post #6391 of 11318 Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Wow eek.gif I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not . At the end or beginning for that matter, I heard no relay clicks from playing an sacd ? i do have the new beta installed and one more thing , I did a full reset to the player, but it still retained all my Netflix info ? I thought it was supposed to delete all account settings as it always did before ? I'll check out the streaming later tonight to see if indeed its become more stable, but not hearing the clicks is a bit unnerving as it assured me it was switching to the right decoding format but hey, if its silent and in the right mode then so be it smile.gif

The player offers different styles of Reset Factory Defaults. The "Recommended Reset" that's offered on the first power up after the firmware install retains your Network settings and Internet app log-in credentials. The text it puts up actually says this, but I know most people don't read that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 11318 Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The player offers different styles of Reset Factory Defaults. The "Recommended Reset" that's offered on the first power up after the firmware install retains your Network settings and Internet app log-in credentials. The text it puts up actually says this, but I know most people don't read that.
--Bob

Hi Bob! i actually went into the settings also and then did the full rest as well accounts and all, this is why I was surprised to see the account still active! but to be sure I'll try it again !
post #6393 of 11318 Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View PostThe player offers different styles of Reset Factory Defaults. The "Recommended Reset" that's offered on the first power up after the firmware install retains your Network settings and Internet app log-in credentials. The text it puts up actually says this, but I know most people don't read that.
--Bob

Installed the beta, is that rest good enough or should I do the full reset?

post #6394 of 11318 Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

That Reset is all you need.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6395 of 11318 Old 07-22-2013, 03:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View PostThat Reset is all you need.--Bob

Gracias compadres!

Sorry to ask again is this best 

"  Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multichannel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output.

When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected."

Oppo bdp-105 Connections.pdf 743k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oppo bdp-105 Connections.pdf (743.2 KB, 42 views)
post #6396 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post

Okay so here goes guys...I have the Marantz PM-15S2 Limited Edition integrated stereo amplifier matched with Paradigm Studio 60 V3 and eventually upgrading to the Kef LS50s. I am running flac, alac, aiff files via Macbook Pro via USB to my Burson Audio Conductor which has the new ESS Sabre32 ES9018 Reference Chip. I am loving the sound so far. I have a Playstation 3 which I have not tried hooking up to my Burson Audio. Not even sure if it will work via optical input cause Burson makes you download drivers in your pc, otherwise it sounds all messed up. So what I want to to do is be able to hook up my PS3 for movies, cds, and dvds. Am I going to get the same kind of quality or at near the quality of a Oppo BDP-105? I have read the specs and read all the reviews which I am very impressed. Just wondering if I am truely going to really notice a 1200 dollar difference vs my setup if it works of course LOL. Any input guys?
In my system Oppo BDP-105 replaced Audiolab M-DAC which some publication clamed to be the best DAC under 900 GBP (http://www.whathifi.com/review/audiolab-m-dac).
I don't know which DACs PS3 or PS4 using, but I don't expect it to be better than ES9018
I did notice the difference in my system and for me $1200 was more than justified.
As usual, your mileage may vary ...
post #6397 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Ok so now that's cool! CINEMA ONE http://www.kaleidescape.com/products/cinema-one/

Always dream of having one but thought it was always too expensive!
post #6398 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Sorry to ask again is this best 

" 
 Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out 
from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC 
hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multichannel 
speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output.

When this 
option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of 
the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be 
connected
."

