PROBLEM. Calling all Marantz UD9004 & UD8004 owners. Need Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi to all

I'm putting a help call out to all Marantz UD9004 and UD8004 universal player owners to possibly help me find a solution to a annoying but real problem with my Marantz universal player.
I have read through the posts and threads for these players and have noticed that some of you have had issues playing some 20th Century Fox Movies.

My unit has troubles with the movies - Knight and Day, ROTPOT Apes, 127 Hours, X-Men First Class, Water for Elephants and Chronicle. All these movies will start playing but at the 30 minute mark they will start to pixelate, audio is still perfectly playing but video eventually will freeze. I also noticed that these movies have a resume playback feature, so when i eject the disc after it has frozen and then reinsert it, it asks for resume playback and does so perfectly fine (both audio and video) from where it left off for another 30 minutes and then starts to pixelate again.

I'm in Australia and my unit was purchased from an Australian retailer where the players have been blocked by the distributor from doing firmware upgrades over the net. THE UNITS MUST BE RETURNED TO THE DISTRIBUTOR FOR THE FIRMWARE UPGRADES TO BE APPLIED. I have done this a month ago and they loaded the latest firmware upgrade but it did not fix the issues. same movies create the same problem. All other movies play fine.

Those of you who have had issues did your firmware upgrades fix the 20th Century Fox issues?
Have you found any new release movies cause you any problems?

How can you tell what the latest version firmware is and whats on your unit?

Are the firmware versions different from Australia to USA to Europe to Asia?

I know its only 5 movies at this stage but i would like to get to the bottom of it and have a fix applied, the distributors here are giving me the run around in finding a solution.

Any feedback and info would be much appreciated

cheers

Ian from Aus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Was hoping there would be some owners of these 2 units that could provide some info, please.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

there must be some one out there that owns or has owned these units that could give me some feedback in regards to my questions. PLEASE
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
I have the same issue but no solution. I'm in the USA. My Ladies and Gentleman - The Rolling Stones bluray has the same pixel issues. Sound is fine. It is driving me crazy. Plays fine on my sony bluray player. Nothing but pixels on my UD8004.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian007 View Post

I have the same issue but no solution. I'm in the USA. My Ladies and Gentleman - The Rolling Stones bluray has the same pixel issues. Sound is fine. It is driving me crazy. Plays fine on my sony bluray player. Nothing but pixels on my UD8004.

thanks for your reply
thats freaky, your name is Ian as well, you also own the same unit as me and are having the same issues
do you have the latest firmware?
the rolling stone blu-ray thats giving you trouble, is it a 20th Century Fox movie?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM

I also thought that was a nice coincidence. The title is from Eagle Vision entertainment. It is not a 20th Century. I have been looking all over the web for weeks trying to find some answers and came across your post.

I have never updated the firmware. I read some post in other forums that updating the firmware can be rather difficult. I also came across a disclaimer from Marantz:
"Once you have registered with your serial number you can download the software free of charge and update your product at your own risk and responsibility. Please bear in mind that a failed software update might result in a partialy or completely malfunction of your unit. In such case a repair could be comprehensive and quite expensive.Marantz assumes no responsibility for and shall have no liability of any kind with respect to any problems encountered in conjunction with or arising out of the downloading of the Software, including, without limitation, problems resulting from any interruption that may have occurred while downloading the Software. Marantz shall not be required to provide you with any technical support or services of any kind relating to the Software.
Marantz recommends you to update your unit only in case where some problem has been encountered.To update the firmware of your product feel free to contact the authorized Marantz-retailer where you have purchased your Marantz product. Phone number and the address of your retailer you can find on here. "

I didn't like the sound of that.
Marantz's tech support said they will answer my query in less than 3 business days. Hopefully they can walk me through the firmware update if that is what is needed.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I pretty much guarentee that a firmware upgrade will fix your problem with that disc. If you are worried about doing it yourself (by the way most owners upgrade via the net themselves with no problems) it might be better to see what they have to say before doing anything.

have you played and had any trouble with the movies - Day and Knight, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, X-Men first Class, Chronicle, 127 Hours or Water for Elephants?

My unit is actually locked out by the Distributor so i can't perform any upgrades even if i wanted too.

Hope all works out for you.

If you haven't watched any of the above movies i mentioned on your player could i possibly ask a favour of you?
Could you please watch any of them and see if the pixelation happens with your machine. it normally happens around the 30 minute mark.

cheers and regards
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

I think I can be of any help. Please send me an e-mail: knokki@scarlet.nl
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player , Marantz
Gear in this thread

User Tag List