Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #8101 of 11453 Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well I guess I answered my own question. I just purchased the Scosche Boom Stick Sound Level Meter from The Source for $50.00. The Source is what became of Radio Shack in Canada about 5 years ago. I ran the Oppo test tones against the meter and you know, the settings I had inputted by ear were close but not right on. And it definitely made a significant difference in the surround listening experience.

What did I learn - I should have bought this meter the day I first set up my 5.1 system. My ears are not good enough to get the levels right. At the same time today is another great day because I've managed to improve my system once again. Might have to pick up that calibration disc too.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question about the balanced stereo outputs. Are the multi-channel analog fl and fr outputs and the balanced fl and fr analog outputs mutually exclusive? I would like to run the balance analog outputs on the 105 to the balanced CD inputs on my B&K ref 50 to take advantage of the DACS, AND connect all (really only 5.1) of the 105's RCA analog outputs to the B&K"s 5.1 analog inputs. Is this possible?

Thanks
Asterus likes this.
post #8103 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHHill View Post

Question about the balanced stereo outputs. Are the multi-channel analog fl and fr outputs and the balanced fl and fr analog outputs mutually exclusive? I would like to run the balance analog outputs on the 105 to the balanced CD inputs on my B&K ref 50 to take advantage of the DACS, AND connect all (really only 5.1) of the 105's RCA analog outputs to the B&K"s 5.1 analog inputs. Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes. Set Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO to configure the output of the XLR Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R jacks. (Note: This is not the same setting as the "Down Mix" setting in Speaker Configuration.) Wire the normal RCA jacks from the multi-channel Analog output set to your Analog 5.1 inputs. Set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix = 5.1 to configure those multi-channel jacks. Do NOT use the RCA Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R jacks in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks in the multi-channel set, because you have now configured the Dedicated Stereo outputs (both XLR and RCA) for independent operation as DOWN-MIXED STEREO only.

The Crossover choice, and the rest of the settings in Speaker Configuration, will ONLY affect your 5.1 Analog multi-channel hookup. Not the Stereo Analog connection, and not any of the Digital audio outputs (e.g., HDMI).

Volume control will affect both the Stereo and 5.1 Analog hookups. Both of the Analog hookups will be live simultaneously. Note that by design, the XLR outputs are +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. If your B&K does not have its own compensation for that on its XLR inputs, you should expect a Volume adjustment when switching between the two styles of Analog hookup.
--Bob
Asterus likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8104 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, there. smile.gif I am a new member here. Sorry for my bad english.

I've got question about new firmware. My PS3 was connected to oppo HDMI 1 and all was just fine, until i decide to update the factory firmware. After updating i get so much higlhly input lag, that i can't gaming anymore. I've tried power-cycling and reinstall my firmware. Checked that it has the latest firmware and than reseting to the factory defaults. it's become a little bit better, but lag is still much higher than it was on factory firmware. What i need to do to fix it? Or is it a new firmware problem?

I need to notice that input lag on HDMI 2 didn't change. It's the same as on HDMI 1 before updating.

Thanks
post #8105 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 140
^^ Bob, I read this in the B&K ref 50 user's manual:

Page 10:

9. Unbalanced / Balanced input selector - set switch to off (out) to select the unbalanced line input or on (in) for the balanced input. Note: Do not connect both balanced and unbalanced inputs at the same time.

So, if this is the case, I don't think CHHill will be able to do what you're asking.
post #8106 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^^ Bob, I read this in the B&K ref 50 user's manual:

Page 10:

9. Unbalanced / Balanced input selector - set switch to off (out) to select the unbalanced line input or on (in) for the balanced input. Note: Do not connect both balanced and unbalanced inputs at the same time.

So, if this is the case, I don't think CHHill will be able to do what you're asking.

