Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6571 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
bwv1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Those of you who play ri-res files through the USB ports, which media player do you use? My 105 will play flash drive files with no problems, but it won't play them from a 2 GB HP Pocket Media Drive. It's formatted as NTFS. Not only will it not play, it locks up and and I have to turn it off!!

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
bwv1080 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6572 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Those of you who play ri-res files through the USB ports, which media player do you use? My 105 will play flash drive files with no problems, but it won't play them from a 2 GB HP Pocket Media Drive. It's formatted as NTFS. Not only will it not play, it locks up and and I have to turn it off!!

You don't want a "media player", just simple storage. Any drive will work. IOW, a thumb drive or HDD.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #6573 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Those of you who play ri-res files through the USB ports, which media player do you use? My 105 will play flash drive files with no problems, but it won't play them from a 2 GB HP Pocket Media Drive. It's formatted as NTFS. Not only will it not play, it locks up and and I have to turn it off!!

Be sure and upgrade to the latest firmware as there was a recent upgrade improving compatibility with large HDDs.

Styln
Styln is offline  
post #6574 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
bwv1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I upgraded to the latest firmware two days ago.

@ rdgrimes--I used the wrong term...it's just a storage device. My wife's Western Digital "My Passport" device works, so I'll get one of those.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
bwv1080 is offline  
post #6575 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Member
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having some challenges with the digital optical input on the BDP-105 connected to a Panasonic TC-P55VT50 plasma. It seems that the analog audio output from the oppo is always "lagging behind" compared to the built-in audio from the TV set. (using latest 0719 fw)

Said another way, I can't seem to sync the OTA TV audio out correctly from the plasma via optical no matter if the oppo is set to -100 through +200 delay -- sound is always lagging on the oppo.

I've tried multiple glass cables out the plasma optical with no differences observed.

Is there a possibility that the minus sync on the oppo is actually going positive in delay? (ie the minus sync is reversed from intended in the firmware operation) It is easy to test this effect and observe when playing the OTA TV on the built-in TV speakers.

Using in a 2ch setup. Have tried pure direct, monkeying with all the distance, delays, etc. to no avail just yet.

The main reason for purchasing the BDP-105 was to use the optical decoding input on the unit with the limited audio options on the panny plasma (tv with no analog output?!). Trying to keep the # of components to a minimum in the bedroom setup.

The TV digital output is verified to work perfectly in sync when using a low budget DA34 optical decoder unit - so the TV and optical cable are not likely the issue.

Any help would be great. Possibly a verification on the audio sync behavior with optical and/or a wider sync range? Thank you.
Stevo is offline  
post #6576 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
classicrecording's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I think you need to shut off the Oppo after each change so that it can take hold.

There should be some difference in the audio sync when the settings have been changed.
classicrecording is online now  
post #6577 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Having some challenges with the digital optical input on the BDP-105 connected to a Panasonic TC-P55VT50 plasma. It seems that the analog audio output from the oppo is always "lagging behind" compared to the built-in audio from the TV set. (using latest 0719 fw)

Said another way, I can't seem to sync the OTA TV audio out correctly from the plasma via optical no matter if the oppo is set to -100 through +200 delay -- sound is always lagging on the oppo.

I've tried multiple glass cables out the plasma optical with no differences observed.

Is there a possibility that the minus sync on the oppo is actually going positive in delay? (ie the minus sync is reversed from intended in the firmware operation) It is easy to test this effect and observe when playing the OTA TV on the built-in TV speakers.

Using in a 2ch setup. Have tried pure direct, monkeying with all the distance, delays, etc. to no avail just yet.

The main reason for purchasing the BDP-105 was to use the optical decoding input on the unit with the limited audio options on the panny plasma (tv with no analog output?!). Trying to keep the # of components to a minimum in the bedroom setup.

The TV digital output is verified to work perfectly in sync when using a low budget DA34 optical decoder unit - so the TV and optical cable are not likely the issue.

Any help would be great. Possibly a verification on the audio sync behavior with optical and/or a wider sync range? Thank you.

Why not use an HDMI cable?

