Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 827 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3139Likes

post #24781 of 24802 Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Hi Guys,

I just bought an OPPO BDP-103 a couple months ago on clearance for $150 but its still new in box and I haven't moved in my house so I haven't had a chance to even turn it on yet. There are over 24,000 posts on this thread so it'd take a year to read them all so I hope I'm not too annoying to ask a simple question because the only thing I know that the unit can do is play CD's and movies.

My question is: Is there a way to insert music CD's and rip them to an external USB hard drive into FLAC files or a similar lossless file? I saw on another site that someone was doing this with SACD's. I don't have any SACD's but I do have a big CD collection that I would like to rip to a big external hard drive. Will the Oppo BDP-103 do this and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ted
The only reason folks use the 103 to rip SACDs is because that's almost the only way to do so.

It's much easier to do with CDs with a PC or Mac using the computer's own CD, DVD, or Blu-ray drive, since most music player software can do this.

On my PC I run the freeware foobar2000, which has the ripping function on the File menu under Open audio CD, as one of the main choices, next to Play. It can even look up the inserted CD on two online databases to find the track titles. FLAC is one of its output formats.

Foobar2000 is a Swiss Army Knife of a program which takes lots of free add-on components that can do things like make it into a networked DNLA/UPnP player and server. The full list of add-ons, with links, is on the Components tab at the foobar2000 site linked to above. (Be sure to read the FAQ on the Support tab for instructions on installing and getting started with foobar.)

On a Mac, I expect that iTunes can rip to Apple Lossless.

The 103 can play either of those lossless formats. Consult the Unofficial FAQ linked to at the beginning of this thread.

I use the 103 as a renderer (a DLNA player controlled remotely) to play music - including surround FLACs, with my android phone as the controller so I don't have to turn on my big screen.

I use Twonky (which costs about $30 to license) as the file server, since it shows album graphics while browsing, not just while playing music, and the free BubbleUPnP Server (a Windows program) to make media on the Twonky server accessible over the net by my laptop (running foobar2000 as a player) or my phone, using the $5 Android BubbleUPnP as a player. I even plug a cable from the phone's headset jack into the line input of my car stereo to play music from my home library on the road.

Android BubbleUPnP, when on my home wifi network, will also work as a controller to run my Oppo, my home pc running foobar, and my Yamaha RX-A1030 (which doesn't even claim to be a renderer but can play stereo music gaplessly under BubbleUPnP's supervision, a trick the Oppo can't do). I use the Oppo, under the phone's control, to play videos and multichannel surround files, which I don't think any AVR does over DLNA.
wagnerc likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 08-27-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24782 of 24802 Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 215
^^

Just a note to aded to the above: If your computer doesn't have a CD-ROM drive and you want to rip CDs to FLAC or some other file format, just buy an external CD-ROM drive and plug it into one of the computer's USB ports.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #24783 of 24802 Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I currently use my MacBook Pro and iTunes. I have all my MP3's that have been downloaded from various sources for the last 19 years and also my ripped CD's all in one Library. I have 38,412 songs on my collection and many of them don't have artwork and I'm not a huge fan of finding my music on iTunes. Plus they are not FLAC files. I am wanting to separate my collection into one collection with just my MP3 files and one collection of Lossless songs from my CD collection. Is there a way to have two different collections with iTunes? Also, I have all the files on my MacBook Pro and I send them wirelessly to my Apple TV and soon will be sending them to my Denon AVR-X4300H Receiver using AirPlay. Can you Air Play Lossless files or only compressed files? I have been looking at a device called the Brennan B2 to use just for ripping my CD's to FLAC files but it's $679. In the meantime I have an Oppo BDP-103 still in the box and I don't know what extra stuff it can do.

post #24784 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^

The Oppo 103 can stream digital audio files (WAV, FLAC, MP3, other formats) up to DSD64 from your MacBook Pro and send them to the Denon receiver over HDMI. You won't need to worry about iTunes for this purpose. And you won't need AirPlay.

