Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #9631 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^ Purchasing the 105 as a CD transport is a complete waste of money, IMO. Most (nearly all) 105 owners use their 105's as their primary DAC. So, you prefer the DAC in the Marantz over your 105?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
If you want to avoid the whole issue of whether jitter is even important, use the Analog outputs. As best I can tell from reviews I trust, the 105 has better Analog output than the 83 Nuforce. Of course that would mean you should bypass the Marantz DAC.

If you want to feed digital to the Marantz DAC I suggest you use a 103 or 103D. If you want to go with the gear you've got, I'd go with the 105.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9633 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

Do you have bit streaming set to on in jriver? Mine set to off.

Mine is set to off, as well. The search continues for streaming multichannel DSD using JRiver MC 19 (latest build). I do not understand why stereo DSD64 files play fine, but there is general distortion of multichannel DSD64 in all channels (using several different files as a test)
post #9634 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Have you tried a re-install of your JRiver? The fact that it is working for other people suggests something is screwed up in the DLNA setup. Is everything ELSE working OK from your JRiver?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9635 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks for the replies, yes the Marantz sounds better than than the DACs in the 105. It also goes well with the rest of my setup.

The older Nuforce uses the less stable 83 transport, but just interested to know about using it in such a fashion.. I guess I can apply both, using the optical and co-axial inputs of the Marantz DAC.

Cheers
post #9636 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
hello gentleman, are there any setting or switch that enable the XLR connection ? I'v tried all the way but could not get the XLR connection work. All another analog connection even a dedicate stereo are working great with great sound quality but not the XLR, i hear nothing , it like a dead XLR connection frown.gif . i connect it with XLR input from my Rotel RMB-1095
post #9637 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbenice View Post

hello gentleman, are there any setting or switch that enable the XLR connection ? I'v tried all the way but could not get the XLR connection work. All another analog connection even a dedicate stereo are working great with great sound quality but not the XLR, i hear nothing , it like a dead XLR connection frown.gif . i connect it with XLR input from my Rotel RMB-1095

Check your Rotel manual for the pin assignments it is expecting. Compare against the spec in the OPPO Manual. If they are different there's a setting in Setup for switching to the alternate XLR pin assignments. Also make sure the XLR plugs are fully inserted.

The XLR outputs are always live. About the only way you can shut them off is to hit Mute on the remote or lower the player's Volume to 0.

If no easy fix here, get in touch with OPPO. Your 105 may need warranty service.
--Bob
justbenice likes this.

post #9638 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Very good point, sir. It's nice to see someone who has an open mind here, and doesn't believe he somehow has godlike perception and omniscience. Your point is the same I was trying to make, but more concisely put.

I thought I would post some findings...I went out on a limb and bought a Mac Mini and downloaded a trial version of Audirvana, and I have to say I'm quite impressed with the sonic results of running through the asynchronous DAC. Esp. with the upconversion and Direct / Integer modes afforded by Audirvana, music is much lovelier than ever before on my 105D. With this setup, my digital music files, be they flac'ed CDs or high res. downloads, take on the sonic quality of vinyl. Smooth, airy, deep sound staging...well worth the investment. Even playing files back without upconversion, the same music is palpably better. The first thing I noticed was how nicely running files in through this input cleaned up the midrange. Something worth investigating, to be sure.

Omar

Must be adding second order distortion which is what gives vinyl it's unique qualities.
post #9639 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real View Post

The search continues for streaming multichannel DSD using JRiver MC 19 (latest build). I do not understand why stereo DSD64 files play fine, but there is general distortion of multichannel DSD64 in all channels (using several different files as a test)

