Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
Fabiolander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello from France,

I’m received my BDP-105EU 3 days ago and my feelings are very mixed:
I build my first dedicated Home Theater room 15 years ago. I’m use to upgrade my installation every 2 years. Sometime these evolutions came with regression. It is not the case here this unit gets the biggest adavnced features ether made but it gets some bugs.
I use since the beginning HTPC as source because it offers the best flexibility and brings a very quality output via 7.1 analogique output. (foobar + Xonar ).
I had DENON 4011 SACD player connected via DenonLink to a DENON 4810 amplifier it was great but not as SONY SACD player connected to an external DAC (ATOLL DAC200)
I decided to jump to the Oppo BDP-105 because it looks to come with plenty of feature, very good quality and a good price. Could it replaced my DAC200 and enhanced my current installation ?
Let’s see :

  • Unboxing gives a very good first feeling. Oppo put a lot of care to box there units and it is a real pleasure to get the unit out of the box 






    In the hand the unit is heavy and looks all metal made. Excellent finishing, the unit looks better in reality as the picture on the web.





  • Connection
    2x hdmi cables. 1/Amplifier & 1/projector (split mode)
    7.1 analogic cables (bluejeans) to amplifier ext in.
    Stereo cable to anamogic plug.



    I kept the connection of my DAC200 in order to compare DAC quality.
    For my test I used very well-known SACD : Pink Floyd - DSOTM, Norah jones - come away with me and Diana Krall – Look of love.







  • SACD Stéréo listening
    Oppo BDP-105 -> Stereo coax output -> DSD Direct 2.0 -> DENON 4810 -> Stereo Coax IN :
    Well my first feeling is not so good. I didn’t have the Waoooo effect that I expected. The sound is ok but it is clearly behind my Sony SACD player linked to my DAC200.
    The voice of Diana Krall or Norah Jones looks behind musician, the cords doesn’t sound real (like with DAC200). The Diana Krall voice is affected by what I call “SSSSSSSSSSHHHHH” effect : every SSSSSSSSSSS or SSSSSSSSSSHHHHH are so persistent.


    Oppo BDP-105 -> 7.1 Coax Output -> DSD Direct 2.0 -> DENON 4810 -> 7.1 External Coax IN :
    well. I didn't really eared a big difference between stereo or 7.1 output during this test.

    Oppo BDP-105 -> HDMI 2 output -> DSD Direct 2.0 -> DENON 4810 -> HDMI IN :
    I like this one, stills under DAC200 musicality but the combination with the DENON 4810 is warmer. neverless Instruments placement is a bit confuse. At the end, to my ears SONY -> PCM -> DAC200 wins the match.


  • SACD Multi Channel listening
    Here no comparison possible with the stereo dac exept for the voice rendering and overall musicality.
    Oppo BDP-105 -> HDMI 2 -> DSD Direct 7.1 -> Denon 4810 -> HDMI 1 :
    This is what I call a real immersive sound. I listen to DSOTM like ether eared before. Just amazing bubble effect. Despite the voice and musicality still a bit back the DAC200 the incredible surround effects tends to make you forget this bad point.


    Oppo BDP-105 -> 7.1 EXT IN -> DSD Direct 7.1 -> DENON 4810 -> 7.1 EXT IN
    Same great bubble effect as the HDMI connection but with more musicality, a bit colder. I have to listen more SACD. I cannot say which one I prefer.

  • SACD Stéréo -> External DAC = KO
    Just for fun I tried to connect the Coax output of the Oppo BDP-105 to my DAC200 but it doesn’t work. No sound at all. I tried with PCM conversion, 192, 96 or 48 but still no sound.
    I received the same feedback from people on a French forum ( homecinema-fr.com ) with different DAC.
    It looks not possible to use an external DAC for SACD reading ( It works with CD, MP3, network files, …)
    Do you confirm on your side ?


  • Networks test (problems begin)

    • Oppo BDP-105 is able to connect to Windows or SMB shared drive but once connected to the shared directory ( Win7 64bits) it doesn’t see any files ( flac, flac hd, mp3, …).
      I don’t think it is a security right issue but not 200% sure.
      Do you have such issue?

