Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 184 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig39 View Post

Hi Bill.
Thanks for wellcomming.
Yes I did.Correction: my player won't play the AVCHD folder content at all.It did though with the previous firmware.

AVCHD backups of Blu-ray discs will no longer work, but AVCHD produced by camcorders should. This was in the release notes for the recent firmware.

We have found that backups of one title only without menus will still play, and there is a utility reported here that will patch an AVCHD structure to make it playable. It would not surprise me if both methods stopped working in the future. The studios do not want you making copies and they have the power to enforce their will.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot Bill!
I thought so....
That's why I want to revert.I found a method for the 93/95's but I'm not sure its gonna work with the 105 frown.gif
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Thanks a lot Bill!
I thought so....
That's why I want to revert.I found a method for the 93/95's but I'm not sure its gonna work with the 105 frown.gif
As stated in the release notes, there's no way to revert the firmware on the 103/105.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

That's why I want to revert.(

No need to revert. You have a PM.
MrBig39 likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Boy! I have a 93 stored away temporarily updated to the last firmware before the ISO prohibition. I don't think a future firmware is EVER in the cards for it. My 83SE is in the system now. I will probably get the 105 (to stay on topic!) in the future for the the inputs. Three OPPOs? Why not?
MrBig39 likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hi all. I've got the same problem.My OPPO 105 was working flawlessly until I ugraded to the new firmware.Since the device is freezing all the time with my 1 Tb WD, I have to turn it on and off all the time.With the previous firmware I was able to watch all my BD disc rips(BD ISO),a lot of FLACKs tat it played with the previous firmware are now unreconizable.
Please ,can anyone help me how to downgrade or revert to previous firmware.All the answers will be much appreciated!!!!
Did you unplug the power cord? I was having an issue (not your issue) after applying the latest firmware and it cleared up after unplugging/plugging-in the power cord.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 16
Hello, recent owner of a 105. I have my STB plugged into the HDMI in. I noticed i was having lip sych issues. I have the lip sych off on mt STB. I unplugged the Oppo for a few minutes and it seems to have corrected the problem. Is this a persistent problem? Is there any other setting i should check? thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks a lot Bill!
I thought so....
MrBig,
Do you remember the version you want to revert back to? I'm getting my delivered today and may not even update mine if I don't have to just for that reason.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Alright, I'll check out a sound level meter. I noticed the "Dynamic EQ" under Audyssey options, makes a HUGE difference. It seems to sound much better with Dynamic EQ on at whatever volume, yet I read it's designed for optimizing sound at low volumes? Is there something I could be doing wrong as to why it makes such a huge difference? Or again is that just something a sound level meter would help? (I did try lowering the trim on all the front speakers to -10db and raising the rear ones to +5db through the Speaker Config in the Oppo, and still.. Audyssey had a more enveloping sound.

Pioneer Elite SC-25/Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7 channel setup
Reaction Audio PS215X (booya!)
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusoro View Post

Your are most likely hearing the benefits of Audysseys room correction.You also might want to consider the OPPO bdp 103 or try Room treatment.

Well what I don't understand, is my room is super simple. It's just a Rectangle. Nothing is blocking the speakers at all either. I even went back and sat right next to my rear speakers, after I made the front speakers -10db and the rear +5db and still nearly all I could hear were the front speakers.

Pioneer Elite SC-25/Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7 channel setup
Reaction Audio PS215X (booya!)
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Bob,

You are absolutely correct: I was confused in my explanation, but actually have things set up correctly. The one caveat is that I didn't realize I needn't use the unbalanced front left/right stereo I plugged into the 7.1 input of the Cary and instead can rely on balanced output for surround as well. If that works with the Cary, I'll be a very happy camper. I'll pull the unbalanced stereo cables tomorrow and give it a try, starting with with Jazz at the Pawnshop.

db

Bob,

I'm going to try using balanced stereo for the front left/right of 7.1, but I'm doubtful the Cary will permit this. The balanced input of the Cary is accessed by selecting Input 1. The 7.1 set of inputs is accessed by selecting Input 7.1 . Inputs, including HDMI 1 & 2, are selected individually.

