Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #8281 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 192
^ Slinkee, how are you even referring to the 105 as a passive preamp? Please explain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This definition is from tortugaaudio website:

What is a Passive Preamplifier?

In defining a passive preamp it’s helpful to compare it to the more common alternative which is an active preamp.

In general, all preamplifiers do at least these 2 things:

Provide volume control (attenuation)
Switch between multiple inputs

Active preamps do one additional thing. They provide some degree of active amplification (gain) to the audio signal. This involves power supplies, capacitors, tubes and/or opamps etc – which means additional “messing with the audio signal” – which rarely provides net improvement.

I don't believe that the oppo adds any gain to the equation, and that is what would make it passive.
post #8283 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My interpretation of passive means no active circuitry, thus no power supply. You need power to get a signal out of the 105. The volume control on the 105 is not passive.
mtn-tech likes this.
post #8284 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

My interpretation of passive means no active circuitry, thus no power supply. You need power to get a signal out of the 105. The volume control on the 105 is not passive.

Agreed.  Just because something is on the Internet, it does not mean it is correct.  :eek:

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8285 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a problem with "pops and crackle" when playing files through my computer. This is a new problem as it didn't happen before. I hadn't played any files in more than a month, so this could be related to the latest updates (I only get official updates - not Betas).

Details: I have an HTPC (Windows 7) connected to my Oppo via the USB DAC (input 8). I use Foobar to play files. I'm using the analog outputs (5.1) going to a pre-amp which has 5.1 inputs. All the music is only 2-channel and mainly MP3. The first couple of tracks play perfect. In the middle of the 3rd or 4th track, I start getting very loud pops and clicks. If I restart playing the file, or even if I pause and play it, the clicking goes away, but eventually returns a track or two later. Is this a bug with the latest firmware? I used to play hours of music this way without a problem.

Anyone else with this issue? I haven't called Oppo. I wanted to check on this board first.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #8286 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^ More problems with the usb dac input? You're not the only one in the past few weeks that has been reporting problems with the usb dac input. Others are complaining of loud white noise on that interface. I'm glad I've never needed that 105 interface. I would have purchased the 105 without it too. I wouldn't be able to stand having a computer attached to my 105 with a cable. I know I've said this before on this forum, but networking protocols (cifs/smb, dlna) for media playback are the beauty of this player. Media playback/control of all your devices thru your home router...ingenious! I know others don't agree with this....that's okay....to each his own. Play your music via the method that's most comfortable to you...that should be the most important thing.
post #8287 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

If Oppo recommends an amp with an input impedance of 50K, what would be more or less a safe impedance range for all of us who use the Oppo as a preamp. there are many amps out there with different input impedance. Is it impedance 50k and above better or 50k and below?

Ok - time for a lesson on line-level audio interconnects, which is what you create when you connect an audio output from one piece of gear to the audio input on another.
Speakers are not line level...and the "goals" for a speaker connection to an amp are VERY different from the goals for connecting two line-level devices.
People get confused between the rules for speakers and for interconnects...that's ok.

I apologize in advance if this is too much detail - so I will save you some trouble. It is VERY hard to have too HIGH an input impedance. If you don't want any more information, then stop here and you should be all set. Otherwise - some basic concepts may help you in the future:

Ok -so most of this is about REALLY basic electronics. You need to think voltage dividers and RC-filters.

Voltage Dividers
When you string two impedances (or resistances) in a row and take a signal from in-between, you have a voltage divider. A voltage divider is just an attenuator - e.g. it will drop the voltage by a certain amount. The new voltage is a simple function of both the first and second impedance. If the first impedance is I1 and the second is I2, then Vnew = Vold * I2 / (I1 + I2). In the case of an audio interconnect, I1 is the output impedance of the sending device, and I2 is the input impedance of the receiving device.

So look at this function for a sec. What is I2 is really big and I1 is tiny? The I2/(I1+I2) would be really close to 1. REALLY close to "no attenuation". But if I1 were really big and I2 were small, then the new voltage would be a very small fraction of the original voltage, and you get "tons" of attenuation. If I1 and I2 are exactly equal then you get exactly 1/2 the voltage out that you put in, which is exactly -6dB by the way.

