post #10711 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

If you decide to use the 105 usb dac input, you won't be able to use the 105 crossover/bass management, distance, trims.....and you can only play back 2-ch audio via that input.
Thanks. Exactly what I expected. Play high-resolution 2 channel audio in full by-pass mode all the way from Oppo through McIntosh chain. I do understand that is a definite limitation however.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

And after all that, was the lens even dirty? I believe those cases are designed to be pretty impervious to dust.

Omar

Don't know. That last plate is part of the drive mechanism and bad things will happen if you remove it. It's not worth taking the risk.

No matter how well protected the drive is, the tray can introduce dust. There's bound to be some dust on the lenses after a year or two.
post #10713 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

This is from Oppo:

"Eject the tray and attempt to clear out any debris or obstructions with compressed air.

Use a laser lens cleaner, such as Memorex's OptiDisc, to remove any dust or other obstructions from the lens itself."

See http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/customer-services/troubleshooting/no-disc-errors-1.aspx

I had some playback issues, followed these steps and it worked well.

Best,
James

Thank you James. Those are the best solutions, or course...no one should have to open the drive housing. I wanted to visually inspect the lenses, though.
post #10714 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

This is from Oppo:

"Eject the tray and attempt to clear out any debris or obstructions with compressed air.

Use a laser lens cleaner, such as Memorex's OptiDisc, to remove any dust or other obstructions from the lens itself."

See http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/customer-services/troubleshooting/no-disc-errors-1.aspx

I had some playback issues, followed these steps and it worked well.

Best,
James
Thanks for the info on Memorex's OptiDisc.
Just ordered one, for future use.
post #10715 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Liked: 24
What does eject the tray mean?

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #10716 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Hiro,

As I do not have PS4, it looks like we will have, if nobody else confirms, to swap one or the other!
I am curious by nature and love my 105 so far, then I really do not mind helping!
I'll do the same (kind of) testing with my PS3 today.

PM me and let's hunt the bug!
For what is worth I am living close to Meguro Station, but can move within Tokyo and finally find a purpose to the bag Oppo put in the player's box!

Cheers
Kami
post #10717 of 11296 Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

What does eject the tray mean?

IE, open the CD player like you're going to put a disc in (the tray).

Omar
post #10718 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 12:39 AM

Liked: 24
If opening the tray as though putting in a disc provides access to the lens, then I don't know what I'm looking for because I don't see anything that resembles a lens.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #10719 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

If opening the tray as though putting in a disc provides access to the lens, then I don't know what I'm looking for because I don't see anything that resembles a lens.

db

I don't think you can see the lens from the tray. It's just giving general cleaning instructions. First, clear anything visible from the outside. Then use a lens cleaning disc.

Omar
post #10720 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroWorship View Post

Hello fellow BDP-105 owners and greetings from Tokyo!

Long time lurker and first-time poster here.

Believe it or not, I've read every post on this forum since I got my 105 in January 2013 and it's been incredibly helpful in setting up and getting the most out of the unit.

I've loved the feature set and SQ of the 105 since the moment I got it - aside from the usual minor foibles (hard lock-ups and forced resets etc., which have gotten better with each firmware update) I had no major problems for the first year I had it; in fact, after testing it direct to my power amps for about 6 months I finally took the plunge and sold my Integra DHC-9.9 preamp/processor and decided to keep the Oppo as my source/control unit full time.

Of course, soon after this Murphy's Law went into effect and now I am in a situation in which my system has become unusuable for most of my needs.

In early 2014 (January-ish) I noticed a marked change in behavior of video coming in through the HDMI inputs. I am an avid gamer, so I had my PlayStation 3 hooked up full-time to the Oppo, and used it not only for games but also for streaming services (Netflix, VUDU, etc). Out of the blue, the Oppo began "dropping frames" - that's the only way I can describe it.

Whether in games or when watching video, the image would become "jerky," hitching at regular intervals and losing the smoothness that video should have. It was almost as though not all 60 frames per second of video were being displayed properly.

