Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #6121 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
UPDATE: Both video and sound is back using OPPO hdmi-in and hdmi2 out to my Sony avr and to projector.

Good news is: I connected my old HD-DVD player hdmi to OPPO hdmi-in and OPPO hdmi2 out to my Sony avr and out to my projector.

I can now watch all my HD-DVD movie collection thru my OPPO 103,105. The HD-DVD video processed thru the OPPO Q processor is excellent. (blu-ray quality).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Posthttp://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.phpeek.gif

I hooked my Oppo 105 up direct - Amp and Im just wondering what I need the AV8801 it seems like the 105 does everything I need .I was thinking of getting the 105 mod from modright

If you don't use EQ then the Oppo is all you need if you have enough connection, I need XLR connection as my main channel amps are 25 feet away from my SSP-800 and Oppo

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6123 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Bob, for the further explanation of the asynchronous USB DAC input versus the other input options.
post #6124 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

There is a free utility BDSup2Sub that will convert PGS to hidef VOBSUB (the format used for DVD) and then embed those with mkvmerge, but of course that is extra work.

-Bill

Hi Bill,
I've just downloaded BDSup2Sub but it is clearly aimed at people who are much more conversant with video technology than I am. This forum is clearly not the place for a detailed discussion on the use of BDSup2Sub but I would appreciate it if you would just nudge me in the right direction (I'm assuming you have actually made use of this software).

At present my only sources are either an original Blu-ray disk or my MKV version. I have just looked at one of my Blu-rays using Windows Explorer and the primary video information appears to be contained in a series of .m2ts files (though there lots of other smaller files scattered over a range of folders). My confusion with BDSup2Sub stems from the fact that it only appears to load .idx, .sup, .ifo, .xml or .sub files, none of which I seem to have available.

I suspect that before using BDSup2Sub I will first need to use some other utility software to extract the subtitles from the .m2ts files or from the .mkv file (the latter would probably be more convenient, as I have already selected my required subtitles). If so, can you recommend any specific tool for this purpose?

David
post #6125 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

If you don't use EQ then the Oppo is all you need if you have enough connection, I need XLR connection as my main channel amps are 25 feet away from my SSP-800 and Oppo

Im having an issue maybe this idea wont work , when I play the test tone " speakers config " front left rear left and center all go to the left speaker and my rear right goes to my front right . I get no tones out of the surrounds and the center

Is this because Im using the analog outs for the L& R and RCA for the center and surrounds ?

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #6126 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Im having an issue maybe this idea wont work , when I play the test tone " speakers config " front left rear left and center all go to the left speaker and my rear right goes to my front right . I get no tones out of the surrounds and the center

Is this because Im using the analog outs for the L& R and RCA for the center and surrounds ?

Yes. You need to set Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. That will configure the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) for use in place of the normal LF/RF RCA outputs from the multi-channel Analog set. Also, in the analog Speaker Configuration settings, make sure your Down-mix is set to 5.1 or 7.1 (according to the speakers installed) and that all the speaker channels are enabled (none of them set to OFF).

Basically what you are hearing is the result of a "stereo" down-mix, which is probably not what you want. (Center is likely also coming out of Right Front.)
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6127 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

I suspect that before using BDSup2Sub I will first need to use some other utility software to extract the subtitles from the .m2ts files or from the .mkv file (the latter would probably be more convenient, as I have already selected my required subtitles). If so, can you recommend any specific tool for this purpose?

David

You are correct. I'll post a little guide later today in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336046/ripping-blu-rays-ii

Until then, look at a utility called tsMuxeR which has a demux mode for splitting out components from Blu-ray structures.

Or, if your subtitles are already in MKV, I expect mkvextract (part of the package that includes mkvmerge) will copy them out.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6128 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. You need to set Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. That will configure the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) for use in place of the normal LF/RF RCA outputs from the multi-channel Analog set. Also, in the analog Speaker Configuration settings, make sure your Down-mix is set to 5.1 or 7.1 (according to the speakers installed) and that all the speaker channels are enabled (none of them set to OFF).

Basically what you are hearing is the result of a "stereo" down-mix, which is probably not what you want. (Center is likely also coming out of Right Front.)
--Bob

Awesome works perfect Audio button Stereo/5.1 Next question any way to get a decent test tone that is not controlled by the volume ?

