31Likes

post #451 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Plug the ORB provided USB stick into a USB port on the 105. Then, in Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage, select to use the ORB stick for Persistent Storage instead of the Internal Flash.
Then power cycle the player for this settings change to take effect. (You may need to do an Energy Efficient power cycle rather than Quick Start -- this is a hardware change I've not tested to make sure Quick Start picks it up properly.)
ORB BR should now find the attached USB stick and use it. The 105 will also use that stick for other Persistent Storage needs of various Blu-ray discs, but the two uses won't get in each other's way.
--Bob

I tried that last night to no avail. But since I assume that you must be right, I tried the rear USB port 1 today (had used the front yesterday) , and viola! Not sure if it is an issue with the front USB drive, but whatever. Thank you again.

By the way, I'm not sure why this little low cost ORB BR isn't discussed more; it has a great interface. I can control it from my phone, and there is much more flexibility in choosing material from my library. Of course, I'm not sure that it plays at the same resolutions as the Oppo Network option....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

I'm looking forward to trying the async USB connection. Yours is the first review of that feature I've read - thanks!
Styln

yep, so far so good - it works better than I was expecting. In case anyone cared you can use asynch UBS in and have the SPDIF outputs transmitting at the same rate.

I'm also using windows which has the extra step of having to load the driver. I've had issues with this with other DACs which is one reason I've been ignoring usb for the most part.

I also have to go back to my thoughts on the headphone amp. I'd just assume anyone with a $1000 headphone would already have a dedicated amp for it. Even if that price is only 20% the cost of a new SR-009, I'd consider $1000 to for the more extreme or dedicated listener. The amp does work well with the lcd-2 and after I listed to a few different albums I realized the dynamics actually werent that bad at all. I was comparing it to a high-end headphone amp that costs significantly more than the 105 which isn't even remotely fair. I still don't think the imposed power limitation makes any sense. They could have just had it come stock set to 0% (headphone amp only) or had the max volume limit preset to say 50% in setting but with the ability to change the max volume setting.
post #453 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

yep, so far so good - it works better than I was expecting. In case anyone cared you can use asynch UBS in and have the SPDIF outputs transmitting at the same rate.
I'm also using windows which has the extra step of having to load the driver. I've had issues with this with other DACs which is one reason I've been ignoring usb for the most part.
I also have to go back to my thoughts on the headphone amp. I'd just assume anyone with a $1000 headphone would already have a dedicated amp for it. Even if that price is only 20% the cost of a new SR-009, I'd consider $1000 to for the more extreme or dedicated listener. The amp does work well with the lcd-2 and after I listed to a few different albums I realized the dynamics actually werent that bad at all. I was comparing it to a high-end headphone amp that costs significantly more than the 105 which isn't even remotely fair. I still don't think the imposed power limitation makes any sense. They could have just had it come stock set to 0% (headphone amp only) or had the max volume limit preset to say 50% in setting but with the ability to change the max volume setting.

You findings are the same as I posted on page 1 of this thread with regards to the Audeze LCD-2. The dynamics ARE a bit squashed compared to a dedicated amp but not because its cheaper, but because there just isn't enough power in the amp. But this was a design choice by Oppo....the chip they use etc is capable of delivering more and others may provide a mod for it. However, for easy listening at late nights, it has a very smooth, comfortable, easy to listen to sound that I may elect to choose over my Burson soloist.
post #454 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received my 105 on 11/20 and let it burn in for several days before I did any serious listening. My two channel system is:

Audio Research LS27
Mark Levinson 433
Revel Studio 2's
MIT cable
Basis 2500, Graham Supreme, Benz Ruby 3

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm a long time vinyl devotee. To this day I've felt that vinyl still reproduces the sound of live music in real space better than digital. Digital has advantages, but string tone and three dimentional space have never approached what I get from records. On a well recorded and well mastered piece of music, I've yet to hear a CD sound as real as vinyl. With SACD it was closer, but vinyl by a nose. Since I listen to lots of classical I typically use massed strings as my primary test. Digital, even SACD, still made the strings sound a bit more course and less sweet.

