post #361 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

In connecting an Apple Mac mini to the BDP-105 via a USB port, do you need to download the requisite drivers from (a) an Apple site to the computer (b) the Oppo site to the computer or (c) from the Oppo site to the BDP-105?

Nothing like that needed. For the Mac running Mac OS X 10.8.2 it is plug and play -- and that's likely true for older OS X versions as well (within reason).

Just cable up to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input on the 105 (don't confuse that with the USB ports for attaching hard drives) and then go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and select the OPPO as your choice of sound output method. No driver installation needed. Whatever sound the Mac plays will go to the OPPO as stereo LPCM.

Some sound producing applications will also offer a way to make this selection within the application -- the same way you would select an AirPlay sound output device. For example, in iTunes there is an icon in the lower right of the window for doing this.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my 95 for about a year and use it in a dedicated stereo fully analog pre/amp set up with amazing results.

I just got my 105 to incorporate into my home theater system and find I have some issues. I justified the expense so that I could use the 105 to better process my video from my cable box, and so that I could use my new 3D capable Plasma (my existing receiver does not pass through the 3D signal). Being Thanksgiving weekend, Oppo Customer Service is closed, so I thought some of you could assist:

1) When running 105 video to Plasma via HDMI 1, and 5.1 analog out to receiver, I get the dreaded lip sync issue. Video is ahead of sound. My receiver can do a sound delay, but it appears that each source, be it DVD, Bluray or various TV feeds from my cable box all have slightly different amounts of delay. How can you set the delay in the receiver if each source has a different delay?

2) When I pass a 3D signal from my Direct TV cable box into the 105 and then to the Plasma, instead of getting the slightly offset double image, I get a split screen, where I am assuming the left and right image appear as two separate sides. ?

3) I have a Logitech Harmony remote. I can't find discreet codes for the 105 "input" various options. So if I want to watch the cable box through the 105, I can't do a "one touch" activity option selecting the proper input "back HDMI". How archaic is that? I fear for my wife!

It appears that most of this thread deals with the audio aspect of the 105 (which is why I bought my 95), but I am hoping that some boring home theater issues can be addressed....
post #363 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

I have had my 95 for about a year and use it in a dedicated stereo fully analog pre/amp set up with amazing results.

I just got my 105 to incorporate into my home theater system and find I have some issues. I justified the expense so that I could use the 105 to better process my video from my cable box, and so that I could use my new 3D capable Plasma (my existing receiver does not pass through the 3D signal). Being Thanksgiving weekend, Oppo Customer Service is closed, so I thought some of you could assist:

1) When running 105 video to Plasma via HDMI 1, and 5.1 analog out to receiver, I get the dreaded lip sync issue. Video is ahead of sound. My receiver can do a sound delay, but it appears that each source, be it DVD, Bluray or various TV feeds from my cable box all have slightly different amounts of delay. How can you set the delay in the receiver if each source has a different delay?

2) When I pass a 3D signal from my Direct TV cable box into the 105 and then to the Plasma, instead of getting the slightly offset double image, I get a split screen, where I am assuming the left and right image appear as two separate sides. ?

3) I have a Logitech Harmony remote. I can't find discreet codes for the 105 "input" various options. So if I want to watch the cable box through the 105, I can't do a "one touch" activity option selecting the proper input "back HDMI". How archaic is that? I fear for my wife!

It appears that most of this thread deals with the audio aspect of the 105 (which is why I bought my 95), but I am hoping that some boring home theater issues can be addressed....

Check out the 1114B Public Beta firmware. Using that, try 75ms added audio delay when playing shiny discs. There are some playback combinations where no added audio delay will be needed, but if you spot a problem, try 75ms. Again this is for shiny discs.

For the HDMI Input you will not be able to correct the error. That's because audio is behind video and adding additional audio delay will just make matters worse. For the error on the HDMI Inputs there's nothing for it but to wait for OPPO Engineering to provide the fix. The remaining error situations for shiny disc playback should be fixed at the same time, but we'll just have to check that at the time.

