post #9091 of 12069 Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHHill View Post

Okay, I have an interesting situation. OPPO connected to B&K ref 50s2 via multi-channel analog out to multi-channel analog in. While setting the speaker trim levels I found the test tones from the OPPO work fine and respond to the trim adjustments. However, when I try to make trim adjustments while playing the PentatTone multi-channel SACD, none of the channels respond to any adjustments. The various channels do respond to trim adjustments when playing other material such as Joe Bonamassa. I can easily hear the change in volume on each channel. Yet, when I go back to the PentaTone disk - no response. I'm still waiting for the AIX calibration disk to arrive. Probably user error some how but I'm at a loss for now. Any thoughts?

Chuck

Possibly related to SACD??
Easy answer....the 105's audio processing/speaker config/crossover section is bypassed when you're playing sacd's or dsd audio files AND when the SACD output is set to DSD. If you still want audio/speaker config. processing, you'll have to set SACD output to PCM in the 105's settings.....of course when you do this, you won't get dsd-direct to analog processing...you'll get LPCM 88.2KHz 24-bit instead.
oneartist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 12069 Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View PostIf you use the XLR outputs, you'll just need to compensate for those channels being 6dB louder than the other channels.

Compensate?

But then I can use both DACs

post #9093 of 12069 Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Compensate?

Oppo's xlr outputs are +6 db louder than its rca outputs. You may need to adjust the trim of your FR/FL speakers on the 105, or possibly lower the gain on your amp, if you have that feature. Don't be worried about wanting to use both dacs of the 105. The dedicated stereo dac uses both xlr and rca outputs.....I'd just use the rca outputs from the dedicated stereo section, and the other rca's from the multi-ch dac section.
post #9094 of 12069 Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Compensate?

If you mix the XLR and RCA outputs, the XLR output levels will have to be lowered by about 6dB or the RCA outputs boosted by about 6dB (note that unless you're using identical amps and speakers for all channels, the exact amount may be a bit different) to account for the fact that the XLR outputs are 6dB louder.

You would also be using both DAC's if you used the dedicated 2 channel RCA outputs instead of the XLR outputs.
post #9095 of 12069 Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If you mix the XLR and RCA outputs, the XLR output levels will have to be lowered by about 6dB or the RCA outputs boosted by about 6dB (note that unless you're using identical amps and speakers for all channels, the exact amount may be a bit different) to account for the fact that the XLR outputs are 6dB louder.

You would also be using both DAC's if you used the dedicated 2 channel RCA outputs instead of the XLR outputs.

Oh in that caseRCA might be the way to go smile.gif

800Diamond in front 802Ds in surround
post #9096 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can we talk about jailbreak oppo 105 in order to play iso here in this forum?
post #9097 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

Can we talk about jailbreak oppo 105 in order to play iso here in this forum?
Only the hardware mods which Oppo does not seem to mind.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #9098 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Easy answer....the 105's audio processing/speaker config/crossover section is bypassed when you're playing sacd's or dsd audio files AND when the SACD output is set to DSD. If you still want audio/speaker config. processing, you'll have to set SACD output to PCM in the 105's settings.....of course when you do this, you won't get dsd-direct to analog processing...you'll get LPCM 88.2KHz 24-bit instead.

Thanks Dan! For some reason I thought I would still get the trim and distance processing for dsd when using the analog outputs. Again, thanks!!

Chuck
post #9099 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Oppo has a serial driver for Windows based computers that needs to be installed on your pc. For Mac's, no usb driver is required. I definitely would go the DLNA route, since you have a NAS. I have a Synology also. I use Synology's embedded dlna media server in combination with an ios-based app called 8Player, I run on my iPad. This setup works great, with the added bonus that neither your pc or your tv need to be on. Once you're able to use dlna, you will forget about trying to use the usb dac input on the 105. For DSD file playback, you'll need to either use the SMB protocol or a usb attached drive with your DSD files loaded on it. In both of those options you have a choice of using either Oppo's ios-based MediaControlHD app or the 105's onscreen interface.

DLNA from the NAS to Oppo works, but USB from the NAS to Oppo doesnt. I will eventually go with the DLNA route but want to try out the USB. Anyone tried the USB setup from Synology? I am not sure if its the Synology not sending the Audio or if its the Oppo having trouble receiving and processing it. I will also post the question to Synology.

post #9100 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream View Post

DLNA from the NAS to Oppo works, but USB from the NAS to Oppo doesnt. I will eventually go with the DLNA route but want to try out the USB. Anyone tried the USB setup from Synology? I am not sure if its the Synology not sending the Audio or if its the Oppo having trouble receiving and processing it. I will also post the question to Synology.

In the past, USB on an NAS have been to add additional storage, not to access the NAS itself. Are you sure this unit behaves as a mass storage device through its USB port? Can you connect it to a computer and access it through USB?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9101 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

In the past, USB on an NAS have been to add additional storage, not to access the NAS itself. Are you sure this unit behaves as a mass storage device through its USB port? Can you connect it to a computer and access it through USB?

-Bill

Synology does claim that high quality audio output can be obtained from the USB by directly connecting USB speakers to the NAS. Do you mean that the NAS storage should be accessible via USB for Oppo to be able to receive music from the NAS via USB? I thought the NAS will act as a player that will output audio out via USB.

post #9102 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you connecting your NAS to the 105's "DAC" serial input, or to one of the two usb 2.0 inputs on the back of the 105? The serial driver I spoke of is for the operation of the usb "dac" input on the 105.
post #9103 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Are you connecting your NAS to the 105's "DAC" serial input, or to one of the two usb 2.0 inputs on the back of the 105? The serial driver I spoke of is for the operation of the usb "dac" input on the 105.
NAS USB out to Oppo USB in.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/499

post #9104 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 AM

I'm sure this is a strange question, but does anybody here have a photo of a silver Oppo 103/105 next to any silver Bryston product?  I am curious if they will somewhat match but nobody locally stocks Oppo in Vancouver.  A quick photo would be tremendously helpful!

Mark

post #9105 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NAS USB out to Oppo USB in.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/499
I'm not 100% clear yet which usb input on the 105 you're using......a day and a half ago, you said you were using the 105's "USB DAC" input. Now you just say "USB" input. The two "usb 2.0" inputs on the back of the 105 are completely different than the 105's "usb dac" input. The two "usb 2.0" inputs on the back, and the one on the front of the 105 will accept usb media drives (thumb/flash) or a usb wireless internet dongle. The 105 has to be the controller of its own usb 2.0 usb inputs. You have to use the 105's onscreen interface or its ios-based MediaControlHD app to play digital files from one of the three usb 2.0 interfaces. The only usb input on the 105 that can accept an asynchronous serial stream of up to 2 channel/192kHz PCM audio is the "USB DAC" input. It's the usb, type B input on the back of the 105. To use that input, you need a Windows serial driver, provided by Oppo.....it needs to be installed on your windows based pc. A Mac doesn't require a serial driver from Oppo. So, with the link you attached to your reply above, it seems like you are trying to use a Synology media/audio player to send audio to one of the 105's "usb 2.0" ports in the back? That's not going to work. And I'm uncertain whether if you got a single ended usb type B cable, and attached that from your NAS to the usb dac input on the 105, whether you'll be able to stream asynchronous audio to the 105 without an Oppo serial driver running on the NAS, which is not available.

I was able to find a "compatibility" list on the Synology site which does contain some usb DAC's that were tested successfully with a Synology NAS.....so, that's a positive.... http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/faq/392
silverdream likes this.
post #9106 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

You're not being specific enough....a day and a half ago, you said you were using the 105's "USB DAC" input. Now you just say "USB" input. The two "usb 2.0" inputs on the back of the 105 are completely different than the 105's "usb dac" input. The two "usb 2.0" inputs on the back, and the one on the front of the 105 will accept usb media drives (thumb/flash) or a usb wireless internet dongle. The 105 has to be the controller of its own usb 2.0 usb inputs. You have to use the 105's onscreen interface or its ios-based MediaControlHD app to play digital files from one of the three usb 2.0 interfaces. The only usb input on the 105 that can accept an asynchronous serial stream of up to 2 channel/192kHz PCM audio is the "USB DAC" input. It's the usb, type B input on the back of the 105. To use that input, you need a Windows serial driver, provided by Oppo.....it needs to be installed on your windows based pc. A Mac doesn't require a serial driver from Oppo. So, with the link you attached to your reply above, it seems like you are trying to use a Synology media/audio player to send audio to one of the 105's "usb 2.0" ports in the back? That's not going to work. And I'm uncertain whether if you got a single ended usb type B cable, and attached that from your NAS to the usb dac input on the 105, whether you'll be able to stream asynchronous audio to the 105 without an Oppo serial driver running on the NAS, which is not available.

I was able to find a "compatibility" list on the Synology site which does contain some usb DAC's that were tested successfully with a Synology NAS.....so, that's a positive.... http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/faq/392

Ah!! Now I understand. I assumed the any of the 3 USB ports could act as a USB Dac. Now I understand what it supports and clearly not what I want. I will continue to enjoy with DLNA. Appreciate your inputs.

post #9107 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Glad I could clear that up with you! Good luck!
post #9108 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Thanks for that additional info.

I am still not getting any bass from my subs even after applying the db boost external to the subs as instructed. However I am getting bass when I use the unbalanced dedicated stereo outs from the 105 going to my prepro and then to my amp but not when using the xlr outs going directly to the amp. Everything else is set correctly as far as stereo signal being FL/R and speakers set to small with a 80hz crossover. Thanks.

Matt
post #9109 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Hello,

My AV Pre-Pro has to go in for repair! So I need to plug in my amps straight to the BDP-105 ?

Please tell us your impression of BDP-105 direct to amps v BDP-105 through Classe SP-800 to amps.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #9110 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am still not getting any bass from my subs even after applying the db boost external to the subs as instructed. However I am getting bass when I use the unbalanced dedicated stereo outs from the 105 going to my prepro and then to my amp but not when using the xlr outs going directly to the amp. Everything else is set correctly as far as stereo signal being FL/R and speakers set to small with a 80hz crossover. Thanks.
What music are you playing to test your sub? Are you trying to play SACD or dsd audio? Is the sub output set to "on" in the speaker configuration of the 105? Have you tried sending a test tone to your sub in the 105 speaker config menu?
post #9111 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

What music are you playing to test your sub? Are you trying to play SACD or dsd audio? Is the sub output set to "on" in the speaker configuration of the 105? Have you tried sending a test tone to your sub in the 105 speaker config menu?

Ok I figured it out. I had the volume in my prepro(Emo UMC-200) turned down to my usual listening volume which is around 30 on the UMC-200. I forgot that changing the variable volume on the 105 to around 20 to 25 would necessitate turning the prepro volume up to around 65 in order to get my subs to kick in which are still connected to my prepro. By the way, I talking about when I am playing regular 2channel music and not MC discs like sacd or dvd audio. I just wanted to hear what music sounds like when connected directly to an amp. I like the results and may just go ahead and hook up the rest of my channels directly to my XPA-5 amp. Thanks for all your help.

Matt
post #9112 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I figured it out. I had the volume in my prepro(Emo UMC-200) turned down to my usual listening volume which is around 30 on the UMC-200. I forgot that changing the variable volume on the 105 to around 20 to 25 would necessitate turning the prepro volume up to around 65 in order to get my subs to kick in which are still connected to my prepro. By the way, I talking about when I am playing regular 2channel music and not MC discs like sacd or dvd audio. Thanks for all your help.
Glad you figured it out. SACD audio is not all multi-channel. I have a number of 2-channel SACD's. When you play any 2-ch or multi-ch sacds or dsd audio files (dsf/dff), the 105's crossover/bass management is bypassed. The only way to keep it active is to set "SACD Output" to "PCM" instead of "DSD" on the 105.
post #9113 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Glad you figured it out. SACD audio is not all multi-channel. I have a number of 2-channel SACD's. When you play any 2-ch or multi-ch sacds or dsd audio files (dsf/dff), the 105's crossover/bass management is bypassed. The only way to keep it active is to set "SACD Output" to "PCM" instead of "DSD" on the 105.

Thanks for the additional input. I have a number of sacds and dvd audio discs and they are what I listen to mainly but I like 2channel music as well. Also, I have always had my 105 set to PCM which is what I prefer compared to DSD. I amended my previous post to state that I may go ahead and hook up the rest of my channels directly to my amp since it sounds so good to me with this type of configuration. Thanks again.

Matt
post #9114 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Don't need no stinking preamp!
mdanderson likes this.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #9115 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Please tell us your impression of BDP-105 direct to amps v BDP-105 through Classe SP-800 to amps.

db

I will when I have done it the SSP-800 has to go to Canada for a minor repair the touch screen is not responsive confused.gif
post #9116 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm having some major issues configuring the Oppo-105 to play through my speakers.

I recently got the AIX calibration disc, and today I finally got around to trying it out on my system.  I have the Oppo connected directly to my amplifier (no preamp), but with a cable running from the Oppo SW output directly to my sub.  The first AIX test was to play a sound through each of my speakers.  My system flunked.  First, when the AIX test disc played the test tone for the left surround, the left front speaker also played the sound (in other words, it was coming from both the left surround and the left front speaker).  Same for the right surround -- the test sound played through the right front speaker as well as the right surround.  And when the subwoofer's turn came, I got nothing at all.  Dead silence.  I checked to make sure it was on, and I unplugged the cable from the Oppo SW output and then reconnected it.  Still nothing.

I popped out the AIX disc and tried the Oppo's test tones, and I got the exact same result.  Same problem with the left and right surrounds, and no sound from the subwoofer.

Then I tried playing some bass-heavy music, with the down-mix set to LT/RT, speakers set to small, crossover set to 80 Hz.  Nothing from the subwoofer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

post #9117 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriznatch View Post

I'm having some major issues configuring the Oppo-105 to play through my speakers.

I recently got the AIX calibration disc, and today I finally got around to trying it out on my system.  I have the Oppo connected directly to my amplifier (no preamp), but with a cable running from the Oppo SW output directly to my sub.  The first AIX test was to play a sound through each of my speakers.  My system flunked.  First, when the AIX test disc played the test tone for the left surround, the left front speaker also played the sound (in other words, it was coming from both the left surround and the left front speaker).  Same for the right surround -- the test sound played through the right front speaker as well as the right surround.  And when the subwoofer's turn came, I got nothing at all.  Dead silence.  I checked to make sure it was on, and I unplugged the cable from the Oppo SW output and then reconnected it.  Still nothing.

I popped out the AIX disc and tried the Oppo's test tones, and I got the exact same result.  Same problem with the left and right surrounds, and no sound from the subwoofer.

Then I tried playing some bass-heavy music, with the down-mix set to LT/RT, speakers set to small, crossover set to 80 Hz.  Nothing from the subwoofer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think the down-mix setting of LT/RT is what you want. That mode will mix the surround and center channels into your FL/FR channels. How many speakers do you have, and are you only using the 105's multi-channel outputs? I would set the down mix to 5.1 or 7.1, depending on how many speakers you have. As for your subwoofer, you'll need to give your sub +15 db of boost (using volume knob on your sub), since you set your speakers to small, and want to do bass management on your 105.
post #9118 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM

I think I figured out the subwoofer issue.  My sub has its own crossover setting.  The manufacturer (Focal) recommends using it along with the crossover setting from whatever device is feeding the signal.  But when I have the subwoofer crossover engaged, I get no sound.  When I turn it off, I get sound.  Seems to be working ok now.

post #9119 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriznatch View Post

I think I figured out the subwoofer issue.  My sub has its own crossover setting.  The manufacturer (Focal) recommends using it along with the crossover setting from whatever device is feeding the signal.  But when I have the subwoofer crossover engaged, I get no sound.  When I turn it off, I get sound.  Seems to be working ok now.

What speaker configuration do you have? 2.1, 5.1, 7.1...?

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #9120 of 12069 Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

What speaker configuration do you have? 2.1, 5.1, 7.1...?

5.1 for movies/TV; 2.1 for music.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player