There is more to it than this, since the impedances actually vary with frequency. But as it turns out - the manner in which frequency impacts the whole process makes the following MORE true, and not less:

If you have a low output impedance feeding a nice, high input impedance then you get very little attenuation (at ANY frequency), which is what you want. This is because the voltage divider that you create by connecting the equipment has a ratio of darn close to 1.

Laird-speak: "Low output impedance good, high input impedance good"

in context
Soooooo - this is why I said that connecting the 100-ohm output impedance of the 105 to a 23.5k input impedance on an amp should not have any audible problems stemming from the resulting voltage divider. The attenuation due to the voltage divider in this case is 0.42% ,which is about -0.04dB...which is essentially nothing.

RC Filters
And R-C filter is just a passive filter created by joining an impedance (or resistance) and a capacitance. RC networks get used all the time for crossovers. You can create both high-pass and low-pass filters using one resistance and one capacitance, just depending on the order in which you string them together.

Why does this matter? Well, your shielded cable has a capacitance set up between the signal wire and the (grounded) shield. The amount of capacitance is a function of the materials used in the cable and its length, with longer cables having higher capacitances than shorter ones. So now you have an output impedance followed by a "cap-to-ground", which is the textbook picture of a low-pass filter. A low-pass filter blocks higher frequencies and permits lower frequencies to "pass".

It is again a simple math function to determine the frequency at which the highs start to roll off. This is the 3dB-down point, and it is computed easily as f = 1/(2*pi)*R*C, where pi is everyone's favorite oddball mathematical constant.

[In Context]
Ok - so let's turn the question around though. "What capacitance would I need, with the Oppo BDP-105's 100 ohm output impedance, to result in roll off starting at the theoretical human hearing max frequency of 22000 Hz?" (Never mind that the vast majority of folks over 20 years old can't hear much above 16000Hz, and that as you get older it gets worse, and that if you play in a rock band you are darn lucky if you can hear past 12000Hz.)

Anyway - this results in a value of 0.072uF (micro-farads). Wow! That's not much right?! sorry - wrong. "Normal" cables run about 120pF per Meter (that's PICO-Farads, which are 1000 times smaller than NANO-Farads, which are STILL 1000 times smaller than micro-farads). Some higher-priced cables do better.

So we are talking about 72,000pF * 1meter/120pF = around 600 meters of cable.

So you'd have to have nearly 2000ft of audio cable running between your 105 and an amp, and some VERY unrealistically good ears, to even HOPE to hear the tone roll-off resulting from the RC filter.

If you have a nice low output impedance, you pretty much never have to worry about tone roll-off due to the RC filter created by your output impedance and the capacitance of your cable.

Laird-speak: "Low output impedance good (again)!"

Loads
So now we get to the last major factor impacting the electrical signal that crosses your audio interconnects, loads. This one is more complicated, so I will avoid any mathematical treatment. Your downstream device can actually rob your upstream device of power. If you have a small amplifier circuit connected to your output (which is usually the case), then the receiving device can "draw" so hard on the signal that it robs your output device of power - like if the sending device can't provide enough power for the receiving device. The tonal effects of this problem can be really pronounced. I run into this problem all the time with guitar amps that have unbuffered FX loops and passive loop level controls.

There are several ways that a receiving device can "load" a sending device....but one is that there is a path to ground through the input impedance at the receiving end. Losing current here is bad news, as that can contribute substantially to the load on the sending end. So, guess what you need. I high input impedance means that LESS current will travel to ground than it would with a low input impedance. High input impedance wins again!

Laird-speak: "High input impedance good (again)!"

That's 2 votes for having a high input impedance to zero for having a low input impedance for highest fidelity.
That's 2 votes for having a low output impedance to zero for having a high output impedance for highest fidelity.

I'd say we know who the winners are. Oppo can't control the input impedance of the device to which the 105 is connected, nor can they control the quality or length of the cable you choose to use. What they CAN control is output impedance - and they did so very well. In doing so, they made the cable largely-irrelevant (other than mechanical considerations). They also, apparently, provided a recommendation for load impedance. If they recommend a 47K input impedance for a load, just about anything at or over 47K will do.
I would be worried about anything much lower than that.

