Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just wanted to know if the 103 has built in Wi-Fi? Also is the power button and display that led blue color that so many electronics have been lately?... Gotta choose between the marantz bd5007 or the oppo..I think the oppo is probably the best bet from all the great things I have heard...guess I just answered my own question!.. Does oppo still throw in the spears test DVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 04:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Just wanted to know if the 103 has built in Wi-Fi? Also is the power button and display that led blue color that so many electronics have been lately?... Gotta choose between the marantz bd5007 or the oppo..I think the oppo is probably the best bet from all the great things I have heard...guess I just answered my own question!.. Does oppo still throw in the spears test DVD?

Wifi: it's an external dongle with an extension cord. Internal wireless is difficult in a metal case.

LED is white, power light is blue, both can be dimmed.

The S&M disc was included only with the BDP-83.

-Bill
post #2523 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

When using the video processing section of the 103, can you stretch and zoom other sources?

It works for media files. I haven't tested the digital inputs.

-Bill
post #2524 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks bill..
post #2525 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

103 came in today, I removed my 83 which actually made me sad because I love that player buy it is a true upgrade so all is good. I hooked it up to my Yamaha Advantage RX2000, ran the firmware update and through in The Avengers 3D and everything, worked, sounded and looked amazing. Very happy with the purchase.
Now I need to decide what to do with the 83.

My 83 has the region free kit in it so I just kept it in the rack with the new 103 for those blu-ray's that will not play in the 103 and it still gives me a backup player smile.gif Win,Win tongue.gif
post #2526 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

When using the video processing section of the 103, can you stretch and zoom other sources?

It works for media files. I haven't tested the digital inputs.

-Bill

In the current firmware (1114B Public Beta), Zoom does not function for the HDMI Inputs. The Picture Adjustment settings ARE available.

OPPO has not made any statement about whether Zoom will be added to the HDMI Inputs in future firmware.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2527 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I have a small problem and wonder if its know. I can't recall if it as been discussed in this thread that I read since it started. Memory ain't what it used to be.

When I play a file, video with audio or audio only, there is always a second or two of audio missing. If I stop and start the file again the audio plays from the start.

Yes. This is a combination of the HDMI handshake needed to start the new audio stream and the delay in your AVR or sound processor for it to recognize the new digital input stream as properly formatted digital audio. If using Analog audio, try setting HDMI Audio OFF. If using HDMI Audio, try LPCM output instead of Bitstream (less recognition effort needed in your sound processor). Also, anything you do to improve the reliability of your HDMI connections will minimize the chances that an HDMI retry is needed during the handshake and thus also minimize his audio startup delay.

As you have discovered. If you Track Back to restart the first track, the problem doesn't happen (because the audio stream is already established).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2528 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

Hi,

Just curious if there are settings worth exploring from the defaults? Sometimes defaults are meant to be a good starting point and to work with the vast majority of TVs and AVRs. But which are worth trying out to see if it makes a difference in a particuler setup. For example, is it worth changing deep color to anything else than off?

Thanks

Pick an explicit output resolution (e.g., 1080p) instead of Auto. Pick an explicit HDMI Color Space setting instead of Auto. You can leave Auto for 1080p/24 and for 3D Mode.

There is no pat answer as to the best combo of HDMI Color Space and Deep Color settings. It depends on details of how your AVR and Display handle the video -- which may mean picking settings that avoid bugs in them. To start, try HDMI Color Space YCbCr 4:4:4 and Deep Color 36-bit.

If you search the BDP-93 thread for a post by me discussing "Ratatouille", Blu-ray, you'll find one suggested method of deciding which combo works "best" for your gear. If you can not spot a reason to prefer the higher Deep Color settings, then leave it OFF as that puts less bandwidth on the HDMI cable (less chance of handshake problems cropping up).

Pick an explicit choice for HDMI Audio -- either LPCM or Bitstream at your preference -- rather than Auto. If you pick LPCM, then you can leave Secondary Audio ON all the time without risk of audio quality loss. If you pick Bitstream, then only turn on Secondary Audio when you want to use a disc feature that needs it (usually a PIcture in Picture Commentary track on a Blu-ray disc).

I suggest you leave the Picture Adjustment settings at their factory default (0) values. Make all video adjustments for calibration or personal preference in your Display. Use the Picture Adjustment settings (such as Noise Reduction) if you need an adjustment that the Display can not provide.

