103? Wondered how well it worked.Im buying the Sony 65 900e soon and included apps on that display have been reviewed as being sluggish so Im thinking of avoiding it and using netflix app on the store display 103 that I got a great price on at best buy.

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #24717 of 24720 Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Draden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Does anyone use the netflix app on the 103? Wondered how well it worked.Im buying the Sony 65 900e soon and included apps on that display have been reviewed as being sluggish so Im thinking of avoiding it and using netflix app on the store display 103 that I got a great price on at best buy.
I used it to watch Daredevil a couple of years ago and found the 103's Netflix app to be ok, fine, etc. A bit sluggish navigating but it didn't ruin the experience.
mattg3 likes this.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF screen
Sources: Oppo 103 / PS Vue / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
Draden1 is offline  
post #24718 of 24720 Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
jmacari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Does anyone use the netflix app on the 103? Wondered how well it worked.Im buying the Sony 65 900e soon and included apps on that display have been reviewed as being sluggish so Im thinking of avoiding it and using netflix app on the store display 103 that I got a great price on at best buy.
I used the 103 Netflix app before I got my 4k Sony; the 103 cannot output 4k so now I use either the Sony TV app or my Roku ultra......
mattg3 likes this.

Anthem MRX-500,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts,Paradigm Studio ADP-590 Surrounds
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV Genie DVR, OPPO Sonica DAC
jmacari is offline  
post #24719 of 24720 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Does anyone use the netflix app on the 103? Wondered how well it worked.Im buying the Sony 65 900e soon and included apps on that display have been reviewed as being sluggish so Im thinking of avoiding it and using netflix app on the store display 103 that I got a great price on at best buy.
I use it quite a bit (103D), the video processing of the Netflix signal is worth it to me. The interface is not perfect, but if I want to have a better one, I use a tablet for Netflix and then cast it to the Oppo.
hernanu is offline  
post #24720 of 24720 Old Today, 08:18 AM
Member
 
ki11abee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm trying to see if the digital copies I have on vudu play with atmos on the oppo(the movies that obviously have it). I tried American sniper and the sound is very nice considering it's streamed. My receiver and the oppo display say DD+ but I don't see atmos. I see it still in there somehow like on blu rays, it shows DOlby true HD, but it's still passing the atmos track. Am I getting somewhat of a downgraded atmos track on the DD+ track on the stream, or is it just DD+ and the DD upmix my receiver is doing is what I said giving me the atmos effect? If it's not atmos being played via vudu, is there a way to make it happen?

Samsung 3D UN65H7150AFXZA UH02;MediaLight Quad Bias Light;Yamaha RX-A2070BL 5.2.4 Atmos/DTSX
Def Tech Promonitor 1000 Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech Promonitor 800 ceilings and surrounds
ProSub 800-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner;Oppo UDP-103 Bluray-Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony One;PlayStation 4 gaming
ki11abee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off