175Likes

Old 11-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

I have just played a short MKV file stored on a USB flash memory stick plugged into the front panel USB socket. It too refuses to display the PGS subtitles but has no problem with the VOB subs.

A check of this MKV in J River Media Center (which clearly identifies each type of subtitle embedded in the file) confirms the presence of both PGS and VOB subtitles. JRMC has no problem playing both versions.

David
What did you create the MKV file with? From a USB flashdrive, I just played two MKV blu-ray rips created with DVDFab of two French movies w/subtitles and...voila!...they worked beautifully with the Oppo 105. I, too, wish I could do this with DLNA, but be thankful for little favors. smile.gif They'll get there...eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

What did you create the MKV file with? From a USB flashdrive, I just played two MKV blu-ray rips created with DVDFab of two French movies w/subtitles and...voila!...they worked beautifully with the Oppo 105. I, too, wish I could do this with DLNA, but be thankful for little favors. smile.gif They'll get there...eventually.

The original MKV file was created using MakeMKV and then I used MKVMerge to extract a short clip.

Back in August, I found that my chosen software tools for the conversion of PGS subtitles to VOB subtitles resulted in blurry green VOBs on the BDP-105 (though these VOBs displayed perfectly on several software players, as did the PGS subtitles). A different choice of software tools for PGS conversion provided a rather tedious temporary resolution to this problem, which has now been fixed by Oppo in its latest firmware update. Perhaps the Oppo is displaying a similar sensitivity to the process used to create an MKV file.

I played very briefly with a trial copy of DVDFab several months ago but that trial has now expired, so my opportunity to make a proper comparison with MakeMKV has now passed. However, even if DVDFab provided a PGS solution for MKVs on locally attached storage, the fact remains that all my media files are stored on a NAS box. I will just have to continue with PGS to VOB conversions until such time as Oppo supports PGS over DLNA.

David
Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

However, even if DVDFab provided a PGS solution for MKVs on locally attached storage, the fact remains that all my media files are stored on a NAS box. I will just have to continue with PGS to VOB conversions until such time as Oppo supports PGS over DLNA.

David
So, PGS doesn't work via SMB either? Even though your entire media collection is on a NAS, you're not limited to just DLNA with a NAS, unless you have Mac or Windows 8 operating systems.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
Just downloaded a DSD file - Santana Abraxas from Acoustic Sounds. The Oppo finds it and it plays fine, but its only in stereo not multi channel like most of my other SACD and DVD-As. Could it be that it was just recorded that way or am I missing some set up? I’m using my 105 as a pre straight into my amps via 7.1 analog. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

Just downloaded a DSD file - Santana Abraxas from Acoustic Sounds. The Oppo finds it and it plays fine, but its only in stereo not multi channel like most of my other SACD and DVD-As. Could it be that it was just recorded that way or am I missing some set up? I’m using my 105 as a pre straight into my amps via 7.1 analog. Thanks!

It might well just be a stereo track. Do you have the firmware upgrade that allows m-ch DSD?

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 PM

Yes, I have the latest public beta version installed.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Worry not. This DSD version of Abraxis is a stereo file.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have just noticed that playing mkv on my oppo-105 it only send 1080p60 when media in the mkv is at 1080p24. I have tried both through a usb thumb drive and through a dlna server.
Does anybody know how to tell the oppo to play mkv at the recorded frame rate ?

Pressing info show that the bdp-105 know correct frame rate, it is just not sending it to my anthem-d2.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

That's part of the whole point of the 105 Using the USB via a computer..- you can use it like a USB DAC. It works wonderfully.
No it doesn't. It doesn't support DSD either directly or via DoP. It should.. Pretty much every so called DSD capable "DAC" does this these days.. Just sayin..
Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 AM

Ok. I am a 105 owner. I have been for over 9 months now, and I'm sick and tired of waiting for Oppo to come clean with Audiophiles.

Our beloved player remains a "half baked" solution.

It could just about be the best Universal networking streamer and Universal Disc player ever to have been produced on the face of the earth, but it falls short..

So stop spinning the nonsense that this player is "DSD" and "DLNA" compatible. It's not. You cannot stream DSD via UPnP.

You cannot connect this player via USB into a Computer and play DSD files from JRiver or any other DoP source.

Fix the firmware or get on and release a proper player that is 100% DLNA and 100% DSD.

Fix the firmware for the USB input to allow DSD capability via that Input, or release a proper Oppo player that does this.