For the 3D signal, check the new function in the 1114B firmware for selecting the 3D format on the fly.

For programming the Logitech, both the Official 1018 firmware and the Public Beta 1114B firmware allow the ability to select the Input by sending the Input button followed by a digit -- the position number in the Input Pop up list. Several folks here report success programming that into their Harmony.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #364 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I should add that if video is ahead of audio for shiny disc playback, then that's a setup error in your receiver. The receiver is adding a chunk of audio delay (even though you may have it set to 0 delay) because it thinks it is processing the video for you. But you are bypassing the receiver for video.

Look for a setting in the receiver that enables unprocessed video "pass through" as that should turn off that unwanted chunk of audio delay it is adding.
--Bob

post #365 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check out the 1114B Public Beta firmware. Using that, try 75ms added audio delay when playing shiny discs. There are some playback combinations where no added audio delay will be needed, but if you spot a problem, try 75ms. Again this is for shiny discs.
For the HDMI Input you will not be able to correct the error. That's because audio is behind video and adding additional audio delay will just make matters worse. For the error on the HDMI Inputs there's nothing for it but to wait for OPPO Engineering to provide the fix. The remaining error situations for shiny disc playback should be fixed at the same time, but we'll just have to check that at the time.
For the 3D signal, check the new function in the 1114B firmware for selecting the 3D format on the fly.
For programming the Logitech, both the Official 1018 firmware and the Public Beta 1114B firmware allow the ability to select the Input by sending the Input button followed by a digit -- the position number in the Input Pop up list. Several folks here report success programming that into their Harmony.
--Bob

Bob, I knew I could count on you.

I had sworn off being an early adopter back when I bought my first Flat Screen DLP 50 incher for $4,500.00! Perhaps I should use my 30 day return and wait for Oppo to address the bugs and then get a ready for market product......(I still love you Oppo!)
post #366 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Hello

Quick question

I currently own an Oppo 83 and don't own a 3D or 4K TV

Looking to upgrade to either 95 or 105

Are there any outstanding hardware or firmware issues outstanding with the 95

or is the 105 a safe bet ?

Thanks
post #367 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post

I'll grant you that for an audio source component things are a little bit simpler but which spec is more important, frequency response flatness or THD+N; over which frequency range? What about jitter vs. dynamic range? I wouldn't know which component is going to sound best in my system in my room just by looking at a spec sheet; although I can probably tell which ones won't sound very good.

Buying based on subjective response is fraught with all sorts of peril. Chief among them is the placebo effect. There are others; for example the release of endorphins and dopamine that has been observed to occur during shopping.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #368 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

We just got done with an election where one team used the we'll-go-with-our-gut approach, and the other team went with hard data. Guess how that turned out.
Audiophilia is the only technology-based pursuit I'm aware of where subjectivity comes into the picture. You wouldn't buy a PC based on your "gut" feel about how well the processor performs floating-point operations. You'd insist on specs (or you'd read reviews, from reviewers who read the specs for you). All that stuff about CPU speed, amount of RAM, disk capacity, etc.: it's specs. The horsepower, mpg, top speed, skid-pad cornering, and braking in your car? Specs. Watts of output in your microwave? Specs. Even when everything was analog, there were still hard specs.
Get an MRI? Works because of the technology. Get a filling. Works because of the technology. Get your eyeglass prescription checked. An eyeglass prescription *is* specs. (Specs for specs, come to think of it.)
We're surrounded constantly by brilliant technological achievements based on fundamental understanding of natural laws and how to manipulate nature to our benefit, all based on hard science, engineering, data. Facts. Specs.
So. If someone with a suitably precise measuring device puts the 95 on a bench and measures it, then does the same with the 105, and finds that the 105 *on paper* underperforms the 95, that will be interesting data. It's just one data point, but it's still data. And data matters.
Edit: I had an epiphany after posting this. The reason subjectivity is allowed into audiophilia is that it doesn't *matter*. You'd never fly in an airplane designed by a guy who likes to wing it (pun unintentional). You'd want the plane to be designed by a qualified licensed engineer with a degree and strong skills. But if you buy a piece of audio equipment with lousy specs but great marketing spin (and believe me, there have been some doozies, like a certain single-ended monoblock with > 30% THD), all that happens is you're fleeced (or you manage to convince yourself that the midrange sounds "lush").
+1 Great post!

