Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum
First ... 221  222  223 224  225  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 12:03 PM 08-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashjahn View Post

DanF8500, What preamp are you using?
Arash, I have a Mark Levinson 383 integrated. I have listened to music from my 105 through two different modes of my 383. The first being where the 383's preamp is functional. In this mode, I just set the 105's volume to max(100), and control volume with the 383's preamp. I can also set the 383's preamplifier input gain to one of 4 different parameters: 0db, 6db, 12db, 18db. I set my 383 input gain from the Oppo to 6db (for either rca or xlr). The other mode is where I bypass my 383's preamp, which defeats the volume, balance, and input gain settings in the 383. The 383 is now at a fixed gain for that input. In this setup, my 105 becomes the only active preamp, and I adjust its volume accordingly. Even though I don't have the volume resolution on the 105 as I do on my 383, and I also have to be careful about my 105's volume being reset to 100 after firmware upgrades, I prefer this "direct to power amp" mode. I'm a firm believer of less is more when it comes to audio. The 105 preamp-outs direct to my 383's amp section is my preferred listening setup now.

Matteo Barbieri's Avatar Matteo Barbieri 05:12 PM 08-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Hello Matteo. I will try and answer your additional questions. One of the main reasons people want to purchase the 105 is to utilize its internal, audiophile quality dacs(digital to analog converters). When you use any digital(hdmi) connector, you're simply transporting the digital audio/video signal out that connection and converting it to analog on another source, which in your case would be your AVR. That's why I wanted you to use Oppo's dedicated 2-channel analog outputs...to utilize Oppo's dac instead of your avr's dac. As for multi-channel audio, your AVR doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs....so you'll be forced to use an hdmi connection, and decode the digital signal on your avr. If you choose to utilize just the hdmi on your 105, then you will have purchased one expensive digital transport, and as another user suggested to you, the 103 would have been the better choice.

Hi, thanks again for the feedback.
I have done the RCA connection, now I have only to figure out how to configure the AVR so that while playing the analog input it will use the HDMI to display the Oppo menu on the tv set without having to add another HDMI cable / connection
Matteo
akopperl's Avatar akopperl 05:28 AM 08-09-2013
The manual states that the Oppo only handles 96/24 via coaxial. I have a large number of 192/24 files (2-channel). What happens when you try to playback 192/24 files via coaxial? Does the player mute or downsample? It's a shame that coaxial has this limitation.

Thanks
Holzohr's Avatar Holzohr 08:00 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

The manual states that the Oppo only handles 96/24 via coaxial. I have a large number of 192/24 files (2-channel).
Same here. A HDMI-Audio De-embedder was the solution to me. Connected between HDMI Out 2 of the Oppo and Coax In of my Amp (as a DAC) it can pass on the 192/24 from my DVD-A rips and 88,2/24 from SACD and DSD files.

Why don`t you use the analog stereo outputs of the 105? (I have the 103)
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:56 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:

The manual states that the Oppo only handles 96/24 via coaxial. I have a large number of 192/24 files (2-channel). What happens when you try to playback 192/24 files via coaxial? Does the player mute or downsample? It's a shame that coaxial has this limitation.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzohr View Post

Quote:

The manual states that the Oppo only handles 96/24 via coaxial. I have a large number of 192/24 files (2-channel).
Same here. A HDMI-Audio De-embedder was the solution to me. Connected between HDMI Out 2 of the Oppo and Coax In of my Amp (as a DAC) it can pass on the 192/24 from my DVD-A rips and 88,2/24 from SACD and DSD files.

There's no such limitation on Output. The Optical/Coax digital audio outputs (103 or 105) can carry LPCM 2.0 192KHz 24-bit. Just be sure the rate limit for Optical/Coax output is set high enough in Setup. (And that the device you are sending to is OK receiving an input rate that high.)

Have you spotted someplace in the Manual that says differently? The Specifications table at the back of the Manual has it correct.

The actual limitation is on Input. The Optical/Coax digital audio INPUTS on the 105 are limited to 96KHz. If you try to send them 192KHz you will get garbage.

In HOLZHOR's case, the reason he had to jump through this particular hoop is not due to a rate limit on Optical/Coax output, but rather that the particular content he was trying to play (SACD and DVD-A discs) are restricted by the content licensing from output on non-copy-protected digital connections such as Optical/Coax. (His HDMI de-embedder breaks HDMI copy protection.)
--Bob
akopperl's Avatar akopperl 10:03 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:

I would like to connect the coaxial output from a Squeezebox Touch to the 105 and use the 105 as a DAC. As you suggested, I connect the 105's analog outputs to my preamp.

The issue is that I have 192/24 files and I'm not sure how the Oppo would handle those files via coax.

Thanks
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:08 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I would like to connect the coaxial output from a Squeezebox Touch to the 105 and use the 105 as a DAC. As you suggested, I connect the 105's analog outputs to my preamp.

