46Likes

post #6211 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

^^^^. Parasound P7 for a preamp and the Marantz AV8801 for a prepro. Still waiting to see how the new Yamaha CX-A5000 prepro shakes out. Of course Anthem and Arcam would be excellent too, just likely more money.
So the Parasound and or Marantz would do what I need? Does the arcam and anthem have audio and video passthroughs? Not that either sound bad at all, on the contrary, but I do want the switching ability and other formats that can be played with either, but the DAC's of he oppo. Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The "3D" Anthem processors have both analog audio and HDMI pass thru. Not sure about the Arcam but I assume most modern processors allow it.
post #6213 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post

So the Parasound and or Marantz would do what I need? Does the arcam and anthem have audio and video passthroughs? Not that either sound bad at all, on the contrary, but I do want the switching ability and other formats that can be played with either, but the DAC's of he oppo. Am I crazy?

No, you're not. smile.gif

In fact, you're asking basically the same question I did a couple of posts prior (# 6209). The difference is you already have an amplifier. I'm trying to determine what receiver I should get (I'm trying to eliminate redundant components and simplify the system) that would most compliment the Oppo 105 and not duplicate its processing functions.
post #6214 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

No, you're not. smile.gif

In fact, you're asking basically the same question I did a couple of posts prior (# 6209). The difference is you already have an amplifier. I'm trying to determine what receiver I should get (I'm trying to eliminate redundant components and simplify the system) that would most compliment the Oppo 105 and not duplicate its processing functions.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same sort of thing, but was told thAt the oppo cannot control everything via one touch remote either like a receiver/processor? I have a mx 780 remote i will be using to control everything but the computer, but would need the receivers abilities to do this. At least from what i understand. I figure if i put inline an anthem mrx, it would work fine since i will be using my arcam p7 for power to my speakers.
post #6215 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Looks like it's only for Windows computers?

Looks like Asset UPnP can be use with OSX

That said, all my Asset UPnP experience is on Windows machines.

Styln
post #6216 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same sort of thing, but was told thAt the oppo cannot control everything via one touch remote either like a receiver/processor? I have a mx 780 remote i will be using to control everything but the computer, but would need the receivers abilities to do this. At least from what i understand. I figure if i put inline an anthem mrx, it would work fine since i will be using my arcam p7 for power to my speakers.
The least amount of redundant components you put in your signal path, the more pure, unabated your sound will be. I think that should be your ultimate goal...not trying to get down to one "control all" remote. The sound, for me, is the highest priority...if that requires using multiple remotes to attain this, so be it. Also, wouldn't you rather have the Oppo do digital-to-analog conversions of the audio?
mazspeed likes this.
post #6217 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've got a 5.1 system in my living room. I'll have a TV in there but primarily that will be the music-listening part of the house. Planning on an Oppo BDP-105 in there and need a receiver. Since the 105 has a lot of features that duplicate the video and audio processing and streaming features of a good AVR or pre-pro, I figure I don't need a real high-end receiver. I basically need something with a radio tuner that will push sound to the living room speakers and maybe another zone or two. Don't want to duplicate features that the Oppo will perform better anyway.

So what would be a good receiver to pair with the Oppo 105?

I have been very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the inexpensive Onkyo NR609 AVR in my home theatre setup, with the OPPO BDP-103 as the source and my old Polk RTA12B speakers (especially after I redid the crossover w/ Polypro caps,removed the fuse, and made them bi-ampable). I bought this AVR 1.5 years ago from Accessories for Less. This receiver is 100W into 7.2 channels, and has a nice feature of being able to use the amp modules for 5.2 with FR/FL being bi-amped. This receiver only has digital inputs: several HDMI, coaxial, and optical, so it would NOT take advantage of BDP-105 DACs. It also has networking, DLNA, and internet radio capabilities. Accessories for Less has many Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz receivers for sale as factory authorized refurbs.