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is offline  
post #6578 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Why not use an HDMI cable?
Not sure that the TV has the capability to output sound via the HDMI cable for the built-in OTA antenna setting. But would be great to try if you think it is compatible. (somehow via ARC?) Thanks.
Stevo is offline  
post #6579 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I suspect he's trying to feed the Dolby Digital 5.1 from HD broadcasts to the Oppo for handling. If it's like older Panasonics, the only way to get 5.1 from HD broadcasts is via optical out. I am guessing he is using the Panny for off-the-air reception, rather than cable or satellite.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #6580 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

I think you need to shut off the Oppo after each change so that it can take hold.

There should be some difference in the audio sync when the settings have been changed.
Good suggestion, thank you. Here are the quick results, turning off the oppo in-between cycle settings:
-100 av sync: more lag between OTA TV and oppo.
-50 av sync: some lag between OTA TV and oppo
0 av sync: least lag between OTA TV and oppo
+50 av sync: some lag between OTA TV and oppo
+100 av sync: more lag between OTA TV and oppo

At no time was the oppo ever "equal" to the TV audio sync. Close, but easily observable and wife is annoyed with the delay too. Performed retry with the cheapie REI DA34 optical converter and sound was perfectly in sync. It is like as if the oppo is taking too long to process the digital signal in comparison. (the DA34 analog out sound quality is about as good as its $0.03 circuitry unfortunately). I assume that it is against physics to ever be "ahead" of the TV, but it ought to be able to "equal" the sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I suspect he's trying to feed the Dolby Digital 5.1 from HD broadcasts to the Oppo for handling. If it's like older Panasonics, the only way to get 5.1 from HD broadcasts is via optical out. I am guessing he is using the Panny for off-the-air reception, rather than cable or satellite.
Right on track JazzGuyy. TV has no analog out so optical seems to be the only option. Just looking for optimal sound quality with the built in HD OTA tuner.
Stevo is offline  
post #6581 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Not sure that the TV has the capability to output sound via the HDMI cable for the built-in OTA antenna setting. But would be great to try if you think it is compatible. (somehow via ARC?) Thanks.

Exactly. It should work with ARC.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is offline  
post #6582 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

The problem with a "phantom center" is that off axis listeners will hear more dialog coming from the speaker they are closest to and it won't anchor perfectly to the center of the video monitor / screen. Only the listener in the sweet spot will hear perfectly centered dialog.

Yes, I'm sure I saved the settings. With all channels set to 0dB in the Oppo speaker setup and the center channel turned on I get MUCH louder / clearer center channel information. Then when I turn off the center channel to get "phantom center" info from the L/R main speakers, I hear the center channel info coming from both L/R main speakers, but it is much softer. But I have a LARGER / more efficient speaker in the center than the L/R mains with exactly the same power going to all three. Sounds like your center channel is smaller / possibly less efficient than your mains - that may be the difference.

If you have a Cary Cinema 11a why aren't you using HDMI from the Oppo and using the decoding in the Cary? I am using the surround decoder in the Oppo 105 (and its internal volume control) with its outputs directly connected to amps but only because I don't have a multi-channel preamp with surround decoding. I wouldn't mind having one so I could try Dolby Pro Logic IIx which your Cary has!

The KEF 107/2s are indeed much larger than the 102s, but the efficiency is about the same and I balanced the levels with an SPL meter.

The Cinema 11a digital processing is buggy. Initially, I abandoned HDMI because the 11a didn't distinguish PCM from DSD and thus provided no bass management for PCM. Since I acquired the 107/2s I no longer need the subs for music, but HDMI comes with clicks and pops. So I essentially use the 11a as a switch with volume control, except the Sony XA 5400ES uses HDMI.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP & Oppo BDP-105
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
dbphd is offline  
post #6583 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

