167Likes

post #3331 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Separate question...has anyone confirmed that the 105 (or 103, for that matter) will play SACD-Rs? I'm pretty sure it won't play SACD content from an ISO file (say, on a hard drive), but I've backed up all my SACDs. If I burn one of those ISO files onto a DVD-R, will the 103/105 play it?

OT, but how'd you back up your SACDs (playstation trick? or...)?

Stephen Powell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

OT, but how'd you back up your SACDs (playstation trick? or...)?

Bought an old firmware PS3 and used sacd-ripper. My SACD collection is very important to me, and I feel I have a right to have a backup. And I don't mind burning the ISO file back to a DVD-R for playback, I just need the (seemingly elusive) confirmation that the 103/105 will play back such SACD-Rs. smile.gif
stevepow likes this.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #3333 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurappleby View Post

I am having difficulty playing some (but not all) downloaded 24-96, 5.1 FLAC music on my Oppo BDP-105. This problem applies to both streaming via ethernet and playing from an external hard drive connected by USB. The music cuts out for a second or two, and then starts up. This is an intermittent problem. As if a buffering issue. Also applies to 24-96, 2.0 music converted to 5.1. In order to resolve the problem I have converted all affected music to 24-48, 5.1 and it plays properly in this format. I have communicated this issue to Oppo. I am an experienced streamer and confident of my setup. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

I ripped a bunch of DVDA discs to 5.1 flac @ 24/96 and they play over wireless Ethernet and USB hard drive with no problem. I agree with the convert to wav/re-convert solution. The conversion you did, in and of itself, is probably what solved the problem rather than the lowered sample rate.

Stephen Powell
post #3334 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Bought an old firmware PS3 and used sacd-ripper. My SACD collection is very important to me, and I feel I have a right to have a backup. And I don't mind burning the ISO file back to a DVD-R for playback, I just need the (seemingly elusive) confirmation that the 103/105 will play back such SACD-Rs. smile.gif

I agree - the record companies irk me to no end with their obsolescence-oriented copy-protection - some of these DISCs are out of print and very expensive. I hate to even play them. I'm probably going to go D to A to D to back mine up into FLAC - I have access to high-quality studio ADCs. The playstation solution seems complex and not sure what I'd do with them afterwards - maybe you get them working - that would be great. Keep us posted.

Stephen Powell
post #3335 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, we've never discovered a shortcut. My suspicion is the BDA doesn't allow it; that intro material is there for a reason: you'll watch it and like it.

This would probably screw up startup on discs with java; there doesn't seem to be a standard as to when it loads: before, during or after intro material.

-Bill

I wonder if the Bluray world is just going to cause their own demise. BD drive me nuts. Because I've been busy it just took me 3 days to get through 'Unknown' and that was 3 days of watching the same trailers (menu, top menu and fast advance were disabled) I've already seen and trying to find where I left off each time. Oh I miss how VCR's always fast warded when you told them to no matter what. And they remembered where you left off! I typically catch up on all the new trailers every weekend anyway so I don't need to be forced.
stevepow likes this.
post #3336 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks. Tried your suggestion, it didn't work. I did send some sample music to Oppo, we'll see what they have to say. BTW, the Oppo will also not play some 24-96, 5.1 wav files. Strange.
post #3337 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

I wonder if the Bluray world is just going to cause their own demise. BD drive me nuts. Because I've been busy it just took me 3 days to get through 'Unknown' and that was 3 days of watching the same trailers (menu, top menu and fast advance were disabled) I've already seen and trying to find where I left off each time. Oh I miss how VCR's always fast warded when you told them to no matter what. And they remembered where you left off! I typically catch up on all the new trailers every weekend anyway so I don't need to be forced.

I'm using MakeMKV to back up my BD's. I take out the junk by only ripping the main movie and actually use the files more than the original disc as it is faster to load and skip and it starts where it left off, so basically the BD is the archive... Kind of similar to my CD approach.
D
post #3338 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I am having difficulty playing some (but not all) downloaded 24-96, 5.1 FLAC music on my Oppo BDP-105. This problem applies to both streaming via ethernet and playing from an external hard drive connected by USB. The music cuts out for a second or two, and then starts up. This is an intermittent problem. As if a buffering issue. Also applies to 24-96, 2.0 music converted to 5.1. In order to resolve the problem I have converted all affected music to 24-48, 5.1 and it plays properly in this format. I have communicated this issue to Oppo. I am an experienced streamer and confident of my setup. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

I have same problem with 24/96 (FLAC) and much worse problem with 24/192 in my SMB wireless setup, and reported the problem to OPPO 1-2 weeks ago.

Initially, OPPO claimed that my Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router is the problem source. Then, admit that they neither have an Apple Airport router in-house nor tested to support that claim.