db

That's not uncommon. I was wondering whether your AVR would actually allow this. Stick with using the Dedicated Stereo RCA jacks then instead of the XLR jacks. I do *NOT* recommend you use any sort of XLR to RCA cable adapter.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 678
if any members are into digital cameras with WiFi capabilities:

the Sony NEX 5R has WiFi capabilities and it finds the OPPO 105 quickly (use send to TV) :

I was able to upload my photos to the OPPO and once set, it will upload new photos automatically: really a nice alternative to using a USB cable: photos look excellent smile.gif

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player3 View Post

Well what I don't understand, is my room is super simple. It's just a Rectangle. Nothing is blocking the speakers at all either. I even went back and sat right next to my rear speakers, after I made the front speakers -10db and the rear +5db and still nearly all I could hear were the front speakers.

Except for test signals, in most cases the output from rear/surround channels is often not that high or that frequent in movies. Most movies have the majority of their sound concentrated in the front, especially the center channel where all the dialog generally takes place. The only way to be sure you've got the balance right is to use an sound level meter and/or microphone and a program (like Audyssey or whatever your AVR might use) and test signals to properly set the speaker levels. Most people expect far more surround and bass from soundtracks than is usually there in the mix. Though some people like to boost the surrounds and subwoofer for extra impact. I don't but your preferences may be different.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View PostExcept for test signals, in most cases the output from rear/surround channels is often not that high or that frequent in movies. Most movies have the majority of their sound concentrated in the front, especially the center channel where all the dialog generally takes place. The only way to be sure you've got the balance right is to use an sound level meter and/or microphone and a program (like Audyssey or whatever your AVR might use) and test signals to properly set the speaker levels. Most people expect far more surround and bass from soundtracks than is usually there in the mix. Though some people like to boost the surrounds and subwoofer for extra impact. I don't but your preferences may be different.

Yes, I always increase the trim for surround speakers and subwoofer at least by 3db :0

On an other note it seems there has been a lot of issues with the Oppo BDP-105 :(

I am still looking at option waiting to see when it is stable. All I care about is to use it for Blu Ray, SACD and USB DACs from my Mac, the rest doesn't matter. Streaming, I have  an Apple TV that works great

Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The only issue I am having with my 105 is lip sync. Everything else is great
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

The only issue I am having with my 105 is lip sync. Everything else is great

Lip sync well that's a major issue, have you emailed Oppo?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes, I always increase the trim for surround speakers and subwoofer at least by 3db :0

On an other note it seems there has been a lot of issues with the Oppo BDP-105 frown.gif

I am still looking at option waiting to see when it is stable. All I care about is to use it for Blu Ray, SACD and USB DACs from my Mac, the rest doesn't matter. Streaming, I have  an Apple TV that works great

Right now all I use my 105 for is BD, SACD and CD and occasionally FLAC files from a USB stick and I have 0 issues. Maybe, I'm just lucky. I'm not doing a lot of the stuff that seems to be causing problems like heavy streaming, playing back movie rips, plugging my cable box, etc. into the Oppo and like that. I don't know if I would have problems if I did any of those things since none of them are things I am interested in doing right now. Six months from now might be different though.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Lip sync well that's a major issue, have you emailed Oppo?
No. I just ran optical out of the satellite box and all is good
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Right now all I use my 105 for is BD, SACD and CD and occasionally FLAC files from a USB stick and I have 0 issues. Maybe, I'm just lucky. I'm not doing a lot of the stuff that seems to be causing problems like heavy streaming, playing back movie rips, plugging my cable box, etc. into the Oppo and like that. I don't know if I would have problems if I did any of those things since none of them are things I am interested in doing right now. Six months from now might be different though.
Why would you "not" be interested in letting your Oppo upsample your incoming cable box video to 1080p? That was one of the first things I was hoping I could do after buying my new Samsung tv and Oppo 105. Seems like the only way I can take advantage of Oppo's 1080p output, without much hardship, is playing a BD...until the lip sync/video issues get resolved.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Why would you "not" be interested in letting your Oppo upsample your incoming cable box video to 1080p?
Because I don't want lip sync issues. Because I don't want to have to turn on my Oppo every time I want to watch TV. IMO, by outputting native resolution from the STB and letting the display do the upscaling rather than the STB, PQ is great (and likely not noticeably worse than having the Oppo do the upscaling).
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I just replaced my oppo 95 with the 105 and I love it! It's a nice upgrade over my beloved 95.