One additional factor that makes auditioning audio equipment a much more subjective thing than all that other stuff you listed is how each and every one of us has slightly different hearing capabilities. It's no secret that the older we get the more our hearing begins to suffer with high frequencies going down first. Stats, data sheets and the like might help us get closer to a quality product but in the end, it's each individual's own hearing that makes the differences quantified.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #369 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,

Just received my BDP-105 last week and having issues with BDP-105 DLNA. I have a Synology DS1010+ and using the Media Server that came with it. All of my other components have no issue processing the contents from the media server.

Here is my issue:

BDP-105 keeps on going back to the server selection list at random navigation steps. Sometimes it will go all the way to the list of songs and when I press play it will go back to the selection screen. Other times it will only go one folder deep and return to selection screen. Completely random on where it will go back to the selection screen.

Anyone have experience this on their BDP-105? Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

By the way, I have the latest beta software.

Thanks,.
post #370 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Hi, I am wondering is oppo 105 apple products friendly? I have a pair of active speaker with no volume control built-in. And I am planning to buy a oppo 105, as it has good quality volume control over analog and great DAC. My question is can I connect iPod dock to the 105's optical digital in? If it may work, would 105's built-in' DAC handle all digital audio processing? Furthermore, would oppo 105's HDMI-in work with apple tv? Again, would oppo's DAC and video engine processing audio and video signal sent from apple tv?

Also, as my music is all in ALAC format in my iPod classic, would this fomat matter? I guess my iPod decodes the ALAC format, and send digital audio signal to the 105 through optical connection, and the 105' DAC convert the digital audio signal to analog, am I right?

The main reason I want to buy a oppo 105 is use it as a BD player and preamp, as the 105 has a state of art DAC.

Thanks
post #371 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski View Post

Hi,
Just received my BDP-105 last week and having issues with BDP-105 DLNA. I have a Synology DS1010+ and using the Media Server that came with it. All of my other components have no issue processing the contents from the media server.
Here is my issue:
BDP-105 keeps on going back to the server selection list at random navigation steps. Sometimes it will go all the way to the list of songs and when I press play it will go back to the selection screen. Other times it will only go one folder deep and return to selection screen. Completely random on where it will go back to the selection screen.
Anyone have experience this on their BDP-105? Any suggestions on how I can fix this?
Thanks,.

Are you aware that with an attached NAS you do not need to use DNLA at all? With network shared content you can access it directly. There should be both DNLA and SMB shares indicated on your Network screen.
post #372 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM

@rdgrimes

Yes, that is actually what I am using right now to access my media. The listing though is in random order as was reported here by another poster. Since SMB is not supported, do you know if Oppo have plans to fix the randomness of the file listing using SMB?
post #373 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

+1 Great post!
One additional factor that makes auditioning audio equipment a much more subjective thing than all that other stuff you listed is how each and every one of us has slightly different hearing capabilities. It's no secret that the older we get the more our hearing begins to suffer with high frequencies going down first. Stats, data sheets and the like might help us get closer to a quality product but in the end, it's each individual's own hearing that makes the differences quantified.

Amen. Back in college I bought a new amp based on the spec sheet -- the old POS Marantz I had been running spanked the new Kenwood sonically. I kept fussing with equalization until I realized specs mean little when it comes to SQ. Back in the day Nakamichi sold some amazing, literally record setting amps and preamps based on the spec sheets -- S/N >125 dB -- incredible for analog gear. The stuff sounded horrible.