That's what I use for testing Analog audio output from the 105.
--Bob

post #6399 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 13
Finally got a chance to get online and what do my eyes find!!!??? The picture worth a thousand words!!! Thanks very much for directing me to that picture of the silver 105. It is close enough for government porpoises, lol. I do have the 30 day return and from what I hear, the latest beta firmware update should settle my concerns about blue ray, which will be about 40 to 50% of what this does in my system... now where's my checkbook??biggrin.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #6400 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 22
The new firmware is good but I would like to ask others if they agree with me on this

when you press info, I would like to see the name of the file and the resolution

I don't care about the bit rate as it is not accurate and not relevant

all other media players show the name and resolution

the other things the Oppo shows are ok such as time, type of audio

If they could add the name and resolution that would make the media player complete
post #6401 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View PostThe new firmware is good but I would like to ask others if they agree with me on this when you press info, I would like to see the name of the file and the resolution

I don't care about the bit rate as it is not accurate and not relevant all other media players show the name and resolution the other things the Oppo shows are ok such as time, type of audio. If they could add the name and resolution that would make the media player complete

Name and resolution would be good :)

post #6402 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have had a weird problem with the Beta file. When I'm watching a DVD and pause it and then go back to playing the disc, it resumes play with the soap opera effect happening. Had to power cycle the player last night to get it to go away. I also found the night before that I could go into the TV settings (if I remember correctly) and that the problem would go away after exiting. Weird. I'll report back if it does this again tonight. Can't remember it happening with Bluray, just DVD of a new TV series.

TV is Sony kdlw900a with Oppo 105.
post #6403 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post

I have had a weird problem with the Beta file. When I'm watching a DVD and pause it and then go back to playing the disc, it resumes play with the soap opera effect happening. Had to power cycle the player last night to get it to go away. I also found the night before that I could go into the TV settings (if I remember correctly) and that the problem would go away after exiting. Weird. I'll report back if it does this again tonight. Can't remember it happening with Bluray, just DVD of a new TV series.

TV is Sony kdlw900a with Oppo 105.

You should report this to Oppo with the same details you provided here.

post #6404 of 11318 Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Try setting DVD 24p Conversion to OFF. The cadence may be lost or locked out of sequence, which will cause dropped frames.

Ensure that you do not have nay image enhancers on such as LED Motion Plus or 120/240Hz Motion Smoothing. These will cause unwanted visual errors on your display.
post #6405 of 11318 Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Liked: 18
Here is the new release.
This release is for the OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

This version is based on the latest Public Beta release version BDP10X-58-0719B. Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-50-0422, the major changes included in this version are:

Improved the Audio/Video synchronization when streaming from some cable TV boxes connected to the HDMI IN port (Front and Back). Customers have reported that with normal TV playback, if there is any change in the content audio format (for example, from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Dolby Digital 2.0), the audio/video outputs could become out-of-sync. This issue has been significantly improved upon in this firmware. (We are aware of an audio startup delay issue when switching from a Dolby Digital 5.1 input to a Dolby Digital 2.0 input, and we are working to resolve it in a future firmware version.)
Resolved an issue where the player would slow down, and sometimes freeze entirely, when navigating files on USB connected hard drives. Several customers have reported this issue with their Western Digital external hard drives, and they had to power down the player then power it back on to restore its performance. This issue has been resolved.
Resolved an issue where a loud popping noise could be heard at the end of playing some WAV, MP3, and DSD music tracks.
Resolved an issue where accepting a cable television signal through the HDMI inputs might result in a black screen. Customers reported that if they kept changing the TV channels using the cable remote, sometimes they would only see a black screen on the TV, even though the audio was still ok. In order to restore the video, they had to force a HDMI handshake (changing the input source, hot-plug the HDMI cable, etc.).
Improved CUE file support. Now CUE files can contain non-English characters in UTF-8 encoding.
Added support for a newly developed iOS application named "MediaControlHD" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mediacontrolhd/id648243911). It is designed for iPad and iPad mini, and can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. It works with the BDP-103/5 installed with firmware 52-0522 and newer.
Resolved a compatibility issue with certain DSD files.
Added support for the ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) audio format.
Added support for briefly displaying the current audio information on the player's front panel when switching audio tracks. The audio information is displayed as "Language, Sample rate, Number of channels", such as "ENG 192/5.1". If no language information is available, it will be displayed as "AUD, Sample rate, Number of channels".
Added support for directly switching the input source by pressing the INPUT button followed by a numerical button, e.g., "1" for BLU-RAY PLAYER, "2" for HDMI/MHL-IN FRONT, etc.
General disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.
lanping09 likes this.

