Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 349 - AVS Forum
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
Cafe Latte's Avatar Cafe Latte 06:37 AM 04-30-2014
I copied the superdisc and it works perfectly on the 105d smile.gif I originally came fome the UK so I have a lot of region 2 dvd's so I really wanted a dvd multiregional player and I have tested with a few discs this evening and it works like a charm, very happy smile.gif
I also just watched my first Blu ray with the darbee and it is stunning
I will be doing some more testing in the nest days, but my Cyrus cd8se might be soon for sale....
Regards
Chris

DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 07:50 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post

I'll have a go at answering that. I've got a 2.1 setup with the sub at a different distance to the mains. The bug affects me. The difference in distances between my sub and my mains was only 2' so instead of having the arrival times the same, the sound arrived as if there were a 4' distance. That's only a small amount, roughly 4 milliseconds, and well under the delay required for you to identify the last arrival as an echo. Compared to the way things sound with the workaround distances in place, things sounded slightly more reverberent than they should, and that was it.

So the reason why people haven't noticed it is very likely to be that there really isn't a large enough difference in speaker distances in their setups for them to be able to easily hear a problem, and the actual problem caused is not an immediately obvious one since we're used to hearing sound arrive at slightly different times from different directions anyway in a room simply because of reflections from room surfaces.

Edit: I forgot to mention above that as whilethe sound from the speakers is spread out a bit in time as a result of this bug, what that does is cause the later arrivals to start coming in around the same time, or a bit later, than the earliest reflected sounds from the speakers whose sound arrives first so the later arriving speaker sounds are arriving in the "mix" of reflected sound from the speakers whose sound arrives first. Early reflections usually make a positive contribution to the sound from a speaker and we've got late arriving direct sound getting mixed in with first arriving reflections. That's also going to make it hard to pick a problem unless the differences in distance are sizeable and the listener knows just what to listen for to identify a problem. As I said, I didn't notice a problem but I could hear the difference and appreciate the improvement when I changed my distances to the workaround distances.
Wow! This is quite the elaborate explanation as to why a 10x or 95 owner hadn't come forward sooner to inform us or Oppo that a problem existed with the speaker distance setting. The person who found the bug (me), only has a 2.0 configuration. This bug becomes painfully obvious with only a 3 ft delta distance between my speaker pair. I'm a critical listener of 2-ch audio. I know when I play certain digital audio tracks, which sounds/voices/instruments should be dead center between the field of my speaker pair. It's my feeling that not many 10x owners have different speaker distances set for their front speakers, so the left-right imaging would not have been so painfully obvious as it was to me. And the only reason I skewed my 2-ch distancing was to see what one of our forum members (OmarF), who happens to have a very good ear for audio was trying to convey to us.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:19 AM 04-30-2014
^ The Speaker Distance Adjustment bug has two effects that can be heard. First, it shifts sounds away from their intended position in the surround field. Sounds appearing in a pair of speakers are shifted towards the speaker which is physically closer. The same thing happens WITHOUT distance compensation, but since the bug gets compensation backwards it has the result of doubling the effect.

This does not apply to bass since bass frequencies are not "localizable". (Bass appears to come "from everywhere".) However, Subwoofer Phase is a function of relative distance. So if you set your Sub Phase using some other means (e.g., HDMI Audio with correct distance compensation provided in your AVR) not affected by this bug, and then shifted to Analog output (not processed in the AVR) with buggy distance compensation, the resulting Sub Phase error could produce bass cancellation sufficient to hear.

So why would you NOT hear it? First, most folks have symmetric speaker layout left to right. Meaning for example that LF is the same distance as RF, and Center is very close to the same distance. Similarly the Surround pairs are equidistant left to right. Thus no error from the bug affecting left to right placement. (When a pair of speakers is equidistant, their real compensation and bug compensation are both 0).