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #24785 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I currently use my MacBook Pro and iTunes. I have all my MP3's that have been downloaded from various sources for the last 19 years and also my ripped CD's all in one Library. I have 38,412 songs on my collection and many of them don't have artwork and I'm not a huge fan of finding my music on iTunes. Plus they are not FLAC files. I am wanting to separate my collection into one collection with just my MP3 files and one collection of Lossless songs from my CD collection. Is there a way to have two different collections with iTunes? Also, I have all the files on my MacBook Pro and I send them wirelessly to my Apple TV and soon will be sending them to my Denon AVR-X4300H Receiver using AirPlay. Can you Air Play Lossless files or only compressed files? I have been looking at a device called the Brennan B2 to use just for ripping my CD's to FLAC files but it's $679. In the meantime I have an Oppo BDP-103 still in the box and I don't know what extra stuff it can do.
I am in the exact same situation. I ripped my entire CD library to FLAC a few years ago and am now looking at the best way to stream it wirelessly. (Or play it from my MacBook Pro connected to my integrated through USB, provided there's some sort of "remote" software that will let me control it from an iOS device.) I'm not familiar with the Brennan B2, but there are lots of software options, all free, to rip your music to FLAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
^^

The Oppo 103 can stream digital audio files (WAV, FLAC, MP3, other formats) up to DSD64 from your MacBook Pro and send them to the Denon receiver over HDMI. You won't need to worry about iTunes for this purpose. And you won't need AirPlay.
Unbelievable! I have no idea this was an option. Wow.
post #24786 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Help - I am experiencing audio dropouts with the 103D when playing hi res files from an external drive. The same files played directly from the original discs (DVD-Audio) do not exhibit this problem, not sure if this is a known issue. Is anyone experiencing this?

Edit: DVD-Audio discs are all ripped to 96/24 uncompressed .wav files. I am on the latest FW.

Last edited by vlach; 08-28-2017 at 02:57 PM.
post #24787 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post
Help - I am experiencing audio dropouts with the 103D when playing hi res files from an external drive. The same files played directly from the original discs (DVD-Audio) do not exhibit this problem, not sure if this is a known issue. Is anyone experiencing this?

Edit: DVD-Audio discs are all ripped to 96/24 uncompressed .wav files. I am on the latest FW.
Is this drive plugged directly into the Oppo's USB port? I've had no dropouts at all with hi-rez files, right up to DSD, coming from an external drive plugged into the USB port.

I have sometimes gotten dropouts from hi-rez files being sent via WiFi from my PC, which seemed likely related to antivirus/firewall programs running on the PC. The problem has gone away with more recent antivirus software updates (Norton Internet Secuity), except for an occasional stuttering DSD file.

post #24788 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Is this drive plugged directly into the Oppo's USB port? I've had no dropouts at all with hi-rez files, right up to DSD, coming from an external drive plugged into the USB port.

I have sometimes gotten dropouts from hi-rez files being sent via WiFi from my PC, which seemed likely related to antivirus/firewall programs running on the PC. The problem has gone away with more recent antivirus software updates (Norton Internet Secuity), except for an occasional stuttering DSD file.
Good point, and yes, it is plugged directly into the USB port.

Edit: And it is a USB 3.0 hard drive.

Last edited by vlach; 08-28-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #24789 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I used to play my FLAC rips of DVD-A disks via the multichannel analog output of my Oppo into my old pre-HDMI AVR with no problem. When I upgraded my AVR to a more recent model with HDMI and started bitstreaming the FLACs to the AVR over HDMI I started to get audio dropouts - the cure was to have the Oppo not bitstream them but send them as LPCM instead.

My theory is that the AVR, which is not used to decoding bitstreamed audio at more than 48/24 (the standard for blockbuster movies), has trouble keeping up with first decoding high sample-rate FLACs to PCM and then converting the PCM to analog audio to amplify it. By dividing the job between the Oppo and the AVR, the problem is avoided.

So see what happens if you set your Oppo not to bitstream but send LPCM to your AVR. Unless you're running an Atmos setup (which requires sending bitstream to the AVR) you won't be giving up anything other than display of the audio format on the front panel of your AVR, and you'll probably also sidestep the dropouts commonly caused by Blu-rays authored to frustrate pirates or with seamless branching.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said you're not ripping to FLAC but to .wav, which is uncompressed PCM. Nevermind!
pbarach likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 08-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.
post #24790 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^

It's a good thing to try, but I have the Denon x4000, an earlier incarnation of the OP's x4300 AVR, and I can bitstream hi-rez files from an external hard drive through the 103 and on to the AVR via HDMI without any dropouts.