(For reference, In the guitar world, we routinely deal with input impedances of 100k-ohms to 1,000k-ohms once we reach the point where we want to preserve audio fidelity.)
RichB, lanping09 and DanF8500 like this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #8288 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks Dan!

I have the Oppo's volume currently set at 100 and adjust the volume of the denon for variable loudness.  

What settings do you recommend for this issue?

Thanks again

post #8289 of 11901 Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

^ You're welcome. I don't know the input sensitivity of your old receiver, but you may be over driving it by setting the 105's volume to max. You should try setting the 105's volume at a value of 50, then adjust your receiver's volume accordingly. This will bring more of your receiver's volume into your audio mix, and may, (I repeat, "may") add a little more of that "warmth" you're looking for in your music, but without completely knowing your receiver's input sensitivity, it will be guesswork from here.

Seriously, have you considered upgrading/updating your receiver/amp? Have you ever heard the saying, "Your audio system is only as good as your weakest link"? Your 105 is putting out an amazing signal to noise ratio, along with a super low total harmonic distortion, but all those great specs get "thrown out the window" when your audio signal travels thru your old receiver. And I know your Denon receiver has old, possibly worn out/failing components in it. The Oppo 105 is truly state of the art, when it comes to audio playback integrity. I know you probably could have spent a lot less money on a blu-ray player (maybe purchase the 103), but you chose the 105 instead, with its dedicated stereo analog circuitry/DAC. The only way to get the max benefits from your 105 is to pass its output to a comparable power output stage. I'm just hoping you don't decide to get rid of your Ferrari while hanging on longer to your Ford Pinto. biggrin.gif
klimtology likes this.
post #8290 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 AM

Plex Nativ Client for Oppo

I love my Oppo and I see all the success with every new Firmware. I am living in Switzerland and mostly all Plugins not working outside from America. Additional the new SMB Client will never working like a native client like the Plex Client. With this you can add all what you wish. Roku and any Channel what exist. Oppo can never built a machine how works with all desired Features. Big company's like Samsung and LG have build in the Plex Client and for both side is a big Success. I am writing the Oppo Guys but I think a lot of people need to wish that.

What you mean about this?

Sorry for my bad English.
post #8291 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Hello , I think I might have changed one of my settings. I'm utilizing the 2 channel audio out as well as the 5.1 audio out. When I play just the 2 channel my sub still kicks in. Is there a way I can eliminate the sub on 2 channel and have it kick on during 5.1? Thanks.

Hello can anyone help with this? Thx
post #8292 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 AM

thats what im sayinf i turn it up to 85 and see the meter on the xpa finally move but its not shattering i hit a hundred and i and it loud its up there no clipping it tolerable im mean the glasses shouold be shacking lol, i did change the setting to stereo and fr and fl messed with the speaker db put it at +10 no differance. let me explain love my oppo it awsome and everthing plays perfect but i was just wondering if and when i like to play loud why this wont rock my house everthing eles is good i hit a 100 and no clipping check the wires if there was something wroung with the wires would i even be getting signal, amp work i think get a reading on the meter when i get to 75 now that seems crazy but it is what it is may be something wroung i have a first gen xpa-2. you know what im going to run the oppo str8 to the speakers and see if there is a diff but this amp should be rocking this place i should never be able to hit anything close to 50. not hitting a 100 and be able to listen to it!! i have to be messing somthing up
post #8293 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Downmixing will drop your volume considerably:

1.Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
2.Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
3.Go to Speaker Configuration.
4.Set the Front speakers to Large.

Did you check your downmix settings?

Yes or no?

- Rich
Rich, I'm not seeing this effect when I do what you said above. Same volume for me. Although the only setting I'm toggling is the Stereo Signal. I wasn't expecting a volume change anyways. My Front speakers are already set to Large. I only have a 2 channel system.I suppose volume must be a factor when playing back 5.1 or greater material (and setting downmixed as opposed to Front L/R when those speakers are set to Small)?? I'm not sure...
post #8294 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zask2 View Post

thats what im sayinf i turn it up to 85 and see the meter on the xpa finally move but its not shattering i hit a hundred and i and it loud its up there no clipping it tolerable im mean the glasses shouold be shacking lol, i did change the setting to stereo and fr and fl messed with the speaker db put it at +10 no differance. let me explain love my oppo it awsome and everthing plays perfect but i was just wondering if and when i like to play loud why this wont rock my house everthing eles is good i hit a 100 and no clipping check the wires if there was something wroung with the wires would i even be getting signal, amp work i think get a reading on the meter when i get to 75 now that seems crazy but it is what it is may be something wroung i have a first gen xpa-2. you know what im going to run the oppo str8 to the speakers and see if there is a diff but this amp should be rocking this place i should never be able to hit anything close to 50. not hitting a 100 and be able to listen to it!! i have to be messing somthing up

Try borrowing a different amp to see if you experience the same lack of satisfaction in spl level direct to the oppo. Did you buy the xpa-2 gen-1 used?
post #8295 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM

ok but my brother had shinado tubes wont push these speakers how about a sony av?
post #8296 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

Rich, I'm not seeing this effect when I do what you said above. Same volume for me. Although the only setting I'm toggling is the Stereo Signal. I wasn't expecting a volume change anyways. My Front speakers are already set to Large. I only have a 2 channel system.I suppose volume must be a factor when playing back 5.1 or greater material (and setting downmixed as opposed to Front L/R when those speakers are set to Small)?? I'm not sure...

There should not be a difference for 2 channel.

Here is the Oppo FAQ:

http://oppodigital.azurewebsites.net/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15&ProdID=BDP-105

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8297 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM

i bought this amp new about a year ago and then put this system to geather my first time doing it

65zt60 tv
oppo bdp105
xpa-2
philharmonic 3

im not complain everthig is great love the oppo but i just thought with this amp there is no way to turn it up to 100 im mean normal listing is around 45 to 60 that just seemed wroung thats why im questioning here it dont make since to me. oppo is set to stereo front rt lf are set to large. im new to this so maybe im have not conected somthing right every one keeps talking db115 should be clipping speckers and maybe im deaf but realy at a 100 it needs to louder like ear shattering and i dont think regualar listing should be50? if there is somthing wroung with the amp or oppo or wires would sound come threw i mean the sound that does come threw is magnificient but every once in a while i like to rock it loud wall shacking loud lol. so i mut be doing somthing wroung cuz im lost iv tryed everthing here ecept getting a pre pro. fauly wires sory im not wise enough to know what that would do to your sound would any sound come out sorry for being so ignorant but the resason i bought the oppowas the fact that i didnt have to buy a pre pro maybe i was wroung but really thought thi amp would pock thses speakerstyvm for all you help next call emotiva thanks
post #8298 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

^ You're welcome. I don't know the input sensitivity of your old receiver, but you may be over driving it by setting the 105's volume to max. You should try setting the 105's volume at a value of 50, then adjust your receiver's volume accordingly. This will bring more of your receiver's volume into your audio mix, and may, (I repeat, "may") add a little more of that "warmth" you're looking for in your music, but without completely knowing your receiver's input sensitivity, it will be guesswork from here.

Seriously, have you considered upgrading/updating your receiver/amp? Have you ever heard the saying, "Your audio system is only as good as your weakest link"? Your 105 is putting out an amazing signal to noise ratio, along with a super low total harmonic distortion, but all those great specs get "thrown out the window" when your audio signal travels thru your old receiver. And I know your Denon receiver has old, possibly worn out/failing components in it. The Oppo 105 is truly state of the art, when it comes to audio playback integrity. I know you probably could have spent a lot less money on a blu-ray player (maybe purchase the 103), but you chose the 105 instead, with its dedicated stereo analog circuitry/DAC. The only way to get the max benefits from your 105 is to pass its output to a comparable power output stage. I'm just hoping you don't decide to get rid of your Ferrari while hanging on longer to your Ford Pinto. biggrin.gif

Hey Dan, 

I tried at 50 and the harshness is still there.  I'll try 75 next.