    • When connected to foobar server it can read MP3, Flac or flac HD but it doesn’t recognized .dts or ISO files. So no way to read SACD RIP or .DTS files. (The same issue from USB drive).
    • When browsing a large directory of files (around 8000 titles) time to time my remote hangs.
      I have to disconnect the unit power supply in order to be able to use it again.
  • BlueRay Movie
    I don’t have 4K or 3D diffusor so I can talk only about 1080P.
    Image and surround effect quality is just incredible. Yesss the Waoooo effect is here !!!
    This is a big step forward compare to my HTPC nvidia output.

    Nerveless Blueray takes around 1 minute to start with many switch activation / desactivation sounds. ( CLAC! CLIC! CLIC! CLAC!). I had a lot of problems to start StarWars 4, the selection menu doesn’t appear. I had to switch off and witch on the oppo 105 with the blueray inside in order to be able to read it.

  • HTPC connected to Oppo BDP105 HDMI in.
    For me this the BEST feature of this modele.
    Movie Image and surrounds quality have been enhanced. It is just fantastic it adds the OPPO rendering to my HTPC files!!!!
    Using this connection and foobar I can read every ISO or .DTS files thru the OPPO 105 but I got strange behaviour: Stereo files are read as 7.1 surround music files. When I force stereo reading ( Oppo 105 menu> Audio > downmix to stereo or lt/lr ) the voice seem to come from the right speaker only.
    Any comment or idea to solve this issue is welcome.


    To recap this is my +/- list :
    • + HDMI IN allows connecting a HTPC and using Oppo DBP-105 rendering. Just amazing! (Despite the bug described above)
    • + Stunning image quality
    • +Incredible surround effect with SACD Multi Channel or Blueray.
    • +Very very good overall built quality ( Box, Metal, connectors, …)

    • -DAC not as good as my external DAC (Atoll DAC 200)
    • -SACD reading cannot use external DAC (DSD or PCM same issue)
    • -Blueray start is a bit long and noisy and crash sometime
    • - Can’t read .ISO file
    • - Can’t read .dts files ( extension mandatory for foobar)
    • -Can’t read files in a windows shared drive ( but it able to connect to)
    • -Strange 7.1 surround upscaling from stereo files.

      I hope the next firmware update will solve these issues.
Fabiolander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JonStatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiolander View Post

[*]SACD Stéréo -> External DAC = KO
Just for fun I tried to connect the Coax output of the Oppo BDP-105 to my DAC200 but it doesn’t work. No sound at all. I tried with PCM conversion, 192, 96 or 48 but still no sound.
I received the same feedback from people on a French forum ( homecinema-fr.com ) with different DAC.
It looks not possible to use an external DAC for SACD reading ( It works with CD, MP3, network files, …)
Do you confirm on your side ?
[[*]BlueRay Movie
I don’t have 4K or 3D diffusor so I can talk only about 1080P.
Image and surround effect quality is just incredible. Yesss the Waoooo effect is here !!!
This is a big step forward compare to my HTPC nvidia output.
[

In terms of connectivity for DSD, I don't believe a single coax output is capable of the bandwidth needed for DSD is it? The ONLY way of getting pure DSD out of the Oppo is using HDMI-2

In terms of Blu-ray video output, unless the Oppo defaults (everything zero) are not truly zero, there should be no difference in the output of one Blu-ray player over another. I know this is a very contentious statement, but after spending days investigating this with my JVC projectors in the past, I came to the conclusions that
1) All things being equal, every Blu-ray player should decode the same mpeg stream exactly the same and provide exactly the same output
2) All things are often not equal, as for example, some Sony Blu-ray players modify the picture even though all settings are zero. Other players apply a level of forced processing (such as sharpening, smoothing, interpolation) even though all settings are zero.

Some processing may appeal and I am not anti-enhancement at all. For example, I thought on Sony's higher end Blu-ray players that the reality creation set to +1 was a very nice enhancement.