Stop pussy footing around with CUE sheets and all this other nonsense and do it properly.rolleyes.gif

There. Ive said it. rolleyes.gif
Old 11-30-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

I have just noticed that playing mkv on my oppo-105 it only send 1080p60 when media in the mkv is at 1080p24. I have tried both through a usb thumb drive and through a dlna server.

Pressing info show that the bdp-105 know correct frame rate, it is just not sending it to my anthem-d2.

Thanks.

What happens if you bypass the Anthem? Or use Source Direct or HDMI 2?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

[So stop spinning the nonsense that this player is "DSD" and "DLNA" compatible. It's not. You cannot stream DSD via UPnP.

The player supports DLNA DMP, DLNA DMR and SMB sharing. So it is not a lie that the player is DLNA compliant.

The player also support DSD over attached USB storage and through SMB. So it is not a lie that DSD is supported in the player.

DLNA and DSD are not compatible with each other since DLNA does not allow for mounting the file. The player needs to mount the file to load it, which is why USB and SMB are the only two methods for playing back these formats.
Quote:
Fix the firmware for the USB input to allow DSD capability via that Input, or release a proper Oppo player that does this.

The Asynchronous USB port on the player does not support DSD or DOP. This is a limitation of the chipset and likely will not be something that you see working in a future firmware release.
Quote:
You cannot connect this player via USB into a Computer and play DSD files from JRiver or any other DoP source.

DOP is not really a workaround on the players side, and not a real solution for DSD over Asynchronous USB or DLNA. This is a patchwork, the same kind of stuff that you calling OPPO out for doing a "half baked solution".
Quote:
Stop pussy footing around with CUE sheets and all this other nonsense and do it properly.rolleyes.gif
Would you rather have absolutely NO support for CUE sheets like the player was originally planned to for, or limited support that will be increased in quality and accuracy through firmware? Yeah, I would much prefer the later then having a closed system that is NEVER upgraded to support additional functionality.
TKO1 likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 AM

Yes.

I know all this.

But you have totally missed the point.

The point is you can have one (DLNA) or the other (DSD)

But to make it really functional you need *BOTH*

Otherwise you are going back to the old way of doing things (mounting an SMB share…therefore having to have a monitor on and navigating to the share via the old remote style of navigation) OR

You are using DLNA..and controlling everything by one of these new grovvy apps on the iphone etc.. then you come to playing your DSD file and…. oh darn.. it doesn't work..

So it *is* half baked..

And it's a total nonsense it's not possible to stream a DSD file via DLNA> Do you know what a Lumin is?

This "Can't mount" a DSD file via DLNA argument is just an excuse..what it is telling us is in fact, is the Oppo is old "disc" technology and the so called DSD "streaming" capability (via SMB) is a workaround in disguise.

Mounting a file via SMB is *not* streaming (In the purest sense of the word..)

As far as the USB input port goes: DoP aside, it doesn't accept DSD. Period.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You don't need both to be fully functional. You are splitting hairs. This is analogous to saying that the player should support Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master through the HDMI inputs since it is supported internally by the player as Bit Stream or decoder to LPCM/analog. What works "here" does not need to work "there" to be a fully functional player. Would it be great if the player supported DSD over DLNA? Yes. It is something that should be a demand? No. It is a request, at best, since DSD naked was never in the original specifications of the player when it was announced (and likely when you got it) so you should have known up front the limitations of the players.

The player, let alone the Asynchronous USB port, was not designed to support DSD naked. It wasn't until after that OPPO was able to enable this functionality through USB and SMB. But since OPPO does not control the XMOS solution, and the XMOS solution is far less programmable then the MediaTek SOC, they were not able to add DSD over Asynchronous USB. Not even as the DOP workaround. There will always be inherent hardware and software limitations, and unfortunately for SACD users who prefer using their computers as the decoder device, DSD over Asynchronous USB is not going to be a future reality.
Quote:
Otherwise you are going back to the old way of doing things (mounting an SMB share…therefore having to have a monitor on and navigating to the share via the old remote style of navigation) OR

You are using DLNA..and controlling everything by one of these new grovvy apps on the iphone etc.. then you come to playing your DSD file and…. oh darn.. it doesn't work..

Umm, you do realize that OPPO already has the MediaControlHD which supports SMB sharing? And likely, in the future, will support DSD. So, no, you are not "stuck" with the old way of doing things since the player will, eventually, allow for you to access the files and folders through SMB shares using the MediaControlHD on iPad/Pod/Touch and Android devices. So you will lose absolutely nothing using SMB for DSD in the future.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

Thanks.

What firmware are you running? The recently released beta fixes this.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What firmware are you running? The recently released beta fixes this.