If you were only interested in radio tuners, consider instead MARANTZ - NA7004 NETWORK ENABLED DAC, which also has networking, DLNA, and internet radio capabilities (via Ethernet), as well as multiple DAC inputs, and digital coaxial outputs. I bought one a few weeks ago from MusicDirect, as they have $399 closeouts on them. I have been very pleased with this unit as it is functional to operate without any monitors by just using its display and remote. Sound quality is very good (after ~100hrs of break in), though again its sound quality would not be as good as the BDP-105's analog output. It has the same DAC and analog output stages as Marantz's SA8004 SACD player that was highly reviewed by Stereophile and Absolute Sound. The DAC chip is also the same as Oppo's BDP-103.

I compared the NA7004's ANALOG sound quality on my main 2-channel system to Oppo BDP-103 and my Sony SCD-777ES (13 year old original top loading, 55 pound battleship) SACD player by playing CDs in the disc players and using the coaxial digital out into the NA7004, using an inexpensive Monoprice digital cable, and identical upgraded power cords. I matched volume levels using a SPL meter, adjusting for the NA7004 being 1dB louder. The NA7004 and the Oppo's BDP-103's SQ was tonally very similar, but I preferred the NA7004 as I seemed to relax more and focused more on the music and not the "sound". The NA7004 was warmer sounding than the SCD-777ES, but I preferred the SCD-777ES's greater transparency. Also, the NA7004 sounded even better when fed uncompressed WAV files via Ethernet instead of digital input from the disc transport, with the difference being more of the relaxing and focusing more on the music and not the "sound".

I am MUCH pickier listening to music than home theatre. My "good" stereo system is high resolution system, which I have built myself, except for the source components (single-ended, Class-A, preamps and power amps based on Nelson Pass designs with outboard, overbuilt power supplies, double boxed Focal MTM transmission line speakers, high purity silver interconnects and speaker cable).
post #6218 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

The least amount of redundant components you put in your signal path, the more pure, unabated your sound will be. I think that should be your ultimate goal...not trying to get down to one "control all" remote. The sound, for me, is the highest priority...if that requires using multiple remotes to attain this, so be it. Also, wouldn't you rather have the Oppo do digital-to-analog conversions of the audio?
I fully agree the more inline the worse it sounds. But do the passthroughs on the receivers/processors hurt the sound coming from the oppo? Sound and video is also high on my list, but ease of use for my wife is also paramount. I was told that i should consider an integra 40.2 for a pre with the oppo while running video and sound through the oppo. Thoughts? Thanks for the comments.
post #6219 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I fully agree the more inline the worse it sounds. But do the passthroughs on the receivers/processors hurt the sound coming from the oppo? Sound and video is also high on my list, but ease of use for my wife is also paramount. I was told that i should consider an integra 40.2 for a pre with the oppo while running video and sound through the oppo. Thoughts? Thanks for the comments.
I'm still a little confused as to why you said in a prior post that you don't think the Oppo can do everything you want it to do, as your reason to want a pre/pro unit. ?? What would you like the Oppo to do that you think it's incapable of doing?
post #6220 of 11417 Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Have you considered Harmony universal remote controls?
Wouldnt they archive single remote operation without any SQ sacrifice?
post #6221 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLitz View Post

I have been very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the inexpensive Onkyo NR609 AVR in my home theatre setup, with the OPPO BDP-103 as the source and my old Polk RTA12B speakers (especially after I redid the crossover w/ Polypro caps,removed the fuse, and made them bi-ampable). I bought this AVR 1.5 years ago from Accessories for Less. This receiver is 100W into 7.2 channels, and has a nice feature of being able to use the amp modules for 5.2 with FR/FL being bi-amped. This receiver only has digital inputs: several HDMI, coaxial, and optical, so it would NOT take advantage of BDP-105 DACs. It also has networking, DLNA, and internet radio capabilities. Accessories for Less has many Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz receivers for sale as factory authorized refurbs.

