Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #10981 of 11418 Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
No. The decoders were not designed to run at clock rates needed to process 4K media. So I would not bother upgrading the BDP-105 to a BDP-105D if you are just looking for 4K output. 60Hz versus 24Hz is only important for things like cable/satellite boxes, but not important for Blu-rays and DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 11418 Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Since there is yet no published standard for 4K Blu-Ray, there is no way to answer your question. I would doubt whether any current player will be able to play the discs though since what information exists today indicates they will probably be 4-layer discs which will require new lasers and other components to read. There will probably also be requirements for handling new video codecs and possibly audio ones. A lot more computer power will almost assuredly be needed.

post #10983 of 11418 Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

No. The decoders were not designed to run at clock rates needed to process 4K media. So I would not bother upgrading the BDP-105 to a BDP-105D if you are just looking for 4K output. 60Hz versus 24Hz is only important for things like cable/satellite boxes, but not important for Blu-rays and DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Since there is yet no published standard for 4K Blu-Ray, there is no way to answer your question. I would doubt whether any current player will be able to play the discs though since what information exists today indicates they will probably be 4-layer discs which will require new lasers and other components to read. There will probably also be requirements for handling new video codecs and possibly audio ones. A lot more computer power will almost assuredly be needed.

Thank you for the responses - answered my question.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #10984 of 11418 Old 06-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^Another factor to consider about 4K when it really comes is the colour standards, things like deep colour and the other larger colour space options that get talked about from time to time. I understand there is still no agreement about what standards are going to apply there but I think it's a given that it will be different to the current standards for BD and DVD. Not only do we probably not have players equipped to handle that aspect but it's possible that many of the current crop of 4K displays may not be able to handle whatever colour standard is finally agreed. It's a given that we will need to buy new players but we're also likely to need new displays to go with the new players.
Ahzari likes this.
post #10985 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

105 is going crazy. I'm setting up a 7.1 Magnepan system and I've been testing many amps and I've had a few mishaps with wiring. The 105 stopped playing CD's. I checked all the settings. You could see the CD playing but no analog sound. Finally I tried resetting to factory settings. Now, the CD's will play but the volume on everything is full with no adjustment from the remote. I put the newest firmware on a USB and told Oppo to reinstall. Reinstall successful but still full volume. This is so loud it will blow speakers. I imediately hit stop. It's the same with SACD or CD.

post #10986 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post

105 is going crazy. I'm setting up a 7.1 Magnepan system and I've been testing many amps and I've had a few mishaps with wiring. The 105 stopped playing CD's. I checked all the settings. You could see the CD playing but no analog sound. Finally I tried resetting to factory settings. Now, the CD's will play but the volume on everything is full with no adjustment from the remote. I put the newest firmware on a USB and told Oppo to reinstall. Reinstall successful but still full volume. This is so loud it will blow speakers. I imediately hit stop. It's the same with SACD or CD.

Become very familiar with these settings under Setup -> Audio Processing:

• Output Volume [ Variable | Fixed ]
  • Power On Volume [ Last | 0--100 ]
  • Maximum Volume [ 0--100 ]

The factory reset put volume back to fixed, which is 100%. You want it variable, with the other values set according to your preference.

You can save and restore all your settings to a USB stick to make this sort of factory reset less painful. See Setup -> Device Setup -> Settings Management.

-Bill
oneartist likes this.
post #10987 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your help Bill. I'm retired and my memory has turned into Flash Memory - here and gone in a flash. I appreciate a little help with my audio efforts.