The issue is that I have 192/24 files and I'm not sure how the Oppo would handle those files via coax.

Thanks

You'll need to find a setting in the Squeezebox Touch to limit its Coax output to 96KHz. Otherwise you will get garbage. (The HDMI inputs on the 103/105 are also limited to LPCM 96KHz, but that gets handled automatically by the HDMI handshake between the Source device and the 105.)
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:27 AM 08-09-2013
^ I should add that the best way to play your 192KHz 24-bit stereo files would be to play them as media files -- either via a directly attached hard drive or delivered over your house network from an SMB or DLNA server.
--Bob
Holzohr's Avatar Holzohr 11:21 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There's no such limitation on Output. The Optical/Coax digital audio outputs (103 or 105) can carry LPCM 2.0 192KHz 24-bit. Just be sure the rate limit for Optical/Coax output is set high enough in Setup. (And that the device you are sending to is OK receiving an input rate that high.)

The actual limitation is on Input. The Optical/Coax digital audio INPUTS on the 105 are limited to 96KHz. If you try to send them 192KHz you will get garbage.

Oops, that`s true. For a moment I thought the digital outputs are limited, generally. Thanks, Bob.

Quote:

Quote:

You'll need to find a setting in the Squeezebox Touch to limit its Coax output to 96KHz. Otherwise you will get garbage. (The HDMI inputs on the 103/105 are also limited to LPCM 96KHz, but that gets handled automatically by the HDMI handshake between the Source device and the 105.)

I guess akopperl`s Squeezebox Touch has the EDO app installed? That makes the SBT ready to pass on 176,4 and 192kHz/24bit via Coax output AND it makes the USB connect ready for using an extern USB-DAC. My SBT has installed the app and I was using the 105 (I did a downgrade to the 103 after I bought my Lyngdorf amp) as an extern USB-DAC. The sound was phantastic to my ears. So I recommend to connect the SBT with the 105 via USB (by a "better" USB cable) and activate the output via USB in the SBT setup. After a reboot it should recognize the Oppo as an USB-DAC. A downside might be you have to switch on the Oppo before you switch on the SBT because USB hotplugging doesn`t work.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 11:26 AM 08-09-2013
^ Yes, if his Squeezebox can connect into the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105 that would be another way to play LPCM 2.0 192KHz 24-bit through the 105.

That's a Direct-to-DAC playback path, so no audio processing will be possible in the 105 -- e.g., no Crossover processing, etc.
--Bob
akopperl's Avatar akopperl 11:49 AM 08-09-2013
Quote:

^ I should add that the best way to play your 192KHz 24-bit stereo files would be to play them as media files -- either via a directly attached hard drive or delivered over your house network from an SMB or DLNA server.
--Bob

If I went the NAS route, what software do you recommend to control music playback?

Thanks
Holzohr's Avatar Holzohr 02:00 PM 08-09-2013
Quote:

If I went the NAS route, what software do you recommend to control music playback?
For Android the BubbleUPnP app is nice. Is gapless playback important for you? Then the Oppo (still) can not replace your Touch. Gapless playback only works via CUE sheet and smb.
BL2012's Avatar BL2012 02:11 PM 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Anyone notice that the gaps between tracks played from an NAS are even longer now with the new firmware? I'm using a Lacie Wireless Network Space 2TB NAS and I don't use cue sheets because I'm holding out for them to either add branching cue sheet support or proper gapless, hopefully the latter.

I do have the same problem with the new firmware: when pushing (DLNA renderer, wired network) FLAC files, it takes around 8-10 seconds to go from one track to another one. I think it took no more than 3-4 seconds before. For comparison, it takes less than to 2 seconds when pushing the same files to Foobar2000 with its UPnP plugin, which by the way is gapless. Strangely, it seems only affect FLAC files: there is no problem with MP3 files. Even more strange, it affects FLAC files with numerous (around 25) items in their ID-tag, but not FLAC files with a few (8-9) items in their ID-tag.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 02:43 PM 08-09-2013
^ Do you have GraceNote enabled? I wonder if it is trying to go out to the network for info, even though FLAC is probably still not supported for that?
--Bob
falconsprint's Avatar falconsprint 08:48 PM 08-09-2013
I have a media center PC. I route the HDMI out of the PC to the back panel HDMI input of the BDP-105. The HDMI output 1 to my TV. When I look at text on browser pages or windows explorer I see color artifacts in the fonts. Typically the same color as the predominant color on the screen. When I connect the HDMI out of the PC directly to the TV I don't see the color artifacts. I've tried swapping out the HDMI cables to a different set and no help. I'd like to use the BDP-105 as a pre-amp/processor but the text coloring isn't acceptable. I keep thinking the word has been highlighted as a web-link when in fact it is not.