I do have question though, I want to hook up my hd camcorder via the front panel hdmi what settings do I need to change in the menu to be able to see and hear the content from the camcorder

Thanks bob
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Thanks a lot Bill!
I thought so....

There's another approach. If you buy the media, then the Oppo can play it.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

I just replaced my oppo 95 with the 105 and I love it! It's a nice upgrade over my beloved 95.

I do have question though, I want to hook up my hd camcorder via the front panel hdmi what settings do I need to change in the menu to be able to see and hear the content from the camcorder

Thanks bob
The camcorder has to be able to output a standard TV resolution like 720p, or 1080p.

On the OPPO press the Input button (top right) and select the Input you want to use from the pop up menu. Select Blu-ray Player the same way when you are done and want to go back to normal player functions.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks bob!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Why would you "not" be interested in letting your Oppo upsample your incoming cable box video to 1080p? That was one of the first things I was hoping I could do after buying my new Samsung tv and Oppo 105. Seems like the only way I can take advantage of Oppo's 1080p output, without much hardship, is playing a BD...until the lip sync/video issues get resolved.

Because I have a receiver that contains the QDEO chipset and does the job. It doesn't seem to have the bugs that the Oppo has right now. I also have a display that is pretty good at upscaling itself and before I had this receiver, I never had issues with the TV doing the upscaling. Finally, I don't view cable TV as a critical source. I am most interested in the quality of DVD and Blu-Ray play since the bulk of my viewing is these formats and not cable TV.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
Setting up my 105 later today - had a few questions if you can help me out ....

1) It probably doesn't matter, but if you skip the Picture Adjustment settings in the player does it default to a "bypass" of Picture Adjustment or the default, neutral values of each of the individual settings? From what I've read in the manual, there doesn't appear to be an explicit "off" or "bypass" available for Picture Adjustment so I'm curiuous what the 105 actually does.

2) I plan to hook-up both HDMI out for Blu-ray and the analogue stereo outs for music to the same AVR (a Pioneer Elite SC-57) - are there any special settings in the Audio Format Setup that I should make or pay particular attention to? I'm guesing that the SC-57 would be HDCD capable so I should select HDCD "off" in the 105?

3) if you skip the Audio Processing Setup settings in the player does it default to a "bypass" of Audio Processing or the default, neutral values of each of the individual settings for the analogue outs? Is there anything in those setting that cannot or should not be skipped? From what I've read in the manual, there doesn't appear to be an explicit "off" or "bypass" available for Audio Processing and I wonder what the 105 actually does.

4) Given my preferred hook-up described above, how should I set the Output Volume on the 105 - Variable or Fixed?

Thanks,
JD
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

No. I just ran optical out of the satellite box and all is good

is this a known fix? i have my STB into the oppo vis HDMI and had lip sych problems as well. I disconnected the oppo for a bit as its seems to be OK for now. If you use optical from STB into oppo, what do you do for video? Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
have other people had the Oppo lock up when trying to access external hard drives? I have 4TB WD that works great everywhere else but when I hook it up to the Oppo, it is easy to access it from music but when you go to movie, that is where you see it says WD My book and then locks up
accessing the music files is ok but it is the Video files
just now I had to turn the unit on and off 5 times before I got it working. This has happened several times already
other times, I go to music first and access a file from there, then press home and then go to movie and sometimes that works but this is not how it is supposed to work

I should be able to press movie from the Home screen and read the drive

when it locks up, you can't do anything, can't press any button on the remote, nothing
Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This was discussed recently in the BDP-103 forum. Basically, you need the latest firmware update to use a greater than 2TB hard drive. I suspect you don't have the latest firmware. Before you install that firmware though, read the firmware release notes to be sure it doesn't change something you don't want to change.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

is this a known fix? i have my STB into the oppo vis HDMI and had lip sych problems as well. I disconnected the oppo for a bit as its seems to be OK for now. If you use optical from STB into oppo, what do you do for video? Thanks

I run the hdmi from the stb to the oppo to the projector. I then run the optical out from the stb to my receiver, bypassing the oppo for audio but still using the oppo to upscale the video.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player