63Likes

post #10621 of 11587 Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
NAIM101,
No, both the Dolby and PCM output options on your cable box are DIGITAL audio. Again, audio on HDMI is always and only Digital. So no DAC is involved in either form of HDMI audio output from the cable box.

You should use the Dolby choice as that will let the box send 5.1 audio to the OPPO. Its PCM choice will only send Stereo (used when connecting it directly to a TV that only understands Stereo).
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 11587 Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got it. Thanks Bob!
post #10623 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

So it wasn't your 105 after all. tongue.gif I know you are quick to blame the 105 for any audio playback problems because you had a mechanical issue with one before, but you've got to unbiasedly look at each of your components, especially your computer. It's loaded with software that can mess up network communications. Maybe one day you'll even move in a direction a lot of us have no regrets, where you won't have to rely on your home pc's to stream your audio to your media player. That will be one less problem you have to encounter in the future.

Dan - Yes I am eating crow. It was not the 105. I do apologize. It has been a little quirky at times, but I know that I would be hard pressed to find another component that streamed Netflix, Pandora, You tube, etc, and connected to my network, and put out really good sound and picture.. And oh yeah, play any kind of disc..
post #10624 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Sheesh! No wonder people are so critical of them. biggrin.gif
--Bob

Yes- You gotta love Microsoft
post #10625 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

I now realize that after doing the same "critical update" was when the same thing happened to me. In my case the problem disappeared after I temporarily disabled my firewall. Once the connection was made between the Oppo SMB and my PC, the SMB re-appeared on the Network menu and even with the firewall now back in place, the SMB is still in place and working properly. You gotta love Microsoft. I also have Norton so you have to wonder...

yes, you have to wonder. I wish they would tell you what these "critical updates" do. Even though I am eating crow, i wanted to come back and post my solution in case anybody else experienced the same type of issue.
post #10626 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 AM

This is an awesome forum by the way. So many knowledgeable folks here. Now I can get back to enjoying my new speakers biggrin.gif
scirica and DanF8500 like this.
post #10627 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

For those that have upgraded to the new beta firmware. Have any of you experienced a shift in the surround and center channel outputs. Before the update my front channels where set to -7. That enabled me to set the center to 0 and the surrounds to -4 and I forget the other. Now I am forced to have the fronts at -10 and the center needs +1. The surrounds are also in the + 1.5 range. But my sub has gone from +3 in the Oppo and less than half on the sub volume control. To now  +5 and 3/4 on the subs volume control. This did not happen when I initially upgraded. But took affect after a factory reset was done when trying to resolve an issue with the Berliner Philharmonic (still does not work). Has anyone else has similar experience. Is there some other setting in the Oppo that may affect this?

I am using a 5.1 setup. With the Oppo as a preamp directly to one amp for fronts one amp for center and one amp for the surrounds. So the amps being at fault would not be possible and they are all independent. Not to mention the sub as independent as well.

James

post #10628 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by James004 View Post

For those that have upgraded to the new beta firmware. Have any of you experienced a shift in the surround and center channel outputs. Before the update my front channels where set to -7. That enabled me to set the center to 0 and the surrounds to -4 and I forget the other. Now I am forced to have the fronts at -10 and the center needs +1. The surrounds are also in the + 1.5 range. But my sub has gone from +3 in the Oppo and less than half on the sub volume control. To now  +5 and 3/4 on the subs volume control. This did not happen when I initially upgraded. But took affect after a factory reset was done when trying to resolve an issue with the Berliner Philharmonic (still does not work). Has anyone else has similar experience. Is there some other setting in the Oppo that may affect this?

I am using a 5.1 setup. With the Oppo as a preamp directly to one amp for fronts one amp for center and one amp for the surrounds. So the amps being at fault would not be possible and they are all independent. Not to mention the sub as independent as well.

James

The new Beta FW fixed a bug in the Speaker Configuration for speaker distances. You may need to remeasure distances and adjust trims accordingly.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #10629 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The Speaker Distance Adjustments affect timing only. They don't alter speaker volumes.
--Bob

post #10630 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^I understand that. But, if the distances aren't set accurately, it could possibly cause cancelation problems because of the phase differences. With that, the speakers won't be working as efficiently as possible.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #10631 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

^I understand that. But, if the distances aren't set accurately, it could possibly cause cancelation problems because of the phase differences. With that, the speakers won't be working as efficiently as possible.
By all means, the distance settings should be set to the correct values, but as Bob said, the distance settings have absolutely no affect on the trim settings. The 2nd half of your statement that I've bolded:

"You may need to remeasure distances and adjust trims accordingly"

is incorrect. You can change the distances to whatever you want without having to adjust trim levels at all.

If the trim levels needed to be changed that dramatically after a reset to factory defaults, something other than distances is at play here.
post #10632 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

James

How old was your PRIOR firmware? Do you remember the version number for it?

