190Likes

post #5221 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

The Oppo has no amplifier and no speakers - it cannot make audio sound, so the sound is not being produced by the Oppo. What have you got it hooked up to other than your Marantz that has amps and speakers? As Bob and I both asked, do you have your TV speakers enabled?
Thanks. TV speakers are disabled. I can't figure out how both are processing sound at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzohr View Post

This is correct and the setting that the most of us are using. "Variable" is rather for people who use the Oppo as a pre-amp.
That`s odd. Did you change something in the speaker configuration?
The only thing I changed is from big to small.
post #5223 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

The only thing I changed is from big to small.

What model Marantz pre/pro are you using?
post #5224 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Thanks. TV speakers are disabled. I can't figure out how both are processing sound at the same time.

so you only have the one set of speakers but you are hearing audio doubled up and slightly delayed?

- do you have either of the Zone2/3 enabled on the Marantz? Are you absolutely sure that none of the AVR amplifiers are assigned to Zone 2 or 3? And you have no speakers in your room connected to those amplifier terminals assigned to Zone2/3 (front wide, front height, surround back - are any speakers connected to those terminals?)? That is the only way I can imagine the Marantz simultaneously playing both Oppo HDMI and Analog outputs - you would have to have two different audio paths active on the AVR and the only way to do that is with the Zones.

I would start over with all the hook-ups, speaker connections etc. Something is connected incorrectly - sometimes the easiest way to find it is to start over from scratch.

Stephen Powell
post #5225 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

What model Marantz pre/pro are you using?
Marantz SR7005
post #5226 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

so you only have the one set of speakers but you are hearing audio doubled up and slightly delayed?

- do you have either of the Zone2/3 enabled on the Marantz? Are you absolutely sure that none of the AVR amplifiers are assigned to Zone 2 or 3? And you have no speakers in your room connected to those amplifier terminals assigned to Zone2/3 (front wide, front height, surround back - are any speakers connected to those terminals?)? That is the only way I can imagine the Marantz simultaneously playing both Oppo HDMI and Analog outputs - you would have to have two different audio paths active on the AVR and the only way to do that is with the Zones.

I would start over with all the hook-ups, speaker connections etc. Something is connected incorrectly - sometimes the easiest way to find it is to start over from scratch.
Yes only one set of speakers. Zone 2 is enabled(but off). I have my Adcom amp pushing my multiroom off it.
Again you can see from my above post my set up. It's almost like the oppo is pushing analog while the marantz is pushing digital. Could there be something I'm missing on the "amp assign" on the marantz?
post #5227 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Yes only one set of speakers. Zone 2 is enabled(but off). I have my Adcom amp pushing my multiroom off it.
Again you can see from my above post my set up. It's almost like the oppo is pushing analog while the marantz is pushing digital. Could there be something I'm missing on the "amp assign" on the marantz?

Oppo pushing analog through what though? It has to be some amp and some speakers - so what amp is the Oppo's analog connected to? What speakers does that amp feed. Find that and there's your problem. I suspect it is Zone 2 or 3 - because it really can't be anything else - the Marantz main zone cannot simultaneously use analog and digital inputs for audio, so it has to be another zone.

Stephen Powell
post #5228 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Oppo pushing analog through what though? It has to be some amp and some speakers - so what amp is the Oppo's analog connected to? What speakers does that amp feed. Find that and there's your problem. I suspect it is Zone 2 or 3 - because it really can't be anything else - the Marantz main zone cannot simultaneously use analog and digital inputs for audio, so it has to be another zone.
I don't know. I have my zone 2 hooked into a separate amp(which is off). What else could be hooked up wrong ?
post #5229 of 12056 Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I don't know. I have my zone 2 hooked into a separate amp(which is off). What else could be hooked up wrong ?

Surround Back Speakers assigned to Zone 3? If you disconnect all speakers other than the FL/FR do you still hear both analog and HDMI from the Oppo?

Stephen Powell
post #5230 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 AM

Liked: 21
I am a newcomer to this forum and have read most of it to date - that has been very helpful in what has been a complicated path to understanding multi-channel and home theatre sound processing.

Because I was previously running (what I thought was) audiophile 2-channel system (Vincent SDV3 CD/DVD/sacd) into Burson HA160 headphone DAC/amp as pre- amplifier into CARY 300B mono blocks to ALMARRO M2 speakers) my priority was highest quality audio with ability to have good multi-channel sound for HT (Samsung 55ES8000 panel).