One thing to remember is that the Audyssey system reduces everything to 48 kHz at most, because the AVRs don't have enough processing power to operate it at a higher rate. I find that the advantage of Audyssey outweights any loss of resolution.

post #24791 of 24802 Old 08-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I used to play my FLAC rips of DVD-A disks via the multichannel analog output of my Oppo into my old pre-HDMI AVR with no problem. When I upgraded my AVR to a more recent model with HDMI and started bitstreaming the FLACs to the AVR over HDMI I started to get audio dropouts - the cure was to have the Oppo not bitstream them but send them as LPCM instead.

My theory is that the AVR, which is not used to decoding bitstreamed audio at more than 48/24 (the standard for blockbuster movies), has trouble keeping up with first decoding high sample-rate FLACs to PCM and then converting the PCM to analog audio to amplify it. By dividing the job between the Oppo and the AVR, the problem is avoided.

So see what happens if you set your Oppo not to bitstream but send LPCM to your AVR. Unless you're running an Atmos setup (which requires sending bitstream to the AVR) you won't be giving up anything other than display of the audio format on the front panel of your AVR, and you'll probably also sidestep the dropouts commonly caused by Blu-rays authored to frustrate pirates or with seamless branching.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said you're not ripping to FLAC but to .wav, which is uncompressed PCM. Nevermind!
Thanks Philnick, that's an excellent troubleshooting tip. I forgot to mention that i am not using the analog outs of the Oppo but rather using the HDMI connection to my pre/pro (which does a much better job of converting to analog). I just verified the audio format setting for HDMI in the Oppo and it was set to 'Auto'. The DVD-Audio discs do not have any dropouts with the Oppo's HDMI set to 'Auto', therefore i'm not sure why the problem occurs when playing uncompressed wav files from the external hard drive with the exact same HDMI connection? Also, the prep/pro is not taxed by converting the files from bitstream to PCS since the .wav files are already PCM. At any rate i tried your suggestion and switched the output to 'LPCM' and sure enough i still have the audio dropouts

post #24792 of 24802 Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I just bought a Sony 900e 65 inch 4K television.Im going to use my Oppo 103 to play sd dvds and blu-ray on my new screen so should I set my Oppo 103 video out to 4K or 1080P for best picture? Im under the impression that if I set it to 4K the Oppo does upconversion but if I set oppo to lower resolution the Sony will upconvert to 4K.

Matt
post #24793 of 24802 Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I just bought a Sony 900e 65 inch 4K television.Im going to use my Oppo 103 to play sd dvds and blu-ray on my new screen so should I set my Oppo 103 video out to 4K or 1080P for best picture? Im under the impression that if I set it to 4K the Oppo does upconversion but if I set oppo to lower resolution the Sony will upconvert to 4K.
You are correct on the upconversions.

I use 4k from the OPPO, but 4k and 1080p look very similar on my LG E6. You should try both with a variety of content and see which you like best. It may very well be a toss-up.

-Bill
mattg3 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24794 of 24802 Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nvidia shield tv?

Considering my old 2095 and 103, how would one set this up in the best configuration to get the most out of it? I am thinking about Shield over the Roku. Pondering this...
Thank you!

Panasonic TC-P55GT50, Yamaha 2095, Oppo BDP-103, Yamaha CDC765, Paradigm speakers: 9SEs, CC350, & Titan V2s.
post #24795 of 24802 Old 08-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Philnick, that's an excellent troubleshooting tip. I forgot to mention that i am not using the analog outs of the Oppo but rather using the HDMI connection to my pre/pro (which does a much better job of converting to analog). I just verified the audio format setting for HDMI in the Oppo and it was set to 'Auto'. The DVD-Audio discs do not have any dropouts with the Oppo's HDMI set to 'Auto', therefore i'm not sure why the problem occurs when playing uncompressed wav files from the external hard drive with the exact same HDMI connection? Also, the prep/pro is not taxed by converting the files from bitstream to PCS since the .wav files are already PCM. At any rate i tried your suggestion and switched the output to 'LPCM' and sure enough i still have the audio dropouts
So am i really the only one with audio dropouts when listening to high resolution files played from an external hard drive and HDMI out to a pre/pro?

post #24796 of 24802 Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked: 4789
Quote:
So am i really the only one with audio dropouts when listening to high resolution files played from an external hard drive and HDMI out to a pre/pro?
Try swapping out your USB cable. If possible, also try those files on a different hard drive.
--Bob
pepar likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24797 of 24802 Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Try swapping out your USB cable. If possible, also try those files on a different hard drive.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. I will give that a try, however i am not experiencing any audio dropouts when playing the original DVD-Audio discs using the same HDMI cable between Oppo & pre/pro. My previous hard drive exhibited audio dropouts too. Incidentally there are no audio dropouts when playing redbook CD files.

post #24798 of 24802 Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I think your problem is going to turn out to be the drive part of this, so check the USB from the drive to the OPPO, including any USB hub or multi-drive enclosure you are using, and check the drive itself. If the drive is drawing its power from the USB port of the OPPO, then try hooking it up to external power instead.