This made it impossible to use the HDMI input as intended, which consists of 70% of my viewing time on my system (the other 30% being Blu-Ray playback directly from the Oppo which was never affected by this issue).

Now, I know that the first impulse for many of you will be to point out that, because the Oppo processes the video signal to some degree, that I should expect there may be input lag etc. when playing games.

Let me clarify - this is not input lag or other usual timing issues (lip sync etc.) that one would expect from the ordinary process of sending HDMI signals through multiple devices to the display. There are also no flashes or odd colors that would indicate a handshake problem.

This is a degradation of the actual video that makes it appear as though the frame rate is unstable, causing even video played through streaming services to be unwatchable.

The reason I can be sure that this issue is not a function of other settings or components is because, with the EXACT SAME system, for the entire year of 2013 everything functioned perfectly - video streaming and games (I found that, when it worked properly, the Oppo actually never introduced additional input lag when gaming which I was very happy about).

Thinking that perhaps my PlayStation 3 was on its last legs, in February I purchased a brand-new PlayStation 4 as an attempt to remove the first device in the chain from contention as the source of the issue.

Lo and behold, after plugging in the PS4 straight from the box the "frame drop" issue was still occurring - games and streaming video suffered the same issue as before.
Going direct into the display from the PS4 worked fine, indicating that it was indeed the Oppo causing the degradation.

Since nothing else had changed in the system, I contacted Oppo about the problem. They suggested a number of fixes (resetting to default settings, upgrading firmware etc), none of which resolved the problem.

I attempted to troubleshoot it myself using every combination of settings in both the Oppo and PS4, none of which provided a solution.

Oppo's final response regarding my inquiries was thus:

"We see no status update on the issue as it is listed in our bug report database. This does not mean that the engineers have not replicated your issues, it just means that they have not updated the database to reflect any of their observations. So at this time we do not know the status of your issue."

While truthful, this is little consolation to me as my system has remained compromised for the past several months.
I am now running the latest beta firmware (BDP10X-75-0430B) and the issue still persists.

I am getting around the problem by using crude and rudimentary workarounds - an HDMI switcher to switch between Oppo for Blu-Ray and PS4 to feed the display directly, and an optical digital connection from the PS4 to the Oppo for audio.

This situation is not tenable long-term, however.

Since I foolishly got rid of my previous pre-pro after 6 problem-free months with the Oppo, I do not have that solution to fall back on.

After that ridiculously long lead-up, the question to my esteemed fellow forum-goers is this: can anyone think of anything that may be causing this problem that I have missed?

Through simple process of elimination, the only thing I can come up with is that my 105 is somehow defective - that somehow a firmware update or other change caused a bug in how it handles digital video processing.

Since no one else seems to be reporting this, I can only assume it is unique to my individual unit.

I feel the only remaining logical solution is to firmly request a replacement unit (or repair) from Oppo, a solution that so far they have not been willing to propose despite acknowledging that they have no fix for the problem.

Luckily I am still within the warranty period.
I just wanted to get the opinions of the trusted members of this forum before insisting on a hardware replacement from Oppo.
Thank you all for reading this long post and I welcome any suggestions or comments.

Here are details on components used:

VIDEO PATH

PlayStation 4 via HDMI to Oppo rear input (tested front input also, same results)

Oppo BDP-105 out via HDMI out 1, 1080p 4:4:4 (also tested with full default settings reset, same results)

Darblet (removed from chain and re-tested, same results)

Panasonic TH-P65ZT5 (Japanese domestic variant of US TC-P65VT50)

All HDMI cables from Blue Jeans

AUDIO PATH

Oppo BDP-105 direct to amps (front channels via XLR from dedicated stereo outputs, set to "Front Left/Right" in Oppo config)

Adcom GFA-5800 (front 2 channels)

Marantz MA500 THX Monoblock x3 (center and surrounds)

Definitive Technology BP8B (front pair)

DefTech CLR-2002 (center)

DefTech BP2X (surrounds)

DefTech SuperCube III (sub)

All interconnects and speaker cables from Blue Jeans
Hello all..
I have pretty similar problems with picture as Hiro described,except i am using cable box through mine 105d.
I am really frustrated by it....its eu model,so i would really appreciated any help...
Mike
post #10721 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by misko72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroWorship View Post

Hello fellow BDP-105 owners and greetings from Tokyo!