I'm starting to think this might be a hardware defect and I should contact Oppo. Been very busy lately during the day so I keep forgetting.
BrolicBeast's Avatar BrolicBeast 08:56 PM 08-09-2013
Quote:

Did you remember to set the Subwoofer to ON in Speaker Configuration? Did you double check that the jack you are plugged into is really the Subwoofer jack?

Remove any disc and use the built-in Test Tones in Speaker Configuration to make sure all speakers and the Subwoofer are cabled correctly.

Then use an audio calibration disc (I recommend the LPCM test tracks on AIX's Audio Calibration, Blu-ray) and an SPL meter to adjust the volume knob on your sub to match the level of the other speaker channels when using Analog output from the OPPO.

I'm going to bet that you don't have the Subwoofer's volume knob set correctly yet for use with the multi-channel Analog outputs.
--Bob

See, that's just it--I'm not currently using a sub.  I'm running a 5.0 setup (until next week) with each speaker operating as full range.  Through HDMI, my mains & center have great bass performance (dual 12" woofers in each cabinet), but the bass is anemic through the milti-channel outputs.  When I first gave analog a shot last month, I did use the built-in test tones to make sure the wiring was right (I'm glad I did, because my left and right channels were crossed).

Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:07 PM 08-09-2013
^ OK, then did you remember to turn Subwoofer OFF in the Analog Speaker Configuration? If not, then LFE, plus any bass steered from SMALL speakers, is going out that unconnected Subwoofer jack and falling in a heap to the floor.

Try this: Set all speakers LARGE, except Subwoofer OFF, and set Crossover 120Hz.

Now check with a calibration disc, such as the 5.1 LPCM test track from AIX, Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, to see what output you are getting for the LFE channel compared to the normal LF/RF channels.

Other things to confirm are that you have Dynamic Range Control OFF and DTS Neo:6 Mode OFF.
--Bob
falconsprint's Avatar falconsprint 09:37 PM 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsprint View Post

I have a media center PC. I route the HDMI out of the PC to the back panel HDMI input of the BDP-105. The HDMI output 1 to my TV. When I look at text on browser pages or windows explorer I see color artifacts in the fonts. Typically the same color as the predominant color on the screen. When I connect the HDMI out of the PC directly to the TV I don't see the color artifacts. I've tried swapping out the HDMI cables to a different set and no help. I'd like to use the BDP-105 as a pre-amp/processor but the text coloring isn't acceptable. I keep thinking the word has been highlighted as a web-link when in fact it is not.

I'm starting to think this might be a hardware defect and I should contact Oppo. Been very busy lately during the day so I keep forgetting.

I see them same problem with the HDMI port on the front.
BL2012's Avatar BL2012 08:19 AM 08-10-2013
Quote:

^ Do you have GraceNote enabled? I wonder if it is trying to go out to the network for info, even though FLAC is probably still not supported for that?
--Bob

No, GraceNote is disabled.
Besides, note that I have the european model (BDP-105EU).
Meffy's Avatar Meffy 08:40 AM 08-10-2013
Hello ppl,im new to this forum,i have a question to you guys regarding dedicated stereo.I've just purchased myself an Oppo BDP-105 and a Marantz av 8801, and i would like to use to play my cd disks (beside HT) as if it would be a standalone HI-FI deticated stereo system,means play stereo music to use my FL/FR speakers (Monitor Audio RX8) full range,with bass as i said as if it was a dedicated hifi standalone system, i don't want to engage my subwoofer,only pure stereo.What settings do i need to change in the Oppo and Marantz av8801.And whats the best cable i could use for a perfect SQ.Right now i have Chord Anthem2 RCA cables which are connected from a Rotel RCD-1520 cd-player to a Rotel RC-1580 Stereo Preamp then to Rotel RB-1572 power amp (also chord anthem2 RCA cables).Would those cables be enough for a perfect stereo SQ or would lt better to buy some XLR cables instead? If the case is so (XLR), would it be better then?(connect xlr from oppo to Marantz av8801)?But then again,my power amps (Rotel RB-1572 and Rotel RMB-1575) ain't supporting XLR only RCA.

Thanks for taking your time guys to read my question.Hopefully someone can guide me to this sollution.

Regards

Meffy
tdo722's Avatar tdo722 11:42 AM 08-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post

Hello ppl,im new to this forum,i have a question to you guys regarding dedicated stereo.I've just purchased myself an Oppo BDP-105 and a Marantz av 8801, and i would like to use to play my cd disks (beside HT) as if it would be a standalone HI-FI deticated stereo system,means play stereo music to use my FL/FR speakers (Monitor Audio RX8) full range,with bass as i said as if it was a dedicated hifi standalone system, i don't want to engage my subwoofer,only pure stereo.What settings do i need to change in the Oppo and Marantz av8801.And whats the best cable i could use for a perfect SQ.Right now i have Chord Anthem2 RCA cables which are connected from a Rotel RCD-1520 cd-player to a Rotel RC-1580 Stereo Preamp then to Rotel RB-1572 power amp (also chord anthem2 RCA cables).Would those cables be enough for a perfect stereo SQ or would lt better to buy some XLR cables instead? If the case is so (XLR), would it be better then?(connect xlr from oppo to Marantz av8801)?But then again,my power amps (Rotel RB-1572 and Rotel RMB-1575) ain't supporting XLR only RCA.