Hello Gents,
I checked the Manual, this thread and FAQ's and didn't see my specific question discussed. I'm in the process of running an HDMI cable from my DVR over to the 105's HDMI-IN on the rear panel for best PQ, but I'm wondering if the DVR audio will then get from the 105 over to my AVR, on its own, if not, I guess I still need to run a seperate dedicated audio feed of some type from the DVR to the receiver for audio. Does anyone know if that is what I need to do? The Direct TV DVR is an older Model HR22-100. I spoke to Direct TV last night and asked them if there would be any benefit to changing that DVR out to a newer one I have. I have both a HR21-700 and an HR24-500 DVR in other rooms in the house but Direct TV says they are all the same and there would be no benefit in PQ or SQ by swapping in the newest one (HR24-500)? Anyone have a different perspective on this? As always, any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rob

I've been offline for a couple of days. Sorry if this has already been answered, but HDMI in to your 105 from a DirecTV DVR will provide both excellent video and audio. Some stations or programs exaggerate the LF, so you may need to attenuate a sub.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP & Oppo BDP-105
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
dbphd is offline  
post #6584 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally Posted by Stevo

Not sure that the TV has the capability to output sound via the HDMI cable for the built-in OTA antenna setting. But would be great to try if you think it is compatible. (somehow via ARC?) Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Exactly. It should work with ARC.

Mongo, your suggestion worked very well. There is much less lag when using the ARC HDMI mode from the TV. Not quite exact sync but much improved over the optical input. A few extra buttons required to press to engage the mode, but otherwise a great alternative. Thank you for your help.
Stevo is offline  
post #6585 of 11417 Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Originally Posted by Stevo

Not sure that the TV has the capability to output sound via the HDMI cable for the built-in OTA antenna setting. But would be great to try if you think it is compatible. (somehow via ARC?) Thanks.
Mongo, your suggestion worked very well. There is much less lag when using the ARC HDMI mode from the TV. Not quite exact sync but much improved over the optical input. A few extra buttons required to press to engage the mode, but otherwise a great alternative. Thank you for your help.

Nice! Glad it worked for you.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is offline  
post #6586 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
bwv1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A while back I reported that I wasn't happy with the 105's analog outs and thought I found the solution by turning down the center: that wasn't quite enough. I just discovered through another forum that I wasn't properly connecting the Oppo via analog! I need to use the dedicated stereo outs for the front left/right and change the mixdown to Fl/FR in the Oppo's Audio Processing menu (but continue with the center/surround/subwoofer outs as usual). Wow--now I regained all the lost detail and spatiality and maintained the warmth.

Anyway, don't immediately assume that simply connecting the dedicated m-ch outs is the way to go!

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
bwv1080 is offline  
post #6587 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Member
 
beatmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the HR/24/500 DTV and am very happy with PQ results. I've HDMI'd this unit through a modified Onkyo , then through the 105 and it's night and day.
beatmachine is offline  
post #6588 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A while back I reported that I wasn't happy with the 105's analog outs and thought I found the solution by turning down the center: that wasn't quite enough. I just discovered through another forum that I wasn't properly connecting the Oppo via analog! I need to use the dedicated stereo outs for the front left/right and change the mixdown to Fl/FR in the Oppo's Audio Processing menu (but continue with the center/surround/subwoofer outs as usual). Wow--now I regained all the lost detail and spatiality and maintained the warmth.

bwv1080, good post, I finished adding my 7.1 analog outs on Friday. I had a couple of other issues but both Bob and Dan, helped me out greatly. With regard to the SQ of the analog outs, I was initially not overwelmed. After reading your post, I went back and checked my settings (wiring was already correct, I did use the RCA dedicated stereo outs. Within the settings, I had 7.1 selected in the down-mix. I changed to FL/FR, as indicated in your post and seemed to notice a slight improvement in SQ, but I still believe the HDMI connection, sounds much better. It is a much more detailed and wide sound stage. I put on Dire Straits 20th Anniversary "Brothers in Arms" SACD and listened to it in DSD. I was VERY impressed. I've never heard anything coming out of my system that sounded this good! I am hoping there is another adjustment in either hardware or software that I am missing that will enable the analog SQ to surpass this Awesome HDMI sound I am now getting!

Best Regards,

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
post #6589 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

A while back I reported that I wasn't happy with the 105's analog outs and thought I found the solution by turning down the center: that wasn't quite enough. I just discovered through another forum that I wasn't properly connecting the Oppo via analog! I need to use the dedicated stereo outs for the front left/right and change the mixdown to Fl/FR in the Oppo's Audio Processing menu (but continue with the center/surround/subwoofer outs as usual). Wow--now I regained all the lost detail and spatiality and maintained the warmth.

bwv1080, good post, I finished adding my 7.1 analog outs on Friday. I had a couple of other issues but both Bob and Dan, helped me out greatly. With regard to the SQ of the analog outs, I was initially not overwelmed. After reading your post, I went back and checked my settings (wiring was already correct, I did use the RCA dedicated stereo outs. Within the settings, I had 7.1 selected in the down-mix. I changed to FL/FR, as indicated in your post and seemed to notice a slight improvement in SQ, but I still believe the HDMI connection, sounds much better. It is a much more detailed and wide sound stage. I put on Dire Straits 20th Anniversary "Brothers in Arms" SACD and listened to it in DSD. I was VERY impressed. I've never heard anything coming out of my system that sounded this good! I am hoping there is another adjustment in either hardware or software that I am missing that will enable the analog SQ to surpass this Awesome HDMI sound I am now getting!

Best Regards,

Rob
Rob, I don't think setting Oppo's "downmix" in the speaker configuration from 7.1 to LT/RT is desirable for your setup. That setting would mix the center and surround channels into the front left/right speaker matrix. There's another 105 setting that users forget about (or get misdirected) that you should adjust, especially if you're re-routing your front left and right speaker cables out of Oppo's dedicated 2-channel rca/xlr connections. The setting is called "stereo signal" in the Audio Processing menu. It defaults to "Down-mixed Stereo", but in your setup, you should set it to "Front Left/Right", which will direct the original Front Left(FL) and Front Right(FR) signals to be sent out to the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multi channel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone2 output. When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch/5.1ch/Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected.

bwv1080, this should apply to you also, since you said you're now using Oppo's dedicated 2-chan analog section for your multi-chan music.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #6590 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
bwv1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Rob, I don't think setting Oppo's "downmix" in the speaker configuration from 7.1 to LT/RT is desirable for your setup. That setting would mix the center and surround channels into the front left/right speaker matrix. There's another 105 setting that users forget about (or get misdirected) that you should adjust, especially if you're re-routing your front left and right speaker cables out of Oppo's dedicated 2-channel rca/xlr connections. The setting is called "stereo signal" in the Audio Processing menu. It defaults to "Down-mixed Stereo", but in your setup, you should set it to "Front Left/Right", which will direct the original Front Left(FL) and Front Right(FR) signals to be sent out to the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multi channel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone2 output. When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch/5.1ch/Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected.

bwv1080, this should apply to you also, since you said you're now using Oppo's dedicated 2-chan analog section for your multi-chan music.

I'm using the "Front Left/Right" setting. "Mixdown" was an improper term choice.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
bwv1080 is offline  
post #6591 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

A while back I reported that I wasn't happy with the 105's analog outs and thought I found the solution by turning down the center: that wasn't quite enough. I just discovered through another forum that I wasn't properly connecting the Oppo via analog! I need to use the dedicated stereo outs for the front left/right and change the mixdown to Fl/FR in the Oppo's Audio Processing menu (but continue with the center/surround/subwoofer outs as usual). Wow--now I regained all the lost detail and spatiality and maintained the warmth.

bwv1080, good post, I finished adding my 7.1 analog outs on Friday. I had a couple of other issues but both Bob and Dan, helped me out greatly. With regard to the SQ of the analog outs, I was initially not overwelmed. After reading your post, I went back and checked my settings (wiring was already correct, I did use the RCA dedicated stereo outs. Within the settings, I had 7.1 selected in the down-mix. I changed to FL/FR, as indicated in your post and seemed to notice a slight improvement in SQ, but I still believe the HDMI connection, sounds much better. It is a much more detailed and wide sound stage. I put on Dire Straits 20th Anniversary "Brothers in Arms" SACD and listened to it in DSD. I was VERY impressed. I've never heard anything coming out of my system that sounded this good! I am hoping there is another adjustment in either hardware or software that I am missing that will enable the analog SQ to surpass this Awesome HDMI sound I am now getting!

Best Regards,

Rob

Does anyone have any measured proof that this works with the Dedicated Analog Outputs?

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is offline  
post #6592 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Dan, I set everything up as suggested and everything works well., except the main Front speakers aren't outputting any sound when set to Multi-channel while listening to a SACD. A quick switch to HDMI and all is well, I get 5.1. I've checked all settings and everything appears set correctly. Not sure why I'm good over HDMI with 5.1 but not while using the analog outs, the front mains aren't playing.... I've been working with this all day, I think I'll give my brain some rest and try to re-think this thing in the morning. smile.gif

Best regards,

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
post #6593 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
bwv1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

Thanks Dan, I set everything up as suggested and everything works well., except the main Front speakers aren't outputting any sound when set to Multi-channel while listening to a SACD. A quick switch to HDMI and all is well, I get 5.1. I've checked all settings and everything appears set correctly. Not sure why I'm good over HDMI with 5.1 but not while using the analog outs, the front mains aren't playing.... I've been working with this all day, I think I'll give my brain some rest and try to re-think this thing in the morning. smile.gif

Best regards,

Rob

Does your preamp have dedicated 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs? On my Marantz, I have to assign them to a particular component.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
bwv1080 is offline  
post #6594 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

Thanks Dan, I set everything up as suggested and everything works well., except the main Front speakers aren't outputting any sound when set to Multi-channel while listening to a SACD. A quick switch to HDMI and all is well, I get 5.1. I've checked all settings and everything appears set correctly. Not sure why I'm good over HDMI with 5.1 but not while using the analog outs, the front mains aren't playing.... I've been working with this all day, I think I'll give my brain some rest and try to re-think this thing in the morning. smile.gif

Best regards,
Rob
Rob, make sure you activated the proper input on your multi-channel amp/avr? If you have signal from your avr's hdmi input, have you changed your avr's input to the analog inputs designated to your front main speakers? On my amp, I have to activate an input to use it. Its default state is off. Also, keep in mind that by using the hdmi output of the Oppo, you're not using the Oppo's audiophile dacs....you're simply outputting a digital signal to your AVR, which in turn, will use its own dac to play your music. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.
Bookedup likes this.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #6595 of 11417 Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

Thanks Dan, I set everything up as suggested and everything works well., except the main Front speakers aren't outputting any sound when set to Multi-channel while listening to a SACD. A quick switch to HDMI and all is well, I get 5.1. I've checked all settings and everything appears set correctly. Not sure why I'm good over HDMI with 5.1 but not while using the analog outs, the front mains aren't playing.... I've been working with this all day, I think I'll give my brain some rest and try to re-think this thing in the morning. smile.gif

Best regards,

Rob

Start by removing any disc and checking the Analog outputs with the built-in Test Tones in the OPPO. Check that you are actually getting correct output to each speaker. If not, double check you wiring first as you may simply have the RCA cables plugged into the wrong jacks at one end or the other.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #6596 of 11417 Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^ Good Morning,
My Yamaha AVR does have dedicated 5.1 inputs, and there is a selection on both the AVR and the remote to select "MULTI CH" to use them. There is also another setting in the menu that lets you pick "6ch or 8ch". I selected 8 ch because I have all the 7.1's connected to analog out on the 105. So this is where it gets strange, The Yamaha manual goes on to state "If you selected 8ch in "input channels" (which I did) you can select analog jacks at which Front left & right channels from an external decoder will be input. Choices: CD, CD-R, MD/Tape, BD/HD-DVD, DVD, DTV, Cbl/Sat, DVR, VCR, V-Aux". I selected CD-R because it wasn't currently being used. And that's where I input the dedicated Front L/R outputs (good DAC's) from the 105. I don't see anywhere in the manual that I have to tell the AVR which one of the choices I selected. As an aside, out of those several front channel choices, the manual does have DVD bolded. I didn't use it because my PS3 is connected to that. (I could change that if I needed to but Ithought since 9 other choices, I could pick anyone of them. Since the root of the problem is the front L/R don't have any output in when in 7.1 analog mode, I think that is where my issue is. Do you think I need a "Separate Decoder" separate and apart for the AVR? I hope not..... Bob, I did remove all shiny disc;s from the 105 and ran the test tones, all worked but, you guessed it, the same front left and right main speakers. Another solution for me might be (because I really don't want to buy an "external decoder", as I thought the 105 would act as that)) Is to change the AVR back to 6ch and just use 5.1 channels off the 105 and discard the other two. My main purpose for the analog outs on the 105 is to listen to discrete music such as SACD's and its my understanding, they all have only 5.1 anyway. I know this isn't a Yamaha Z-11 forum and that is where I think my issue is, but any wisdom you gents would like to pass on to me is (as always) greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
post #6597 of 11417 Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

^ Good Morning,
My Yamaha AVR does have dedicated 5.1 inputs, and there is a selection on both the AVR and the remote to select "MULTI CH" to use them. There is also another setting in the menu that lets you pick "6ch or 8ch". I selected 8 ch because I have all the 7.1's connected to analog out on the 105. So this is where it gets strange, The Yamaha manual goes on to state "If you selected 8ch in "input channels" (which I did) you can select analog jacks at which Front left & right channels from an external decoder will be input. Choices: CD, CD-R, MD/Tape, BD/HD-DVD, DVD, DTV, Cbl/Sat, DVR, VCR, V-Aux". I selected CD-R because it wasn't currently being used. And that's where I input the dedicated Front L/R outputs (good DAC's) from the 105. I don't see anywhere in the manual that I have to tell the AVR which one of the choices I selected. As an aside, out of those several front channel choices, the manual does have DVD bolded. I didn't use it because my PS3 is connected to that. (I could change that if I needed to but Ithought since 9 other choices, I could pick anyone of them. Since the root of the problem is the front L/R don't have any output in when in 7.1 analog mode, I think that is where my issue is. Do you think I need a "Separate Decoder" separate and apart for the AVR? I hope not..... Bob, I did remove all shiny disc;s from the 105 and ran the test tones, all worked but, you guessed it, the same front left and right main speakers. Another solution for me might be (because I really don't want to buy an "external decoder", as I thought the 105 would act as that)) Is to change the AVR back to 6ch and just use 5.1 channels off the 105 and discard the other two. My main purpose for the analog outs on the 105 is to listen to discrete music such as SACD's and its my understanding, they all have only 5.1 anyway. I know this isn't a Yamaha Z-11 forum and that is where I think my issue is, but any wisdom you gents would like to pass on to me is (as always) greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rob
My suggestion would be to request help in the appropriate thread for your Yamaha AVR over in the receivers/processors forum as the issue has got to be a configuration issue at the AVR end - all of the Oppo's outputs are always active.
gsr is offline  
post #6598 of 11417 Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^ I was able to get the Yamaha working. Thanks to a suggestion from Dan. All 7.1 channels of analog are working on the test tones out of the 105 now. I have to to a little more tweaking to realize the sweet sound I know it is capable of.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.


Best regards,

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
post #6599 of 11417 Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Member
 
btscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post

I have the HR/24/500 DTV and am very happy with PQ results. I've HDMI'd this unit through a modified Onkyo , then through the 105 and it's night and day.

I run video from Directv DVR through 105 and audio through Denon AVP with much better results than video from Directv to AVP or Directv straight to TV.

HT: ATI 1505, ATI 1502, Denon AVP-A1HDCI, Oppo 105, Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII, Focus 200C, Audience 42, SVS PB13-Ultra, Definitive Technology DI 8R, Sharp LC-90LE745U 2-Channel:Krell 400xi, Krell SACD Standard, Logitech Transporter, Dynaudio Focus 360 Outside: NAD 325BEE, Definitive Technology AW6500
btscott is offline  
post #6600 of 11417 Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Process53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lacombe, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott View Post

I run video from Directv DVR through 105 and audio through Denon AVP with much better results than video from Directv to AVP or Directv straight to TV.
I'm getting the same experience running my motorola pvr to the 105 and then on to my tv. The 105 upscales the video from 1080i to 1080p. It is definitely a difference you can see.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
Process53 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off