So the placement error for these folks would be in front to back placement, and many folks are not sensitive to that. Of course front to back error can only occur with multi-channel content which has sound in the Surrounds. Folks listening in stereo would not be subject to that.

As for Sub Phase, you probably need about 7 feet or more of error to make enough Phase change to hear it. I.E., a real Sub to mains distance difference of 3-4 feet or more which, instead of being corrected, becomes an error distance difference of 6-8 feet or more.

If folks have not adjusted Sub Phase in the first place, it would be purely random whether the error Phase was worse or better.
--Bob
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 09:14 AM 04-30-2014
Just curious, do people who use a pre/pro (and connect via 5.1 analog) make the speaker adjustments (distance and level) in the Oppo or their Pre/pro? I chose to make the speaker adjustments in my pre/pro and leave the Oppo's all at 0. I guess the benefit of doing it in the Oppo would be that it's all done in the digital stage. Now that I really think about it, I'm wondering if the "distance" adjustments in my pre/pro have any affect at all since it's on the 5.1 analog input. I know the levels do have an effect, but not sure about distance. Maybe I've been doing it wrong. I should probably be doing the distance in my Oppo and the level in my pre/pro. I prefer doing the level in my pre/pro as other sources are connected to it as well. I use the Oppo's optical output to my pre/pro for 2-channel music since Oppo can't to PLII.

And could someone point me to the "work around". Way too many posts since this bug was reported.

Thanks!
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:24 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post

Just curious, do people who use a pre/pro (and connect via 5.1 analog) make the speaker adjustments (distance and level) in the Oppo or their Pre/pro? I chose to make the speaker adjustments in my pre/pro and leave the Oppo's all at 0. I guess the benefit of doing it in the Oppo would be that it's all done in the digital stage. Now that I really think about it, I'm wondering if the "distance" adjustments in my pre/pro have any affect at all since it's on the 5.1 analog input. I know the levels do have an effect, but not sure about distance. Maybe I've been doing it wrong. I should probably be doing the distance in my Oppo and the level in my pre/pro. I prefer doing the level in my pre/pro as other sources are connected to it as well. I use the Oppo's optical output to my pre/pro for 2-channel music since Oppo can't to PLII.

And could someone point me to the "work around". Way too many posts since this bug was reported.

Thanks!

Most mid and lower end AVRs do *NOT* provide any processing on multi-channel Analog audio input. In such AVRs the Speaker Distance Adjustments they provide only affect digital audio input (i.e., HDMI Audio) or *STEREO* Analog audio input. Higher end AVRs -- typically ones with things like Room Correction in them -- will offer the option of processing multi-channel Analog audio input, but will also have a "direct" or "pass through" setting which bypasses that. When operating Analog Direct, again, there is no distance adjustment (or Room Correction, or etc.).

The reason is that things like Speaker Distance Adjustment (and Room Correction) are done in the digital domain -- meaning that Analog input (multi-channel or stereo) has to be re-digitized prior to that processing, and then converted BACK to Analog for output after the processing.

The post describing the Speaker Distance Adjustment bug and the Workaround settings is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/10200#post_24634366

--Bob
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 09:38 AM 04-30-2014
Thanks Bob. Guess I had been doing it all wrong. My older McIntosh MX-119 doesn't turn the 5.1 analog signal back to digital. So it wasn't affecting any audio by setting up the distance in it's settings on the 5.1 input. I have to do the distance setting in the Oppo. But the level adjustment works in the analog domain on the MX-119. I'll just wait for Oppo's fix before proceeding.

Thanks again for the clarification and the link to the work around.
FMD's Avatar FMD 10:20 AM 04-30-2014
I am getting quite confused on the impact of this bug on the Stereo Audio Outs (RCA). I mainly listen to 2 CH audio. I have the latest firmware. Mostly at the defaults.

Recently I have noticed the sound when streaming flac's has become more shrill/less full. Definitely seemed something was wrong. I had been going crazy swapping cables, isolation, etc to no avail.