Long time lurker and first-time poster here.

Believe it or not, I've read every post on this forum since I got my 105 in January 2013 and it's been incredibly helpful in setting up and getting the most out of the unit.

I've loved the feature set and SQ of the 105 since the moment I got it - aside from the usual minor foibles (hard lock-ups and forced resets etc., which have gotten better with each firmware update) I had no major problems for the first year I had it; in fact, after testing it direct to my power amps for about 6 months I finally took the plunge and sold my Integra DHC-9.9 preamp/processor and decided to keep the Oppo as my source/control unit full time.

Of course, soon after this Murphy's Law went into effect and now I am in a situation in which my system has become unusuable for most of my needs.

In early 2014 (January-ish) I noticed a marked change in behavior of video coming in through the HDMI inputs. I am an avid gamer, so I had my PlayStation 3 hooked up full-time to the Oppo, and used it not only for games but also for streaming services (Netflix, VUDU, etc). Out of the blue, the Oppo began "dropping frames" - that's the only way I can describe it.

Whether in games or when watching video, the image would become "jerky," hitching at regular intervals and losing the smoothness that video should have. It was almost as though not all 60 frames per second of video were being displayed properly.

This made it impossible to use the HDMI input as intended, which consists of 70% of my viewing time on my system (the other 30% being Blu-Ray playback directly from the Oppo which was never affected by this issue).

Now, I know that the first impulse for many of you will be to point out that, because the Oppo processes the video signal to some degree, that I should expect there may be input lag etc. when playing games.

Let me clarify - this is not input lag or other usual timing issues (lip sync etc.) that one would expect from the ordinary process of sending HDMI signals through multiple devices to the display. There are also no flashes or odd colors that would indicate a handshake problem.

This is a degradation of the actual video that makes it appear as though the frame rate is unstable, causing even video played through streaming services to be unwatchable.

The reason I can be sure that this issue is not a function of other settings or components is because, with the EXACT SAME system, for the entire year of 2013 everything functioned perfectly - video streaming and games (I found that, when it worked properly, the Oppo actually never introduced additional input lag when gaming which I was very happy about).

Thinking that perhaps my PlayStation 3 was on its last legs, in February I purchased a brand-new PlayStation 4 as an attempt to remove the first device in the chain from contention as the source of the issue.

Lo and behold, after plugging in the PS4 straight from the box the "frame drop" issue was still occurring - games and streaming video suffered the same issue as before.
Going direct into the display from the PS4 worked fine, indicating that it was indeed the Oppo causing the degradation.

Since nothing else had changed in the system, I contacted Oppo about the problem. They suggested a number of fixes (resetting to default settings, upgrading firmware etc), none of which resolved the problem.

I attempted to troubleshoot it myself using every combination of settings in both the Oppo and PS4, none of which provided a solution.

Oppo's final response regarding my inquiries was thus:

"We see no status update on the issue as it is listed in our bug report database. This does not mean that the engineers have not replicated your issues, it just means that they have not updated the database to reflect any of their observations. So at this time we do not know the status of your issue."

While truthful, this is little consolation to me as my system has remained compromised for the past several months.
I am now running the latest beta firmware (BDP10X-75-0430B) and the issue still persists.

I am getting around the problem by using crude and rudimentary workarounds - an HDMI switcher to switch between Oppo for Blu-Ray and PS4 to feed the display directly, and an optical digital connection from the PS4 to the Oppo for audio.

This situation is not tenable long-term, however.

Since I foolishly got rid of my previous pre-pro after 6 problem-free months with the Oppo, I do not have that solution to fall back on.