The Oppo 105 has made a believer out of me. Using the XLR connections, my system is fully balanced, SACD sound in particular is thrilling. The Szell SACD's on Sony classical are a revelation. I've never been able to stand his records because they are compressed on the low end with a piercing upper mid range. On my previous player, a Denon 3930, they were better than the records but nothing special. With the Oppo 105 I hear the orchestra, Severance Hall and the cushion of air within. I compared the Reiner SACD of Also Sprach Zarathustra to the 45RPM Classic Reissue vinyl. With the Denon it was no contest, with the Oppo it was a very close call. My jaw hit the floor when I played some of the early Rolling Stones on SACD. I've been listening to "The Last Time" for more years than I care to admit. I never, and I mean never, heard it like I did yesterday.

Regular CD is improved as well, but the Oppo can't overcome the limitations built into the format. The HDCD Reference Recordings I tried were great, but regular CD with the Oppo only went from good to pretty good. It was the jump in SACD quality that really lit my fuse.

I have a dedicated, treated room. While it serves a dual purpose, HT and 2 channel, 2 channel sound comes first. In my room, which has good acoustic properties, DRC is fine for HT. But I've never liked what it did to 2 channel. If you much prefer the sound you get now using DRC, then the 103 may make more sense for you. But if you don't use DRC for two channel, then the 105 should be on your short list.

Finally, I've never tried or heard the 95. So how it compares to the 105 I'll leave to others.

Well done Oppo!
post #455 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
FMD

Liked: 12
Has anyone noticed any unresponsiveness with the remote? I have been having problems where one button will activate the wrong function or the buttons won't work at all. Even up close to the unit. Have tried changing to fresh batteries to the same result. Take a quick power down/up to resolve. Curious if anyone has seen this

Have been accessing FLAC files via a USB drive and over my network. Does anyone know of an easy way to manage the folder structure or at least randomize the playback?

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #456 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
After all the debating and some member impressions, I ordered the 105.
post #457 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Has anyone noticed any unresponsiveness with the remote? I have been having problems where one button will activate the wrong function or the buttons won't work at all. Even up close to the unit. Have tried changing to fresh batteries to the same result. Take a quick power down/up to resolve. Curious if anyone has seen this

It could be defective. Would you be using an active shutter 3D display by any chance?
Quote:
Have been accessing FLAC files via a USB drive and over my network. Does anyone know of an easy way to manage the folder structure

Do what?
Quote:
or at least randomize the playback?

The manual describes the random/shuffle control. On older players there was a technique to flatten folders for a combined view; I forget the details at this moment. Maybe the new sorting controls do something similar?

-Bill
post #458 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
FMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It could be defective. Would you be using an active shutter 3D display by any chance?

Nope. I was using for audio only playing a SACD

The manual describes the random/shuffle control. On older players there was a technique to flatten folders for a combined view; I forget the details at this moment. Maybe the new sorting controls do something similar?
-Bill

I'll check that out

Thanks Bill

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #459 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm ordering the 105 to act as my preamp and bluray, as my aging krell hts2 does not even have 5 analog inputs. I'd like to connect the 105 directly to my amp which has 5 xlr connections (along with rca connections, of course). Is it possible to connect the 2 balanced xlr connections to my amp and the other 4 to my amp and sub? I can't connect to the rca and and xlr on my amp at the same time as the rca's won't play when the xlr is plugged in, but I would like to take advantage of the stereo xlr output of the 105. I apologize if this is too basic of a question, but any help would be appreciated.
post #460 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

H. Does anyone know of an easy way to manage the folder structure or at least randomize the playback?

I put my music into different folders which helps alot. I don't know if you know the basic functions of the remote, like the page down/up button goes down a page of music too and the GOTO button can be used to go directly to a specific numbered file.
post #461 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
FMD

Quote:

I put my music into different folders which helps alot. I don't know if you know the basic functions of the remote, like the page down/up button goes down a page of music too and the GOTO button can be used to go directly to a specific numbered file.

I do see that and I am doing the same. I use dbpoweramp to rip my FLAC's and it is sorted by Artist, etc. I guess I was hoping of some sort of control app that would allow for playlists, random shuffling, etc

Thanks for the response

post #462 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post

I'm ordering the 105 to act as my preamp and bluray, as my aging krell hts2 does not even have 5 analog inputs. I'd like to connect the 105 directly to my amp which has 5 xlr connections (along with rca connections, of course). Is it possible to connect the 2 balanced xlr connections to my amp and the other 4 to my amp and sub? I can't connect to the rca and and xlr on my amp at the same time as the rca's won't play when the xlr is plugged in, but I would like to take advantage of the stereo xlr output of the 105. I apologize if this is too basic of a question, but any help would be appreciated.

