15Likes

post #3151 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

When doing this conversion, do you loose all your metadata or at least your album art? Someone mentioned this to be me before which is why I never tried it.

No, you don't lose anything - you should try dBPoweramp conversion on a few test folders - it works amazingly and the entire suite is a very handy toolset.

Stephen Powell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

There is absolutely no need to re-rip. Just use a converter.

I personally like dbpoweramp but there are many others.

Unfortunately we only have three macs at home and no windows. I have a ex495 server running WHS. I can remote in to that and see if dbpoweramp can be run there.
post #3153 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

When doing this conversion, do you loose all your metadata or at least your album art? Someone mentioned this to be me before which is why I never tried it.

I just rip to WAV and then batch converted them to FLAC.
All files have meta data and the album art is preserved.

Size on disk went from 653 MB to 246 MB.
The conversion took 17 seconds.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3154 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
FMD

Liked: 12
+1

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #3155 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post

Hello All

I got my 105 yesterday and been playing with it. I have a quick question using this as a DAC for my Squeezebox Touch. I am running an optical out from SB Touch and into 105. From 105 I am using balanced stereo connection to AV8003 (AV is in pure direct mode). My question is how do I program my Harmony 900 remote to select the Optical as input in Oppo 105. Now I am manually pressing Input on my Harmony 900 remote till it gets there.

Thanks in advance

On my Harmony 880 -- may the programmers of it rot in Hell -- I had to add a 20 (twenty!) second delay before sending Input, because that's how long it takes for the BDP-105 to turn on and start reliably accepting remote commands. It's a nuisance if the Oppo was already on, but I don't think it's possible to make the Harmony take conditional actions.
post #3156 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

We have a FAQ article on that: How do I select an INPUT source with a programmable remote?

-Bill

Do you maintain the FAQ? If so, I don't think it's necessary to send Enter for this action. Just Input, then 7, is sufficient.
post #3157 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker View Post

On my Harmony 880 -- may the programmers of it rot in Hell -- I had to add a 20 (twenty!) second delay before sending Input, because that's how long it takes for the BDP-105 to turn on and start reliably accepting remote commands. It's a nuisance if the Oppo was already on, but I don't think it's possible to make the Harmony take conditional actions.

You could use quick-start mode to speed it up.
Otherwise, you can make another Activity for fast startup.

My Pronto is a PIA to program, but I get what I want smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3158 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Do you maintain the FAQ? If so, I don't think it's necessary to send Enter for this action. Just Input, then 7, is sufficient.

I do but that is based on someone else's report. If you can confirm that Enter is not required I'll change it.

-Bill
post #3159 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

I do but that is based on someone else's report. If you can confirm that Enter is not required I'll change it.

-Bill

Not required; I programmed "Input" "7" and it switches to the Coax Input.
lanping09 likes this.

Stephen Powell
post #3160 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Two Reasons I am keeping Squeezebox:

1. Squeezebox app lets me see album/artist etc using iPad app. I don't have to keep my projector on.
2. All my music is ripped as Apple Lossless. Unfortunately Oppo doesn't play that format. I may have to re rip and not really looking forward to that.

Cheers

Consider using dbPowerAmp's Asset UPnP as your DLNA music server. This is a rock solid audio server that will seamlessly transcode your Apple lossless files to LPCM which Oppo kit has been playing perfectly for many years. I use it for both my 83SE and the 105. Am no longer concerned about the original format of the file. In fact, I don't even know what the original format of the files is! Asset UPnP makes it a non-issue.

Styln
post #3161 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Consider using dbPowerAmp's Asset UPnP as your DLNA music server. This is a rock solid audio server that will seamlessly transcode your Apple lossless files to LPCM which Oppo kit has been playing perfectly for many years. I use it for both my 83SE and the 105. Am no longer concerned about the original format of the file. In fact, I don't even know what the original format of the files is! Asset UPnP makes it a non-issue.

Styln

Is it capable of pushing content to the 105 as Renderer?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3162 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

-Bill

There's no enter and you can just use your oppo remote without programming anything in order to check it.
post #3163 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not efficiently if the machines are in different houses.

How about this solution?

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/

I've just started playing with this server adaptation so I can listen to my entire music library at work. Am really impressed by the software from the folks at BubbleSoft.

Am so very happy that Oppo implemented the full DLNA spec so we can use fantastic software products from dbPowerAmp, J River, and BubbleSoft. I hope this is a continuing trend where Oppo provides forward looking hardware with standards based drivers, leaving the Ease of Use to someone else. Just a fantastic and affordable combination!

Styln
post #3164 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich

Absolutely Rich! I use Asset UPnP as the server and BubbleSoft UPnP on my phone as the controller for hours & hours of enjoyable music browsing & listening. Rock solid simple to use combo.

Styln
post #3165 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

How about this solution?

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/

I've just started playing with this server adaptation so I can listen to my entire music library at work. Am really impressed by the software from the folks at BubbleSoft.

Interesting but, since I want to push the files from jRiver, can I control jRiver remotely?  Also, how reliable is it for 24/192 and 5.1@24/96?  

Frankly, the complexity scares me and, as another has indicated, I can install jRiver in both homes at no additional cost.  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3166 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've been doing pushing and iPad control with the squeezebox software for years wish they supported DMRs other then their own players but it does allow pulling to the Oppo. I hate switching software (something about being an old dog) but I'm more interested in pushing video at this point then just music. So far my success with JRiver and video have been mixed but I'm just getting start with it. It would nice if Oppo could build a better browser and scraping into the player itself too. Look at some of the front ends for all those cheap streamers some are very nice for the $$$.
post #3167 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Interesting but, since I want to push the files from jRiver, can I control jRiver remotely?  Also, how reliable is it for 24/192 and 5.1@24/96?  

Frankly, the complexity scares me and, as another has indicated, I can install jRiver in both homes at no additional cost.  

Kal I know they have some IOS remotes JRemote being the main one. Also I believe you can control the server from a web browser too. I haven't tried M/C but it should be a walk in the park compared to streaming BD video.
post #3168 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Kal I know they have some IOS remotes JRemote being the main one. Also I believe you can control the server from a web browser too. I haven't tried M/C but it should be a walk in the park compared to streaming BD video.

OK.  It is an option but not one that I need.  Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #3169 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Thanks to everyone for their inputs on getting the JRiver MC software to stream to the Oppo as a DNLP renderer. I seem to have that working fine now.

Next up is trying to get the Asynchronous DAC connection to work. I currently have the Oppo driver downloaded on my Windows XP laptop but there seemed to be an issue with the driver loading properly since Windows asks to search for the driver whenever I connect to the USB input. I do see the Oppo software is loaded and can look at the Oppo Control Panel and Spy Tool under my Programs menu. I can't seem to find a way to set my output to the Oppo instead of the internal sound card in any of the Control Panel menus. The instructions on the Oppo site are for Windows 7 and don't correlate to XP.

The good news is that I have a new laptop coming next week with Windows 7 so I can wait if necessary.

Thanks

Please keep us posted. I run a headless Mac mini with amarra and i hate the delays from vmc/screen sharing. im waiting for the mac jriver where i can control from the ipad natively into the async usb. do you think there will be any issues with that?
post #3170 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

In J River, goto Tools -> Media Network and make sure that "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" is checked. Then under Advanced, make sure that "DLNA Server (share your media with other DLNA devices)" is checked. Then on the Oppo, under "Network" from the Home menu, the PC should show up as a DLNA server and you can then navigate to your Music, Photos, and Videos.

As an alternative, if you have a supported smart device (such as an iPhone or iPad), you can install the JRemote app and use J River as a DLNA Controller and the BDP-105 as a DLNA Renderer. This would allow you, for example, to select the music to play on your iPad (or other supported device) and have it actually play on the Oppo. This would give you a FAR better way to browse through your music than the file browser that's build into the Oppo, use playlists that you've defined in J River, etc.

All of this happens over your wired or wireless network connection - nothing to do with the USB ports.

any way to output from jriver directly to the async usb via iPad?
post #3171 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Ya, when I finally figured it out, I found you just need "Input" and the number, such as "6" for optical and it swithces inputs everytime. So, all you need is Input + Number. And yes, I need 20 seconds delay as well (15 is not enough). Makes the wife real happy too! I've had to trick my harmony a few times. Like if I watch a DVD last and turn off the system, the input stays on DVD. And when I come back the next day and want to watch TV it doesn't switch to TV even though it gets the command. So, to fix that, when when turning everything off I have the remote send a last commmand to set the input to the TV. Did this for all activies when I am turning off for the night and now my wife can watch TV without having to push the help button on answering questions when she comes back the next day.

Another trick is if you are listening to CDs and using Pure Audio and then you want to watch a DVD. When you switch to that activity you'll only get the Oppo screen; no home screen. So, to fix that, I send the "Home" command as the last command to setup the activity for watching a DVD. The Harmony software is not intuitive at all, but works once you figure it out. These commands are using a Harmony 550. I may upgrade this year because the buttons on the 550 are getting futzy.
post #3172 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

any way to output from jriver directly to the async usb via iPad?
I haven't tried it as my JRiver server isn't located near my Oppo player, but it should work just fine. In JRiver, select the Oppo USB device for audio output. Then use JRemote on the iPad to control JRiver selecting the PC as the output device instead of selecting the Oppo.
post #3173 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, dual J River servers makes sense for you, Kal. Plus, it's a good idea to have your music library duplicated off-site... so it's a two-fer smile.gif

I haven't tried controlling J River server with BubbleSoft from work, but it would probably work as both these programs seem to follow the standards and are well implemented. My primary server is Asset UPnP and that is the server I used in conjunction with the BubbleSoft server, to stream my music collection over the internet to work.

Will the Bubblesoft server work for HD and MCH HD audio? Again I don't know, but it should as long as you have the bandwidth end to end. I just started experimenting with this yesterday and it worked just fine on stereo audio content. I don't have MCH at work so haven't tried it.

Guess my at work listening requirements are a bit different than yours wink.gif

Styln
post #3174 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:

The Harmony will attempt to keep track of which devices are On/Off and will power up devices for new Activities only as needed.

That means you can set a Power On Delay in the Harmony's "device" configuration for the OPPO -- e.g., 20 seconds -- and it will avoid sending any new commands to the OPPO after Power ON until that delay has expired. (OTHER devices WILL get commands sent in the meantime.)

Thus if you switch from a Play Blu-ray Activity to a Watch TV Through OPPO Activity -- both of which use the OPPO -- the Harmony will know to leave the OPPO powered up and will NOT impose that Power On Delay before sending your Input changing commands to the OPPO.

With Quick Start set in the OPPO, you may not need as long a delay.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3175 of 11259 Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Secrets of Home Theater (Chris Heinonen): Benchmark and Video Test-Bench Results Now Posted for BDP-103 and BDP-105

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-player/all-pages.html

Secrets of Home Theater previously published their review of the BDP-105, just before proclaiming it their "Product of the Year" for 2012. However that review focussed on audio. Since a companion review of the BDP-103 was already in process, and since the 103 and 105 share the same video and decoding architecture, the Secrets Benchmark Test results, and their test-bench results for video were deferred to that 103 review.

Which has now been posted.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3176 of 11259 Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Secrets of Home Theater (Chris Heinonen): Benchmark and Video Test-Bench Results Now Posted for BDP-103 and BDP-105

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-player/all-pages.html

Secrets of Home Theater previously published their review of the BDP-105, just before proclaiming it their "Product of the Year" for 2012. However that review focussed on audio. Since a companion review of the BDP-103 was already in process, and since the 103 and 105 share the same video and decoding architecture, the Secrets Benchmark Test results, and their test-bench results for video were deferred to that 103 review.

Which has now been posted.
--Bob
Has anyone seen a trade magazine review comparing the analog audio of the 105 to it's predecessor, the 95?

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #3177 of 11259 Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sure, dual J River servers makes sense for you, Kal. Plus, it's a good idea to have your music library duplicated off-site... so it's a two-fer smile.gif
Guess my at work listening requirements are a bit different than yours wink.gif

Styln
Probably not. My office system is simple and not linked to anything. OTOH, my two systems are in two different houses/states.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #3178 of 11259 Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich

I will try this Rich. Thanks
post #3179 of 11259 Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 196
Quote:

Two Reasons I am keeping Squeezebox:

1. Squeezebox app lets me see album/artist etc using iPad app. I don't have to keep my projector on.
2. All my music is ripped as Apple Lossless. Unfortunately Oppo doesn't play that format. I may have to re rip and not really looking forward to that.

Cheers

1. Splashtop remote (real cheap for iPad, free for PC, free for Mac) allows you to control a Mac or PC from the iPad and will let you see the album art and the entrire media app interface for whatever media player software you decide to use.

2. All you need is a media player that's compatible with Apple Lossless (assume you mean ALAC) -- the media player will do the conversion to PCM when the files are played.

If you do want to convert to FLAC, Spesoft File Converter is a free application that converts ALAC to FLAC quickly. If you meant you used the AIFF format (essentially an uncompressed file format similar to WAV), you are wasting a lot of hard disc space. But Spesoft will convert AIFF to FLAC also, though it's not as fast as converting ALAC to FLAC. There is, indeed, no reason to re-rip anything. There are many media player software apps that will convert ALAC, FLAC or AIFF to PCM upon playback and send PCM to the Oppo... that's actually better since the Oppo doesn't have to expend any resources doing the conversion internally. PCM is the digital format music has to be in before it is converted to analog by the DACs. In fact some media player apps like JRiver Media Center PC (Mac version on the way, but not sure when) will also do file format conversions right from inside the app without you having to use an external file converter app.
Styln and lanping09 like this.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #3180 of 11259 Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings- I am new to some of this stuff...I read that this unit has an internal DAC.
Does that mean I will not have to use an external DAC?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page