In my situation/setup would this bug have any impact? I know Bob P has mentioned it affects the Analog outs as well but the discussion is always around speaker distance settings (and I have that at the defaults)

Thank in advance for any help.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 10:27 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

In my situation/setup would this bug have any impact?

No, as long as both your speakers are set to the same distance.
There should also be a new firmware released very soon to fix the bug.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 10:40 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:

I am getting quite confused on the impact of this bug on the Stereo Audio Outs (RCA). I mainly listen to 2 CH audio. I have the latest firmware. Mostly at the defaults.

Recently I have noticed the sound when streaming flac's has become more shrill/less full. Definitely seemed something was wrong. I had been going crazy swapping cables, isolation, etc to no avail.

In my situation/setup would this bug have any impact? I know Bob P has mentioned it affects the Analog outs as well but the discussion is always around speaker distance settings (and I have that at the defaults)

Thank in advance for any help.
I listen to my 2-ch system nearly everyday, and have not noticed any changes to my streamed flacs over the current or all previous versions of 105 firmware. What's your usual flac streaming method? Are you using a preamp between your 105 and amp? Are you running fixed volume on the 105?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:42 AM 04-30-2014
FMD,
I doubt that has anything to do with speaker distance.

First set Volume to Variable in Setup and then try lowering Analog output Volume with the buttons on the top of the remote. You may be clipping the input to your pre-amp. If that fixes it, run at a lower output Volume and compensate by raising Volume in your pre-amp.

Next play test tones into each speaker. Put your ear near each driver of each speaker and make sure they are all firing and producing clean sound (compare against the other speakers) -- no signs of torn cones or whatever.

Next try other file types. If the problem is only with some FLAC files they may be faulty files.
--Bob
RickyDeg's Avatar RickyDeg 11:08 AM 04-30-2014
One of the many things that fascinate me about possibly eliminating my processor/preamp and running the 105 direct-to-amp in 5/7.1 is eliminating the HDMI audio jitter issue, and having the shortest possible signal path. How big of an issue jitter is in reality I suppose depends, but many would say it doesn't exactly have a positive impact on audio, which makes sense. If connecting the Oppo direct-to-amp in analog 5/.7.1 then HDMI transmission from one unit to another isn't even part of the equation like today with my Denon transport (apart from feeding the image via HDMI to the display of course). There are some AVR's and processors with jitter reducing technology which I assume would be similar but I can't help liking the idea of not relying on the erratic mess that is HDMI to deliver my audio signal from Blu-ray. The audio from the disc is decoded, d/a-converted and output from the Oppo in a straight path. Sounds great in theory anyway. Can't wait to try this once I finally get the 105 home for testing.
FMD's Avatar FMD 11:12 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

No, as long as both your speakers are set to the same distance.
There should also be a new firmware released very soon to fix the bug.

Thanks Smarty
FMD's Avatar FMD 11:16 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

I listen to my 2-ch system nearly everyday, and have not noticed any changes to my streamed flacs over the current or all previous versions of 105 firmware. What's your usual flac streaming method? Are you using a preamp between your 105 and amp? Are you running fixed volume on the 105?

That is good news I guess -smile.gif

I stream Flac's via a JRiver library. I have a Conrad Johnson Preamp between the Oppo and my CJ power amp. I have not tried going direct yet.

I do have the Oppo set to fixed volume. Sounds like this may be an issue.

I did notice some changes in my system lately but I have also been tweaking the system quite a bit so my ears are a bit burned out.

