18Likes

post #5851 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr@nz View Post

You are not the only one. See my post above, as I did many hours of testing and tried another new unit with the exact same results. The only option at this point is to exchange your unit for a new one and turn off the firmware upgrade option. Do not go to version 50-0422 or the beta ones. They all have the same issues except the lip-synch option has improved in the latest beta.
In my situation after the latest public beta upgrade (BDP10X-52-0522B, download only though), the chance for blackscreen/locks in Netflix playback has been significantly reduced. so definitely there is something more than the lip-sync correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Now we know smile.gif

Yes, I have been living with a Panasonic for the last two months I am looking forward to plugging the OPPO back in so I can listen to Multi Channel SACDs
post #5853 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Bought a silver one this morning smile.gif, that's why I returned the black one two months ago I was told it was coming smile.gif

Dude!!! insider information? No fairtongue.gif!!!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #5854 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Liked: 16
Today, I was doing a demo to a Phile and at the very end of the song my Phile hit stop button. We were talking for a couple minutes and when hit the play button again, no respone from my beloved 105. I tough maybe the battery of the remote was running out. I tried to manually hit the play button. No respone either. Now the player changed to Netflix mode and stayed in that mode no matter how mamy time I hit the home button. I gave up and powered it down. After restarted, everything went back to normal. What a embarrassment. I tried to duplicate the problem but nothing happen. Did anyone else ran into this situation before? FYI, we were listening to cd and there were only a 2 channel amp and preamp in the chain. No TV, no Hdmi.
post #5855 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
With no TV, odds are when you got back to Home Menu (due to pressing Stop) you accidentally selected the Netflix app from there. Presumably Netflix was already highlighted on Home before you started that CD. Why you couldn't exit Netflix after that is another question.

Had you previously logged in to Netflix? Does it know your login credentials? If not, you were likely stuck in its login screen.

The moral is, this player is not really designed for use without a Display.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5856 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Bob,
Agree, my Phile may hit the Netflix by mistake but not to be able to go back home is something weird. ( maybe I am not Netflix user and the app keep search for logg in info.) I do watch movie and do music streaming on my 105 regularly but at that time everything was turn off for pure 2 channel music listening. (We were only listening to my demo cd since the demo was about my speakers not the 105. That is why we put the TV out of the loop). Like I said, everything is fine now after a restart. I am unable to duplicate the problem. Cheer
post #5857 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Yeah, one more thing is after the restarted. My 105 started to play right where it was stop - right at the very end of the song about 10 second to the end of the song which was where it was stopped by my Phile. Weird isn't it.
post #5858 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Actually not weird at all. "Resume Play" and "Auto Play" are the default settings for audio discs. I.E., when you power up with the disc in the tray it will automatically start the disc and pick up from where you were last playing. You can change these in Setup if you would prefer.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5859 of 11280 Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 PM

^ thanks Bob. I always thought that "Resume play" will restart the song at the beginning. Well, now I know.
post #5860 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionuts View Post

Bob,
Agree, my Phile may hit the Netflix by mistake but not to be able to go back home is something weird. ( maybe I am not Netflix user and the app keep search for logg in info.) I do watch movie and do music streaming on my 105 regularly but at that time everything was turn off for pure 2 channel music listening. (We were only listening to my demo cd since the demo was about my speakers not the 105. That is why we put the TV out of the loop). Like I said, everything is fine now after a restart. I am unable to duplicate the problem. Cheer
FWIW, every once in a great while my 95 will lock up in a similar fashion though it has nothing to do with Netflix. It will just lock up and become unresponsive. And this anomaly occurs with the display on. As you mentioned, a simple reboot fixes it and like you described, it goes back to where it left off.

It happens so infrequently that I haven't bothered to look into getting it fixed as with most things electronic, if they can't duplicate the problem, then they probably won't know where to start. My "anomaly" occurs with all different forms of shiny disc media.

I just write it off to, as these machines become more comprehensively complicated, there's more room for malfunctions like this and as long as I am able to easily rectify the situation, I'm good.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #5861 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View PostDude!!! insider information? No fairtongue.gif!!!

I had to wait for two months :( and I had sold my beloved BDP-95 before learning about this!

post #5862 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's not "impossible" to perform DSP on DSD in the digital domain, it's just VERY uncommon and only a few high-end commercial systems can do it. How the ESS is doing it is open to speculation. Nevertheless there are recording studios where DSD is processed as DSD and not converted to anything else. On those rare releases where DSD processing is done you might see something like "DSD-DSD-DSD" listed in the liner notes. That indicates the recording was DSD, mastering was DSD and the release is DSD. I would guess that simple volume control on DSD is not as complicated as mastering in DSD. AFAIK, the ESS is the only DAC offering this.

I'm almost certain Sony was doing this and DSD bass management in their SCD-XA9000ES like a decade ago or however long ago that player came out and also on their second-gen Sonoma DSD workstations.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #5863 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

I'm almost certain Sony was doing this and DSD bass management in their SCD-XA9000ES like a decade ago or however long ago that player came out and also on their second-gen Sonoma DSD workstations.

Indeed they were, and it sounded great! The only reason I sold ours was because I couldn't tell the difference between them, so figured might as well get some cash and consolidate the rack.

I'm interested in what ESS says about their DACs. I thought the 95's DACs handled volume in DSD domain, but that seems like a misunderstanding.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #5864 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane10 View Post

Ok, I got a quick response from Oppo this time. Since I'm feeling even more curious about this now, I'll see if ESS will answer the second question.
There was a discussion about this on the following site a couple months back.....check it out..

ESS Dac volume control on DSD streams...
" Inside the Sabre DAC chip the DSD stream is processed at the DSD rate, but it is extending to have a 32 bit representation so that it can be scaled. This is NOT the same as converting to PCM as that implies decimation filtering. Inside the Sabre, all DSD data is processed in a PCM domain, however its PCM at 64*44.1kHz = 2.8224MHz. This data is then applied to the modulator."
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/resonessence-labs-invicta-move-over-weiss-dac202u-theres-new-king-town-12412/index6.html#post204568
post #5865 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM

So every time a movie ends on Netflix and I press "Stop" or "<-", the Oppo freezes and I can't get Netflix to reboot unless I physically unplug the power cord and wait a bit. This is getting to be a real PITA.
post #5866 of 11280 Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Liked: 15
I have a question... I can't seem to get my 105 to play SACD-DSD files from my MAC through Audirvana to the Async USB input. The 105 shows LPCM as the audio input. I have HDMI audio set to off. Does the DAC not accept a direct DSD signal? Or, is my MAC not sending DSD?
post #5867 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Does the DAC not accept a direct DSD signal?

It does not: Does the BDP-105 asynchronous USB input accept DSD?

-Bill
post #5868 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

So every time a movie ends on Netflix and I press "Stop" or "<-", the Oppo freezes and I can't get Netflix to reboot unless I physically unplug the power cord and wait a bit. This is getting to be a real PITA.
Mine also freezes after finishing a Netflix stream (the only issue I have with the player). But I just hit the power button on the remote, wait for it to shut down, hit the power button again on the remote, and I'm good to go. No need to unplug the unit for me..
post #5869 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Mine also freezes after finishing a Netflix stream (the only issue I have with the player). But I just hit the power button on the remote, wait for it to shut down, hit the power button again on the remote, and I'm good to go. No need to unplug the unit for me..

Correct. I have the same issue but I just power off and power back on with the remote. No need to unplug the power cord.

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD)
Oppo BDP-105
Marantz AV-8801
Marantz MM-7055
PS4
PS3 (Fatty SACD)
MartinLogan Theos
MartinLogan Stage
MartinLogan Montage
MartinLogan Descent-i
post #5870 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Liked: 18
Here is a write up from SoundStage,, http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/457-oppo-digital-bdp-105-blu-ray-player

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #5871 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

Here is a write up from SoundStage,, http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/457-oppo-digital-bdp-105-blu-ray-player

I get a kick out of such meaningless comments as this:"High-resolution audio discs sounded impeccable. Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms (SACD, Universal) had excellent pace and exhibited a pure, easygoing rhythm in 'So Far Away.'” I frequently see such comments from "hi-end" reviewers: What the hell does it even mean? Since digital is all zeros and ones, there's NO WAY that any player can impact the "pace" or "rhythm." Do these "experts" amuse themselves by writing such drivel?
TKO1 likes this.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #5872 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ And yet if he'd said it played at twice the expected speed and sounded bizarrely syncopated, everyone would take notice..... biggrin.gif
--Bob

post #5873 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post

Correct. I have the same issue but I just power off and power back on with the remote. No need to unplug the power cord.

I sometimes can get away with a power cycle with the remote but most times I can't get my Netflix connection re-established. It says "Can't connect right now, try again later". After doing this 2 or 3 times I finally have to resort to pulling the power cord for a couple of minutes.
post #5874 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post

I sometimes can get away with a power cycle with the remote but most times I can't get my Netflix connection re-established. It says "Can't connect right now, try again later". After doing this 2 or 3 times I finally have to resort to pulling the power cord for a couple of minutes.

When you shut down a wedged player via the Power Off Failsafe (press Power once on the Remote or Front Panel and wait for the Failsafe timer to do the shutdown -- about 10 seconds) the next boot is a full reboot, even if you have Quick Start set. In particular, that means that networking is starting up from scratch. If you go in and start Netflix as the very first thing after that Power UP, networking might not be going yet. You can check before you start Netflix by going into Setup and doing Network Setup > Connection Test. If it fails, just do it again as networking is still getting going.

If you find that you are having problems getting networking to connect at all after a full reboot (the same thing as specifying Energy Efficient in Setup > Device Setup), then there may be a problem in how you have your in-house network configured.

Pulling the power plug (not recommended as a way to shut down) and doing an Energy Efficient power cycle are basically the same thing as far as what happens on the next Power Up. Which says it is not the pulling of the power plug which is fixing things for you, but rather the amount of time you wait after pulling the plug. It is possible that your internet service really has lost the ability to connect to Netflix (temporarily). It happens.

In the US, this link will give you a picture, updated in real time, of whether widespread problem reports are coming in against Netflix. It shows the last 24 hours:

http://downrightnow.com/netflix

--Bob

post #5875 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Question regarding the available for $6 6 foot MHL Cable For Mobile Device (HDMI type A to Micro USB). Since I have the Rhapsody App in which I download a lot of music from (they claim they are High Resolution downloads, not so sure about that) to my Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone, will I be able to connect my phone with that cable to the MHL input on the front of the 105 and listen to the downloaded music thru my sound system? I would be connected to my Classe SSP-800 pre-pro with both the Balanced analog outputs and the HDMI outputs If I chose the balanced analog input on my pre-pro would I be using the 105's Sabre DACS or would I have to use the HDMI input on my pre-pro?
post #5876 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It does not: Does the BDP-105 asynchronous USB input accept DSD?

-Bill

Thanks, Bill. How can I play the DSD 2.0 and 5.1 tracks from a burned SACD? Through one of the HDMI inputs? Or, one of the USB inputs?
post #5877 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I have a question... I can't seem to get my 105 to play SACD-DSD files from my MAC through Audirvana to the Async USB input. The 105 shows LPCM as the audio input. I have HDMI audio set to off. Does the DAC not accept a direct DSD signal? Or, is my MAC not sending DSD?

Try using one of these routes:

1.  Directly attach the storage device to the front USB input.

2.  Use an ethernet connection to access the files via SMB.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5878 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Thanks, Kal. I've tried the front USB with no luck... I'm moving the files to my Time Machine right now to see if that works.
post #5879 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Kal. I've tried the front USB with no luck... I'm moving the files to my Time Machine right now to see if that works.

Too much staggering, and dropouts, via Time Machine. For some reason, the OPPO is not seeing my MacBook Pro (which is set to internet share). The MacBook is wireless, while the OPPO is connected via Ethernet, I don't think that would cause an issue, but I'm not sure.
post #5880 of 11280 Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Which firmware are you running? For DSD file playback from attached hard drives you need to be on at least the "Official" 0422 firmware. Find them on the hard drive via the Music icon on Home Menu. Better is the Public Beta 0522B firmware. Check the Main firmware version in Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page