OPPO promised to acquire an Apple router to investigate the problem that I reported, and advised me that they opened a bug report for a possible problem with OPPO and Apple combo.

PS. My workaround for playing high-resolution music is to use a USB flash memory or USB hard drive attached directly to OPPO both of which do work.
post #3339 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

If you want to stop by my place with a sample disc, you're welcome to try it on my 105 and see what happens. IIRC, you came by once before to compare a noise issue with your player. I may need to hunt down an old firmware PS3 one of these days smile.gif.
fatherom likes this.
post #3340 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That's unlikely.

Are you using a calibration disc?

Are you connected directly to the display or through a receiver?

1080p output resolution?

-Bill
Used Avia calibration disc to set up. Just like with the LG
Through same Integra processor as the LG
yes 1080P
post #3341 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Certainly NOT a router problem for me. I tried connecting the Oppo directly to my computer (without a router) and had the same problem. I also played the 5.1 24/96 music via an external hard drive and USB and the problem was still there. Strangly, a flash drive works somewhat better, but ultimately not perfectly, plus I have 300 gigs of music! Sounds to me that there is a serious flaw with the Oppo. If I could play via USB and external HD, I could live with it, But].....
post #3342 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If you want to stop by my place with a sample disc, you're welcome to try it on my 105 and see what happens. IIRC, you came by once before to compare a noise issue with your player. I may need to hunt down an old firmware PS3 one of these days smile.gif.

Thanks...I may just take you up on that. I'll give the thread a few days to respond first. Anyone out there tried a burned SACD-R? It surprises me that this question is so hard to find an answer to. smile.gif

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #3343 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Certainly NOT a router problem for me. I tried connecting the Oppo directly to my computer (without a router) and had the same problem. I also played the 5.1 24/96 music via an external hard drive and USB and the problem was still there. Strangly, a flash drive works somewhat better, but ultimately not perfectly, plus I have 300 gigs of music! Sounds to me that there is a serious flaw with the Oppo. If I could play via USB and external HD, I could live with it, But].....

Your files may be corrupt. Send OPPO sample files or a thumbdrive which produces these playback errors so they can replicate your issues. If the files are mastered properly, then there should be no playback errors when using the USB ports of the player.
post #3344 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:

I recommend you try them again after factory reset. Hopely, that would clear up whatever was causing the problem.
post #3345 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

The stereo outputs have a better analog stage - they use the same DAC, but the rest of the board is at least a bit better than the multi-channel board.
Unless you care about doing stuff that requires converting the Oppo analog outputs back to digital (such as using MCACC in conjunction with analog outputs, or enabling surround modes), my suggestion is to configure the dedicated stereo outputs as FL / FR on the Oppo and use those along with the rest of the multichannel outputs. For 2 channel content, you'll be using the best analog outputs on the Oppo and for everything else you won't have to worry about switching to a different input on your receiver.
The Pioneer has MCACC, not Audyssey - it's the same basic concept, but might cause some confusion if you start saying your receiver has Audyssey.
I would think you would want to use the subwoofer, in which case that's an even stronger argument to use what I suggested in my answer to question 2.

That all said, IMHO I think you would be better off going with a BDP-103 and forgetting about the analog outputs altogether as you are very likely to find that you prefer the sound with MCACC than without. And it doesn't make sense to use MCACC with analog outputs when the player also has HDMI as you'd be forcing extra analog to digital and digital to analog conversions into the mix. I get the impression that a lot of people are using the analog outputs simply because they're there or that using them is "cool" and not really thinking things through fully - they aren't the best choice in all cases.

Are you saying that it is possible, and perhaps preferred in your opinion, to reconfigure the Stereo Audio Outputs to be the FR and FL outputs, and attach the other cables to the remaining multichannel outputs (minus the FR and FL), and then with Stereo sources (like Stereo SACD's) you will be using the "best" stereo outputs (Stereo Audio Outputs being a "little better" than the Fr and FL of the multichannel outputs), and with Multichannel SACD's you will be using the Stereo Outputs ("acting" as FR and FL) and the remaining multichannel outputs, and therefore this will be done automatically, and you will not need to select outputs for the different SACD's according to whether they are stereo or multichannel???

Also, is there any general agreement that the Stereo Audio Outputs are better at stereo than the Fr and FL of the multichannel outputs? Is this controversial, or generally accepted?

ALSO: I do not understand cables. There are obviously several level of quality of the Audioquest cables. If you are going to run cables from Stereo Audio OUtputs (reconfigured as FR and FL if I understand) and the rest from the multichannel outputs, is there a reason that all these cables need to be of the same type? I mean, there are $50 per pair, vs. $100 per pair , vs. $200 per pair, etc. I was originally going to run higher quality stereo cables from the Stereo Audio Outputs (only one pair) and somewhat less expensive Audioquests from the multichannel outputs. Now if we are "mixing" these outputs, do the cables need to be all of a consistent type??

