post #5581 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
MLM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

In general, Stereophile does not do feature reviews on multichannel equipment and JA's bench testing is restricted to products in feature reviews.   My column was created to cover such products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post
I am not a subscriber so I went to the web site to see what it takes to get a full review (with measurements) in the category: Hi-Rez Disc Player/Transport Reviews.
There, on the first page I found the following, each with a Thesaurus load of accolades describing their sonics:
Krell $12,000
Luxman $4,990
Ayre $9,950
Carey $6,500
Marantz $2,999.99
Playback Designs $15,000
dCS $17,999
dCS $32,999
Boulder $24,000

AFAIK, those are all 2-channel devices.

Actually, that's not exactly correct, and the policy therefore is not exactly neutral.
The Luxman is a multichannel analog out unit. The Ayre is an HDMI out multichannel unit.

But that's not even the point. As everyone around here knows, whatever else the Oppo may do it is used by many as a two channel unit and promoted by Oppo as specially designed and especially effective as a two channel unit featuring "Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors". It has been reviewed elsewhere as a two channel unit.

Notwithstanding our particular interest, the Oppo is an important factor on the STEREO market, probably a lot more so by any standard one would care to name than some of the kilobuck models listed. It's just too convenient IMO for Stereophile to consign Oppo to Kal's column and not have to compare measurements and sound in detail to the expensive boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Well schucks........doesn't that just beat all! A magazine called Stereophile devoted to all things 2 channel writing about all things ........... 2 channel. Who woulda ever thunk?!!! biggrin.gif

Well, it makes demographic sense but questionable semantics.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5583 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

All the more reason not to send audio from the 105 direct to a power amp. Sorry to hear about your tweeters....very unfortunate!!

I have my 105 hooked directly into my amp. It is a viable option. EVERY TIME I reset it to factory defaults, I forget to reduce the volume from 100. I have my speakers setup where they won't blow when played at 100.

If I was worried about my speakers blowing, I would put a fuse in the circuit. Definitely cheaper than the $1500.00 Pre/Pro I was looking at before I bought the 105.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #5584 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post

Actually, that's not exactly correct, and the policy therefore is not exactly neutral.
The Luxman is a multichannel analog out unit. The Ayre is an HDMI out multichannel unit.

But that's not even the point. As everyone around here knows, whatever else the Oppo may do it is used by many as a two channel unit and promoted by Oppo as specially designed and especially effective as a two channel unit featuring "Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors". It has been reviewed elsewhere as a two channel unit.

Notwithstanding our particular interest, the Oppo is an important factor on the STEREO market, probably a lot more so by any standard one would care to name than some of the kilobuck models listed. It's just too convenient IMO for Stereophile to consign Oppo to Kal's column and not have to compare measurements and sound in detail to the expensive boys.

You have a jaundiced view of how things work.  Nothing is "consigned" to my column.  I generally choose what I want to review in the column as well as what I review in a full feature (with the editor's approval and with full bench-test).    In the case of the Luxman, John Marks reviewed it as a stereo player and completely ignored the multichannel aspect.  In the case of the Ayre, Michael Fremer reviewed it as a stereo player and I reviewed it as a multichannel player.  There is no policy preventing a follow-up or full review of the Oppo as a stereo device.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5585 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought the Oppo BDP-105 and really want to take advantage of the analog outputs through my Yamaha RX-A3010. The problem is I'm not hearing any bass signal when I use the Oppo analog inputs. I can switch to HDMI1 input and its all there. My audio/theater setup uses separate mono-blocks and sat subs for bass. The other weird thing is it seems that the only sound i'm hearing is from the front speakers only even when playing a 7.1 sound track. I've already went into the speaker configuration of the Oppo and set the Sub trim to +10. I read on another link that this was necessary. It sounded strange, however at this point, I was willing to give it a try. I contacted Oppo and they said I just needed to set my front speakers to SMALL. I tried that and it still doesn't have any bass signal. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
post #5586 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Set the speakers to SMALL with the Subwoofer set to ON. You will hen also need to increase the Subwoofer Trim by at least 15dB in the player/subwoofer, player/receiver, or receiver/subwoofer.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5587 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Of course I would have liked an expounded review of the OPPO 105 from Kal. Kris Deering and Home theater magazine, a sister publication did a review of the same device. So, Just saying.
post #5588 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post