It is wise to get familiar with a good audio and a good video calibration disc so that you can check and make sure there isn't some silly setup mistake that you've overlooked. Modern TVs have a ton of screwy settings all described as "enhancements", most all of which should be taken out and shot. Do check that you've disabled such stuff, and use the calibration discs to verify that things are basically working correctly -- i.e., that you haven't missed a setting that still needs to be shot. I recommend Spears & Munsil, Blu-ray for video and the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray for audio.
--Bob

post #2529 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

By rears, I am referring to the surround channels of my 5.1 setup. I am running the Oppo analog outputs directly into my Anthem PVA7 amplifier. NEO6 processing is set to off. All speakers are dead silent until I start playing a 2 channel audio source. As soon as I stop or pause the music, everything is dead silent. If there is 2 channel source audio playing, I get the static sound from the surrounds and center channel.

I tried running the surround speakers to a different amp channel of my amp. I did have them in the rears channel anyway, so now I have put them into the output labeled surrounds on my amp.

Playing my latest Blu Ray title, Queen Hungarian Rhapsody with 24/96 5.1 DTS-HD, there exists the same noise when running the 2 channel track, but I cannot tell if the noise exists while playing the 5.1 track. There doesn't seem to be any break in the surround channel audio so I can't tell. On my copy of The Dark Knight, the static is there when the rear channels are silent when running the 5.1 track.

If it was interference through the cables I would understand if it was always present when there was no source being fed to the amplifier. However, I do not buy the interference argument due to the fact that when there is no playback ALL channels are dead silent.

Send OPPO Tech Support an email with the details on what you've discovered, and the details of your setup/cabling. They may need to swap out your player for you. They are likely monitoring email even over the holiday weekend.

This may STILL be external Interference. When you stop playing audio the player mutes the outputs. So if it is picking up external interference of some sort, that would also be muted at that point.

The OPPO guys will likely have additional suggestions for diagnosing this, but they may just want to start with a player swap out as the fastest way to check for a player fault.

In the interim, simplify your setup as much as possible. In particular, if you have anything connected to the INPUTS of the OPPO, disconnect those and try again. That would include the HDMI Inputs and also the USB connections to hard drives. Also try disconnecting networking. Also try disconnecting the HDMI output to your TV and play a disc that doesn't require menus to function -- such as a regular CD. Basically, see if the problem exists when the ONLY connections to the OPPO are its power cord and the Analog outputs to your amp.
--Bob

post #2530 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
I'm having difficulties configuring the 103 to talk to my Synology NAS over SMB. Even though "Save Password" is set to Yes, the 103 never remembers the password if I leave the Network section on the menu to do something else, or (obviously) if I power down the player and turn it back on again. Funny, it remembers my SMB user name and the number of characters in my password (because the correct number of masking asterisks are present), but unless I go in and manually re-enter the password myself it simply will not connect. And if I set up a user with a blank password (i.e., "guest"), the 103 won't connect at all.

I've owned the Synology device for nearly two years and kept it well maintained and up to date. Have any other Synology owners had these issues? Is login credential amnesia a known issue? I haven't seen it reported in this thread. Same with the blank password thing.
post #2531 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

I'm having difficulties configuring the 103 to talk to my Synology NAS over SMB. Even though "Save Password" is set to Yes, the 103 never remembers the password if I leave the Network section on the menu to do something else, or (obviously) if I power down the player and turn it back on again. Funny, it remembers my SMB user name and the number of characters in my password (because the correct number of masking asterisks are present), but unless I go in and manually re-enter the password myself it simply will not connect. And if I set up a user with a blank password (i.e., "guest"), the 103 won't connect at all.

I've owned the Synology device for nearly two years and kept it well maintained and up to date. Have any other Synology owners had these issues? Is login credential amnesia a known issue? I haven't seen it reported in this thread. Same with the blank password thing.

I've reported problems with the acct/password being shown but not actually applied. It did seem to be working for a while.

-Bill
post #2532 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Liked: 15
If I have the Oppo connected to my preamp pro using analog outputs, can I connect a hdmi device (xbox/ps3) to the player and have it decode it (dd/dts)? I have a Lexicon DC 1 with the 8 channel analog input mod by the way.