The "Power On Vol" menu only list "0 or Last". There is no "0-100" choice. I set: "Variable" for Output Vol, "0" for Power On Vol and "0" for Maximum Vol. I restarted and the settings remained the same, but the Vol is still 100%.

post #10988 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ Volume 0 is implemented as Mute

Select the numeric value (0 in your example), and you can use the Arrow keys to change that to a different number. Use that to set, say, Max Volume 50 and Power ON Volume 25 and see if that works for you.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10989 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Volume 0 is implemented as Mute

Select the numeric value (0 in your example), and you can use the Arrow keys to change that to a different number. Use that to set, say, Max Volume 50 and Power ON Volume 25 and see if that works for you.
--Bob

This is a little better - no 100% Vol. I set Max Volume to 50 but the only options for Power On are "0" or Last.  Now there is no sound.

post #10990 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

In Power On Volume, highlight the line with the "0" in it and press Enter.

A Volume adjustment slider will appear at the bottom of the screen. While that is showing (it "times out" if you don't do anything for a while) use Left/Right Arrow to set the actual Power On Volume you want and press Enter again to set that.

There are also Volume +/- buttons on the top of the remote, next to Mute, that you can use to adjust the Volume after power up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10991 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Due to impatience, I kept playing around. I reset Factory Defaults again and got a Power on Vol of 40. Now I'm back to full Vol. I highlighted Power on Vol and was able to change it to 50, but still full "blown" volume - bad joke. 

Now, if I try to upgrade firmware using usb, I get a message: "Cannot find valid firmware upgrade file!" The firmware entered on my screen is: "BDP 10X-75-0515" 

post #10992 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ As explained above, the Reset changes the Analog Output to *FIXED*. You need to change that back to VARIABLE after the Reset for your volume limit settings to apply.

The firmware you have loaded now is the latest firmware. What firmware are you trying to install from USB? You can't go backwards to an earlier version. However you CAN reinstall the 0515 version. The instructions for doing the USB install are found on the OPPO Support page for the 105.
--Bob

post #10993 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 PM

I will agree with Oppo's statement reguarding resetting to  factory settings. " You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed." I'm experiencing stability issues and I would sure like a little stability now.

post #10994 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

^ As explained above, the Reset changes the Analog Output to *FIXED*. You need to change that back to VARIABLE 
--Bob

I have:

Output Volume  Variable

Power On Volume   30

Maximum Volume   46

Still full volume. I tried reinstalling 0515 under firmware upgrade using usb, but I got a message that "cannot find valid firmware upgrade file!" I'll go back and look for more help on Oppos stite for reinstalling 0515.

post #10995 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Are you sure you are listening to the ANALOG audio outputs of the 105? Volume control (other than Mute) doesn't apply to the Digital audio outputs such as HDMI Audio.

Check that the file on your USB stick is the single ".bin" file with the firmware. See the instructions.

Unlike the older OPPO players, you do NOT UnZip that file. You put it on the USB stick just as it downloads from the OPPO support page.
--Bob
oneartist likes this.

post #10996 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received and set up a 105 today and have a few questions. First, here's my set up:
- 105 to HDTV via HDMI (cable TV)
- TV to 105 via Toslink
- 105 to powered speakers via RCA unbalanced cables (Quad 12 actives)

Questions:
- Are the LF/RF or Sterero outputs better to use sonically? I will experiment eventually, but for starts wondered what Oppo recommends and users have found.

- In playing a video off a USB stick, where do I set Info so that it shows the video title too?

- In playing a downloaded video off a USB stick, I noticed Info shows it playing DTS/Dolby. I thought I didn't choose Dolby/DTS in Setup. Where might I have missed it?

- There look to have been some changes in menus since the last manual, probably with the latest firmware release. Are they documented anywhere?

One thing I really like is that music can be played continuously w/o the TV or cable box being on. Great for burning in components.
Thanks,
post #10997 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

^ Are you sure you are listening to the ANALOG audio outputs 
--Bob

Good call. The HDMI setting was set to "Auto", probably by the factory defaults. Yesterday, an old movie format had no audio from analog outs. We cranked up the TV volume to listen to it and forgot to turn it down. Later, this TV volume looped back into Oppo and came out the analog outs. I lost one tweeter on an old Canton speaker. Your comment caused me to remember the TV vol. Thanks so much.

post #10998 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post

- In playing a video off a USB stick, where do I set Info so that it shows the video title too?