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #6129 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Awesome works perfect Audio button Stereo/5.1 Next question any way to get a decent test tone that is not controlled by the volume ?
You should be aware of the Test Tone bug:

Sent to OPPO May 17, 2013
Note: On my 105 there is a glitch concerning the Speaker Configuration Test Tone in the Audio Processing section of the Setup Menu. I am using the 5.1 downmix.

Sometimes when selecting either the Surround Left or Surround Right the Test Tone plays from the corresponding Front speaker at the same time it is playing from the Surround speaker. If I turn off the 105 and go back to play the Test Tone the issue does not occur. If I select HDMI - Back (my cable box is connected) as my input and then go back to Home Menu and play the Test Tone the issue reappears.

OPPO Reply:
We have confirmed similar issues and will be working on having them fixed through a future firmware release.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #6130 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ This is due to the Stereo Signal setting getting confused. Toggle it to DOWN-MIXED STEREO and back to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT to cure this.
--Bob

post #6131 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You are correct. I'll post a little guide later today in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336046/ripping-blu-rays-ii

Until then, look at a utility called tsMuxeR which has a demux mode for splitting out components from Blu-ray structures.

Or, if your subtitles are already in MKV, I expect mkvextract (part of the package that includes mkvmerge) will copy them out.

-Bill

I used MKVExtract to obtain an IDX file from one of my MKV files and then used MKVMerge to combine this IDX with the original MKV file. I used the default settings for both procedures.The resultant new MKV plays fine within JRiverMC. I can select either the original PGS subtitles or the new VobSub titles and they both look the same. However, when I play this new MKV on the Oppo via DLNA the VobSub subtitles are in green rather than white and the text is rather blurred and indistinct.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

David
post #6132 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

I used MKVExtract to obtain an IDX file from one of my MKV files and then used MKVMerge to combine this IDX with the original MKV file. I used the default settings for both procedures.The resultant new MKV plays fine within JRiverMC. I can select either the original PGS subtitles or the new VobSub titles and they both look the same. However, when I play this new MKV on the Oppo via DLNA the VobSub subtitles are in green rather than white and the text is rather blurred and indistinct.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

David

I've seen that once, but it is not the usual case. So no, I don't know what is happening.

I always use tsMuxeR to extract the subtitle file directly from the BR backup; start at BDMV/PLAYLIST/somefile.mpls. You might try that as an experiment and see what happens.

I would suggest the BR ripping thread for further discussions of this.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6133 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:

^ This is due to the Stereo Signal setting getting confused. Toggle it to DOWN-MIXED STEREO and back to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT to cure this.
--Bob
With all due respect that is a temporary fix. The issue will keep arising. The only cure is when OPPO provides the firmware upgrade.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #6134 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Quite correct. It is a "workaround" for when the problem arises. Note that the bug doesn't just screw up the test tones. It also screws up real content audio played on the multi-channel Analog outputs.

I've been pushing for this bug fix seems like forever. There must be something particularly tricky going on here that blocks an easy fix.

Personally, I'm now in the habit of toggling that Stereo Signal setting each time I start something new. Even if I'm not planning on using the multi-channel Analog outs. It's faster to just do that instead of checking whether it NEEDS to be done.
--Bob

post #6135 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:

^ Quite correct. It is a "workaround" for when the problem arises. Note that the bug doesn't just screw up the test tones. It also screws up real content audio played on the multi-channel Analog outputs.

I've been pushing for this bug fix seems like forever. There must be something particularly tricky going on here that blocks an easy fix.

Personally, I'm now in the habit of toggling that Stereo Signal setting each time I start something new. Even if I'm not planning on using the multi-channel Analog outs. It's faster to just do that instead of checking whether it NEEDS to be done.
--Bob
Exactly. And you might be listening to something and not realize the issue is going on because all the speakers are still "working" but in reality the surround field is messed up. This is a nasty and serious problem. I think every 105 owner can create an impact on OPPO by emailing them with your own concerns about this issue.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #6136 of 11531 Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

^ The Asynchronous USB DAC Input is used to replace the stereo sound card in a computer. You would use it when you want to play the stereo audio on the computer -- using software ON THE COMPUTER to select and process the audio files -- and have the OPPO 105 act as its sound output. I.e., instead of buying an "external DAC" for that purpose. The computer is rendering the audio files into stereo LPCM and the OPPO is doing the conversion to Analog for output to the amp. Why not use, say, an HDMI connection from the computer? Well perhaps your computer doesn't have HDMI output, or perhaps its HDMI output is tied up in some other use.

