Is there a BD player that can auto output Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) regardless of what format is offered on discs? (BESIDES the PS3) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The title says it all.

The PS3 seems to be the only device I've seen that will do this. I have an old amp with only Dolby Digital (AC3) decoding and NO analog pre-inputs sadly. I don't like using a PS3 for watching BD's but I hate how none of the new BD's offer a basic English 5.1 DD/AC3 soundtrack - its all DTS or DD TrueHD, etc. So I'm forced to listen to a 2 channel down mix from the player.

If no BD players are capable of doing this, what are other options besides upgrading my amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96 View Post

The title says it all.
The PS3 seems to be the only device I've seen that will do this. I have an old amp with only Dolby Digital (AC3) decoding and NO analog pre-inputs sadly. I don't like using a PS3 for watching BD's but I hate how none of the new BD's offer a basic English 5.1 DD/AC3 soundtrack - its all DTS or DD TrueHD, etc. So I'm forced to listen to a 2 channel down mix from the player.
If no BD players are capable of doing this, what are other options besides upgrading my amp?

I believe a Dolby TrueHD track will result in multi-channel lossy dolby digital audio in your circumstance.
But DTS is a problem for you if no lossy DTS decoding is available in your receiver.
I expect lossless multi-channel pcm is an issue also.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
An old Philips and some Samsung models (inc. the D-5500, D-6700) can re-encode other formats to DD.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd D5500c 3d Blu Ray Player With Hdmi Cable , Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page