Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #6151 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I decided to send back my 105 and get a 103 , I use to own a Wyred Dac 2 and sold to a friend , last night he brought it offer and what a difference . I'm looking at the new Wyred Dac SE.

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Please Help with Blu Ray audio problem. I'm listening to the Stones GRRR!. The disc gives me a choice of 2.0 PCM 24bit/96khz or 2.0 DTS-HD master Audio 24bit/96khz or 2.0 Dolby Truehd 24-bit /96khz. However i can only get audio from 2.0 PCM 24bit/96khz. When changing the setting i see the choice displayed on the Oppo display , and the disc spinning but no audio. Is there a setting i need to change? Thanks
post #6153 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Please Help with Blu Ray audio problem. I'm listening to the Stones GRRR!. The disc gives me a choice of 2.0 PCM 24bit/96khz or 2.0 DTS-HD master Audio 24bit/96khz or 2.0 Dolby Truehd 24-bit /96khz. However i can only get audio from 2.0 PCM 24bit/96khz. When changing the setting i see the choice displayed on the Oppo display , and the disc spinning but no audio. Is there a setting i need to change? Thanks

Hmm, I have that disc, but haven't experienced the problem you're referring to. Are you playing the 105 through analogue outs or via HDMI?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #6154 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Playing through HDMI. I have BD selected on the oppo.
post #6155 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Hi, guys. I've read some of the pages on this forum, searched here and on the internet and I still need help.

I just got a 105 and have set it up. I have good internet connection through either an ethernet cable or through the wi-fi. But I cannot stream anything from the Mac Mini I have in the other room. The 105 sees the Mac (and the Time Machine), lets me select music, then asks me for a username and a password. I can never seem to get past this stage. I've used every permutation of my computer/network username. My Marantz pre-pro works with Airplay (sometimes) and I stream music with an Apple TV all the time (the password it uses is the same as my computer pw, but no luck on the Oppo).

I guess I'm asking if it's a matter or not having the right username/pw or do I need some other software? I have iTunes on my Mac Mini and that's pretty much it (except for Pure Music).

Thanks!

Anyone else networking with a Mac?
post #6156 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Playing through HDMI. I have BD selected on the oppo.
Are you bitstreaming or is the Oppo decoding? What receiver? Not sure what BD selected refers to.
post #6157 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 PM

I think it's set to auto. I have the oppo on blur ray disc input. I have a marantz sr7005.
post #6158 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
NW.

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi, guys. I've read some of the pages on this forum, searched here and on the internet and I still need help.

I just got a 105 and have set it up. I have good internet connection through either an ethernet cable or through the wi-fi. But I cannot stream anything from the Mac Mini I have in the other room. The 105 sees the Mac (and the Time Machine), lets me select music, then asks me for a username and a password. I can never seem to get past this stage. I've used every permutation of my computer/network username. My Marantz pre-pro works with Airplay (sometimes) and I stream music with an Apple TV all the time (the password it uses is the same as my computer pw, but no luck on the Oppo).

I guess I'm asking if it's a matter or not having the right username/pw or do I need some other software? I have iTunes on my Mac Mini and that's pretty much it (except for Pure Music).

Thanks!

I thought there was some discussion of usernames/passwords much earlier in the thread, but I can't find it. Perhaps I'm wrong and I can't recall if it related to the Mac anyway.

In any event, have you tried not entering a name/password combination and selecting the appropriate continuation? That is, pretend that both the username and password are blank/no data and proceed from there.

Does that work?
post #6159 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM

Yes and it says log in error.

Do I need a DLNA media server program like Twonky or Plex on my Mac?? Any recommendation?
post #6160 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^ On my Windows 7 (I know - not Mac) I get prompted for username/password and I just select a different shared directory and it lets me connect without any username/password.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #6161 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Are you bitstreaming or is the Oppo decoding? What receiver? Not sure what BD selected refers to.

should it be set to bit streaming?
post #6162 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it's set to auto. I have the oppo on blur ray disc input. I have a marantz sr7005.
Quote:

should it be set to bit streaming?

I'd try LPCM first to see if the Oppo can decode it maybe the Marantz is having trouble with the bitstream.
I have the Stones BD and will test it again tonight. What firmware is on your Oppo?

FWIW The various encodings should sound the same.
post #6163 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm using the latest firmwear. Btw I'm listening it in analog 7.1 right now and it sounds amazing.
post #6164 of 11724 Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Gelly take a look at this this thread too. People have had trouble with that disc but if you select LPCM and let the Oppo decode it will likely work.
gelly likes this.
post #6165 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 AM

Liked: 12
Well, jumped the gun and installed the Beta Firmware.