And some folks mistrust HDMI and believe Asynchronous USB will give a cleaner transfer of the bits. It may be as simple as you don't want to have to deal with the inevitable "handshakes" each time the format changes on the HDMI connection. Or perhaps you want to be able to use the video of the computer for some OTHER purpose -- maybe actually using it as a computer -- while the audio is still playing in the background.

The implementation of the Asynchronous USB DAC Input is such that audio played that way is UNPROCESSED in the OPPO. The signal goes DIRECT to the DACS and is converted to stereo Analog output without going through Crossover processing or speaker distance adjustments, or etc. This is not necessarily "better". Some folks NEED the OPPO to do Crossover processing for example, and so the Asynchronous DAC Input is not much use to them. The reason it was implemented this way is simply a result of the hardware available. That Asynchronous DAC Input is fed into the DACs via a different hardware path than other digital audio.

Basically it gives you another way to hook things up, and you can experiment and see which you like better.
--Bob

Absolutely - many different ways to use this system. Will simply add that audio processing can be easily bypassed. For example, set all your speakers to large and no cross-over processing is performed. Set all your trim settings to 0.0 and distance processing is avoided. Etc...

Styln
post #6137 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

--Bob

Bob,

but if the user has the setting at downmix 5.1 wouldn't you toggle it to down-mix stereo and then back to 5.1?

Cheers.

Tony
post #6138 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

Quote:

--Bob
Exactly. And you might be listening to something and not realize the issue is going on because all the speakers are still "working" but in reality the surround field is messed up. This is a nasty and serious problem. I think every 105 owner can create an impact on OPPO by emailing them with your own concerns about this issue.

If you don't want to have to worry about this, then don't use the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs (RCA pair or XLR pair) as part of your multi-channel Analog audio cabling. I.e., just use the regular multi-channel Analog RCA jacks for Left Front and Right Front.

This bug can only strike if you are using the Dedicated L/R in lieu of the normal, multi-channel LF/RF while playing multi-channel content. I.e,. with Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT set.

I've gotten used to toggling Stereo Signal, so I continue to use the Dedicated L/R in lieu of the multi-channel LF/RF. But if you'd rather not worry about that while waiting for a proper fix from OPPO, then just use the normal, multi-channel LF/RF outputs.

So far, I'm aware of two ways of triggering this bug (i.e, requiring you to toggle the Stereo Signal setting as a workaround -- a temporary fix). One is the item you found about selecting the rear HDMI Input.

The other is a strange combination of playing multi-channel tracks followed by playing stereo tracks from the Internet apps. E.g., DD+ 7.1 from VUDU followed by LPCM 2.0 from Pandora.

There may be other ways, but those are the only two I know of.
--Bob
Process53 likes this.

post #6139 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Quote:

--Bob

Bob,

but if the user has the setting at downmix 5.1 wouldn't you toggle it to down-mix stereo and then back to 5.1?

Cheers.

Tony

I don't believe the problem arises the other way -- i.e., a setting of Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO being mistakenly executed as if the setting was FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. So if you use DOWN-MIXED STEREO, I *THINK* you don't have anything to worry about. But if you spot a problem, then yes, toggle Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and then back to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

Please read carefully here. The setting we are talking about is Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal, which configures the function of the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs. The bug, when it arises, is that the opposite choice is used rather than the one you've set in Setup.

There is a SEPARATE setting -- Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration > Down Mix -- which is not involved in this. You don't have to toggle that one to deal with this.

To see if the Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT setting is currently malfunctioning, the easiest test is to go into the built in test tones (Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration) and play a test tone for any Surround speaker. If that test tone is ALSO coming out of the FRONT speaker on the same side then the bug is active. Toggle the Stereo Signal setting to fix that (temporarily).
--Bob

post #6140 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

This bug can only strike if you are using the Dedicated L/R in lieu of the normal, multi-channel LF/RF while playing multi-channel content. I.e,. with Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT set.

