Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #6481 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Ok thank you. I think I have them all in the same place. They are download ed to my dowloads. I then unzip them to my music. Then I go to media monkey just cant seem to find them. There is only certain ones there to see. And if I want to play the list it will only play one song. Then I have to go to the computer and play the next song.i am assuming that they just aren't compatible with media monkey.
Will the attached hard drive thing work with dsd files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OT for sure --(but wont do it again) - Anthem Statement P5 Amp owners.. How does the 105 sound direct to amp compared to D2v? Room Correction enabled.. disabled? I'm getting what I think is a good deal on this preamp but maybe .. less is more?
post #6483 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
beat,
I don't have a P5 but I do have a 105 and a D2.
I prefer the SQ with the D2 compared to the 105 direct to my amps and I've tried it with 2 different amps.
YMMV and I know that others prefer the no pre-amp setup.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #6484 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
I have some questions about MKV files when streamed to the Oppo via DLNA (using the Oppo as a media renderer):

1: Chapter skipping does not work. Anyone know why? I can ff/rw but not chapter skip

2: Seems 8 channel audio is not supported? i'm testing DTS-HD right now, but PCM 8 channel does not seem to work nor does it work contained in FLAC.

3: PGS subtitles do not work? Must one convert to sub/idx?

Curious other's experience.
post #6485 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post

I have some questions about MKV files when streamed to the Oppo via DLNA (using the Oppo as a media renderer):

1: Chapter skipping does not work. Anyone know why? I can ff/rw but not chapter skip

2: Seems 8 channel audio is not supported? i'm testing DTS-HD right now, but PCM 8 channel does not seem to work nor does it work contained in FLAC.

3: PGS subtitles do not work? Must one convert to sub/idx?

Curious other's experience.

1. I've seen some variability in MKV files themselves in that regard. Could you check if chapters work correctly when the file is on local storage, or when the OPPO initiates playback?

2. I don't recall testing that. Maybe someone else?

3. No support for PGS subtitles in MKV files. We've requested it . I use BDSup2Sub to convert the subtitles to hidef VOBSUB and add them with mkvmerge.

-Bill
post #6486 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

1. I've seen some variability in MKV files themselves in that regard. Could you check if chapters work correctly when the file is on local storage, or when the OPPO initiates playback?

2. I don't recall testing that. Maybe someone else?

3. No support for PGS subtitles in MKV files. We've requested it . I use BDSup2Sub to convert the subtitles to hidef VOBSUB and add them with mkvmerge.

-Bill

Hi bill -

Chapter skip forward never works in my MKVs (works fine in VLC). Chapter skip back *sometimes* works. I'll try to provide more hard data on this.

Re: PGS - yeah, I have been doing the same. I'm writing some python code to generate workflow to use mkvtoolsnix to extract the PGS, call BDSup2Sub to convert to sub/idx, then back to mkvtoolsnix to remux and remove the original PGS. Works pretty well; if I can get it more reliable/hardened I'll be happy to share.

--

The audio channels though kind of bums me out... I don't want to have to do any kind of downmixing if I can avoid it.

The BDP-105 by the way is one hell of a beast! Love it - I have it connected directly to a conrad johnson amp right now for some awesome 2-channel stereo (have a nice SACD collection) and for the rear + center, using my old onkyo amp. I intend to replace the onkyo with likely a 5 channel amp for a full 8 channels overall. plans within plans, but damn the 105 is an incredible value for the cost.
lanping09 likes this.
post #6487 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Your Ordered Chapters are either corrupt or not compatible with the player. I have no issues with Blu-ray backups or personal MKV and Chapter support.

If you use the GOTO button, does the player allow you to put in a specific timestamp? If not, then your files are likely corrupt. Remux the files and try again. If you are using DLNA or SMB, try using attached USB storage instead.
post #6488 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Ok thank you. I think I have them all in the same place. They are download ed to my dowloads. I then unzip them to my music. Then I go to media monkey just cant seem to find them. There is only certain ones there to see. And if I want to play the list it will only play one song. Then I have to go to the computer and play the next song.i am assuming that they just aren't compatible with media monkey.

I believe I have seen others here report that DSD files work from attached USB storages. Must warn you that I only have the Oppo 95 (sniff:mad:) so I am only talking from what I remember reading in this thread. (See posts 6308 and 6371). It may be you have downloaded some music file types not recognised by Media Monkey. I do not use MM so cannot help you on that.

But let us know if you have had luck transferring your files to a USB stick or USB hard drive and playing them from the Oppo.
post #6489 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

I have almost no experience with MediaMonkey but I think you need to consult their website to find out how to use it with DSD: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62829

Also, describe how you are connecting the computer to the 105.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6490 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have almost no experience with MediaMonkey but I think you need to consult their website to find out how to use it with DSD: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62829

Also, describe how you are connecting the computer to the 105.

