post #6841 of 11532 Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Is it normal for the 105 to be unable to playback avi video files from my camera? If so how do you convert to something it can play?

Run the free "medainfo" utility on the file and post the results here.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 11532 Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Either a directly attached hard drive or streaming files over the network from an SMB server (which basically acts like an attached drive). No DSD from DLNA servers or via the digital Inputs at this point.
--Bob

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
This explains my confusion then. I have no clue what the difference between a smb and a dlna server are. Man how did you all learn this stuff? Ok please explain what these are and examples of each. Thank you again for all your help.
post #6843 of 11532 Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

This explains my confusion then. I have no clue what the difference between a smb and a dlna server are. Man how did you all learn this stuff? Ok please explain what these are and examples of each. Thank you again for all your help.

Start with the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

The FAQ linked in my signature has lists of DLNA servers.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6844 of 11532 Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 868
rhale64L7,

Essay Question #1: Define the Universe. List Three Examples.

biggrin.gif

First of all, thank you for the compliment. I.e., your faith that I might actually understand this stuff myself!

Seriously, one of the reasons you get an OPPO player is that it opens whole new worlds to explore. Bill's post -- and FAQ -- will get you started in the right direction. Expect to get lost a few times while exploring. That's part of the fun!
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6845 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks folks I will do some reading if I ever get time.

post #6846 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone else here suddenly experiencing serious lip synch issues playing back BDs with this latest beta firmware? I have to cycle my Onkyo 818 on and off in order to get the sound back in synch every time I play a disc now, some are worse than others. This never happened before the latest firmware update. I have never had to use any sort of delay/lip synch adjustment on the AVR or player, but if a simple cycle on and off while the disc is still playing fixes it, I don't think that is the issue.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #6847 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
No but I have an issue with the MediaControl app since I did the firmware update....namely that the player seems to be stuck in shuffle mode. Anyone else had this problem and have ideas to fix it?
post #6848 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianyyz View Post

No but I have an issue with the MediaControl app since I did the firmware update....namely that the player seems to be stuck in shuffle mode. Anyone else had this problem and have ideas to fix it?

I'm having the same issue with some, not all, albums when using the iPad app. and I had this same issue with it in the previous version. I sent Oppo a note about it back in May and again, a couple days ago.
post #6849 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianyyz View Post

The problem has been identified and Oppo is aware of it..

post #6850 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am on a Mac

I believe JRiver has recently ported to Mac.
post #6851 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
I think they suggest you use the resolution button instead of a power cycle
post #6852 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Never got a 95 so I cannot comment on it, but the 105, with all its possibilities, has not fail on me since day one (Mid 11/2012). I use it as a real media center, playing either MCH DVD/BD or Stereo/SACD music and HTPC content though its HDMI inputs. Sound wise, this is by far the best component I have ever had. Cheers Kami

Same here great unit, I am glad they came out with the silver version!

My humble Cinema
post #6853 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 16
Hello, I'm attempting to stream my music from my Mac to the 105. It's asking me for a username and password.How do I type in letters on the remote. I only see numbers listed. Also I wonder why it asking me for a PW/UN ? It sees my Logitech Squezebox server(and it works) without asking for one? Thx.
post #6854 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Hello, I'm attempting to stream my music from my Mac to the 105. It's asking me for a username and password.How do I type in letters on the remote. I only see numbers listed. Also I wonder why it asking me for a PW/UN ? It sees my Logitech Squezebox server(and it works) without asking for one? Thx.

How are you trying to do this? Do you have a DLNA server application running on your Mac, such as the new JRiver for Mac? Or are you trying to do "file sharing" from the Mac as an SMB server? If the latter, you will have problems unless you use a workaround, because the SMB support in the OPPO firmware is currently not compatible with the stuff that's bundled with the latest Mac OS X.

For the workaround see this article from OPPO's new Knowledge Base:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=32

Now, to answer your question: If the OPPO is asking you for a user id or password when it tries to connect then you will see these fields on your TV screen. Using the remote, simply move the cursor to the field you want to fill in next and press Enter. That will bring up the on-screen Virtual Keyboard so you can select the characters one at time with the remote.

Alternatively, if you plug a USB keyboard into one of the USB jacks on the 105 (the same jacks used to attach hard drives or the Wifi dongle), then the 105 will recognize that keyboard and you can type in your text that way.
--Bob

post #6855 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oppo's newly released MediaControlHD V2 app for iOS has proved to be a great disappointment to me. I just assumed that such an app would work with DLNA servers but it simply allows file browsing on a network-attached PC. You can't even set up favourite folders, so every user has to know the folder structure of your PC - something that can be quite complex if it is a general purpose computer rather than a dedicated HTPC.