After that ridiculously long lead-up, the question to my esteemed fellow forum-goers is this: can anyone think of anything that may be causing this problem that I have missed?

Through simple process of elimination, the only thing I can come up with is that my 105 is somehow defective - that somehow a firmware update or other change caused a bug in how it handles digital video processing.

Since no one else seems to be reporting this, I can only assume it is unique to my individual unit.

I feel the only remaining logical solution is to firmly request a replacement unit (or repair) from Oppo, a solution that so far they have not been willing to propose despite acknowledging that they have no fix for the problem.

Luckily I am still within the warranty period.
I just wanted to get the opinions of the trusted members of this forum before insisting on a hardware replacement from Oppo.
Thank you all for reading this long post and I welcome any suggestions or comments.

Here are details on components used:

VIDEO PATH

PlayStation 4 via HDMI to Oppo rear input (tested front input also, same results)

Oppo BDP-105 out via HDMI out 1, 1080p 4:4:4 (also tested with full default settings reset, same results)

Darblet (removed from chain and re-tested, same results)

Panasonic TH-P65ZT5 (Japanese domestic variant of US TC-P65VT50)

All HDMI cables from Blue Jeans

AUDIO PATH

Oppo BDP-105 direct to amps (front channels via XLR from dedicated stereo outputs, set to "Front Left/Right" in Oppo config)

Adcom GFA-5800 (front 2 channels)

Marantz MA500 THX Monoblock x3 (center and surrounds)

Definitive Technology BP8B (front pair)

DefTech CLR-2002 (center)

DefTech BP2X (surrounds)

DefTech SuperCube III (sub)

All interconnects and speaker cables from Blue Jeans
Hello all..
I have pretty similar problems with picture as Hiro described,except i am using cable box through mine 105d.
I am really frustrated by it....its eu model,so i would really appreciated any help...
Mike

I had this problem but no more. It has to do with the relationship between the TV and the Oppo.  Set the Oppo to force 1080p24 and turn DVD 24p conversion on. Upscale to the highest resolution your TV can handle (1080p.) Set the Panasonic to handle native 24p. Use the movie default settings on the TV for DVD or Blu Ray discs. Use the standard default settings on the TV for cable boxes. You may have additional settings on the TV that require adjustment. Do not use deep color or any other funky settings that are not default.

post #10722 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misko72 View Post

Hello all..
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring1 View Post

I had this problem but no more. It has to do with the relationship between the TV and the Oppo.  Set the Oppo to force 1080p24 and turn DVD 24p conversion on. Upscale to the highest resolution your TV can handle (1080p.) Set the Panasonic to handle native 24p. Use the movie default settings on the TV for DVD or Blu Ray discs. Use the standard default settings on the TV for cable boxes. You may have additional settings on the TV that require adjustment. Do not use deep color or any other funky settings that are not default.

misko72,

In addition to doing what Sebring1 has suggested, look at my previous post about how I was able to resolve my issues by forcing bitstream audio out on the device connected to the Oppo.

In my case inputting LPCM turned out to be the culprit.

Your milage may vary, but it's worth trying if your cable box can be set to force bitstream audio over HDMI.

post #10723 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Hi Hiro,

As I do not have PS4, it looks like we will have, if nobody else confirms, to swap one or the other!
I am curious by nature and love my 105 so far, then I really do not mind helping!
I'll do the same (kind of) testing with my PS3 today.

PM me and let's hunt the bug!
For what is worth I am living close to Meguro Station, but can move within Tokyo and finally find a purpose to the bag Oppo put in the player's box!

Cheers
Kami

Hi Kami,

Thanks for attempting this with your PS3.

For the sake of the discussion on this forum, did you observe the same issues with multichannel LPCM out on the PS3 as I did?

Just curious.

I'll PM you and we can figure out how to do some local testing.

post #10724 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just switched from HDMI (bitstream) to Optical (bitstream) and it sounds much better through optical.
post #10725 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 775
^ Then something is wrong in your setup. In a proper configuration, Optical Bitstream output can sound just as good as HDMI Bitstream output for some, legacy content, but never better.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10726 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM

FInal update on my issue (for now): I've e-mailed my repro steps to Oppo and they are going to have their engineers attempt to reproduce it.

Bob, do you know if any of the Beta testers have run in to this issue?

Does anyone have a PS4 they could test with?

Just curious if this is unique to my setup.

I've disabled all HDMI audio output from the Oppo to the display, so I don't think this is an issue with audio handshaking beyond the Oppo, although stranger things have happened...

post #10727 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I've not heard that anyone has reproduced this so far. OPPO has the PS3 (and I believe the PS4) in the lab, so they can reproduce your configuration.

I generally test with a 93 feeding the HDMI Input of the 105D and have no problem with 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM input as part of that. I.e., no problem with the video when that's the audio component.

So this may be peculiar to what Sony is doing on its HDMI output. Anyway, your reports are specific enough that OPPO should be able to tackle this pretty quickly.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10728 of 11296 Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ I've not heard that anyone has reproduced this so far. OPPO has the PS3 (and I believe the PS4) in the lab, so they can reproduce your configuration.

I generally test with a 93 feeding the HDMI Input of the 105D and have no problem with 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM input as part of that. I.e., no problem with the video when that's the audio component.

So this may be peculiar to what Sony is doing on its HDMI output. Anyway, your reports are specific enough that OPPO should be able to tackle this pretty quickly.
--Bob

Good to know.

Thank you very much sir!

Please allow me to stress again how helpful these forums have consistently been in setting up and troubleshooting the 105.

I'll update again if I hear back from Oppo.

Until then, maybe I'll post on some audio-related topics. :)

post #10729 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

--Bob

Bob, if this is your setup, I have an interesting challenge for you. I have a 95 running HDMI into my 105D. I find that when I play a 2 channel flac file from the 95, out through the 105D analogue stereo out, that the character of the sound changes when I switch HDMI between LPCM and Bistream. Give it a go, see what you get.

Omar
post #10730 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 AM

Liked: 11
I'd like to be clear about what DSD files the 105 & the 105D play, and if / how the 105 & 105D differ with DSD files.

I have lots of my own DSDIFF files (recorded live musicians, using KORG MR-2 portable recorder). None are currently DSD x2 but the KORG's Audiogate is capable of DSDIFF x2.

So, from a thumb drive or hard drive directly connected via USB - can the 105 & 105D both play all the DSDIFF files? Including DSD128 (x2 double rate) ?

And, from Asynchronous USB, can both 105 & 105D play all the DSDIFF files from a computer?

I currently own the BDP95 and cannot play the DSDIFF files with it. It is one reason I'm interested in a BDP105. I'm not inclined to want the Darbee processing, so I would only get the 105D if it makes a worthwhile difference compared to the 105 in what DSDIFF files I can play. Thanks!
post #10731 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The 105 and 105D can both play SACD discs, and can both play standard rate DSD files from an attached hard drive or over you house network from an SMB (not DLNA) file server. These can be stereo or multi-channel. The limitation to standard rate DSD playback in this fashion is a hardware limitation -- unlikely to change in future firmware.

The 105D can ALSO play standard AND double rate DSD -- stereo ONLY -- that comes in on its Asynchronous USB DAC Input. The 105D can also accept stereo LPCM up to 384KHz on that input, however Input above 192KHz is only available for output on the Analog outputs of the player.

The Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105 can NOT accept DSD input. This is a hardware limitation, and probably won't change in future firmware. The 105 CAN accept stereo LPCM up to 192KHz on that input.
--Bob

post #10732 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 05:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob, if this is your setup, I have an interesting challenge for you. I have a 95 running HDMI into my 105D. I find that when I play a 2 channel flac file from the 95, out through the 105D analogue stereo out, that the character of the sound changes when I switch HDMI between LPCM and Bistream. Give it a go, see what you get.

Omar

Which player are you switching between HDMI LPCM and HDMI Bitstream?
--Bob

post #10733 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Omar

Which player are you switching between HDMI LPCM and HDMI Bitstream?
--Bob

Switching on the 95.
post #10734 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

^ The 105 and 105D can both play SACD discs, and can both play standard rate DSD files from an attached hard drive or over you house network from an SMB (not DLNA) file server. These can be stereo or multi-channel. The limitation to standard rate DSD playback in this fashion is a hardware limitation -- unlikely to change in future firmware.

--Bob
Both the 105/105D can play DSD64 (dsf/dff) files via DLNA. I've been pushing .dsf files to my 105 from two different DLNA servers(JRiver and Synology Media Server) for the past 6 months now. No problems...
post #10735 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It was my understanding that this is something the DLNA servers specifically have to support -- i.e., pushing DSD without transcoding. And that despite a few reports like yours, most people were finding they could not get their DLNA server to do it.

It SHOULD be possible for it to work if the DLNA server supports it, since it is just a file transfer -- same thing as with SMB file shares. But I'd rather list the DLNA restriction as stated, until we get more feedback that it really is working on a variety of DLNA servers.
--Bob

post #10736 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

^ Actually, it was reported by GSR and myself about 4 months ago (posts 9063 and 9066) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9060#post_24328954. Once the dlna server sent the proper mime-types to the 10x(D) players, dsd audio playback via dlna became possible.

You're right...the dsd file is pushed without any transcoding (not DoPe).
post #10737 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Good news!
--Bob

post #10738 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

^ It was my understanding that this is something the DLNA servers specifically have to support -- i.e., pushing DSD without transcoding. And that despite a few reports like yours, most people were finding they could not get their DLNA server to do it.

It SHOULD be possible for it to work if the DLNA server supports it, since it is just a file transfer -- same thing as with SMB file shares. But I'd rather list the DLNA restriction as stated, until we get more feedback that it really is working on a variety of DLNA servers.
--Bob

Yes.  I have been using SMB with the 103/5 but just installed Minimserver on my NAS.  Now, I can also stream DSD via DLNA with it.  As you say, it will depend on the DLNA server.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10739 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

So far, we have confirmation that DSD audio can be streamed to a 10x(D) player via DLNA by 3 different DLNA servers. ...JRiver, Synology, and Minimserver!!
post #10740 of 11296 Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Omar

Nope, I'm not hearing any difference.

I tested with the 93 playing both a stereo 192KHz FLAC and a 5.1 88.2KHz FLAC, both from USB stick. The 93 HDMI 1 output is cabled to the 105D HDMI BACK Input. I configured to listen on the Analog outputs of the 105D.

I switched the 93 between HDMI Audio LPCM and HDMI Audio Bitstream, and except for the brief glitch as the setting change got processed there was no discernible difference in audio quality. I tested with the 105D set both as HDMI Audio OFF and HDMI Audio Bitstream, and that too made no difference.

Note that changing the HDMI Audio setting in the 93 between LPCM and Bitstream should have no effect on what gets sent to the 105D over that HDMI connection. For the first file it should be LPCM 2.0 192KHz either way. For the second file it should be LPCM 5.1 88.2KHz either way, and that too is what I observed (checking with Info on the 105D).

Golden Ears?

Other settings on the 93 are 1080p output, Secondary Audio OFF, Coax/Optical Bitstream, LPCM Rate Limit 192K, SACD Output PCM, HDCD Decoding OFF. The Analog output configuration on the 93 (of course unused in this test) is 2.1 speakers with LF/RF Large. Dynamic Range Control is OFF. Note that on the 93/95 it is recommended that you leave the LPCM Rate Limit at 192K unless you really need a lower rate limit for Coax/Optical output. OPPO has stated there are cases where a lower rate limit can produce lesser audio quality on other outputs.

I also checked a full bit rate WAV file rip of a CD (thus stereo 44.1KHz 16-bit). And once again, switching the 93 between HDMI Audio LPCM and HDMI Audio Bitstream made no difference.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page