You may have a problem with that because there is often a 12 dB level difference between XLR and RCA. In line attenuators could be used.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #463 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I believe it is only 6db but that still is a fair amount.

post #464 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Hi,

Anyone having issues with playing 1080P MKV files with LPCM 5.1 audio? I am getting a "Invalid Audio Format" error.

Thanks.
post #465 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I know Oppo is very capable of fixing whatever FW problems they may have with these new units but still, its quite unsettling to read about new problems due to FW(mostly?). I know these are teething problems for Oppo but will hold off from selling my ISO-capable 95 until these errors settle down to a trickle. Ofcourse, i could throw caution to the wind once i read new reviews with better-than-Oppo95 technical measurements from Secrets, Audioholics and others:D !

You worry too much. biggrin.gif
--Bob

Easy for you to say since you are the Godfather of AVSsmile.gif.... Will you hold my hand as i attempt cross this minefield of indecision? biggrin.gif

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #466 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

I'm looking forward to trying the async USB connection. Yours is the first review of that feature I've read - thanks!
Styln

I read a blog from a well known Oppo modder today (Dan Wright of ModWright.com) and he said it was a software problem Oppo was having driving the current feedback headphone amplifier(TPA6120A) from TI. Not sure how true or valid this statement is. If its true, ans big IF indeed, then future software fixes could increase the power of the amplifier. Right now, the gain of the HA is 1 and the signal output is very low.

Dan also said, that for some reason, the signal from the HA is substiantially different, in form, than the other signals from the RCA and XLR outs. again, not just low, but different. If true, again this would be an interesting development.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #467 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I believe it is only 6db but that still is a fair amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post

You may have a problem with that because there is often a 12 dB level difference between XLR and RCA. In line attenuators could be used.

Yup ... 6dB it is indeed (20 * log2). You'll need XLR attenuators to level match the XLR signals to the RCA signals. Plenty available if you google "In-Line XLR attenuators". Just make sure they have the right attenuation number ...

post #468 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM

First real post for a long, long time smile.gif That includes most reviewers biggrin.gif
post #469 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

So I suggest you RE-install 1114B and try again with that disc. If the problem returns in 1114B firmware, then email OPPO Tech Support with the details. Please be sure to include the bar code number from the disc packaging (including the tiny digits at either end) so they can be sure they are checking the precise version of the disc you are using. Also please be sure to tell them you have verified the Chapter plays fine on rolling back to 1018 but fails again after RE-installing 1114B.

The Banshee Rookery scene played through without issue after re-upgrading to 1114B. Perhaps it was some dirt on the lens or disc, as you theorized.

Edit: Just encountered the same problem while re-watching the Star Trek (2009) BD. This time the problem was not reproducible after an on/off cycle (w/o eject). I haven't encountered this before with any BD disc or any player. Hopefully it won't continue!
post #470 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski View Post

Hi,
Anyone having issues with playing 1080P MKV files with LPCM 5.1 audio? I am getting a "Invalid Audio Format" error.
Thanks.
MKV is just a container. You can use the application Mediainfo that tell about the different part of your mkv and their encoding.
It could be something inside the mkv that it does not like.
post #471 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

Quote:

So I suggest you RE-install 1114B and try again with that disc. If the problem returns in 1114B firmware, then email OPPO Tech Support with the details. Please be sure to include the bar code number from the disc packaging (including the tiny digits at either end) so they can be sure they are checking the precise version of the disc you are using. Also please be sure to tell them you have verified the Chapter plays fine on rolling back to 1018 but fails again after RE-installing 1114B.

The Banshee Rookery scene played through without issue after re-upgrading to 1114B. Perhaps it was some dirt on the lens or disc, as you theorized.

Edit: Just encountered the same problem while re-watching the Star Trek (2009) BD. This time the problem was not reproducible after an on/off cycle (w/o eject). I haven't encountered this before with any BD disc or any player. Hopefully it won't continue!

Unless you are playing discs that need cleaning (often the case with rental discs), this is not normal behavior. So give OPPO Tech Support a call and let them work this with you. They may want to check out the player to see if there's a problem with its optical drive.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #472 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

. . . .

Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can sort this out for you. It is possible your Display is flooding the room with Infrared light and thus obscuring the remote, or that the remote is faulty. If you are trying to use some sort of extender for the remote that could also be the problem.

Double check that the batteries are inserted the correct way around. And try another pair of batteries as you may have had the bad luck to get a dud pair in your first replacement. It happens.

If necessary, OPPO can send out a replacement remote easily enough.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #473 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

Quote:

Plug the ORB provided USB stick into a USB port on the 105. Then, in Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage, select to use the ORB stick for Persistent Storage instead of the Internal Flash.
Then power cycle the player for this settings change to take effect. (You may need to do an Energy Efficient power cycle rather than Quick Start -- this is a hardware change I've not tested to make sure Quick Start picks it up properly.)
ORB BR should now find the attached USB stick and use it. The 105 will also use that stick for other Persistent Storage needs of various Blu-ray discs, but the two uses won't get in each other's way.
--Bob

I tried that last night to no avail. But since I assume that you must be right, I tried the rear USB port 1 today (had used the front yesterday) , and viola! Not sure if it is an issue with the front USB drive, but whatever. Thank you again.

By the way, I'm not sure why this little low cost ORB BR isn't discussed more; it has a great interface. I can control it from my phone, and there is much more flexibility in choosing material from my library. Of course, I'm not sure that it plays at the same resolutions as the Oppo Network option....

I'm glad you got it working! Any of the 3 USB ports should work for this. You may have to Erase Persistent Storage after setting the ORB provided stick as your Persistent Storage Memory (and power cycling) so that ORB BR initializes it again from scratch for the new player.
--Bob

post #474 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

MKV is just a container. You can use the application Mediainfo that tell about the different part of your mkv and their encoding.
It could be something inside the mkv that it does not like.

Thanks. I sent the results from Mediainfo to Oppo Support.
post #475 of 11335 Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Send OPPO Tech Support an email with the details, and see if they have any history with this server. They are likely monitoring email even over the holiday weekend.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I spoke with Oppo support earlier today and they suggested that I re-index my media server. I did, however, I am still getting the same issue.
post #476 of 11335 Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Question:

I didn't managed to see a post on the initial setup with a direct connection to a power amp:

I don't want to bust my speakers...

Does the Oppo 105 start at Max volume?

How do I tell the actual volume?

Roughly how much should I set the volume to?

Thanks
post #477 of 11335 Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Question:

I didn't managed to see a post on the initial setup with a direct connection to a power amp:

I don't want to bust my speakers...

Does the Oppo 105 start at Max volume?

How do I tell the actual volume?

Roughly how much should I set the volume to?

Thanks
When you Reset the player -- when it is new or after a firmware install -- the Analog Volume is set to max (100). This is in support of the "normal" use of the player -- i.e., connected through a pre-amp that actually controls the volume.

Until you know what's safe for YOUR directly-connected amps and speakers, set that down near 0 before you start playing any audio and then raise it to a comfortable level.

Volume control buttons are on the remote. Volume changes display on the TV screen and also on the player's Front Panel display.

For the 105, the Headphone volume is separate. You can preset the Headphone volume in the Setup menu. I suggest again you start low and then see what's comfortable. When the Headphones are plugged in the Volume and Mute buttons on the remote switch to controlling the Headphone volume (the other audio outputs are automatically muted).

The last Volume that you have set is retained across power cycles, even if the player loses wall power.
--Bob

post #478 of 11335 Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks Bob
I look forward to being the first owner down under..

I sold my 95, but I am not sure if the 105 will be significantly better than the 95 or my other Oppo, the Nuforce 83... it's a lovely and convenient all in one machine though..
post #479 of 11335 Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is it possible to connect the Dish Network to Oppo 105 using an HDMI for video and also connect the Optical for audio at the same time?

Can the HDMI-in and optical-in be selected at the same time/for the same source?
post #480 of 11335 Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Is it possible to connect the Dish Network to Oppo 105 using an HDMI for video and also connect the Optical for audio at the same time?

Can the HDMI-in and optical-in be selected at the same time/for the same source?

No, you can not mix Input choices.

I don't know whether this flexibility is something that might be possible to add in future firmware.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page