Thanks for the reply. As I have two rooms to provide surround systems for, I thought I would break it up this way: spend a "little" on a BD player (Oppo 103) in the theater and a "lot" on the receiver (to provide networking capability and push enough power to adaquately run the 7.2 speaker array), and in the Living Room, where music is more of a priority, spend a "lot" on the BD player (Oppo 105) and a "little" on the receiver, while not duplicating networking and processing functions that the Oppo can do just as well if not better. I'm hoping to elicit some recommendations for the receiver in this thread. If not, then I'll start a dedicated thread and ask the same question.

I'm assuming the receiver would have to have, at a minimum, multichannel analog inputs to take advantage of the Oppo 105's multichannel outs for SACD and DVD-A listening. It needs a phono amp as well since I have a late-model turntable (Rega P-3).

And forgive me for asking what may appear to be a stupid question: What is meant by "bi-amping" speakers? Why would you want to do such a thing? Can and/or should all speakers be bi-amped or just the front mains? I'm guessing this might have something to do with improving the performance of analog stereo. If so, how? My fronts are 30 year old 4 ohms Mission Argonauts; center "yet to be determined" (more research required - *sigh*).
post #6222 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I tried paaa through on an Arcam AVR300 vs Oppo95 direct to the amp and I heard a difference immediately. I'm running the 95 directly to Bryston amps and everything works fantastic.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #6223 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:

And forgive me for asking what may appear to be a stupid question: What is meant by "bi-amping" speakers? Why would you want to do such a thing? Can and/or should all speakers be bi-amped or just the front mains? I'm guessing this might have something to do with improving the performance of analog stereo. If so, how? My fronts are 30 year old 4 ohms Mission Argonauts; center "yet to be determined" (more research required - *sigh*).

Bi-amping a speaker is just what it sounds like...running 2 amps to power a speaker. Usually done with a tube amp running the mid and high freqs and SS to drive the woofer(s) of the speaker. Some hear a difference, some don't. YMMV.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #6224 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Bi-amping a speaker is just what it sounds like...running 2 amps to power a speaker. Usually done with a tube amp running the mid and high freqs and SS to drive the woofer(s) of the speaker. Some hear a difference, some don't. YMMV.

Can you do it with any loudspeaker, or do they have to be especially made for that (with, say, two sets of input terminals)? What I really want to know is why? Seems like an unnecessary complication if the difference is so subtle you might not even notice it.
post #6225 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:

Can you do it with any loudspeaker, or do they have to be especially made for that (with, say, two sets of input terminals)? What I really want to know is why? Seems like an unnecessary complication if the difference is so subtle you might not even notice it.

HF's like tubes to sound their best. It doesn't take much power to drive a midrange or tweeter. Woofers like power. Hence, the SS amp works best for this.

Don't get me wrong. You can bi-amp with a variety of different amps. Two sets of inputs makes it the easiest way to bi-amp.

If you don't have the inputs, you'll have to access the crossover and hook the amps up directly to it.

Hopefully, people who have tried/have this setup will chime in.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #6226 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. As I have two rooms to provide surround systems for, I thought I would break it up this way: spend a "little" on a BD player (Oppo 103) in the theater and a "lot" on the receiver (to provide networking capability and push enough power to adaquately run the 7.2 speaker array), and in the Living Room, where music is more of a priority, spend a "lot" on the BD player (Oppo 105) and a "little" on the receiver, while not duplicating networking and processing functions that the Oppo can do just as well if not better. I'm hoping to elicit some recommendations for the receiver in this thread. If not, then I'll start a dedicated thread and ask the same question.

I'm assuming the receiver would have to have, at a minimum, multichannel analog inputs to take advantage of the Oppo 105's multichannel outs for SACD and DVD-A listening. It needs a phono amp as well since I have a late-model turntable (Rega P-3).