What I ended up with is the OPPO 105 feeding an Arcam AV600 sending output to the Almarro L/R speakers plus to custom made centre and SL/SR units which use the same drivers as the Almarro.

The wring configuration is:
1. OPPO stereo output (Sabre DAC) to the "CD inputs" of the Arcam using good RCA interconnects.
2. OPPO multichannel RCA connects to the Arcam dedicated "MCH inputs"
3. OPPO HDMI 1 to Arcam "AV input".
4. OPPO HDMI 2 to the Samsung panel.

After some (only a week so far!) testing I have reached some initial thoughts:

1. The stereo output from the OPPO Sabre DAC is marvellous - a huge step up from the old Vincent SDV3 but cannot judge versus the Burson kit, which is very good, because it is not in the system......yet. The soundstage is wider and more detailed than I have ever heard - a major step forward.
2. For multichannel audio using the OPPO RCA outs, the sound is great but I disable the centre channel
lanping09 likes this.
post #5231 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 21
Damn! I accidentally hit the Reply button and sent unfinished report. Her is the rest:

2. For multichannel audio using the RCA outs, the sound is great but I prefer to disable the centre channel as the Almarros have enough range for my tastes. These L/R speakers are set to large so I do not run a subwoofer is this mode. The sound quality from the OPPO's is very good, but the dedicated stereo from the Sabre DAC is still preferred for critical (non- SACD) listening.
3. For SACD multichannel listening I have the option of using Arcam DACs from he HDMI feed, again with centre channel switched off. This sound quality is at least as good as the OPPO multichannel RCA outputs.
4. For HT music BD/DVD enjoyment I use the multichannel output of the OPPO and no centre channel (4.0). Wife & I watched " Les Miserables" in this mode and I think my excesses are forgiven!!
5. For movies the HDMI/AVR in full 5.1output comes into play and I am very pleased with the results.

I was so pleased with the video management of the 105 (i also feed an AppleTV into it) that I bought the OPPO 103 for the family TV room: Topfield 7100 PVR and Apple TV -> OPPO103->SONY 46HX800 with a Yamaha 2200 sound bar somewhere in the middle. The video upgrade is astounding....even dear wife remarked positively (but I better fix up the Harmony controller configuration!). I have done a fair amount of photography ( Esp. Photoshop) and the kind of colour and tone gradation I strive fir from digital stills is where the OPPO output resides. I can live with a fair amount of noise in shadows to enjoy those peachy mid and high tones.

As you can tell, I hope, I am very pleased with the OPPO products as well as with the ( rather expensive) Arcam AVR600.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5232 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Surround Back Speakers assigned to Zone 3? If you disconnect all speakers other than the FL/FR do you still hear both analog and HDMI from the Oppo?
No the surround R/L are connected to the main zone. As are the front L/C/R as well as the amp.
post #5233 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

No the surround R/L are connected to the main zone. As are the front L/C/R as well as the amp.
This isn't an Oppo issue. By design, all outputs on the Oppo are always active (with limited exceptions, such as no audio on the coax/toslink digital outputs for SACD's). The problem has to be something to do with how you have your AVR setup which will be best handled in the thread for your AVR.
stevepow likes this.
post #5234 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Right now I'm listening to a SACD 5.1 on the oppo. The audio input on my AVR is analog and I'm only getting 2 channel while only able to control the audio from the oppo. When I switch the AVR from analog to 7.1 no difference only 2 channel from oppo. When I switch the AVR to "auto" which Is HDMI w/ room correction there is volume from both the oppo and AVR. So what I need to do is turn the volume all the way down on the oppo and up on the AVR so I can listen in 5.1. Surly I must have something hooked up wrong or set wrong. Thanks

This is strange. Have you checked the Oppo Speaker settings to make sure that your Oppo has 7.1 speakers configured properly?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #5235 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Right now I'm listening to a SACD 5.1 on the oppo. The audio input on my AVR is analog and I'm only getting 2 channel while only able to control the audio from the oppo. When I switch the AVR from analog to 7.1 no difference only 2 channel from oppo. When I switch the AVR to "auto" which Is HDMI w/ room correction there is volume from both the oppo and AVR. So what I need to do is turn the volume all the way down on the oppo and up on the AVR so I can listen in 5.1. Surly I must have something hooked up wrong or set wrong. Thanks

This convinces me that you have a Zone setup problem or a faulty AVR. If you are listening to SACD analog and cannot control the volume with the AVR - that means the audio is not coming from the Main Zone and is not responding to Main Zone volume control, it has to be coming from a 2nd Zone.