Now the picture being displayed is having a greenish tinge even though I have set up all the settings as it was before. Most of the video settings were in Auto earlier and they are now also in Auto.
Have connected the Oppo directly to the projector and using the analogue outs to the Amp.

What settings is screwed up ?...

Can somebody please help...
post #6166 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanikp View Post

Well, jumped the gun and installed the Beta Firmware.

Now the picture being displayed is having a greenish tinge even though I have set up all the settings as it was before. Most of the video settings were in Auto earlier and they are now also in Auto.
Have connected the Oppo directly to the projector and using the analogue outs to the Amp.

What settings is screwed up ?...

Can somebody please help...

OK, first of all don't panic. This is likely something simple. I take it from your description that you CAN see video -- such as the Setup menu settings -- but it is all tinted green. Such Ghastly Green video is the result of a type of HDMI handshake failure where the two devices are confused about whether YCbCr or RGB video data format is in use. If the confusion goes in the other direction, then the result is Shocking Pink video.

I also take it the problem is happening for ALL Video, including Home Menu and the OPPO's Setup menu -- not just when you are playing movie discs. If I'm wrong in these assumptions, please say so.

SO. First things first. Did you remember to do the mandatory Reset Factory Defaults after this firmware install? If not, then now's the time to do it. Power cycle the player after doing the Reset.

If the Ghastly Green video is still happening then there are two ways to approach fixing the HDMI handshake failure. (1) Simplify the HDMI handshake, and (2) Make sure your HDMI cabling can handle the signal bandwidth.

Begin by checking the HDMI plugs are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets at both ends, with nothing (e.g. cable weight) tugging the plug in any direction. HDMI is just a friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. New cables often tug at the plugs because the kinks in the cable (as wrapped up for retail packaging) haven't fully straightened out yet.

Next, You described your cabling as HDMI direct from the OPPO to the projector -- no other HDMI hookups. If three is ANYTHING ELSE in that HDMI path -- daisy chained cables, adapters, HDMI switches, wall plates, gizmos like Darbee, etc., etc., then they should be considered suspect. If there are additional HDMI connections into the projector from other sources, also test by temporarily disconnecting those so JUST the OPPO is connected.

I'm also assuming you are using HDMI 1 for output from the OPPO. We'll try HDMI 2 output later if needed. For now just double check that you really are plugged into the HDMI 1 output so the settings changes we are about to make will actually do something.

(If you *ALSO* have the HDMI 2 output hooked up to anything, temporarily disconnect that until we fix this problem.)

If checking the physical cabling setup fixes the problem, then likely it is just coincidence it failed now. Perhaps a plug shifted a bit while you were doing the firmware install, or just under the weight of the cable.

If no easy answer so far, then go into Setup > Video Setup > HDMI Options and set HDMI Color Space for HDMI 1 to an explicit choice instead of AUTO. The normal choice here is YCbCr 4:4:4, but try YCbCr 4:2:2, and also RGB Video Level to see if any of them cure the problem. (Avoid using RGB PC Level.) An explicit choice here simplifies the handshake.

Next, set the video output resolution to an explicit value -- i.e., 1080p -- instead of AUTO. Again, this simplifies the handshake.

Next, turn HDMI Audio OFF. Since you are not using it, turning it off simplifies the handshake.

Next, turn HDMI CEC OFF. This is for device remote control over the HDMI cable. (Setup > Device Setup) Again, turning it off simplifies the handshake.

(If there is an HDMI CEC setting in the Display, then also turn that OFF for now, until we fix this problem.)

If still no luck, then the next step is to start checking whether your HDMI cabling can handle the signal bandwidth for the signal choices you have selected.

The first thing to do is to carry the OPPO over near the projector and hook it up directly using the normal length HDMI cable that came with the OPPO. All you need to hook up is power and that 6 foot HDMI cable. No need to make the audio connections or anything else. If *THAT* works then we know the problem really is in your existing cabling.

Bring the player back to its normal location and hook it up normally again.

Now start by setting Setup > Video Setup > HDMI Options > Deep Color for HDMI 1 to OFF.

Then set output resolution to 480p (not 480i). 480p is the "simplest" HDMI video signal.