Alas, if that restriction in the B&K applies when attempting connect XLR *STEREO* and RCA *MULTI-CHANNEL* at the same time, then you are right. He'll need a different, less restrictive, pre-amp to do this. However it may be that the B&K restriction only applies when attempting to use the two types of connectors simultaneously for the *SAME* form of input -- i.e., XLR+RCA to a Stereo jack input pair, or XLR+RCA to the Multi-channel jacks -- whereas XLR to Stereo and RCA to multi-channel is still OK. Some B&K expert will need to answer this.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8107 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks to everyone! It looks like the Oppo can do what I want so now I just need to verify the B&K can. I know that balanced inputs are only provided for either CD or DVD use and those inputs are assigned in the setup. Of course, RCA inputs are provided for those two and other input devices. The multi-channel input on the B&K in only RCA. I will check my manual and look at the back of the unit.

Again, thanks to all!!
post #8108 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Quick correction...the B&K has balanced inputs for both CD and DVD.
post #8109 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 AM

I currently have an 83SE which has considerable clicking transport noise(mechanical). I'd like to upgrade to a 105 but I'm concerned I'll run into the same problem. Anyone out there having issues with mechanical transport noise? Feedback would be greatly appreciatd.
post #8110 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. Set Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO to configure the output of the XLR Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R jacks. (Note: This is not the same setting as the "Down Mix" setting in Speaker Configuration.) Wire the normal RCA jacks from the multi-channel Analog output set to your Analog 5.1 inputs. Set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix = 5.1 to configure those multi-channel jacks. Do NOT use the RCA Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R jacks in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks in the multi-channel set, because you have now configured the Dedicated Stereo outputs (both XLR and RCA) for independent operation as DOWN-MIXED STEREO only.

The Crossover choice, and the rest of the settings in Speaker Configuration, will ONLY affect your 5.1 Analog multi-channel hookup. Not the Stereo Analog connection, and not any of the Digital audio outputs (e.g., HDMI).

Volume control will affect both the Stereo and 5.1 Analog hookups. Both of the Analog hookups will be live simultaneously. Note that by design, the XLR outputs are +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. If your B&K does not have its own compensation for that on its XLR inputs, you should expect a Volume adjustment when switching between the two styles of Analog hookup.
--Bob

Bob,
Just to be sure -

under audio processing, speaker configuration I set the down mix = 5.1.
under audio processing, stereo signal (about eight clicks down, just under XLR polarity) set stereo signal = down-mixed stereo.

connect xlr outputs on 105 to CD xlr inputs on B&K
connect multi-channel RCA 5.1 outputs on 105 to multi-channel RCA inputs on B&K

I have volume = fixed so I have no volume control via the 105.

The balanced outputs are +6dB, I will see if the B&K compensates or not.

Thanks,

Chuck
post #8111 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 PM

OK - this is going to be really basic stuff, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to digital media.,,,,

I've ripped a few CDs into WAV files on my PC with either Windows Media Player or Roxio (10 I think). I copied about 4 Gig of the WAVs onto a thumb drive (a HP with 16 Gig capacity), plugged the thumb drive into the front USB port on the Oppo 105 and tried to play them. Although the GUI on the Oppo recognized and listed the WAVs it wouldn't play any of them. If I tried to play one, the Oppo would lock-up on me and I'd have to power it down to recover.

This should be really basic stuff right? Any ideas where the issue(s) might be?

Thanks In Advance,
JD
post #8112 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bob,
Just to be sure -

under audio processing, speaker configuration I set the down mix = 5.1.
under audio processing, stereo signal (about eight clicks down, just under XLR polarity) set stereo signal = down-mixed stereo.

connect xlr outputs on 105 to CD xlr inputs on B&K
connect multi-channel RCA 5.1 outputs on 105 to multi-channel RCA inputs on B&K

I have volume = fixed so I have no volume control via the 105.

The balanced outputs are +6dB, I will see if the B&K compensates or not.