You can only see the name in the file browser. With the Option button, Video Info will consult online Gracenote based on the file name, but results are sometimes comically wrong.
Quote:
- In playing a downloaded video off a USB stick, I noticed Info shows it playing DTS/Dolby. I thought I didn't choose Dolby/DTS in Setup. Where might I have missed it?

Setup where? I don't think the player has anything like that. Do you mean a selected audio track in the file?

Info as in the player's On Screen Display? Is this input or output encoding? The OSD shows input normally; use PAGE DOWN to show output.
Quote:
- There look to have been some changes in menus since the last manual, probably with the latest firmware release. Are they documented anywhere?

Check the first post in this thread for firmware update notes. Also see if OPPO has an updated online manual on their support page.
-Bill
post #10999 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Just received and set up a 105 today and have a few questions. First, here's my set up:
- 105 to HDTV via HDMI (cable TV)
- TV to 105 via Toslink
- 105 to powered speakers via RCA unbalanced cables (Quad 12 actives)

Questions:
- Are the LF/RF or Sterero outputs better to use sonically? I will experiment eventually, but for starts wondered what Oppo recommends and users have found.

One thing I really like is that music can be played continuously w/o the TV or cable box being on. Great for burning in components.
Thanks,

I don't understand your setup. Go from source to load. Cable TV box to 105? If that's the case, optical only carries DD5.1.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #11000 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I don't understand your setup. Go from source to load. Cable TV box to 105? If that's the case, optical only carries DD5.1.

Cable box to TV HDMI port 2 (port 1 is inoperable)
105 HDMI output to TV HDMI port 3
TV Toslink output to 105 optical input
105 RCA LF/RF audio outputs to powered speakers

Question re the latter is what is Oppo's recommendation and users' experience with LF/RF vs Stereo outputs?
post #11001 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The recommendation is to use the Dedicated Stereo Outputs.

For multi-channel Analog, if you don't ALSO need the Dedicated Stereo Outputs wired separately for some other purpose, you can use them in lieu of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set. To do this, set Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. If you DO need them wired separately from the multi-channel hookup, set Stereo Signal = DOWN-MIXED STEREO. See the Manual.
--Bob

post #11002 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Cable box to TV HDMI port 2 (port 1 is inoperable)
105 HDMI output to TV HDMI port 3
TV Toslink output to 105 optical input
105 RCA LF/RF audio outputs to powered speakers

Question re the latter is what is Oppo's recommendation and users' experience with LF/RF vs Stereo outputs?

You talking about the Dedicated Stereo outputs versus the Multi-channel outputs for LF/RF speakers?

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #11003 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can only see the name in the file browser. With the Option button, Video Info will consult online Gracenote based on the file name, but results are sometimes comically wrong.
Setup where? I don't think the player has anything like that. Do you mean a selected audio track in the file?

Info as in the player's On Screen Display? Is this input or output encoding? The OSD shows input normally; use PAGE DOWN to show output.
Check the first post in this thread for firmware update notes. Also see if OPPO has and updated online manual on their support page.-Bill

I'm referring to playing, say, an .avi file being played via a USB stick. When I press Info on the remote, it puts up a bunch of information but not the file name. Is there an option somewhere for that? And in a video I happened to play, when I had pressed Info on the remote, it showed DTS/Dolby down on the bottom. I was wondering if I had missed a setting while going through the 105's Setup Menu. I don't want DTS/Dolby.

Yes, the posted manual is version 1.8, vs. 1.6 in the box. I'll have to compare. The firmware notes are descriptive not instructional. Thanks,
post #11004 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

You talking about the Dedicated Stereo outputs versus the Multi-channel outputs for LF/RF speakers?
Yes, two-channel stereo can be run from either Dedicated or Multi-Channel (p. 16, 18). According to the manual, with LF/RF connection Down Mix Mode has to be set to stereo, which I did. My question is has anyone noticed a difference in sound?
post #11005 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I'm referring to playing, say, an .avi file being played via a USB stick. When I press Info on the remote, it puts up a bunch of information but not the file name. Is there an option somewhere for that?

No.
Quote:
And in a video I happened to play, when I had pressed Info on the remote, it showed DTS/Dolby down on the bottom. I was wondering if I had missed a setting while going through the 105's Setup Menu. I don't want DTS/Dolby.

That's the codec inside the file you are playing. The player is just reporting it. With PAGE DOWN the bottom line toggles to show what the player is outputting. If you have HDMI audio set to LPCM the audio codecs are converted.

-Bill
post #11006 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM

I've just come across an unexpected and very unhappy behavior, so hopefully I'm missing something big. In my previous system (up until earlier today), I used a separate dac and media box, along with a TV and powered speakers. I would switch between the TV and media box (USB flash drive plugged in) via the TV's remote control. That part is still the same with the 105. What's different is the switch is not fully sensed by the 105, as it was before (and quickly so). Now, each time I switch between TV and 105 I'm having to start again and reset the input manually, which takes time. To give a common example here, if I'm watching a video via USB stick and decide to pause and go back to the TV for awhile, I have to stop and reset the input manually to optical, rather than the 105 sensing it.. Then if I want to switch back to the video I was watching on the 105, it's not there! I have to start all over again: Input, Home, media type, USB input recognized, and finally choose the video file. The only thing that picks up from where it was is the video (via an option on screen).

Am I missing something in terms of settings? I hope so, because I've used $14 standalone dacs that handle switching between sources better than this. Thanks,
post #11007 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nope, that's the way it works. The difference of course is that the OPPO is not "just" the DAC. It is also the media player.

When you switch inputs like this it shuts down the media player so it can do the other job.

There's also no auto-sensing, although I'm not sure how that can work since typically the HDMI Inputs, if connected, will be live as well.

You can speed up the transition with a programmable remote. Send Input and a digit, and the digit line of the Input list will be selected.
--Bob

post #11008 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the best place to pick up the AIX Audio Calibration Blu-ray disk?

Here in Oz the local support people only have the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark 3D Disc - Second Edition. Don't know if this is any good?
post #11009 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:

^ Nope, that's the way it works. The difference of course is that the OPPO is not "just" the DAC. It is also the media player.

When you switch inputs like this it shuts down the media player so it can do the other job.

There's also no auto-sensing, although I'm not sure how that can work since typically the HDMI Inputs, if connected, will be live as well.

You can speed up the transition with a programmable remote. Send Input and a digit, and the digit line of the Input list will be selected.
--Bob
I'll have to look at the latter. Are you referring to something like my TV remote, which is programmable I believe? I don't know electronics well, but am not clear why sensing couldn't be done, since the difference between separates and the 105 is basically location (the separate media box outputs to the TV via HDMI and the dac is fed via Toslink). That $14 dac I mentioned (FiiO), which switches slowly but well enough, is less than 2" square and 3/4" tall. With the effort Oppo put into a dac with the latest Sabre chip, I would have thought that integrating functions better would have been a priority.

In the meantime, another issue: using TV, video and audio (voices) are out of sync anywhere from quite noticeable (1/4 second?) to a full word. On USB videos, it's closer but still just noticeable. Switching to a standalone dac (Emotiva Stealth), they are in sync (or as close as one is going to get using speakers). Is there anyway to compensate for this in Settings? I played with changing distance (LF/RF), but that had minimal, if any, effect.
post #11010 of 11418 Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When I downloaded the new firmware via our home network, it came up with all the previous settings and seems to work fine. But if I want to reset to factory settings how do I do that. I've done it with past downloads, but don't seem to find the command or remember how to do it now. Yeah, I'm 78 and in the 22nd year of retirement with occasional senior moments, so please help.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP & Oppo BDP-105
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page