I'm a complete novice at this, but I dug up the old Denon user manual and it lists the input sensitivity as:

Input Sensitivity and Impedence:

phono mm 2.5 mV 47k ohm

mc  0.25 mV 100 ohm

TAPE, VIDEO/DAD  150 mV  More than 33 k ohm

Maximum Input Level (at 1 kHz) :  Phono MM 150 mV

MC  15mV

Signal to Noise Ration (IHF-A)        Phono  MM  at 5.0 mV  input 86 dB

Phono  MC  at  0.5 mV input 68 dB

Tape, Video DAD  95 dB

If I were to buy a new reciever/amp what should I be looking for in terms of wattage etc?

I could pick one up and see if that improves the sound.

My speakers have a power handling of 25w to 150w.

Thanks again for your help!

post #8299 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There should not be a difference for 2 channel.

Here is the Oppo FAQ:

http://oppodigital.azurewebsites.net/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15&ProdID=BDP-105

- Rich
Okay, thanks. That's what I was thinking. Just got a little confused when you made that suggestion to Zask, who was trying to solve a problem with his 2 channel amp (xpa-2) and pair of Philharmonic 3 speakers. I didn't think he was trying to solve a multi-ch issue considering his gear.
post #8300 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 AM

LET ME CLAIRIFY SOMTHING. when listing to kind of blue or any clasical its perfect sound i just want to crank my sabath or zep or santana or rush or metalica i want to rock lol thats why i qestion the 100 lol sorry for be so igniorant but im a newbie to this hobbie eek.gif
post #8301 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:

Quote:

Downmixing will drop your volume considerably:

1.Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
2.Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
3.Go to Speaker Configuration.
4.Set the Front speakers to Large.

Did you check your downmix settings?

Yes or no?

- Rich

Down-mix attenuation only happens when you are actually mixing more channels into fewer speakers. If you play a 5.1 track down-mixed to just the LF/RF speakers, the output to those has to be lowered to allow enough headroom for all the content that is being mixed together -- so that the output voltage isn't so high it clips the inputs of your pre-amp. Now it is not quite the same as saying 6 channels of content fitting into 2 speakers since the Surround channels are separately attenuated as part of the down-mix (so that audio that's really supposed to be coming from behind you doesn't get too much presence in the front sound stage). There's standardized math for how this is done.

The REAL kicker here is if you are mixing the Sub channel's LFE content into LF/RF, as LFE carries LOUD bass. When you are mixing LFE into LF/RF the down-mix attenuation has to be pretty significant -- which is not great because that increases the noise floor. I.e., the signal you are trying to hear is attenuated in volume down closer to the level of "noise". When you boost the volume setting to get back to your desired listening level that increases the volume of both the real signal and the underlying noise.

This is why the "stereo" down-mix applied to the Dedicated Stereo Analog audio outputs when Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO is set deliberately discards any LFE content from the down-mix.

If you consider the multi-channel set, first of all the Stereo Signal setting only applies if you have cabled the L/R pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog set in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks of the multi-channel set. When doing that you need to set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT as otherwise Center and Surrounds content will ALSO be coming out of the L/R pair that you are now using as LF/RF -- i.e., you'll be duplicating sound also coming out of the REAL Center and Surround channels. So Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO is not the setting you use to accomplish the down-mix when you have the Dedicated Analog Stereo L/R pair (either RCA or XLR) wired in lieu of the normal LF/RF multi-channel RCA outputs.

Instead you use the Speaker Configuration > Down Mix setting, just as when doing NORMAL wiring of the multi-channel set.

Now if you set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO, then as a side effect the player also turns the Subwoofer channel OFF. I.e., output really will only be present on the LF/RF outputs. And if you now play a 5.1 or 7.1 track you will get significant down-mix attenuation because this setting results in the LFE channel being mixed into the LF/RF output -- along with Center and the Surrounds.

If you would prefer things to work the way Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO does it for an independently wired L/R pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs then, AFTER setting Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO you simply turn the Subwoofer back ON and make sure the LF/RF speakers are set to LARGE. With the Subwoofer jack left uncabled, that means LFE content will be discarded out that unused Subwoofer jack -- no longer mixed into the LF/RF jacks. And thus you don't get the extra down-mix attenuation. The reason to set LF/RF to LARGE is to disable the Crossover processing, since otherwise a portion of their bass content would ALSO be discarded out that uncabled Subwoofer jack.

Now set THIS way, if you play a 5.1 or 7.1 track you will still get some down-mix attenuation since you have content for 5 (or 7) speaker channels mixed into LF/RF and they need headroom to accomplish that without clipping the pre-amp. However the down-mix attenuation won't be nearly as large as if you ALSO had the LFE channel content mixed into that LF/RF pair.

Keep in mind that the LFE channel is a special channel for recording LOUD bass. The normal speaker channels (such as LF/RF) are fully capable of going as low in bass frequency as you'd like, but the bass volume won't be as loud as if you also have the LFE channel involved. And indeed the folks who do the mixing have to keep in mind that not everyone will have a subwoofer. And so all critical bass has to be present in the main speaker channels ANYWAY. The LFE channel just adds extra punch. Of course all this assumes that, when running LF/RF as LARGE -- i.e., without a Subwoofer assisting in their bass reproduction -- that those speakers really are capable of producing bass frequencies as low as you care to go.
--Bob
HowardV likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8302 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtology View Post

Hey Dan, 

I tried at 50 and the harshness is still there.  I'll try 75 next.

My speakers have a power handling of 25w to 150w.

I dug up the old Denon user manual and it lists the input sensitivity as:

Input Sensitivity and Impedence:

phono mm 2.5 mV 47k ohm
          mc  0.25 mV 100 ohm
           TAPE, VIDEO/DAD  150 mV  More than 33 k ohm

Maximum Input Level (at 1 kHz) :  Phono MM 150 mV
                                                            MC  15mV
Signal to Noise Ration (IHF-A)        Phono  MM  at 5.0 mV  input 86 dB
                                                    Phono  MC  at  0.5 mV input 68 dB
                                                     Tape, Video DAD  95 dB

If I were to buy a new reciever/amp what should I be looking for in terms of wattage etc?

I could pick one up from Amazon or Best Buy and see if that improves the sound.

Thanks again for your help!
Wow, that's a lot of numbers there. If you're using your receiver's "tape" inputs (150mV input sens.) and your 105's rca outputs (2.1 Vrms at max volume), then a rough calculation would be to not set your 105's volume any higher than about 54. So, if you didn't hear any less "harshness" with a 105 volume at 50, I don't think you're going to be able to remove this harshness you're hearing. As far as amp recommendations, the sky is the limit....it's like choosing a new car. You obviously would like to match your power output of a new, prospective amp with the max power output of your speakers. This "harshness" sound you hear is hard to interpret from one audio listener to another. What sounds like one thing to one audio listener will be different, or not even an issue to another audio listener. You've been listening to a certain "flavor" of audio with your Denon receiver for a very long time.....any deviance from this "flavor" becomes noticeable by you, and doesn't "feel" right. I understand where you're coming from. Since I haven't heard very many, if any, 105 users call the 105 a "harsh" sounding media player, I won't conclude that the 105 is causing this "harshness" you're hearing....it's just creating a different audio "flavor" from what you have been used to all these years, and it's making you cringe (your words earlier). I think it might be a crap-shoot for you to buy an amp from the net without first being able to listen to it being driven by the 105. Then, you have to be able to listen to that setup with your speakers, which will undoubtedly change the sound profile ("flavor") you're seeking.

I forgot to ask you this before, but what format of digital audio files are you listening to (CD's, mp3's, flac, wav, etc?). I know you stated this "harshness" you're hearing is noticeable in your "rock" music, but that's about all I gathered.
klimtology likes this.
post #8303 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks Dan!  I thought I could pick up the reciever from the net due to there being no shipping costs or restocking fee with Amazon/Best Buy (Generally speaking).  Maybe a Marantz as alot of people think it's a good match with B&W speakers.

I'm listening to CD's:

These are the reference recordings:

Movie Lovers Beethoven - Which sounds amazing on the Oppo.

Who's Next (remastered)

Ray of Light (Madonna)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

KidA (Radiohead)

I have read several people (maybe 3 or 4) complain about the harshness of the high end with the Oppo on different forums.  Some claim this improves with 'burn in' hence my original post. 

Thanks again.

post #8304 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 AM

I also would like to add that I don't really hear this harshness (at least not to the extent of the Oppo) with the Marantz cd6005, so I'm thinking it's not related to the Denon, but I could be wrong.

post #8305 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtology View Post

I also would like to add that I don't really hear this harshness (at least not to the extent of the Oppo) with the Marantz cd6005, so I'm thinking it's not related to the Denon, but I could be wrong.

Read some of the audiophile reviews on the Oppo (I'm sure you have already), there shouldn't be any harshness, it's just a synergy thing with your existing equipment. Something needs to change, and it would be a shame to get rid of such a fine player.
post #8306 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zask2 View Post

i bought this amp new about a year ago and then put this system to geather my first time doing it

65zt60 tv
oppo bdp105
xpa-2
philharmonic 3

im not complain everthig is great love the oppo but i just thought with this amp there is no way to turn it up to 100 im mean normal listing is around 45 to 60 that just seemed wroung thats why im questioning here it dont make since to me. oppo is set to stereo front rt lf are set to large. im new to this so maybe im have not conected somthing right every one keeps talking db115 should be clipping speckers and maybe im deaf but realy at a 100 it needs to louder like ear shattering and i dont think regualar listing should be50? if there is somthing wroung with the amp or oppo or wires would sound come threw i mean the sound that does come threw is magnificient but every once in a while i like to rock it loud wall shacking loud lol. so i mut be doing somthing wroung cuz im lost iv tryed everthing here ecept getting a pre pro. fauly wires sory im not wise enough to know what that would do to your sound would any sound come out sorry for being so ignorant but the resason i bought the oppowas the fact that i didnt have to buy a pre pro maybe i was wroung but really thought thi amp would pock thses speakerstyvm for all you help next call emotiva thanks

This is an issue that I have also run into myself. When I used the parasound a-31 direct to my oppo, the gain was way too much for me. The max volume I could use on the oppo was around 65. Attenuator pads would have allowed me to listen closer to 90 on the volume control. The oppo volume control is not pegged to reference level, it is simply 0-100 with 0 being mute.

So, first thing to do is make sure that you have used an spl meter to set your L and R philharmonic's level each to 75db using oppo's test tones. If you have already done this and 75db is around 45 to 60 for volume on the oppo (let's call it 50 for the sake of example), then you need attenuator pads for your RCA connections (anywhere from a 10db to 20db pad for each RCA connection). The gain on that emotiva amp is 32db, and seems to be more than you require. Doing this should allow you to listen closer to 100 on the oppo volume and experience the sound you are looking for.
post #8307 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:31 PM

ok how do i do the test tones or wear do i go in the oppo? and wear do i get spl meter? tyvm ill try anything biggrin.gif
post #8308 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkee View Post

This is an issue that I have also run into myself. When I used the parasound a-31 direct to my oppo, the gain was way too much for me. The max volume I could use on the oppo was around 65. Attenuator pads would have allowed me to listen closer to 90 on the volume control. The oppo volume control is not pegged to reference level, it is simply 0-100 with 0 being mute.

So, first thing to do is make sure that you have used an spl meter to set your L and R philharmonic's level each to 75db using oppo's test tones. If you have already done this and 75db is around 45 to 60 for volume on the oppo (let's call it 50 for the sake of example), then you need attenuator pads for your RCA connections (anywhere from a 10db to 20db pad for each RCA connection). The gain on that emotiva amp is 32db, and seems to be more than you require. Doing this should allow you to listen closer to 100 on the oppo volume and experience the sound you are looking for.

The Emotiva XPA series 2 have 29DB gain.
I have a similar experience with my A51. The latest firmware has max volume settings so to avoid over-driving your system.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8309 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:36 PM

The test tones are in the speaker setup menu and you can get an spl meter from Amazon or online.
post #8310 of 11901 Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Greetings.

OPPO 105 cannot connect to password protected SMB share saying "login failed, check your name and password". It worked before and I am sure that credential are valid. The share is available from other devices. OPPO been rebooted including unplugging.

Any advice?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page