That, or your AVR is broken - and maybe it is. This is not an Oppo issue - the Oppo is working as it should, but something with your AVR is not right.

I seriously suggest you start over with your connections - all of them - speakers, inputs - all of it. Disconnect everything and start over with a bare bones setup. If there is a RESET for the Marantz AVR, do a full RESET. Next, very carefully test your AVR function: Set the OPPO to 100% fixed volume - that is the correct setting when using the Oppo with an AVR. Start with ONLY the FL/FR speakers connected to the AVR and get simple Stereo CD from the Oppo working over analog. Then add HDMI from Oppo to AVR and make sure simple Stereo works correctly and that you don't hear any doubling delayed audio.

If all that works fine, then add the surround speakers and go from there. If there is a Marantz 7001 forum, check there. I have two Marantz AVRs and a Denon and have owned other Denon - never experienced anything like what you are seeing, but anything can happen - you may have a faulty AVR.

Good luck.
lanping09 likes this.

Stephen Powell
post #5236 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks. Yes when set from variable to fixed i cant alter the volume from the oppo or marantz. But on variable i can. Before disassemble everything i'll give oppo a call. i dont think its a zone issue. I'm starting the think i might need to change something on the "amp assign" on the marantz.
post #5237 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Thanks. Yes when set from variable to fixed i cant alter the volume from the oppo or marantz. But on variable i can. Before disassemble everything i'll give oppo a call. i dont think its a zone issue. I'm starting the think i might need to change something on the "amp assign" on the marantz.
Having the volume in the fixed position on your Oppo is the correct setup when you hook up a preamp or AVR to it. All volume adjustments should be made from your preamp or avr. If you're unable to adjust your volume on your avr, something is wrong with it.
post #5238 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:

There's obviously something screwy going on in your AVR setup. You may be using the wrong input/output jacks on the AVR or have an unusual settings combo in it.

Try this: Physically disconnect the HDMI cable between the OPPO and the AVR so that the ONLY audio connection you have from the OPPO to the AVR is the Analog audio RCA cables. (If you have any Optical/COAX digital audio connections from the OPPO to the AVR disconnect those too.) Now set the AVR to play the DISCONNECTED HDMI Input from the OPPO. You should of course get no audio because there is nothing connected to that HDMI Input. If you ARE getting audio then follow the Analog audio signal path from the OPPO through the AVR to the speakers checking both your choice of input/output jacks and the settings in the AVR that alter that path.

Fix whatever setup error is allowing the audio to get to the speakers.

Then reconnect the HDMI cable from the OPPO to the AVR and test again.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5239 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,
Sorry for a probably stupid question. I'm a new Oppo 105 owner. While I'm absolutely love the clarity and transparency of oppo's sound I find the bass quite a week when using cd/blu ray input. In order to achieve reasonable bass sound I have to push my bass on pre-amp almost to the limit (I"m using analogue 2 channel output to Adcom pre-amp and Adcom power amp aith KEF's speakers)
Today I tried playing flac files on Audirvana on my mac through USB DAC and bass range was powerful and crisp - quite a difference comparing with CD's. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!
post #5240 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegri1964 View Post

Hello,
Sorry for a probably stupid question. I'm a new Oppo 105 owner. While I'm absolutely love the clarity and transparency of oppo's sound I find the bass quite a week when using cd/blu ray input. In order to achieve reasonable bass sound I have to push my bass on pre-amp almost to the limit (I"m using analogue 2 channel output to Adcom pre-amp and Adcom power amp aith KEF's speakers)
Today I tried playing flac files on Audirvana on my mac through USB DAC and bass range was powerful and crisp - quite a difference comparing with CD's. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!
Make sure your Oppo's volume is set to "fixed". Did you actually test a music track on your cd with the same ripped track in flac format? Both should sound the same. It's like comparing apples to oranges if you don't sample the same music for audio testing. I'm not using the dac input on the Oppo. I "push" my flac files from my pc (or Ipad or Iphone, etc.) to the Oppo via dlna server on my home network....Oppo becomes a Digital Media Renderer. I think it's the best solution for playing any digital files on the Oppo. All you need is DLNA Media Server software to run on your pc or mac.
post #5241 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There's obviously something screwy going on in your AVR setup. You may be using the wrong input/output jacks on the AVR or have an unusual settings combo in it.