I just bought the Oppo BDP-105 and really want to take advantage of the analog outputs through my Yamaha RX-A3010. The problem is I'm not hearing any bass signal when I use the Oppo analog inputs. I can switch to HDMI1 input and its all there. My audio/theater setup uses separate mono-blocks and sat subs for bass. The other weird thing is it seems that the only sound i'm hearing is from the front speakers only even when playing a 7.1 sound track. I've already went into the speaker configuration of the Oppo and set the Sub trim to +10. I read on another link that this was necessary. It sounded strange, however at this point, I was willing to give it a try. I contacted Oppo and they said I just needed to set my front speakers to SMALL. I tried that and it still doesn't have any bass signal. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Try connecting the Oppo sub out directly to your Subwoofer. That should help you narrow the problem down to either the Oppo or the Yamaha. And I really don't see why it should matter if your speakers are set to Large or Small. That is a personal preference based on whether your speakers are full range or not. Either way the sub should be firing if your source material has a .1 channel.
lanping09 likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #5589 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

I connected the Sub output of the Oppo directly to my one of my powered subs and there was no bass still. It definately looks to be a problem with the OPPO.
post #5590 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post

While set to listen to the multi-channel analog feed into the Yamaha, and with no disc in the tray, use the player's built-in test tones to check that you are actually getting output on all the analog audio jacks, including the Subwoofer. Select the Test Tones item to enable the test tones and then Left/Right arrow to move around in the picture of the speakers. As you move around in that picture, you will see your current settings for each speaker/sub and should also hear the test tone.

When you get to the picture for the Subwoofer, double-check that it is set to ON.

If still no audio, double check your cabling for each channel to make sure you are using the output and input jacks you think you are using. Some receivers require you to turn off their digital audio to play multi-channel Analog audio, so check if that's true of your Yamaha.

(NOTE: The internal test tones drive the Analog outputs only. You will not hear them if set to listen to the HDMI Audio output of the OPPO.)

The Analog outputs of the OPPO are "line level", so when directly connected to your Subwoofer, make sure you are using its line level input. It may also have a higher voltage "speaker level" input, and that's not the one you want. Your subwoofer may also have a setting to automatically transition between normal operation and stand-by -- either sensing input volume or perhaps a trigger connection. For now, set your Subwoofer to be "always ON", instead, to make sure it really is out of stand-by.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #5591 of 11532 Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

The fix may be very simple! and restore more than just Netflix navigation and playback as it did for me, so here goes!

First let's assume you have installed the latest Official Firmware!

1.) write down all your settings

2.) Do a factory reset including Netflix and Hulu accounts ( important!)

3.) unplug the 105 or 103 for 5 min and plug back in.

4.) Enter your settings back to where you had them and access Netflix and stream some content and then exit out of Netflix using the return button on the remote!

5.) power down the 105 again from the remote!

6.) Your done! or at least should be biggrin.gif

I had the Netflix stability issues when I had the Beta and they continued when I installed the official, both of which I originally only defaulted back to the factory setting without deleting netflix and Hulu accounts, the described reset above seems to allow the all functions to to perform in sync with the newly installed firmware!

I'm happy to report my Netflix is stable and performs as expected:)

hope this helps

Did all of these steps and then after watching the first movie I pressed the "Home" button on the remote from the Netflix main/browse menu and the Oppo locked up. I've been having Netflix lock up problems since installing the new firmware. Any more ideas?
post #5592 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I have my 105 hooked directly into my amp. It is a viable option. EVERY TIME I reset it to factory defaults, I forget to reduce the volume from 100. I have my speakers setup where they won't blow when played at 100.

If I was worried about my speakers blowing, I would put a fuse in the circuit. Definitely cheaper than the $1500.00 Pre/Pro I was looking at before I bought the 105.
I did put attenuators between my Oppo and power amps, so 100 is a valid listening level for me - it is loud, but sometimes I listen on that level - organ sounds fabulas :-)
Oppo directly to amps could be made safe for your speakers and enjoyable.
post #5593 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Did all of these steps and then after watching the first movie I pressed the "Home" button on the remote from the Netflix main/browse menu and the Oppo locked up. I've been having Netflix lock up problems since installing the new firmware. Any more ideas?

After more than a couple of times of using Netflix it should be fine ! does the Netflix prompt you to chose between the regular and kids option like when you first got the player? And try only using the stop then return button , as this will bring up the exit Netflix screen asking you Do you want to exit, yes or no! this should bring up the home page after a couple of seconds on its own! How did you install the firmware?
post #5594 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

This is a known issue, but you should report your findings to Oppo support.
post #5595 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusoro View Post

Of course I would have liked an expounded review of the OPPO 105 from Kal. Kris Deering and Home theater magazine, a sister publication did a review of the same device. So, Just saying.