With a digital analog machine like the 105 I would expect the analog side to spec out much worse than the digital side as far as S/N, frequency range, % distortion, etc.., but I would expect it to sound better -- not because it is analog, but because the guys at Oppo get what audiophile sounds should sound like and design their gear toward that end. There is no template or metric to apply except in the broadest terms. How it sounds with my content with my gear in my room -- to me.
post #374 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the Hifiman HE-500 with the Oppo BDP-105?

post #375 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Hi,

I had the same issue with the BDP-105 beta firmware.
post #376 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

We just got done with an election where one team used the we'll-go-with-our-gut approach, and the other team went with hard data. Guess how that turned out.
Audiophilia is the only technology-based pursuit I'm aware of where subjectivity comes into the picture. You wouldn't buy a PC based on your "gut" feel about how well the processor performs floating-point operations. You'd insist on specs (or you'd read reviews, from reviewers who read the specs for you). All that stuff about CPU speed, amount of RAM, disk capacity, etc.: it's specs. The horsepower, mpg, top speed, skid-pad cornering, and braking in your car? Specs. Watts of output in your microwave? Specs. Even when everything was analog, there were still hard specs.
Get an MRI? Works because of the technology. Get a filling. Works because of the technology. Get your eyeglass prescription checked. An eyeglass prescription *is* specs. (Specs for specs, come to think of it.)
We're surrounded constantly by brilliant technological achievements based on fundamental understanding of natural laws and how to manipulate nature to our benefit, all based on hard science, engineering, data. Facts. Specs.
So. If someone with a suitably precise measuring device puts the 95 on a bench and measures it, then does the same with the 105, and finds that the 105 *on paper* underperforms the 95, that will be interesting data. It's just one data point, but it's still data. And data matters.
Edit: I had an epiphany after posting this. The reason subjectivity is allowed into audiophilia is that it doesn't *matter*. You'd never fly in an airplane designed by a guy who likes to wing it (pun unintentional). You'd want the plane to be designed by a qualified licensed engineer with a degree and strong skills. But if you buy a piece of audio equipment with lousy specs but great marketing spin (and believe me, there have been some doozies, like a certain single-ended monoblock with > 30% THD), all that happens is you're fleeced (or you manage to convince yourself that the midrange sounds "lush").

With all due respect, Jim, I'd say your analysis is at the wrong level. Sure megaflops are an important metric, but how they are used to render an artistic scene is the issue. Is a mac the same as a windows PC. No? But they both use the exact same Intel processor and therefore the exact same specs...

Data is part of the picture, but most certainly not the whole picture. In many cases, not even the most important part of the picture. Subjectivity is important because we are experiencing the content as art. There are no specifications for art. Over the years, I've reached the exact opposite conclusion you have: the only thing that matters is subjectivity: how well is the essence of the art conveyed to me.

Styn
post #377 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcfla View Post