Does that fix the problem? If so, start increasing the bandwidth until we see where the problem begins. Try 1080i video, then 1080p video, then Deep Color 30-bit, then Deep Color 36-bit. If the problem returns with the higher bandwidth signals then that says your HDMI cabling is marginal for those. Again, if you have ANYTHING ELSE in the signal path -- even wall plates -- those should be suspect. Wall plates in particular are infamous for having problems with 1080p video.

A long HDMI cable -- typical for a run to a projector -- has a particularly difficult time with handling HDMI properly. There are two types of signals on the HDMI cable -- high bandwidth which carries the video and audio, and low bandwidth which deals with the handshake. Their transmission properties are different in the cable and EITHER ONE can screw up when the cable is long. So your cable may be OK (show good video without "sparklies" for example) once the handshake is complete, but still have problems with the handshake itself, or the copy protection checks after the handshake. If you look at, for example, Blue Jeans cable (an AVS Forum sponsor), you'll see they have two types of "best" HDMI cable -- one of which is specifically intended for longer runs. A lot of folks have also had good luck with the Redmere technology cables which include a little, active circuit inside the plug. Redmere cables are directional so be sure to plug the source end into the OPPO. Monoprice, another AVS Forum sponsor, is another good source of high quality HDMI cables priced right.

You mentioned that MOST of your settings matched the ones in use prior to installing the 0522B Public Beta firmware. If any of the settings I've mentioned above are ones you changed, then that may explain why the problem is only happening now.

You can also try the same steps using the HDMI 2 output from the OPPO -- perhaps to see if it provides a temporary workaround while you look to upgrade your cabling. The handshake on HDMI 2 is "simpler" because there's only one video processor in the signal path rather than the two used to implement HDMI 1 output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6167 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm using the latest firmwear. Btw I'm listening it in analog 7.1 right now and it sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Gelly take a look at this this thread too. People have had trouble with that disc but if you select LPCM and let the Oppo decode it will likely work.

GELLY,
Based on the thread OBIE_FL cited, it looks like there may be an authoring error on that disc that gets in the way of trying to change the output format. I've seen that before on other music discs. In those cases, you could select any of the formats BEFORE you started the music playing, but the disc screwed up if you tried to change to an alternate format AFTER the music was playing.

Eject the disc. Go into Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage and Erase that (clears the record of your previous choices for that disc). Then load the disc again and see if you can select one of the Bitstream formats before starting playback of the first track.
--Bob
gelly likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6168 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks!

If you are trying to access files on the Mac Mini with the Mac acting as an SMB server, then this article from OPPO's new Knowledge Base addresses your problem:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=32

I presume by Time Machine you actually meant an Apple Time Capsule (Wifi base station with its own, built-in disc drive). My understanding is that the Time Capsule access should work without having to do anything special, but may need to be set up for guest access.
--Bob

post #6169 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The only problem I have with my 105 is that as soon as I finish streaming something from Netflix, the player freezes. If I turn the player off and back on again, it is then fine. I have seen similar complaints here. Is this on Oppo's list to fix in the next firmware? Thanks.
lanping09 likes this.
post #6170 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Ask Again Later. The Future is Hazy.
--Bob

post #6171 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I was told by oppo that they are aware of all the netflix problems and are working on a solution.
post #6172 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

The only problem I have with my 105 is that as soon as I finish streaming something from Netflix, the player freezes. If I turn the player off and back on again, it is then fine. I have seen similar complaints here. Is this on Oppo's list to fix in the next firmware? Thanks.

I had this same thing happen when I first sighned up for Netflix a few weeks ago, the freezing would happen almost ever time a movie or show would end, I haven't noticed the freezing in the past week though.

Overall I love the streaming thing, very convenient. The bugs will get worked out and well be on to the next technology. smile.gif
post #6173 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ OPPO is certainly aware of the problem. But there's been no info released on when a fix might be forthcoming.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #6174 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OK, first of all don't panic. This is likely something simple. I take it from your description that you CAN see video -- such as the Setup menu settings -- but it is all tinted green. Such Ghastly Green video is the result of a type of HDMI handshake failure where the two devices are confused about whether YCbCr or RGB video data format is in use. If the confusion goes in the other direction, then the result is Shocking Pink video.

I also take it the problem is happening for ALL Video, including Home Menu and the OPPO's Setup menu -- not just when you are playing movie discs. If I'm wrong in these assumptions, please say so.

SO. First things first. Did you remember to do the mandatory Reset Factory Defaults after this firmware install? If not, then now's the time to do it. Power cycle the player after doing the Reset.

