Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #9001 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does subtitle inside an mkv works for anybody with the latest 105 firmware ?

For me an mkv served from JRiver DLNA server, the Oppo player see the different subtitle and let you select them through the subtitle menu but does show anything on screen.
Just checking to see if anybody has a similar problem before figuring out if the problem is with my mkv or JRiver DLNA or my Oppo 105.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaman View Post

I hope someone can help. I set up my 105 for 2.1 configuration the way Oppo (and Bob Pariseau) recommended. It works fine for Blu-ray, but when I play a CD or use the rear HDMI input for DirecTV, there is no signal to the sub. Can't figure this one out!

If your source is stereo, there will be no signal to the subwoofer. Speakers receive the full audio range when the input is stereo-the crossover is ignored. If I set my Uverse receiver to stereo instead of 5.1, my subwoofer will receive no signal. Your Direct TV has to output surround sound. Likewise for the CD. I just watched Pretty Baby and the sound was Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0. Again, no signal to the subwoofer. If you want the subwoofer to be used on stereo sources, plug the mains into the surround FL/FR outputs instead of the dedicated speaker outputs.

Also, I think you can use the DTS Neo 6 music or cinema to change the stereo signal into a surround sound mode and add the subwoofer signal.

post #9003 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring1 View Post

If your source is stereo, there will be no signal to the subwoofer. Speakers receive the full audio range when the input is stereo-the crossover is ignored. If I set my Uverse receiver to stereo instead of 5.1, my subwoofer will receive no signal. Your Direct TV has to output surround sound. Likewise for the CD. I just watched Pretty Baby and the sound was Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0. Again, no signal to the subwoofer. If you want the subwoofer to be used on stereo sources, plug the mains into the surround FL/FR outputs instead of the dedicated speaker outputs.
Not true.....if you set Stereo Signal on the 105 to Front Left/Right, instead of Downmixed-Stereo, while setting your front speakers to "small", your crossover will be activated, and as long as your subwoofer is "on" you will get your bass frequencies diverted to your subwoofer, regardless if you're playing stereo or multi-channel audio.
post #9004 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Quote:

Not true.....if you set Stereo Signal on the 105 to Front Left/Right, instead of Downmixed-Stereo, while setting your front speakers to "small" your crossover will be activated, and as long as your subwoofer is "on" you will get your bass frequencies diverted to your subwoofer, regardless if you're playing stereo or multi-channel audio.

Read the Oppo article: http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15 and tell me that is what it says. I don't think so. I just used a Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo source with those settings and nothing was sent to the subwoofer. Maybe there was nothing on the soundtrack below my crossover point (60hz.)

lanping09 likes this.
post #9005 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecriswell View Post

Pretty simple... The OPPO freezes randomly on various content, including the integrated Netflix app as well as watching HD Video or Hi res Audio. I use the onscreen interface for navigation and it just locks up. Sometimes I even have to pull power to get it to power off. Im extremely happy with the device as a media/disc player as well as a DAC. Just wish I didnt have to deal with it locking up a few times a week.

OK.  I have experienced that kind of lock-up only after leaving the Oppo running overnight but never in regular operation.  Still, I appreciate your annoyance.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #9006 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 136
Quote:

Read the Oppo article: http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15 and tell me that is what it says. I don't think so. I just used a Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo source with those settings and nothing was sent to the subwoofer. Maybe there was nothing on the soundtrack below my crossover point (60hz.)
I have read the article a while back, and just recently. I only play stereo, 2-channel audio from my 105, and my crossover works fine. I cut out an excerpt for you to re-read from the link you gave me:

"When the player is configured as detailed above, audio from a source that does not have a dedicated .1 or LFE track will be directed to the subwoofer based on the crossover frequency you select. The Stereo Signal setting applies to both the stereo RCA and balanced XLR outputs."

It makes no sense anyway, why a crossover would only work for multi-channel audio...
post #9007 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 05:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

It says that when the dedicated 2 channel outputs are set to down mixed stereo, the bass management will only apply to the multichannel outputs. So if the speaker configuration is set for the front left and front right speakers to be small,the subwoofer output will receive content below the crossover frequency AND the dedicated 2 channel outputs will receive a full range output. This means you'll be getting double bass as the bass below the crossover frequency will come out of both the subwoofer and the dedicated 2 channel outputs. To avoid the double bass, set the dedicated 2 channel outputs to be front left / right just as that knowledgeable article says to do.
lanping09 likes this.
post #9008 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Quote:

I have read the article a while back, and just recently. I only play stereo, 2-channel audio from my 105, and my crossover works fine. I cut out an excerpt for you to re-read from the link you gave me:

"When the player is configured as detailed above, audio from a source that does not have a dedicated .1 or LFE track will be directed to the subwoofer based on the crossover frequency you select. The Stereo Signal setting applies to both the stereo RCA and balanced XLR outputs."

