post #6031 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by margolbe View Post

Oppo BDP-105 as a media file player.

I decided to try hooking up an external usb drive to directly to my oppo both to assess its sound quality via playing over a network.

................. Any suggestions, tips would be much appreciated.

Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^ Why on Earth would you want to play your audio files from a thumb drive when you icon.

Dan, note he said "hard drive" not "thumb drive". He may or may not be network-setup-savvy.

Margolbe:

I use a hard drive directly plugged into my 95 and am basically happy with this. BUT, I made sure when placing all my flac and movie files onto this hard drive that I set up a decent folder system EG First, top level folders for Music, Videos, Photograps. Then, inside the Music folder, Folders for each Genre. Then within each genre, folders by artist/composer, then folders for each album within each artist's folder. eg Music, Classical,Beethoven, all Beethoven albums, each in their own folder,...Mozart, Mozart albums each in their own folder,...., then back under Music, Pop, Beatles, all beatles albums (each in their own folder), etc. Then, instead of navigating (on the oppo) via album, or artist, or genre, I choose to navigate by folder (perhaps this option is not available on Oppo 105??? This means only 2 to 4 steps to get to the folder for any particular album of each artist/composer . Especially if you remember to use the Page Up/Page Down key on the Oppo remote.

I can access items on my PC via the Oppo's Network choice, but does not work so well for movies or ripped concert dvds (too slow, cos I haven't set up a network server system, only set a sharing system). Not savvy enough to set up a network server like jRiver, or some sort of NAS setup. (not savvy, or maybe just too lazy to put in the effort, but whatever.

I found setting up a 2 terrabyte or 3 terrabyte external hard drive and plugging it in directly to one of lhe Oppo USB ports was too easy and quick. Especially if you give prior thought to organising your directory setup, and, as I say, use the Folders option in the Oppo's Music or Videos main choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post

Yes it can! But lower pitch... I think half speed. There is very special/impressive sound, and sound stage... only an octave or so lower. It should be not so difficult for Oppo to fix the software so to be possible DSD128 be played normally... The hardware support even more than double DSD.

The Mytek Stereo 192 has the same DAC as that of Oppo (ESS Sabre 32-bit DAC) and with a recent firmware update it plays DSD128 file fine. I think Oppo can add the feature full-scale in a coming firmware if there are a lot of requests.
lanping09 likes this.
post #6033 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Liked: 10
Can someone tell me the fuse size for the Oppo 105. I want to change it to a hi fi tuning or synergistic Research fuse. There is no mention of fuse size or location in the manual.
Thanks
post #6034 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Have you tried putting the Oppo up on blocks? tongue.gif

Styln

lol I'm really thinking of returning my 105 and going back to the Sony 5400ES , problem is I would be giving up a bunch of features .

I prefer the sound of the 5400 over the 105 that's for sure

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
post #6035 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONGUY View Post

Can someone tell me the fuse size for the Oppo 105. I want to change it to a hi fi tuning or synergistic Research fuse. There is no mention of fuse size or location in the manual.
Thanks

The eternal story... HiFi fuses and HiFi main power cables... eek.gif
Seriously, this about HiFi fuse it may be a case when about some special power amplifiers out there, but definitely useless when about a switching power supply as in case of Oppo players. Also the so called HiFi fuse have completely nothing to improve for the analogue PSU in some Oppo players. There are many other important and very real improvements (stages/components) it can be done in this case, but these are not so easy done as changing a fuse inside the device...
I will frendly suggest to everybody, just forget about these HiFi fuses...smile.gif
post #6036 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post

The eternal story... HiFi fuses and HiFi main power cables... eek.gif
Seriously, this about HiFi fuse it may be a case when about some special power amplifiers out there, but definitely useless when about a switching power supply as in case of Oppo players. Also the so called HiFi fuse have completely nothing to improve for the analogue PSU in some Oppo players. There are many other important and very real improvements (stages/components) it can be done in this case, but these are not so easy done as changing a fuse inside the device...
I will frendly suggest to everybody, just forget about these HiFi fuses...smile.gif

More importantly, the fuse is the non-replaceable variety. it is soldered in place.

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #6037 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

lol I'm really thinking of returning my 105 and going back to the Sony 5400ES , problem is I would be giving up a bunch of features .I prefer the sound of the 5400 over the 105 that's for sure

Seriously, have you tried listening to 2L Blu Ray music Sony 5400Es can't touch that!
post #6038 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Seriously, have you tried listening to 2L Blu Ray music Sony 5400Es can't touch that!

I just ordered David-Gilmour-Remember-That-Night-Live-At-The-Royal-Albert-Hall-Blu-ray I will check it out

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
post #6039 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I just ordered David-Gilmour-Remember-That-Night-Live-At-The-Royal-Albert-Hall-Blu-ray I will check it out
As one who has that disc, let me pre-warn you not to get too enthused. The audio is just so-so but the video is some of the worst I've seen for a modern blu-ray release..........just terrible. I've seen many DVDs that look far superior to this offering from DG.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #6040 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what you need to get, then come back to us!

https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/84

Trondheimsolistene SOUVENIR Part I+II BLU-RAY

As the worlds first Auro-3D music production SOUVENIR was nominated for the 55th GRAMMY Awards as Best Engineered Album 2012

How do we listen to music? Indeed, how do we listen to anything? What we as listeners encounter here is sheer auditory bliss. TrondheimSolistene take a new step towards bridging the gap between themselves and their audience. It is not the gap between the live performance and the recording which they attempt to close. It is the gap between the recording and the living, ever open human ear.

"Through its dynamic co-operation TrondheimSolistene (the Trondheim Soloists) and 2L has always sort to stretch the boundaries of what is possible to convey to the listener, aiming for the ultimate recorded listening experience. With the Serenade the team has taken things one step further with the TrondheimSolistene truly justifying their name. By placing each individual next to someone from a different voice rather than sitting in conventional sections we are working at the very outer limits of what is possible and creating chamber music at the highest level" - Øyvind Gimse, 2012.

We allocated two weeks in 2011 to record this new album. Artistic director Øyvind Gimse and his associate Geir Inge Lotsberg initially chose two pieces that represent, in their estimation, "the most beautiful music ever composer for the string orchestra": Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence and his Serenade for Strings. Aiming for a 90 minutes program left 30 more minutes to record. So the orchestra and 2L logged on to Facebook and asked the listeners worldwide what they'd like to hear. And the audience responded: Nielsen's Suite Opus 1. A little gem that would exploit the Trondheim Soloists' singular way with Nordic repertoire.

Inspired by Morten Lindberg's extensive work with choral music, the Tchaikovsky's SERENADE was recorded with the ensemble placed in mixed voices, meaning no one is sitting beside anyone playing the same part, creating a totally new soundscape to the music. Carl Nielsen's SUITE opus 1 is recorded in a more "traditional" way in these sessions.

Pure Audio Blu-ray
STEREO 192kHz/24bit
5.1 SURROUND 192kHz/24bit
7.1 SURROUND 96kHz/24bit
9.1 Auro-3D 96kHz/24bit
Produced in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition 352kHz/24bit) by Lindberg Lyd, Norway

The Strad RECOMMENDS: "It's certainly an enveloping audio experience, and one that is justified by the sheer panache of the TrondheimSolistene's fiery playing in both familiar Tchaikovsky and the welcome airing of rarer Nielsen. The group's name might suggest competing egos, but these are of chamber music writ large - literally so in the bulked-up adaption of the Florentine sextet - and with the kind of unanimity of attack and unified expressive intent that belie the lack of a conductor." - Matthew Rye, The Strad Magazine.

TrondheimSolistene (The Trondheim Soloists) are regarded as one of the top chamber orchestras in the world. Their DIVERTIMENTI and FOLK STYLE were both nominated for a total of five American GRAMMY Awards in categories "Best Small Ensemble", "Best Engineered Album" and "Best Surround Sound Album". The music captured by 2L features Norwegian composers and performers, and an international repertoire reflected in the Nordic atmosphere. The surround sound recordings of Lindberg Lyd not only transforms the entire listening experience, more radically, these innovative recordings overturn some very basic concepts regarding how music is played and even composed. 2L emphasizes surround sound with Pure Audio Blu-ray and HiRes file distribution, and have garnered no less than 14 American GRAMMY nominations over the past six years.
post #6041 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

As one who has that disc, let me pre-warn you not to get too enthused. The audio is just so-so but the video is some of the worst I've seen for a modern blu-ray release..........just terrible. I've seen many DVDs that look far superior to this offering from DG.

Thanks for the warning

post #6042 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

This is what you need to get, then come back to us!

https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/84

Trondheimsolistene SOUVENIR Part I+II BLU-RAY

I purchased that based on your glowing recommendation a couple months ago. It is an excellent mix and presentation. Even though classical is not my preferred genre, this disc is very listenable.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #6043 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View PostI purchased that based on your glowing recommendation a couple months ago. It is an excellent mix and presentation. Even though classical is not my preferred genre, this disc is very listenable.

I am glad you liked it :)

post #6044 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

lol I'm really thinking of returning my 105 and going back to the Sony 5400ES , problem is I would be giving up a bunch of features .

I prefer the sound of the 5400 over the 105 that's for sure

Why not use both? I do. I prefer the sound of the 105 for careful listening, the 5400ES for casual listening.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #6045 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I currently have an OPPO 93. I recently connected a new HTPC to my HT 5.2 system. Currently I connect my OPPO & HTPC via HDMI to my pre-pro. I normally watch Blu-Ray discs with OPPO 93 and I listen to music and ripped movies with my HTPC.

I really did not think it would make a difference but I checked the difference between playing an mp3 and compared OPPO 93 vs HTPC. Since they are both using and HDMI, I really did not think it would make a difference... There is a big difference and I'm now wondering the possibilities of upgrading to a OPPO 103 or the 105 and wanted to get your thoughts.

My idea is to connect my HTPC to OPPO and play my ripped movies and either play local music files or stream music ( I use Spotify). In my current HTPC I don't use a dedicated sound card... I use HDMI output from an NVIDIA GTX 680 ( I use this HTPC for gaming too). Since I would like to get video & audio, I suppose going HDMI is the way to go to connect to OPPO ? Would I get better sound if I connected via USB for music ? I suppose I can use analog outputs from OPPO to my pre-pro too...

Any recommendations whether I should go for the 103 or the 105 ? Also, what is the best connection to get the best audio/video...

Or any other suggestions I may consider ?

Thanks in advance.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6046 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Hi,

I currently have an OPPO 93. I recently connected a new HTPC to my HT 5.2 system. Currently I connect my OPPO & HTPC via HDMI to my pre-pro. I normally watch Blu-Ray discs with OPPO 93 and I listen to music and ripped movies with my HTPC.

I really did not think it would make a difference but I checked the difference between playing an mp3 and compared OPPO 93 vs HTPC. Since they are both using and HDMI, I really did not think it would make a difference... There is a big difference and I'm now wondering the possibilities of upgrading to a OPPO 103 or the 105 and wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously, if your main music source is going to be MP3 format, I wouldn't spend your money on any hifi upgrade. Now if you were talking about playing original cds, SACDs, DVD-A's, or blu-ray music discs, or even copies of these ripped to flac or some other lossless format, i would be going Oppo 105. I would, except that I bought my 95 only a little over a year ago, and cannot justify the expense of replacing it so soon (although I am looking for an excuse! Like winning a lottery, ho ho.)

There will be others who will disagree with me here, but that's my take.
post #6047 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi,

My idea is to connect my HTPC to OPPO and play my ripped movies and either play local music files or stream music ( I use Spotify). In my current HTPC I don't use a dedicated sound card... I use HDMI output from an NVIDIA GTX 680 ( I use this HTPC for gaming too). Since I would like to get video & audio, I suppose going HDMI is the way to go to connect to OPPO ? Would I get better sound if I connected via USB for music ? I suppose I can use analog outputs from OPPO to my pre-pro too...

Any recommendations whether I should go for the 103 or the 105 ? Also, what is the best connection to get the best audio/video...

Thanks in advance.
The BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI. So unless you are going to use analog out sometime in the future there is no point to buying the much more expensive 105 ($700 more).

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #6048 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM

Playing an mp3 file was just me trying to do a apple vs apple comparison.... Although I have a few audio CD's and a hi rez album if really find myself streaming from Spotify more often.... A while back I attempted to compare audio quality from my audio CD's vs streaming and it wasn't night and day for me.... Hence I find myself streaming more often. But I also watch ripped blu ray movies too.

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6049 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Hi,

My idea is to connect my HTPC to OPPO and play my ripped movies and either play local music files or stream music ( I use Spotify).

I think you may be disappointed (depends how you ripped your movies) as the new firmware for the Oppo 103/105 can make your movies not playable. Something about new protection.
post #6050 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

The BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI. So unless you are going to use analog out sometime in the future there is no point to buying the much more expensive 105 ($700 more).

I suppose I can use analog to my pre-pro for audio and use HDMI for video but the question is.... Is there much difference for audio with HDMI vs Analogue

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6051 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky500 View Post

I think you may be disappointed (depends how you ripped your movies) as the new firmware for the Oppo 103/105 can make your movies not playable. Something about new protection.

I rip my movies to MKV & M2TS. I use DVDFab to rip my movies

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6052 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM

You may be alright on the MKV ones but this is from the firmware release

"The new decoder firmware supplied by our chip vendor tightens the validation check for the AVCHD file format. If the files in the BDMV folder do not fully comply with the AVCHD specification, the folder will not play. (For example, if the files are from a disc backup instead of an original AVCHD recording, the player will reject it.)"
post #6053 of 11917 Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

I suppose I can use analog to my pre-pro for audio and use HDMI for video but the question is.... Is there much difference for audio with HDMI vs Analogue
Audibly, there may not be a big difference...depends on your hearing abilities and what kind of dacs you have in your processor. Component-wise, using the analog outs in the Oppo means you're using the Oppo's audiophile Sabre dacs. When using hdmi out on the Oppo, you're bypassing the Oppo's dacs for conversion in your processor. No way would I buy a 105 and not use its dacs.
post #6054 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

..... No way would I buy a 105 and not use its dacs.

Absolutely. The only reason I bought the 95 instead of the 93. My only regret was buying the 95 before rumous of the 105 hit the market. Would have held off for the extrea connectivity. EG my 2 Terrabyte WD Elements Play media streamer - would have used the HDMI in on the Oppo 105 to play my ripped DVDs and Blu-rays, but would also have had the 105 reading the Elements play as a hard disc through a USB port for all my music. In all cases, sound from the Oppo to my NAD receiver would be via the Oppo analogue out.
post #6055 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Unless your PC is messing with the audio format, there shouldn't be a difference - especially not a big one. Make sure the PC isn't setup to convert 44.1khz to 48khz for example.

What's the rest of your system (speakers, AVR, etc.) consist of? You probably won't appreciate the benefit of the 105 over the 103 unless you've got pretty good gear hooked up to it.
post #6056 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Why not use both? I do. I prefer the sound of the 105 for careful listening, the 5400ES for casual listening.

db

Okay problem solved , I sold the 5400 biggrin.gif I figure I don't need both and the 105 has a ton of features which I use , I can use the funds from the 5400 and purchase a Turntable
which will give me more options for finding music

post #6057 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Unless your PC is messing with the audio format, there shouldn't be a difference - especially not a big one. Make sure the PC isn't setup to convert 44.1khz to 48khz for example.

What's the rest of your system (speakers, AVR, etc.) consist of? You probably won't appreciate the benefit of the 105 over the 103 unless you've got pretty good gear hooked up to it.

Not home now... but I believe in my Windows 8, I updated audio playback to 192khz... When I look at my pre-pro audio is upconverted.

My system is comprised the following:
Pre-Pro: Integra DHC-80.3
AMP - Emotiva XPA-5

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6058 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

This is what you need to get, then come back to us! https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/84 Trondheimsolistene SOUVENIR Part I+II BLU-RAY

As the worlds first Auro-3D music production SOUVENIR was nominated for the 55th GRAMMY Awards as Best Engineered Album 2012

Pure Audio Blu-ray
STEREO 192kHz/24bit
5.1 SURROUND 192kHz/24bit
7.1 SURROUND 96kHz/24bit
9.1 Auro-3D 96kHz/24bit
Produced in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition 352kHz/24bit) by Lindberg Lyd, Norway.

As the first consumer 9.1 Auro-3D decoders are still only rumored to be announced 'by the end of 2013', it is unfortunately not yet possible to make a realistic assessment of how good the 9.1 Auro-3D tracks from this Pure Audio Blu-ray disc will sound when played 'at home'. cool.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #6059 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM

FYI, I visited Toronto over the weekend and went to a store trutone dot ca

Without question, Sales guys are the biggest morons in history !

They had the Arcam Blu-Ray player there and I asked about Oppo and the idiot tells me the Arcam "walks all over it" and it has the best video, big difference,etc

of course that same Arcam did NOT play my disc, which plays on every other Blu-ray player that I tried including an NAD in that same store in another area

does anyone actually believe these sales idiots when they say anything? the chances of actually seeing a difference when playing a blu-ray in the Oppo or Arcam is super super slim

both will look and sound good; of course the Arcam will not even play many discs that the Oppo will; the Oppo has way more features and is also a full media player

I think this is good info to relay to the Oppo owners as well as people thinking about Oppo about what store people are saying since they don't sell the Oppo

It is laughable that he would say the video is much better, the Arcam uses the Wolfson DACS just like the Cambridge Player

The Industry is a joke; you can't go into any store and get even 1 true statement from these sales idiots

I was going to ask him if in a blind test, using 10 blu-ray clips and betting $100/clip whether he can pick out the Arcam vs the Oppo but then he left the room and I also went into a different area of the store to view a Panasonic Projector

of course the same sale idiot told me Panasonic projectors are much better than Epson, even though Epson makes the panels for Panasonic and both look very similar after adjustments

this proves again for 10 millionth time that Sales Guys are a JOKE !
post #6060 of 11917 Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

FYI, I visited Toronto over the weekend and went to a store trutone dot ca. ...... this proves again for 10 millionth time that Sales Guys are a JOKE !

Yes, it is a sad story, but don´t blame the employees - it´s the system that is wrong. For good advice, one needs to find a specialist store, but they are an endangered species, since many prospective customers who visit them go home and buy on the Internet or from a discount outlet.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page