Bi-amping differs from Bi-wiring. Bi-wiring has two sets of speaker cable split between the tweeter (or tweeter/mid) and the woofer driven by a single amplifier channel. Bi-amping also has two sets of speaker cable, but each cable is driven by a separate amplifier channel. Both bi-amping and bi-wiring require that the speakers have have separate tweeter (or tweeter/mid) and woofer binding posts. Bi-amping has a few advantages: 1) the amplifier sees roughly a 2x higher speaker impedance, making the speakers easier to drive with a flatter frequency response (this would be more important for amps with higher output impedances, such as tube amps and simple solid state amps, such as my Zen's); 2) there is more total power available to the speaker; and 3) on demanding music, with a lot of low frequency output, the sensitive tweeter (or tweeter/mid) would not be fed by a strained amplifier. The downside to bi-amping is the cost of extra amplifiers and cabling.

Given your receiver needs in the more critical listening room, I would think that a high end Marantz receivers would be a good choice, as they have analog inputs, phono stage inputs, and good sound quality. accessories4less.com has a refurb MARANTZ SR7005, last year's flagship model, for $850.
dmusoke likes this.
post #6227 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been looking for a good DLNA server that includes video support as I have a few music videos I've put on ye old Win7 HTPC/server. I've tried XMC, UMS, PMS, and Plex as the go-to servers. While they work well enough for video (disclaimer - I am not a videophile), they don't work at all for my lossless audio collection. Long story short, it looks like Twonky works best for my needs. Videos play well, and flacs, including HD flacs, play well. For audio, I'll continue to use Asset UPNP. I trust it, and I still need the excellent lossless transcoding abilities for the BDP-83SE. So a thumbs up for Twonky server and the BDP-105. As a control point, I'm using Bubble UPnP on Android. This is a great piece of software. By far the best I've tried, and I've tried many, from an ease-of-use and a stability standpoint. Works perfectly with both Twonky and Asset to the 105.

Since I like the Twonky server, I thought I'd give the Twonky iOS DLNA app a try. Downloaded it to an iPod Touch 4th Gen running 6.1.3. My take is that it is OK. It works best with Twonky server. By this I mean I ran into problems using it with Asset UPnP: it started playing content at half speed. Switching back to Twonky server and playing the exact same content "cured" the problem. Playing the exact same flac file using Bubble from either Twonky server or Asset server was no problem. So there is some incompatibility that surfaces using Twonky Control with Asset Server. Worked for a while and then when south...

Another issue I had with the Twonky app is that it would randomly drop the available servers on the network. They would show up about 10 minutes later. In the mean time, Bubble had no problems playing from these server, or even finding these servers after I restarted it, just to see if it was a network issue. It wasn't, again it's a Twonky app issue.

Also, I just don't find the UX very good. I'm sure one would get used to it, but it is not in the same league as Bubble's very straight forward |Devices | Library | Play List | Now Playing | layout. The Twonky layout makes you select the render every time. If you have many different renders I guess this is OK, but even so, I prefer to select my server and render first, and then build the playlist. Bubble makes this easy, Twonky requires a good deal of selecting and flipping.

Finally, there are very few options to configure on either Twonky server or client. I suppose this could be a good thing, as it does work w/o any tweaking, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what the Twonky twins are doing to the content. With Asset & Bubble I can set exactly what happens at the client & server, and I get visible confirmation while the song is playing.

In Summary:

Asset UPnP Server: 5 stars for serving music
Twonky Server: 4 stars for serving video and music
Bubble UPnP App for Android: 5 stars for controlling music & video
Twonky App for iOS: 3 stars if used with Twonky Server

Styln
post #6228 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM

I'm having trouble streaming movies from Netflix through my 105. My 103 and my ps3 never gives me any problems. The 105 has trouble loading. I'm using an airport express router. Any suggestions? It does the same thing with bidi.
post #6229 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgordon87 View Post

I'm having trouble streaming movies from Netflix through my 105. My 103 and my ps3 never gives me any problems. The 105 has trouble loading. I'm using an airport express router. Any suggestions? It does the same thing with bidi.

First check in Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info to see if you have reasonable Wifi signal strength at the 105. If not, try repositioning the Wifi dongle using the USB extension cord that came with your 105.