Thanks Dan
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 11:18 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

One of the many things that fascinate me about possibly eliminating my processor/preamp and running the 105 direct-to-amp in 5/7.1 is eliminating the HDMI audio jitter issue, and having the shortest possible signal path. How big of an issue jitter is in reality I suppose depends, but many would say it doesn't exactly have a positive impact on audio, which makes sense. If connecting the Oppo direct-to-amp in analog 5/.7.1 then HDMI transmission from one unit to another isn't even part of the equation like today with my Denon transport (apart from feeding the image via HDMI to the display of course). There are some AVR's and processors with jitter reducing technology which I assume would be similar but I can't help liking the idea of not relying on the erratic mess that is HDMI to deliver my audio signal from Blu-ray. The audio from the disc is decoded, d/a-converted and output from the Oppo in a straight path. Sounds great in theory anyway. Can't wait to try this once I finally get the 105 home for testing.

NOTE: If you use HDMI Bitstream output for Bitstream tracks, there is no HDMI jitter. (The Bitstream input has to be buffered and decoded in the AVR after arriving.)

Any HDMI-capable AVR which includes user adjustable audio sync delay for HDMI input must also buffer and re-clock the HDMI audio input. If done properly that also means no HDMI jitter even for LPCM streams.
--Bob
FMD's Avatar FMD 11:19 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

FMD,
I doubt that has anything to do with speaker distance.

First set Volume to Variable in Setup and then try lowering Analog output Volume with the buttons on the top of the remote. You may be clipping the input to your pre-amp. If that fixes it, run at a lower output Volume and compensate by raising Volume in your pre-amp.

Next play test tones into each speaker. Put your ear near each driver of each speaker and make sure they are all firing and producing clean sound (compare against the other speakers) -- no signs of torn cones or whatever.

Next try other file types. If the problem is only with some FLAC files they may be faulty files.
--Bob

Thanks for the confirmation Bob. I have a group of songs I am very familiar with and use for testing. It was with that group so it probably isn't the file.

I will give your volume suggestions a try this weekend.
RickyDeg's Avatar RickyDeg 11:21 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:

NOTE: If you use HDMI Bitstream output for Bitstream tracks, there is no HDMI jitter. (The Bitstream input has to be buffered and decoded in the AVR after arriving.)

Any HDMI-capable AVR which includes user adjustable audio sync delay for HDMI input must also buffer and re-clock the HDMI audio input. If done properly that also means no HDMI jitter even for LPCM streams.
--Bob

That's real interesting. Never heard anyone even mention that rolleyes.gif
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 12:45 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

That is good news I guess -smile.gif

I stream Flac's via a JRiver library. I have a Conrad Johnson Preamp between the Oppo and my CJ power amp. I have not tried going direct yet.

I do have the Oppo set to fixed volume. Sounds like this may be an issue.

I did notice some changes in my system lately but I have also been tweaking the system quite a bit so my ears are a bit burned out.

Thanks Dan
FMD, is your CJ preamp a vacuum tube design? If so, your tubes may be the culprit in degrading your overall fidelity.
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 12:47 PM 04-30-2014
Sorry to post this but, as we all know, the search function on AVS leaves a lot to be desired and I cannot read over ten thousand posts to figure this out. I have searched to no avail yet.

I cannot get any bass signal from the OPPO to my sub when I am listening in stereo from the dedicated rca outs. I am currently running down mixed stereo in settings. In 7.1 I have mains set to large and surrounds small with crossover at 60. Do I need to set my L and R speaker to small for the OPPO to send out a 2.1 signal?
David Aiken's Avatar David Aiken 01:33 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Wow! This is quite the elaborate explanation as to why a 10x or 95 owner hadn't come forward sooner to inform us or Oppo that a problem existed with the speaker distance setting. The person who found the bug (me), only has a 2.0 configuration. This bug becomes painfully obvious with only a 3 ft delta distance between my speaker pair. I'm a critical listener of 2-ch audio. I know when I play certain digital audio tracks, which sounds/voices/instruments should be dead center between the field of my speaker pair. It's my feeling that not many 10x owners have different speaker distances set for their front speakers, so the left-right imaging would not have been so painfully obvious as it was to me. And the only reason I skewed my 2-ch distancing was to see what one of our forum members (OmarF), who happens to have a very good ear for audio was trying to convey to us.