Has anyone directly compared the video output of the 95 to a 105 with all picture settings at zero? They "should" be exactly the same. No "wow" moments to have smile.gif
JonStatt is offline  
post #633 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

In terms of connectivity for DSD, I don't believe a single coax output is capable of the bandwidth needed for DSD is it? The ONLY way of getting pure DSD out of the Oppo is using HDMI-2
In terms of Blu-ray video output, unless the Oppo defaults (everything zero) are not truly zero, there should be no difference in the output of one Blu-ray player over another. I know this is a very contentious statement, but after spending days investigating this with my JVC projectors in the past, I came to the conclusions that
1) All things being equal, every Blu-ray player should decode the same mpeg stream exactly the same and provide exactly the same output
2) All things are often not equal, as for example, some Sony Blu-ray players modify the picture even though all settings are zero. Other players apply a level of forced processing (such as sharpening, smoothing, interpolation) even though all settings are zero.
Some processing may appeal and I am not anti-enhancement at all. For example, I thought on Sony's higher end Blu-ray players that the reality creation set to +1 was a very nice enhancement.
Has anyone directly compared the video output of the 95 to a 105 with all picture settings at zero? They "should" be exactly the same. No "wow" moments to have smile.gif

Better picture between 95 and 105 also LPCM vs. bitstreams are all the same AQ and PQ.
Brian-HD is online now  
post #634 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Member
 
ThousandThrills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Geez this player seems complicated but I will be using it as a cd player mostly in stereo and the USB DAC very often, so any news on a Windows 8 driver? because I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows soon and I don't want to dual boot just to use my computer for this. Have a great day. Should be receiving my 105 before Friday I hope. biggrin.gif
ThousandThrills is offline  
post #635 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It's quite possible a driver for Win7 will work with Win8.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #636 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Member
 
ThousandThrills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok thanks, you're probably right as I have tested the free Windows 8 months ago and all worked the same way.
ThousandThrills is offline  
post #637 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Newbie
 
Fabiolander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

In terms of connectivity for DSD, I don't believe a single coax output is capable of the bandwidth needed for DSD is it? The ONLY way of getting pure DSD out of the Oppo is using HDMI-2
In terms of Blu-ray video output, unless the Oppo defaults (everything zero) are not truly zero, there should be no difference in the output of one Blu-ray player over another. I know this is a very contentious statement, but after spending days investigating this with my JVC projectors in the past, I came to the conclusions that
1) All things being equal, every Blu-ray player should decode the same mpeg stream exactly the same and provide exactly the same output
2) All things are often not equal, as for example, some Sony Blu-ray players modify the picture even though all settings are zero. Other players apply a level of forced processing (such as sharpening, smoothing, interpolation) even though all settings are zero.
Some processing may appeal and I am not anti-enhancement at all. For example, I thought on Sony's higher end Blu-ray players that the reality creation set to +1 was a very nice enhancement.
Has anyone directly compared the video output of the 95 to a 105 with all picture settings at zero? They "should" be exactly the same. No "wow" moments to have smile.gif

That's not really true or not really wrong : DSD can be sent via coaxial by using ISO image with foobar but only stereo. My basic Sony SCAD player is able to send PCM to a external DAC.

Oppo cannot send stereo DSD ( I don't know any player able to do it. Only foobar so far ) and It cannot send PCM signal neither ( every basic SACD player can do it)
Fabiolander is offline  
post #638 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ehlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

In terms of connectivity for DSD, I don't believe a single coax output is capable of the bandwidth needed for DSD is it? The ONLY way of getting pure DSD out of the Oppo is using HDMI-2

Sony does not allow unencrypted DSD streams from consumer devices.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ehlarson is offline  
post #639 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Newbie
 
Fabiolander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Sony does not allow unencrypted DSD streams from consumer devices.

DSD no but PCM yes ;-)
Fabiolander is offline  
post #640 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ehlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiolander View Post

Hello from France,
I’m received my BDP-105EU 3 days ago and ...

