Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #7741 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try playing the same music through the Oppo interface (using your monitor). In my experience, the Oppo will play the files in the proper sequence. If you leave the monitor on and try again using the iPad app., you'll see on the monitor that you're playing, ie, 5/10 even though you selected track 1 on the iPad list. Again, I documented this in a number of emails to Oppo. I have this happen both with ripped CDs and FLAC files that I've purchased from HDTracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^ I've been told numerous times on this thread, "What do you want from a free app?". "There are many other options to play back media on the 105". ......... I just want the app to work the way it should work....i don't care if Oppo has to divert their attention on a free app to solve real problems for their paying customers of their products....that's a cop-out. They just released a new version of their MediaControlHD app, so someone at that company is debugging and adding fixes to this program....this anomaly is so easily repeatable.....this bug renders this media control hd app useless/unusable, if it can't properly play back tracks in ordered sequence.
post #7743 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

I'm using the latest firmware and Media Control HD software. All my audio media is stored on a NAS in "artist" directories. Most of these directories were created by dbpoweramp CD ripper software. The tracks are stored in sequence as depicted in my attached file. When I tap the first track in the above list, the 105 thinks it's track 10. When I proceed to tap the "next track" button, the 105 display shows that track 11 should now be playing, but on the MediaControl HD display, track 07 is highlighted and begins to play.....tapping the "next track" button will show that track 12 should now be playing on the 105 display, which just happens to be the correct track, track 12, which is highlighted on the mediacontrol app......tapping the next track button will show that track 13 should be playing on the 105, but it's actually track 15 on the mediacontrol display....tapping the next track button again will show that track 14 should be playing on the 105, but it's actually track 03 on the mediacontrol hd app. This random sequence is actually repeatable every time for this particular directory structure, which leads me to believe some internal indexing track assignment between the media control hd app and the 105 is messed up.

I also copied the a above audio directory to a usb thumb drive, and the tracks play back in the same screwy sequence I described above (from my NAS).

I can confirm that this problem exists when using MediaControl when using SMB.
Mine were also ripped with DBPowerAmp but I think the problem is when the actual file order does not match the displayed file order.

- Rich
lanping09 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7744 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

I'm using the latest firmware and Media Control HD software. All my audio media is stored on a NAS in "artist" directories. Most of these directories were created by dbpoweramp CD ripper software. The tracks are stored in sequence as depicted in my attached file. When I tap the first track in the above list, the 105 thinks it's track 10. When I proceed to tap the "next track" button, the 105 display shows that track 11 should now be playing, but on the MediaControl HD display, track 07 is highlighted and begins to play.....tapping the "next track" button will show that track 12 should now be playing on the 105 display, which just happens to be the correct track, track 12, which is highlighted on the mediacontrol app......tapping the next track button will show that track 13 should be playing on the 105, but it's actually track 15 on the mediacontrol display....tapping the next track button again will show that track 14 should be playing on the 105, but it's actually track 03 on the mediacontrol hd app. This random sequence is actually repeatable every time for this particular directory structure, which leads me to believe some internal indexing track assignment between the media control hd app and the 105 is messed up.

I also copied the a above audio directory to a usb thumb drive, and the tracks play back in the same screwy sequence I described above (from my NAS).
I wish they'd just read the dang tags and sort by the disc# (if present) and then track# tags - then use alphabetical by file for those cases where track number tags are not present or are redundant.
If they are reading the album art tags anyway...

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #7745 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

^^ Rich, thanks for your confirmation. What do you mean when you say "...but I think the problem is when the actual file order does not match the displayed file order"? The audio files begin with track numbers....it's the track numbers which create the ordered sequence...??? The displayed track order on the media control app should match the actual track order/sequence as depicted on the cd itself.
post #7746 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^ Rich, thanks for your confirmation. What do you mean when you say "...but I think the problem is when the actual file order does not match the displayed file order"? The audio files begin with track numbers....it's the track numbers which create the ordered sequence...??? The displayed track order on the media control app should match the actual track order/sequence as depicted on the cd itself.

I am not sure about the cause.
Accessing files via SMB to my ReadyNas Pro does not sort the file names so unless the client sorts them, they are in whatever order they were stored in.

The BDP-105 sorts them according to the names which when ripped by DBPowerAmp which matches the order of the album.
I can play the same ripped directory from an attached SSD without problems. However, using SMB and the ReadyNas Pro the first song in MediaControl (which matches the album) displays as the 20'th song. Playback proceeds from there so the entire album is not played.

When I use the BDP-105 to browse to this directory and select the first file (matching MediaControl and the CD), the display shows it as the first track and it plays properly. I have reported this problem to Oppo.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7747 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

^ Did you try playing those ripped tracks on your ssd from the Media Control app? They still play out of sequence when I use the media Control app and my usb drive. I assume they only played for you in the proper order when accessed directly from the 105?
post #7748 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:

^ Did you try playing those ripped tracks on your ssd from the Media Control app? They still play out of sequence when I use the media Control app and my usb drive. I assume they only played for you in the proper order when accessed directly from the 105?
My guess right now is that the fix they put in for track sorting was in the player itself, that it only applies when using the player's browsing capabilities, and that when the Media Control app is involved it uses the Media Control app's sorting and not the player's - with the Media Control app telling the player what to play and when to play it. I could be dead wrong, of course, but that would explain exactly what you are seeing.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #7749 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The MediaControlHD will play them back in the order the app sees them. So if they are out of order on the app, then they will be out of order when you play them through the player since the app is telling the player which file to play.

My previous comments was related to a bug where the files would show in a certain order, but the MediaControlHD would randomly select the files. Based on your descriptions, the MediaControl is playing them in sequence, but the sorting is not correct. This is a completely different issue than I had interpreted.
post #7750 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For that attached SSD: The MediaControl app displays and plays this same directory of files in the proper order. No Problem.

For the ReadyNas Pro directory, the BDP-105 cab browse and displays and plays the files in the proper order. No problem.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #7751 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The MediaControlHD will play them back in the order the app sees them. So if they are out of order on the app, then they will be out of order when you play them through the player since the app is telling the player which file to play.

My previous comments was related to a bug where the files would show in a certain order, but the MediaControlHD would randomly select the files. Based on your descriptions, the MediaControl is playing them in sequence, but the sorting is not correct. This is a completely different issue than I had interpreted.

I think MediaControl is sorting and displaying them correctly, but playing them using an incorrect position.

In the old days, my files and directories were not sorted at all when accessing the ReadyNas Pro via SMB.
That works great now, files are sorted and playback in the sorted order.

MediaControl actually displays the files in the same order as the BDP-105 via the network.
When I play the first track in the sorted list from the BDP-105, it properly displays 1 of 22.

When I play the first track with MediaControl,, it plays the proper track but displays 20 of 22.
It continues from there so only 3 songs are played.

Other folders play fine, so I assume it is when the underlying files are sorted differently.
I am not sure if this is peculiar to my NAS or not.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #7752 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I received a correspondence from Oppo.
They have replicated the MediaControl SMB playback order problem and it will be corrected in the next release.
They may also add DLNA access to the MediaControl app in the next version.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #7753 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

^ Three cheers for Rich!! biggrin.gif Thank You!
post #7754 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ Three cheers for Rich!! biggrin.gif Thank You!

Three cheers for Oppo ! tongue.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #7755 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

I got an email from Oppo Customer Support on Nov 13 that said they are planning a firmware release next week for the 105. Their email was in response to my question about hearing a distorted tearing sound when playing a certain dvd-audio disc. They said this was a known issue and would be fixed in the firmware release.
I am happy to report that the Nov 21 firmware release did indeed fix the distortion problem.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #7756 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 10
I did not understand what Special Note 3 of the new firmware release means. What sort of special care are they recommending when you use the unit as a preamp? Mine is connected directly to actice speakers in a stereo system? Should I be concerned with something?
post #7757 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys. I have found a temporary workaround for the issue we've been talking about today with regards to the playback order of media tracks when played from the Media Control HD app as opposed to when playing back from the 105's on-screen browser.

If you were to just simply view/enter one (or more) audio directories from your attached storage (either network or usb) using the 105's on-screen browser before viewing them (and playing them) with the MediaControl HD app, the playback order in those particular directories will be perfectly ordered. You can then use the Media Control app to playback the audio files for any of those particular directories that you went into without an issue. So just enter into any given audio/artist/album directory where your tracks are located with the 105's onscreen browser, then use the Media Control app to play them back....presto, it's magic!! biggrin.gif
post #7758 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcintra View Post

I did not understand what Special Note 3 of the new firmware release means. What sort of special care are they recommending when you use the unit as a preamp? Mine is connected directly to actice speakers in a stereo system? Should I be concerned with something?
The main thing is to pay attention to the volume level setting on the Oppo and make sure the volume control on the player is set to variable and not fixed.
afcintra likes this.
post #7759 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

I wish they'd just read the dang tags and sort by the disc# (if present) and then track# tags - then use alphabetical by file for those cases where track number tags are not present or are redundant.
If they are reading the album art tags anyway...

Hi, this happens because, the oppo iPad app is listing the the tracks in "metadata" order (that is the order listed in the metadata of each track). The player, however, is using the alphabetical order...so, that is why there is discrepancy here. I noticed, while looking into this, that most of my hi-rez albums where downloaded with each track having a pre-fix like 01-, 02-, etc. So they play in the correct order that way. Conclusion: oppo may want to use the the same order, (either alphabetical. OR, metadata. consistently on each device.)

cheers, -menez
post #7760 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menez View Post

Hi, this happens because, the oppo iPad app is listing the the tracks in "metadata" order (that is the order listed in the metadata of each track). The player, however, is using the alphabetical order...so, that is why there is discrepancy here. I noticed, while looking into this, that most of my hi-rez albums where downloaded with each track having a pre-fix like 01-, 02-, etc. So they play in the correct order that way. Conclusion: oppo may want to use the the same order, (either alphabetical. OR, metadata. consistently on each device.)

cheers, -menez
That's not what I'm seeing. I don't see any info in the metadata of my tracks that shows the MediaControl HD app is using metadata track tags for playback order...can you show an example of that? Do you mean the track "title" in the metadata is used by MediaControl HD to sort the playback list instead of the track number? Did you see the example I gave above? (post 7740).
post #7761 of 11417 Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Liked: 12
well,i doesn't "say" that.i was just what i observed. oh, digital, so much fun...but, still think that is the issue, anyone else got conflicting observations?
post #7762 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:

Hey guys. I have found a temporary workaround for the issue we've been talking about today with regards to the playback order of media tracks when played from the Media Control HD app as opposed to when playing back from the 105's on-screen browser.