How are you checking your levels? Are you using a calibration disc such as AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, or using the 105's built-in test tones?

If you were on the current, Official 0218 firmware prior to this, then try rolling back to it:

1) Download it from the OPPO Support page for install via USB stick

2) After the re-install of 0218, do a Reset of settings

3) Check your speaker levels.

If that fixes the problem, then try a re-install of 0430B -- again, via USB stick, and with a Reset of the player afterwards, and see if the problem returns.

If it does, email your info to OPPO Tech Support and see what they suggest. I've not heard any other reports like this.

Of course the first thing to check is that your speaker configuration is the same under the new firmware, including whether you are using the Dedicated L/R outputs in place of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set. (If your prior firmware was old enough, your prior level settings may have been screwed up by the Stereo Signal setting bug, fixed some time back.)
--Bob

post #10633 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

By all means, the distance settings should be set to the correct values, but as Bob said, the distance settings have absolutely no affect on the trim settings. The 2nd half of your statement that I've bolded:

"You may need to remeasure distances and adjust trims accordingly"

is incorrect. You can change the distances to whatever you want without having to adjust trim levels at all.

If the trim levels needed to be changed that dramatically after a reset to factory defaults, something other than distances is at play here.

I don't come across very well at times. For that, I am sorry. I'll try again.

I'm going to use an exaggerated example. Let's say I am putting a 2.0 system together against a wall. I measure the distance of each speaker and input the data. That distance won't change. The only variable now, in the BDP, is trim. Theoretically, the distances should be the same as the trim level for both speakers, assuming equidistant placement.

I know there are some people out there who have different trim levels for equidistant speakers. But, you can have phase issues that one will try to compensate for with trim levels.

post #10634 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339

So has it been released

My humble Cinema
post #10635 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^ Has What been released?

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #10636 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I don't come across very well at times. For that, I am sorry. I'll try again.

I'm going to use an exaggerated example. Let's say I am putting a 2.0 system together against a wall. I measure the distance of each speaker and input the data. That distance won't change. The only variable now, in the BDP, is trim. Theoretically, the distances should be the same as the trim level for both speakers, assuming equidistant placement.

I know there are some people out there who have different trim levels for equidistant speakers. But, you can have phase issues that one will try to compensate for with trim levels.
If the room is perfectly symmetrical, the trim levels for both speakers would probably be the same, but they certainly wouldn't have the same values as the distances. For example, if the speakers are 10 feet away from the listening position, that most definitely doesn't mean that the trim levels would be set to 10.

Of course in the real world most rooms are not perfectly symmetrical. So even though the distances from both speakers to the listening position might be the same, it doesn't follow that the trim levels will be the same for both speakers. One of the side walls might open up to another room, while the other side wall might just be a solid wall - that will likely result in different trim levels despite the distances being the same.

The distance settings are all about delaying sounds from the closer speakers so that sound will arrive at the listening location at the same time from all speakers. The trim levels are to ensure that the volume level will be the same from all speakers at the listening position. The 2 settings really don't interact with each other as you are suggesting.
post #10637 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

So has it been released

The Kraken?
--Bob

post #10638 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View PostThe Kraken? --Bob

LOL the updated software?

My humble Cinema
post #10639 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I agree that the Speaker Distance Settings don't interact with the Trim settings. However, the current situation is special in that a flaw (speaker distance settings) is being corrected. Anything affecting the sound from the analog outputs needs to be considered for re-evaluation.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #10640 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I plan to wait for the official firmware release, so last night I set my speakers using the workaround. My mains are at 9', surrounds at 6', and a pair of subs at 10.5'. I hadn't noticed a problem with the distance settings. I no longer use a center channel. The effect of the workaround settings wasn't subtle. A DirecTV HD-DVR via HDMI to the 105 was the source while I made the correction. The soundstage seemed to move back and get broader and deeper. I played a 5.1 DTS HD MA Blu-ray of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th and the sense of the ambience of the Vienna concert hall was considerably enhanced. I then played an SACD of Corelli violin sonatas that I knew incorporated a great sense of hall ambience. Wow! I was transported to the audience. By then it was 3 AM and I went to bed. The sense of enhanced ambience remains this morning so it wasn't just late night haze. Thanks, Bob.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #10641 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

LOL the updated software?
I'm still not sure what you are talking about. The only thing I can think of is the latest Oppo firmware update.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #10642 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

I plan to wait for the official firmware release, so last night I set my speakers using the workaround. My mains are at 9', surrounds at 6', and a pair of subs at 10.5'. I hadn't noticed a problem with the distance settings. I no longer use a center channel. The effect of the workaround settings wasn't subtle. A DirecTV HD-DVR via HDMI to the 105 was the source while I made the correction. The soundstage seemed to move back and get broader and deeper. I played a 5.1 DTS HD MA Blu-ray of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th and the sense of the ambience of the Vienna concert hall was considerably enhanced. I then played an SACD of Corelli violin sonatas that I knew incorporated a great sense of hall ambience. Wow! I was transported to the audience. By then it was 3 AM and I went to bed. The sense of enhanced ambience remains this morning so it wasn't just late night haze. Thanks, Bob.

db
You got it man! That's the kind of experience I'm getting too. It is significant.