Originally Posted by djkiwi [/B]
If people can't notice the difference between the BDP 105 and the Panasonic 500 then two things are going on:
1. Their sensory perceptions are incapable of differentiation.
This isn't meant as an insult. .
2. Their system is incapable of differentiation.
Originally Posted by thorix[/B]
b) according to my experience there is in most cases a common understanding what sounds good and natural, exccluding 2 specific types of people. The first category are those who do not care, which are more and more folks who grew up with mp3.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I enjoy learning from this forum, and appreciate the hard work and knowledge of our mentors here, which has helped me be prepared for my new toy. which HAS arrived. I also agree with much of what both gentlemen above shared-as opinions. On top of what they stated is the likelihood that many users out here do not have signal interconnect and speaker cables good enough to pass the signal well enough intact to be fully appreciated--or subjectively compared.
I'll offer my comparative opinion from a different direction, for those who have not had a 95, and wonder if the 105 is worth the price and trouble. I received mine just in time for being off for 5 days so I will have time to warm it up properly, and exercise all the functions I have been dying to try out. No secrets here--I am stoked, and early on, after my first listen to redbook CDs, favorite SACDs and a few BRD movies, to me it is wonderful! I LOVE the 105. I will tell you why.
The new 105 so far, clearly sounds more dynamic, powerful, cleaner, warm (full--NOT lean), smooth, and has deeper and cleaner bass than anything I have heard in my dedicated theater room. I could not be happier with its purchase, with the caveat I have never owned a player over $1200. As an old electronics designer, I also know what literal "burning in" means, and believe it is not the same as the improvements gained from letting a system operate over time, with the cumulative effects of the capacitors forming, and other nuance-critical components becoming more stable with use. You do not have to believe that, but like better wire insulation, rotation, and metallurgy, it will make a difference in the sound. And I look forward to the additional improvements.
I did not have the luxury of having a 95 to compare my new 105 to, but have been listening to very good (but not well heeled) stereo for a very long time. I started young on tubes, then McIntosh, Marantz, PS Audio, and still enjoy turntable analog. After 25-30 years of reading Absolute Sound and Stereophile, I think I can hear, and know what sounds good to me, in MY system. which is important, and is totally subjective. I use primarily Audioquest (with batteries) interconnectl cables for my more critical inputs, and Kimber Heroes on the lessor inputs like surround and VCRs. I use Audioquest Rocket 88 Bi-wiring to the Maggie 1.6 QRs and Transparent for the others. I wanted the new 105 so I can get away from the additional electronics--pre-pro, external DACs, and more cables, etc, which all affect the sound of whatever comes out of the OPPO. Any and all electronics AND wire affects the signal, just depends on how, and how much. I will find out this weekend how much my prepro affects it by going around it directly to the power amp. My perspective includes my older NAD 7ch T163 Tuner pre-pro, and matching NAD 7ch T973 power amp, into pairs of Magnapan front MG1.6QRs, surround MG MC1s, rear surround MG 12QRs, and center MG CC3, all run full range. Plus a Velodyne 10" SW is set for roll off at 60 Hz. The flat screen is a Smart 60" Samsung 6100. My amplification is older but sounds clean and powerful at my budget level. My old Sony BDP NS999ES was about equal, and different, but not better than the Oppo 83, and far better than my older Denon. I have used most of the digital inputs thru a DacMagic, and for computer USB output FLAC and WAV, both at home and RV travel. I purchased the 105 so I can feed all my digital including Direct TV thru it and controlling the volume to the power amp. The room does not require a lot of bass control so I do not need that complication.
BTW, one other gain from deleting a 7.1 ch pre-pro is cutting the price and signal loss of 8 more good cable interconnects, which is considerable, easily more than the cost of the 105.
My one unknown is how to deal with my turntable phono preamp, as I do not think the concept of ADDA is cool for perfectly good HQ analog if I give up the analog part of the pre-pro?
Any suggestions other than living with the pre-pro?
Astronomertoo

Thanks for sharing your experience with the BDP-105. Like you, and many on this thread, I've been struggling with the whole moving from analog to digital issue. My evolution has resulted in abandoning analog sources, and I suppose, eventually, analog outputs. While I don't have experience with the Ayre QA-9 ADC, it looks like a stellar product that does preserve the analog characteristics of the source material.

This afternoon, I "reimagined" my system by removing the MP-1 and replaced it, and a BDP-83SE with the BDP-105. So like you, taking steps to evolve a component or two, while being careful not to lose the musicality of the system.

Styln

Congrats on your Oppo purchase,

Styln
post #378 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So which spec is it that tells me which fighter plane will win a dogfight? How about which car is going to win a road race? Or which computer will be best for my needs?
The challenge is that the subjective audio experience is made up of many aspects of the performance of each of the components that make up the complex audio systems that create the sonic environment we experience as audio.
I'll grant you that for an audio source component things are a little bit simpler but which spec is more important, frequency response flatness or THD+N; over which frequency range? What about jitter vs. dynamic range? I wouldn't know which component is going to sound best in my system in my room just by looking at a spec sheet; although I can probably tell which ones won't sound very good.

