New LG BP325W Smart 3D WIFI player now released. Looks like under $100 too - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought mine, looks like it replaces the 620. Looking forward to receiving it:) Just purchased on sale from NewEgg.

Playback Formats BD-R/RE, BD-ROM, DVD+/-R/RW, DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW, Audio CD, DTS-CD, MPEG-1/-2 PS/TS/-4 AVC (H.264), SMPTE VC1 (VC-9), MKV, AVC Rec, AVCHD, M4V, WMV, 3GP, FLV, VOB, LPCM, MPEG-1/-2 L2, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC

Types of discs and digital files that can be played, such as CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, MP3, WMA and WAVE.

Maximum Output Resolution High Definition up to 1080p

Simulated Surround Yes (Also referred to as virtual surround.) A sound feature that mimics the surround sound experience using only 2 speakers.

Media Card Slot No Slot designed to accept 1 or more types of media card (aka, memory card), such as Secure Digital or CompactFlash. A device with a media card slot can access and/or store photos, audio, video and/or other files on a compatible media card.

HDMI Outputs 1

USB Port Yes

Ethernet Port Yes

Remote Control Type Universal Type of remote included to control functions from a distance. Universal remotes control multiple components regardless of manufacturer, while learning remotes can be programmed to control nonstandard functions.

Coaxial Digital Audio Outputs 1 Connections that deliver audio signals to compatible A/V components in digital form.

SD Card Slot No

Instant Content Netflix; Pandora; Hulu Plus; CinemaNow; YouTube; vTuner; AccuWeather; AP News; Picasa; Viewster; funspot; Daily Motion; Aupeo

BD Live No

ENERGY STAR Certified No

Wi-Fi Ready No

Wi-Fi Built In Yes

3D-Ready Yes

Surround Sound Decoders Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS 2.0, DTS-HD Master Audio

Smart Capable Yes

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
Once you fire it up and start using please post your review...this one looks to be at a very good price on Black Friday...like in the $40.00 to $50.00 range.

11/12/11 - Update...I rechecked the Black Friday ads and the 325 looks to be around the high 50s and high 60s. The BP125 that is non-3D but wifi will be at Wal-Mart for $38.00.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM

I also just ordered one in the "Pre-Black Friday" sale from Newegg. At this price (sub $60), it's worth a try. I figure it will at least hold me over until I can make up my mind on a real one!

Conrad
post #4 of 22 Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM

I saw upper 50's from both Newegg and Walmart. Have you seen an add for 40-50 range? If so, please tell me where. I'm counting every bean this X-mas, lol.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM

I just ordered mine. Ill be sure to give some feedback once it arrives and I get some use out of it.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Any updates from anyone who purchased this bluray player?

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM

Liked: 13
Any updates?

Specifically any info on playing those supported video files via CIFS/network file shares? Or upconverting of DVD's? How does it compare to older models like the BD390 of BD570?

EDIT: Looking at the manual online, it doesn't mention anything on DLNA, or playing fles other than via USB. frown.gif
post #8 of 22 Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM

I just recently received mine. I admit I saw a deal and jumped on it, as I have never had a blu-ray player before. The player is incredibly small and light. To me it is very basic only offers a few apps and from what I can tell it does not support DLNA. Which for me is not a big deal since I have my Xbox.

I plan on trying it out tonight with a regular DVD to see how it up-converts. To some this might be a con there are no component outs. HDMI only again not a big deal to me. The player can either be hooked up ethernet cable or wifi for updates. It does offer the ability to be controlled by a smart phone or tablet. I have the app on my Nexus 7 but again have not tried it yet. This is my first blu-ray player and just wanted to see how it worked. I have not seen a blu-ray personally before so I am excited to try it out. I have the player hooked up to my 42 inch Vizio and currently no surround sound or extra speakers of any kind. So once I use it I will be able to judge the picture quality but no so much on the sound. Come on tax time!

I have a feeling from reading about everyone's experience on here I will soon be hooked and getting a great speaker system soon. I will report back once I have ran a couple disc's through it and see how it plays the files.

Jason
post #9 of 22 Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

Any updates?

Specifically any info on playing those supported video files via CIFS/network file shares? Or upconverting of DVD's? How does it compare to older models like the BD390 of BD570?

EDIT: Looking at the manual online, it doesn't mention anything on DLNA, or playing fles other than via USB. frown.gif

Hey Mike,

This is Brian from the VCC. I just bought the bp325w from Target yesterday, and I can confirm that it doesn't have DLNA. What's weird is that I read that it didn't have BD Live ability, but the player has that feature in it's settings.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
Mark_Venture likes this.

post #10 of 22 Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post

Hey Mike,
This is Brian from the VCC. I just bought the bp325w from Target yesterday, and I can confirm that it doesn't have DLNA. What's weird is that I read that it didn't have BD Live ability, but the player has that feature in it's settings.
Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
Cool. Are you going to doing a review in the VCC Forums for us wink.gif

How does it look on playback? The no DLNA or CIFS support is a draw back for us. We have many movies ripped to HD that we play back. Our BD 390 and 570 are good for this.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

Cool. Are you going to doing a review in the VCC Forums for us wink.gif
How does it look on playback? The no DLNA or CIFS support is a draw back for us. We have many movies ripped to HD that we play back. Our BD 390 and 570 are good for this.

Yeah, I thought about doing that. I'll do a review in another week or so. I've only watched one blu-ray on it so far. But yeah, not having DLNA support kinda sucks. Its also not cool, that it has no buttons on the front for play, stop, fast forward, rewind, etc.

post #12 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 AM

It's been a shaky start for my LG BP325W. I'm using HDMI cables with redmere tech to make the connection from the LG 325 > RCVR > Darbee > Epson 5020 PJ and it's having some random handshaking issues playing 2D and 3D content. When I drop the Darbee out of the mix, it works fine, so I can't really blame the LG... yet. I didn't have this problem with my older Sony BD player, so I'm going to have to plug it back in for a sanity check! Maybe the Darbee is just flakey, or the HDMI cables are wacky. I'm still debugging that config. When it does work with the Darbee, it does look fantastic! It still looks fine w/o Darbee, but just not quite as sharp (Darbee viewers know what I mean).

One thing I can confirm is that it's kinda loud. It's very small and light weight, and it vibrates a bit when it's spinning the disks. The result is an audible humming from the unit during normal operation. With my new XBOX 360 fan mod and my custom PJ hushbox, this is now the loudest piece of gear in my home theater. rolleyes.gif

Hmm... what else... It had a firmware update waiting for it when I powered it on. I had it hard wired into my network switch (didn't trust... er... test... the wifi for the bios update), so I went ahead and did the upgrade, which it did successfully. After the update, I tried out the built in Netflix app. It was not a very satisfying experience. The app was slow (not sure if it's the app or just the unit), and crashed a time or two while navigating around Netflix shows/movies. Once I was finally able to get to something I wanted to watch, the unit did render the content well. Even the Netflix "HD" content looked pretty good. This would work in a pinch for Netflix, but I wouldn't want to use it daily. I wasn't able to try any of the handful of other integrated apps.

I did play a mp4 movie off of a USB stick, just to try it, and it played okay. I did notice some slight surging of the picture during panning scenes, but that may just have been the file I was trying to use. I'll have to try it on my XBOX and see if there's a difference...

Oh well, I bought it as a stop-gap until I get something better, and it looks like that will be exactly what it will do for me!

Edit: I can confirm that my LG 325 has some handshaking issues when used with my Darbee. I just watched a BD on my older Sony with no issues. The LG had random handshaking issues using the same cables. Again, this is only with the Darbee in the chain, without it, it seems to work fine.

Conrad
post #13 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM

I got the BP325W two weeks ago, here are my impressions:

First off, I don't have a 3D TV yet, so I can't comment on the 3D playback, although I have every reason to believe it's fine.

Overall, this little $70 player (what I paid at Target) packs a pretty solid punch and does just about everything you could want a BR player to do - and then some.

First of all, let's look at the reason you bought this player: it's CHEAP. So let's not complain about build quality or features it doesn't have - for well under $100, this thing gives you far more than anyone has a right to expect at this price point, so if you're the type that wants everything no matter how little you paid, please just go away.

BR playback is perfect. This is my first BR player and a lot has been made about boot up times, but you'd never know it using is player (I'm sure slow response is a thing of the past in general, but it's still worth mentioning that is player is more than snappy enough).

Not sure what else to say about this; the picture is great, all special features including BR Live are present and the in-movie menu system is excellent; changing audio or subtitle options in the fly is very easy. Plus, I like that the player itself gives you preset and user controlled options for brightness, contrast and sharpness from within - very convenient for a quick picture adjustment without having to bother with your TV and changing your much-agonized over presets (I was watching a movie that had way too much sharpness added in post, so with just a few clicks I was able to fix this from within the player and got excellent results).

The main reason I got this player was it's ability to play all the video geek formats you could want - all varieties of mpg, mp4, xvid and MKV should cover 99% of anything you might download, but about a dozen other formats are also covered.

Playback from burned discs or from a USB drive is supported and playback is perfect. I have tons of downloaded content on my PC, and all I have to do is copy the stuff I feel like watching to a thumb drive, insert it into the player and bob's your uncle (although I highly recommend a USB 3 thumb drive - it significantly cuts down in transfer time. An average 5 gig MKV files copies in just 2 mins).

The manual says the player can also read from an external hard drive via USB, but when I connected my 3TB Western Digital MyBook, it didn't recognize that anything was attached. I'll experiment more in the future and see if I can get it to work, but in all honesty it would probably take just as much time for me to unhook the drive from my PC, take it downstairs and hook it up to the player and plug it into the wall as it would to just copy what I want to watch to the thumb drive.

The player also supports multiple audio formats and can output high resolution audio, such as 92 and 128khz material. I popped in a home burnt DVD audio disc of the quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon and it played instantly and perfectly.

It's also supposed to be able to rip CDs to a thumb drive, although I couldn't get this to work. Waiting for LG support to get back to me on this.

The last major feature of the 325w is it's wifi connectivity. It found and connected to my router with no issues and there is an on screen key board for password typing and any other apps that require input. The first thing I did was check for new firmware, and there was an update, so I downloaded and installed it. Nice! LG is very good about frequent FM updates that fix bugs or add new features, so I plan to check for updates often :-)

Now a lot of people's main gripe about this player is it's lack of Internet apps. It doesn't come with a browser so you're limited to what LG offers as far as apps that access the net. This includes YouTube, Netflix, Vudu, Picassa and a weather app.

And that's it!

Now some may balk, but let's face it - this is a movie watching machine, not an all purpose computer with unlimited Internet access. And for watching movies, if you can access Netflix, Vudu and YouTube, what more do you want?? As we all know you could sit there for the rest of your life with just YouTube and keep yourself entertained. I went into Vudu (I'm not a subscriber) but had fun watching trailers, all in glorious 1080p.

If you purchase this player you also get one month free trials of Netflix and Vudu, so that's a nice little perk.

Overall, the 325W gives me so many viewing (and listening) options it really is a little miracle box. For $70 is lets me watch anything I can buy or download, and gives me access to 90% of whatever I'd want to watch or rent online.

So really, what more could you want? It's sparse on connectivity, offering a single HDMI and coax digital audio output, but again, what more do you need? If your TV doesn't support HDMI you can easily get an adaptor to convert it to whatever video signal your TV does accept, and you can get your audio over the digital coax output. So you're covered for 99% of any situation.

Is there anything I wish this player did that it doesn't? Only one - it would be nice if the player could connect via wifi to my computer; this would allow me to instantly access all my content without needing to transfer anything to the USB stick. Technically I'm sure it's capable, LG would just have to add that option via a firmware upgrade. But even if it never happens, for $70 I'm very, very happy with what this player gives me (and copying content to my USB drive is a small price to pay for the small price I paid :-)

Sure, the build quality is cheap and one day it may break down, but by then I'm sure they'll be another $70 player that offers even more features.

Although what extra features they could offer is a mystery to me!

Highly recommended.
Susyflower likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 AM

Oh and the previous user's post complaining about noise is hogwash. No offense, but I didn't hear anything at all coming from this machine, let alone a loudly spinning disc.

Even if the player made any noise, you'd have to have it sitting right next to your head while watching a silent movie to hear anything. So, if you CAN hear any noise coming from it that actually is distracting, either your unit is faulty or you are way too overly anal about noise.

I'm pretty anal about component noise myself, but I can't see anyone being able to hear this this thing over the sound of whatever you are watching. But if you're turning the sound down in a completely quiet room and testing to see if you can hear ANY noise coming from the 325w, I'd say you need more help than the player does.

Oh one last thing - the player has a dynamic range compression feature for the audio and it defaults to ON, so unless you're watching a movie through your TV speakers, I recommend going into the audio menu and turning the DRC off!
post #15 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks for a great review. This was also my first BD player, I agree with everything you mentioned. I also did not hear any noise coming from the machine. The player does have limited apps but I have a smart TV so apps on this player would be a bit redundant. The play back is amazing and does not take a long time to load at all, the up convert on regular dvd's worked very well. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice entry level player.
post #16 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Yeah if you already have a smart TV (pretty much any set sold these days) there is no need for a BR player that has Internet connectivity; I'd either save my money and find a cheaper player that didn't offer net features, or spend a little more on a good BR player that focused purely on BRD playback and build quality.

I think these "smart players" are for people who have "dumb" TVs. I mean lets face it - if you bought your TV more than a year ago it probably doesn't have any Internet features, so there is definitely a market for players that offer this (and if you already have a TV and player that both lack smart features, it's much cheaper to buy a new BR player with wifi than a new TV!

Or you can add an Apple TV or Roku to your system and have better smart features than most smart TVs do! Yes, even in this day and age, seperate components still offer the best bang for the buck :-)

I just got through watching a movie I downloaded via the LG's USB port. I love this player!

And no I didn't download a pirated movie... It was a fan edit of "Revenge of the Sith" which falls under Fair Use laws :-P

It was actually much better than the theatrical version!
post #17 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Speak of the devil! LG just released another new firmware for this player! That's two in two weeks. Unfortunately I couldn't find any obvious evidence of the update - as far as I can tell there are no new features or menu items. Maybe it was just a bug fix. I'm glad LG is on top of things and actively improving their products, but I sure wish they would at least include a sentence with each FM update to let you know what the update was doing.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Anyone know if this player will play 3D bluray via USB?
What I mean is if I copy the contents of a 3D bluray onto a USB HDD will this play it?

Cheers.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM

Does this unit support Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming?
post #20 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_LA View Post

I got the BP325W two weeks ago, here are my impressions:

First off, I don't have a 3D TV yet, so I can't comment on the 3D playback, although I have every reason to believe it's fine.

Overall, this little $70 player (what I paid at Target) packs a pretty solid punch and does just about everything you could want a BR player to do - and then some.

First of all, let's look at the reason you bought this player: it's CHEAP. So let's not complain about build quality or features it doesn't have - for well under $100, this thing gives you far more than anyone has a right to expect at this price point, so if you're the type that wants everything no matter how little you paid, please just go away.

BR playback is perfect. This is my first BR player and a lot has been made about boot up times, but you'd never know it using is player (I'm sure slow response is a thing of the past in general, but it's still worth mentioning that is player is more than snappy enough).

Not sure what else to say about this; the picture is great, all special features including BR Live are present and the in-movie menu system is excellent; changing audio or subtitle options in the fly is very easy. Plus, I like that the player itself gives you preset and user controlled options for brightness, contrast and sharpness from within - very convenient for a quick picture adjustment without having to bother with your TV and changing your much-agonized over presets (I was watching a movie that had way too much sharpness added in post, so with just a few clicks I was able to fix this from within the player and got excellent results).

The main reason I got this player was it's ability to play all the video geek formats you could want - all varieties of mpg, mp4, xvid and MKV should cover 99% of anything you might download, but about a dozen other formats are also covered.

Playback from burned discs or from a USB drive is supported and playback is perfect. I have tons of downloaded content on my PC, and all I have to do is copy the stuff I feel like watching to a thumb drive, insert it into the player and bob's your uncle (although I highly recommend a USB 3 thumb drive - it significantly cuts down in transfer time. An average 5 gig MKV files copies in just 2 mins).

The manual says the player can also read from an external hard drive via USB, but when I connected my 3TB Western Digital MyBook, it didn't recognize that anything was attached. I'll experiment more in the future and see if I can get it to work, but in all honesty it would probably take just as much time for me to unhook the drive from my PC, take it downstairs and hook it up to the player and plug it into the wall as it would to just copy what I want to watch to the thumb drive.

The player also supports multiple audio formats and can output high resolution audio, such as 92 and 128khz material. I popped in a home burnt DVD audio disc of the quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon and it played instantly and perfectly.

It's also supposed to be able to rip CDs to a thumb drive, although I couldn't get this to work. Waiting for LG support to get back to me on this.

The last major feature of the 325w is it's wifi connectivity. It found and connected to my router with no issues and there is an on screen key board for password typing and any other apps that require input. The first thing I did was check for new firmware, and there was an update, so I downloaded and installed it. Nice! LG is very good about frequent FM updates that fix bugs or add new features, so I plan to check for updates often :-)

Now a lot of people's main gripe about this player is it's lack of Internet apps. It doesn't come with a browser so you're limited to what LG offers as far as apps that access the net. This includes YouTube, Netflix, Vudu, Picassa and a weather app.

And that's it!

Now some may balk, but let's face it - this is a movie watching machine, not an all purpose computer with unlimited Internet access. And for watching movies, if you can access Netflix, Vudu and YouTube, what more do you want?? As we all know you could sit there for the rest of your life with just YouTube and keep yourself entertained. I went into Vudu (I'm not a subscriber) but had fun watching trailers, all in glorious 1080p.

If you purchase this player you also get one month free trials of Netflix and Vudu, so that's a nice little perk.

Overall, the 325W gives me so many viewing (and listening) options it really is a little miracle box. For $70 is lets me watch anything I can buy or download, and gives me access to 90% of whatever I'd want to watch or rent online.

So really, what more could you want? It's sparse on connectivity, offering a single HDMI and coax digital audio output, but again, what more do you need? If your TV doesn't support HDMI you can easily get an adaptor to convert it to whatever video signal your TV does accept, and you can get your audio over the digital coax output. So you're covered for 99% of any situation.

Is there anything I wish this player did that it doesn't? Only one - it would be nice if the player could connect via wifi to my computer; this would allow me to instantly access all my content without needing to transfer anything to the USB stick. Technically I'm sure it's capable, LG would just have to add that option via a firmware upgrade. But even if it never happens, for $70 I'm very, very happy with what this player gives me (and copying content to my USB drive is a small price to pay for the small price I paid :-)

Sure, the build quality is cheap and one day it may break down, but by then I'm sure they'll be another $70 player that offers even more features.

Although what extra features they could offer is a mystery to me!

Highly recommended.

Hii, COuld you solve the probem with the 3 tb western disk? i have the same problem and i don´t know how to make it work and i really need that feature. Thanks.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Hii, COuld you solve the probem with the 3 tb western disk? i have the same problem and i don´t know how to make it work and i really need that feature. Thanks.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Hi everyone...
I have problem and need your help....
I have got LG blu-ray player BP325 (region codes: 2 and B) and it cannot play disks from US (I think region code is 1).
Is there any possible way to make it "region free" player?

thanks in advance.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Electronics Bp325w 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page