It makes no sense anyway, why a crossover would only work for multi-channel audio...

Sebring, I remember you saying a few days ago that you prefer to set the 105's Stereo Signal to "Down-mixed Stereo". Well, if you do that then, you will only get subwoofer output on digital audio files with an LFE or .1 recorded track. So, I can understand why you're not getting any subwoofer output on 2.0 audio.

I changed the Stereo Signal setting to FL/FR instead of Stereo after reading the article and Bob's posts a few days ago. I just watched Pretty Baby, which is DD Stereo 2.0 and there was no sub wooofer output (crossover set to  60hz.)

post #9009 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I changed the Stereo Signal setting to FL/FR instead of Stereo after reading the article and Bob's posts a few days ago. I just watched Pretty Baby, which is DD Stereo 2.0 and there was no sub wooofer output (crossover set to  60hz.)
Are your speakers set to small or large?
post #9010 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Quote:

Are your speakers set to small or large?

Small, sub woofer on, downmix stereo just like the article specifies.

post #9011 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Ensure that you are on an input on the receiver where the receiver can accept a subwoofer signal in conjunction with the other speakers, or the subwoofer is directly connected to the player if you are using a dedicated stereo input on your receiver/amplifier.

Ensure that you have increased the subwoofer trim by 15dB.
post #9012 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Ensure that you are on an input on the receiver where the receiver can accept a subwoofer signal in conjunction with the other speakers, or the subwoofer is directly connected to the player if you are using a dedicated stereo input on your receiver/amplifier.

Ensure that you have increased the subwoofer trim by 15dB.

Sub is connected directly. There was no signal to the sub when watching Pretty Baby. 

post #9013 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Increase the subwoofer trim by 15dB.

Try a higher crossover setting such as 80Hz instead of 60Hz.

Ensure that the subwoofer is getting a signal by ejecting any disc in the player then going into Setup Menu and Audio Processing. Under Speaker Configuration select Test Tone and make sure this is ON. Highlight the Subwoofer. If you hear no audio, then check your cables.
lanping09 likes this.
post #9014 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Does subtitle inside an mkv works for anybody with the latest 105 firmware ?

For me an mkv served from JRiver DLNA server, the Oppo player see the different subtitle and let you select them through the subtitle menu but does show anything on screen.
Just checking to see if anybody has a similar problem before figuring out if the problem is with my mkv or JRiver DLNA or my Oppo 105.

Thanks.

I recall an issue with subtitles over DLNA. Was it just with PGS format? Are you using something else?

Try the same file on local storage or with SMB and see what you get.

-Bill
post #9015 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I recall an issue with subtitles over DLNA. Was it just with PGS format? Are you using something else?

Try the same file on local storage or with SMB and see what you get.

-Bill
The mkv was created with handbrake and I don't know what exact format it is using to add the subtitle to the mkv, VLC had no problem with the subtitle on the mkv.
I will have to find thumb drive large enough to try local storage as all my servers are Windows8 and not compatible with Oppo's SMB.
post #9016 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

The mkv was created with handbrake and I don't know what exact format it is using to add the subtitle to the mkv

VLC should tell you under the codecs window, else free utilities Mediainfo and mkvinfo will give details on the internals of the file.

If you passed through the subtitles from a Blu-ray, then the format will be PGS.

You can extract a chapter from a large title to fit on a smaller stick.

-Bill
post #9017 of 11418 Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Pretty simple... The OPPO freezes randomly on various content, including the integrated Netflix app as well as watching HD Video or Hi res Audio. I use the onscreen interface for navigation and it just locks up. Sometimes I even have to pull power to get it to power off. Im extremely happy with the device as a media/disc player as well as a DAC. Just wish I didnt have to deal with it locking up a few times a week.

I am having the same issues. I've had to reboot the player way too often. Mostly happens while streaming via dlna and playing music files via USB(front) and using the iPad Oppo app.
post #9018 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusoro View Post

Quote:

I am having the same issues. I've had to reboot the player way too often. Mostly happens while streaming via dlna and playing music files via USB(front) and using the iPad Oppo app.

I'm having issues when starting. Click on player and nothing happens. Have to turn off and back on again to get it to play DVD's or Blu-Ray discs. Using latest Beta software. 

post #9019 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Also, I think you can use the DTS Neo 6 music or cinema to change the stereo signal into a surround sound mode and add the subwoofer signal.

Not sure why, but sub and crossover now working for all source material, maybe a reboot did it. Using the dedicated stereo outs with signal set to FL/FR per the Oppo knowledge base instructions.
post #9020 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

I was having the same front panel lock up issue. After lots of back and fourth with tech support, they claimed it was a DLNA issue that they are aware of. I resolved it, for now, but turning off "my network" or whatever its called in the oppo 105 menu. Tech support claims it is a known bug and they are working on it. My sense is that it occurred after recent firmware releases, but they claimed no, it had to do with DLNA clients on my network. Since I installed a WD mycloud about the same time I updated the firmware on the oppo, I can neither confirm or deny that. I also found that the lockups were much less frequent if I used an ethernet connection than wireless.
post #9021 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbort View Post

I was having the same front panel lock up issue. After lots of back and fourth with tech support, they claimed it was a DLNA issue that they are aware of. I resolved it, for now, but turning off "my network" or whatever its called in the oppo 105 menu. Tech support claims it is a known bug and they are working on it. My sense is that it occurred after recent firmware releases, but they claimed no, it had to do with DLNA clients on my network. Since I installed a WD mycloud about the same time I updated the firmware on the oppo, I can neither confirm or deny that. I also found that the lockups were much less frequent if I used an ethernet connection than wireless.

I have a mycloud without latest beta. No lockups here. I just put in a Netgear Nighthawk router and I get almost instantaneous playback of selected songs.
post #9022 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post

Hi - I have read and enjoyed the forum for years, but never posted until now. I am considering purchasing a BDP105, and would like you owners to comment on my thoughts. Let me explain:

My current main setup is an Arcam AVR300 (no HDMI switching), Arcam CD73 single disk player, NAD515 5 disk player, a network of Squeezebox devices, one of which is optically connected to the AVR, DirecTV (HD) receiver, Panasonic 50" plasma (circa 2008, the best one at that time, THX), and a panasonic DMP-BD55 (has 7.1 analog outs for lossless formats). Speakers are Golden Ear Triton 2, Golden Ear center, and Klipsch KG1.5 for the rears (it was an all Klipsch until I bought the GE stuff).

I also have the curse(?) of never being able to bring myself to selling old my old gear, so I have a 2 channel vinyl setup in another room, and separate setups in the garage and basement. I mention this, because if my purchase of the BDP105 leads to some of this being moved to another area, so be it.

Anyhow, I started thinking I was going to replace the AVR300, and perhaps only getting a pre/pro and using the AVR300 amps (us 7.1 DVD-A inputs).

Then I started thinking about the BDP105, and started to get excited about the possibility of upgrading audio, video, and minimizing the size of my system. So, here are my thoughts, and where I am looking for opinions:

1) Relegate both CD players for the BDP105, and use the 2 channel outputs into 2 channel inputs of the arcam. Bonus is SACD capability. Question would be - the CD73 is quite a good player, should the sound quality of the BDP be better in this regard?

2) Replace the Panasonic DVD player with the BDP105. Hook the 7.1 analog outs into the 7.1 inputs of the Arcam. The panny was a pretty highly regarded "affordable" player in it's day (about $400). Should my video experience improve? I know my disk load time will..

3) DirecTV receiver into the HDMI input of the BDP105. I get the HDMI switching that the AVR doesn't have. Question is, should me video experience improve? Currently the DirecTV is sending native to the Panasonic plasma, and the panny is doing the converting/scaling.

4) Squeezebox receiver into the optical input of the BDP105 to utilize it's dac for the conversion to 2 channel out. Question, should the BDP105 have a better DAC/analog section than the Arcam? The Arcam was about a $2k unit in i'ts day and still sounds great.

Bonus in all of this is I reduce my "boxes" to 3+ - AVR, DirecTV, BDP105, squeeze box receiver and controller (little)

So, thoughts, opinions? Thank you in advance

Jim

Hi Jim,

I had an arcam avr300 and used an oppo95 (almost identical sound as 105) connected to the dvd-a inputs as well as the regular cd inputs. At the time I had a bryston 3bst reconditioned largely with 3bsst parts. I also had an arcam 7se and alpha one cd player(s) that I compared. Neither player was as good as the 95 through the avr300 (all using analog into the avr300). The 7se sounded better using the avr300 dac and the alpha one was close, maybe better dac in that but not sure. I've heard the cd73 and it's definitely better than the 7se,no contest. I don't know which player would be better for cds but I suspect the cd73 might be better than the 105.

The 3bst amp connected to the arcam pre-amp outs was a HUGE improvement. The 95 connected through the avr300 cd inputs degraded the signal noticeably, as did trying the digital in into the avr300. The 95 into the dvd-a inputs on the avr300 was noticeably better than the cd in was, but the 95 directly to the bryston 3bst was noticeably better than the avr300's dvd-a input - best to keep the avr300 out of the loop altogether and use the 95 directly into amps. I sold the avr300 a few weeks ago after having it sit unused for a coupel years - since I got the 95 (which I just upgraded to the 105 for the hdmi inputs)

in short, the avr 300 is pretty good but if you can go directly to a good amp that will be better.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #9023 of 11418 Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
has anyone compared the 4k up-convert to regular 1080p and is it a noticeable difference ?
post #9024 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 AM

Guys,

I am Maarten from Belgium. New to the forum and would like some advice.

I Just bought some new speakers ( Kef LS50, great speakers!!!). 

I am planning on upgrading my current bluray player from samsung (budget player), to a all in audiophile bluray player.

Things I need:

Very good DAC for 2 channel music playback,

Double HDMI out for 3D playback (I have a marantz 6004 with no 3D support)

media player with iphone and ipad app for media playback (music).

My options are now only 2:  Oppo BDP 103 with external DAC (but witch???) or save some more for the 105, that is 2x the price of the 103 here in Belgium (1200 euro)

Or the other option, an oppo 95 second hand, but I did not find any yet.

BTw: the rest of my setup.  BK XLS200 subwoofer, and Cambridge audio Minx 10 surround speakers, and a PAnasonic 50" VT50 plasma.

post #9025 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by demaarten View Post

Things I need:

Very good DAC for 2 channel music playback,
Double HDMI out for 3D playback (I have a marantz 6004 with no 3D support)
media player with iphone and ipad app for media playback (music).

My options are now only 2:  Oppo BDP 103 with external DAC (but witch???) or save some more for the 105, that is 2x the price of the 103 here in Belgium (1200 euro)

Or the other option, an oppo 95 second hand, but I did not find any yet.
Either the BDP-95 or BDP-105 would meet your first 2 requirements quite well. For the 3rd requirement, the BDP-105 would be the far better choice as it can be used as a DLNA DMR (renderer) which opens up options such as using J River Media Center on a PC and the JRemote iOS app to control music playback.
post #9026 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 AM

I just went for the 103.

The oppo has it's own iphone app for media control what seems ok for me.

I will add a external DAC in the future. But it is nice to split the costs, and have the 103 now, and add the DAC later...

post #9027 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34 View Post

has anyone compared the 4k up-convert to regular 1080p and is it a noticeable difference ?
Do you have a 4k display? If so, it's more a matter of which equipment does the upscaling, the display or the Oppo. And you should compare for yourself with your equipment, which could give different results from someone else with a different display. Of course, if you don't have a 4k display, it's a moot point since you can't do a 4k up-convert without a 4k display.
post #9028 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks to Abphd, Mongo171, Lonley Raven, and Mikepos for your comments on the potentially positive affects of the 105 on my system. Seems like you have confirmed my thoughts - start with the 105, and go from there...

So, I'll be back....as an owner!

Thanks Again;

Jim
post #9029 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Are there any options for playback of a Region B Blu-Ray other than a region free hardware mod? Or is this obviated by current firmware?

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #9030 of 11418 Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Are there any options for playback of a Region B Blu-Ray other than a region free hardware mod? Or is this obviated by current firmware?

No, you must have a hardware mod to play non-region A Blu-ray discs.

Those who backup their discs into media file format drop the region coding, which makes the files playable.

There is a free software mod for region-free DVD disc playback, but it has no effect on Blu-rays.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page