Edit: You can thank DanF8500 too - he discovered the bug. smile.gif

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #10643 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

I'm still not sure what you are talking about. The only thing I can think of is the latest Oppo firmware update.

When was it release have not fired up my system for a week too much work wink.gif

My humble Cinema
post #10644 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

When was it release have not fired up my system for a week too much work wink.gif
The Beta is out - since Apr 30. You just need to check the Oppo site. They list all this information under Customer Support.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
post #10645 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Reading post #1 in this thread saves time for all of us.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10646 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 171
Just got my 105D. Everything is working fine but I have a question. It asked me about the firmware update, do I wait until the new beta get public or is better to update to BDP10X-70-0218?

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #10647 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

You should definitely, at least update to Official 0218. You could do the update to Public Beta 0430B instead -- or later -- you can roll back to 0218 from that if you find a need. To install 0430B, download it from the OPPO Support page for install via USB stick. You can do that whether or not you install Official 0218 first.

There are links at the top of the first page of this thread which will take you to release notes for the firmware releases.
--Bob

post #10648 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Hi Bob,

I am using the dedicated L/R outputs for the fronts. I was on the current 0218 FW version. I use a RS sound meter and a calibrated Dayton usb mic for setting levels at the MLP. I am using both the AIX calibration disc and the internal test tones. The results are very close if not the same. So I tend to use the internal test tones more often (sub excepted). But I did verify with the AIX disk for this issue. I will do the revert to see if the problem clears. Can I do a save and revert to my settings? Or can that reintroduce the issue?

By the way does saving your settings to USB always produce an error file. Or is that indicative of a problem?

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

How old was your PRIOR firmware? Do you remember the version number for it?

How are you checking your levels? Are you using a calibration disc such as AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, or using the 105's built-in test tones?

If you were on the current, Official 0218 firmware prior to this, then try rolling back to it:

1) Download it from the OPPO Support page for install via USB stick

2) After the re-install of 0218, do a Reset of settings

3) Check your speaker levels.

If that fixes the problem, then try a re-install of 0430B -- again, via USB stick, and with a Reset of the player afterwards, and see if the problem returns.

If it does, email your info to OPPO Tech Support and see what they suggest. I've not heard any other reports like this.

Of course the first thing to check is that your speaker configuration is the same under the new firmware, including whether you are using the Dedicated L/R outputs in place of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set. (If your prior firmware was old enough, your prior level settings may have been screwed up by the Stereo Signal setting bug, fixed some time back.)
--Bob
Quote:

James

post #10649 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Saving settings to an attached USB drive or stick should not produce an error, presuming the drive is formatted in a way that lets the player write to it, such as FAT32.

And yes, you can save and restore settings via the USB stick (assuming you can get it to do it without an error) to simplify the Resets.
--Bob

post #10650 of 11587 Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Bob,

I am talking about a text file named "error" being written to the usb drive. It contains a huge amount of text. For example.

--- 02 May 2014 15:36:18 ---
http://static.tv.digitalconcerthall.com/dchtv/css/720/all2479.css
Linked-in stylesheet
Selector syntax error

Line 234:
  Title,.ja .specialsConcertListHeadline,.ja .specialsDetailTitle,{font-size:20px}
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

--- 02 May 2014 15:36:19 ---
http://tv.digitalconcerthall.com/dchtv/720.html5
DOM style property
Invalid value for property: zoom

Line 1:
  -^

+++ 02 May 2014 15:36:28 +++
http://static.tv.digitalconcerthall.com/dchtv/pong.ping
Cross-origin resource sharing check [response verification]
Access denied, Access-Control-Allow-Origin not included in response.

--- 02 May 2014 15:37:12 ---
Linked-in stylesheet
Selector syntax error

Line 234:
  Title,.ja .specialsConcertListHeadline,.ja .specialsDetailTitle,{font-size:20px}
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

--- 02 May 2014 15:37:13 ---
http://tv.digitalconcerthall.com/dchtv/720.html5
DOM style property
Invalid value for property: zoom

Line 1:
  -^

+++ 02 May 2014 15:39:19 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:39:35 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:39:51 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:40:03 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:40:22 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:40:31 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:40:37 +++

+++ 02 May 2014 15:41:36 +++

--- 02 May 2014 22:10:58 ---
Linked-in stylesheet
Selector syntax error

Line 234:

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page