Good point.  The nub of many of these comments is that each person rightly wants a review to address his particular interests.  OTOH, each review/commentary addresses itself differently, depending on writer and venue.  In my column, I do "review" products but it is not a formal, full review (with measurements) so much as an ongoing commmentary on multichannel music reproduction and related issues.  Matters such as video performance (or stereo-only performance) are not on the table.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5596 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
MLM

Liked: 12
Quote:

You have a jaundiced view of how things work.  Nothing is "consigned" to my column.  I generally choose what I want to review in the column as well as what I review in a full feature (with the editor's approval and with full bench-test).    In the case of the Luxman, John Marks reviewed it as a stereo player and completely ignored the multichannel aspect.  In the case of the Ayre, Michael Fremer reviewed it as a stereo player and I reviewed it as a multichannel player.  There is no policy preventing
a follow-up or full review of the Oppo as a stereo device.
Quote:

Good point. The nub of many of these comments is that each person rightly wants a review to address his particular interests. OTOH, each review/commentary addresses itself differently, depending on writer and venue. In my column, I do "review" products but it is not a formal, full review (with measurements) so much as an ongoing commmentary on multichannel music reproduction and related issues. Matters such as video performance (or stereo-only performance) are not on the table.

This "jaundiced" correspondent would gladly have bowed out of this thread much earlier, but for the inconsistencies. First, what Kal wrote about the sound of the Oppo 105 (as opposed to its bells and whistles) hardly constituted a "review", not even a "not formal" review. But then there were no formal Stereophile reviews of multi-channel devices; then it turned out there were--of their stereo functions. Then there is nothing preventing a full review of the Oppo as a stereo device. And finally, matters such as . . . stereo-only performance . . are not in the cards--for you? for Steereophile? Even though there was a very brief stereo review by Kal of the 95, I'm not holding my breath.

No surprise here for the reasons originally put forward. In any event this is really a matter for Kal's editor.
post #5597 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

This "jaundiced" correspondent would gladly have bowed out of this thread much earlier, but for the inconsistencies. First, what Kal wrote about the sound of the Oppo 105 (as opposed to its bells and whistles) hardly constituted a "review", not even a "not formal" review. But then there were no formal Stereophile reviews of multi-channel devices; then it turned out there were--of their stereo functions. Then there is nothing preventing a full review of the Oppo as a stereo device. And finally, matters such as . . . stereo-only performance . . are not in the cards--for you? for Steereophile? Even though there was a very brief stereo review by Kal of the 95, I'm not holding my breath.

No surprise here for the reasons originally put forward. In any event this is really a matter for Kal's editor.
Just a thought, but if you aren't happy with Stereophile's review policies, a letter to their editor might be more productive than discussing it here... This thread is for Oppo BDP-105 discussion, not the review policies of various magazines wink.gif.
post #5598 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

I have seen cases where the BDP-105 takes a minute or two to return to the home screen or power off from Netflix.
As rdgrimes recommended, you should report the problem.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #5599 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM

I was sending audio to power amp via a separate preamp. Had the volume level up high and when the burst came on,right after the song ended. I couldn't get to the mute button in time. Going direct or via a preamp, it would have had the same outcome....I wasn't expecting that.
post #5600 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

The fix may be very simple! and restore more than just Netflix navigation and playback as it did for me, so here goes!

First let's assume you have installed the latest Official Firmware!

1.) write down all your settings

2.) Do a factory reset including Netflix and Hulu accounts ( important!)

3.) unplug the 105 or 103 for 5 min and plug back in.

4.) Enter your settings back to where you had them and access Netflix and stream some content and then exit out of Netflix using the return button on the remote!

5.) power down the 105 again from the remote!

6.) Your done! or at least should be biggrin.gif

I had the Netflix stability issues when I had the Beta and they continued when I installed the official, both of which I originally only defaulted back to the factory setting without deleting netflix and Hulu accounts, the described reset above seems to allow the all functions to to perform in sync with the newly installed firmware!

I'm happy to report my Netflix is stable and performs as expected:)

hope this helps

Once you delete the Netflix account, you will have to create a new one right?
post #5601 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramatam View Post

Once you delete the Netflix account, you will have to create a new one right?

NO! You'll have to reenter your Username and Password.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #5602 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ All you are doing is telling the player to discard your saved log-in credentials for Netflix, just as you would do before selling the player to someone else. Next time you start the Netflix app you'll have to re-enter your log-in credentials and the app will "re-activate" the player in your existing Netflix account. No need to create another account.
--Bob

post #5603 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:

This is a recent answer from Oppo ...I'm having the same problem as you....I'm also having freeze-ups when playing and navigating audio files stored on an external hard drive and connected to the 105 via USB.

For issues related to the player freezing up when playing files, try turning Gracenote Lookup to OFF (Network Setup) and set Caching to OFF (Device Setup).

For issues related to Netflix freezing, this can be a simple DNS issue.

Try power cycling your modem and router by removing their power cables for 5 minutes. Reconnect their power cables then try the player again another 5 minutes later.

Try upgrading the firmware on your router, as sometimes networking errors are due to out of date firmware.

