Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 585 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 208Likes
post #17521 of 18786 Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Okay fair enough. Please excuse me if you have already answered this, but is your player connected to the internet and have you updated the firmware to the latest version? Seems so simple and obvious, but it's one potential factor to be checked off the list.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17522 of 18786 Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Yes. And I tested the OPPO with my other 3D display and reconnected my other 3D bluray players to the Mit.

The symptom is limited to the OPPO and of the disk I tested so far the three I noted are problematic. My family is trying to enjoy the evening and at the moment watching Star Trek Into the Darkness 2D.

I have several other 3D's I can test later.

The OPPO is having some kind of problem with the type of disk that is formatted/coded like the Despicable Me 3D ones are. Other players do not.

My hope is OPPO will address it.

The idea that my expectation is too high or that I was trying to trip up the player is offensive.

Edit: And I'm thinking using dual HDMI out. I'd bet the problem doesn't show up if using only one HDMI output.
You shouldn't take "offense" so easily. The way you described what you were doing with the player sounded like you were trying to initiate commands while the handshaking was taking place. If that's not the case then I was wrong, but don't be so sensitive, I was only trying to help you understand how these things work sometimes.

...and yes, now that you finally admit to using dual hdmi output, which you failed to mention before, that will also cause handshaking issues sometimes because the player has to communicate with 2 different devices instead of just one.
Are your other players connected to 2 different displays or other devices via hdmi output?
If not then that is probably why their handshaking seems better because they are only communicating with one device.
Again, you are only seeing some handshaking flashes on the screen and the player is still resolving properly and not hanging up or freezing causing
you to stop/eject the disc or power cycle the player to recover, right?
It sounds to me like it's working properly. If the sight of a few handshakes on screen it detrimental to your satisfaction of the player,
then you may be better of with something else.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17523 of 18786 Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Tested several 3D's. The pattern holds regarding the disk needing to manage 2D at the beginning. Any of those that are 3D from the get go have no issues. Something about the way the disk is telling the player it is a 3D disk yet being 2D as at presents the option to select 3D or 2D is causing an issue.

Issue that only presents itself with the 103 with dual HDMI.

Edit: Despicable Me's are what I'd recommend for the source to test the issue.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 11:14 PM.
post #17524 of 18786 Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes JR all updated. Connected to the internet but BD Live turned off.

Edit: Dual HDMI has been mentioned several times.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #17525 of 18786 Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 920
^ In Setup > Video Setup > 3D Options, try setting Blank HDMI 2 Video.

If you have HDMI from the AVR to the Display, try disconnecting that so the only HDMI to the Display is the HDMI 1 feed from the OPPO.

Set an explicit Resolution of 1080p. (Not AUTO and not Source Direct.)

Set an explicit HDMI Color Space choice for both HDMI 1 and 2. (Not AUTO.) YCbCr 4:4:4 is the usual choice unless you have found reason to use something else.

Set an explicit choice of HDMI Audio LPCM or Bitstream. (Not AUTO.)

In Setup > Device Setup, turn off HDMI CEC.

If the above doesn't fix it, try also turning off Deep Color output for both HDMI 1 and 2.
--Bob
post #17526 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

"Blank HDMI 2 Video. "

Had to otherwise lost audio on HDMI2 to AVR. No audio signal at all on the HDMI2 out if not set to "Blank".

"disconnecting that so the only HDMI to the Display is the HDMI 1 feed from the OPPO."

Can do so to test. Can't do so long term as other stuff runs through the AVR to the display. But glad to test it.

"explicit Resolution of 1080p. (Not AUTO and not Source Direct.)"

Had already been done.

"explicit HDMI Color Space choice for both HDMI 1 and 2. (Not AUTO.) YCbCr 4:4:4"

Had done that as well but only for HDMI1. Left HDMI2 at auto thinking it was audio only and didn't need any color space setting. Plus I need to check the Denon. It has color space options and it might be on RGB now. The Denon video stuff is all off and the signal just passes through. So I've never messed with it. The OPPO is connected to the TV directly via HDMI1.