For my test I used very well-known SACD : Pink Floyd - DSOTM, Norah jones - come away with me and Diana Krall – Look of love.

The Norah Jones disk is not at all a true SACD. It was recorded on analog tape, mastered using 44K 16 sampling and the digital tracks reformatted to SACD. Even worse when it was reformatted the level was raised compressing the sonics.

http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/1104fifth

DSOTM - again analog master and the CD layer has other issues making comparison to the SACD layer invalid.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11649/

The "Look of Love" SACD is a very weird surround mix.

Just a suggestion but maybe this isn't the best material to base a review on.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ehlarson is offline  
post #641 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
yuppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
105 exceeds the 95 in how clean the spectrum looks, if one was to observe the 19kHz + 20kHz spectrum beyond 20kHz.<-agreed

But from 0 to 19kHz, 95 is slightly better than 105.
yuppi is offline  
post #642 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiolander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Sony does not allow unencrypted DSD streams from consumer devices.

DSD no but PCM yes ;-)

Not on Blu-ray players. Different licensing.
--Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #643 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Member
 
djkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiolander View Post

Hello from France,

I like this one, stills under DAC200 musicality but the combination with the DENON 4810 is warmer. neverless Instruments placement is a bit confuse. At the end, to my ears SONY -> PCM -> DAC200 wins the match.

A couple of points on this.

1. You need to burn in the Oppo 105 for at least 24 hours a day for a full week. The unit takes a long time to run in. Anything less is an unfair comparison in my opinion.
2. Why didn't you run the Oppo direct to the power amp through the analogue outputs? You aren't comparing the Oppo at all. You are comparing the Oppo/Denon combination. Personally, I consider the Denon 4810 veiled and muddy and has no place being partnered with an Oppo. The 4810 is a donkey and the 105 is a thoroughbred.
3. You mention "warmth" above. One man's warmth is another man's distortion. I agree if you want a warm sounding dac then the Oppo is not for you. If you value transparency over warmth without digital glare and sterility then consider the 105.
Styln likes this.
djkiwi is offline  
post #644 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

105 exceeds the 95 in how clean the spectrum looks, if one was to observe the 19kHz + 20kHz spectrum beyond 20kHz.<-agreed

But from 0 to 19kHz, 95 is slightly better than 105.

Its a tie ...They look identical for ll intents and purposes.


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmusoke is offline  
post #645 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

The Norah Jones disk is not at all a true SACD. It was recorded on analog tape, mastered using 44K 16 sampling and the digital tracks reformatted to SACD. Even worse when it was reformatted the level was raised compressing the sonics.
http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/1104fifth
DSOTM - again analog master and the CD layer has other issues making comparison to the SACD layer invalid.
http://www.stereophile.com/news/11649/
The "Look of Love" SACD is a very weird surround mix.
Just a suggestion but maybe this isn't the best material to base a review on.

+1 on all counts
Styln is offline  
post #646 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiwi View Post

A couple of points on this.
1. You need to burn in the Oppo 105 for at least 24 hours a day for a full week. The unit takes a long time to run in. Anything less is an unfair comparison in my opinion.
2. Why didn't you run the Oppo direct to the power amp through the analogue outputs? You aren't comparing the Oppo at all. You are comparing the Oppo/Denon combination. Personally, I consider the Denon 4810 veiled and muddy and has no place being partnered with an Oppo. The 4810 is a donkey and the 105 is a thoroughbred.
3. You mention "warmth" above. One man's warmth is another man's distortion. I agree if you want a warm sounding dac then the Oppo is not for you. If you value transparency over warmth without digital glare and sterility then consider the 105.

+1

While I can't speak to the SQ of the Denon 4810, I'll briefly add that I am now running the BDP-105 directly to my amps. It replaces an Audio Research MP-1 multi-channel pre-amp (see below), which certainly qualifies as a show horse. While I do miss some features of the MP-1 (like auto-muting and setting the volume to zero with power-on!), I am very happy with the sound of this newly architected system. Overall, I am finding the BDP-105 to be what I had hoped the BDP-83SE would be, the BDP-95 could be, but never quite achieved: the hub of my audio system.