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #2533 of 17992 Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. But only for the traditional, lossy DD and DTS Bitstreams. Not for TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. For those you need to use a Source device that can decode and send LPCM to the OPPO.
--Bob
CRITICALSHOT likes this.

post #2534 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
^ I thought for some reason it did DTS-HD MA but not DD TrueHD. Why did I think that???

It is all a conspiracy to make me update my D2 to a D2v I tell you.

FWIW: My cable box seems to play pretty well with the 103's HDMI input.
post #2535 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

^ I thought for some reason it did DTS-HD MA but not DD TrueHD. Why did I think that???

Possibly a mix up with MKV audio codec support. DTS-HD was working from day 1 but TrueHD wasn't. It has started working in recent firmware.

-Bill
post #2536 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks BIll I'm sure that was it. So many options to keep tabs on I don't know how you beta guys keep it all straight.

Now if I could just push media with a Digital Media Controller server that has an iOS or Android interface I won't have to worry about the HDMI inputs. Oh yea make that server auto mount iso's too. biggrin.gif Maybe the upcoming XBMC?
post #2537 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Update:

Panny 500, Sony 790, Oppo 83/ se, Oppo 93/95 all work with my AVR

Anthem MRX and Oppo 103/5

Single HDMI cable with HDMI 1 LPCM works. Bitstreams does not.

Single HDMI cable with HDMI 2 LPCM and bitstreams are working fine.

Dual cables setup, HDMI 1 to display HDMI 2 to AVR LPCM and bitstreams work.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:03 AM
To: Brian
Subject: RE: Message From Brian

We are aware that they do not exist on the BDP-83 and BDP-93 players. This is noted in the bug report issued for this observation. At this time we can only recommend splitting the signal or using LPCM as we have no solution to this error as we have not been able to replicate it in house with the Anthem receiver we own and our Beta Testers have not reported similar issues with their Anthem receivers. It is very possible that the issue is related to the firmware of the MRX700 which is why we had recommended contacting Anthem as they may already have beta firmware which you can try on your system.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

post #2538 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
I can get Gracenote to work just fine for movie information but I can't find any MusicID functionality, i.e. get the 103 to tell me the name of a song that's currently playing in a movie. Doesn't the BDP-103 have MusicID?!
post #2539 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM

I was ready to buy oppo 103, however in reading through this thread and elsewhere I see that iso and video_ts is not playable. Most of the comments relate to people who ripped discs to hard drives and playback off of those devices.

In my case, I'd be looking to play DVDs I created that have video_ts folders or DVD-A discs that have iso on them. I guess this would be the same whether it is a disc or a remote hard drive or server, the oppo will not play these formats even if on a physical disc?

If that is the case it is a deal breaker for me on this player.
post #2540 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev700401 View Post

I was ready to buy oppo 103, however in reading through this thread and elsewhere I see that iso and video_ts is not playable. Most of the comments relate to people who ripped discs to hard drives and playback off of those devices.

In my case, I'd be looking to play DVDs I created that have video_ts folders or DVD-A discs that have iso on them. I guess this would be the same whether it is a disc or a remote hard drive or server, the oppo will not play these formats even if on a physical disc?

If that is the case it is a deal breaker for me on this player.

No OPPO player has ever supported VIDEO_TS.

ISO was supported on the -93 for about 6 months until the studios ordered the feature removed.

I don't know of a BR player that does either. You might be happier with a media server product: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-amp-content-streamers

-Bill
post #2541 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:

No OPPO player has ever supported VIDEO_TS.
ISO was supported on the -93 for about 6 months until the studios ordered the feature removed.
I don't know of a BR player that does either. You might be happier with a media server product: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-amp-content-streamers
-Bill

Thank you for your reply.

This is concerning since I play discs burned with video_ts on a fairly regular basis.

A networked server with my music and video would be a monumental shift for me right now. I still play CDs and DVDs almost exclusively over media stored on computer devices.

So Oppo is out of my consideration, which is unfortunate. Any other universal player to consider perhaps?

Thanks again.
post #2542 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM

A contribution to the list of AVRs having lip sync issues with the BDP-103... I use the Emotiva UMC-1 and am having lip sync issues with the BDP-103. Setup: HDMI1 out from the Oppo to HDMI1 in on the UMC. Then HDMI out from the UMC to HDMI1 in on my TV (M3D550KD). The UMC lip sync setting for this source is set to 0ms, which causes the UMC to automatically set the lip sync delay from the HDMI handshake.

