Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8371 of 11318 Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Member
 
vacquah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Xbox One and Oppo 105 :

Getting myself confused on how to set up a system with the 105 and xbox one. It is recommended that all connections go through the xbox one, however, I don't want to put the xbox one in front of the Oppo. What sort of connection options do I have, assuming I have a receiver and a tivo box in the mix?
vacquah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8372 of 11318 Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Bob wrote a great post explaining the down-mix settings and ratiional:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/8280#post_24102576

If you are using your other channels from the RCA outs and the dedicated stereo outputs, down-mix FL/FR is the proper setting.
Down-mixing duplicates the surround channels from the FR/FL and attenuates L/R signals to provide headroom for the other channels.

The FL/FR is the proper settings, but as an experiment I would try the standard outputs to take them out of the equation.
Also, check your speaker configuration and make sure your crossover, speaker size, and levels are properly set.

- Rich

Thanks for the response. But still confused. Only because when I select that the music is intolerable. I haven't heard anything that lacking in bass except laptop speakers maybe. I have speakers st to small crossed at 80hz maybe this is why. But if I change it to fullrange wont that tax my mains while watching movies?

I guess I just still dont understand why all my bass goes away. I have 7.1.

So really I don't want any downmixing of anything correct? This setting is for when you have less than the soundtrack calls for correct?

Thanks for all your help.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #8373 of 11318 Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
tranle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With 7.1 you have 8 discreet channel, when you use down mix to stereo all those 8 channels goes into you Front Right and Front Left channel + the other six speaker.
If some of the other six speaker dead or half working, the sound will be weaker when configured non-down mixed option.

What you should do is verify that all your 8 speakers channel (amp+speakers) are working and are outputting at the same level using either a calibration disk or the test tones.
Also do a factory reset so that there is no setting stuck in some strange level.
tranle is offline  
post #8374 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtology View Post


Hi Raven, 

Question:  Have you personally noticed any harshness in the high end?  I find this particularly noticeable with rock music (cymbals, snare drum etc) And if so, did it improve with time?  Has anyone else experienced this with the Oppo 105?  I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty unit.

Have you put 50 playing hours on it yet? leave it on for 12hrs playing usb or a cd on repeat and shut it down (off) for 30 mins and back on for at least 100 hours or actual playtime. As I noted the 95 which was more laid back than the 105 sounded worse out the box but both harsh and shrill, that my friend will bloom and give some of the best accurate cymbal playback along with many more treasures you will love. Get a 100 hours but 50-70 you should notice a difference in the highs and the bass fills out after 100 hour mark seemingly out of nowhere.

I'll say it again hang in there wink.gif
audiofan1 is offline  
post #8375 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 AM
 
Sebring1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post


Thanks for the response. But still confused. Only because when I select that the music is intolerable. I haven't heard anything that lacking in bass except laptop speakers maybe. I have speakers st to small crossed at 80hz maybe this is why. But if I change it to fullrange wont that tax my mains while watching movies?

I guess I just still dont understand why all my bass goes away. I have 7.1.

So really I don't want any downmixing of anything correct? This setting is for when you have less than the soundtrack calls for correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, you are correct. Use the 7.1 setting and the multi channel outs. You do not want to downmix anything.  If your source is not 7.1 you will need to use the DTS Neo 6 setting to make it 7.1.

Sebring1 is offline  
post #8376 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Newbie
 
skyseer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! I'm an owner of Oppo BDP105. I connected BDP to A/V receiver via 7.1 analog channel output. For front speakers I used dedicated stereo outputs on Oppo player, all other speakers connected via 7.1 outputs. "Stereo Signal" option set to "Front Left/Right". All speakers are set to "small" and crossover freq set to 60 on Oppo player. But if I want to listen to stereo music from CD with full range frequencies for front speakers and no subwoofer playing, will Oppo's audio processing setup still use it's settings, that I customized earlier (small front speakers and crossover freq 60hz)? I want to listen to movies with Oppo's bass management, but I also want to listen to stereo CD music without any processing from Oppo. What are my options? Just set Front Speakers to "Large"? But that way Front speakers will play full range in movies also...
skyseer is offline  
post #8377 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Have you put 50 playing hours on it yet? leave it on for 12hrs playing usb or a cd on repeat and shut it down (off) for 30 mins and back on for at least 100 hours or actual playtime. As I noted the 95 which was more laid back than the 105 sounded worse out the box but both harsh and shrill, that my friend will bloom and give some of the best accurate cymbal playback along with many more treasures you will love. Get a 100 hours but 50-70 you should notice a difference in the highs and the bass fills out after 100 hour mark seemingly out of nowhere.

I'll say it again hang in there wink.gif

I can not attest to this 100% because I bought new speakers, made my own Interconnects and Speaker Wire, and just got my tube amp back from having a tune up and circuit update. So I had too many "new" things at once to say that the Oppo blossomed between 50-100 hours.

However, I can say that my whole setup has absolutely blossomed after a couple months of regular usage. I got my Oppo end of September I think it was, and just in the past two weeks the system as a whole has suddenly sounded better; so much so that people visiting for the holidays asked if I bought some new gear or made some major system changes!

So I can't attribute that to the Oppo alone - but I still hold that too many Rock and Pop albums are compressed for volume, and treble boosted for radio, and it just kills some good albums.
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #8378 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
tme110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Thanks for the response. But still confused. Only because when I select that the music is intolerable. I haven't heard anything that lacking in bass except laptop speakers maybe. I have speakers st to small crossed at 80hz maybe this is why. But if I change it to fullrange wont that tax my mains while watching movies?

I guess I just still dont understand why all my bass goes away. I have 7.1.

So really I don't want any downmixing of anything correct? This setting is for when you have less than the soundtrack calls for correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Anytime you change something in the audio chain, you need to re-calibrate your speakers. The music didn't go away it just needs set up again.
tme110 is offline  
post #8379 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyseer View Post

Hello! I'm an owner of Oppo BDP105. I connected BDP to A/V receiver via 7.1 analog channel output. For front speakers I used dedicated stereo outputs on Oppo player, all other speakers connected via 7.1 outputs. "Stereo Signal" option set to "Front Left/Right". All speakers are set to "small" and crossover freq set to 60 on Oppo player. But if I want to listen to stereo music from CD with full range frequencies for front speakers and no subwoofer playing, will Oppo's audio processing setup still use it's settings, that I customized earlier (small front speakers and crossover freq 60hz)? I want to listen to movies with Oppo's bass management, but I also want to listen to stereo CD music without any processing from Oppo. What are my options? Just set Front Speakers to "Large"? But that way Front speakers will play full range in movies also...

What's wrong with getting full range audio in movies?? If your speakers can handle the lower range audio, then simply let the sub work for movies when there is an explicit channel for it.
On the other hand, even if you leave it as is, with music also using the sub, you probably won't notice any difference anyway. Most music won't even go below 60HZ.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #8380 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Ruddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Guerneville CA
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it possible to get the same quality sound from ripped CD's on my PC as I do when actually loading the CD in the player? I have ripped them using .wav at the highest quality setting. If it is possible what transmission method should I use to achieve that? I can send it via HDMI, ethernet cable, or spdif.

Thank you

Steve Ruddy
Steve Ruddy is offline  
post #8381 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

Anytime you change something in the audio chain, you need to re-calibrate your speakers. The music didn't go away it just needs set up again.

No I have already recalibrated everything with my rat shack digital meter.

I am using the dedicated stereo outputs xlr for my mains to my amp halo a23
Then using the center l/r surround and l/r back and sub of the multichannel outs to my halo a52 which is also working. Verified through meter. All calibrated to 75db slow c weighting. All trims below 0 as to not saturate the signal.

I then have my speakers all set small and downmix 7.1 In the speaker configuration. These are crossed at 80hz.

Then in that one setting where it is stereo signal either downmix stereo or Front L/R when I put it on front L/R it is as if I loose all basd below 80hz. It is very lean sounding. When I put it on downmix stereo the bass all comes back. And it sounds right.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #8382 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^ Perhaps you need to lower the crossover frequency a little, to give you more low range for your front speakers. They will sound thin, because the crossover is active when your speakers are set to small. Or maybe a better room placement for your sub might help with your "thin" sound. It sounds like your 105 is doing everything correctly in its audio configuration menus and when functioning in either downmix or front L/R stereo signal modes.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #8383 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

Is it possible to get the same quality sound from ripped CD's on my PC as I do when actually loading the CD in the player? I have ripped them using .wav at the highest quality setting. If it is possible what transmission method should I use to achieve that? I can send it via HDMI, ethernet cable, or spdif.

Thank you

Yes, in fact I find that the digital rips actually sound *better* than the original CD!

Sounds impossible, right? Next time you load a CD and it's spinning, put your hand on top of the Oppo - feel those vibrations? That translates to jitter the player has to correct.

You can play over Ethernet if you share out the folder and play through the Oppos menus.

You can play over USB by plugging your computer into the Asynchronous USB

And you can also play from a portable hard drive plugged into one of the other USB ports.

All of this is in your manual - or you can just poke around and figure it out as I did.

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Asynchronous_DAC_FAQ
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #8384 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ok Dan thank you. I can cross my mains much lower. They will comfortably go down to 40hz. So is this why in this setting I am thin sounding? Isnt there a setting where my mains will play full range for stereo music. Then for multichannel music and video I can have the mains crossed at 80?
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #8385 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^ There's no "automatic" setting for that. You either set your main speakers to large and have the full audio range play through them (crossover inactive) or you set them to small and direct the low frequencies to your sub via the crossover.

It would be cool if Oppo could have pre-programmed modes for 2-ch and multi-ch configurations, where a single button press on your remote could switch between these modes....
DanF8500 is online now  
post #8386 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You need to have some overlap between your mains and sub. The crossover is not an absolute cut but defines the point at which you are rolling off the frequencies. Typically you want about an octave of overlap between your main and your sub. So if your mains start to roll off below 40 Hz, then you want your crossover to be 80. You also want to make sure that you are not rolling off the higher end of your sub with a setting on your sub so make sure you don't have a high pass value set at the sub. Actually, the low frequency extent usually given for loudspeakers is the -3db point so that a speaker rated to go down to 40 Hz is probably already rolled off that much at that point. Having the overlap between the mains and sub will allow the low frequency outputs to properly blend.

Another thing to consider when setting up your speakers is that a lot of sound meters have an error at the low end. For instance, the analog Radio Shack meter is off by 3-4 db in the low bass and you need to boost your sub above the reference point to compensate for this.

Finally, if you are using music sources on a CD or SACD or DVD-A or music BD, there may not be much really low bass unless you are dealing with electronic music or organ music. The lowest note on a string bass or bass guitar is a little above 40 Hz in standard tuning. Most bass or kick drums are a bit higher than that. Really low bass is rarely found outside of movies.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #8387 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Yes, in fact I find that the digital rips actually sound *better* than the original CD!

Sounds impossible, right? Next time you load a CD and it's spinning, put your hand on top of the Oppo - feel those vibrations? That translates to jitter the player has to correct.

You can play over Ethernet if you share out the folder and play through the Oppos menus.

You can play over USB by plugging your computer into the Asynchronous USB

And you can also play from a portable hard drive plugged into one of the other USB ports.

All of this is in your manual - or you can just poke around and figure it out as I did.

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Asynchronous_DAC_FAQ
I find it difficult to believe that Oppo would go to all the trouble to build a great player like this and then fail to put a small de-jitter buffer between the transport and the DSP. That would be pretty much completely incompetent. And if there IS a de-jitter buffer, then any jitter created by the vibrating transport is eliminated before playback.

You also have to de-jitter network and file-based audio. You always use a de-jitter buffer for digital audio. Heck - even your phone has a de-jitter buffer.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #8388 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Collusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kuopio, Finland
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Yes, in fact I find that the digital rips actually sound *better* than the original CD!

Sounds impossible, right? Next time you load a CD and it's spinning, put your hand on top of the Oppo - feel those vibrations? That translates to jitter the player has to correct.

No offense, but this is just complete BS.

Vibration does not mean jitter.

Unless you've got a Mac (best hassle free solution for computer based playback), I'd stick with CDs .
TKO1 likes this.
Collusion is offline  
post #8389 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
TKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada's capital city.
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Sounds impossible, right? Next time you load a CD and it's spinning, put your hand on top of the Oppo - feel those vibrations? That translates to jitter the player has to correct.

That is categorically wrong and demonstrates a lack of understanding of digital signal processing and transmission. When Audioholics measured the BDP-105 using a world-class measuring analyzer, they provided the following assessment of the measurements:
Quote:
As you can see the distortion level was virtually unmeasurable, approaching the limitations of my $40k Audio Precision HDMI Audio Analyzer. In fact it was roughly 10 times lower than what I measured on the BDP-95 player which in itself was excellent. You’re really splitting hairs here.

I also ran a Bit Error Rate (BER) test on the BDP-105 using Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD test signals both of which produced a 0% BER which means both players delivered audio via HDMI 100% error free. You can rest assured there are no jitter issues using the HDMI outputs for audio like early generation Blu-ray players using HDMI 1.2 used to suffer from.

Cheers.
TKO1 is offline  
post #8390 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Newbie
 
JGKuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can Bob Pariseau or someone give an overall update about the new BDP-105 firmware from Dec. 5th. There are a number of concerns that have been discussed but could someone provide an overview. I use my 105 primarily for 2 channel audio playback, mostly 1TB external drives of FLAC files connected to the USB ports, no computer audio.

Much of the discussion has been around iPad apps and computer audio playback. I just want to know if there are known issues with playing FLAC files from USB ports and CD/SACD playback before I upgrade my firmware.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
JG
JGKuro is offline  
post #8391 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^ There's no "automatic" setting for that. You either set your main speakers to large and have the full audio range play through them (crossover inactive) or you set them to small and direct the low frequencies to your sub via the crossover.

It would be cool if Oppo could have pre-programmed modes for 2-ch and multi-ch configurations, where a single button press on your remote could switch between these modes....

Ok now I understand completely. Thank you veryuch. And yes that would be nice.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #8392 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Terry Mann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Receiver to BDP-105 Internet Streaming

Been on AVS forum a reasonable time but remain a noob at network streaming and the BDP-105. Want to internet stream from my receiver into the BDP-105 and out to amps. Am very confused on formats and how to best hook up.

Receiver is Denon 3312CI that appears to only support MP3 and WMA for internet steaming. Bit rate is not specified by Denon for internet streaming.

However for USB streaming, the Denon will play 192 kbps WMA, 320 kbps MP3, 320 kbps MPEG-4 AAC, as well as sampling frequency of 48 kHz for all the preceding + WAV, and FLAC. Also FLAC will play 88.2 and 96 kHz sampling frequency.

Questions:

1. Listen most often to JazzRadio.com which offers a premium membership that includes choice of format/bitrates: (a) MP3/256 kbps; (b) AAC/128 kbps; (c) AAC-HE/64 kbps; or (d) Windows Media / 128 kbps. Which of these should I choose?

2. Have not converted any of my CDs or vinyl to digital. Am now ready to move forward with the BDP-105 DAC in mind. Should I use FLAC or some other format? Any recommended software for lossless? My present PC software includes: Slysoft & Nero Platinum using Win7 on desktop. Have MacBook Pro laptop with usual stuff. Will want to convert things like Mosaics and audiophile vinyl to high rez. Not sure what to do about the CDs and typical vinyl. Would appreciate recommendations that could remain consistent over an extended time period. Prefer to do this once. Have a ton of records & many CDs.

3. My available receiver outs are only: (i) HDMI, (ii) RCA L&R for PVR, Zone 2, Zone 3. Am presently using the RCA L&R main pre-outs, the sub pre-out, and the center & side speaker outs of the Denon for surround. What kbps am I limited to the Denon sending onto the BDP-105? Can high resolution MP3 streaming flow thru the HDMI or RCAs and into the BDP-105? Or do I need to replace the Denon with a more useful device for internet streaming of JazzRadio.com, etc.?

4. Is there a solution for streaming of multi-channel from the Denon to the BDP-105?

Thanks!
Terry Mann is offline  
post #8393 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Member
 
chidancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: lisle, il
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Yes, in fact I find that the digital rips actually sound *better* than the original CD!

Sounds impossible, right? Next time you load a CD and it's spinning, put your hand on top of the Oppo - feel those vibrations? That translates to jitter the player has to correct.

You can play over Ethernet if you share out the folder and play through the Oppos menus.

You can play over USB by plugging your computer into the Asynchronous USB

And you can also play from a portable hard drive plugged into one of the other USB ports.

All of this is in your manual - or you can just poke around and figure it out as I did.

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Asynchronous_DAC_FAQ

I have, likewise, found wav files to sound noticeably more musical. The Oppo's allow you to switch back and forth between the CD and, in my case, attached HD with a TB of wav files. There is more definition, more openness and imaging, more precise high end and the attack of the things like acoustic guitar, cello, and piano just feels closer to real. Perhaps the most important thing to improve the sound is just leaving the Oppo on. During the first half hour, it slowly improves, and does so up to a full day. Leaving on your basic amp, or receiver, is just as important. The more capable your speakers are, the more you will hear.

I have suggested burning a wav file and using a usb thumbdrive to check this yourself, and for some reason, people just won't even try. I think you will find the proverbial "veils removed" from your system. Flac's are good, but a wav is better. I know the computer guys carp about this, but major recording engineers I talked to at the last high end Axpona in Chicago ALL agreed. And many of the rooms had Oppo's for sources.
nucky likes this.

Old time audiophile and vinyl collector of various surround sound formats from the 70's sq/qs/cd4 (and even EV)
chidancer is offline  
post #8394 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Mann View Post

Receiver to BDP-105 Internet Streaming

Been on AVS forum a reasonable time but remain a noob at network streaming and the BDP-105. Want to internet stream from my receiver into the BDP-105 and out to amps. Am very confused on formats and how to best hook up.

Receiver is Denon 3312CI that appears to only support MP3 and WMA for internet steaming. Bit rate is not specified by Denon for internet streaming.

However for USB streaming, the Denon will play 192 kbps WMA, 320 kbps MP3, 320 kbps MPEG-4 AAC, as well as sampling frequency of 48 kHz for all the preceding + WAV, and FLAC. Also FLAC will play 88.2 and 96 kHz sampling frequency.

Questions:

1. Listen most often to JazzRadio.com which offers a premium membership that includes choice of format/bitrates: (a) MP3/256 kbps; (b) AAC/128 kbps; (c) AAC-HE/64 kbps; or (d) Windows Media / 128 kbps. Which of these should I choose?

2. Have not converted any of my CDs or vinyl to digital. Am now ready to move forward with the BDP-105 DAC in mind. Should I use FLAC or some other format? Any recommended software for lossless? My present PC software includes: Slysoft & Nero Platinum using Win7 on desktop. Have MacBook Pro laptop with usual stuff. Will want to convert things like Mosaics and audiophile vinyl to high rez. Not sure what to do about the CDs and typical vinyl. Would appreciate recommendations that could remain consistent over an extended time period. Prefer to do this once. Have a ton of records & many CDs.

3. My available receiver outs are only: (i) HDMI, (ii) RCA L&R for PVR, Zone 2, Zone 3. Am presently using the RCA L&R main pre-outs, the sub pre-out, and the center & side speaker outs of the Denon for surround. What kbps am I limited to the Denon sending onto the BDP-105? Can high resolution MP3 streaming flow thru the HDMI or RCAs and into the BDP-105? Or do I need to replace the Denon with a more useful device for internet streaming of JazzRadio.com, etc.?

4. Is there a solution for streaming of multi-channel from the Denon to the BDP-105?

Thanks!

1) If you can switch on the fly, let your ears be the judge. Higher bitrates should be better.

2) FLAC is lossless and it contains meta data. I use DBPowerAmp to rip (but there are free ones) that automatically stamps the ripped metadata and then programs like Foobar2000 and J River can catalog it. I love using my iPad to select music to playback via the BDP-105 DAC.

3) That is the wrong direction. If you want to use the BDP-105 DAC, it plays files or uses the digital inputs to convert to analog that is then sent to your Denon. The BDP-15 can also send digital to your Denon via COAX, optical, and HDMI outputs in digital form. An MP3 from a CD is compressed verson of a16 bit 44.1lkHz signal with be decompressed when played by the BDP-105.

4) Wrong direction. The BDP-105 can play multi-channel audio files and send them to your Denon via HDMI or analog.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #8395 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^Terry, I think before you dive any further into wanting to convert your audio collection to files and stream your media, you should first look/understand what you want your components to do, and try to eliminate any redundancy between your components. I'm a little unclear what you want your Denon to do (other than amplification). Your 105 is more than capable of receiving audio streams(via network or serial interface), converting the media to analog, and outputting the signal to a power amp. Why would you want your Denon receiver to do anything else other than amplification? Or maybe a better question is, why would you still need your Denon receiver, if the 105 with a power amp will do everything you request? Since your Denon has its own digital signal processing, your 105 signal may get reconverted back to digital in your Denon (by its A to D converter), then back to analog (by its dac), which would negate any sonic benefits from your 105.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #8396 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collusion View Post

No offense, but this is just complete BS.

Vibration does not mean jitter.

Unless you've got a Mac (best hassle free solution for computer based playback), I'd stick with CDs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

That is categorically wrong and demonstrates a lack of understanding of digital signal processing and transmission. When Audioholics measured the BDP-105 using a world-class measuring analyzer, they provided the following assessment of the measurements:
Cheers.


Sorry guys, you're both wrong - I just reached out to Oppo and they were nice enough to respond to me in kind:


Eric,

Jitter and reclocking can cause the audio to be a little more harsh from the CD-Audio title than from user generated media. So it is not impossible that you prefer the audio from a digital backup than the original disc.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
chidancer likes this.
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #8397 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidancer View Post

I have suggested burning a wav file and using a usb thumbdrive to check this yourself, and for some reason, people just won't even try. I think you will find the proverbial "veils removed" from your system. Flac's are good, but a wav is better. I know the computer guys carp about this, but major recording engineers I talked to at the last high end Axpona in Chicago ALL agreed. And many of the rooms had Oppo's for sources

I've heard this as well - I'm just too invested in FLAC right now to really re-rip everything into WAV. I'm for sure hearing a difference between spinning disc and FLAC though, and it's nice to have Oppo verify that with me.

I'm also looking into DSD recordings. Listening to samples of Emily Palen on Blue Coast Records in DSF container. Granted, these are amazingly well recorded samples, but I'm really impressed with the sound quality. I believe they also sell in WAV format!
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #8398 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Release date: December 27, 2013
Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-68-1225B
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1300 (BDP-103), 7B1300 (BDP-105, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), , MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D)

Release Notes:
1. Improved Gapless Playback performance and resolved several issues involving Gapless Player, such as the track title not getting refreshed in the Now Playing interface, and the player becoming unresponsive when trying to access a disc in the tray without stopping the currently ongoing Gapless Playback.
2. Improved HDMI handshake performance for the HDMI input ports.
3. Resolved the Wi-Fi connection failure with access points or routers using WEP security. This error was introduced by 67-1204 firmware and this version corrects it.
4. Resolved an audio truncation issue occurring with several DVD-Audio discs. Customers reported that the first note or two was cut off between track changes, and when the PREV button was used to restart the current track. Sample discs included "Queen: A Night At The Opera", "Buena Vista Social Club", "Beatles: Love" and "R.E.M.: New Adventures in Hi-Fi". This error was introduced by 67-1204 firmware and this version corrects it.
5. Resolved the playback failure with certain customer-encoded audio files in WAV, FLAC and AIFF formats. Symptoms included files being skipped, files being played with static noise, and files causing the player to freeze. The 67-1204 firmware adds more support to meta data tags in these files but encounters this problem if the meta data tags are in non-standard location. This version further improves the support for meta data tags and corrects the problem.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #8399 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

I've heard this as well - I'm just too invested in FLAC right now to really re-rip everything into WAV. I'm for sure hearing a difference between spinning disc and FLAC though, and it's nice to have Oppo verify that with me.

I'm also looking into DSD recordings. Listening to samples of Emily Palen on Blue Coast Records in DSF container. Granted, these are amazingly well recorded samples, but I'm really impressed with the sound quality. I believe they also sell in WAV format!

Rich here to present the computer guy response smile.gif

FLAC meta data is reason enough.
I have not been able to hear a difference.

Also, here is the J River wiki that states the decode is disconnected from playback so from memory, there can be no difference.
I also did a file compare of a WAV and the FLAC file converted back to wave. Vive la no difference. tongue.gif

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lossless_Compression

- Rich
Smarty-pants likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #8400 of 11318 Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Terry Mann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^^Terry, I think before you dive any further into wanting to convert your audio collection to files and stream your media, you should first look/understand what you want your components to do, and try to eliminate any redundancy between your components. I'm a little unclear what you want your Denon to do (other than amplification). Your 105 is more than capable of receiving audio streams(via network or serial interface), converting the media to analog, and outputting the signal to a power amp. Why would you want your Denon receiver to do anything else other than amplification? Or maybe a better question is, why would you still need your Denon receiver, if the 105 with a power amp will do everything you request? Since your Denon has its own digital signal processing, your 105 signal may get reconverted back to digital in your Denon (by its A to D converter), then back to analog (by its dac), which would negate any sonic benefits from your 105.

Dan thanks for the feedback.

For me, the Denon receiver is primarily the source of an internet tuner to receive jazzradio.com. I just want to (a) output the higher resolution "premium" internet radio into the DAC of the BDP-105 and then (b) out of the BDP-105 to my amps -> speakers. Believe I need a internet tuner to do that and have the Denon 3312CI.

My setup is presently arranged for 2-channel feed from the BDP-105 balanced to amps (without preamp) and speakers for audiophile listening with the Denon providing 5.1 channel surround when watching video.

I was surprised that jazzradio.com sound quality was much better via the Denon receiver than the sound quality of my McIntosh FM tuners so much that I have sold all but one of these tuners and instead listen to internet radio via the Denon 3312CI. But the BDP-105 DAC must enhance the signal significantly beyond the Denon. I am confused as to how to cause the best quality jazzradio.com signal I can muster to head thru the BDP-105 and then directly out (stereo) to amps & speakers.

1. Want to understand which of the premium signal quality choices available from jazzradio.com to choose for internet streaming into the Denon (or another device). Do not believe I can feed jazzradio.com via Ethernet direct into the BDP-105.

2. Need to learn how to connect the internet radio signal from the Denon to properly feed its best sound quality into the BDP-105 DAC.

3. Alternatively wound consider replacing the Denon receiver with another device if that equipment offered superior sound quality for internet radio and would also feed its high resolution output into the BDP-105.

If this approach is unwise or not feasible, please let me know.

Subsequent interest is in how to best digitize my CD and vinyl collection for use with the BDP-105. This can wait until later as you suggest.
All the best.
Terry Mann is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off