-Bill
I am currently using the 60-0910 firmware. I was trying the latest beta and had to revert to this one to get it to talk to my JRiver DLNA server.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

I am currently using the 60-0910 firmware. I was trying the latest beta and had to revert to this one to get it to talk to my JRiver DLNA server.

Looks like if you want both features you'll have to wait for future firmware.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 11-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never controlled the JRiver dlna server and played media direct from the Oppo's browser. Never needed to. I can control the server from either my PC, which runs my server, or from the JRemote app, which runs on my iPad. No need to have your monitor/tv on to run dlna services when playing audio files. The goal, at least for me, is to be able to keep my tv/monitor off for audio playback, saving electricity, while still having full access to my media database on my NAS.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 122
^^^

...unless, of course, one is streaming video. Then having the TV/Monitory turned on seems rather necessary ;-p

Than being said, I do the same for audio - and still use JRMC and JRemote for browsing and control when streaming video, and that functionality works fine with the latest beta.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

^ biggrin.gif True. I should have said for "audio" only.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ever since I installed the latest beta firmware(1120B) for my Oppo 105, the first few seconds of each dvd-audio disc are not heard. SACDs play fine and do not skip the first few seconds. I did do the factory reset as recommended after installing the firmware. I have not tried another factory reset yet but that may be what I need to do. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem since installing latest beta firmware. Thanks for any input.

Matt
Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Ever since I installed the latest beta firmware(1120B) for my Oppo 105, the first few seconds of each dvd-audio disc are not heard. SACDs play fine and do not skip the first few seconds. I did do the factory reset as recommended after installing the firmware. I have not tried another factory reset yet but that may be what I need to do. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem since installing latest beta firmware. Thanks for any input.
I sometimes (not always) observe the same behavior when streaming high-res and multichannel flacs to the 103 via dlna.
When it does happen, it only happens on the first high-res/surround song I play after power up or after playing 44/16 stereo stuff.
Even under these circumstances, it does not happen all the time.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

I sometimes (not always) observe the same behavior when streaming high-res and multichannel flacs to the 103 via dlna.
When it does happen, it only happens on the first high-res/surround song I play after power up or after playing 44/16 stereo stuff.
Even under these circumstances, it does not happen all the time.

Thanks for the input. It really is odd that it only affects dvd audio discs.

Matt
Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:

Typically this is due to the delay in your HDMI devices in switching gears for the new, incoming audio format.

If you have Analog audio hooked up, try this. Set HDMI Audio OFF and listen on the Analog outputs. Do you still hear the startup delay?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

. . . .

There. Ive said it. rolleyes.gif

If you bought your player 9 months ago, that would be, what, March? DSD media files support via directly attached storage WHICH IS ALL OPPO EVER DESCRIBED IT AS didn't hit Official firmware until May. At which point the added functionality was a free upgrade to the player you already owned. Take a deep breath and repeat that. Free.

You want more? Fine. No problem. It might even happen. OPPO has repeatedly surprised us with new functionality we didn't think was in the cards. But your implication that you are ENTITLED to more simply because OPPO added THIS much to the player is simply bizarre.

Heck, you could own a BDP-83 or 93 or 95 and not have even THIS level of DSD media files support, nor any chance of getting it.

Are you suggesting OPPO shouldn't have released the current level of DSD support because it didn't also include the extra parts you want?

Suppose the answer is that the extra stuff you want will NEVER be added to the 103/105/103D generation of players. Now what? For the sake of argument, let's even conjecture it IS a solvable engineering problem; would adding it make these better players? Better enough that they might now be called a 113 or 115?

For the longest time the 93 and 95 didn't have DVD 24p Conversion because OPPO couldn't find a way to make it work well enough. When the 103/105 were being worked on, OPPO FOUND a way -- and then retrofitted that BACK into the 93/95. For Free. Could the same thing happen here? Will OPPO's other priorities preclude them from doing additional work on DSD until the next generation of players? I certainly don't know.

But one thing you can be pretty sure of, OPPO won't say it's coming until they have high confidence they can deliver it. Until that point, all you'll get is variations on the theme, "We don't know how to do it yet".

By the way, what part of the DLNA Certification spec requires the player to support DSD?
--Bob
TKO1 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Typically this is due to the delay in your HDMI devices in switching gears for the new, incoming audio format.

If you have Analog audio hooked up, try this. Set HDMI Audio OFF and listen on the Analog outputs. Do you still hear the startup delay?
--Bob

I am using the analog connections and I tried turning the hdmi audio off but it did not help at all. I then switched over to hdmi and the delay was there as well but not as much as it was when using the analog connections. I may do a factory reset. Thanks for the help.

Matt
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

I am using the analog connections and I tried turning the hdmi audio off but it did not help at all. I then switched over to hdmi and the delay was there as well but not as much as it was when using the analog connections. I may do a factory reset. Thanks for the help.

OK, the fact that it is happening on Analog with HDMI Audio OFF is certainly a key piece of information. Yes, do try a player Reset, but if that doesn't fix the problem please email OPPO Tech Support with the details. Include the firmware version installed in the 105 and also the bar code numbers off the packaging for the discs you are using to test this.

One other thing to try: If you are currently using Source Direct, switch the 105 to a fixed video output resolution -- i.e. 1080p. Test again with HDMI Audio OFF.
--Bob

Old 11-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:

OK, the fact that it is happening on Analog with HDMI Audio OFF is certainly a key piece of information. Yes, do try a player Reset, but if that doesn't fix the problem please email OPPO Tech Support with the details. Include the firmware version installed in the 105 and also the bar code numbers off the packaging for the discs you are using to test this.

One other thing to try: If you are currently using Source Direct, switch the 105 to a fixed video output resolution -- i.e. 1080p. Test again with HDMI Audio OFF.
--Bob

Thanks Bob for the additional input. I will try your suggestions. Thanks again.

Matt
Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:

If you bought your player 9 months ago, that would be, what, March? DSD media files support via directly attached storage WHICH IS ALL OPPO EVER DESCRIBED IT AS didn't hit Official firmware until May. At which point the added functionality was a free upgrade to the player you already owned. Take a deep breath and repeat that. Free.

You want more? Fine. No problem. It might even happen. OPPO has repeatedly surprised us with new functionality we didn't think was in the cards. But your implication that you are ENTITLED to more simply because OPPO added THIS much to the player is simply bizarre.

Heck, you could own a BDP-83 or 93 or 95 and not have even THIS level of DSD media files support, nor any chance of getting it.

Are you suggesting OPPO shouldn't have released the current level of DSD support because it didn't also include the extra parts you want?

Suppose the answer is that the extra stuff you want will NEVER be added to the 103/105/103D generation of players. Now what? For the sake of argument, let's even conjecture it IS a solvable engineering problem; would adding it make these better players? Better enough that they might now be called a 113 or 115?

For the longest time the 93 and 95 didn't have DVD 24p Conversion because OPPO couldn't find a way to make it work well enough. When the 103/105 were being worked on, OPPO FOUND a way -- and then retrofitted that BACK into the 93/95. For Free. Could the same thing happen here? Will OPPO's other priorities preclude them from doing additional work on DSD until the next generation of players? I certainly don't know.

But one thing you can be pretty sure of, OPPO won't say it's coming until they have high confidence they can deliver it. Until that point, all you'll get is variations on the theme, "We don't know how to do it yet".

By the way, what part of the DLNA Certification spec requires the player to support DSD?
--Bob

Whatever dude.. I bought it in March after reading this. Check the date.. smile.gif

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files

I never said I was ungrateful or resentful.. I was simply pointing out the deficiencies of DSD file handling. And that this will eventually limit the search and playability of these files (particularly from large libraries) via the Oppo because of the restriction to SMB mounting of these files

This is a fact. Take it or leave it.. smile.gif
Old 12-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Oh I'll take it. I've no argument with your point that the players would be significantly enhanced with the additional features you describe. There are LOTS of things that could be added to the players to make them better. Heck, some of them might even happen!

You might want to duke it out with the Gapless crowd, for example, on whether additional support for Gapless playback is more important than additional support for DSD at the moment. Or SMB support for Windows 8, or lossless Bitstream support for the HDMI Inputs, or etc., etc.

But since you point to Kal's article -- which by the way came out the day after Beta (not Official) software posted with these features -- you'll see that he was quite careful to report the limitations of this support: Directly attached storage only, just as OPPO described it in the Beta release notes. (He knew this well, because OPPO made a pre-release version of the firmware available to him for review.) As it turns out, this is a bit more restrictive than what the software actually allows, since he did not realize at the time that SMB servers could also be used.

Can we at least agree there's no "spin" here (your term)? The player really is DLNA certified for DMP and DMR use, and it does exactly what OPPO said it would do for DSD support. Your post suggests OPPO is lying about this stuff, and that's simply not the case.

We all have things we'd like to lobby for in terms of future support in firmware, not to mention stuff we'd like to see added in future player hardware. I'd hope that could be done in this thread without resorting to such loaded language.
--Bob
TKO1 likes this.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player