PQLS Function - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this player and it's terrific. I had a quesiton if anyone can answer. I own a Pioneer VSX-1019AH Receiver and it's supposed to have a function that works with the blu-ray player called PQLS. I don't really understand what it does but as far as I have read it is supposed to sync the audio and video to create better picture and sound. I have enabled the Kuro link on the receiver and turned the PQLS function on (auto) and have enabled the blu-ray player to accept the function. There is a light on the blu-ray player that is supposed to light up when the PQLS function is working. I tried several discs and the PQLS function lit up once when watching a blu-ray but then did not light up when I continued watching the same blu-ray disc the next day. My quesiton is, does the PQLS function only work when needed or should it be lit continously when the function is activated? Perhaps it's an unnecessary function created by the marketing gurus at Pioneer or maybe my receiver has some glitches. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
PQLS uses HDMI-CEC to correct jitter in HDMI audio to make it sounds better. But unless you are an audiophile, I don't think most of us can tell any difference at all. In order to use it, you have to have both Pioneer AVR and Pioneer player that supports it. Never used it myself because my current Pioneer AVR does not support this feature but I certainly won't sweat without it. So I can't tell you how the light suppose to be.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It should work on anything over HDMI I believe. Earlier versions were CD only but now it works for everything I believe. That said, I gave PQLS a bench test a week ago (SC-68 receiver and BDP-62FD Blu-ray player) and every bench test had the exact same results. THD+N, IMD, and everything else was identical with it on or off. If there was jitter, it should be throwing off those numbers slightly, but they didn't change at all so I'm not sure how much value it really adds. It probably doesn't hurt anything, but I don't know that it helps either.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #4 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Surely it's more direct and conclusive to measure the jitter as was done with the Oppo players. I don't know how THD and IMD figures down to the ยต (10^-6) range are affected by jitter but it seems they possibly aren't sensitive enough for jitter down to the ps (10^-9) range. Or look at it another way, that without PQLS jitter is likely already extremely low.

PS. Back to the OP's query, if it's last year's player then the query should have been raised in that user's thread and Big C is the only one who tried PQLS.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I am not familar with the OP avr, but some elite avr's PQLS function is for 2 channel only, like my SC 35. The SC 37 is multichannel. Sometime the function has to be cut on, off, and back on with my SC 35 before the light on the BDP 430 comes on. I can tell a difference in audio quality, although it is a small margin of improvement. You will not notice it or miss it unless you are switching it on and off with the same source. I brought the BDP 430 for the PQLS. Overall, my Samsung BD 5500 3D player is a better player. More apps, faster, and can play more formats.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1019ah K 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1019ah by PriceGrabber.com