Try this: Physically disconnect the HDMI cable between the OPPO and the AVR so that the ONLY audio connection you have from the OPPO to the AVR is the Analog audio RCA cables. (If you have any Optical/COAX digital audio connections from the OPPO to the AVR disconnect those too.) Now set the AVR to play the DISCONNECTED HDMI Input from the OPPO. You should of course get no audio because there is nothing connected to that HDMI Input. If you ARE getting audio then follow the Analog audio signal path from the OPPO through the AVR to the speakers checking both your choice of input/output jacks and the settings in the AVR that alter that path.

Fix whatever setup error is allowing the audio to get to the speakers.

Then reconnect the HDMI cable from the OPPO to the AVR and test again.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. I'll give that a shot when i get home.
post #5242 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegri1964 View Post

Hello,
Thanks so much!

Sounds like you have Crossover processing active in the OPPO which is extracting bass below the selected Crossover frequency from those Stereo channels and redirecting it to the Subwoofer output. Since you don't have the Subwoofer output hooked up, you are losing that bass. When you play audio via the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, no such Crossover processing is possible and so you get the full bass range in each of those Stereo channels.

SO, first make sure you have actually connected to the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs of the 105 -- either the RCA pair or the XLR pair at your preference.

Next, go into Setup and check the Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal setting. It's at the bottom of the Audio Processing sub-menu so you'll need to scroll up or down in the menu to see it. That setting should be DOWN MIX STEREO, which is what makes the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs operate independently of the settings that affect the Multi-channel Analog audio output set -- such as the Crossover setting itself.

If it is set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, change it to DOWN MIX STEREO and you will be good to go.

If it is *ALREADY* set to DOWN MIX STEREO, then try this: Change it to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and then BACK to DOWN MIX STEREO and see if that cures the problem. You may be being bitten by a bug which causes the Stereo Signal setting to mistakenly use the opposite choice to the one you have set in Setup. Toggling the setting like this will cure that.

Now, this will fix the problem for CDs, but for Blu-rays you might want to reconsider the way you have things hooked up. When playing multi-channel Blu-ray tracks out the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs in this fashion the LFE (bass effects) channel will be discarded for audio quality reasons. (Details have been discussed in this thread, but I don't want to sidetrack you too much with those now.)

The OTHER audio channels in the Blu-ray track still carry bass, and you'll get all of that in the Stereo down-mix, but you won't get the LFE bass. The best solution would be to add a Subwoofer to the mix and switch to the Multi-channel Analog outputs (for example) for Blu-ray playback.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5243 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwillia33 View Post

I accidentally hit the Reply button and sent unfinished report.

You can easily edit a post after posting it.
TKO1 likes this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #5244 of 12056 Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Liked: 10
Will the "USB Asynchronous DAC " in the 105 also be able to handle Mch input (not only 2ch) and then pass this through analogue cables to my NAD T787.
post #5245 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiske View Post

Will the "USB Asynchronous DAC " in the 105 also be able to handle Mch input (not only 2ch).

No. Only 2ch. Honestly, I never have heard about any USB DAC, that can handle multichannel.
post #5246 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

There are lots of ways to play multichannel on the 105, but the Asynchronous USB DAC Input is not one of them.
--Bob

post #5247 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiske View Post

Will the "USB Asynchronous DAC " in the 105 also be able to handle Mch input (not only 2ch) and then pass this through analogue cables to my NAD T787.

Oppo told me that when they started the 105 design, the XMOS Microcontroller solution they had selected to use didn't have a MCH USB solution but only a Stereo one. Current XMOS solutions(using the xCORE microcontroller) support up to 8 channels at 24b/192kHz. No plans to upgrade the 105 to support MCH over USB.

For those who care, this is what XMOS says about their xCORE architecture:

"

xCORE is a new class of microcontroller that has multiple (32-bit) processor cores, incredibly flexible I/O, and a unique timing deterministic architecture which makes it very easy to use.

Using xCORE multicore microcontrollers, you can quickly design new embedded electronic systems which exactly meet your end customer’s needs and which deliver precise timing."

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #5248 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM

Hello I finally got the 105 working properly.Thanks Bob,Steve and Holzohr for your help. It turns out i had the 7.1 analog input to my AVR incorrectly. BTW Oppo has amazing customer service!.I terms of video setup, Is there a preferred set up that is used? i just briefly tried playing a old DVD movie last night and the quality was just meh. I haven't tried a Blu-ray yet. Thanks again
stevepow likes this.
post #5249 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

I terms of video setup, Is there a preferred set up that is used? i just briefly tried playing a old DVD movie last night and the quality was just meh. I haven't tried a Blu-ray yet. Thanks again

Video quality is an interaction with your display chain. Do you do your own display calibration?

The FAQ has some general suggestions: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5250 of 12056 Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM

Thanks Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page