Thanks!!
post #3346 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post

Are you saying that it is possible, and perhaps preferred in your opinion, to reconfigure the Stereo Audio Outputs to be the FR and FL outputs, and attach the other cables to the remaining multichannel outputs (minus the FR and FL), and then with Stereo sources (like Stereo SACD's) you will be using the "best" stereo outputs (Stereo Audio Outputs being a "little better" than the Fr and FL of the multichannel outputs), and with Multichannel SACD's you will be using the Stereo Outputs ("acting" as FR and FL) and the remaining multichannel outputs, and therefore this will be done automatically, and you will not need to select outputs for the different SACD's according to whether they are stereo or multichannel???
Yes, given your situation, my recommendation is to reconfigure the stereo outputs as FR / FL.
Quote:
Also, is there any general agreement that the Stereo Audio Outputs are better at stereo than the Fr and FL of the multichannel outputs? Is this controversial, or generally accepted?
It's a matter of fact. The analog board for the 2 channel outputs IS better than the board for the multichannel outputs.
Quote:
ALSO: I do not understand cables. There are obviously several level of quality of the Audioquest cables. If you are going to run cables from Stereo Audio OUtputs (reconfigured as FR and FL if I understand) and the rest from the multichannel outputs, is there a reason that all these cables need to be of the same type? I mean, there are $50 per pair, vs. $100 per pair , vs. $200 per pair, etc. I was originally going to run higher quality stereo cables from the Stereo Audio Outputs (only one pair) and somewhat less expensive Audioquests from the multichannel outputs. Now if we are "mixing" these outputs, do the cables need to be all of a consistent type??
All I'm going to say to this is that I use, and am very happy with, Blue Jeans cables and am not a believer in spending big $$$ on cables biggrin.gif.
stevepow and TKO1 like this.
post #3347 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post

Is this controversial, or generally accepted?

Thanks!!

Now that controversial. Many here will say $50 is too much for cables. Have someone switch a pair of these in without your knowledge and see if you can hear a difference.
post #3348 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

I have same problem with 24/96 (FLAC) and much worse problem with 24/192 in my SMB wireless setup, and reported the problem to OPPO 1-2 weeks ago.

I've noticed the same -- with a WIRED ethernet connection.

Do you also encounter problems with the Oppo initiating playback of 24/96 files at a seemingly random point -- e.g. 2 minutes into the track instead of at the beginning?
post #3349 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

I've noticed the same -- with a WIRED ethernet connection.

Do you also encounter problems with the Oppo initiating playback of 24/96 files at a seemingly random point -- e.g. 2 minutes into the track instead of at the beginning?

Random and infrequent occurance with 24/96 while constant occurance with 24/192. I have not tried with wired connection due to location of router being too far from OPPO.
post #3350 of 12037 Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Now that controversial. Many here will say $50 is too much for cables. Have someone switch a pair of these in without your knowledge and see if you can hear a difference.

It is reprehensible how these snake oil cable companies are taking advantage of and ripping people off. High-end studios - where the very audio you are listening to was made - do not do this. They use high quality cable at normal prices from Mogami, Canare, etc. and many do their own terminations. It is just no big deal if done right. The prices on some of this stuff is insanity.

Stephen Powell
post #3351 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
NW.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesaud View Post

Just got my 105 today... currently setting up some of the network functions and the 105 sees my Apple Time Capsule... wanting to play a few FLAC files for fun from the Time Capsule, but when I go to open a folder, the 105 is requesting a username and password to get into the folder? I haven't setup any folder passwords. Anyone know what this is?1.gif

There's discussion of this problem above. I haven't done it myself, but my memory of the answer is that the 105 isn't so much asking for a username and password, but offering you the opportunity to have it remember whatever password and username you enter if they're required to access your files. If you don't need a username/password to access the files then you should just choose continue or enter or the appropriate choice and leave the username and password fields blank. Give that a shot and see what happens.

I think/hope I have this correct.

Edited to correct punctuation and clarify that the username and password fields should be left blank.
post #3352 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM

Liked: 17
Hello everybody, it`s my first post smile.gif Got my Oppo 105 today and I am already happy about its audio abilities.
Quote:

Anyone out there tried a burned SACD-R? It surprises me that this question is so hard to find an answer to. smile.gif

It`s no problem for the Oppo! It was the first that I tried out. I have several SACD-R, too.

Not sure if it was already a topic. Using the Oppo as USB-DAC for a Squeezebox Touch with EDO-app by triode ?
It works, also 176,4 and 192kHz! I love it! The USB-DAC was one of the main reasons I bought the Oppo biggrin.gif

Ok, will go on with testing.
post #3353 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzohr View Post

Hello everybody, it`s my first post smile.gif Got my Oppo 105 today and I am already happy about its audio abilities.
Quote:

Anyone out there tried a burned SACD-R? It surprises me that this question is so hard to find an answer to. smile.gif

It`s no problem for the Oppo! It was the first that I tried out. I have several SACD-R, too.

. . . .

First of all, welcome to AVS and to this Thread!

And thanks for posting that! People have been asking and re-asking that SACD-R question for MONTHS, and I've no idea why it's taken so long for an SACD-R user to give the answer. Press of other new toys to try first I suppose....

Anyway, that question is now put to bed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3354 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Thank you, Bob!

About SACD-R, indeed I had forgotten about this topic till I read fatherom`s question. I had sold my CA 752BD nine-ten months ago because all my rips are on hard disk and I thought I can live without an universal player. Now I am happy, that I decided to buy the Oppo and that I didn`t sell my DVD-A and SACDs. It is still a nice feeling to put a disc into the player. I missed it smile.gif

Btw, nice forum and great thread. I enjoy to read here.
Regards from Germany
post #3355 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for replying about SACD-Rs. Much appreciated. Now I just have to decide if the 105 is the right purchase for me at this time. smile.gif

post #3356 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Hi all,

I have been following this thread since day 1 and finally got my 105 today smile.gif. Thanks to all first of all for the many very informative posts that have been made here.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on setting up the Oppo to use the DLNA renderer function.

Basically my issue is whether I can stream films wirelessly from a PC on our ground floor to the Oppo which is in our basement.

For additional detail: our home theater is in the basement. On our ground floor we have a silent PC that is always on. I use foobar on that PC to play .flac files to our ground floor stereo system.

We have a Netgear powerline network in our house. The router sits on the top floor of the house, and we have two powerline adapters - the AV200 model - which also are wireless N extenders. One of these is on the ground floor and the stereo computer referred to above has a wired connection to its single ethernet jack. The second adapter is in our basement, about 5 meters from the Oppo. The single ethernet jack on that adapter is currently in use for a photoediting work station, but as I mentioned it also emits a wireless signal for the network.

The set up I have in mind that I would like comments on would have me copying our library of ripped films (mostly .mkv and .avi) to the PC on our ground floor, then installing JRiver MC18 on that PC and setting up the media library/DLNA server functionality etc in JRiver.

I would also buy JRemote and access JRiver on the ground floor PC via an iPad using JRemote and stream movie files wirelessly to the Oppo over our Powerline wireless network.

I've seen people post here that they have got their Oppos playing files from JRiver over wireless but from a search just now these posts all seem to have been about audio files which are obviously much smaller. Have people been able to get movie files sent to the Oppo wirelessly using the DLNA renderer function without droputs or other issues?

I know I can just go ahead and try, and I also realize that I may have to use the ethernet jack connection on the Powerline adapter that is 5 meters from the Oppo and go with a "wired" connection (even though our router is two floors up). I'd prefer not to do this though because for a variety of reasons I like that wired connection for the photoedit work station. Also, I wanted to get opinions here before embarking on one path or another.

End of the day, what I am after is making full use of the Oppo via the DLNA renderer function and I am keen to go the JRiver route. Using the ground floor computer is appealing because it is always on and I may drift into using JRiver for audio on the ground floor as well.

Thanks for comments and ideas,

Dave M
lanping09 likes this.

Dave
post #3357 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm using JRiver now and noticed something I'll pass along. Sometimes Jriver doesn't see the Oppo. The solution is to power up the Oppo after launching the Jriver Media Center.
post #3358 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

Hi all,

I have been following this thread since day 1 and finally got my 105 today smile.gif. Thanks to all first of all for the many very informative posts that have been made here.

Thanks for comments and ideas,

Dave M

It sounds like that's really more of a network question and how good your network is in all those locations. If your signal is spotty it probably wont work, if the network is up to snuff it probably will..??
post #3359 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

All I'm going to say to this is that I use, and am very happy with, Blue Jeans cables and am not a believer in spending big $$$ on cables biggrin.gif.

+1 for Blue Jeans cables. They are well-made, meet the specifications, and are reasonably priced. Plus they have excellent customer support.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #3360 of 12037 Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

Random and infrequent occurance with 24/96 while constant occurance with 24/192. I have not tried with wired connection due to location of router being too far from OPPO.

I just tested maybe 30 min of 24/192 stereo and 24/96 5.1 via SMB with no playback issues of any kind. Both FLAC and WAV were tested. Wired Gigabit network. Same for attached storage. These are files I made myself from other sources.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page