Is blu-ray ready for prime time yet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The last time I took a serious look at blu-ray was around 2010, when Avatar was released to home video. I remember seeing a lot of articles about how the movie wouldn't play on a lot of BR players, because of firmware/DRM issues. At the time, it seemed that the PS3 was the only 'future-proof' blu-ray player on the market, and as a non-gamer, I wasn't paying $300 for one of those, especially when DVD was still working great.

Fast forward to 2012 and it seems that movie studios are increasingly trying to entice us DVD-only users to downgrade to the blu-ray format by only including special features in the blu-ray releases. So the question is, is the format ready for prime time yet, or is it still fundamentally broken? What I'm afraid of is buying a standalone BR player, and then buying a new movie 6 months later that requires a firmware update to work, but a firmware update isn't available because the manufacturer has moved on to the newer models.

All I want is a basic player with decent PQ that will play BR movies glitch free, and that I can be sure is going to work, at least until they start screwing with the format again and adding new features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknman View Post

The last time I took a serious look at blu-ray was around 2010, when Avatar was released to home video. I remember seeing a lot of articles about how the movie wouldn't play on a lot of BR players, because of firmware/DRM issues. At the time, it seemed that the PS3 was the only 'future-proof' blu-ray player on the market, and as a non-gamer, I wasn't paying $300 for one of those, especially when DVD was still working great.
Fast forward to 2012 and it seems that movie studios are increasingly trying to entice us DVD-only users to downgrade to the blu-ray format by only including special features in the blu-ray releases. So the question is, is the format ready for prime time yet, or is it still fundamentally broken? What I'm afraid of is buying a standalone BR player, and then buying a new movie 6 months later that requires a firmware update to work, but a firmware update isn't available because the manufacturer has moved on to the newer models.
All I want is a basic player with decent PQ that will play BR movies glitch free, and that I can be sure is going to work, at least until they start screwing with the format again and adding new features.

I own 5 BD players ranging from the Samsung BD-P1000 (first player in the US) and the new Oppo BDP-103, and I would say they're definitely ready. From the two midrange 2011 players (MSRP ~$200 - Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and Sony BDP-S580), I've had no issues with actual BD playback on either of those. We're at a point where the spec is more or less final for basic playback, and any firmware updates released generally only address extra functionality like streaming services, rather than disc compatibility. If I were buying a modestly priced player, I'd choose a Panasonic player (whichever price and design meets your fancy).
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Only happened to me twice, and after restarting the old Crummy Samsung i used to have the movie played just fine. (Extremely Loud and Incredibly close) The other one was a long time ago and it may have just been a scratched disc (Cloverfield) As long as you aren't getting a knock off brand i think you'll be fine.

Ps3
BDT-100
Being able to update something is a GOOD thing

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Please post the specific features etc that you want in a BR player in the "Help me chose a BR player" sticky thread.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 107
If you want to discuss the current nature of blu ray, please do so in the existing thread on the topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1138532/is-bd-technology-mature-yet

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S580 , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bdt110
Gear in this thread - Bdt110 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page