Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #991 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI

I am taking delivery of the 105 today. It will be replacing my 93. My preamp/processor is pre HDMI.
I plan to connect HDMI 1 from the 105 directly to the monitor. I will be connecting the multi channel analog outputs of the 105 to the processor. Should I also connect the separate stereo analog outputs from the 105 to another analog input of my processor as well when I only listen to stereo? Or should I just use the multi channel outputs for both stereo and multi channel listening?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

HI
I am taking delivery of the 105 today. It will be replacing my 93. My preamp/processor is pre HDMI.
I plan to connect HDMI 1 from the 105 directly to the monitor. I will be connecting the multi channel analog outputs of the 105 to the processor. Should I also connect the separate stereo analog outputs from the 105 to another analog input of my processor as well when I only listen to stereo? Or should I just use the multi channel outputs for both stereo and multi channel listening?
Thanks

That's up to you. You can also use the configure the separate stereo outs to be used as the multi-channel FL/FR outs.
post #993 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

That's up to you. You can also use the configure the separate stereo outs to be used as the multi-channel FL/FR outs.

IMHO, that is the way to go. I have done that and the sound quality is exceptional on stereo sources.

Cheers.

Tony
post #994 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Are both the FL/FR and L/R active at the same time?
Is there a configure option to use the stereo L/R as FR/FL with the multi channel inputs?
post #995 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ On the Mac, in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility notice that the column on the left has separate line items for each physical drive and for any logical volumes that are formatted in the partitions on that drive.
Select the physical drive line to see how the physical drive is partitioned (information at the bottom of the window). E.g., MBR or GUID
Select a logical volume line on the physical drive to see how that volume is formatted (information at the bottom of the window). E.g., FAT
--Bob

Disk Description : WD My Book 111A Media Total Capacity : 3 TB (3,000,558,944,256 Bytes)
Connection Bus : USB Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
USB Serial Number : Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

I then clicked into the top level folder in the utility and got this:

Mount Point : /Volumes/My Book Capacity : 3 TB (3,000,214,970,368 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 1.76 TB (1,764,377,923,584 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No Used : 1.24 TB (1,235,837,046,784 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 23,561 Number of Files : 148,353

Here is what I get. When I connect to directly to the data USB input (not DAC). The weirdest thing is that I can navigate (through network, not direct USB) to this drive if it is hanging off the time capsule via USB. Also strange is that I cannot (again via Network) access a 600GB directory of FLAC files stored directly in the time capsule (i can see the top level folder but the subfolders containing music do not show up) while another directory with 500GB is easily accessible as are others with mixed storage of 100 GB.

When connected through the USB data port in the back, in music the USB read EIF, and when I click a folder named BUDA shows s up. When I click on BUDA, nothing happens, it just sends me back to the green arrow pointing up.
thanks!

As said, the OPPO supports only FAT and NTFS file systems, which it doesn't seem your drive is using.

Depending on the server, DLNA and SMB will work with the drive because the server conceals the details of the host file system.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #996 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

As said, the OPPO supports only FAT and NTFS file systems, which it doesn't seem your drive is using.
Depending on the server, DLNA and SMB will work with the drive because the server conceals the details of the host file system.
-Bill

Ok, yes, the drive is formatted for MAC, so I guess that's why its a no go. I know I could reformat the drive to FAT/NTFS but I think I will get another one and hang this one off my time capsule as I can access it through the Network. When I do get another one, would getting a Windows formatted one do the trick? (The WD HD I got was specifically for MACs, they sell the others formatted for Windows) or are there procedures for formatting I should use? Thanks!
post #997 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

Ok, yes, the drive is formatted for MAC, so I guess that's why its a no go. I know I could reformat the drive to FAT/NTFS but I think I will get another one and hang this one off my time capsule as I can access it through the Network. When I do get another one, would getting a Windows formatted one do the trick? (The WD HD I got was specifically for MACs, they sell the others formatted for Windows) or are there procedures for formatting I should use? Thanks!

If you are not going to attach it to the player, then anything that your server is happy with will work.

The drives I have bought recently have had NTFS on them. That would be "Windows format".