If the drive has been in use for some time with many files added and removed it may also need to be de-fragmented.

-------------------------

To eliminate the HDMI path as the cause, hook up stereo Analog from the OPPO, set HDMI Audio Off in the OPPO, and see if the problem also happens via Analog.

Also, if you are playing this music while your TV is turned OFF, test again with the TV turned ON. Some new TVs are generating spurious HDMI handshakes while they are "off".
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24799 of 24802 Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just bought an OPPO BDP-103 a couple months ago on clearance for $150 but its still new in box and I haven't moved in my house so I haven't had a chance to even turn it on yet. There are over 24,000 posts on this thread so it'd take a year to read them all so I hope I'm not too annoying to ask a simple question because the only thing I know that the unit can do is play CD's and movies.

My question is: Is there a way to insert music CD's and rip them to an external USB hard drive into FLAC files or a similar lossless file? I saw on another site that someone was doing this with SACD's. I don't have any SACD's but I do have a big CD collection that I would like to rip to a big external hard drive. Will the Oppo BDP-103 do this and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Ripping discs is a task that needs to be done on a computer with a optical drive and software. If you are referring to ripping SACD with the Oppo (and others) that is also done with a computer and the Oppo networked with software on the computer that hacks the Oppo. I am not familiar with a similar process for CDs, movies, etc, nor is one needed as those are easily rippable with a standard PC optical drive.
Agreed. Get an optical drive (if you don't have one on a laptop) for your laptop, use software to rip the disc to flac, MP3, whatever, put it on a drive and you are there.
post #24800 of 24802 Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Does this also occur with both front and back USB ports? I used to play my music files from a powered hard drive without any issues, but I can't recall if I had any Hi Res files at that time.
post #24801 of 24802 Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I think your problem is going to turn out to be the drive part of this, so check the USB from the drive to the OPPO, including any USB hub or multi-drive enclosure you are using, and check the drive itself. If the drive is drawing its power from the USB port of the OPPO, then try hooking it up to external power instead.

If the drive has been in use for some time with many files added and removed it may also need to be de-fragmented.

-------------------------

To eliminate the HDMI path as the cause, hook up stereo Analog from the OPPO, set HDMI Audio Off in the OPPO, and see if the problem also happens via Analog.

Also, if you are playing this music while your TV is turned OFF, test again with the TV turned ON. Some new TVs are generating spurious HDMI handshakes while they are "off".
--Bob
Great tips Bob, thank you. I spent some time troubleshooting this and i'm getting conflicting results. The first thing i tried was to play the files through a USB thumb drive connected to the front port. No dropouts. That pretty much rules out the HDMI out to the pre-pro as the problem and leaves the ext drive & USB cable as suspect. Sometimes i don't get any dropouts for up to 10-15 min and sometimes i get them every 30 seconds, very strange. I had the exact same problem with my previous ext drive & USB cable. I tried both back USB ports. I'm thinking the only thing left is the player itself.

Edit: I guess i should try a hard drive using external power as opposed to USB powered as another test.

Last edited by vlach; 09-05-2017 at 03:05 PM.
post #24802 of 24802 Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Great tips Bob, thank you. I spent some time troubleshooting this and i'm getting conflicting results. The first thing i tried was to play the files through a USB thumb drive connected to the front port. No dropouts. That pretty much rules out the HDMI out to the pre-pro as the problem and leaves the ext drive & USB cable as suspect. Sometimes i don't get any dropouts for up to 10-15 min and sometimes i get them every 30 seconds, very strange. I had the exact same problem with my previous ext drive & USB cable. I tried both back USB ports. I'm thinking the only thing left is the player itself.

Edit: I guess i should try a hard drive using external power as opposed to USB powered as another test.
Yes, your Edit is indeed the next step.

If you've already swapped out the USB cables and eliminated any other items in the USB path (such as a USB hub), then the next most likely problem is that the drive is either drawing to much power from the socket or simply going to sleep on you at inopportune times.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page