Styln

http://www.audioresearch.com/MP1.html
http://www.stereophile.com/content/istereophileis-products-2007-2007-joint-multichannel-music-components
http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200410.htm
Styln is offline  
post #647 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Good news regarding using the BDP-105 as a renderer. I listened to music for about 3 hours today, and an hour earlier in the week, and did not experience any problems smile.gif I am using dbPowerAmp's Asset UPnP server on Win7 and Bubble UPnP controller on Android 2.3.4. Originally, I experienced the BDP-105 going silent in the middle of a song, but the counter continuing to progress. Differences from that first poor experience:

The server was UMS: Universal Media Server
The BDP-83 was powered on and on the network
I was making server changes to best accomodate the BDP-105
A fair amount of rebooting was going on: servers, routers, Oppos, PCs, you name it

Today, I just enqueued music from Asset UPnP to the Bubble UPnP playlist and let it play for hours while I worked. Sounded great, with no cut-out biggrin.gif

Yes, for the first time since I replaced my Musical Fidelity 3DCD with an Oppo product I could find and listen to my music collection w/o turning the monitor on. Now it is sad, but true, that when I play a disc, I will STILL have to turn the monitor on to see the name of the song currently playing. So not the perfect disc player replacement, but it certainly offers a lot of features, functionality, and performance for the price.

Styln
Styln is offline  
post #648 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Fabiolander,

In your first test describing the SACD stereo listening, you describe the connection between the Oppo & Denon as stereo "coax" out. Do you mean to say stereo "RCA" out? If so it is confusing because "coax" is usually referred to as a digital connection, such as optical...

vlach is offline  
post #649 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

+1
While I can't speak to the SQ of the Denon 4810, I'll briefly add that I am now running the BDP-105 directly to my amps. It replaces an Audio Research MP-1 multi-channel pre-amp (see below), which certainly qualifies as a show horse. While I do miss some features of the MP-1 (like auto-muting and setting the volume to zero with power-on!), I am very happy with the sound of this newly architected system. Overall, I am finding the BDP-105 to be what I had hoped the BDP-83SE would be, the BDP-95 could be, but never quite achieved: the hub of my audio system.
Styln
http://www.audioresearch.com/MP1.html
http://www.stereophile.com/content/istereophileis-products-2007-2007-joint-multichannel-music-components
http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200410.htm

Very nice; the AR MP-1 is still a top MC analog pre-amp.

From the picture in the above stereophile ref, it looks like an amp. smile.gif

Are you saying that you think the sound is better by going straight from the OPPO 105 to the amp?

Or is it that you're saying that sound is roughly the same?

If the same sound, is it that the OPPO 105 has enough flexibility and an excellent volume control (even though it is digital) to go straight to the amp, whereas the 83SE and 95 did not?

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #650 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Newbie
 
tdhooge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhooge View Post

Bob,
Thanks for the info. It works when I am playing a CD or 2 channel SACD from the Oppo. But when using the Oppo as a USB DAC, no signal is passed to the sub-woofer. I have 5 channels from the oppo connected to an amp, and the SW RCA connection connected to the sub-woofer. When playing a cd the sub has sound, when playing from the USB DAC, no such luck. My speaker configuration is 5.1, all speakers small, sub on, 60Hz crossover.

I got a reply from oppo on this issue:

The Asynchronous USB DAC is done on the I2S bus, so it is not possible to apply any bass management in the player itself. Any bass management needs to be done externally to the player.
tdhooge is offline  
post #651 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Very nice; the AR MP-1 is still a top MC analog pre-amp.
From the picture in the above stereophile ref, it looks like an amp. smile.gif
Are you saying that you think the sound is better by going straight from the OPPO 105 to the amp?
Or is it that you're saying that sound is roughly the same?
If the same sound, is it that the OPPO 105 has enough flexibility and an excellent volume control (even though it is digital) to go straight to the amp, whereas the 83SE and 95 did not?