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck, just to be clear, Bob and I assume no responsibility if you damage your equipment. Are you sure you can connect xlr and rca inputs on your B&K simultaneously? I read in your manual the recommendation NOT to do this. Just use all RCA outs on the 105. It looks as though your preamp internally converts unbalanced signals to balanced anyway.....use your surround balanced outputs to your amp.
post #8113 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

OK - this is going to be really basic stuff, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to digital media.,,,,

I've ripped a few CDs into WAV files on my PC with either Windows Media Player or Roxio (10 I think). I copied about 4 Gig of the WAVs onto a thumb drive (a HP with 16 Gig capacity), plugged the thumb drive into the front USB port on the Oppo 105 and tried to play them. Although the GUI on the Oppo recognized and listed the WAVs it wouldn't play any of them. If I tried to play one, the Oppo would lock-up on me and I'd have to power it down to recover.

Thanks In Advance,
JD

There is a free utility called mediainfo. Post the results of the text file output from that and we'll compare it to WAV file known to run.

You might also try converting a selection of files to FLAC, which will save space and still be losslessly compressed. And perhaps less troublesome.

-Bill
post #8114 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Chuck, just to be clear, Bob and I assume no responsibility if you damage your equipment. Are you sure you can connect xlr and rca inputs on your B&K simultaneously? I read in your manual the recommendation NOT to do this. Just use all RCA outs on the 105. It looks as though your preamp internally converts unbalanced signals to balanced anyway.....use your surround balanced outputs to your amp.

Thanks. And, I fully understand what you are saying and would not hold anyone other than me responsible for what I do. I do appreciate your wanting to be sure though.

The B&K 5.1 inputs are only RCA and only one input can be assigned to those 5.1 connections. There are other inputs (CD, TV, Tape, etc.) two of which allow for either RCA or balanced connections. These two are CD and DVD. There is a button at the XLR connection for these two inputs that turns off or on the connection. I have the analog RCA outputs on the 105 connected to the 5.1 analog RCA input connections on the B&K and that input designated as the one and only 5.1 channel input. I've had that connected for a few days and it works great. I also have the 7 channel outputs from the B&K running via XLR cables to the amp. Those outputs on the Ref 50 and inputs on the 200.7 also have the buttons to set whether balanced or RCA connections are being used.

I am wanting to take advantage of the stereo DACs in the 105 which is why I asked if I could use both connections versus one or the other.

The CD and DVD inputs on the B&K are not currently used. I've gone into the setup menu and set the CD input as 2 channel direct bypass so there will be no processing done to the signal. I verified that the XLR pins on the two match. I have some extra XLR cables on hand but they are pretty long (6 ft) so I've ordered some short ones from Bluejeans. I may pull everything away from the wall and climb back there and hook up the cables I have if I can't wait but it's a hassle so I am not sure.

I was mainly making sure I had the settings on the 105 correct for using the two outputs, the multi-channel and the stereo.

I really appreciate all the help I've received.

To be sure, I will report back how it works - or doesn't.

Thanks

Chuck
post #8115 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ For most people, XLR and RCA connections will sound IDENTICAL -- they both use the same DACs for the OPPO output. So if you are not sure about the ability to connect XLR stereo while also connecting RCA multi-channel to your pre-amp, then just use RCA for both and be happy! Same settings.

XLR improves rejection of interference that might otherwise penetrate the cable shielding along the length of the cable. However, that''s typically not a problem at home due to shorter cable lengths, lack of sources of interference, and decent shielding already present in decent RCA cables. Other than this theoretical improvement in interference rejection, there is no difference inherent in XLR. The Dedicated Stereo XLR and RCA pairs have the same output from the same DACs.
--Bob
Asterus likes this.

post #8116 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. And, I fully understand what you are saying and would not hold anyone other than me responsible for what I do. I do appreciate your wanting to be sure though.

I am wanting to take advantage of the stereo DACs in the 105 which is why I asked if I could use both connections versus one or the other.

I've gone into the setup menu and set the CD input as 2 channel direct bypass so there will be no processing done to the signal. I verified that the XLR pins on the two match. I have some extra XLR cables on hand but they are pretty long (6 ft) so I've ordered some short ones from Bluejeans. I may pull everything away from the wall and climb back there and hook up the cables I have if I can't wait but it's a hassle so I am not sure.

I was mainly making sure I had the settings on the 105 correct for using the two outputs, the multi-channel and the stereo.

I really appreciate all the help I've received.

To be sure, I will report back how it works - or doesn't.

Thanks

Chuck
If it was me, I wouldn't use the xlr outputs on the 105, since you are taking advantage of your XLR outputs on your preamp. I'd use the RCA outputs on the 105's dedicated stereo section. XLR cable length should be of no concern to you....you can have 100 ft xlr cable with no audible emi/rfi noise or degradation of the audio signal. That's inherent in the design of XLR cable, if you have a true balanced design from end to end.
post #8117 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Oh, okay, I guess I misunderstood the Oppo. I thought it had two dedicated DACs for the stereo outputs and a different DAC that handles the multi-channel outputs. If the same DAC handles it all it doesn't matter.

Thanks!!
post #8118 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:

Thanks In Advance,
JD

There is a free utility called mediainfo. Post the results of the text file output from that and we'll compare it to WAV file known to run.

You might also try converting a selection of files to FLAC, which will save space and still be losslessly compressed. And perhaps less troublesome.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. See below:

General
Complete name : L:\\East Hastings.WAV
Format : Wave
File size : 181 MiB
Duration : 17mn 58s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 1 411 Kbps

Audio
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Duration : 17mn 58s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 181 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\Providence.WAV
File size : 293 MiB
Duration : 29mn 2s

Audio
Duration : 29mn 2s
Stream size : 293 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\The Dead Flag Blues.WAV
File size : 166 MiB
Duration : 16mn 27s

Audio
Stream size : 166 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - 09-15-00, Pt. 1.WAV
File size : 166 MiB

Audio
Stream size : 166 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - 09-15-00, Pt. 2.WAV
File size : 63.4 MiB
Duration : 6mn 16s

Audio
Duration : 6mn 16s
Stream size : 63.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - Rockets Fall On Rocket Falls.WAV
File size : 209 MiB
Duration : 20mn 42s

Audio
Duration : 20mn 42s
Stream size : 209 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - Mother******=Redeemer, Pt. 1.WAV
File size : 216 MiB
Duration : 21mn 22s

Audio
Duration : 21mn 22s
Stream size : 216 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - Mother******=Redeemer, Pt. 2.WAV
File size : 103 MiB
Duration : 10mn 10s

Audio
Duration : 10mn 10s
Stream size : 103 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\How This Will End.wav
File size : 115 MiB
Duration : 11mn 23s
Track name : 04 - HOW THIS WILL END
Recorded date : 0
Archival location : 0
rxtg : day=ÿþ0

Audio
Duration : 11mn 23s
Stream size : 115 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\It Swarms.wav
File size : 87.1 MiB
Duration : 8mn 37s
Track name : 02 - IT SWARMS

Audio
Duration : 8mn 37s
Stream size : 87.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\Lullabye.wav
File size : 95.4 MiB
Duration : 9mn 27s
Track name : 01 - LULLABYE

Audio
Duration : 9mn 27s
Stream size : 95.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\Patterns.wav
File size : 96.8 MiB
Duration : 9mn 35s
Track name : 05 - PATTERNS

Audio
Duration : 9mn 35s
Stream size : 96.8 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\Sharpen Your Axes.wav
File size : 69.9 MiB
Duration : 6mn 55s
Track name : 03 - SHARPEN YOUR AXES

Audio
Duration : 6mn 55s
Stream size : 69.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\The Other Son.wav
File size : 73.9 MiB
Duration : 7mn 19s
Track name : 06 - THE OTHER SON

Audio
Duration : 7mn 19s
Stream size : 73.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box.WAV
File size : 40.4 MiB
Duration : 4mn 0s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 0s
Stream size : 40.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - Pyramid Song.WAV
File size : 48.6 MiB
Duration : 4mn 48s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 48s
Stream size : 48.6 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - PulkPull Revolving Doors.WAV
File size : 41.6 MiB
Duration : 4mn 7s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 7s
Stream size : 41.6 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - You And Whose Army.WAV
File size : 32.1 MiB
Duration : 3mn 11s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 11s
Stream size : 32.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - I Might Be Wrong.WAV
File size : 49.4 MiB
Duration : 4mn 53s

Audio
Stream size : 49.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\06 - Knives Out.WAV
File size : 42.9 MiB
Duration : 4mn 14s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 14s
Stream size : 42.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\07 - Morning BellAmnesiac.WAV
File size : 32.7 MiB
Duration : 3mn 14s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 14s
Stream size : 32.7 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\08 - Dollars & Cents.WAV
File size : 49.1 MiB
Duration : 4mn 51s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 51s
Stream size : 49.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\09 - Hunting Bears.WAV
File size : 20.4 MiB
Duration : 2mn 1s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 1s
Stream size : 20.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\11 - Life In A Glass House.WAV
File size : 46.2 MiB
Duration : 4mn 34s

Audio
Stream size : 46.2 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\10 - Like Spinning Plates.WAV
File size : 39.9 MiB
Duration : 3mn 57s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 57s
Stream size : 39.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - Everything in Its Right Place.WAV
File size : 42.3 MiB
Duration : 4mn 11s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 11s
Stream size : 42.3 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - Kid A.WAV
File size : 47.9 MiB
Duration : 4mn 44s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 44s
Stream size : 47.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - The National Anthem.WAV
File size : 59.2 MiB
Duration : 5mn 51s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 51s
Stream size : 59.2 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - How To Disappear Completely.WAV
File size : 59.9 MiB
Duration : 5mn 56s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 56s
Stream size : 59.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - Treefingers.WAV
File size : 37.4 MiB
Duration : 3mn 42s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 42s
Stream size : 37.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\06 - Optimistic.WAV
File size : 53.2 MiB
Duration : 5mn 15s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 15s
Stream size : 53.2 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\07 - In Limbo.WAV
File size : 35.5 MiB
Duration : 3mn 31s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 31s
Stream size : 35.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\08 - Idioteque.WAV
File size : 52.0 MiB
Duration : 5mn 9s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 9s
Stream size : 52.0 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\09 - Morning Bell.WAV
File size : 46.4 MiB
Duration : 4mn 35s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 35s
Stream size : 46.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\10 - Motion Picture Soundtrack.WAV
File size : 70.9 MiB
Duration : 7mn 1s

Audio
Duration : 7mn 1s
Stream size : 70.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - 15 Step.WAV
File size : 40.1 MiB
Duration : 3mn 58s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 58s
Stream size : 40.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - Bodysnatchers.WAV
File size : 40.8 MiB
Duration : 4mn 2s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 2s
Stream size : 40.8 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - Nude.WAV
File size : 43.0 MiB
Duration : 4mn 15s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 15s
Stream size : 43.0 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - Weird FishesArpeggi.WAV
File size : 53.5 MiB
Duration : 5mn 18s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 18s
Stream size : 53.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - All I Need.WAV
File size : 38.5 MiB
Duration : 3mn 48s

Audio
Stream size : 38.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\06 - Faust Arp.WAV
File size : 21.8 MiB
Duration : 2mn 9s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 9s
Stream size : 21.8 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\07 - Reckoner.WAV
File size : 48.8 MiB
Duration : 4mn 50s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 50s
Stream size : 48.8 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\08 - House Of Cards.WAV
File size : 55.2 MiB
Duration : 5mn 28s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 28s
Stream size : 55.2 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\09 - Jigsaw Falling Into Place.WAV
File size : 41.9 MiB
Duration : 4mn 8s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 8s
Stream size : 41.9 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\10 - Videotape.WAV
File size : 47.4 MiB
Duration : 4mn 41s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 41s
Stream size : 47.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - Hunted By A Freak.WAV
File size : 43.1 MiB
Duration : 4mn 16s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 16s
Stream size : 43.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - Moses I Amn't.WAV
File size : 30.5 MiB
Duration : 3mn 1s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 1s
Stream size : 30.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - Kids Will Be Skeletons.WAV
File size : 55.0 MiB
Duration : 5mn 27s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 27s
Stream size : 55.0 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - Killing All The Flies.WAV
File size : 46.3 MiB

Audio
Stream size : 46.3 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep.WAV
File size : 31.1 MiB
Duration : 3mn 5s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 5s
Stream size : 31.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\06 - Ratts Of The Capital.WAV
File size : 85.0 MiB
Duration : 8mn 25s

Audio
Duration : 8mn 25s
Stream size : 85.0 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\07 - Golden Porsche.WAV
File size : 28.3 MiB
Duration : 2mn 48s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 48s
Stream size : 28.3 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\08 - I Know You Are But What Am I.WAV
File size : 53.4 MiB
Duration : 5mn 17s

Audio
Duration : 5mn 17s
Stream size : 53.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\09 - Stop Coming To My House.WAV
File size : 49.4 MiB

Audio
Stream size : 49.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\01 - Crusher Destroyer.WAV
File size : 20.2 MiB
Duration : 2mn 0s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 0s
Stream size : 20.2 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\02 - March Of The Fire Ants.WAV
File size : 44.7 MiB
Duration : 4mn 25s

Audio
Duration : 4mn 25s
Stream size : 44.7 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\03 - Where Strides The Behemoth.WAV
File size : 29.5 MiB
Duration : 2mn 55s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 55s
Stream size : 29.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\04 - Workhorse.WAV
File size : 38.0 MiB
Duration : 3mn 45s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 45s
Stream size : 38.0 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\05 - Ol'e Nessie.WAV
File size : 61.3 MiB
Duration : 6mn 4s

Audio
Duration : 6mn 4s
Stream size : 61.3 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\06 - Burning Man.WAV
File size : 28.1 MiB
Duration : 2mn 46s

Audio
Duration : 2mn 46s
Stream size : 28.1 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\07 - Trainwreck.WAV
File size : 71.4 MiB
Duration : 7mn 4s

Audio
Duration : 7mn 4s
Stream size : 71.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\08 - Trampled Under Hoof.WAV
File size : 30.4 MiB
Duration : 3mn 0s

Audio
Duration : 3mn 0s
Stream size : 30.4 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\09 - Trilobite.WAV
File size : 65.5 MiB
Duration : 6mn 29s

Audio
Duration : 6mn 29s
Stream size : 65.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\10 - Mother Puncher.WAV
File size : 38.5 MiB

Audio
Stream size : 38.5 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : L:\\11 - Elephant Man.WAV
File size : 81.1 MiB
Duration : 8mn 1s

Audio
Duration : 8mn 1s
Stream size : 81.1 MiB (100%)
post #8119 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, okay, I guess I misunderstood the Oppo. I thought it had two dedicated DACs for the stereo outputs and a different DAC that handles the multi-channel outputs. If the same DAC handles it all it doesn't matter.

Thanks!!
It has 2 DACs, total. One for the multi-channel section, and one for the dedicated stereo section. Utilize the 105's dedicated stereo outputs whenever possible.....it will produce higher fidelity audio than the FL/FR audio outputs in the multi-channel section.
post #8120 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Cool. So, regardless of which type of connection I go with (RCA or XLR), using the Oppo settings Bob gave me will allow me to utilize the dedicated stereo DAC for 2 channel CD, SACD, etc. music while still using the multi-channel Oppo outputs for multi-channel SACDs and movies, correct?

I guess I blurred my question by stating a particular type connection. Sorry for confusing things. I was just trying to see if and how I could take advantage of both. I'd seen on the thread how to use the front right and left stereo outputs in lieu of using the front right and left of the multi-channel outputs but want to use both.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Chuck
post #8121 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

^ You've got it, Chuck! Oppo's dedicated stereo section utilizes rca or xlr....your choice!
post #8122 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 15
I have a totally analog stereo full range audio set up. I want the best possible quality regardless of source (cable TV, USB drive with music files, CD, SACD, BR & DVD) using the dedicated stereo outs. I have the "Stereo Signal" set to "Down-mixed Stereo." Based on Bob's recent explanation how to use the stereo outs and the multi-channel outputs simultaneously, I would think the settings under "Speaker Configuration" would NOT affect what I hear. But they DO. When I listen while changing the configuration to RT/LT, Stereo, 5.1, and 7.1, there is an audible difference in every different setting. I was under the impression that the "Speaker Configuration" settings ONLY impact the multi-channel outputs. It seems that to get full ambience channels from my cable TV 5.1 (and any other non-2.0 source), I need to have Speaker Configuration set to LT/RT and Stereo Signal set to Down-mixed Stereo. Is that correct? Is that something I should even want, or should I trust that the various audio engineers are mixing correctly for pure stereo and so I should NOT increase the ambience in my front (only) speakers?

Can someone please resolve my confusion?? I've looked at all the audio related posts, and just when I think I grasp the audio settings, I realize I may not quite have it!

Thanks in advance...

Paul
post #8123 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Double check that you have Stereo Signal (Audio Processing) set to Down-mixed Stereo and not Front Left/Right. If it is not set to Down-mixed Stereo, then the dedicated stereo and XLR outputs will be affected by the Speaker Configuration settings.
post #8124 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Double check that you have Stereo Signal (Audio Processing) set to Down-mixed Stereo and not Front Left/Right. If it is not set to Down-mixed Stereo, then the dedicated stereo and XLR outputs will be affected by the Speaker Configuration settings.

It is set to Down-mixed Stereo. When I go to speaker config and cycle through the mix modes, the output is affected (in the dedicated stereo outs). It's not subtle. Strange, because I would've thought they what you're saying is accurate. Thus my confusion.
post #8125 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

Quote:

It is set to Down-mixed Stereo. When I go to speaker config and cycle through the mix modes, the output is affected (in the dedicated stereo outs). It's not subtle. Strange, because I would've thought they what you're saying is accurate. Thus my confusion.

Are you using the latest firmware (Main firmware version ends 1204)? In older firmware there was a bug where the Stereo Signal setting could function opposite to what you set it to.
--Bob

post #8126 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

Quote:

Are you using the latest firmware (Main firmware version ends 1204)? In older firmware there was a bug where the Stereo Signal setting could function opposite to what you set it to.
--Bob

Yes. The latest FW.
post #8127 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Thanks Bill. See below:

That was a generous sampling.

I don't see anything wrong with the info. If you could upload a small sample file somewhere we could try to reproduce the problem. Or contact OPPO and ask if they want a sample file.

-Bill
post #8128 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:

^ You've got it, Chuck! Oppo's dedicated stereo section utilizes rca or xlr....your choice!
Am I safe to say that if I’m using the 105 as a pre/pro straight into my amps via multi-channel 7.1 that I can not do both as Chuck is able to do correct? Thanks!
post #8129 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

Am I safe to say that if I’m using the 105 as a pre/pro straight into my amps via multi-channel 7.1 that I can not do both as Chuck is able to do correct? Thanks!
I'm not sure what you're implying. I don't know what audio hardware you have. All I can tell you is that the 105's analog audio outputs are always active. Any limitiations to use xlr and rca together will depend on your other audio components.
post #8130 of 11453 Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're implying. I don't know what audio hardware you have. All I can tell you is that the 105's analog audio outputs are always active. Any limitiations to use xlr and rca together will depend on your other audio components.
My audio components consist of just the 105 and two amps; 5 channel and 2 channel. I don’t currently have a pre/pro or a receiver, so I don’t think I can do both 7.1 multi channel and rca/xlr to my amps it would have to be one or the other.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page