In earlier post he seemed to be saying he was using the asynchronous USB port (see posts 6474,6475).
post #6491 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgordon87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Yikes! Thanks for the input. I'd definitely buy them from a dealer with a good return policy. My Stax phones sound great, but I'm looking for a pair of sealed phones that come close to their transparency and detail. Are there any others that would work well with the 105 that meet that criteria?
My grado sr60s sounded quite good through the 105, but they certainly aren't on the same comparing ground as electrostatics. I also tried them with a pair of cheap senheisers that work well with my iPod. They sounded anemic through the 105.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6492 of 11417 Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Wire is Mundorf Silver Gold wire smile.gif
!
At'sa nice. But my question remains the same. Is it supposed to change performance somehow? It's not shielded after all. And if the desire was to reduce the AC line hum field, one would twist the 2 AC leads together, not each lead separately. confused.gif

But don't you know electrons are faster and happier travelling in silver/Gold wire than in copper?biggrin.gif

TKO1 and lanping09 like this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6493 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 04:04 AM

Liked: 12
Since I was having a low vocals problem, decided today to remove the Centre channel speaker. When the Oppo sees that there is no Centre channel in analog out settings, I understand that the same sound is diverted to Front L/R. With this setting, the vocals became very clear. I went for a crossover setting of 100Hz and I could feel absolutely no shortage of vocals. It was a much better movie viewing experience. Anyway for music the main concentration is on the Front L/R.
BTW, the equipment used is very simple. Oppo BDP105 analogue out to Emotiva XPA-5 Amp directly. Front L/R and Center speakers are KEF Reference Series, Sub is a B&W 610 and surrounds are KEF 8iQds.
Is such a setup really preferable? Am I missing out on any settings here. The speaker is a good audiophile grade. So That should not be a problem.
Have anybody tried this ?
post #6494 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanikp View Post

Since I was having a low vocals problem, decided today to remove the Centre channel speaker. When the Oppo sees that there is no Centre channel in analog out settings, I understand that the same sound is diverted to Front L/R. With this setting, the vocals became very clear. I went for a crossover setting of 100Hz and I could feel absolutely no shortage of vocals. It was a much better movie viewing experience. Anyway for music the main concentration is on the Front L/R.
BTW, the equipment used is very simple. Oppo BDP105 analogue out to Emotiva XPA-5 Amp directly. Front L/R and Center speakers are KEF Reference Series, Sub is a B&W 610 and surrounds are KEF 8iQds.
Is such a setup really preferable? Am I missing out on any settings here. The speaker is a good audiophile grade. So That should not be a problem.
Have anybody tried this ?

People are using a "phantom" center channel. Seems like you just need a center to keep up with your mains.

I have my 105 crossed at 80Hz, my sub is LPF'd at 40Hz. All speakers set as Small. Make sure the speaker distances are accurate. Use an option that is good for you to set the speaker levels.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #6495 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

People are using a "phantom" center channel. Seems like you just need a center to keep up with your mains.

I have my 105 crossed at 80Hz, my sub is LPF'd at 40Hz. All speakers set as Small. Make sure the speaker distances are accurate. Use an option that is good for you to set the speaker levels.
+!
VERY important for crisp and understandable dialogue!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #6496 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes asynchronous usb
post #6497 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

And to answer your earlier questions I am able to setup my networking but barely capable. I have always managed to get it right however. So by reading that on media monkeys faqs I still need something to convert these dsd files? I was under the impression that with media monkey you didnt. I thought if I used Jriver I would need something else as to not use the windows default sound drivers. Man folks I have so much to learn.
Thank you for all the help you guys can give me. I guess I am even more clueless than I thought. smile.gif
post #6498 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 10
Should I be expecting there to be low frequency line level output from the SW surround sound RCA jack on my BDP 105 if I am using the analog XLR analog outs connected directly to my Atma-sphere mono blocks in a strictly 2 channel stereo setup? I would like to add a low frequency driver with no crossover driven by a separate amplifier to my 2 channel system. So far trying this arrangement has not worked. There is no output from the SW RCA jack. I have searched and tried forum thread suggestions looking for help. I have used the test tone provided in the Oppo configurations. There is nothing coming out of the SW jack no matter what I have tried. I have downloaded the latest firmware upgrade. It seems the surround sound outputs are active in 5.1 and 7.1 while I am using the XLR outs, checking with the configuration test tone. EXCEPT for the SW output.

I apologize if I have replied /posted my question in the wrong place or manner.
den701
post #6499 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to answer your earlier questions I am able to setup my networking but barely capable. I have always managed to get it right however. So by reading that on media monkeys faqs I still need something to convert these dsd files? I was under the impression that with media monkey you didnt. I thought if I used Jriver I would need something else as to not use the windows default sound drivers. Man folks I have so much to learn.
Thank you for all the help you guys can give me. I guess I am even more clueless than I thought. smile.gif

We ALL knew nothing about nothing when we ALL started this thing called life. You learn as you go.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #6500 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den701 View Post

Should I be expecting there to be low frequency line level output from the SW surround sound RCA jack on my BDP 105 if I am using the analog XLR analog outs connected directly to my Atma-sphere mono blocks in a strictly 2 channel stereo setup? I would like to add a low frequency driver with no crossover driven by a separate amplifier to my 2 channel system. So far trying this arrangement has not worked. There is no output from the SW RCA jack. I have searched and tried forum thread suggestions looking for help. I have used the test tone provided in the Oppo configurations. There is nothing coming out of the SW jack no matter what I have tried. I have downloaded the latest firmware upgrade. It seems the surround sound outputs are active in 5.1 and 7.1 while I am using the XLR outs, checking with the configuration test tone. EXCEPT for the SW output.

