Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 346 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 757
I run my 105 to my amp with RCA's out to my speakers with speaker wire. All analog.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^ Well technically not all analog. Your source is digital.smile.gif

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post

Omar, nothing is clear.
I do not have a two channels set up. I have a 5.1 power amplifier.
I have 5.1 preamp.
My stereo has nothing to do with my surround apart of sharing the front speaker but not in the same time. I can listen to music or I could see a movie. Not in the same time.
You are saying like this: It I play blu-ray a DTS movie in Oppo and get out through Oppo's stereo everything is decoded. I connect to the preamp through Tape input. from there in my preamp it will get out as 5.1 Dolby? Or what?
Is that you are saying?

Ah, I've reread your posts. Okay, I have a better understanding now. Sorry I got a bit confused, I was rushing when I read your posts earlier, and I'd been working all night.

Your current preamp does not have HDMI input, nor does it have 5.1 analog input. It's only form of decoding is Dolby. It has optical and coaxial inputs. It has 5.1 output to your amp.

With your current setup, Optical and Coax will not do you a lot of good. If you go optical or coax out of the OPPO to your preamp by bitstream, your preamp will only be able to decode DD. If you go by LPCM out of the OPPO, everything will be downmixed to 2 channel before being sent to your preamp.

1) what is the input impedance of your amplifier? It should be in your manual's specifications, or available somewhere online.

2) IF your amp's input impedance is 47 K ohms or higher, you can try running the 105 directly to your amp as a preamp. Just BE AWARE, you may be happy with it (given the age of your equipment, I suspect you would be happier with it than with your current preamp), or you may not. If not happy, then you'd be in a position of buying a new preamp, anyway.

3) IF your amp's input impedance is BELOW 47 K ohms, you will not be able to use the 105 as a preamp. In this case, you would need to buy a new preamp and a 103, then run the 103 HDMI into the new preamp.

Omar
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

IF your amp's input impedance is BELOW 47 K ohms, you will not be able to use the 105 as a preamp. In this case, you would need to buy a new preamp and a 103, then run the 103 HDMI into the new preamp.Omar
While I have seen it stated on Oppo documentation that 47K ohms is the recommended power amp input impedance I cannot agree that this is a hard-and-fast requirement. My amps (3 identical stereo) are 15K input impedance and work fine.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

While I have seen it stated on Oppo documentation that 47K ohms is the recommended power amp input impedance I cannot agree that this is a hard-and-fast requirement. My amps (3 identical stereo) are 15K input impedance and work fine.

I hear you, but remember the fellow lives outside the US/Canada, and it might be very difficult for him to return the item if it doesn't work for him.

Omar
Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM

^Okay one of the experts weigh in here but isn't a power amp simply the piece that increases a line level signal so that it can run speaker cones? The 105 outputs a line level signal via the analog outputs, correct? So if you run this into a power amp there really shouldn't be a whole lot that can screw up, right? Regardless of the actual power amp specs it's still a power amp and it does what it does - run speakers.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ Well technically not all analog. Your source is digital.smile.gif

How do you know I'm not spinning a platter? tongue.gif

Old 04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Hi, I have two Rotel amps and one is dedicated to the rear-surround speakers in my 5.1 system. It works okay - at low levels. At reference level, I've noticed clipping in both speakers and thought that maybe the amp is underpowered (7x 100 Watts). Now I see that the input impedance is 8.3K ohms and may not match up well with the 105's analog outputs. Before I pull my old Onkyo 818 AVR from the storage closet, is there any reason to believe the Onkyo's outputs will be any better? Thanks.

OLED Display: Samsung S9C
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^Okay one of the experts weigh in here but isn't a power amp simply the piece that increases a line level signal so that it can run speaker cones? The 105 outputs a line level signal via the analog outputs, correct? So if you run this into a power amp there really shouldn't be a whole lot that can screw up, right? Regardless of the actual power amp specs it's still a power amp and it does what it does - run speakers.

He lost me at "it sounds better with a preamp because it sounds more natural" or something like that.

A power amplifier's main job is to increase the amplitude of the input signal by a set amount by the output stage.

My amp runs fine at 28K input resistance.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Hi, I have two Rotel amps and one is dedicated to the rear-surround speakers in my 5.1 system. It works okay - at low levels. At reference level, I've noticed clipping in both speakers and thought that maybe the amp is underpowered (7x 100 Watts). Now I see that the input impedance is 8.3K ohms and may not match up well with the 105's analog outputs. Before I pull my old Onkyo 818 AVR from the storage closet, is there any reason to believe the Onkyo's outputs will be any better? Thanks.

It's either amps clipping or the speakers are under-powered.

The amps' input impedance is 8.3K?

What are those speakers' wattage rating?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mongo, I get your skepticism, but If you heard it you'd understand. On its own the 105 sounds muffled compared to when I use my preamp. Don't know how else to spell it out, the OPPO doesn't produce nearly as dynamic a sound on its own. This was confirmed by two other ppl who I blind tested on comparing the two, on separate occasions from each other. One of them was a sound engineer.

Omar
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Here is a question for Bob or other OPPO experts.

When I ran my OPPO BDP-105 straight to the amps ( Classe CA-M600 and Classe CA-5200) I never had to raise the volume higher than 35 out of 100 to reach 95 db.

Now that my Classe SSP-800 is in front of the OPPO the volume needs to be raised to -20 db (the volume on the Classe is absolute). It seems that I have to raise the volume much higher to get the same db. Any reasons why you think that is?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Here is a question for Bob or other OPPO experts.

When I ran my OPPO BDP-105 straight to the amps ( Classe CA-M600 and Classe CA-5200) I never had to raise the volume higher than 35 out of 100 to reach 95 db.

Now that my Classe SSP-800 is in front of the OPPO the volume needs to be raised to -20 db (the volume on the Classe is absolute). It seems that I have to raise the volume much higher to get the same db. Any reasons why you think that is?
If the Oppo is passing through the analog bypass path of the SSP-800, that path is not unity gain until the Volume is 0 dB (assuming trims = 0).

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

How do you know I'm not spinning a platter? tongue.gif
You're testing me right? Okay I'll bite. The 105 doesn't do analog sources.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Not the case. "Line level" refers to voltage. And voltage is attenuated by a voltage divider. And the combination off the output impedance with the input impedance creates a voltage divider, which WILL attenuate the signal. By how much is a function of the values of the two impedances. If, for example, the two impedances are equal, then you will lose 50% of the signal. If the input impedance is lower than the output impedance, then you will lose MORE than 50%. If the output impedance is lower than the input impedance then you will lose less than 50%. If you get the output impedance to the point where it is 20-50 TIMES lower than the input impedance to which it is connected, then the attenuation is negligible. Hence, this is always the goal for audio interconnect....low output impedance feeds very high input impedance.

Because these are impedances (AC) instead of resistances (DC) that we are talking about, the impact is frequency-dependent. This means that not only will you lose signal. but you will also lost fidelity with a poorly spec'd bridging connection.

Independent of the voltage divider problem, there is also the problem of loading on the output amplifiers of the sending device. EVEN IF the attenuation due to the voltage divider is negligible, it is possible that the receiving device will "load" the outputs of the sending device so heavily that it will reduce the gain of the output amps. This can be especially true if the output of the sending device is not buffered. A high input impedance ALSO reduces the load on the output of the sending device, thus permitting the output amplifiers to operate at their optimal (and highest fidelity) levels.

Thus, when a manufacturer recommends at least a 47k load (input) impedance on the amp, it is a good idea to take the recommendation. It is all about risk - and while it is possible that things will be fine with the input impedance of the receiving device at a lower value, it is MUCH lower risk to comply with the advice as-given.
RichB likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM

^Thank you very much. That is a great explanation of output/input impedances.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

It's either amps clipping or the speakers are under-powered.

The amps' input impedance is 8.3K?

What are those speakers' wattage rating?

The amp is a Rotel RMB-1077. It's input Sensitivity/Impedance: 1.2 V / 8.3 k ohms

The speakers are 4-ohm M&K S-85s (25 Watts min, 200 max)

I've experienced the clipping with certain movies, most recently while watching Amercan Hustle. It's pretty loud, but happens only once or twice during the movie.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

Not the case. "Line level" refers to voltage. And voltage is attenuated by a voltage divider. And the combination off the output impedance with the input impedance creates a voltage divider, which WILL attenuate the signal. By how much is a function of the values of the two impedances. If, for example, the two impedances are equal, then you will lose 50% of the signal. If the input impedance is lower than the output impedance, then you will lose MORE than 50%. If the output impedance is lower than the input impedance then you will lose less than 50%. If you get the output impedance to the point where it is 20-50 TIMES lower than the input impedance to which it is connected, then the attenuation is negligible. Hence, this is always the goal for audio interconnect....low output impedance feeds very high input impedance.

Because these are impedances (AC) instead of resistances (DC) that we are talking about, the impact is frequency-dependent. This means that not only will you lose signal. but you will also lost fidelity with a poorly spec'd bridging connection.

Independent of the voltage divider problem, there is also the problem of loading on the output amplifiers of the sending device. EVEN IF the attenuation due to the voltage divider is negligible, it is possible that the receiving device will "load" the outputs of the sending device so heavily that it will reduce the gain of the output amps. This can be especially true if the output of the sending device is not buffered. A high input impedance ALSO reduces the load on the output of the sending device, thus permitting the output amplifiers to operate at their optimal (and highest fidelity) levels.

Thus, when a manufacturer recommends at least a 47k load (input) impedance on the amp, it is a good idea to take the recommendation. It is all about risk - and while it is possible that things will be fine with the input impedance of the receiving device at a lower value, it is MUCH lower risk to comply with the advice as-given.

Could these factors have anything to do with why my system sounds better running my 105 through my preamp, than straight to the amp? Amp is Ayre V-5xe, input imp of 100k. Preamp is Ayre K-5xe-mp.

Omar
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

I assure you, there's no apparent coloring going on from my preamp. When I run my OPPO straight into my amp, it sounds pretty good. But via the preamp, I have much more dynamic, crisp, clear sound.
Omar

+1. I use Bel Canto pre6 with Oppo105 and prefer to have it in the chain.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The amp is a Rotel RMB-1077. It's input Sensitivity/Impedance: 1.2 V / 8.3 k ohms

The speakers are 4-ohm M&K S-85s (25 Watts min, 200 max)

I've experienced the clipping with certain movies, most recently while watching Amercan Hustle. It's pretty loud, but happens only once or twice during the movie.

Well, I dragged the Onkyo back into service and removed the Rotels. Now I have to reinstall the Lumagen processor between the AVR and the display and recalibrate the video. Can't wait for Oppo to fix the speaker distance bug thing. Then I'll return to Oppo analog and reevaluate the amp.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Well, I dragged the Onkyo back into service and removed the Rotels. Now I have to reinstall the Lumagen processor between the AVR and the display and recalibrate the video. Can't wait for Oppo to fix the speaker distance bug thing. Then I'll return to Oppo analog and reevaluate the amp.
Bob has provided all of us with a temporary workaround for the speaker distance bug. It's as effective as the real fix will be. Did you read his workaround post? Also, with regards to speaker clipping, did you raise any of the 105's trim settings in your Oppo player?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Got the idea from the forum to upgrade my current bluray player in lieu of changing my pre-pro. Currently I am using an Anthem D2v as the pre-pro and have J. River along with EMU 0404 DAC outputed to the D2v. Mainly looking to upgrade to have some of the network music streaming features for my family. I guess my question is how to hook all this up.

From looking at the Oppo it appears as though I would just connect the Oppo RCA outputs to the D2v inputs and basically run everything through the Oppo. For the DAC, just connect the USB from my HTPC and change the video output settings on the D2v to match the HTPC output, while setting the audio in on the D2v to the balanced XLR output from the Oppo.

Does that all sound right or am I missing something?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

my surround amp

Input Sensitivity/Impendance
Surround: All channels 1.1V/30 k-ohm

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 206
cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

Got the idea from the forum to upgrade my current bluray player in lieu of changing my pre-pro. Currently I am using an Anthem D2v as the pre-pro and have J. River along with EMU 0404 DAC outputed to the D2v. Mainly looking to upgrade to have some of the network music streaming features for my family. I guess my question is how to hook all this up.

From looking at the Oppo it appears as though I would just connect the Oppo RCA outputs to the D2v inputs and basically run everything through the Oppo. For the DAC, just connect the USB from my HTPC and change the video output settings on the D2v to match the HTPC output, while setting the audio in on the D2v to the balanced XLR output from the Oppo.

Does that all sound right or am I missing something?
All your digital audio sources will begin at the 105, get converted to analog by the 105's DAC's, and then outputted to your D2v via rca/xlr. There are many options to play digital music from your 105, such as using J River with one of the 105's digital inputs or DLNA via the ethernet connector, via a usb attached hard/flash drive, or from the 105's onscreen browser ( via SMB protocol or as a DLNA media player). Your 105 will be your DAC. It is audiophile quality. Why would you need another DAC?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Since using the 105 as a preamp involves using the analog outputs this isn't really the best time to see if you like it. Wait until the next firmware update fixes the speaker distance bug.

I don't find the distance bug too big of an issue. People sit in different places anyway which throws things off, and distances are usually very similar for the front three channels, where the huge majority of sound comes from. I'm looking forward to the fix but you can already hear the detail, frequency response, and bass quality using current firmware. Especially considering the simple work around I wouldn;t consider the firmware bug to be even a small factor on when to buy.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

^ Here's what I do...see if this helps:
Oppo 105 Analog 5 rca outputs ==> to power amps ==> Speakers
Oppo 105 Analog .1 rca output ==> to subwoofer

I have 3 stereo power amps which is the same as you having a single 5.1 power amp.

You seem to be pleased just using the 105 direct to your amps. May I ask what preamp/processor you used before it and what the sonic benefits are that you have personally experienced getting it out of the chain and letting the Oppo do the job?

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I
Quote:

From looking at the Oppo it appears as though I would just connect the Oppo RCA outputs to the D2v inputs and basically run everything through the Oppo.

I assume one of the reasons you had for buying a D2v was its ARC. To use that with RCA inputs from the Oppo would require the D2V to digitize an analog signal. It would seem better to use HDMI output from the Oppo to the D2v, and let the D2v do the analog processing including ARC.

Quote:

Nothing in my response was rude.

It seemed so to me.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

I
I assume one of the reasons you had for buying a D2v was its ARC. To use that with RCA inputs from the Oppo would require the D2V to digitize an analog signal. It would seem better to use HDMI output from the Oppo to the D2v, and let the D2v do the analog processing including ARC.

That is a good point. That is partly why I asked the question about how exactly to hook things up. For the DAC setup I can just use the balanced 2ch output from the Oppo and send it to the D2v balanced inputs. I would just passthrough the 2ch audio through the D2v, that way the DAC in the Oppo is doing all the work.
audiofan1 likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

That is a good point. That is partly why I asked the question about how exactly to hook things up. For the DAC setup I can just use the balanced 2ch output from the Oppo and send it to the D2v balanced inputs. I would just passthrough the 2ch audio through the D2v, that way the DAC in the Oppo is doing all the work.
The D2V is already an excellent DAC - why do you want to use the analog outputs from the Oppo? IMO, you should save yourself some money and get a BDP-103 or BDP-103D instead and send audio to your D2V digitally and let the D2V work its magic - there's presumably a reason why you spent the money for the D2V to begin with... If you had an otherwise all analog system or a lower quality surround sound processor, it would make sense to use the analog outputs, but not in this case.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post

I don't find the distance bug too big of an issue. People sit in different places anyway which throws things off, and distances are usually very similar for the front three channels, where the huge majority of sound comes from. I'm looking forward to the fix but you can already hear the detail, frequency response, and bass quality using current firmware. Especially considering the simple work around I wouldn;t consider the firmware bug to be even a small factor on when to buy.
Right, it depends on how you use it. I'm the only listener and I always sit in the sweet spot. My rears are about half as close to me as my front 3. This bug is a major deal for me. Applying the workaround opened my eyes as to how much of the proper surround experience I was missing.

Oppo BDP-105 Player

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player