I've gotten used to toggling Stereo Signal, so I continue to use the Dedicated L/R in lieu of the multi-channel LF/RF. But if you'd rather not worry about that while waiting for a proper fix from OPPO, then just use the normal, multi-channel LF/RF outputs.

So far, I'm aware of two ways of triggering this bug (i.e, requiring you to toggle the Stereo Signal setting as a workaround -- a temporary fix). One is the item you found about selecting the rear HDMI Input.

The other is a strange combination of playing multi-channel tracks followed by playing stereo tracks from the Internet apps. E.g., DD+ 7.1 from VUDU followed by LPCM 2.0 from Pandora.

There may be other ways, but those are the only two I know of.
--Bob

I have found the DOWN-MIX bug is triggered by selecting the USB Input.
It is corrected after cycling the power so I just turn the player off after listening to music or any function before playing movies.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #6141 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I believe power cycling the player will only "fix" it if you are set to use Energy Efficient power cycles.
--Bob

post #6142 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

I don't believe the problem arises the other way -- i.e., a setting of Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO being mistakenly executed as if the setting was FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. So if you use DOWN-MIXED STEREO, I *THINK* you don't have anything to worry about. But if you spot a problem, then yes, toggle Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and then back to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

Please read carefully here. The setting we are talking about is Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal, which configures the function of the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs. The bug, when it arises, is that the opposite choice is used rather than the one you've set in Setup.

There is a SEPARATE setting -- Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration > Down Mix -- which is not involved in this. You don't have to toggle that one to deal with this.

To see if the Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT setting is currently malfunctioning, the easiest test is to go into the built in test tones (Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration) and play a test tone for any Surround speaker. If that test tone is ALSO coming out of the FRONT speaker on the same side then the bug is active. Toggle the Stereo Signal setting to fix that (temporarily).
--Bob

Got it, thanks. The problem here though is that this is where the test tones are found (in the speaker configuration and not in the audio processing).

Cheers.
post #6143 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View PostGot it, thanks. The problem here though is that this is where the test tones are found (in the speaker configuration and not in the audio processing). Cheers.

Opoo is working on it

So the best is to use Multichannel analog for SACD MultiChannels and XLR just for Stereo :) yes!

My humble Cinema
post #6144 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I understand that the shorter USB cable the better but what is the lenght not to exceed!

10, 15 feet?

12' did not work for me from an iMac
post #6145 of 11531 Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Hi, guys. I've read some of the pages on this forum, searched here and on the internet and I still need help.

I just got a 105 and have set it up. I have good internet connection through either an ethernet cable or through the wi-fi. But I cannot stream anything from the Mac Mini I have in the other room. The 105 sees the Mac (and the Time Machine), lets me select music, then asks me for a username and a password. I can never seem to get past this stage. I've used every permutation of my computer/network username. My Marantz pre-pro works with Airplay (sometimes) and I stream music with an Apple TV all the time (the password it uses is the same as my computer pw, but no luck on the Oppo).

I guess I'm asking if it's a matter or not having the right username/pw or do I need some other software? I have iTunes on my Mac Mini and that's pretty much it (except for Pure Music).

Thanks!
post #6146 of 11531 Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Is there any way to set a fixed volume level on the oppo on every startup.

This helps if we are using a direct connection of Oppo to an Amp. If the last volume level was pretty high then it could damage the speakers.
post #6147 of 11531 Old 06-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanikp View Post

This helps if we are using a direct connection of Oppo to an Amp. If the last volume level was pretty high then it could damage the speakers.

Not in the current firmware.
--Bob

post #6148 of 11531 Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any way to set a fixed volume level on the oppo on every startup. This helps if we are using a direct connection of Oppo to an Amp. If the last volume level was pretty high then it could damage the speakers.

Good idea, send an email to OPPO

My humble Cinema
post #6149 of 11531 Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRDnhorns View Post

12' did not work for me from an iMac

You might try a powered USB cable, I have one that I have used from my PC to the 105.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U026-016-Extension-Repeater/dp/B0002D6QJO/ref=sr_1_1/178-3256746-3727920?ie=UTF8&qid=1372522941&sr=8-1&keywords=powered+usb+cable

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #6150 of 11531 Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

I run into the same problem. 70 or 80 to watch DVD's or Blu-rays. TV at 50. Play a CD and get my ears blasted. I have set the trim levels of my speakers low so I don't blow them. Specially after a Factory Reset.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page