I run into significant lip sync issues with all the blurays I've played in the Oppo. Streaming HD web video from Vudu and YouTube I've not had any lip sync issues. I've also not had lip sync issues playing standard DVDs through the Oppo. I've scanned this thread and seen several other folks are having BDP-103 bluray lip sync issues with their AVRs, which is a bit comforting. I'm not the only one. Looking forward to the next official firmware release from Oppo for the 103.
post #2543 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Actually the Oppos should be able to play Video_TS folders burned onto a blank DVD using appropriate software. This is essentially just a normal DVD disc. My 83SE certainly can play them. I have burned a number of public domain files onto DVD using Nero and they all worked. I have heard nothing that would indicate later models can't play such discs. What can't be played is such structures on a USB-attached drive or over a network via DLNA or SMB.

post #2544 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev700401 View Post

This is concerning since I play discs burned with video_ts on a fairly regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Actually the Oppos should be able to play Video_TS folders burned onto a blank DVD using appropriate software. This is essentially just a normal DVD disc. My 83SE certainly can play them. I have burned a number of public domain files onto DVD using Nero and they all worked. I have heard nothing that would indicate later models can't play such discs. What can't be played is such structures on a USB-attached drive or over a network via DLNA or SMB.

That's correct. I was confused by the requirement to support VIDEO_TS.

When VIDEO_TS or ISO are properly burned to an optical disc they are just normal DVD Video like any other disc. All players, including OPPO, should support those.

Same for BDMV and Blu-ray ISO burned to a Blu-ray disc.

-Bill
post #2545 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

DTS-HD was working from day 1 but TrueHD wasn't. It has started working in recent firmware.
-Bill

Since you brought it up, I don't think its been mentioned yet in public that TrueHD is now partially supported in MKV files with the beta FW. The player must be set to LPCM output on HDMI, bitstreaming doesn't work. Analog output also works fine.
post #2546 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I decided for now to leave the 103 in the bedroom and the 83/Roku in the family room main home theater setup. I prefer the Roku Netflix interface over the 103 (maybe because I am more use to it, I guess) but definitely the 103 plays networked based videos and audios far superior to the other devices I have....

Fun to read this thread and see how the issues are being addressed and Oppo's commitment to resolving them. The Beta guys are awesome and proof that this model that Oppo has adopted to allow the Beta group to help develop their products keeps them FAR FAR ahead of any competition.
post #2547 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Quote:
That's correct. I was confused by the requirement to support VIDEO_TS.

When VIDEO_TS or ISO are properly burned to an optical disc they are just normal DVD Video like any other disc. All players, including OPPO, should support those.

Same for BDMV and Blu-ray ISO burned to a Blu-ray disc.

-Bill

OK, this makes me feel better. I wasn't sure if playback on a physical disc or through usb would be treated differently by the unit.

I've always just made the DVDs with the video_ts folder as a data disc via Roxio and been able to play them in every DVD player. As for the DVD-A with the iso files, maybe that remains to be seen?

Thanks for the info.
post #2548 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Since the beta firmware, I have to sign in every single time to get the YouTube app to load My YouTube. (which means going to the PC and entering a code) It will not remember me.
post #2549 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallepaf View Post

I can get Gracenote to work just fine for movie information but I can't find any MusicID functionality, i.e. get the 103 to tell me the name of a song that's currently playing in a movie. Doesn't the BDP-103 have MusicID?!

Could someone please help me out (see above)?
post #2550 of 17992 Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the BDP-103. I am looking to replace a very old sony Blu-ray player and a dedicated CD player. My goal is to get both the best picture AND sound quality I can for both music and movies. I have 2 questions: 1. Can anyone tell me if it is better to use the scaler in the 103 or should I select a mode that will let my Kuro do the heavy lifting? and 2. What is is preferred connection method that will allow me to get the best sound for movies and music? Currently I have all my equipment (Cable box, blu-ray etc) running to my Denon 3808. The 3808 is set to video pass through with one HDMI cable running to my Kuro. Analog cables are used to connect my CD player to the AVR.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page