Try using the USB extension cable that came with the player and move the WiFi dongle to a location where the reception is higher.

If you find that the player is still not being able to connect reliably to Netflix, then please try setting your IP Configuration (Network Setup) from AUTO (DHCP) to MANUAL. Change your DNS 1 to 008.008.008.008 then press ENTER. You will see 8.8.8.8. Highlight OK at the bottom then exit Setup. Try the network streaming services again.

If Netflix still fails to loader properly, then go into Device Setup then Netflix ESN. Select De-Activate Netflix.

Turn off the player and wait a minute. Turn the player back on. Select Netflix and see if the player will allow you to re-register the player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5604 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

Man-o-man that is f@#4king crap! That just makes me numb! Oppo has to get it together.

Seriously, that is insane I would really be going nuts! Did you have it plugged in direct to the amps or thought a pre/ pro?

My humble Cinema
post #5605 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The freezing up that I have been getting when hooking up my 4TB drive is when you are in Home and then press movie; at that point you see the drive but when you hit enter it can lock up
from Home, if I press music I can see the drive and the folders; never locked up from music mode; the lockups have all been after pressing movie

now when I connect the 4TB drive, I always go into music first and play an audio file for a few seconds , then stop and go into home, then movie and then I can get it work most times

if not that, then I have to turn the Oppo off and on again a few times to try to read the drive

I am hoping they come up with better firmware soon on this
post #5606 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If you have media info Caching turned on in Setup, try taking the drive to your computer, check for the presence of the OPPO media info cache folder and delete it. It will get re-created if you leave Caching turned on.

That folder contains cached Gracenote info to minimize network lookups as you are using those files. It's possible there is some garbage in there which is getting the player confused when it tries to decide whether it needs to go out to the network to find Gracenote info for your video files. When accessing the drive for music files, it wouldn't be looking at your video files, so that may explain what you are seeing.
--Bob

post #5607 of 11532 Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM

yes that is worth trying
post #5608 of 11532 Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 AM

they really need to come up with new firmware soon to fix the lockups. This is getting ridiculous
last night I had t turn the Oppo on and off 7 times before it started working right with my 4TB drive
It just kept on locking up and when that happens no buttons on the remote will work; you have no choice except to power it off

I have gracenote off, quick start off, cache off

this time I had it lock up twice even when pressing music; most of the time it will be on movie

I also briefly got it working on movie; only to play a file in 1 of my folders and then press stop to see the list and when I press play on another file, it locks

they also need to have the player show the name of the file when pressing info so you know what file you are playing. this is a common feature on Every other Media Player on the market; they don't need to show bitrate, avc, vc1, etc, the name of the file and the type of audio with the time is all you need on info

this is why I pressed stop to see the names of the files in the folder; if they showed the name in info then I could have hit next,etc and read it from info

I would like to know on this forum who else is using a 4TB External Drive; I have a feeling most are using a smaller drive
lanping09 likes this.
post #5609 of 11532 Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM

I think that we should all be sending in our findings of OPPO tech support. These are expensive players and these kind of quirks...we don't need. If enough of us do that then fixes could find their way into future Firmware fixes.

Some point to make and to answer a couple of questions. when I fried my tweeters from the white noise burst, I was connected to a preamp. Doesn't really matter if you are going direct or through a preamp....loud is loud and high levels of white or oink noise will take out a tweeter in a matter of seconds.

I get freeze-ups and noise bursts from my 1 TB USB hard drive. The Freeze ups are rather infrequent, happening only once in a while. Are you getting more freeze ups with the larger drive? I noticed the other night I did not get that with a 64GB thumb drive. Coincidence...beats me but there might be some significance there. The smaller the drive, the more infrequent the problems.

Finally, if I take the Hires files and create a DVD-A ....no noise bursts whatsoever. so it would start to point a finger at the Hard drive, USB interface.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5610 of 11532 Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM

I think that we should all be sending in our findings of OPPO tech support. These are expensive players and these kind of quirks...we don't need. If enough of us do that then fixes could find their way into future Firmware fixes.

Some point to make and to answer a couple of questions. when I fried my tweeters from the white noise burst, I was connected to a preamp. Doesn't really matter if you are going direct or through a preamp....loud is loud and high levels of white or oink noise will take out a tweeter in a matter of seconds.

I get freeze-ups and noise bursts from my 1 TB USB hard drive. The Freeze ups are rather infrequent, happening only once in a while. Are you getting more freeze ups with the larger drive? I noticed the other night I did not get that with a 64GB thumb drive. Coincidence...beats me but there might be some significance there. The smaller the drive, the more infrequent the problems.

Finally, if I take the Hires files and create a DVD-A ....no noise bursts whatsoever. so it would start to point a finger at the Hard drive, USB interface.
lanping09 likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page