If the Ghastly Green video is still happening then there are two ways to approach fixing the HDMI handshake failure. (1) Simplify the HDMI handshake, and (2) Make sure your HDMI cabling can handle the signal bandwidth.

Begin by checking the HDMI plugs are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets at both ends, with nothing (e.g. cable weight) tugging the plug in any direction. HDMI is just a friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. New cables often tug at the plugs because the kinks in the cable (as wrapped up for retail packaging) haven't fully straightened out yet.

Next, You described your cabling as HDMI direct from the OPPO to the projector -- no other HDMI hookups. If three is ANYTHING ELSE in that HDMI path -- daisy chained cables, adapters, HDMI switches, wall plates, gizmos like Darbee, etc., etc., then they should be considered suspect. If there are additional HDMI connections into the projector from other sources, also test by temporarily disconnecting those so JUST the OPPO is connected.

I'm also assuming you are using HDMI 1 for output from the OPPO. We'll try HDMI 2 output later if needed. For now just double check that you really are plugged into the HDMI 1 output so the settings changes we are about to make will actually do something.

(If you *ALSO* have the HDMI 2 output hooked up to anything, temporarily disconnect that until we fix this problem.)

If checking the physical cabling setup fixes the problem, then likely it is just coincidence it failed now. Perhaps a plug shifted a bit while you were doing the firmware install, or just under the weight of the cable.

If no easy answer so far, then go into Setup > Video Setup > HDMI Options and set HDMI Color Space for HDMI 1 to an explicit choice instead of AUTO. The normal choice here is YCbCr 4:4:4, but try YCbCr 4:2:2, and also RGB Video Level to see if any of them cure the problem. (Avoid using RGB PC Level.) An explicit choice here simplifies the handshake.

Next, set the video output resolution to an explicit value -- i.e., 1080p -- instead of AUTO. Again, this simplifies the handshake.

Next, turn HDMI Audio OFF. Since you are not using it, turning it off simplifies the handshake.

Next, turn HDMI CEC OFF. This is for device remote control over the HDMI cable. (Setup > Device Setup) Again, turning it off simplifies the handshake.

(If there is an HDMI CEC setting in the Display, then also turn that OFF for now, until we fix this problem.)

YCbCr 4:2:2

This solved the problem. Thanks a Lot Bob. I was worried.

But, now the next question. Which is better ? 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. Also, Auto should not pose this problem. Do we consider this a beta bug ?
post #6175 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 AM

YCbCr 4:2:2

This solved the problem. Thanks a Lot Bob. I was worried.

But, now the next question. Which is better ? 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. Also, Auto should not pose this problem. Do we consider this a beta bug ?
lanping09 likes this.
post #6176 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks. Yes, I meant the Time Capsule. No problem getting internet access for the Oppo through it. Both wired and wireless work.

Yes, that's the problem. I just got an email from Oppo saying that I can't use SMB with a Mac and would need a DLNA server, but maybe I'll try this, too. Huge number of ALAC files on my Mini are another problem, but I'm most interested in playing FLAC from HD Tracks (though the ALAC conversions in iTunes would be more convenient to stream.

What are you guys doing to play hi-res files through the 105?
post #6177 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
When you use DLNA to stream, what file types you can stream are determined by the server application and not by the Oppo. You may be able to find a Mac-compatible DLNA server that will handle your ALAC files.

post #6178 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

When you use DLNA to stream, what file types you can stream are determined by the server application and not by the Oppo. You may be able to find a Mac-compatible DLNA server that will handle your ALAC files.
That's not entirely true. Oppo doesn't support DSD over DLNA (DoP), but I know some Media Server/Control applications that do.
post #6179 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

That's not entirely true. Oppo doesn't support DSD over DLNA (DoP), but I know some Media Server/Control applications that do.

What are some good ones? Plex seems worthless, as it handles ALAC by transcoding to a max rate of 320kps. What are you guys using? Twonky? Playback?
post #6180 of 11724 Old 06-30-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

What are some good ones? Plex seems worthless, as it handles ALAC by transcoding to a max rate of 320kps. What are you guys using? Twonky? Playback?
Give Minimserver a try. I believe it has the ability to transcode ALAC files. I'm not a Mac user. I use JRiver Media Center (pc) and JRemote (iPad) software, however, I believe there's a beta version of JRiver sw for the Mac too...it's not freeware, and I think the Mac port of their media server is not fully stabilized...http://www.jriver.com/mac.html
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page