Someone posted about an NTFS formatting utility for Mac here recently; you might search the thread for "NTFS" and read the most recent hits.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #998 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le-penseur View Post

Others will probably provide a much better answer, but I had the same question myself,
especially since my display (a Pioneer plasma) has options for supporting both.  In the end, I set my display to accept YCbCr 4:2:2, and the 105 to output the same, simply because the BDP-105 manual said the following (for "HDMI Options"):
  • YCbCr 4:2:2 – The HDMI output uses YCbCr 4:2:2 color space. Generally this is the color space that is closest to the color space encoded on the discs. (All discs are encoded in YCbCr 4:2:0 color space, and the video decoder decodes it into YCbCr 4:2:2.)

Hope this helps ...

I've got another take on that. I want the OPPO to do the most of the video processing and leave the TV with little to do, so I choose 36 bit YCbCr 4:4:4 to transmit the most color information possible.

But if I want it to take effect, I must also select "1080p pure direct", otherwise I had a crappy picture. I also was puzzled by the lesser quality compared to the 93 until I sorted that out. Now it looks great. (I used a different HDMI input on the Panny because only HDMI2 supports ARC)
post #999 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lap777 View Post

I've got another take on that. I want the OPPO to do the most of the video processing and leave the TV with little to do, so I choose 36 bit YCbCr 4:4:4 to transmit the most color information possible.
But if I want it to take effect, I must also select "1080p pure direct", otherwise I had a crappy picture. I also was puzzled by the lesser quality compared to the 93 until I sorted that out. Now it looks great. (I used a different HDMI input on the Panny because only HDMI2 supports ARC)

FWIW, the Panny plasmas usually do all their work in 4:4:4 format, so sending it that eliminates conversions in the display. However I'ver never been able to see ANY differences in my Panny regardless of the input format (as it should be).
I suspect the Pannys simply clip (drop) the extra bits when you send them 36 bit deep color, but again it doesn't seem to make any visible difference.

As you discovered, each HDMI input on the Panny has completely separate calibration. It's well worth the expense to have a pro calibration done on every input which enables ISF mode and eliminates any chance of user error in setup.
post #1000 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

Quote:

Are both the FL/FR and L/R active at the same time?
Is there a configure option to use the stereo L/R as FR/FL with the multi channel inputs?

Yes, and yes.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1001 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

darkphader. How do you set it up this way?
post #1002 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bob wrote:
Quote:
OPPO Digital is now reselling the ROKU Streaming Stick at special, "BUNDLE" pricing!

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

OPPO is selling an "OEM Version" of the ROKU Streaming Stick which does not include the ROKU remote control. This is because the regular OPPO remote for the 103/105 acts as the remote control for the ROKU when you are using the ROKU. (You select to use the ROKU using the Input button on the OPPO remote, or via the ROKU icon on Home Menu.)

Anybody can buy one of these OEM Version sticks direct from OPPO for $79.99 -- $20 off the pricing of the normal, retail version.

BUT WAIT!

If you buy a 103 or 105, you can get an even better "BUNDLE" pricing of $49.99 for the same thing!
Cool, but I've got the ROKU stick, as it comes with our 3M Streaming Video Projector:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ConsumerProjectors/?WT.mc_id=www.3mmobileprojectors.com
post #1003 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post

darkphader. How do you set it up this way?

Settings > Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO
and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:
􀁸 Down-mixed Stereo – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out
from the dedicated stereo output terminals.
􀁸 Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out
from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC
hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multichannel
speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output. When this
option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of
the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be
connected.

Pg 74 of the User Manual
post #1004 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Well, I just performed the firmware update, and my player is now running firmware version BDP10X-38-1205B.

Unfortunately, it did not fix my problem: the same two discs continue to load as CDs!  I will be taking my player in to their office for further investigations tomorrow.

Update:

I was about to take in my unit today, but received this email from OPPO tech.

support this morning:

We have confirmed that the player will not reliably read
SACD as SACD when using the latest beta firmware. We will
have to continue to work on this through a future firmware
release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

So, I'm back to square one, and will just have to wait to have this fixed properly.

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons
post #1005 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post

Quote:

I do like the snap-crackle-pop-free playback of digital media, and have, for the past few years, come to a very workable solution for the vinyl quandary:  transfer vinyl to 24bits/96kHz digital audio using a very high-quality chain (with very sparingly applied manual pop-crackle removal) .....  I've amassed many of these "albums" on hard drives, and something like the BDP 105 (or the 95) would finally give me the chance to play these back directly without going through the DVD-audio burning stage.

How well is this working out? Are you able to create playlists of your music collection with the 105? (Somewhere in a recent comment a question was raised as to whether or not the green button adds tracks to a temporary playlist - I didn't see this confirmed or not.)

I have just started to try this out: got very good results with a portable 1.5TB USB drive (that was NTFS formatted): the BDP-105 saw all directories, and I could easily navigate to the ones with music.  I keep everything FLAC-encoded, and the BDP-105 had no problems playing any of the files I tried so far (as for the sound, I'm going to listen more extensively before I can comment).  However,

1. I haven't figured out how to create playlists; I also saw a previous post that said that the "online manual" described how to do this, but I haven't found any documentation on this yet.  If anyone can tell us how to actually do this, it will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Many of my CDs are stored as FLAC-encoded "clones" of the entire disc, created by Exact Audio Copy, instead of as individual tracks.  This is the best way to maintain gap-less playback, etc.  The corresponding CUE file (.cue), which is used by music players such as foobar2000 to allow navigation/playback of the individual tracks in that single FLAC file, is unfortunately not recognized by the BDP-105.  So, while I can play the entire CD in the usual manner by simply playing this single FLAC file, I cannot easily navigate through the tracks within it using the track-skip-forward/backward buttons (I can, of course, still FF/REW through it smile.gif).  This is just a very minor issue, of course, but one should be aware of it.  I can always get around it by using CueTools to break the "clone" into the individual tracks, if necessary.
  3. I haven't yet tried any HDCD-encoded CD tracks: will report when I get around to those.

Quote:
I hope to use the BDP 105 for the same thing - i.e. playing back my music collection from large thumb drives, USB hard drive or a NAS. I'm already archiving my CD collection using dBpoweramp. I'm planning to work on my vinyl collection soon, as well. What programs or devices are you using to digitize your vinyl collection, and to clean up snaps & pops? Do you have recommendations? OK to PM me on digitizing recommendations, if too far off-topic.

Sure, I'll let you know by PM later on in the day ...

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons
post #1006 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have just started to try this out: got very good results with a portable 1.5TB USB drive (that was NTFS formatted): the BDP-105 saw all directories, and I could easily navigate to the ones with music.  I keep everything FLAC-encoded, and the BDP-105 had no problems playing any of the files I tried so far (as for the sound, I'm going to listen more extensively before I can comment).  However,
  1. I haven't figured out how to create playlists; I also saw a previous post that said that the "online manual" described how to do this, but I haven't found any documentation on this yet.  If anyone can tell us how to actually do this, it will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Many of my CDs are stored as FLAC-encoded "clones" of the entire disc, created by Exact Audio Copy, instead of as individual tracks.  This is the best way to maintain gap-less playback, etc.  The corresponding CUE file (.cue), which is used by music players such as foobar2000 to allow navigation/playback of the individual tracks in that single FLAC file, is unfortunately not recognized by the BDP-105.  So, while I can play the entire CD in the usual manner by simply playing this single FLAC file, I cannot easily navigate through the tracks within it using the track-skip-forward/backward buttons (I can, of course, still FF/REW through it smile.gif ).  This is just a very minor issue, of course, but one should be aware of it.  I can always get around it by using CueTools to break the "clone" into the individual tracks, if necessary.
  3. I haven't yet tried any HDCD-encoded CD tracks: will report when I get around to those.

Sure, I'll let you know by PM later on in the day ...

I read the manual and couldn't find any instructions on how to make a playlist for the music files.
post #1007 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Folks, thank you for helping me get set up. At this point, I have no idea why I cannot access my 650gb FLAC folder, but I just wanted to say that the USB DAC is incredible! I hooked up my mac mini and the sound is superb. I also tested out the bass by running the 2 RCAs into the R/L input of my Fathom f133 speaker with the crossover set at 80 and it sounds great. Next up is the consideration of ditching itunes in favor of J River Media Center...
post #1008 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
FMD

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

I read the manual and couldn't find any instructions on how to make a playlist for the music files.

Same here............that would be nice.

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #1009 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Is it safe to leave the bottom of the 105 with little to no ventilation?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #1010 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ The air gap provided by the feet is what's needed.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1011 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Same here............that would be nice.

This is a little odd. The latest firmware allows you to make playlist from CD and SACD. But it is not possible to make a playlist from external hard drive !!! I thought it should be the other way around since it is obvious that you can store more music files on a hard drive than in a single CD.

Why would they add that feature for CD and SACD but not for hard drive???
post #1012 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The air gap provided by the feet is what's needed.
--Bob

Cool (pun intendedsmile.gif)!

lap777 likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #1013 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 04:47 PM

When in doubt, hockey pucks do the trick, nothing like over doubling the cooling supply!
post #1014 of 11574 Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Sorry if this is turning into an Audio Theory session ...  i was just shocked at the history and compromises Sony and others made to sell the SACD format to the general public.

Well, first of all, they didn't really sell it to the general public. Know a lot of people with SACDs? (I may hold the record, because I really like SACDs.)

Sony was very upfront about how SACD works. Published papers on it, etc. They didn't make compromises--they made explicit design choices. You might not agree with those choices, but at least be fair about how you disagree.

My hope is that Blu-ray audio will become popular, because there are a lot more Blu-ray players than SACD players, but I fear we've lost out to hideous compressed lossy formats like mp3 because of "convenience". Fast food is also convenient, but it's one step up from poison.

When studios go through the trouble to record on DXD and mix it down to DSD, they tend to do a good job. That's really the deciding factor--how well was the recording done? The final medium matters less than the care taken upstream.

If a studio knows the music is destined for mp3, why would they bother to do a good job?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #1015 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

The BDP 95 manual page 46, in section titled "Playing Music Files," shows how the on-screen menu appears, and it includes a "Playlist" as an option, with the following text in the description:

"Press the GREEN color button to add the currently highlighted music file to the Playlist. A green check mark will appear in front of the file name, and the Playlist count in the lower left corner of the screen will increase by one."

This makes a temporary playlist (i.e. not saved for future sessions), in my experience. I don't know if a playlist can be saved long-term after powering down.

Again, this is from the model BDP 95 manual. Is there a playlist feature for the 105? It is very nice being able to make playlists on the fly with the BDP 95.
post #1016 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

If a studio knows the music is destined for mp3, why would they bother to do a good job?

I'd settle for the end of concerts on BluRay that have obviously been mixed to a very high average volume. They have a perfectly good format and the sonics are intentionally trashed.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #1017 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The more I read about the BDP-105, the more I think I want one. So, let me see if I have a complete understanding of the pre-amp capabilities of the BDP-105. From what I can tell, it appears the I could in theory eliminate my AVR as a pre-amp from my HT equation. I could use an HDMI switch leading to the rear HDMI input on the BDP-105 for source control. I can use the 7.1 pre-outs (minus the FR/FL) plus the dedicated stereo outputs for a complete 7.1 pre-out to my external amps. The BDP-105 from what I can tell can upmix 2.0 channel to DTS NEO:6 and can obviously output other standard surround sound formats in their native form. I imagine it cannot upmix 5.1 to 7.1, but that isn't a deal breaker. Am I on the right track in terms of capability? If so, I am quite impressed.

Thanks in advance.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #1018 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post

The more I read about the BDP-105, the more I think I want one. So, let me see if I have a complete understanding of the pre-amp capabilities of the BDP-105. From what I can tell, it appears the I could in theory eliminate my AVR as a pre-amp from my HT equation. I could use an HDMI switch leading to the rear HDMI input on the BDP-105 for source control. I can use the 7.1 pre-outs (minus the FR/FL) plus the dedicated stereo outputs for a complete 7.1 pre-out to my external amps. The BDP-105 from what I can tell can upmix 2.0 channel to DTS NEO:6 and can obviously output other standard surround sound formats in their native form. I imagine it cannot upmix 5.1 to 7.1, but that isn't a deal breaker. Am I on the right track in terms of capability? If so, I am quite impressed.
Thanks in advance.

You got it right. Its a game changer product and Im loving it.
post #1019 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post

From what I can tell, it appears the I could in theory eliminate my AVR as a pre-amp from my HT equation.

I had that same exact thought in mind, when I bought the 105. It is indeed an amazing device, but not fully able to replace an AVR. The main problem is in user comfort. Eventhough all te functinalities are there, it would need more flexibilty in configuration of different inputs and outputs of the device. E.g. the Neo:6 up-sampling when swithed on, means all your inputs are affected, even the Bluray source.

If you are the only one using your system, I think this is a minor nuisance, but as in my case with the whole family using the system, the AVR is still a must.

Just my 5 cents...
post #1020 of 11574 Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuperT View Post

E.g. the Neo:6 up-sampling when swithed on, means all your inputs are affected, even the Bluray source.

So the DTS Neo:6 is only enabled via the setup menu or is it a button on the remote? If it is only via the menus, then I could see it as being a great inconvenience. Thanks for the info.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page