If you were to just simply view/enter one (or more) audio directories from your attached storage (either network or usb) using the 105's on-screen browser before viewing them (and playing them) with the MediaControl HD app, the playback order in those particular directories will be perfectly ordered. You can then use the Media Control app to playback the audio files for any of those particular directories that you went into without an issue. So just enter into any given audio/artist/album directory where your tracks are located with the 105's onscreen browser, then use the Media Control app to play them back....presto, it's magic!! biggrin.gif

This is a very interesting find. I've posted it to the Beta Testers to see it if can be confirmed (I don't use an iPad, myself), as it may mean the bug is not in the iOS app at all, but rather in how the player is interpreting the command input from the app before the player has had a chance itself to "see" the folder in question.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7763 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:

The concern is to make sure that your Analog output Volume is set correctly AFTER the firmware install (and Recommended Reset) so that you don't blast yourself out of the room the first time you play something.
--Bob
afcintra likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7764 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The main thing is to pay attention to the volume level setting on the Oppo and make sure the volume control on the player is set to variable and not fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The concern is to make sure that your Analog output Volume is set correctly AFTER the firmware install (and Recommended Reset) so that you don't blast yourself out of the room the first time you play something.
--Bob

The new beta firmware adds Variable volume Power On and Maximum Volume settings similar to those found in AVR/Preamps.
Moving forward firmware updates automatically preserve settings during firmware updates so the user is not prompted to reset settings as part of the upgrade procedure.

A full factory reset will reset the volume to fixed and accidentally selecting Fixed still sets the volume to 100% which could be frightening and potentially damaging to your speakers.

Traditional AVRs and Preamps do not reset to maximum volume, but you can still do a full factory reset or reset the volume will be set to Fixed which does set the volume to 100%.

So, in an abundance of caution, I recommend this procedure when upgrading BDP firmware:

1. Turn off you amplifier
  2. Upgrade the firmware
  3. Verify your Volume control is set to Variable
  4. Verify your Power On Volume and Max Volume Settings
  5. Verify your current volume is set reasonably low
  6. Turn your amp back on

- Rich
afcintra likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

post #7765 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I currently have an oppo bdp-93 for bd playback and denon dvd-5900 for cd, sacd, and dvd audio. I'm using the denons 5.1 outs and it blows away the oppo when playing anything but bd. I really would like one player for everything and heard one person who replaced his dvd-5900 with the oppo bdp-105. Can anyone else confirm? Also will the 105 be replaced any time soon?

Steve Ruddy
post #7766 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I used to have a Denon DVD-5900 which I replaced with an Oppo BDP-83SE (the predecessor to the BDP-95) and it was clearly much better for CDs, SACDs and DVD-A than the 5900. I could hear details I had never heard on the 5900. I have since added a BDP-105 and it is a bit better yet sonically than the 83SE. You would not be disappointed by the 105's analog out sonics compared to the 5900.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #7767 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

I currently have an oppo bdp-93 for bd playback and denon dvd-5900 for cd, sacd, and dvd audio. I'm using the denons 5.1 outs and it blows away the oppo when playing anything but bd. I really would like one player for everything and heard one person who replaced his dvd-5900 with the oppo bdp-105. Can anyone else confirm? Also will the 105 be replaced any time soon?

If you are using the Analog outputs of the 5900, I expect the BDP-105 is as good or better.

The 5900 has may have different bass management features so you should also make sure that the 105 meets your requirements.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #7768 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I used to have a Denon DVD-5900 which I replaced with an Oppo BDP-83SE (the predecessor to the BDP-95) and it was clearly much better for CDs, SACDs and DVD-A than the 5900. I could hear details I had never heard on the 5900. I have since added a BDP-105 and it is a bit better yet sonically than the 83SE. You would not be disappointed by the 105's analog out sonics compared to the 5900.

I'll echo this post with the exception of having the Oppo 95 replace a Denon 5900 and then moving to the 105 which indeed did better the 95, the 105 is sonic powerhouse cool.gif

just get one biggrin.gif
post #7769 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have just put the latest beta BDP10X-67-1120B on my oppo but I have just noticed that it does not see any more my JRiver DLNA server.
I don't know yet if it is something on my network or jriver or oppo that has a problem.

How do you put back an older firmware when you have one of the beta installed ?
If I put a thumb drive with the old version it says that I already have the new version.

Thank.
post #7770 of 11417 Old 11-23-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Make sure that you put the BIN file in the main directory of a FAT16 or FAT32 drive, and that you are selecting Firmware Upgrade and VIA USB under Device Setup of the player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page