Locating media files by their physical location is also very limiting. The metadata driven media library of something like J River Media Center (which lies behind its DLNA server capability) makes MediaControlHD's media interface look utterly primitive. Does anyone know if Oppo are likely to add DLNA support to this app?

This is a frustrating situation as I understand that MediaControlHD is the only available option for using a tablet to remotely control media selection on an Oppo BDP-105 by 'pulling' files from their source location. I would like to have an acceptable app for this purpose to complement 'push' solutions such as Gizmo or JRemote.

I only played with this app for a short time using a borrowed iPad, so if I appear to have misunderstood MediaControlHD in some way then please let me know.

David
post #6856 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
When I installed a 105 in my HT setup for audio from a DirecTV HD-DVR, I removed a DVDO iScan Duo and ran HDMI-1 directly to the projector. The projected picture looked about the same. Recently I decided to try tweaking the picture with the Oppo menu controls. The result made the picture pop with our Sony VPL-50 that's on its third or fourth lamp. The screen is 100" 16 X 9 of material claimed to be equivalent to Stewart's 130. The resulting picture is comparable to that of our Sony 46 XBR8, i.e., amazing.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #6857 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

Oppo's newly released MediaControlHD V2 app for iOS has proved to be a great disappointment to me. I just assumed that such an app would work with DLNA servers but it simply allows file browsing on a network-attached PC.

The MediaControlHD V2.0 adds SMB support. V1.0 did not support anything other than files which were attached with USB storage. OPPO is slowly rolling out updates to the MediaControlHD that adds additional functionality, so you will see a newer revision in the future which will work with DLNA DMP servers.
post #6858 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

Oppo's newly released MediaControlHD V2 app for iOS has proved to be a great disappointment to me. I just assumed that such an app would work with DLNA servers but it simply allows file browsing on a network-attached PC. You can't even set up favourite folders, so every user has to know the folder structure of your PC - something that can be quite complex if it is a general purpose computer rather than a dedicated HTPC.

Locating media files by their physical location is also very limiting. The metadata driven media library of something like J River Media Center (which lies behind its DLNA server capability) makes MediaControlHD's media interface look utterly primitive. Does anyone know if Oppo are likely to add DLNA support to this app?
I like the MediaControl app as an alternative to JRiver's DLNA server sw.. Since I have my whole collection of audio files on a NAS, I don't have to power on my pc or my tv to enjoy my music. Plus, the 105 doesn't support DSD over DLNA yet, so the ios app is a simple solution to play my dsd media from NAS.
post #6859 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Good for you all three front identical speakers that's great, way to go!
Especially since I listen mainly to music (dvda, sacd, and blu-ray audio). For years I had the typical surround center speaker and it was very frustrating. The tone of the center was always different than the L and R. I believe an identical center is mandatory if you want to listen to surround music. Some will say that all 5 speakers must be the same. I think that depends on the room size. My rear speakers are fairly close to my listening position and I think identical rears would be overpowering. If you mainly watch movies then a different center speaker probably does not matter.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #6860 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

When I installed a 105 in my HT setup for audio from a DirecTV HD-DVR, I removed a DVDO iScan Duo and ran HDMI-1 directly to the projector. The projected picture looked about the same. Recently I decided to try tweaking the picture with the Oppo menu controls. The result made the picture pop with our Sony VPL-50 that's on its third or fourth lamp. The screen is 100" 16 X 9 of material claimed to be equivalent to Stewart's 130. The resulting picture is comparable to that of our Sony 46 XBR8, i.e., amazing.

db

Have you tried playing any "1080p" movies from yoiur hd directv dvd? I have had to remove the 105 from between the dvr and the projector because I kept getting a blank screen and the message that my tv wouldn't support that format!! I tried different hdmi cables and cable lengths but directive doesn't like my 105. This has been a major disappointment for me. I have been enjoying the 105 for blurays and purely for music however. Wish I could use it with hd movies from direcTV.
post #6861 of 11532 Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

Especially since I listen mainly to music (dvda, sacd, and blu-ray audio). For years I had the typical surround center speaker and it was very frustrating. The tone of the center was always different than the L and R. I believe an identical center is mandatory if you want to listen to surround music. Some will say that all 5 speakers must be the same. I think that depends on the room size. My rear speakers are fairly close to my listening position and I think identical rears would be overpowering. If you mainly watch movies then a different center speaker probably does not matter.

We are the same we listen to a lot of SACDs and Blu Ray Audio in multi channel. I also love the sound stage in movies smile.gif

My humble Cinema
post #6862 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

A new version of the MediaControl HD app was just released (V.2.0.1), and was hoping that a fix would be provided for the "shuffled" playback sequence of audio tracks, but it did not. frown.gif I'm not even sure what this version added/fixed from the previous ver. The update history just mentions "bug fixes". The most critical, high priority bug, imo, wasn't resolved. Patience, patience.....
post #6863 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

A new version of the MediaControl HD app was just released (V.2.0.1), and was hoping that a fix would be provided for the "shuffled" playback sequence of audio tracks, but it did not.
I was hoping this, too. Because of this issue I still keep my USB disk hooked but had problems with the new version of the app in the last 2-3 days. Playback stops for any reasons plus a freezing Oppo. That didn`t happen when I was using the remote control for browsing through the NAS shares via TV screen and playing music. With the "bug fixed" version from today I didn`t have these stops and freezings so far but it`s too early to say if it was fixed.
Quote:
Patience, patience.....
Yep smile.gif

Btw, I like that you can start AVCHD folders to play by the app.
post #6864 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

JRiver won't know what you did to your digital audio files. These types of files follow a strict format. Changing a bit here or there can render it non-playable. If you're thinking about using JRiver or any media server/software to send dsd files to your 105, the 105 doesn't support DSD over DLNA (DoP). The only way to play dsd files is from Oppo's on-screen software, accessing either an attached usb or network drive. If you had an iPad or iPhone, you can also access your network or usb drive's audio/video media from Oppo's ios-based MediaControl HD app.

The best solution to this would be for Oppo to work out a solution where you can play DSD files over DLNA.

I spoke with Oppo support and asked why there hasn't been a solution. They told me that the problem has to do with the XMOS USB receiver. They need XMOS to come up with a software (firmware?) solution, and thus far they have not provided one.

I did some research and it does appear that the XMOS USB receiver is capable of supporting DSD over DoP.

So, why isn't Oppo being more forceful with XMOS to come up with a solution. Mytek had a much more difficult task in doing this, and they worked out a solution.

This would make this a much better player and would allow us allow to use much better streaming software, like JRiver. The oppo app is still very primitive.
post #6865 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM

A correction.

I mean playing DSD files over Asynchronous USB, not DLNA.
post #6866 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margolbe View Post

A correction.

I mean playing DSD files over Asynchronous USB, not DLNA.
Yes, you are correct now. DSD over DLNA requires no additional hardware support for Oppo. They just need to add the necessary firmware to process/parse the specialized (DoP) stream from a dlna server/media controller sw(JRiver). http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard
post #6867 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Dan,

Any insight as to why it is so difficult for Oppo to offer DSD file play over Asynchronous USB?
post #6868 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dan,

Any insight as to why it is so difficult for Oppo to offer DSD file play over Asynchronous USB?
Hello Margolbe. I wish I could provide you with that insight. It would only be pure conjecture on my part. After briefly searching the Net, a few sources do imply that xmos supports the open DSD Standard, but it was in the beta stage in Dec. '12. Also, there's some comments on one of the links I provided below that may shine a little more light as to current capabilities. Initially, it would seem to me that Oppo would need to provide a customer a specialized ASIO driver to be installed on various pc platforms (Win, Mac, etc..) that would support DoP. Then again, if JRiver already supports DoP (via usb or dlna), then that would already be taken care of, and Oppo would then just have to write additional fw to parse a DoP stream from either asnych-usb or network connections..Here's some further reading for you http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-link-dsd-audio-pcm-frames-andres-koch
http://www.xcore.com/projects/dsd-audio-over-usb
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/dacs/oppo-bdp-105-usb-asynchronous-dac
post #6869 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Dan,

You already got your answer direct from OPPO. You posted it above. It requires an update from a component vendor.

Patience.
--Bob

post #6870 of 11532 Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Bob, that's letting oppo off the hook too easily.

We are paying for a premium product. I expect a premium solution.

Mytek had a mich more difficult solution to this problem, yet they persevered until they had a solution. Why is oppo being so passive with this vendor. Why are they not insisting on a solution.

This has been requested by many. It's time for something other than passing the buck.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page