Blu Ray Without Cinivia (s580) (s590) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just recently discovered the whole cinivia thing and was expecting it really. I have a couple questions on finding a blu ray player with 3d playback that does not have it.

I went and picked up a sony s590 to begin with before i knew anything. the first thing i did was connect it to the internet and upgarde the firmware. It obviously had cinivia.

took it back

Compusa was selling a s580 so i picked one of them up and am testing it now. i know i can not upgrade the firmware. what setting on the blu ray would i change. i saw one that for notifications which i would want on i guess. i just dont want it to auto update.

Also, if i did nit update the firmware with the s590. would i have been ok? im not sure to much of what the differences are now but the s590 has a little prettier menu. no big deal i just want good looking blurays and netflix. my smart tv can do the rest.

THANKS PAUL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don't worry abour Cinavia unless you are "backing" up Blu-rays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Don't worry abour Cinavia unless you are "backing" up Blu-rays.

Or ripping them to a server for playback via your blu-ray player.

I believe the S580 series got cinavia via a firmware update.
I also believe the S590 series was infected with cinavia out of the box.
The S570 series & older remain clean, as far as I know. Of course these S570 series machines are older, no longer in production and do not have all the bells and whistles some of the newer models have. But they do support streaming and 3D.

You should be able to set any of these players to not look for firmware updates.
Even if they do look, you can simply not permit it to install.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
I have the S480 which I bought in October of last year. The original firmware was without Cinavia. The unit was without an Internet hookup for awhile, but when I did connect it again a few weeks ago, it alerted me to the newest firmware. Of course, I had the option to not upgrade. The only problem with that was none of the online streaming features worked as of that point and would not be restored until I upgraded the firmware.

Bear in mind, as I understand it, no player model introduced prior to 2012 is required to implement Cinavia technology. However, Sony is a major backer of the technology and willfully rolled it out to all of their products.

Doesn't matter to me at this point, as I do not rip Blu's or back them up in any way. Nevertheless, I don't like being forced to update my firmware if I want to use any of the added features of my player. After buying both an S350 and an S480 I can tell you I will never buy anything again with the Sony name. Not even so much as an SD card.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I recently tested Cinavia on my Sony S590 and it seems that it only blocks the disc copies. Streaming is fine. Most BD discs need a dual-layer BD-R disc to back up (unless you want to re-compress to fit into single layer). Currentlly a DL BD-R costs about $10/ea at retail store. It really is not cost efficient to make back discs. And since backup file streaming works fine, I don't think it means too much to me. Besides, not all BD discs contain Cinavia today.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I recently tested Cinavia on my Sony S590 and it seems that it only blocks the disc copies. Streaming is fine. Most BD discs need a dual-layer BD-R disc to back up (unless you want to re-compress to fit into single layer). Currentlly a DL BD-R costs about $10/ea at retail store. It really is not cost efficient to make back discs. And since backup file streaming works fine, I don't think it means too much to me. Besides, not all BD discs contain Cinavia today.

Are you saying that you can play Cinavia encoded M2TS or MKV files on the Sony? Be sure to check past the 20-min mark.
Is that a Mediatek based player?

FWIW, currently only Sony BD releases are using Cinavia.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I played a direct rip of Wrath of Titans on my Sony BX59/S590. The backup disc got audio muted pass 20-minute mark and a message displayed. The network streaming(m2ts, 1080p, DTS-HD MA) well passed 30 minutes without any of this issue.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I played a direct rip of Wrath of Titans on my Sony BX59/S590. The backup disc got audio muted pass 20-minute mark and a message displayed. The network streaming(m2ts, 1080p, DTS-HD MA) well passed 30 minutes without any of this issue.

Mediatek decoder in that? I assume so since the Oppos do the same thing and Sony uses Mediatek a lot. The bigger question might be if or when Sony decides to lean on Mediatek to remove that function.

You should get the same result if you wrap the title in an MKV container.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Mediatek decoder in that?

I don't know.
Quote:
I assume so since the Oppos do the same thing and Sony uses Mediatek a lot. The bigger question might be if or when Sony decides to lean on Mediatek to remove that function.
You should get the same result if you wrap the title in an MKV container.

Yes, but I can stream m2ts file without installing any 3rd party codec or software on my PC.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjstyle View Post

However, Sony is a major backer of the technology and willfully rolled it out to all of their products.

Not True. The S570 and older model series remain cinavia free even after the latest firmware updates. My S350, S550 & S1000ES are on the most recent firmware, continue to perform perfectly and remain cinavia free.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjstyle View Post

However, Sony is a major backer of the technology and willfully rolled it out to all of their products.

Not True. The S570 and older model series remain cinavia free even after the latest firmware updates. My S350, S550 & S1000ES are on the most recent firmware, continue to perform perfectly and remain cinavia free.

Greetings Rich86.

Would appreciate if you could kindly confirm if Sony BDP-s570 with firmware version M04.R.787 is cinavia free.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6939&mdl=BDPS570

Many thanks and best regards.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner888 View Post

Greetings Rich86.
Would appreciate if you could kindly confirm if Sony BDP-s570 with firmware version M04.R.787 is cinavia free.

I do not have a S570 to test on, so I'm afraid I cannot personally confirm. But since the latest firmware (R.787) for the S570 is from August, 2011 - and there is no indication that it contains cinavia in the description on the Sony web-site, I expect you are safe in assuming it is cinavia free. I would definitely download it & save it in case you need it, even if you do not install it now (in case the next firmware release for the S570 DOES have cinavia).

post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 570 and the 770 running the latest firmware. Both are Cinavia free
post #14 of 15 Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Quote:

Greetings Rich86.

I do not have a S570 to test on, so I'm afraid I cannot personally confirm. But since the latest firmware (R.787) for the S570 is from August, 2011 - and there is no indication that it contains cinavia in the description on the Sony web-site, I expect you are safe in assuming it is cinavia free. I would definitely download it & save it in case you need it, even if you do not install it now (in case the next firmware release for the S570 DOES have cinavia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

I have the 570 and the 770 running the latest firmware. Both are Cinavia free

Many thanks to both of you for the kind confirmation. Best regards.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many thanks to both of you for the kind confirmation. Best regards.

You're more than welcome.smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page