If still having problems, try this:

Go into Setup > Device Setup, and in the Netflix line, deactivate Netflix.

Then power cycle the player and launch Netflix. You will be asked to log in again, just as you did the first time you launched Netflix. Basically you are reconnecting the Netflix app to your existing Netflix account.

Also, what firmware are you on? I suggest you try the Public Beta 0522B firmware available for download from the OPPO Digital web site for install via USB stick:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Support.aspx

After installing that firmware it is important that you Reset Factory Defaults, so jot down your settings first so you can re-enter them more easily.

NOTE: Netflix has a limit of how many streaming devices can be accessing your account at any one time. They keep changing the rules on that, but my point is, try testing the 105 while NOT having the 103 and PS3 also in Netflix.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6230 of 11417 Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks Styln for those thoughts to consider.
Dave
post #6231 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

In the "music" room with the 105, do you really need another receiver? If only music from one (or two) sources, maybe just a good multi-channel amp (so long as it has at least 5.1 analogue inputs)? Cos the 105 can cope with (a fair amount of) source switching. I believe there are some multi-channel amps around. Of course you may also want fm or digital radio reception, but then you could perhaps get a separate tuner?

Later Edit: If you wanted to play concert DVDs/blu-rays, you could still connect the 105's video via one of the HDMI outs direct to whatever display, and still avoid needing a receiver as opposed to an amp
post #6232 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post

In the "music" room with the 105, do you really need another receiver? If only music from one (or two) sources, maybe just a good multi-channel amp (so long as it has at least 5.1 analogue inputs)? Cos the 105 can cope with (a fair amount of) source switching. I believe there are some multi-channel amps around. Of course you may also want fm or digital radio reception, but then you could perhaps get a separate tuner?

Later Edit: If you wanted to play concert DVDs/blu-rays, you could still connect the 105's video via one of the HDMI outs direct to whatever display, and still avoid needing a receiver as opposed to an amp

Not only music in there but also day-to-day HDTV/5.1 television watching. Seems like a receiver would be the best bet and avoid having to get a separate radio tuner which would probably mean "duplicating processing functions" again. What I need is a good but inexpensive receiver with multi-channel analog inputs (to handle the analog outs from the Oppo) and a phono input. I guess the phono stage could be a separate; haven't gotten into that research yet. But it doesn't have to have advanced processing or networking functions, as the Oppo will provide those.

Seems like most receivers are abandoning multi-channel analog inputs as well as the phono stage these days.
post #6233 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would be concerned about the receiver's analog section so you don't loose gains from the 105 DAC and analog section. The Marantz AV8801 prepro is not inexpensive but would not do much damage to what the 105 can put out. The Parasound P7 has no radio (assuming the 8801 does?) but I can't remember the last time I listen to regular FM on one of my home systems, not even HD.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #6234 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I would be concerned about the receiver's analog section so you don't loose gains from the 105 DAC and analog section. The Marantz AV8801 prepro is not inexpensive but would not do much damage to what the 105 can put out. The Parasound P7 has no radio (assuming the 8801 does?) but I can't remember the last time I listen to regular FM on one of my home systems, not even HD.

Yeah, an FM tuner, preferably a HD FM tuner, is a must for me. Would like to be able to pump it all over the house. Have no use for an AM tuner - that entire band of the radio has become a cesspool of idiot talking heads - but you probably can't have one without the other.

As you say, a multi-channel analog pass-thru for the receiver/amp is a must if you're going to invest in a source with superb DAC's like the 105. And they're disappearing fast. I gotta' find one while there are still a few out there.
post #6235 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

That is so true, I have been looking forward to the day that I can I have one box solution, OPPO BDP-105 may be it! It still need a couple iteration and we might be there, may the 2014 or 2016 version!
post #6236 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Yeah, an FM tuner, preferably a HD FM tuner, is a must for me. Would like to be able to pump it all over the house. Have no use for an AM tuner - that entire band of the radio has become a cesspool of idiot talking heads - but you probably can't have one without the other.

As you say, a multi-channel analog pass-thru for the receiver/amp is a must if you're going to invest in a source with superb DAC's like the 105. And they're disappearing fast. I gotta' find one while there are still a few out there.
I wouldn't get to anxious. Analogue will still be around for some time to come. Yeah, some of the less expensive offerings might do away with analogue inputs but the key word here is "inexpensive". You probably should stay away from those anyway as the sound quality would be suspect and would just muck up the beautiful sound coming from the 105's DACs.

You mentioned that you absolutely have to have an FM tuner.........why? The 105 has Pandora.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #6237 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I wouldn't get to anxious. Analogue will still be around for some time to come. Yeah, some of the less expensive offerings might do away with analogue inputs but the key word here is "inexpensive". You probably should stay away from those anyway as the sound quality would be suspect and would just muck up the beautiful sound coming from the 105's DACs.

You mentioned that you absolutely have to have an FM tuner.........why? The 105 has Pandora.

That's why I'm here in the Oppo 105 thread looking for receiver recommendations. smile.gif As to the FM tuner, I still listen to the local NPR station for local news, weather, etc. I enjoy their programming and give 'em money every year during pledge week and it's what's generally on in the background during weekdays (I work out of my house). But Mrs. Archi adores Pandora at home and satellite radio when she's driving - couldn't live without them.
post #6238 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Has anyone started to experience video drops on their 105? For about two weeks I notice the screen go blank but audio still going for 3 to 5 secs about 60 or so min into the Blu Ray. Die Harder, Oz, Jurassic Park. Also notice it happen on Netflix. Other sources are fine and I've tried the oppo displaying on two different devices, same symptom. I emailed tech support and updated to latest beta.
post #6239 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

First check in Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info to see if you have reasonable Wifi signal strength at the 105. If not, try repositioning the Wifi dongle using the USB extension cord that came with your 105.

If still having problems, try this:

Go into Setup > Device Setup, and in the Netflix line, deactivate Netflix.

Then power cycle the player and launch Netflix. You will be asked to log in again, just as you did the first time you launched Netflix. Basically you are reconnecting the Netflix app to your existing Netflix account.

Also, what firmware are you on? I suggest you try the Public Beta 0522B firmware available for download from the OPPO Digital web site for install via USB stick:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Support.aspx

After installing that firmware it is important that you Reset Factory Defaults, so jot down your settings first so you can re-enter them more easily.

NOTE: Netflix has a limit of how many streaming devices can be accessing your account at any one time. They keep changing the rules on that, but my point is, try testing the 105 while NOT having the 103 and PS3 also in Netflix.
--Bob
The dongle solved the problem. I'm keeping it atop one of my Asc tube traps, where it's free from electronic interferenceMk.V consists of an acrylic base containing the motor and electronic drive components, three spring-suspension towers, and a subchassis upon which are mounted the bearing/platter assembly and the arm. The subchassis fits over the three towers, and its weight decompresses the three springs. As any Linny knows, setting up a spring suspension can be a royal pain. If you don't get the springs balanced so the subchassis moves as one, you get a rocking motion that blurs and confuses the sound. Oracle has always supplied color-coded springs of different stiffnesses to deal with the different loads seen by the three towers, due to the asymmetrical mounting of the arm.
post #6240 of 11417 Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html

Look for a pre-pro/receiver that will stream content. I am not an expert in pre-pro/receivers, but pretty sure you can find some that will let you add the content streams you want to hear.
Another option, is to use a DLNA server like Asset UPnP and add your streams there:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-whs-manual.html

Took my FM tuner out of the system when I went BDP-105 direct to amps. Don't miss it one bit.

Here are some screen shots using the Asset/Bubble combo:
npr_stream1.png 51k .png file
npr_stream2.png 99k .png file
npr_stream3.png 52k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png npr_stream3.png (51.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page