Bob's reply on L/R symmetry explains your situation. I suspect the norm for most systems is L/R symmetry.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 01:42 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Sorry to post this but, as we all know, the search function on AVS leaves a lot to be desired and I cannot read over ten thousand posts to figure this out. I have searched to no avail yet.

I cannot get any bass signal from the OPPO to my sub when I am listening in stereo from the dedicated rca outs. I am currently running down mixed stereo in settings. In 7.1 I have mains set to large and surrounds small with crossover at 60. Do I need to set my L and R speaker to small for the OPPO to send out a 2.1 signal?

Yes, you must set speakers to small for them to defer bass to the crossover/sub.
David Aiken's Avatar David Aiken 01:51 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

So the placement error for these folks would be in front to back placement, and many folks are not sensitive to that. Of course front to back error can only occur with multi-channel content which has sound in the Surrounds. Folks listening in stereo would not be subject to that. …

--Bob

Actually I think front/back placement will be quite hard to hear because hearing it requires the same sound to be coming from both a front and a back speaker. Since voices tend to come from the centre or front L or R speakers and aren't included in the rear mix, you're not going to hear it on voices. When it comes to sound coming from the side, say from both a left front and left surround speaker, we're back to a stereo pair situation, just on the side, and though the apparent location will shift it's probably not going to be something you notice shifting a bit forward or back on the side. The big problem may be a sound panning from the front to the rear or vice versa but it's likely to start out wholly in the front or back, so no mix and easily localisable to the front or rear quite correctly, then start moving and it will keep moving in the right direction, it's just the location during movement that may get "funny" but whether you notice that or not may depend on how fast the pan occurs. A jet flying from front to rear usually traverses the sound field quickly so you don't get much time to notice it and might easily miss any errors. Footsteps for someone walking from front to rear or rear to front will move more slowly but even so it may be difficult to pick because it would probably take a sizeable difference in distances to the front and rear speakers to cause a noticeable spatial "distortion" to the apparent location of the sound from step to step and provided the "size" of the steps remains reasonably similar, once again it's likely to be hard to pick up on.

Add to that the fact that we locate position by sound more accurately to the front than to the rear or sides (our ears do face forward) and it's likely to be harder to notice errors in front/back placement than it is to notice left/right errors to the front and there will be no left/right errors in a symmetrical setup.
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 02:17 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Yes, you must set speakers to small for them to defer bass to the crossover/sub.

thanks, I will give it a try tonight. I forgot to mention that I am using Async USB input.
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 03:17 PM 04-30-2014
thanks for the link to the article. Doesn't this mean that the oppo will not output to the subwoofer using the USB input though?

from the article, the last sentence:
Note: Bass management is not available when using the USB DAC input.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 03:30 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

thanks for the link to the article. Doesn't this mean that the oppo will not output to the subwoofer using the USB input though?

from the article, the last sentence:
Note: Bass management is not available when using the USB DAC input.
You don't get bass management if you use the 105's USB DAC input. No crossover, distance, trims.....just straight, 2-ch D-A conversion.
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 03:34 PM 04-30-2014
Release date: April 30, 2014.
Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-75-0430B
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1300 (BDP-103), 7B1300 (BDP-105, BDP-105D, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), MCU15D-01-0930 (BDP-105D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D, 105D)

Special Notice:

1. Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

Release Notes:

1.Fixed a bug in calculating acoustic propagation delay from the "Speaker Distance" parameters of the "Speaker Configuration" setting.
2. Upgraded the Netflix application to the latest version certified for OPPO BDP-10x models. This version features a brand new user interface. It also contains improved adaptive streaming technology which will improve streaming quality for high-speed internet connections. The new Netflix application should help customers who have reported poor streaming quality during peak hours. (On a related note, recently customers reported that Netflix streaming on OPPO players and other streaming devices could become unstable with error message like "not connect to internet". In our experience this issue is not caused by the player or its firmware update. It could be either a server-side problem or an Internet traffic problem. Should this happen to your device, please report the outage to Netflix. Netflix recommends a troubleshooting method of de-activating the device and re-activating it. De-activation can be done from the OPPO player’s setup menu (Setup -> Device Setup -> Netflix -> De-activate). Re-activation can be done by accessing the Netflix application from the Home Menu. In most cases, Netflix service can resume working after a few tries. The new Netflix application in this update contains additional network troubleshooting tool which can be used to test your connection to Netflix servers.)
3. Added the "Digital Concert Hall" application from Berliner Philharmoniker, which provides live and recorded classical music concerts in HD video from leading orchestras all over the world. Removed the "Film Fresh" application which is no longer functional due to the service provider stopping the service.
4. Improved Gapless Playback performance. Resolved issues such as the second track playing twice before moving to the third track, and resolved an issue where the Gracenote information could not be fetched when playing WAV files.
5. Resolved an issue where user settings (Size, Distance, Trim) inside the Speaker Configuration were incorrectly applied to the Headphone Out signal route. We revised the algorithm in this firmware and the Headphone Out signal is no longer affected by the Speaker Configuration changes.
6. Added a safety feature for BDP-103/103D: the "SACD Output" format is set to "PCM" by default. The reason is that the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) used on these two models cannot adjust the volume for DSD signals, so the analog volume level could automatically switch back to 100 when a DSD stream is detected. This safety feature will force the DSD stream to be decoded as a PCM stream before sending it to the DAC, which can help control the volume when loading SACD disc(s).
7. Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default.
8. Resolved an issue of “Reset Factory Defaults” not erasing the user account for the Youtube Leanback application.
9. Resolved an "A/V Sync" related issue where the A/V Sync data was not be automatically applied to the Coaxial and Optical digital audio outputs after the player was powered on.
10. Improved the file sorting algorithm for the media center (the Music, Photo and Movie options on the Home Menu). The player can automatically detect numbers located at the beginning or end of the filenames and sort the files by the numeric value. Albums with numbered tracks will play in the proper order.
11. Extended support for the PCM audio format for up to 24-bit, 352.8 kHz / 384 kHz via the USB DAC IN port (BDP-105D only).
12. Added the timing adjustment for external subtitles. This can be accessed from the "Option" menu -> "Subtitle Adj." -> "Sync." when playing movies from a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
13. A new version of the Windows driver for the USB Audio DAC is available for download here (v2.22). It is compatible with BDP-105, 105D and the upcoming headphone amplifier HA-1. Please uninstall the previous version(s) of the OPPO USB DAC driver from your computer before installing this new one.
Arwen's Avatar Arwen 04:08 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

Basically yes, but as you get more familiar with this stuff you will learn that "the work" is actually broken up into separate tasks, and so the answer is complicated by the fact that some tasks are done in one place, and others in another.

Take audio from a media file for example. Before you can hear that audio the media file format has to be interpreted to extract the audio format. The audio format has to be decoded into a simple form of digital audio. And the digital audio has to be converted into Analog audio (voltages on a wire) which is what your speakers need.

When you play a media file from a USB stick in the 105, the file format interpretation happens in the 105. The audio format decoding (into LPCM) can be done in the 105 or in the sound processor.

To use Analog output from the 105, that decoding *HAS* to happen in the 105. The DACS (Digital to Analog Converters) in the 105 then convert that into Analog audio output.

To use Digital output from the 105, he decoding can happen EITHER in the 105 or your sound processor. But regardless of which you use the result then gets converted into Analog in the sound processor -- using the DACs in the sound processor. The DACs in the 105 are not involved.

Now, when you use Analog output from the 105, your sound processor may offer the ability to do ADDITIONAL processing -- Room Correction for example. But to do that the sound processor first has to re-digitize the Analog audio input, because such processing is done digitally. And then after processing, the processed digital result has to be converted BACK into Analog prior to amplification and playback in your speakers. The DACs in the sound processor have to do that.

