Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
JRDiAndrea's Avatar JRDiAndrea 08:20 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Both of you should definitely write up the details of your cabling and settings, along with the bar-code numbers from the packaging of the discs you are using to replicate this problem, and email that to OPPO Tech Support.

Be sure to mention that it is happening with DVD-Audio discs as well.

I've not seen any indication of this being a wide-spread problem, so it may be peculiar to the particular discs you happen to be using, or to the specifics of your settings in the 105. For example whether or not Quick Start is in use. It may also be a case where the key factor is what you were playing in the 105 just prior to the problem surfacing each time. For example Pandora app, or a normal CD disc. Try to keep track of what you were last doing with the player prior to the problem and see if you can spot a pattern.
--Bob

For me this occurs with all discs.Ihave tried at least 20 and get the same results. Happens when Ifirst power my system up and after watching a bluray movie. Alway first get only 2 channels. Must then recycle the player and then plays correctly. Evrytime. At least its consistant.

Arrius's Avatar Arrius 08:21 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleClef View Post

Sigh.
I guess I need to read your previously recommended FAQs or other threads, on how and where to configure this.
I suppose since I already have my 105 connected to my network via ethernet via it should be pretty straightforward. I'm assuming a setting somewhere in the sofrware (J River, et al)
Thanks. The help is much appreciated.
Hi TrebleClef,

I have MC18 streaming Multichannel files to the 105.
Here is a link on JRiver forum that explain a bit what settings are required. If you need more, just ask!

Best
Kami
gsr's Avatar gsr 08:28 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:

Sigh.

I guess I need to read your previously recommended FAQs or other threads, on how and where to configure this.

I suppose since I already have my 105 connected to my network via ethernet via it should be pretty straightforward. I'm assuming a setting somewhere in the sofrware (J River, et al)

Thanks. The help is much appreciated.
In J River, goto Tools -> Media Network and make sure that "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" is checked. Then under Advanced, make sure that "DLNA Server (share your media with other DLNA devices)" is checked. Then on the Oppo, under "Network" from the Home menu, the PC should show up as a DLNA server and you can then navigate to your Music, Photos, and Videos.

As an alternative, if you have a supported smart device (such as an iPhone or iPad), you can install the JRemote app and use J River as a DLNA Controller and the BDP-105 as a DLNA Renderer. This would allow you, for example, to select the music to play on your iPad (or other supported device) and have it actually play on the Oppo. This would give you a FAR better way to browse through your music than the file browser that's build into the Oppo, use playlists that you've defined in J River, etc.

All of this happens over your wired or wireless network connection - nothing to do with the USB ports.
RouslanB's Avatar RouslanB 09:46 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Like this?

Of course that's the cool part of TCP - it will re-transmit if necessary. Doesn't mean it will be necessary, nor does it mean a re-transmit will result in any real data loss.

Good performing wireless should be more than adequate for the Oppo's streaming needs.

Chris.
I am glad your WiFi is working fine. How many WiFi devices you have?
If you have 20 or 30 in close proximity the packet loss is likely to show up.
On MIT WiFi average packet loss is 2%. This type of packet loss may increase your latency and jitter and negatively impact your bandwidth especially if you are streaming from some distant location. Here is a couple of links if needed:

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetech/#!/entry/increasing-wireless-network-speed-by-1000-by-replacing-packets-with,50f8975294f4be7169354560

Another link is here:

http://fasterdata.es.net/network-tuning/tcp-issues-explained/

I prefer wired Ethernet at my place, but I am glad WiFi is working well for you
falconsprint's Avatar falconsprint 09:47 PM 01-20-2013
Tried the Rhapsody service today on my 105. Worked great until about 4 minute into a 10 minute track when suddenly the music skipped ahead about 4 minutes. The display time didn't jump, but the music certainly did (it was a track I was familiar with). When the music stopped the timer was in the 6 minutes out of 10 range and then switched to the next track. Since this doesn't happen when I play a track using the PC client I assume that this is an issue with the Rhapsody client on the 105. Can this be reported as a bug?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:51 PM 01-20-2013
^ This is a known problem. OPPO Engineering is working the issue with Rhapsody.
--Bob
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 11:23 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I know the distance settings in the 105 pertain to the MCH analogs but do they also work for the stereo outs?
Do you mean by setting the LF to 1ft and RF to 12ft ? In stereo there is really only 2 speakers.

No and yes, i know stereo is 2 speakers only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Only if they're configured as FL / FR. If they're set to the stereo downmix option, those settings don't apply.

You've tried it? Unfortunately, also in stereo downmix mode the settings are active.

The suprise is that the distance settings are active if downmix is set to stereo[biggrin.gif], contrary to what has been said earlier. Frankly, this is how it should be for i'd need the ability to set distanced for my XLR outs.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I know the distance settings in the 105 pertain to the MCH analogs but do they also work for the stereo outs?
Only if they're configured as FL / FR. If they're set to the stereo downmix option, those settings don't apply.

Nope, Nope Nopebiggrin.gif!

dudley07726's Avatar dudley07726 06:29 AM 01-21-2013
Downloaded the new firmware yesterday (Main Version: BDP10X-38-1220). Went to watch a movie last night and noticed that the subwoofer was not working. It was before the firmware upgrade. Went to the speaker settings and it was off. It was definitely on before the upgrade. Do the upgrades sometimes do things like turning the sub off when it was on?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 06:35 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

Downloaded the new firmware yesterday (Main Version: BDP10X-38-1220). Went to watch a movie last night and noticed that the subwoofer was not working. It was before the firmware upgrade. Went to the speaker settings and it was off. It was definitely on before the upgrade. Do the upgrades sometimes do things like turning the sub off when it was on?

The upgrade itself doesn't, but doing the Reset Defaults step will change many settings.

If you had a change without doing a reset, you should report that to OPPO.

-Bill
dudley07726's Avatar dudley07726 06:51 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The upgrade itself doesn't, but doing the Reset Defaults step will change many settings.

If you had a change without doing a reset, you should report that to OPPO.

-Bill

I did not do a reset.
gnoto's Avatar gnoto 06:58 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

Confirmed. However, the Trim is not active - just distance. Doesn't seem like the worst thing (unless where you sit for surround is different from stereo listening), but odd that Trim then doesn't also work. rolleyes.gif

I'm curious how you discovered this and how you tested it.

Steve

I used my ears ... wink.gif
ehlarson's Avatar ehlarson 07:37 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

1) See the image I posted - no errors, therefore it really doesn't matter. If you have error prone wireless or wired you may have problems. The point is that wireless is not, in and of itself, inherently a problem.

2) UDP is only used for discovery - not a critical scenario.

1. Wireless is far more sensitive to interference. It is inherently less reliable.

2. Version 1.5 of uPnP can optionally use the RTP protocol for streaming, which normally uses UDP.
darkphader's Avatar darkphader 09:19 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RouslanB View Post

I am glad your WiFi is working fine. How many WiFi devices you have?

Just 10: two phones, two tablets, three Nooks, a laptop, a Panny GT50, and the Oppo.

My wireless headphones also run on the 2.4G band but do not connect to the AP. Was worried that they may cause enough interference (as they sit on top the Oppo) to be problematic, but fortunately not so.

Quote:
If you have 20 or 30 in close proximity the packet loss is likely to show up.

Unlikely to happen here. I also don't see the average household with that many devices as well. If so maybe more than one AP is called for reliability.

Quote:
I prefer wired Ethernet at my place, but I am glad WiFi is working well for you

I can understand that. My point is that good performing wireless is more than adequate for the Oppo and every end user should understand that. It doesn't mean that their wireless performance is currently good enough but in most cases it can be made so and very often for less than some properly installed drops. Self installed drops by someone without adequate knowledge and skills can also be problematic - a wire, in and of itself, does not guarantee great performance.

Chris
TrebleClef's Avatar TrebleClef 10:05 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Hi TrebleClef,

I have MC18 streaming Multichannel files to the 105.
Here is a link on JRiver forum that explain a bit what settings are required. If you need more, just ask!

Best
Kami

Hey, that's great. I can't wait to try that out tonight!

Thank you very much.

What INPUT SOURCE do I set on the OPPO when it is receiving digital music via ethernet? FWIW, I have the 105 connected directly to my power amps.
TrebleClef's Avatar TrebleClef 10:12 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

In J River, goto Tools -> Media Network and make sure that "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" is checked. Then under Advanced, make sure that "DLNA Server (share your media with other DLNA devices)" is checked. Then on the Oppo, under "Network" from the Home menu, the PC should show up as a DLNA server and you can then navigate to your Music, Photos, and Videos.

As an alternative, if you have a supported smart device (such as an iPhone or iPad), you can install the JRemote app and use J River as a DLNA Controller and the BDP-105 as a DLNA Renderer. This would allow you, for example, to select the music to play on your iPad (or other supported device) and have it actually play on the Oppo. This would give you a FAR better way to browse through your music than the file browser that's build into the Oppo, use playlists that you've defined in J River, etc.

All of this happens over your wired or wireless network connection - nothing to do with the USB ports.

OK, now I'm officially excited.

The compelling possiblity of tablet input aside, can I not control the music player from the excellent J River interface instead of the primitive OPPO presentation?

Thanks for your assistance.
obie_fl's Avatar obie_fl 10:25 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

The compeeling possiblity of tablet input aside, can I not control the music player from the excellent J River interface instead of the primitive OPPO presentation?

If you mean directly on the Oppo No.
bgunn's Avatar bgunn 10:56 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

[...] We have a separate thread here on DLNA for OPPO.

-Bill

Can someone point me to this thread? Searching this thread for DLNA is unwieldy, and I havent been able to query multiple strings with any success.

If anyone would like to help me select DLNA software to stream (mostly) FLACs from a Win 7 laptop to an Oppo 105, I'd appreciate it. It's my goal to get this working today. I'd prefer freeware, but a trial on $oftware is acceptable as well (ala JRiver).
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 11:19 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgunn View Post

Can someone point me to this thread? Searching this thread for DLNA is unwieldy, and I havent been able to query multiple strings with any success.

If anyone would like to help me select DLNA software to stream (mostly) FLACs from a Win 7 laptop to an Oppo 105, I'd appreciate it. It's my goal to get this working today. I'd prefer freeware, but a trial on $oftware is acceptable as well (ala JRiver).

Only thing you need for the 105 is very basic server function, since no transcoding is required or desired. oShare fits that description. It may be a little quirky, try to avoid making any changes to your "library" while the server is running. It will not offer the ability to "push" content, you have to "pull" it from the player.
gsr's Avatar gsr 11:26 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

The compelling possiblity of tablet input aside, can I not control the music player from the excellent J River interface instead of the primitive OPPO presentation?

Yes, J River itself can also be the DLNA Controller and send the playback output to the Oppo. In the J River interface "Playing Now" section, your Oppo should show up as a choice. Select it and then select what you want to play and it should work.

The ability for the Oppo players to be DLNA renderers opens up a lot of options for controlling playback of your media files smile.gif.
TrebleClef's Avatar TrebleClef 11:28 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

If you mean directly on the Oppo No.

What I mean is PUSHING it to the OPPO via the rich, full featured J River GUI, versus PULLING it from the OPPO'S very rudimentary interface.

Thanks.
bgunn's Avatar bgunn 11:31 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

[...] oShare fits that description.[...] It will not offer the ability to "push" content, you have to "pull" it from the player.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess "pushing" content is what I want to do. Otherwise I could just hook up my outboard USB drive to the Oppo and access it from there.

I'd like to have the USB drive connected to my laptop, select the FLAC I'd like to play and have it stream over my wireless network to the Oppo and have it play over the system the 105's connected to.

Sorry, I should have been more detailed in my goals.
obie_fl's Avatar obie_fl 11:59 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

What I mean is PUSHING it to the OPPO via the rich, full featured J River GUI, versus PULLING it from the OPPO'S very rudimentary interface.

Thanks.
Sorry misunderstood of course it can push thanks to the 105 being a DMR (Digital Media Renderer) in addition to being a DMP (Player) .
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 12:02 PM 01-21-2013
Quote:

Quote:

[...] We have a separate thread here on DLNA for OPPO.

-Bill

Can someone point me to this thread?

Here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-dlna-upnp-thread

-Bill
Wayne Z's Avatar Wayne Z 12:11 PM 01-21-2013
I received a new BDP-105 a few days ago. I just want to ask a question about hookup without reading the 3,118 posts that are on this thread already. The 105 output can be connected in four ways: (1) HDMI 1 out for video and audio; (2) HDMI 2 out which allows DSD bitstream transmission to the AVR; (3) two analog channels out in either RCA or XLR (my Integra 80.3 does not have any XLR inputs); and, (4) eight analog channels out in which the Oppo decodes DSD, DVD-A or other multi-channel formats. The question is what are the advantages of using all four of these options? For instance, is there an advantage to using both options (3) and (4), or would that be unnecessary because, for two channel CDs, the FL and FR outputs from the eight channel analog are the same as the two channel analog outputs?
bgunn's Avatar bgunn 12:15 PM 01-21-2013
Well, I'm making progress, using the 105 owners manual, I was able to get my wireless talking to the Oppo. Now I just need some software to "push" my files to the Oppo. According to the manual (bullet 2 and 3 on pg 44), I can either:

• Use a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) which requires a "DMR-capable media server."
  • Accessing a SMB/CIFS client. This 2nd option may already be available as Microsoft Windows Network which is likely part of Win7 Enterprise (the OS I'm using).

Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in Advance.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 12:22 PM 01-21-2013
Quote:

Well, I'm making progress, using the 105 owners manual, I was able to get my wireless talking to the Oppo. Now I just need some software to "push" my files to the Oppo. According to the manual (bullet 2 and 3 on pg 44), I can either:

• Use a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) which requires a "DMR-capable media server."
  • Accessing a SMB/CIFS client. This 2nd option may already be available as Microsoft Windows Network which is likely part of Win7 Enterprise (the OS I'm using).

Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in Advance.

The FAQ lists DMC programs people have reported using: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

If you have a Windows system on your network then SMB is available from it. NAS appliances often have SMB and DLNA. Linux users install SAMBA for SMB.

-Bill
bgunn's Avatar bgunn 12:35 PM 01-21-2013
Quote:

The FAQ lists DMC programs people have reported using: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer? [...]

Funny, I started off my quest by looking at the very next section of the FAQ "What are some DLNA servers?" When I thought a DLNA server was what I needed.

I think I'll try it with Windows Media Player until I find something limiting/maddening about it, or until someone pipes up with "dont use that POC, use this instead..."

Thanks again Bill for your help. I am trying to use the reference materials out there, but people's replies really do help clarify. I promise to patiently answer questions for other noobs once I get this thing working and am comfortable with the technology.
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 01:06 PM 01-21-2013
For DLNA DMP I like oShare.

For DLNA DMR I like JRiver Media Center or Foobar2000 if you need audio only.
Albval's Avatar Albval 01:08 PM 01-21-2013
I have a PC at 25 ft. away of the 105 connected to the oppo HDMI input in the back, also connected the dedicated stereo analog outputs to CD inputs on the receiver.
I already install the OPPO software driver in the PC.
The results are very good, but I am not sure if in this way the oppo is processing the PC signal through the stereo ES9018 DAC section, or the PC needs to be specifically connected to the (USB DAC) to perform the best dedicated 2-channel analog output.
Thanks for your help
Alberto
tyroneslothrop's Avatar tyroneslothrop 01:16 PM 01-21-2013
I bought an external IR remote sensor and plugged it into the IR IN port of the BDP-105 as it says to do on page 24 of the manual. However, it doesn't work. I assume because of an IR frequency mismatch with the remote control. Does anyone know what brand/models of external IR remote sensor(s) are known to work with the BDP-105?
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop