15Likes

post #9721 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

What I've found so far is primarily a change in dynamic range with vs. without it. Also a difference in sound staging.

Omar,

I'll try to remove the JC-2 from the stereo path to the amps tomorrow, and pay particular attention to sound staging. The sound stage portrayed by the JC-2 is convincing, so that may be tough for the 105 to match. I'll try CDs, SACDs, and Blu-rays, stereo and surround.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post

Actually, what you are hearing with just the Oppo is how it colors the sound. Different strokes. -There's color coming from every component. You just remove one influence on the color you hear when you remove the separate preamp. It all boils down to personal preference. -I can't try that option since I have an integrated. I wouldn't mind trying it if I could facilitate it though. I do understand the flexibility that a preamp provides and, again, different strokes. Glad your enjoying your sound sans preamp.

I don't think you are quite understanding the root purpose of using the player as a pre-amp.
It allows you to hear more clarity and detail that is lost by running the audio through additional devices.
The fact that any preamp renders it's own (for lack of a better term) 'color' to the sound, is only secondary to getting the most accurate reproduction of the audio source.
If you have the ability to route the audio through another unit and truly not lose even the slightest bit of detail in the sound, then congratulations,
you've just succeeded at spending thousands of dollars to do exactly what the player was already doing for you. wink.gif

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #9723 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys. I'm new to building my own home theater and was just wondering if you can help me understand just what exactly does an OPPO do that say a Samsung blu ray player doesn't.

Thanks!
post #9724 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks David...I'm clueless as to how i could have missed the correct point you are making. Yes, the Oppo has trim and xover settings for proper BM.

Thanks Mongo ... are you referring to ARC from Anthem that you don't like? If so, what don't you like about it, if may ask?

I'm curious to try the direct-to-amp route but the volume control on the Oppo is so clunky that it turns me off. Who uses tiny square buttons for volume control for those of us who watch TV mostly in the dark? I'd rather prefer they re-assign the Page-Up /Page-Down button for volume control next time around.

I usually hear complaints against Audessey, Ypao and MCCAC. Most people use Audessey. After running it multiple times, they still have to go in and make manual adjustments. Usually it's trim levels and sub levels. Never really heard any complaints about the higher end components like Anthem.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9725 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88 View Post

Hey guys. I'm new to building my own home theater and was just wondering if you can help me understand just what exactly does an OPPO do that say a Samsung blu ray player doesn't.

Thanks!

We're better at specific technical questions here. OPPO's web pages show the player features, the manual is online, and the FAQs linked in my signature show details of operation.

Could you narrow down what it is you are looking for?

-Bill
post #9726 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I don't think you are quite understanding the root purpose of using the player as a pre-amp.
It allows you to hear more clarity and detail that is lost by running the audio through additional devices.
The fact that any preamp renders it's own (for lack of a better term) 'color' to the sound, is only secondary to getting the most accurate reproduction of the audio source.
If you have the ability to route the audio through another unit and truly not lose even the slightest bit of detail in the sound, then congratulations,
you've just succeeded at spending thousands of dollars to do exactly what the player was already doing for you. wink.gif

Generally speaking, the fewer devices you have in the audio reproduction chain, the fewer variables you're introducing into the mix which could affect the sound quality. Conrad-Johnson, for example, is in this "less is more" camp as are any number of other audio manufacturers. Bypassing a preamplifier by running the Oppo 105 directly into an amplifier eliminates the interconnects going from the preamp to the amp in addition to all the circuitry and internal wiring of the preamp itself and both of these factors will have a positive impact on the sound quality.

That having been said, there may be advantages to having a preamplifier in the reproduction chain because of the increased dynamic range resulting from the preamp's higher output versus the 2.1V (RCA)/4.2V (XLR) output of the Oppo 105. The difference between the two configurations (Oppo direct and Oppo into preamp) in terms of sound quality will be dependent to a large degree on the input sensitivity of the amp and the efficiency of the speakers. High input sensitive amps and/or highly efficient speakers may very well sound "better" when the amp is being directly fed because the system doesn't need the added gain of a preamp . And the opposite may be true for low input sensitive amps and/or less efficient speakers.

As has been stated before, the system's characteristics and the listener's preferences are the ultimate arbiters. There is no one right approach.

Just my 2¢.
OmarF and Smarty-pants like this.
post #9727 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 04:41 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

We're better at specific technical questions here. OPPO's web pages show the player features, the manual is online, and the FAQs linked in my signature show details of operation.

Could you narrow down what it is you are looking for?

-Bill

What I'm getting at is why is oppo's least expensive $500 and samsung most expensive $250. What sets oppo apart
post #9728 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

What I'm getting at is why is oppo's least expensive $500 and samsung most expensive $250. What sets oppo apart

I'm not familiar with Samsung's product line, so can't make a specific comparison.

In general, people appreciate OPPO for general build quality, excellent customer support, standard 2 year warranty, and the fact that they continue to service the first player they ever built.

In video the OPPOs when tested show reference levels, which is not always the case elsewhere.

Different video processors are available: QDEO on the 103/105, Darbee and VRS on the 103D/105D.

It has digital inputs, including asynchronous USB on the -105.

They continue to care about DVD performance, and support other legacy formats like DVD-A and SACD. They still have analog audio for those who need it (and had analog video for as long as the licensing authorities permitted that).

It has SMB as well as DLNA.

It has many small features that are important to those who need them: accepts 50hz sources and will optionally convert them to 60hz, vertical stretch for Constant Image Height projectors, shiftable subtitles.

-Bill
post #9729 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 AM
gsr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Among other things, support for DVD-Audio and SACD, better build quality, far better customer support, more video processing options, better analog audio quality, etc.
post #9730 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

In addition to what Bill wrote, Samsung has very mediocre reliability, and even worse customer support. What you get in general when you go with more expensive players are additional features (dual HDMI outputs, for example, and inputs with video processing in the case of Oppo) and better audio DACs (important if you are interested in analog audio output). If all you want to do is use HDMI to your display or receiver for playing shiny discs (BluRay and DVD) and/or stream Netflix, then any player would be fine (although Panny and Sony are more popular here than Samsung, due to my comments above).
post #9731 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Omar,

I'll try to remove the JC-2 from the stereo path to the amps tomorrow, and pay particular attention to sound staging. The sound stage portrayed by the JC-2 is convincing, so that may be tough for the 105 to match. I'll try CDs, SACDs, and Blu-rays, stereo and surround.

db

Also pay attention to the punch of the base. You may find a loss of punch without the Pre. That and the weight of the individual instruments. Those are the things that stood out the most for me.

BTW my premap is a Pass Labs x2.5 if that matters. I am not sure if it is know to color the sound or not. I suppose I should look up a review or two to see what they say.

James

post #9732 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

That having been said, there may be advantages to having a preamplifier in the reproduction chain because of the increased dynamic range resulting from the preamp's higher output versus the 2.1V (RCA)/4.2V (XLR) output of the Oppo 105. The difference between the two configurations (Oppo direct and Oppo into preamp) in terms of sound quality will be dependent to a large degree on the input sensitivity of the amp and the efficiency of the speakers. High input sensitive amps and/or highly efficient speakers may very well sound "better" when the amp is being directly fed because the system doesn't need the added gain of a preamp . And the opposite may be true for low input sensitive amps and/or less efficient speakers.

Joe,

That makes a lot of sense. I am sure that is it. That may be why Oppo is not marketing this as being a standalone Preamp.

James

post #9733 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Interesting to see all the different experiences people are having. One point I'll make is that it's stated by OPPO, I believe in the pdf from the UK where using it as a preamp is discussed, that using a high grade preamp can still sound better than just the OPPO alone. Or perhaps that was mentioned in the paper I saw from ESS describing their volume management technology in the DAC. Either way, we all have to decide what sounds best for us, given our tastes and equipment For myself, I have Ayre pre and amp, which are pretty solid pieces. Perhaps this provision applies to them and that's why I have better sound with the preamp inline.

I will say that I liked the soundstaging and vocals better direct to amp, but again, I lost a lot of dynamic range. This was most noticeable in percussion, where drums lost their impact. I think the last time I was comparing, I was upsampling with Audirvana to the DAC. I may try again this weekend, sans upsampling, and see what happens. I will say that upsampling in general tends to soften all the leading edges of sound, which may exacerbate an otherwise minor loss of dynamic range by cutting out the preamp.

Omar

I've not seen that in any statement published by OPPO, and it would seem like an odd sort of statement for ESS to make since their volume management is one of the key features of these DACs. If you can find it again that would be useful.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9734 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Also, I had bought a more expensive Samsung BD several years back (7900 something?) with dual HDMI outputs and gets used infrequently. Rented a Bluray with company over so tried to use the Samsung. It would not read the disk. Checked on the 103, just fine. Ended up sticking a Sony BD player that I bought for the screen room. Had similar issues with a Denon BD. No issues with the Oppo.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #9735 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's interesting that different users have varying results with direct vs pre amp configurations. I used a few high quality recordings that I know very well to do my comparisons. I also used an SPL meter to make sure the volume levels matched. I have a pretty dead room with some absorption panels up but still prefer what Audyssey xt32 adds to the signal path. I honestly would not call it coloration, rather locking in instruments and vocals across the soundstage. It just add to my opinion that there is no one size fits all solutions in the world of home audio systems.

post #9736 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

It's interesting that different users have varying results with direct vs pre amp configurations. I used a few high quality recordings that I know very well to do my comparisons. I also used an SPL meter to make sure the volume levels matched. I have a pretty dead room with some absorption panels up but still prefer what Audyssey xt32 adds to the signal path. I honestly would not call it coloration, rather locking in instruments and vocals across the soundstage. It just add to my opinion that there is no one size fits all solutions in the world of home audio systems.
Question for you? Are you playing back digital audio files from the 105 instead of your AVR? If so, are you using the 105's hdmi or optical output (i.e. digital) instead of its analog output to your AVR? If Audyssey corrections take place in the digital domain of your AVR, wouldn't it be more logical for your AVR to receive a digital bitstream rather than an analog audio output? Granted, you would be using your 105 as a transport in this mode for audio playback, but if I was going to be doing further digital processing downstream from my audio source component, i would leave the audio path in the digital domain for as long as possible to prevent degradation of the final analog audio signal.
post #9737 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I am already aware the BDP-105 plays DSD64 and DSD128*
(*through Asynchronous USB connection only)

My question is, does the machine play MCH DSD64 (5.1)?

Thank you.

Derogatory terms like "analog bigot", "digiphobe", "internet eggspurts" have nothing to do with electrical engineering.
post #9738 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99 View Post

Hello,

I am already aware the BDP-105 plays DSD64 and DSD128*
(*through Asynchronous USB connection only)

My question is, does the machine play MCH DSD64 (5.1)?

Thank you.
I believe only the 105D plays DSD128 thru its usb dac input. The 105 will only play 2-channel dsd64 via its usb dac input. But it can also play multi-ch dsd64 via attached usb storage, DLNA, and SMB. If you want the 105 to do dsd-direct to analog processing, the 105's crossover/audio processing, and down-mixing won't be available. If you want those features, you'll need to convert dsd audio output to LPCM in the 105's settings.
post #9739 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

@Dan. I'm using the XLR between the 105 and 8801. I use various sources, primarily cd's directly from the 105 but also Sonos using the coaxial, a cd changer using the optical and my PCM using the USB all plugged into the 105. Does using Audyssey change the feed into the XLR from analog to digital? I guess I never considered that being a possibility. The 8801 has plenty of digital inputs but I heard so many good things about the 105 as a grat music source that I set it up a a digital hub. I watch movies via HDMI to the 8801. It's almost mind boggeling how many ways there are to connect digital sources. I need to set aside time to
Connect every source in every conceivable way to see what sounds best on my system in my room. You have to understand I grew up in the analog era so still getting my feet wet with rhe 0's and 1's.

post #9740 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275
So in my case I really like the OPPO BDP-105 as a preamp especially if I want to listen to DSD MC SACD other wise I really like the SSP-800 flexibility and sound
post #9741 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

@Dan. I'm using the XLR between the 105 and 8801. I use various sources, primarily cd's directly from the 105 but also Sonos using the coaxial, a cd changer using the optical and my PCM using the USB all plugged into the 105. Does using Audyssey change the feed into the XLR from analog to digital? I guess I never considered that being a possibility. The 8801 has plenty of digital inputs but I heard so many good things about the 105 as a grat music source that I set it up a a digital hub. I watch movies via HDMI to the 8801. It's almost mind boggeling how many ways there are to connect digital sources. I need to set aside time to
Connect every source in every conceivable way to see what sounds best on my system in my room. You have to understand I grew up in the analog era so still getting my feet wet with rhe 0's and 1's.
Yes, it's all digital processing. Your 105's analog signal will need to be converted to digital in your AVR, negating any gains made by the 105's DAC's. Try sending your audio signal digitally (via hdmi) to your AVR if you want to use Audyssey. Your AVR has high resolution, 32 bit dacs. No need to convert your digital signal to analog with the 105 if you're applying Audyssey corrections and using your AVR's DAC's for the final analog output.
post #9742 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11

I have a similar question to g_bartman and you may have also answered my question but being a noobie I wanted to ask anyways.

I am in the process of building my system, I have a Halo A51 amp and Maranatz AV8801.  I purchased a Sonos connect and I will be streaming probably 90% of my music for the near future. 

My question is, I want to maximize sound quality from streaming music from the Sonos, so is there any benefit (and how would I hook it up) in running the sonos through the Oppo, or would I be better off using just an external DAC? or is it all negated because ultimately it goes into the AV8801.  This all seems so confusing and too many endless ways on how you can hook stuff up.

Regards

post #9743 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

@Dan. Thank you for the info. It does not make sense to go d/a a/d then d/a again. I will do some experimentation this weekend. @Forza, I would just hook up the Sonos hub via coaxial or optical digital directly to your 8801, especially if you intend to implement Ausyssey.

post #9744 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
gsr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaFrogs View Post

I have a similar question to g_bartman and you may have also answered my question but being a noobie I wanted to ask anyways.

I am in the process of building my system, I have a Halo A51 amp and Maranatz AV8801.  I purchased a Sonos connect and I will be streaming probably 90% of my music for the near future. 

My question is, I want to maximize sound quality from streaming music from the Sonos, so is there any benefit (and how would I hook it up) in running the sonos through the Oppo, or would I be better off using just an external DAC? or is it all negated because ultimately it goes into the AV8801.  This all seems so confusing and too many endless ways on how you can hook stuff up.
If you want to use Audyssey (or other digital processing) in the AV8801, connect the Bluray player and Sonos to digital inputs on the AV8801. And if doing so, save yourself a bunch of money and get the BDP-103 or BDP-103D instead of a BDP-105 or BDP-105D.

If you don't want to use Audyssey or other digital processing in the AV8801, then ask yourself if you might be better off eliminating the AV8801 from your system entirely. If you have other analog sources, such as a turntable, then consider replacing the AV8801 with an analog preamp. If you only have digital sources and the BDP-105 has enough inputs to suit your needs, then try connecting the BDP-105 analog outputs direct to your amp, though some people have found they still prefer the sound with an external preamp in the mix.

There are lots of options - some experimentation may be in order wink.gif.

But if you use the BDP-105 as your preamp, be absolutely certain that you've set the volume control to variable and set it to a low level before playing any audio.
post #9745 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Liked: 24
This thread about whether to use a preamp between an Oppo 105 and an amp has pretty much ignored the role of the preamp as a switch that permits multiple analog sources to share access to the stereo inputs of an amp. The 105 offers no analog input for those of us with an anachronistic bent to continue playing vinyl. I sent a suggestion to Oppo that in the future they might add a trigger to turn amps on and off for those us -- my 95 connects directly to a Proceed Amp 2 in a secondary setup -- who want to use the Oppo direct to amps.

I don't see an analog output impedance specification for the 105, just 2.1 Vrms for SE and 4.2 Vrms for XLR at 0 dBFS. The Proceed HPA series amps inputs are specified at 1.586 Vrms SE at 11k Ohms for full output (500 watts/channel into 4 Ohms) or 3.17 Vrms XLR at 100k Ohms XLR. If I'm reading it correctly, the 105 seems to deliver more than enough voltage to drive the HPA amps to 500 watts/channel into 4 Ohms. The KEF Reference 107/2s are rated as 4 Ohm speakers with 90 dB efficiency.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #9746 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
^ Impedance specs and direct-amp-connection recommendations for the 105 -- from the OPPO UK site:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9747 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but there seems to be quite a few 105 owners who don't see Ausyssey as beneficial in augmenting music reproduction? I understand wanting the purist signal possible and believe inits benefits, just wondering where my fello 105 owners stand on the benefits or lack there of when it comes to room correction software.

post #9748 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

But if you use the BDP-105 as your preamp, be absolutely certain that you've set the volume control to variable and set it to a low level before playing any audio.
There is a setting in the Oppo that allows you to set what the volume be when the unit is turned on.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Arcam Alpha 8P x 3 Power Amps
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #9749 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish I would have realized that using Audyssey negates the benefits of the top shelf dac's in the 105 but live and learn. Still a great piece of equipment.

post #9750 of 11256 Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

I don't see an analog output impedance specification for the 105, just 2.1 Vrms for SE and 4.2 Vrms for XLR at 0 dBFS. The Proceed HPA series amps inputs are specified at 1.586 Vrms SE at 11k Ohms for full output (500 watts/channel into 4 Ohms) or 3.17 Vrms XLR at 100k Ohms XLR. If I'm reading it correctly, the 105 seems to deliver more than enough voltage to drive the HPA amps to 500 watts/channel into 4 Ohms. The KEF Reference 107/2s are rated as 4 Ohm speakers with 90 dB efficiency.

db
Back in December, Laird William's wrote a detailed reply on this 105 thread about component compatibility regarding input/output impedances. It was a good read!! From your Proceed Amp's specs above, tied in with Laird's reply, I'm thinking you may see some issues if you're using your amp's single-ended inputs, because they have an input impedance of 11K ohms, while the 105 would be compatible with components whose input impedances are at least 47K Ohms. Your amp's balanced inputs are rated at 100K Ohm input impedance, which would cause no issues with the 105. The 105 has a low, 100 Ohm output impedance.

Laird William's post #8287.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/8280
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page