OtherSongs, I would say it sounds the same, as the MP-1 is really a transparent pre-amp. W/O the MP-1 I am losing the ability to play analogue content. But this is not a big loss as FM tuners are passé and I no longer own, or want to own, records or tapes. I am also losing XLR I/O to the rear channels, which removes some system flexibility, but it was a nice-to-have vs a must have for my system. The volume control is very smooth and quiet, andI find nothing either good or bad to say about it - a good thing. As I understand the ESS paper regarding the 32 bit internal DACs, they preserve SNR for 16 bit content. For 24 bit content, I assume there would be degradation, but the noise floor starts lower, so 24/96 FLAC sounds VERY good to me.

To sum it up, and get to your last question, I'd say that neither the 83SE nor the 95, had the feature set I wanted to make me treat them as other than decks/players. So I never tried direct with either of the older decks. The 105 has DLNA rendering, digital inputs, and an excellent volume control (the 83SE did not). Now the balance has tipped and the 105 is doing a fine job as a MCH pre-amp, a source for discs, network render, and eventually HTPC content.

Hope that covers it,

Styln
Styln is offline  
post #652 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Regnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When connecting the RCA digital-out to an external DAC, only 48k sample rate shows even when playing the 2-channel 96k or 192k music on DVDA discs. Is there a particular setting? I did try all the options on the optical/digital output selections (bitstream and 96k, 192k LCPM).

Thanks.
Regnad is offline  
post #653 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post

When connecting the RCA digital-out to an external DAC, only 48k sample rate shows even when playing the 2-channel 96k or 192k music on DVDA discs. Is there a particular setting? I did try all the options on the optical/digital output selections (bitstream and 96k, 192k LCPM).
Thanks.

I noticed this too.
Brian-HD is online now  
post #654 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sourbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I probably won't get the 105 but am definitely considering the 103.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
sourbeef is offline  
post #655 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post

When connecting the RCA digital-out to an external DAC, only 48k sample rate shows even when playing the 2-channel 96k or 192k music on DVDA discs. Is there a particular setting? I did try all the options on the optical/digital output selections (bitstream and 96k, 192k LCPM).
Thanks.

Perhaps a copyright issue on the particular DVD-A discs?

vlach is offline  
post #656 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
HowardV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhooge View Post

I got a reply from oppo on this issue:
The Asynchronous USB DAC is done on the I2S bus, so it is not possible to apply any bass management in the player itself. Any bass management needs to be done externally to the player.

This could also be why there is no Neo6 on the digital inputs, even when set to 7.1 channels with no downmixing. Neo6 works fine on CD's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post

When connecting the RCA digital-out to an external DAC, only 48k sample rate shows even when playing the 2-channel 96k or 192k music on DVDA discs. Is there a particular setting? I did try all the options on the optical/digital output selections (bitstream and 96k, 192k LCPM).
Thanks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think hi-rez DVD-A and SACD could be passed through either coaxial (RCA) or optical anyway. This is due to copyright and/or bandwidth.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
HowardV is offline  
post #657 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Bardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post

This could also be why there is no Neo6 on the digital inputs, even when set to 7.1 channels with no downmixing. Neo6 works fine on CD's.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think hi-rez DVD-A and SACD could be passed through either coaxial (RCA) or optical anyway. This is due to copyright and/or bandwidth.

Correct.
Bardia is offline  
post #658 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Regnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post

This could also be why there is no Neo6 on the digital inputs, even when set to 7.1 channels with no downmixing. Neo6 works fine on CD's.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think hi-rez DVD-A and SACD could be passed through either coaxial (RCA) or optical anyway. This is due to copyright and/or bandwidth.

I thought the copyright only applied to SACD and standard digital coax is often used for those speeds so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem...
Regnad is offline  
post #659 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
yuppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Take it easy, I just want to say the ture and what I saw.
yuppi is offline  
post #660 of 11519 Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post

I thought the copyright only applied to SACD and standard digital coax is often used for those speeds so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem...

The copyright (limitation to 48khz) applies to DVD-A, regardless of bandwitdh.

vlach is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off