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #6406 of 11318 Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Try setting DVD 24p Conversion to OFF. The cadence may be lost or locked out of sequence, which will cause dropped frames.

Ensure that you do not have nay image enhancers on such as LED Motion Plus or 120/240Hz Motion Smoothing. These will cause unwanted visual errors on your display.

I will try turning off the DVD 24p Conversion since I do have that set to On.

I did have this happen last night as well and it was triggered by using rewind. Had to click around a bit to get it to stop.

I am not using any of the motion enhancing items. All is turned off.

Thanks for the help.
post #6407 of 11318 Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Note that with the latest firmware, Fox's The Longest Day Blu-ray still doesn't play.

You put the disc in and it advances to six seconds in and that's it - you can't do anything else with the disc but stop or eject it. eek.gif
post #6408 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 19
Did the firmware update last night. Tried to play a CD today. the player was not able to recognize the disk. Tried multiple CDs - same result. However, it will recognize and play my Blue Ray disk.......Really starting to question the value of this $1200 player...........
post #6409 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post

Did the firmware update last night. Tried to play a CD today. the player was not able to recognize the disk. Tried multiple CDs - same result. However, it will recognize and play my Blue Ray disk.......Really starting to question the value of this $1200 player...........

Have tried the obvious things? Reset Factory Defaults, pull the power cord for a minute?

-Bill
post #6410 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Have tried the obvious things? Reset Factory Defaults, pull the power cord for a minute?

-Bill

Yes, I did the reset last night after the update. And another reset this morning, and also pulled the plug for about five minutes. Still not reading CDs mad.gif
post #6411 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Yes, I did the reset last night after the update. And another reset this morning, and also pulled the plug for about five minutes. Still not reading CDs mad.gif

Time to contact OPPO support.

-Bill
post #6412 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Time to contact OPPO support.

-Bill
I did. They are sending out a replacement unit, and I will ship my unit back to them. Good customer service, but this is disappointing. I guess I'll have to break in a new unit, all over again, if you believe in that stuff. smile.gif
post #6413 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I did. They are sending out a replacement unit, and I will ship my unit back to them. Good customer service, but this is disappointing. I guess I'll have to break in a new unit, all over again, if you believe in that stuff. smile.gif

That's good news. I guess you are starting over? Better than having NO UNIT at all to use! Yes it's an inconvenience but stuff breaks or malfunctions sometimes. I have had it happen on several occasions, including a week without driving my new high dollar sports car which cost a hell of a lot more than an Oppo player just for the record. tongue.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #6414 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Odds are it is a failure of the separate laser used to read CDs. That's why Blu-ray playback is not affected. Perhaps as simple as dust on that lens.
--Bob

post #6415 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

That's good news. I guess you are starting over? Better than having NO UNIT at all to use! Yes it's an inconvenience but stuff breaks or malfunctions sometimes. I have had it happen on several occasions, including a week without driving my new high dollar sports car which cost a hell of a lot more than an Oppo player just for the record. tongue.gif

Yes starting over with a new player. Oppo stepped up. Something told me not to sell my Jolida JD100 CD player when I purchased the Oppo in Feb. Time to reinstall the jolida. Everything else works on the Oppo; streaming, blue ray, etc. I have to go to Dallas next week on business, and they even set up a ship date to make sure I will be home when the unit arrives.

