post #6091 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

Space restrictions mean that moving my stereo system is not an option.

I am a total newcomer to XLR connections and balanced cabling. I had read some comments about XLR to RCA cable connections on the Chord UK website but just assumed they were balanced cables (as they didn't state otherwise). Having now read a little more on this topic, my current understanding is that you only get a balanced connection if it is supported by the electronics at both ends (which would not apply in my case as my stereo pre-amp only has normal RCA phono inputs). Chord's comments on XLR to RCA cable connections also caused me to assume that they sold such cables within their generally very expensive XLR range. This is not the case.

Are you of the opinion that it would be totally pointless to use the XLR outputs of the Oppo in my situation? I have been using a high quality 8m RCA to RCA cable between my AV amp and stereo pre-amp for many years without any obvious problem.

David

For more on this, see the BlueJeansCable article: A Question of Balance, particularly the final paragraph,

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View PostThanks for that. My Scottish upbringing means that I never like to spend money without a good reason! ...........

Good for you :)

post #6093 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

I understand that the shorter USB cable the better but what is the lenght not to exceed!

10, 15 feet?

post #6094 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased an Oppo 105 and have a setup/configuration question.

I plan to use the Oppo 105 for both 2 channel audio and video playback (the 105 is connected to both my plasma tv and also to my 2 channel audio setup). I've tested out the Blu-ray disc capability, the SACD capability and have connected a USB hard drive as well as a thumb drive to one of the USB inputs to play audio, video and still images. All good there.

I would like to be able to use a separate htpc (home theater pc) to drive the audio and video, as desired. Main reasons are usage of the Oppo 105's DAC for audio as well as the better GUI (graphical user interface) than with the hard drive/thumb drive to 105 USB input approach. I have an iPad and really like the idea of being able to control things with that.

I have been considering setting up a Mac Mini as a htpc to do this. But as an interim measure that is more a "proof of concept" I went ahead and started using an HP netbook I already had. So, I loaded up JRiver Media Center on that and the JRemote app on my iPad. Then I loaded up my music and some ripped Blu-Ray movies onto the netbook. And I got everything connected and talking to each other. All good so far.

But then it seemed that I was sorta mixing apple and oranges. To have the best 2 channel audio I needed to connect the HP netbook to the USB input on the back of the Oppo 105 in order to use the 105's DAC rather than the netbook's DAC. And since that connection only gave me audio, I also needed to connect the HP netbook to the Oppo 105 via one of the HDMI inputs in order to have video playback.

So here is my question (which seems kinda obvious to me now, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here): Is that the best/only way to connect these two devices yet still obtain the best of both audio and video?

My further question then is, assuming that is the best way to connect these two devices to achieve best playback of both types of content, does that mean I then have to reconfigure the audio settings in JRiver Media Center (to address the different forms of audio output being driven) every time I switch between these types of content?

I realize that I can simply use the HDMI connector for both audio and video. But that means not using the Oppo 105's DAC so that doesn't sound like a good solution.

And I realize that I can use a USB hard drive loaded up with my modest movie collection and connect that to one of the USB inputs on the Oppo 105. But that means not having the nicer GUI of the JRemote app on iPad so that also doesn't sound like as good of a solution.

So, am I missing something here? As stupid as that may make me feel, I'm hoping the answer is yes. Otherwise, I'll probably just dedicate the netbook to audio usage via the USB DAC connection on the Oppo 105 and run movies from a USB hard drive direct in to the Oppo 105.

Sorry for the long posting. Hope it made sense. And thanks in advance for any input/thoughts/advice others care to share.

-Randy
post #6095 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 167
^
Quote:
But then it seemed that I was sorta mixing apple and oranges. To have the best 2 channel audio I needed to connect the HP netbook to the USB input on the back of the Oppo 105 in order to use the 105's DAC rather than the netbook's DAC. And since that connection only gave me audio, I also needed to connect the HP netbook to the Oppo 105 via one of the HDMI inputs in order to have video playback.
You are mistaken here. You do not need to connect your htpc via usb on the 105 to use the 105's dac. Simply transmit your audio files (and your video files) on your htpc via your network connection. Aren't you doing that currently? You're transmitting a digital file to your Oppo unit via a wired or wireless network connection to be decoded by one of the Oppo's dacs?? Just set your JRiver software to not transcode your audio stream, and you will be fine.
post #6096 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^
You are mistaken here. You do not need to connect your htpc via usb on the 105 to use the 105's dac. Simply transmit your audio files (and your video files) on your htpc via your network connection. Aren't you doing that currently? You're transmitting a digital file to your Oppo unit via a wired or wireless network connection to be decoded by one of the Oppo's dacs?? Just set your JRiver software to not transcode your audio stream, and you will be fine.

Hmmm, that sounds reasonable. But I still feel like I'm missing something here. I mean, sure, I can send audio to the htpc via either a networked or hdmi connection to the Oppo 105 and play audio via that connection. But that bypasses the touted "asynchronous DAC" via USB connection. If bypassing that connection yields the same decoding operation (and presumably, sound quality) by the Oppo 105, then why does Oppo (and others) tout this asynchronous DAC feature?
post #6097 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I think that's your viewpoint. Touted? I have absolutely no regrets not ever using Oppo's asynchronous dac input. Not one! To me, it's a hassle....needing to keep my laptop close to my Oppo unit. That interface can't play dsd audio streams either. If you're sending your audio and video via network to the Oppo, you're not missing anything!! You get full Oppo digital-to-analog conversion!! Very few, if any, media players on the market today have the functionality to receive, via a network connection, audio or video. And what a delight it is!! I think Oppo's network interface is the "touted" interface of the player!!!
post #6098 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I understand that the shorter USB cable the better but what is the lenght not to exceed!

10, 15 feet?
The 105's user manual recommends "no longer than 13 feet (4m) to guarantee the optimal bus performance and the correct interface operations"
post #6099 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

^ I think that's your viewpoint. Touted? I have absolutely no regrets not ever using Oppo's asynchronous dac input. Not one! To me, it's a hassle....needing to keep my laptop close to my Oppo unit. That interface can't play dsd audio streams either. If you're sending your audio and video via network to the Oppo, you're not missing anything!! You get full Oppo digital-to-analog conversion!! Very few, if any, media players on the market today have the functionality to receive, via a network connection, audio or video. And what a delight it is!! I think Oppo's network interface is the "touted" interface of the player!!!

Thanks DanF8500.

Can you confirm one further detail for me? We've gone from talking about asynchronous USB & HDMI in to now talking about a networked connection. And yes, I understand (and appreciate!) the advantage of not having to locate a htpc close nearby. So what I presume you're doing, or at least suggesting I do, is use my HP netbook htpc running JRiver Media Center as a media server and the Oppo 105 as a media renderer. If that's correct, can you confirm that the bitrate/frequency/quality/conversion/etc. is the same as using the USB asynchronous DAC input for audio and using one of the HDMI inputs for video?

Thanks,
Randy
post #6100 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanping09 View Post

The 105's user manual recommends "no longer than 13 feet (4m) to guarantee the optimal bus performance and the correct interface operations"

13 feet, well that means I need to rearrange a few things smile.gif so it seems the shorter the better!
post #6101 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard View Post

Thanks DanF8500.

Can you confirm one further detail for me? We've gone from talking about asynchronous USB & HDMI in to now talking about a networked connection. And yes, I understand (and appreciate!) the advantage of not having to locate a htpc close nearby. So what I presume you're doing, or at least suggesting I do, is use my HP netbook htpc running JRiver Media Center as a media server and the Oppo 105 as a media renderer. If that's correct, can you confirm that the bitrate/frequency/quality/conversion/etc. is the same as using the USB asynchronous DAC input for audio and using one of the HDMI inputs for video?

Thanks,
Randy
You're welcome, Randy. There's no difference....all you have to do is to ensure that your JRiver software and JRemote are not transcoding your original audio files. Ensure they're passing the audio to the Oppo unprocessed(pass-through). For video, I don't even use hdmi. Network interface works fine!

Correction: I use JRiver/JRemote to send my videos to my plasma tv (dlna) via wireless network.
post #6102 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Hi Dan,
I am also not using the async USB input of the BDP-105 but your preference for network connectivity might not suit all users.

When you talk about "transmitting a digital file to your Oppo unit via a wired or wireless network connection", I assume you are referring to a DLNA connection. My own limited testing of DLNA with JRiver MC and the BDP-105 suggests that there is no way at present to display subtitles for a Blu-ray disk ripped to an MKV file (the subtitles are present and can be selected using the Oppo remote control but they do not appear on screen). That could be a problem if, like me, you are interested in opera recordings or foreign language films. I suspect there may also be other issues when using DLNA that are not present if you connect to the BDP-105 using HDMI (I currently do this with a 10m HDMI cable).

David
post #6103 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Dan,
I am also not using the async USB input of the BDP-105 but your preference for network connectivity might not suit all users.

When you talk about "transmitting a digital file to your Oppo unit via a wired or wireless network connection", I assume you are referring to a DLNA connection. My own limited testing of DLNA with JRiver MC and the BDP-105 suggests that there is no way at present to display subtitles for a Blu-ray disk ripped to an MKV file (the subtitles are present and can be selected using the Oppo remote control but they do not appear on screen). That could be a problem if, like me, you are interested in opera recordings or foreign language films. I suspect there may also be other issues when using DLNA that are not present if you connect to the BDP-105 using HDMI (I currently do this with a 10m HDMI cable).

David
Hello David. Yes, I'm sure there's other reasons where not using dlna is advantageous. You just described one of them. However, Randy was only concerned with audio quality via network, and he does not sacrifice any audio quality via this interface.
post #6104 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Hi Dan,

David

Embedded subtitle support in MKV should be the same over DLNA as on local storage. They problem is that Blu-ray native PGS/SUP subtitles are not supported either way.

There is a free utility BDSup2Sub that will convert PGS to hidef VOBSUB (the format used for DVD) and then embed those with mkvmerge, but of course that is extra work.

-Bill
post #6105 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
 But that bypasses the touted "asynchronous DAC" via USB connection. If bypassing that connection yields the same decoding operation (and presumably, sound quality) by the Oppo 105, then why does Oppo (and others) tout this asynchronous DAC feature?

I think you are misreading Oppo's statement which, unfortunately, is not worded precisely.  The input is an asynchronous USB input which permits access to their excellent DACs.  However, any of Oppo's digital inputs will also access the DACs.  In fact, it is impossible to get an analog output from the Oppo without using the DACs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6106 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I think you are misreading Oppo's statement which, unfortunately, is not worded precisely.  The input is an asynchronous USB input which permits access to their excellent DACs. However, any of Oppo's digital inputs will also access the DACs.  In fact, it is impossible to get an analog output from the Oppo without using the DACs.
The Golden Rule!

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #6107 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I think you are misreading Oppo's statement which, unfortunately, is not worded precisely.  The input is an asynchronous USB input which permits access to their excellent DACs.  However, any of Oppo's digital inputs will also access the DACs.  In fact, it is impossible to get an analog output from the Oppo without using the DACs.

Thanks Kal. Yes, of course you are right. And without intending to sound snarky, I certainly understand that a digital signal must first be converted to analog before it can be properly sent out across the analog RCA connectors to my audio system. I guess what I was presuming is that there was some sonic benefit to going in through the asynchronous USB DAC input (either because it's a more direct connection than coming in through other inputs/connections or because of the asynchronous operation itself or because of some other processing that's done or avoided - gee, I'm getting pretty general and vague there, aren't I...). I guess I'm still back to the question of wondering what the big deal is about the Oppo 105 having the asynchronoous DAC input if you get exactly the same benefits using HDMI or networked input signals. Any thoughts you can share there would be appreciated.
post #6108 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

^Randy, there's more than one way to fillet a fish (or skin a cat), right? smile.gif All these interfaces are just a means of getting the digital data to the dac.
post #6109 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I guess I'm still back to the question of wondering what the big deal is about the Oppo 105 having the asynchronoous DAC input if you get exactly the same benefits using HDMI or networked input signals. 

Actually, that is the only input that, so far, I have not used because it is limited to only 2 channels.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6110 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Actually, that is the only input that, so far, I have not used because it is limited to only 2 channels.

Yep, I'm more in this camp. The networking interface on Oppo products just gets better and better to where is it now my primary input method. There is no perfect interface, but using the Oppo as a DLNA render provides a very good user experience (finally) that will likely get even better over time. The NAS is on the other side of the house so there is no noise. And with ethernet, there is no need to sync the digital interfaces. DanF is right, and I've mentioned it many times: via the network interface the Oppo is, and has effectively been for years, an audiophile grade multi-channel DAC. What's new is that with good DLNA control point software, it's now a great user experience.

Styln
post #6111 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think it's limited to only 2 channels because the input is fed directly to the DACs unlike all the other inputs that gets processed before being fed to the DACs. Keep in mind that this input was to allow a PC or MAC to bypass its own DAC and use the BDP 105

GoldenEar Triton One's 2
GoldenEar Triton Two's 2
GoldenEar Super Center XL 1
GoldenEar SuperSat 3 2
GoldenEar ForceField 5 1
OPPO 105, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2
post #6112 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post

I think it's limited to only 2 channels because the input is fed directly to the DACs unlike all the other inputs that gets processed before being fed to the DACs. Keep in mind that this input was to allow a PC or MAC to bypass its own DAC and use the BDP 105

Yeah, I think it was this sort of explanation that had me thinking I needed to use the asynchronous USB DAC input to get the best 2 channel audio output for the Oppo 105. I guess I assumed that the "getting processed before being fed to the DACs" was what I should avoid for 2 channel audio. Very glad to learn that I don't need to be concerned about that and can, instead, simply use whatever input/connection best serves my needs. Thanks everyone for setting me straight.
post #6113 of 11675 Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 899
^ The Asynchronous USB DAC Input is used to replace the stereo sound card in a computer. You would use it when you want to play the stereo audio on the computer -- using software ON THE COMPUTER to select and process the audio files -- and have the OPPO 105 act as its sound output. I.e., instead of buying an "external DAC" for that purpose. The computer is rendering the audio files into stereo LPCM and the OPPO is doing the conversion to Analog for output to the amp. Why not use, say, an HDMI connection from the computer? Well perhaps your computer doesn't have HDMI output, or perhaps its HDMI output is tied up in some other use.

And some folks mistrust HDMI and believe Asynchronous USB will give a cleaner transfer of the bits. It may be as simple as you don't want to have to deal with the inevitable "handshakes" each time the format changes on the HDMI connection. Or perhaps you want to be able to use the video of the computer for some OTHER purpose -- maybe actually using it as a computer -- while the audio is still playing in the background.

The implementation of the Asynchronous USB DAC Input is such that audio played that way is UNPROCESSED in the OPPO. The signal goes DIRECT to the DACS and is converted to stereo Analog output without going through Crossover processing or speaker distance adjustments, or etc. This is not necessarily "better". Some folks NEED the OPPO to do Crossover processing for example, and so the Asynchronous DAC Input is not much use to them. The reason it was implemented this way is simply a result of the hardware available. That Asynchronous DAC Input is fed into the DACs via a different hardware path than other digital audio.

Basically it gives you another way to hook things up, and you can experiment and see which you like better.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6114 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Embedded subtitle support in MKV should be the same over DLNA as on local storage. They problem is that Blu-ray native PGS/SUP subtitles are not supported either way.

There is a free utility BDSup2Sub that will convert PGS to hidef VOBSUB (the format used for DVD) and then embed those with mkvmerge, but of course that is extra work.

-Bill

Thanks for that info. I will give BDSup2Sub a try as soon as possible.

However, I don't quite understand your comment that "Embedded subtitle support in MKV should be the same over DLNA as on local storage. The problem is that Blu-ray native PGS/SUP subtitles are not supported either way". I have no problems with Blu-ray subtitles when playing an MKV file on my PC. As far as I can see, it is only a DLNA issue.

David
post #6115 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thanks for that info. I will give BDSup2Sub a try as soon as possible.

However, I don't quite understand your comment that "Embedded subtitle support in MKV should be the same over DLNA as on local storage. The problem is that Blu-ray native PGS/SUP subtitles are not supported either way". I have no problems with Blu-ray subtitles when playing an MKV file on my PC. As far as I can see, it is only a DLNA issue.

David

I meant: PGS/SUP in MKV is not supported by the OPPO at all. DLNA, SMB, local storage on USB drive or optical disc: all the same in this regard.

Other devices and software may be different. It works with "vlc", for example.

-Bill
post #6116 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:

I meant: PGS/SUP in MKV is not supported by the OPPO at all. DLNA, SMB, local storage on USB drive or optical disc: all the same in this regard.

Other devices and software may be different. It works with "vlc", for example.

-Bill

OK, now I understand what you were originally trying to tell me but your 'vlc' comment needs some clarification.

By 'vlc', do you mean the VLC media player? If so, are you suggesting that if I had another DLNA rendering device (i.e. not the Oppo) then I would have a better chance of PGS/SUB working if I used VLC as the DLNA server rather than JRiver MC?

David
post #6117 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

OK, now I understand what you were originally trying to tell me but your 'vlc' comment needs some clarification.

By 'vlc', do you mean the VLC media player? If so, are you suggesting that if I had another DLNA rendering device (i.e. not the Oppo) then I would have a better chance of PGS/SUB working if I used VLC as the DLNA server rather than JRiver MC?

David

I've only run vlc standalone on a PC; I've never tried it's streaming functions and I don't know what is possible when viewing on other devices NOT OPPO.

I was using vlc as an example to show that PGS/SUP in MKV is a legitimate combination even though OPPO doesn't support it.

-Bill
post #6118 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:

I've only run vlc standalone on a PC; I've never tried it's streaming functions and I don't know what is possible when viewing on other devices NOT OPPO.

I was using vlc as an example to show that PGS/SUP in MKV is a legitimate combination even though OPPO doesn't support it.

-Bill

In that case, VLC is just behaving in the same way as JRiverMC on my PC. The fact that the Oppo remote control can make PGS/SUB subtitle selections from an MKV file (even though they are not displayed) also suggests that the limitation lies with the Oppo, not the MKV configuration. However, there is so much to like about the BDP-105 that I'm happy to live with this problem if BDSup2Sub provides an acceptable workaround.

I had never heard of VLC before so thanks for highlighting its existence. That's yet another bit of software for me to check out. However, it will have to be very good to beat what I currently get from JRiver Media Center.

Do you think it likely that the Oppo's PGS/SUB problem might eventually be fixed by a firmware update?

David
post #6119 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Do you think it likely that the Oppo's PGS/SUB problem might eventually be fixed by a firmware update?

David

I've requested it but don't know how likely it is. Support for this probably comes from Mediatek and you never know what they will find worthy.

Still, we always hope: hidef VOBSUB was not working in the initial firmware but appeared later, and UTF8 encoded external text subtitles began working recently. Neither has been mentioned in release notes so we should consider both features experimental.

-Bill
post #6120 of 11675 Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.php

eek.gif

I hooked my Oppo 105 up direct - Amp and Im just wondering what I need the AV8801 it seems like the 105 does everything I need .I was thinking of getting the 105 mod
from modright

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page