+1
post #379 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

I had the same issue with the BDP-105 beta firmware.

Do you have a Synology NAS as well? I was able to make it work with Windows Media Server but it took a lot tries before it stabilized. It might be a compatibility issue between Synology and BDP-105.
post #380 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So which spec is it that tells me which fighter plane will win a dogfight? How about which car is going to win a road race?

How do you think the Electrical Engineer designs these devices?. Hint, it's done based on a fundamental understanding of the perceptual importance of various specifications. Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception.

Dr. Sean Olive, head of R&D at Harman International publishes an excellent blog describing some of their work along these lines.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Sure, users often buy based on subjective impressions. But there is no particular reason to believe these buying decisions are anything close to optimal. And there is the fact that audio equipment marketing and the sales process is often designed to take advantage of emotional response and discourage analytical thinking.

This subjective buying process is why we get products like Shatiki stones, LP demagnetizers and audiophile fuses.

post #381 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
'This subjective buying process is why we get products like Shatiki stones, LP demagnetizers and audiophile fuses.'

Classic and so true smile.gif !

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #382 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

How do you think the Electrical Engineer designs these devices?. Hint, it's done based on a fundamental understanding of the perceptual importance of various specifications. Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception.
Dr. Sean Olive, head of R&D at Harman International publishes an excellent blog describing some of their work along these lines.
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/
Sure, users often buy based on subjective impressions. But there is no particular reason to believe these buying decisions are anything close to optimal. And there is the fact that audio equipment marketing and the sales process is often designed to take advantage of emotional response and discourage analytical thinking.
This subjective buying process is why we get products like Shatiki stones, LP demagnetizers and audiophile fuses.

Exactly!

For example:

http://us.gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger
Arashjahn likes this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #383 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post

Man, that makes it harder. 4K is looming large -- I can justify $500 as a bridge to the Oppo native 4K player when it gets here in 2016, but $1200 is hard.
Are you running analog MCH for surround or letting your DAC do the heavy lifting? If analog MCH -- how is the spacial alignment? Audessy is giving me
such a sweet 3D soundstage with HDMI out that I really don't use the analog out with its tonal superiority. 2.1 stereo is sweet, nearly moving coil cartridge sweet,
but I lose the enveloping soundstage when I go MCH analog. Darned shame.
So does the 105 get it right in MCH analog?

I don't listen to multichannel so I can't say for sure. I am strictly a two channel guy, mostly SACD, DVD-A and CDs (if I can stomach the a 16 bit recording). The Oppo 105 shines on good recordings and isn't too bad to listen to with marginal ones either. A bad recording can't be fixed with any equipment. However, I would suggest sticking with the 103 if your outboard device is sounding good. You can always get a Modwright upgrade later.
post #384 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsauvage View Post

I am curious to know more about this. Considerig usig the Oppo as a transport instead of a Linn (would I realy lose out much?) then into a high end DAC.
Are you hearing marked difference between OPPO's onboard DAC vs your outboard one ?

I am having a very hard time hearing a substantial difference between my outboard DAC and the 105 onboard DAC. I am not going to say I am the most critical person out there, but for my money I will be keeping the 103 with my external DAC. Don't get me wrong, the 105 is good but my equipment and ears just can't tell a huge difference. For instance the difference between the 103 and my DAC is very obvious so I will be using the 103 as a transport or getting a third party upgrade in the future.
post #385 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

@rdgrimes

Yes, that is actually what I am using right now to access my media. The listing though is in random order as was reported here by another poster. Since SMB is not is now supported, do you know if Oppo have plans to fix the randomness of the file listing using SMB?

I expect this will be addressed in future firmware.
--Bob

post #386 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post

. Back in the day Nakamichi sold some amazing, literally record setting amps and preamps based on the spec sheets -- S/N >125 dB -- incredible for analog gear. The stuff sounded horrible..

hope you are not talking about the Stasis(a Nelson Pass design) amps. They sounded wonderful. Basically a Threshold amp for a lot less money. Nakamichi made some junk later but the Nakamichi PA7 and PA5 have never been described as sounding horrible till you did, if that is what you meant.
post #387 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivsbai View Post

Hi, I am wondering is oppo 105 apple products friendly? I have a pair of active speaker with no volume control built-in. And I am planning to buy a oppo 105, as it has good quality volume control over analog and great DAC. My question is can I connect iPod dock to the 105's optical digital in? If it may work, would 105's built-in' DAC handle all digital audio processing? Furthermore, would oppo 105's HDMI-in work with apple tv? Again, would oppo's DAC and video engine processing audio and video signal sent from apple tv?

Also, as my music is all in ALAC format in my iPod classic, would this fomat matter? I guess my iPod decodes the ALAC format, and send digital audio signal to the 105 through optical connection, and the 105' DAC convert the digital audio signal to analog, am I right?

The main reason I want to buy a oppo 105 is use it as a BD player and preamp, as the 105 has a state of art DAC.

Thanks

I've not tried AppleTV with the HDMI Inputs, nor have I tried an iPod dock with Optical Digital connection to the Optical Digital input, but I see no reason why either should give you problems. The OPPO can not handle ALAC formatted music files directly, but as played by the iPod it should work. And yes, any audio accepted on the HDMI or Optical Digital inputs will be processed by the same high quality audio in the 105 used for shiny disc playback.

Perhaps someone else here can give this a try for you and report.
--Bob

post #388 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Hi,

Here is my issue:

Thanks,.

Send OPPO Tech Support an email with the details, and see if they have any history with this server. They are likely monitoring email even over the holiday weekend.
--Bob

post #389 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblebum View Post

Hello

Quick question

I currently own an Oppo 83 and don't own a 3D or 4K TV

Looking to upgrade to either 95 or 105

Are there any outstanding hardware or firmware issues outstanding with the 95

or is the 105 a safe bet ?

Thanks

There are still some early product bugs being worked on for the 105, but OPPO's track record is pretty good at fixing such stuff, so I wouldn't be worried. In the long run I think you'll be happier with the 105. So rather than get the 95 now, I'd either get the 105 now or just wait on any purchase for newer firmware on the 105.
--Bob

post #390 of 11417 Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
To continue the discussion of specs versus musicality of a component(alas!) ...

SNR is an indicator of how quiet a circuit is, a product of PCB layout, shielding and component selection and NOT an indicator of how musical the board is which i believe is a function of HOW the circuit is designed. A case in point is the ESS9018 DAC reference board from ESS Technologies. This board measures extremely well and it has to, to show off its awesome technical specs that the 9018 dac has BUT .... it sounds horrible according to Oppo. Hence design changes have to be instituted after the dac to make the board sound extremely pleasant and musical as shown in the Oppo 83SE, 95 and now the 105.

THD is another spec, that in some respects, gives an indicator how 'musical' to the ear a component could be. An obvious case in point is a tube based PCB versus a transistor based one.Consesus is that a tube based design is more pleasant ot the ears than an equivalent transistor one(if thats ever possible to build). Many reasons have been offered as to the reason why but the consesus is the distortion profile of a tube design having even-order harmonics at a high level which are pleasant to the ear versus odd-ordered harmonics of a transistor design which are believed to sound very harsh to the ear.

I believe, one spec that has to be excellent to any musical design is the dynamic range(DNR) spec. If this spec is marginal and not up to snuff, the system will have a noisy(or not so dark) background and the listener will complain about not being able to resolve the quietest parts in a musical passage.

Just my 0.02 cents smile.gif !

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page