I apologize if I have replied /posted my question in the wrong place or manner.
den701

Do you have the main speakers set to Small? Sub turned ON in Speaker Configuration? Sub plugged in? Power to outlet?

post #6501 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post

In earlier post he seemed to be saying he was using the asynchronous USB port (see posts 6474,6475).

Ah.  Well, that one won't do DSD anyway.

lanping09 likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6502 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 16
Quick question prior to upgrading to new firmware. I have see in prior post that it is advisable to write down my settings. Exactly what setting will revert to factory? Also what kind of reset do I need to perform after the upgrade?
post #6503 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
If you do a Reset Factory Defaults all settings will be wiped. I generally recommend writing down anything you did in Speaker Configuration as these are the only settings which you really can't remember off the top of your head or know what to set them to based on your equipment.
post #6504 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Quick question prior to upgrading to new firmware. I have see in prior post that it is advisable to write down my settings. Exactly what setting will revert to factory? Also what kind of reset do I need to perform after the upgrade?

The BDP-103 Settings Checklist shows the default values after a Reset Factory Default.

You have the choice of resetting just the Setup values, or the Setup values plus any online account info. You should wipe the account info if you are selling the player or maybe if your accounts are somehow hosed up and you want to start fresh.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.
post #6505 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

There is no on or off switch on my sub. There is no crossover in the sub. I'm assuming the Oppos' bass management will take care of crossover or roll off needs. Only a low frequency driver wired directly to power amp speaker terminals, main speakers set to small, I checked the sub amp and speaker to make sure they are working with other components, double checked the rca interconnects. Is there another on/off option for the sub somewhere in the Oppos' speaker configuration that I'm overlooking?
Thanks Den
post #6506 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

There is no on or off switch on my sub. There is no crossover in the sub....... Is there another on/off option for the sub somewhere in the Oppos' speaker configuration that I'm overlooking?
Thanks Den
There's just one on/off setting in the speaker configuration for the subwoofer in the Oppo. Make sure it is "on".
post #6507 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Within the Opps' speaker configuration, selecting the subwoofer and opening up sub settings the 5 choices are size (this option does offer an on/off choice but is referring to size?), distance, trim, next speaker, and exit. An on/off option does not appear in this menu.
Where else should I look for a turn on/off subwoofer option.
Thanks Den
post #6508 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Within the Opps' speaker configuration, selecting the subwoofer and opening up sub settings the 5 choices are size (this option does offer an on/off choice but is referring to size?), distance, trim, next speaker, and exit. An on/off option does not appear in this menu.
Where else should I look for a turn on/off subwoofer option.
Thanks Den

Yes...OPPO has it confusing. In the Speaker Configuration Menu, Size = ON. Measure the Distance accurately, set the Trim to whatever level you want to be rocked.

You can go down to Next Speaker. It will take you to Center. Or, highlight Exit and Exit to the bottom center menu and Exit Speaker Configuration from there.

post #6509 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanikp View Post

Since I was having a low vocals problem, decided today to remove the Centre channel speaker. When the Oppo sees that there is no Centre channel in analog out settings, I understand that the same sound is diverted to Front L/R. With this setting, the vocals became very clear ... It was a much better movie viewing experience.

I tried turning off the center channel to listen to Dolby and DTS encoded Blu-Ray sound tracks and had exactly the OPPOSITE experience - the mains played "phantom" center information but it was much lower volume and less intelligible. When running the actual center channel speaker the center channel information is much louder and clearer - I have to set the Oppo L / R channel balance to +6dB to balance with the center.

Mine is connected like your set up - direct connection of XLR outputs to a stereo amp and RCA center output to one channel of an identical stereo amp. Remember there is a difference in gain - My amps allow gain selection for XLR / RCA inputs as balanced outputs have twice the voltage swing. I much prefer using the center channel.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #6510 of 11417 Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Your Ordered Chapters are either corrupt or not compatible with the player. I have no issues with Blu-ray backups or personal MKV and Chapter support.

If you use the GOTO button, does the player allow you to put in a specific timestamp? If not, then your files are likely corrupt. Remux the files and try again. If you are using DLNA or SMB, try using attached USB storage instead.

hmm.. i don't think they are corrupt. other apps play them just fine (VLC, XBMC, JRiver). Media Info shows the chapter detail just fine.

The Oppo - via DLNA from JRiver just does not seem to support chapter skip.

I will try to see if it works from attached storage, but ultimately that is a non-starter. I can live without on the chapters if need be.

Would have to compromise on the audio (> 5.1 does not seem to be supported in MKV) and also hate having to convert subs from PGS to IDX/SUB (Oppo says they have no intention of supporting PGS)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page