Love the Jimi Hendrix quote by the way. He will always be my main man.
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #6416 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Odds are it is a failure of the separate laser used to read CDs. That's why Blu-ray playback is not affected. Perhaps as simple as dust on that lens.
--Bob

Bob - That could be. I don't feel comfortable taking the unit apart, so I guess I'll box it up when I get my new unit, and send it back to Oppo
post #6417 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
Did the Beta upgrade 2 days ago then the player asked to do the official update last night so I went ahead and did it in case there were any more improvements. After restarting the unit and resetting factory defaults the first thing I did is to start streaming a movie from Netflix and the system locked up with a black screen as the movie was starting to load. Had to cycle the power and it worked fine on the second try. There still is a lip synch issue with the Netflix (haven't played a disc yet) and I'm going straight to amps(balanced and HDMI direct to TV for video) so no other electronics in the path.
post #6418 of 11318 Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Did the Beta upgrade 2 days ago then the player asked to do the official update last night so I went ahead and did it in case there were any more improvements. After restarting the unit and resetting factory defaults the first thing I did is to start streaming a movie from Netflix and the system locked up with a black screen as the movie was starting to load. Had to cycle the power and it worked fine on the second try. There still is a lip synch issue with the Netflix (haven't played a disc yet) and I'm going straight to amps(balanced and HDMI direct to TV for video) so no other electronics in the path.

If you are still getting audio/video sync error with this new "Official" firmware, it is time to start looking for causes external to the player. If audio is EARLY (too LITTLE audio delay), the most likely cause is that you are using something in your Display which causes its video processing time to increase significantly. Check your settings for various "enhancement" options in the Display.

I should have stated that as "consistently" early, of course. If you are just seeing a random Netflix program here and there with odd audio/video sync, that may be nothing more than an error in the files they are streaming. Netflix' library is full of programs with errors of one sort or another.

When looking for whether settings in the Display are causing its video processing time to rise, it is best to check with content of known sync quality, such as the A/V Sync test chart on Disney's "WOW, World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc.
--Bob

post #6419 of 11318 Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM

FYI. Some good info to know

With all the Sales Idiots telling customers that 4K is a whole "nother" level

last month in NYC

At Pepcom’s Digital Experience event, held last night (June 20, 2013) at the Metropolitan Pavilion in New York, Marseille Networks introduced the VTV-122X family of video processing chips, which up-converts SD and HD 2D video to 4K resolution, and up-converts 3D video from legacy HDMI sources to 1080p. Both Marseille and Technicolor, whose booth Marseille shared, were emphasizing that the VTV-122X chips are the first and, thus far, only 4K up-converting chips to pass the Technicolor 4K Image Certified test suite.

Technicolor 4K LogoA side-by-side test comparing native 4K source material with upconverted HD material on Sony XBR 4K TV sets was extremely impressive. The images were very difficult to tell apart.

This also matches the Home Theater review onthe Sony 4K TV where he had 2 TV's side by side and he put in 4K on 1 tv and then a 1080 of that same movie on the other TV and used the upscaling engine and it was hard to tell apart

This is good info for everyone to know and proves again, for the 500 millionth time that Sales guys are Absolute Idiots
post #6420 of 11318 Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
After skimming through the various entries from this thread, in addition to the "sound check" thread, I am trying to understand which method would be better to get the best analog stereo from OPPO 105, particularly whether I should use the unbalanced RCAs or utilize the FL/FR connections via the MCH 7.1 analog connections.

The RCAs will be connected from the Oppo through the pre-amp inputs in my Pioneer Elite SC-65 and then out to my speakers. The Pioneer has a DIRECT setting that will pass through signals but tweak them to adjust for room correction; the PURE DIRECT setting will not tweak anything.

I have a pair of decent sounding Aperion Verus grand tower speakers that are part of a larger 9.2 home theater set up. Although I would ideally like to use the 7.1 analogs from the OPPO to benefit the SACDs I have, the Pioneer does not have them. As a result, I am planning on just using the stereo outs for music (to the two towers) and the HDMI out for the home theater events (blu ray, etc.).

I'd like to thank all who have provided input on this issue so far in this thread (hat tip to Bob), and appreciate your time in helping me figure out which path to follow.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page