Thanks for taking your time guys to read my question.Hopefully someone can guide me to this sollution.

Regards

Meffy

First of all, I'd like to thank Bob for helping me with the speakers config. To answer your question Meffy, this is what I am using to achieve best audio quality.

1. Laptop USB to USBDAC on bdp-105 and then from bdp-105 directly into anthem rca and into speakers (music setup playing FLAC files and if you are playing SACDs then use the oppo directly)
2. Movies on Laptop, I have to use HDMI out from laptop to HDMI in bdp-105, then again directly to anthem and also a NAD (surround amp)

Basically I use the BDP-105 as a pre-amp. My audio link is very simple.
wse's Avatar wse 11:54 AM 08-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo722 View Post

First of all, I'd like to thank Bob for helping me with the speakers config. To answer your question Meffy, this is what I am using to achieve best audio quality.
1. Laptop USB to USBDAC on bdp-105 and then from bdp-105 directly into anthem rca and into speakers (music setup playing FLAC files and if you are playing SACDs then use the oppo directly)
2. Movies on Laptop, I have to use HDMI out from laptop to HDMI in bdp-105, then again directly to anthem and also a NAD (surround amp)

Basically I use the BDP-105 as a pre-amp. My audio link is very simple.

How do you like using the BDP-105 as a Preamp, compared to a full AV Pre/Pro?
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 01:58 PM 08-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsprint View Post

You should check your settings in the "HDMI Options" sub-menu of the "Video Setup" menu. Your hdmi output from your media center pc should be sending an rgb color space, so you might want to try setting your 105's hdmi 1 output to "rgb pc level". Just a thought....couldn't hurt to try.
detroit1's Avatar detroit1 03:03 PM 08-10-2013
since the latest beta firmware, has anyone else had the problem of all video files showing the same time when you press info?

this has happened several times in a row now. It never happened with the OPPO before the last firmware

it causes problems because many times you can't fast forward the files to a specific point; last time it was showing all files to be 3:30 and if you play a 5 or 10 minute file you can't forward beyond 3:30 because it thinks the file is only that long

again, this Never happened before this firmware
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 03:30 PM 08-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

since the latest beta firmware, has anyone else had the problem of all video files showing the same time when you press info?

this has happened several times in a row now. It never happened with the OPPO before the last firmware

it causes problems because many times you can't fast forward the files to a specific point; last time it was showing all files to be 3:30 and if you play a 5 or 10 minute file you can't forward beyond 3:30 because it thinks the file is only that long

again, this Never happened before this firmware

Local storage, SMB, DLNA, or all three? Best report it to OPPO, regardless. I'm not seeing that.

-Bill
detroit1's Avatar detroit1 03:51 PM 08-10-2013
all my files are from external hard drive and this is mostly m2ts and ts files

again, this was Not happening with the earlier firmware
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering 04:13 PM 08-10-2013
I just did a backup of one of my movies to MKV. When I tried to play it via the 105 from an external hard drive it plays fine, but for some reason it plays back as 1080p60. Does MKV not do 24p with Blu-ray??
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 04:21 PM 08-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I just did a backup of one of my movies to MKV. When I tried to play it via the 105 from an external hard drive it plays fine, but for some reason it plays back as 1080p60. Does MKV not do 24p with Blu-ray??

We lost 24p playback from MKV in recent firmware. Probably a change from Mediatek but OPPO says they've working on it.

Even the browser and OSD show an incorrect frame rate for these files, which we haven't seen before.

-Bill
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering 04:25 PM 08-10-2013
Thanks Bill. Was wondering if I was loosing my mind on that one.
bwv1080's Avatar bwv1080 04:53 PM 08-10-2013
I've been having a lot of trouble with my Marantz 8801, so today I connected my 105 directly to my amp--wow--what an improvement! I can connect my Tivo through the Oppo, so that covers about 90% of my listening/viewing situations. However, I do have a few analog sources, such as a turntable and VHS. Has anyone tried one of these analog-to-HDMI converters? If so, how did it work? (I have a separate Parasound phono preamp for my turntable, which would plug into it.)

http://www.showmecables.com/product/Composite-RCA-ands-video-to-HDMI-Upscale-Converter.aspx
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
First ... 221  222  223 224  225  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop