61Likes

post #721 of 11522 Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Probably not. This model is really for people who want to hook up directly to amps or headphones and are looking for state of the art analog outputs derived from a variety of digital sources.

I think SOTA is pushing it...just saying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 11522 Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post

Second, On my SACD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I cannot access the hi rez tracks. The Oppo only shows CD, not SACD. I tried all other SACDs I own and this is the only one that won't find the SACD tracks...what can I do? Thanks

Tried it on my 105 and got the same results as you. Strangely enough, The Who's Tommy was the first SACD I tried on the machine and it also defaulted to the CD track. A few days later I retried Tommy and it played the SACD track.

Keep us posted on your success in getting Yellow Brick to work.
post #723 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Liked: 10
Pete6737
I am having the same problems with a few SACD's as well. "Alison Krauss Live" will not read the SACD layer no matter how many times a power the unit on/off. I am sending Oppo an email to make them aware. Hopefully an update will alleviate the issue.
post #724 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It helps to be as old as Bob: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perils_of_Pauline_%281914_serial%29

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks Bill ...still don't get it. Oh well!redface.gif

What's that ya say? Speak up! SPEAK UP!

Kid's today! Always MUMBLING!

And don't you kids go dissing Pauline. That gal had pluck! "Don't get it"? Sheesh! How could you not recognize probably the most iconic of the cliffhanger, movie serials? And now Secrets of Home Theater has brought back the serial genre in the guise of a player review! The 105 is strapped to the test bench. The mad scientists cackle gleefully as they approach with outstretched probes! How will OPPO survive? Be sure to see the next exciting episode!
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #725 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjohnson19 View Post

Pete6737
I am having the same problems with a few SACD's as well. "Alison Krauss Live" will not read the SACD layer no matter how many times a power the unit on/off. I am sending Oppo an email to make them aware. Hopefully an update will alleviate the issue.

Be sure to include the bar code number off the disc packaging (including the tiny digits at either end). This will give OPPO the info they need to make sure they are looking at precisely the same disc.

When a hybrid SACD (SACD / CD combo disc) gets loaded, the player has to do checks to recognize what's in the tray. This is trickier than you might expect. With a few good test cases OPPO can likely tweak the algorithm.

Also be sure to tell them whether you are using the Official 1018 firmware or the Public Beta 1114B firmware.
--Bob

post #726 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanthalf View Post

Hi, I have received my BDP-105EU with the multi-zone DVD and multi-region BD mod from Audiocom about a week ago, but I have had just about two days for some testing. Unfortunately I have no disks from other zones or regions at the moment, so that I cannot test this functionality. But there was some leaflet saying that the modified firmware is directed to some specific IP address for future updates, so I suppose it will require future firmware updates to actually be always modified and released by Audiocom first, in order to preserve this functionality...?

. . . .

Do let us know once you've had a chance to confirm that the Audiocom-installed, multi-zone Blu-ray, 3rd party hardware mod is working.

As for the firmware, does the leaflet suggest that URL is needed for the PLAYER'S firmware? Or for firmware updates to the mod hardware? In the past, sometimes after OPPO updated the player firmware a matching firmware update was also needed for the mod hardware itself to restore the multi-zone functionality. This varied for different OPPO updates and for different makes of mod hardware.

Perhaps Audiocom is trying to set something up so that you don't do the OPPO update until the matching mod hardware update is available? I don't know how they could do that given that you can install the OPPO firmware via USB.
--Bob

post #727 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Cool ... thx for the update. Have you noticed Secrets measured a THD+N spec for the headphone output as 0.009% yet Oppo lists it as < 0.001%? Do you know why it measures 9X worse than Oppo's spec?

Thanks,
David

Different measurement protocols. 16-bit vs. 24-bit data for example. This is all normal.
--Bob

post #728 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

I would guess that the sound quality would be good. No-one has addressed the problem of no audio sync delay on the analog outputs for video sources. How is the OPPO 105 going to know the video processing delay on my Pioneer Kuro plasma? Does it even set any audio delay by default on the analog outs? There are no settings for this. Without it, I would be rolling the dice to buy one as a pre/pro. Considering that this is the obvious use-case for this player, I can't believe that OPPO hasn't figured out a way to allow a user-set audio delay on the analog outputs (better yet -- make it selectable by input).

The design goal of the player is that audio and video is in sync at the player's outputs, regardless of your content choice or player settings choices or choice of outputs, so long as the sync was correct in the source content to begin with. The current firmware does not yet meet that criteria in all cases -- it has bugs in A/V sync that OPPO is still fixing. (The same sort of stuff was detected and fixed after the 93/95 players first shipped, too.)

The current firmware does not provide a mechanism to add additional audio delay to correct for external devices. If you need that, you'll need to use a sound processor that offers that.

I can't comment on whether it's possible for OPPO to add such a feature via future firmware.
--Bob

post #729 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiwi View Post

If people can't notice the difference between the BDP 105 and the Panasonic 500 then two things are going on:
1. Their sensory perceptions are incapable of differentiation.
This isn't meant as an insult. I've had friends and family members who haven't noticed any differences at all between components whereas some say the difference is "night and day". Lucky for the people that can't notice the difference as they can be happy with a ghetto blaster and save a ton of cash.
2. Their system is incapable of differentiation.
This could be due to a number issues. There are a lot of components between the source and the final sound heard by the listener and any can degrade the sound considerably.
The most common I've found is overly complex passive crossover networks which "filter" and degrade the sound sometimes rendering a very high quality source such as the Oppo to just "average". For example I have two systems. One is capable of taking full advantage of a very high quality source such as the Oppo 105 and the other is not. On the secondary system, the Oppo does sound a little better than some of the inferior dacs. On the main system, the differences are like "night and day". Also price has a sparse relationship to sound quality. I've heard a pair of $4000 single driver speakers sound much more "refined" than a pair of $180,000 speakers. So if you can't hear much difference between the Oppo and another DAC/squeezebox etc then don't blame the Oppo look elsewhere within the system...
Over the next few weeks, I'm going to do the following:
1. compare the Oppo to a variety of pre-amps in the $150-$15k range and decide whether the Oppo sounds better standalone or with a preamp.
2. Compare the Oppo to a variety of external DACs in the $500-$15k range to determine where the Oppo fits with differing priced dacs.
3. Compare a variety of amps with differing input impedance to determine whether it is a "true preamp". Despite the "theory" it should work, this needs real life testing as I've had mixed results in the past.
I hope other people post their comparisons on the above items as well so we can get a feel of where the 105 ranks in the grand scheme of things.
I've also found this unit needs quite a bit of burn in time. I've been burning this in 24/7 since I got it and it took a long time to settle down. Plugging it in on arrival and then firing off a review after an hour or so is doing this unit a disservice in my opinion.....

Hello, I just ordered a OPPO 105 today, and I am wondering something on this " Burn In".. I was a mechanic for 25 years, and the "breaking in" of an internal combustion engine had as much to do with heat cycles, as it did run time. So I ask,
1)Exactly what burns them in?
2) Just powering them on?
3) Or do they have to be playing material?
4)Do they have to be "cycled" to burn them in. Heat up, cool down,heat up, cool down etc.
5)Can you put a disk in them, put them on repeat and let them run for a week? Or will you get the same outcome just leaving them powered on.
post #730 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post

Hello All,
Second, On my SACD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I cannot access the hi rez tracks. The Oppo only shows CD, not SACD. I tried all other SACDs I own and this is the only one that won't find the SACD tracks...what can I do? Thanks
FWIW, I just ran a quick test with my copy of the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition SACD (UPC 602498132067) and had no problems with the player detecting the SACD layer on both discs.
post #731 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

OPPO UK has now posted the PDF File Download link for the new, Hi-Fi News Magazine review of the BDP-105EU:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HFN_Oppo%20BDP-105EU.pdf

AWARDED: Hi-Fi News Outstanding Product

HEADLINE: Blu-ray picture quality is stunning and SACDs a revelation in clarity

Quote:
If you ever wanted conclusive proof that high-res computer audio is where high-fidelity music needs to be going, then Oppo’s BDP-105EU universal player is it.
Quote:
HI-FI NEWS VERDICT

The BDP-105EU is a fabulous piece of digital engineering that represents spectacular value for its features and functionality alone. It is sonically accomplished too, delivering breath-taking clarity and detailing the like of which many high-end CD players struggle to achieve. The BDP- 105EU is a truly accomplished universal player with the greatest all-round appeal of any source device I have tested. Period.

For subscribers, please note the comment in the Lab Report section stating that the full gamut of test results is available from the Magazine's download service. If we have any subscribers posting here who have access to that, please do report if you find any interesting nuggets!
--Bob

post #732 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Sure it matters. It must not drop packets. Otherwise you are good to go. Monoprice has Cat 5e cables starting at 55 cents depending on your required length that should comfortably fit this requirement. If you need something more than 100 meters then you might need something fancier.
Or you could go with one of the Denon AKDL1 cables. I strongly recommend reading the reviews of this cable on Amazon. The properties it possesses are truly mind boggling.
Cat 5 or Cat 6, is only good up to 90 meters or 300 feet. After that you need to use fiber optics.

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #733 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Aren't there repeaters or boosters or whatever they call them for long Cat5 or 6 runs? Besides you'd have to live in a hell of a big house to need more than a 90-meter run. wink.gif

post #734 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It helps to be as old as Bob: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perils_of_Pauline_%281914_serial%29

-Bill
Quote:

Thanks Bill ...still don't get it. Oh well!redface.gif

And don't you kids go dissing Pauline. That gal had pluck! "Don't get it"? Sheesh! How could you not recognize probably the most iconic of the cliffhanger, movie serials? And now Secrets of Home Theater has brought back the serial genre in the guise of a player review! The 105 is strapped to the test bench. The mad scientists cackle gleefully as they approach with outstretched probes! How will OPPO survive? Be sure to see the next exciting episode!
--Bob

Aha!!! me now understandssmile.gif. Let's wait for next 'cliifhanger" from secrets... ugh! 

But hey, American 'English' is not my first language.I much prefer the Queen's english, which is what i was born and raised in. Despite being 30years in the US, many things i simply don't get to this very day.,,

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #735 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Hello, I just ordered a OPPO 105 today, and I am wondering something on this " Burn In".. I was a mechanic for 25 years, and the "breaking in" of an internal combustion engine had as much to do with heat cycles, as it did run time. So I ask,
1)Exactly what burns them in?
2) Just powering them on?
3) Or do they have to be playing material?
4)Do they have to be "cycled" to burn them in. (Can you put a disk in them, put them on repeat and let them run for a week?) Or will you get the same outcome just leaving them powered on.

I'd suggest point 4. Throw a disk in and let it run on repeat. I usually use an orchestral disk that covers the majority of the audio spectrum although not sure this is necessary.
post #736 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OPPO UK has now posted the PDF File Download link for the new, Hi-Fi News Magazine review of the BDP-105EU:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HFN_Oppo%20BDP-105EU.pdf

AWARDED: Hi-Fi News Outstanding Product

HEADLINE: Blu-ray picture quality is stunning and SACDs a revelation in clarity

Quote:
If you ever wanted conclusive proof that high-res computer audio is where high-fidelity music needs to be going, then Oppo’s BDP-105EU universal player is it.
Quote:
HI-FI NEWS VERDICT

The BDP-105EU is a fabulous piece of digital engineering that represents spectacular value for its features and functionality alone. It is sonically accomplished too, delivering breath-taking clarity and detailing the like of which many high-end CD players struggle to achieve. The BDP- 105EU is a truly accomplished universal player with the greatest all-round appeal of any source device I have tested. Period.

For subscribers, please note the comment in the Lab Report section stating that the full gamut of test results is available from the Magazine's download service. If we have any subscribers posting here who have access to that, please do report if you find any interesting nuggets!
--Bob

Interesting that the reviewer gave the 105 a sound quality rating of 87 out of 100. The BDP-95 received an 85 rating. So, in his mind, its 2% better than the 95?

post #737 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

--Bob

So you also remember going to the Saturday matinee movies at the big theater houses? wink.gif
post #738 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACabral View Post

Hello, I am new to this Forum.
I have a Pioneer BDP LX91 and O!play HD2 (to play high quality video files, mostly H.264 at 20-25Mbps). I want to upgrade the image quality of the O!play HD2 so I am considering buying the OPPO BDP-105 due to its file playing capability. Can anyone comment on the following comparissons:
1. The O!play vs the OPPO 105 for playing files
2. The Pioneer LX91 vs OPPO 105 for playing blue-ray
3. The Pioneer LX91 vs OPPO 105 for playing DVD
Thanks. Armando

Anyone?
post #739 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Interesting that the reviewer gave the 105 a sound quality rating of 87 out of 100. The BDP-95 received an 85 rating. So, in his mind, its 2% better than the 95?

Evaluating audio through the hdmi output is not any different from the hdmi audio output of the bdp-103.

What makes the bdp-105 special (and more expensive) is the use use of the ESS 9018 Sabre DACs which are used when using the analog outs. Especially the balanced XLR outs. Otherwise, the sound quality your are hearing is that of your sound processor doing the D/A conversion, not the Oppo.

The hdmi board and digital passthrough of signals is the same for both units, they only differ in their analog audio components.

Did anyone evaluate the sound quality produced by internal DACs of the bdp-105.

My humble Cinema
post #740 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the latest response I received from OPPO in regards to adding some sort of gain or attenuation control for the headphone amp:
Quote:
There are no plans at this time to adjust the gain or the attenuation which is created by the down-mixing of the headphone output. This may change in the future as we evaluate the player's performance and as we continue to receiver customer feedback. We are always striving for "perfection" so it is in our interest to support our community to the best of our engineering capabilities, but at this time we are not pursuing any alterations to the current headphone amplifier implementation.

If you have some spare time (and want to help out a fellow AVS member smile.gif), please send them an e-mail that you'd like to see adjustment controls for the headphone amp in a future firmware upgrade. Thanks.
post #741 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OPPO UK has now posted the PDF File Download link for the new, Hi-Fi News Magazine review of the BDP-105EU: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HFN_Oppo%20BDP-105EU.pdf AWARDED: Hi-Fi News Outstanding Product HEADLINE: Blu-ray picture quality is stunning and SACDs a revelation in clarity. For subscribers, please note the comment in the Lab Report section stating that the full gamut of test results is available from the Magazine's download service. If we have any subscribers posting here who have access to that, please do report if you find any interesting nuggets!--Bob

Thank you for the link, interesting they give it 87% in sound quality! Not that great, so what receives 100% if anything? rolleyes.gif

Can you post the graphs

My humble Cinema
post #742 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

When will Oppo be able to read AIFF files frown.gif Also are they working on a remote for the iPad?

My humble Cinema
post #743 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:

Evaluating audio through the hdmi output is not any different from the hdmi audio output of the bdp-103.

What makes the bdp-105 special (and more expensive) is the use use of the ESS 9018 Sabre DACs which are used when using the analog outs. Especially the balanced XLR outs. Otherwise, the sound quality your are hearing is that of your sound processor doing the D/A conversion, not the Oppo.

The hdmi board and digital passthrough of signals is the same for both units, they only differ in their analog audio components.

Did anyone evaluate the sound quality produced by internal DACs of the bdp-105.

Not my review ... he said he hooked up the 105EU direct to a power amp as part of review.

post #744 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:

OPPO UK has now posted the PDF File Download link for the new, Hi-Fi News Magazine review of the BDP-105EU: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HFN_Oppo%20BDP-105EU.pdf AWARDED: Hi-Fi News Outstanding Product HEADLINE: Blu-ray picture quality is stunning and SACDs a revelation in clarity. For subscribers, please note the comment in the Lab Report section stating that the full gamut of test results is available from the Magazine's download service. If we have any subscribers posting here who have access to that, please do report if you find any interesting nuggets!--Bob

Thank you for the link, interesting they give it 87% in sound quality! Not that great, so what receives 100% if anything? rolleyes.gif

Can you post the graphs

100%, heck who even get a 90+ rating with them?

post #745 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Originally Posted by ACabral

Hello, I am new to this Forum.
I have a Pioneer BDP LX91 and O!play HD2 (to play high quality video files, mostly H.264 at 20-25Mbps). I want to upgrade the image quality of the O!play HD2 so I am considering buying the OPPO BDP-105 due to its file playing capability. Can anyone comment on the following comparissons:
1. The O!play vs the OPPO 105 for playing files
2. The Pioneer LX91 vs OPPO 105 for playing blue-ray
3. The Pioneer LX91 vs OPPO 105 for playing DVD
Thanks. Armando

Hello I currently own a BDP-105 and have owned both the BDP-95 and Pioneer BDP-09FD which I believe is the same as the LX-91 when it comes to blu ray disc the 105 and the LX91 are very close in picture performance they give a very smooth look I feel the 95 gave a softer more film like picture the 105 and LX91 to me are very smooth in picture quality as for audio the LX91 plays at a higher volume but I hear more detail or a higher resolution in the audio for playing two channel music
post #746 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

In the US, Crutchfield.com is now showing the BDP-105 as "In Stock":

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BDP105/Oppo-BDP-105.html

--Bob

post #747 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM

I don't care if this will sound bad but what a crappy service from solutionsav.ca in Canada....I'm so disappointed...they expected their stock to arrive yesterday and my account has not been updated even if I paid them...no answer to emails and their phone line is just to take voice mail and it says it's faster by email to get a response...Onlybestrated has them in stock with free shipping as well, too bad I can't cancel so far to get it by Friday. I thought this was the most trustful place in Canada to get it, not interested in paying 2 or 300 $ more in the US.
Oppo needs a distributor in Quebec even if that means we'll have to pay more tax.

Thanks for everyone giving a good review on the sound of the 105, at least I won't be dissapointed in that regard when I get it.
Also if anyone knows, are most MHL cable compatible with all recent smartphones like the Note 2? the one on Monoprice doesn't seem to be.
post #748 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Don't be too hard on them. It looks like things got delayed by 2 days (based on Crutchfield in the US). And import processing delays into Canada are also kind of unpredictable.
--Bob

post #749 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

Cat 5 or Cat 6, is only good up to 90 meters or 300 feet. After that you need to use fiber optics.

The 90 meter cable run length is to allow for 5 meter patch cords at each end.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #750 of 11522 Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

^ Don't be too hard on them. It looks like things got delayed by 2 days (based on Crutchfield in the US). And import processing delays into Canada are also kind of unpredictable.
--Bob
Yeah the hype, the hype has let me down! you know wink.gif I wouldn't be that disappointed if onlybestrated had the same problem which is also in Ontario but they are able to ship it like right now and they were the last to annouce the 103...they even had the 93 on their main page as the new Oppo until a few days ago...that's why I went with the other company.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page