Okay, I just tried playing back one of my multi-channel dsd audio files by "pushing" the track to my 105, and just like Real states, it stutters. The track I was using was around 6 min long, and I heard at least 4-5 short "stutters" throughout the playback of the track. I wasn't aware of this before, though I don't have very many multi-channel dsf files (I play stereo recordings). I even tried using a different media player on my Ipad (attaches to the JRiver server) to "push" the multi-ch dsf to my 105 and the stutter is still present. The only thing I can see is that my multi-ch dsf file has a large bit rate (14,112 kbps, which is 10 times that of normal CD), so the buffering/transmission of the audio stream may be producing the stuttering (device not being able to keep up). The stereo version of the same dsf (5644 kbps) file plays back fine.
post #9640 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check your Rotel manual for the pin assignments it is expecting. Compare against the spec in the OPPO Manual. If they are different there's a setting in Setup for switching to the alternate XLR pin assignments. Also make sure the XLR plugs are fully inserted.

The XLR outputs are always live. About the only way you can shut them off is to hit Mute on the remote or lower the player's Volume to 0.

If no easy fix here, get in touch with OPPO. Your 105 may need warranty service.
--Bob

Thanks Bob ! I'v foud out why it happened ! I take the RCA cable out of the oppo but haven't take it out from the Rotel pow, that why the rotel doesn't work. To make the rotel using the XLR input, i must take the RCA cable out first. By the way, the sound from XLR worst than RCA, i am going back to RCA cable ( all cable from bluejeanscable )

May i ask you another question ? For front speaker , what connection should i use in oppo ? The front out from 7.1 connection or dedicate 2ch connection ?
post #9641 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If you don't need the Stereo outputs hooked up as well for some other purpose, I recommend you use the Dedicated Analog Stereo L/R output jacks in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks from the multi-channel set. Be sure to set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT for this to work correctly. Keep things simple and use the RCA L/R jacks for this (along with the rest of the RCA jacks from the multi-channel set).
--Bob
justbenice likes this.

post #9642 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

There can be advantages to XLR and I have had some hum reduction when switching from unbalanced;
Not to say that cleaning up my wires could not have accomplished the same reduction smile.gif

XLR are 6 DB hotter, but they will not necessarily be louder. Some amps adjust the gain down by 6DB so it depends on your gear.
I chose to use them because I prefer the connection, they are not expensive (where well shielded RCA can be), and the common mode noise reduction may not help but does not hurt.

If a component implements balanced by grounding a line, then there will be no advantage. But that is an ersatz design.
The Halo amps are balanced in the first stage but (probably) not thereafter. That does not negate the potential transmission benefits.

- Rich

According to Richard Schram, CEO of Parasound, the Halo JC-2 preamp is balanced stem to stern. When I try both SE and XLR outputs from the Oppo BDP-105 while playing a CD or SACD, I see the input lights switch but the sound is continuous, suggesting the JC-2 pads the +6 dB XLR and that there is no quality difference. When I try the same thing from the Sony XA5400ES, SE is louder than XLR and it's difficult to tell if there is a quality difference. I presume the level difference is due to the impedance difference in the Sony SE and XLR outputs, not the connectors.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #9643 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ To get the same volume, there has to be a -6dB attenuator in the XLR path. Some amps/preamps that accept both have this as switch selectable.

Techie Note for Newbies: XLR works by sending the signal on two separate wires inside the same cable, biased either side of Ground. The theory is that any interference which penetrates the cable's shield will affect both paths equally. At the receiving end, one signal is subtracted from the other, thus automagically eliminating such interference. The volume difference comes from the math: (a) - (-a) = 2a. I.e., twice the voltage; +6dB hotter. The thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing inherently better about the signal carrying ability of the XLR cable compared to comparable quality RCA cabling. If no interference penetrates the cable's shield, there is nothing to eliminate and that's equally true of both cable types.

In typical home theater environments, decent, shielded RCA cabling works every bit as well simply because the cable lengths are modest and the interference environment is not that strong. XLR shines in studio environments where cable lengths are much longer and the sources of interference more worrisome.

"Balanced" circuit design *INSIDE* a device has similar goals and similar logic, but don't confuse that with the cabling.
--Bob

post #9644 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM

I unknowingly created a new thread when what I intended was a new topic.

I have a dedicated Mac Mini connected to the Oppo 105 asynchronous USB port via a 1 meter AQ Coffee cable, but then dropped the ball last year when an HD Tracks purchase would not download. What computer audio software would you recommend? The Mini is connected to our WiFi network and shows up on the iMac in the same room. We also have an unused iPad.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #9645 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I also moved your original thread to the MAC HTPC forum.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #9646 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:

^ To get the same volume, there has to be a -6dB attenuator in the XLR path. Some amps/preamps that accept both have this as switch selectable.

In typical home theater environments, decent, shielded RCA cabling works every bit as well simply because the cable lengths are modest and the interference environment is not that strong. XLR shines in studio environments where cable lengths are much longer and the sources of interference more worrisome.

"Balanced" circuit design *INSIDE* a device has similar goals and similar logic, but don't confuse that with the cabling.
--Bob

Except for XLR between the SME arm, Parasound JC-3 phono stage, and JC-2 preamp, I've switched out all XLR for SE connections with no ill effects. I did this to remove the Jensen transformers I used going from XLR to the SE KEF KUBEs for the Reference 107/2 mains and 102 surrounds. My rational for keeping the phono setup balanced was the low level of the signals.

db

post #9647 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I also moved your original thread to the MAC HTPC forum.

S~

Thanks, S.

db

post #9648 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post^ If you don't need the Stereo outputs hooked up as well for some other purpose, I recommend you use the Dedicated Analog Stereo L/R output jacks in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks from the multi-channel set. Be sure to set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT for this to work correctly. Keep things simple and use the RCA L/R jacks for this (along with the rest of the RCA jacks from the multi-channel set).
--Bob

My front channel amps are 25 feet away from the Oppo so I like to use XLR connections :D 

DSD downloads

post #9649 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I already know the BDP-105 plays DVDs, but what is the quality like? Does anyone know if the up-sampling process does a good job on clarity?

I haven't taken the plunge yet, I will be purchasing the 105D (I know, this is the wrong thread). I just want to make sure my DVD movies and DVD TV shows look good and not grainy.

Derogatory terms like "analog bigot", "digiphobe", "internet eggspurts" have nothing to do with electrical engineering.
post #9650 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99 View Post

Hello,

I already know the BDP-105 plays DVDs, but what is the quality like? Does anyone know if the up-sampling process does a good job on clarity?

I haven't taken the plunge yet, I will be purchasing the 105D (I know, this is the wrong thread). I just want to make sure my DVD movies and DVD TV shows look good and not grainy.

Hard to quantify quality. OPPO has always taken care with DVD imagery. The current players are as good in this regard as anything they've done in the past.

If the DVD has enough detail to show grain then the player is going to reproduce it, unless you dial up noise reduction (= smearing).

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9651 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks Bill.

I plan on using the machine for Blu-rays and DVDs. I just was wondering if anyone here had direct experience using DVDs.

Derogatory terms like "analog bigot", "digiphobe", "internet eggspurts" have nothing to do with electrical engineering.
post #9652 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello,

Far better picture than PS3. I use it all the time for DVDs.

post #9653 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Thanks Bill.

I plan on using the machine for Blu-rays and DVDs. I just was wondering if anyone here had direct experience using DVDs.
It looks about as good as it can with DVDs. I've seen some DVDs (mostly PAL but not all of them) that weren't that far from BD picture quality except in terms of color palette and ultimate color saturation. Bad DVDs will still look bad--the old silk purse/sow's ear bit.

post #9654 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll probably order it (the 105D) next week.

post #9655 of 12084 Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

My front channel amps are 25 feet away from the Oppo so I like to use XLR connections biggrin.gif  

DSD downloads

Thank you very much for that list!

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #9656 of 12084 Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

I unknowingly created a new thread when what I intended was a new topic.

I have a dedicated Mac Mini connected to the Oppo 105 asynchronous USB port via a 1 meter AQ Coffee cable, but then dropped the ball last year when an HD Tracks purchase would not download. What computer audio software would you recommend? The Mini is connected to our WiFi network and shows up on the iMac in the same room. We also have an unused iPad.

db

I highly recommend Audirvana.

This week I spent several hours struggling with Amarra, and it had constant failures--mostly surrounding sampling rate. It should automatically switch rates depending on the file being played back (it does not upsample), and only did it correctly a few times for me. The rest of the time, I had to switch the rates manually. Even then, it would not play back 192's consistently. Just caused horrible static and distorted playback. It also lost track of my OPPO every time I shut Amarra down, and I'd have to go in and manually reset it as my output device. I've tried deleting the preference file, uninstalling and reinstalling several times...it sounds good, but it's just plain buggy and way too much trouble for my taste.

I've found Audirvana plays back nearly flawlessly. And I can tweak it to sound just like Amarra :-) but I'm happy with the way it sounds. For myself, Audirvana sounds better than JRiver, but I only gave it a brief trial.

My asynch USB setup: Mac Mini quadcore i7, with 16 gigs of ram. Running Mavericks 10.9.2, to a BDP-105D. Audirvana has a 15 day free trial, give it a spin. Feel free to message me for setup tips.

Omar
post #9657 of 12084 Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:

^ Have you tried a re-install of your JRiver? The fact that it is working for other people suggests something is screwed up in the DLNA setup. Is everything ELSE working OK from your JRiver?
--Bob

Yes, everything else works fine. I agree, something in the DLNA seems amiss. The search continues.......
post #9658 of 12084 Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

I highly recommend Audirvana.

This week I spent several hours struggling with Amarra, and it had constant failures--mostly surrounding sampling rate. It should automatically switch rates depending on the file being played back (it does not upsample), and only did it correctly a few times for me. The rest of the time, I had to switch the rates manually. Even then, it would not play back 192's consistently. Just caused horrible static and distorted playback. It also lost track of my OPPO every time I shut Amarra down, and I'd have to go in and manually reset it as my output device. I've tried deleting the preference file, uninstalling and reinstalling several times...it sounds good, but it's just plain buggy and way too much trouble for my taste.

I've found Audirvana plays back nearly flawlessly. And I can tweak it to sound just like Amarra :-) but I'm happy with the way it sounds. For myself, Audirvana sounds better than JRiver, but I only gave it a brief trial.

My asynch USB setup: Mac Mini quadcore i7, with 16 gigs of ram. Running Mavericks 10.9.2, to a BDP-105D. Audirvana has a 15 day free trial, give it a spin. Feel free to message me for setup tips.

Omar

Audirvana works flawlessly and it sound superb biggrin.gif
post #9659 of 12084 Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Okay, I just tried playing back one of my multi-channel dsd audio files by "pushing" the track to my 105, and just like Real states, it stutters. The track I was using was around 6 min long, and I heard at least 4-5 short "stutters" throughout the playback of the track. I wasn't aware of this before, though I don't have very many multi-channel dsf files (I play stereo recordings). I even tried using a different media player on my Ipad (attaches to the JRiver server) to "push" the multi-ch dsf to my 105 and the stutter is still present. The only thing I can see is that my multi-ch dsf file has a large bit rate (14,112 kbps, which is 10 times that of normal CD), so the buffering/transmission of the audio stream may be producing the stuttering (device not being able to keep up). The stereo version of the same dsf (5644 kbps) file plays back fine.

As suggested by Bob, I achieved identical results pushing (using JRemote on an iPad) and pulling (using the Oppo). I would characterize what I am experiencing as both stuttering and distortion: constant, not periodic (much worse than what you are reporting). Thanks.
post #9660 of 12084 Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I see others are seeing same issues with DSD files as me - not to jump up and down, but it's odd to go days without someone at least tackling a post.

So, well, last time:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9600#post_24484162

Any thoughts?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page