"choice of HDMI Audio LPCM or Bitstream. (Not AUTO.)"

Did leave that at AUTO. Will change it to Bitstream.

"turn off HDMI CEC"

I never use it and it is already off.

"turning off Deep Color output for both HDMI 1 and 2."

I do have it on. Will turn it off for both HDMI1/2.

Will make these changes and test. Still does not bode well with me that my 100 dollar Sony BX59 did not need any of this kind of fooling around to allow Despicable Me's to work properly......

Glad to test and try variables however. Thanks for the suggestions. Will get back to you in a bit.

post #17527 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's what I got.

When I pull the HDMI cable from my AVR the menu screen flashing stops. I tried all the other variables, suggested settings, etc., and the only intervention that stopped the flashing was pulling the HDMI from my RCVR to my TV.

Did a little more digging.

To my surprise despite having HDMI2 set to AV SPLIT it still has video on it. Video that is getting passed through it to the relevant HDMI in on the TV.

The TV even though CEC/HDMI control is off some how senses the video on both of its HDMI inputs. The TV does the handshaking thing until it decides which to use.

Why is there any video at all on the HDMI2 which hits my rcvr and gets passed through to the TV HDMI IN?

Given the Denon is 1.3 those 3D only disk and it don't play well together. But these disk that have some 2D at the beginning the 1.3 rcvr can do something with that signal, tries, it gets passed on through the RCVR and we have the hand shaking thing going on....

That's a guess but reasonable me thinks.

My Denon allows me to redirect the video input. I've never wanted to play a different audio for a different video source but my Denon, as do other rcvrs, has that option.

So I set the VIDEO input to my media player which is of course turned off. So there is no video signal on the HDMI in at my rcvr.

Ran through opening menus for both Despicable Me's, how can you not love them minons, and NO flashing.

The TV is only dealing with one video signal on the HDMI ports, the OPPO 3D signal.

Seems to me when I select AV Split there should be no video on the HDMI2 fed. And if I select BLANK that should also mean the only thing on the HDMI2 fed is AUDIO.

If I select multiple monitors then YES, there should be video on HDMI2. But for AV SPLIT, I don't understand why there is video present to mess with my TV's mind.

Thanks for your help Bob. Hope these results are helpful.

Can I test any other variable for you?

post #17528 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I checked the HDMI information in my Denon for the signal coming from HDMI2.

With the OPPO it is a full blown video signal.

When I use the dual HDMI Panasonics and HDMI2 for just Audio, audio is all that is showing in the HDMI INFO screens.

Sending VIDEO to the rcvr over HDMI2 when choosing AV Split the culprit in terms of the first domino to knock over the rest?

post #17529 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4
Edit: Dual HDMI has been mentioned several times.
Nope. Not since you started complaining about handshaking issues with 3D content.
You did mention using HDMI-2 in one post, but did not clarify that you were using both HDMI outputs simultaneously.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17530 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
I checked the HDMI information in my Denon for the signal coming from HDMI2.

With the OPPO it is a full blown video signal.

When I use the dual HDMI Panasonics and HDMI2 for just Audio, audio is all that is showing in the HDMI INFO screens.

Sending VIDEO to the rcvr over HDMI2 when choosing AV Split the culprit in terms of the first domino to knock over the rest?
With the HDMI spec, video is always present and audio rides on the blanked parts of the video.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17531 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mongo. Something is clearly being done differently with the HDMI2 signal between the Panasonic and the OPPO.

That makes the "Blank Video" option a little less clear however.

I'll have to hook the Panasonic back up and see if I didn't hit "Refresh" on the Denon so as to not see current HDMI input info.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-04-2014 at 02:32 AM.
post #17532 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
I am about ready to start installing the components and wiring up my new home theater and have a question. First - the relevant components:
  1. OPPO 103 BD
  2. Lumagen Radiance 2021 Video Processor
  3. Denon 4520ci AVR
  4. JVC RS57 Projector

The OPPO of course has the spit av mode where you can run one HDMI out to the projector and the other to the AVR, but I will have the Lumagen in the chain for video processing, darbee, etc. and was wondering about any recommendations (and reasons for the recommendation) as how to wire this thing up. The Lumagen has several HDMI inputs (others might connect to DirecTV box, media player, etc.) and also does a split AV type of output. So what would be best?

OPPO HDMI video (whichever one is best, have to look at manual again) will go to Lumagen

1. OPPO single connection to Lumagen with Lumagen splitting video to projector and audio to AVR
2. OPPO HDMI video to Lumagen and other OPPO HDMI out to AVR
3. Combination - can send audio from both OPPO audio out and Lumagen audio out to Denon on separate inputs
4. Something else?

Thanks in advance for any input
I have a Radiance XD. Use #s 1 or 2. Results should be the same. I currently use # 2 so that the second Radiance HDMI output can feed a 4k PC monitor.
post #17533 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Thanks Mongo. Something is clearly being done differently with the HDMI2 signal between the Panasonic and the OPPO.

That makes the "Blank Video" option a little less clear however.

I'll have to hook the Panasonic back up and see if I didn't hit "Refresh" on the Denon so as to not see current HDMI input info.
See page 53 of the User Manual (v1.8), specifically the last bullet point in the notes under "2. Dual HDMI Output," and "4. 3D Setting."

"Blank HDMI 2" means video containing a blank 2D image is output on HDMI 2 when a 3D movie is being played in Split A/V mode. This is so that the video output on HDMI 2 is compatible with the HDMI input on a non-3D AVR when playing a 3D movie.

Also see these Knowledge Base articles on the Oppo website:

No Audio When Playing a 3D Movie When Using Split AV

Understanding Split A/V Mode
post #17534 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 07:03 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Yes. And I tested the OPPO with my other 3D display and reconnected my other 3D bluray players to the Mit.

The symptom is limited to the OPPO and of the disk I tested so far the three I noted are problematic. My family is trying to enjoy the evening and at the moment watching Star Trek Into the Darkness 2D.

I have several other 3D's I can test later.

The OPPO is having some kind of problem with the type of disk that is formatted/coded like the Despicable Me 3D ones are. Other players do not.

My hope is OPPO will address it.

The idea that my expectation is too high or that I was trying to trip up the player is offensive.

Edit: And I'm thinking using dual HDMI out. I'd bet the problem doesn't show up if using only one HDMI output.
Rather than hoping that Oppo will address an issue, make sure you contact them with your concern to make sure they're aware of the interactions you're experiencing. Make sure you include the details of your system - the brand/model of TV and AVR, how you have the Oppo connected, etc.

Unless you have a specific need for using the dual HDMI outputs, it's usually best to just use 1 output and keep things as simple as possible.
post #17535 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
While playing a SACD and hitting the Home button on the remote the 103 locked up. Showed the OPPO opening screen and went no further. Had to power off and back on to get it to respond to remote commands.

Edit: Tried it again after power off reboot. Works fine now.
They will act like this-but you already figured out the fix. Just static probably.
post #17536 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ There's no such thing as audio-only HDMI. HDMI audio is embedded inside HDMI video -- always. The video of course may simply be a black screen.

What's likely going on here is actually an interaction between the AVR and the TV when the video changes format (3D on the HDMI 1 output but still 2D on the HDMI 2 output to the AVR). The AVR is passing that video on to the TV which sees two different formats of video on its inputs. Now of course only the 3D input has been selected for viewing, but evidently your TV keeps its NON-SELECTED inputs live anyway. Often this happens because the TV wants to support HDMI CEC on its non-selected inputs.

See if you can turn off HDMI CEC in the TV and in the AVR (as well as in the OPPO).

Another factor here may be whether or not you have the AVR set to "pass through" HDMI video (as opposed to processing it in the AVR).

Ideally what you would like to do is turn off the HDMI output of the AVR when using the OPPO HDMI 1 cabled directly to the TV. You may be able to do this by settings in the AVR, or by settings which let the TV shut down its HDMI inputs which are not currently selected.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17537 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

"This is so that the video output on HDMI 2 is compatible with the HDMI input on a non-3D AVR when playing a 3D movie."

Good morning. Thanks for the explanation but my experience is the audio was dropped when I enabled it and "Forced" 3D.

I'm sure it will make sense at some point but my experience and the explanation are not currently aligned.

post #17538 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

"Unless you have a specific need"

I need dual HDMI as I use a Denon 3808 that is HDMI 1.3 and have some 3D movies our family enjoys. I emailed OPPO last night. When they get back to me I'll have more information to share with them now.

Edit:

Also need dual hdmi to have DSD to my rcvr and DSD only outputs on HDMI2. At least as far as I know. PCM only on HDMI1. PCD or DSD on HDMI2. Unless that is outdated info.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #17539 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

I have CEC turned off everywhere. I've checked and rechecked. I can check again this morning. Once coffee cup number 2 is completed.....

I agree with your assessment. Which makes why my dual hdmi Panasonics working perfectly as compared to the OPPO confusing. The only thing that had changed, changed lots of settings last night of course, besides the OPPO itself is the HDMI cable connecting the OPPO and the TV.

I'll look at the Denon settings this morning. Only settings I can remember off the top of my head are the conversion settings if you let it do the Analog and HDMI conversion to send any incoming signals out through HDMI to the TV. I don't use the Denon for video upscaling so those have always been OFF, Video Conversion OFF, etc.

Redirecting the Video source in the Denon to a non available source stops the video signal from the OPPO at the Denon. But the need to do so seems goofy again given the dual HDMI thing used to work.

Edit: All HDMI control, CEC, etc., is OFF everywhere. I can't actually attempt to set it at the TV because it says, "In order to set this you need to have devices attached that utilize HDMI control." Given all attached devices have it OFF, the TV doesn't give me the option one way or the other.

Although I'm wondering if I should enable it at the AVR so the TV will give me the choice and I can then tell it to turn that feature OFF? Hmmmmmm.......

Even with HDMI control off my TV does have the technology that senses any "new" input and pops up a submenu, "I can tell you have a new input, did you want to configure it now?" message.

So some how it watches, keeps track of, etc., its inputs.

I can imagine some advantages to having both HDMI outputs be usable in terms of audio/video at the same time. Was thinking about that just now. Could setup an activity on my Harmony for non-3D viewing and it would set the TV to the AVR input instead of the OPPO. Not sure why that would be preferred but I could do so given what's on the HDMI2.

Seems also that there has to be some kind of setting so as to keep whatever it is that is not getting passed to the AVR with the Panasonics is equally OFF with the OPPO.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-04-2014 at 09:05 AM.
post #17540 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I think you've got it backwards in your memory. Setting Blank HDMI 2 Video in 3D Options should make it MORE likely that you get good audio. The problem is that some non-3D-capable AVRs (like your Denon), mistakenly report that they CAN accept 3D video during the handshake. This is a bug in the AVR, and since the OPPO is capable of sending out 3D video on both outputs, that can cause problems (may not have been the case in your prior player). The result is a handshake that repeatedly fails and retries.

The workaround is to set Blank HDMI 2 Video in 3D options, which will set the HDMI 2 output to send a black, 2D video image to the AVR (when viewing 3D content) and never try to handshake for 3D with the AVR.

When you Force 3D, you are telling the player to output 3D (when viewing 3D content) even if the device at the other end of the cable says it can't accept 3D. Normally you would leave that on AUTO, not FORCED.

So the combo that should work for you is 3D Mode AUTO and 3D Options > Blank HDMI 2 Video YES. Try that with the cable disconnected from the back of your AVR to the Display (or your new trick of selecting video to come from the media player that is turned OFF) and everything should be fine.

Once you know THAT is true, then the next trick is to figure out how to configure the AVR and TV so you can leave that HDMI cable attached between the AVR and the TV.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17541 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

"Setting Blank HDMI 2 Video in 3D Options should make it MORE likely that you get good audio. "

Maybe I phrased it poorly but that's what I had said. I have to set it to BLANK if I pick FORCED 3D or I get no audio. Which makes sense. Forcing the 3D confuses the AVR and it needs BLANK to handle audio.

I set HDMI control to ON in the AVR, the TV sensed it, enabled it to be configured in the TV settings. I could then turn it OFF at the TV. I went back and turned it OFF in the AVR. The TV's setting was still available and still OFF.

"The workaround is to set Blank HDMI 2 Video in 3D options, which will set the HDMI 2 output to send a black, 2D video image to the AVR (when viewing 3D content) and never try to handshake for 3D with the AVR."

It may not be trying to handshake with the AVR but whatever the OPPO is sending to the AVR, that signal is making the AVR handshake with the TV. And it is that attempt that is causing the TV to check the inputs, the flashing on the display. Correct?

3D playback worked fine even with setting the video source for the HDMI for the AVR to the OPPO. In other words the AVR isn't intercepting and then redirecting the video so as to keep it off its HDMI connection to the TV. No flashing of the opening 3D option menus with Despicable Me or with 3D Megamind.

A+B=C. One way or the other I have to keep the TV from sensing any input on the HDMI from the AVR. I can redirect the video at the AVR or I can trick the TV into ignoring what maybe on the HDMI from the AVR.

As I've noted something is different between the Panasonic dual HDMI's and the OPPO dual HDMI. Whatever that difference is has created the need to manage "other" options.

Not saying one way is "right". Am saying the OPPO's HDMI2 way of doing things has made matters more complicated than is really necessary.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #17542 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Assistance requested. I am posting this on three threads: Integra 80.2, Sony 600ES and Oppo 103D as I'm not sure where the problem is.

I have my Oppo feeding the Integra which in turn feeds the Sony AND feeds a smaller TV in my equipment room so that I can monitor what is going on.

Last night my wife selected a movie that was recorded on a DVD, not a Bluray, and while the picture would show up on the small TV, it would not show up on the Sony (audio worked in both cases). In fact, every DVD I tried did the same thing. Every Bluray worked on both displays.

I have no idea even where to begin looking. I have only had the Sony a few months (a JVC previously) and am not sure I have ever tried a DVD with this system prior to last night.

Any ideas.

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #17543 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Assistance requested. I am posting this on three threads: Integra 80.2, Sony 600ES and Oppo 103D as I'm not sure where the problem is.

I have my Oppo feeding the Integra which in turn feeds the Sony AND feeds a smaller TV in my equipment room so that I can monitor what is going on.

Last night my wife selected a movie that was recorded on a DVD, not a Bluray, and while the picture would show up on the small TV, it would not show up on the Sony (audio worked in both cases). In fact, every DVD I tried did the same thing. Every Bluray worked on both displays.

I have no idea even where to begin looking. I have only had the Sony a few months (a JVC previously) and am not sure I have ever tried a DVD with this system prior to last night.

Any ideas.
What happens when you cycle through the output resolutions on the player?

What if you connect the player directly to the Sony?

-Bill
post #17544 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Heard back from OPPO support. Was able to update them on what with Bob's help has been discovered. The dialog has begun.

I still do not understand OPPO's thinking as reflected in what I've experienced. While it isn't the only reason to have dual HDMI needing the audio to go to an HDMI 1.3 AVR is certainly one of the main reasons to have dual HDMI out. Seems to me the HDMI2 should by default be setup for that kind of setup. And then if you need to use dual monitors, fully do 3D on the second monitor, etc., that should be what needs tweaking.

I'm sure the Panasonics HDMI2 are setup in firmware so the only thing it does is send what is needed for Audio to the 1.3 HDMI AVR. Which is why those just work, no fooling around, when doing HDMI2 out.

Might end up with a Sony BDP790 for dual HDMI and SACD playback. I'd rather keep the OPPO.

Edit: Thanks again for you time Bob. I'm sending the 103 back. First two emails from OPPO did nothing more than explain why it isn't their fault. I don't spend 500 for a piece of AV equipment to listen to support explain to me why something isn't their fault.

I'm very disappointed.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
post #17545 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ As stated, there is no such thing as audio-only HDMI. When the OPPO is set to 3D Options > Blank HDMI 2 Video, that sends the simplest, 2D video signal that can carry the desired audio to the AVR while playing your 3D content.

Was your previous player also being used to play 3D content in the 2-cable setup? In your current configuration, the only remaining problem is when the TV is receiving 2D video from the AVR and *ALSO* switching BETWEEN receiving 2D and 3D video from the OPPO. Right?

I.e., after the 2D <-> 3D switching handshakes COMPLETE, both 2D and 3D video actually work with proper audio, even with the cable connected from the AVR to the TV, right?

ETA: If your previous player WAS being used to play 3D content set up this way -- and without this problem -- that really does suggest something has changed in your settings in either the TV or the AVR and you've just not spotted it, yet.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #17546 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 265
d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What happens when you cycle through the output resolutions on the player?

What if you connect the player directly to the Sony?

-Bill
I had the output on the Oppo set to source direct and changed to auto: problem solved - but I'm not sure why

Thanks for the idea

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #17547 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

jsmiddleton4,
I also think you are letting your frustration get the better of you here. Giving up on OPPO Tech Support after a couple emails seems premature to me.

You really should work with these guys. Don't assume you've diagnosed this correctly. Based on the number of other people who use dual cabling for 3D like you are trying to do, the odds really ARE pretty good this is not an OPPO bug. But even if it isn't -- even if the problem is in something your other gear is doing -- they have a pretty good track record helping people find suitable answers.

And if the problem really turns out to NOT be in the OPPO, wouldn't you WANT them to tell you that so you can focus on a fix that might actually work?
--Bob

post #17548 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I had the output on the Oppo set to source direct and changed to auto: problem solved - but I'm not sure why

Thanks for the idea
Source Direct sends 480i video when playing an SD-DVD (i.e., it sends the content format which is recorded on the disc). Although you might think that all TVs MUST accept that, it turns out that 480i video is actually implemented as a hack in the HDMI specs. I won't bore you with the technical details, but the upshot is that some modern TVs accept HDMI 480p but not 480i.

When you switch to AUTO Resolution on the other hand, the OPPO inquires from the TV what video format and resolution it "prefers" as input, and uses that instead. For modern TVs that's usually 1080p these days, but might be 1080i or even 720p.
--Bob
htwaits likes this.

post #17549 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
^^^^ What I've learned from Bob:

The first step of diagnosis is to simplify all the way to the basics.

The second step is to drop any uninformed theories.
RayWK likes this.
post #17550 of 18786 Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Rather than hoping that Oppo will address an issue, make sure you contact them with your concern to make sure they're aware of the interactions you're experiencing. Make sure you include the details of your system - the brand/model of TV and AVR, how you have the Oppo connected, etc.

Unless you have a specific need for using the dual HDMI outputs, it's usually best to just use 1 output and keep things as simple as possible.
I had no problem playing the Despicable Me 3D disc in my BDP-93 (yes I know this is the 103 thread), so the issue may be with your particular unit.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List