Meanwhile the 105 has some types of audio processing that it TOO can do for the Analog outputs. So maybe all the processing you need can be done in the 105, while the audio is still digital, and before it gets converted to Analog for output.

Confused yet? biggrin.gif

I'm really not trying to mess with you here. Simple things really can be done simply. But try to pick up on the the different tasks that are involved as you follow along here, because you will discover that often you have a choice as to which device you use to do each task. Which means you can experiment doing the same thing different ways to see which result you like better.
--Bob

Hi Bob,

It is not confusing, on the contrary. I was trying to understand to make a decision about what to buy. I was doing a lot of readings before your answer. I knew a little but not enough. Now I think that I have a better understanding, thank you. Basically I have two problems. First my surround preamp it is rather old but it has a nice sound. ( I do not care about stereo because I have a separate stereo system, much better then what Oppo can offer me.) The preamp knows only AC3 Dolby, no DTS and no 5.1 analog input. Second I am going to use the USB a lot for movies. However the Oppo is very handy for my DVDs which are part from North America part from Europe and to give me a better picture then my smart TV, I think.

I am in no harry. Now I am fine using my TV but I am looking always for better.

Sam1000's Avatar Sam1000 04:09 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

Yes, you can set up a 2.1 Analog output configuration in the 105 -- even when using the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs.

The trick is to configure the Dedicated L/R jacks to act AS IF they were the normal LF/RF jacks of the multi-channel Analog set. Then you can wire them along with the Subwoofer output of the multi-channel Analog set, establish a Crossover in the 105, and get your 2.1 output while playing 2.0 content.

Here's the writeup from OPPO's Knowledge Base detailing this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

--Bob

If I set my mains as small, would I lose LF signal in the dedicated XLR/RCA ? I have 2 inputs going from Oppo to preamp, 7.1 analog and 2Ch XLR.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 04:17 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

Quote:

Yes, you can set up a 2.1 Analog output configuration in the 105 -- even when using the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs.

The trick is to configure the Dedicated L/R jacks to act AS IF they were the normal LF/RF jacks of the multi-channel Analog set. Then you can wire them along with the Subwoofer output of the multi-channel Analog set, establish a Crossover in the 105, and get your 2.1 output while playing 2.0 content.

Here's the writeup from OPPO's Knowledge Base detailing this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

--Bob

If I set my mains as small, would I lose LF signal in the dedicated XLR/RCA ? I have 2 inputs going from Oppo to preamp, 7.1 analog and 2Ch XLR.

If you set Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO, the setting of LF/RF to SMALL would not alter the output on the Dedicated Stereo XLR jacks. The XLR jacks would continue to get a "Large" signal.

Note that the Dedicated pair and the multi-channel set are both live for output simultaneously. So you need to make sure, for example, that your Sub output is also disabled when you select to listen on the stereo pair. I.e., if you wire the Sub directly from the multi-channel Sub output of the 105 (not going through the input switching of the pre-amp), then the Sub output will carry the signal appropriate for the multi-channel outs -- which could confuse things when you think you are only listening to the Dedicated Stereo outs.

If you set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT then the Dedicated L/R jacks (both RCA and XLR) are configured for use in place of the normal LF/RF jacks of the multi-channel set -- in which case all settings that normally affect LF/RF would also affect the Dedicated pair -- including the choice of SMALL.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 04:33 PM 04-30-2014
The Public Beta 0430B firmware released today for the 10x family of players *FIXES* the Speaker Distance Adjustment bug I detailed earlier.

if you have been using the "Workaround" speaker distances, don't forget to go back to using your "Actual" speaker distances.
--Bob
JazzGuyy's Avatar JazzGuyy 04:41 PM 04-30-2014
I think it's admirable how fast Oppo's engineers responded to this issue. They deserve a round of applause.

It also looks like they gave us a lot of other goodies too. smile.gif
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop