post #11071 of 11522 Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
They now have the ability now to time-align the subs to the mains?
They have "correct" Speaker Distance Adjustment compensation on the Analog outputs.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11522 Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
That's what I know as well .... but since Neuromancer suggested i correct my sig which addresses phase aligning the sub with the mains, I was a little confused by what he meant. No biggie

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #11073 of 11522 Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I just hope AVS improved the search function with this last update. That was always one of the most frustrating things about this site to me.
It sure would be nice if we could minimize or narrow that GIANT banner bar on the right.

You can get rid of the side bar by going into,, User CP ( top of page right side ) under Your profile, Edit your details, Additional Info, click Disable sidebar.
carapau and woof07 like this.
post #11074 of 11522 Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi fellow members, I just set up my Oppo 105 a couple days ago and realized how many features this player has. I read through the manual and even read past forum post to see find answers that still puzzle me. I can't seem to find the exact answer I am looking for so here goes. I have a Marantz av8801 that I have connect via HDMI and I have an Ayre preamp that I have connected with XLR. So I have read some past posts where some say use rca with audio processing left/right. I am utterly still confused which is the best setting for 2 channel listening. Any recommendations how I should have my set up? XLR or RCA and Down-mix Stereo or Left/Right? I do remember when I had my Sony blu-ray I had the same feature as far as down-mixing stereo or left/right which I can change while listening to music and I noticed the down-mix stereo sound better and wider sound stage. Also, what volume are you setting it when listening to music on the Oppo? Is there a setting where I can bypass the volume control so my preamp can control the volume only? I would appreciate any feedback, thank you!
post #11075 of 11522 Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There are 2 sets of analog outs on the 105, a dedicated set of stereo outs with XLR and RCA sockets, and a set of 7.1 multichannel sockets which are RCA only. The stereo set uses a different DAC to the multichannel set and you will get better quality analog audio from the dedicated stereo set. RCA vs analog? Depends a bit on your preamp so try both.

Both sets of outputs are active at all times so you can send analog multi-channel audio to your AVR and stereo analog audio to your pre-amp if you wish. You can also send digital audio to your AVR via HDMI so you can go pretty much any way you like. The main issue in choosing what you're going to do with down-mixing for the stereo set of outlets is whether you only ever listen to a single pair of stereo speakers with those outputs, no sub and no other speakers. You can send the multi-channel front left and right signals to the stereo pair if you like and get better quality processing for those signals if you want to run a 2.1 setup or, say, a 4.0 or 4.1 setup without a centre channel. Alternatively you can simply send a down mixed stereo signal to them for a "pure stereo" output. How you go about things depends on what you want to do.

Either way there's another setting which switches between fixed and variable output. The fixed output option disables the Oppo's analog volume control so your preamp would then control volume. Digital audio output via HDMI is unaffected by the Oppo's volume control though I think the Oppo's mute control still works with digital audio output. If you choose the fixed volume output you don't get a choice as to what level output the Oppo puts out.

So, if you're only using the Ayre for stereo with no sub or other speakers involved, set the output to fixed and choose down-mixed stereo rather than front left/right for the output from the dedicated stereo outputs.
post #11076 of 11522 Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I just hope AVS improved the search function with this last update. That was always one of the most frustrating things about this site to me.
It sure would be nice if we could minimize or narrow that GIANT banner bar on the right.

You can get rid of the side bar by going into,, User CP ( top of page right side ) under Your profile, Edit your details, Additional Info, click Disable sidebar.

Donloz - Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is so much better now.
post #11077 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
There are 2 sets of analog outs on the 105, a dedicated set of stereo outs with XLR and RCA sockets, and a set of 7.1 multichannel sockets which are RCA only. The stereo set uses a different DAC to the multichannel set and you will get better quality analog audio from the dedicated stereo set. RCA vs analog? Depends a bit on your preamp so try both.

Both sets of outputs are active at all times so you can send analog multi-channel audio to your AVR and stereo analog audio to your pre-amp if you wish. You can also send digital audio to your AVR via HDMI so you can go pretty much any way you like. The main issue in choosing what you're going to do with down-mixing for the stereo set of outlets is whether you only ever listen to a single pair of stereo speakers with those outputs, no sub and no other speakers. You can send the multi-channel front left and right signals to the stereo pair if you like and get better quality processing for those signals if you want to run a 2.1 setup or, say, a 4.0 or 4.1 setup without a centre channel. Alternatively you can simply send a down mixed stereo signal to them for a "pure stereo" output. How you go about things depends on what you want to do.

Either way there's another setting which switches between fixed and variable output. The fixed output option disables the Oppo's analog volume control so your preamp would then control volume. Digital audio output via HDMI is unaffected by the Oppo's volume control though I think the Oppo's mute control still works with digital audio output. If you choose the fixed volume output you don't get a choice as to what level output the Oppo puts out.

So, if you're only using the Ayre for stereo with no sub or other speakers involved, set the output to fixed and choose down-mixed stereo rather than front left/right for the output from the dedicated stereo outputs.
Thank you so much. So if I understood correctly, use the dedicated stereo output xlr or rca for 2 channel listening with down-mixing stereo? I will not be using a sub. Just 2 channel for stereo listening. Should I choose xlr or rca when connecting to my preamp?
post #11078 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post

Thank you so much. So if I understood correctly, use the dedicated stereo output xlr or rca for 2 channel listening with down-mixing stereo? I will not be using a sub. Just 2 channel for stereo listening. Should I choose xlr or rca when connecting to my preamp?
Ayre equipment tends to sound better using the balanced XLR path; the internal circuitry in Ayre is designed around a balanced pathway. That Ayre sounds better running balanced, is confirmed in the Ayre manual that comes with your preamp, and in all the reviews I read of my Ayre preamp and amp before buying.

Alternately, you may want to try bypassing the Ayre, and running right to your amp from the OPPO and see if it sounds better for you, many here find their system sounds better bypassing their preamp entirely. Results may vary depending on the amp you're using. If the amp's input impedance is greater than 47 Kohms, you're safe to try running straight from the OPPO, using it's Variable volume control as your preamp volume control. Definitely set your OPPO volume level around 30-40 before you do the bypass--don't want to blow a driver or three.

Omar
keikihula likes this.

Last edited by OmarF; 06-15-2014 at 05:39 AM.
post #11079 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hy everyone, I have an Oppo 103, and yesterday I tried the program bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip to be able to see fullblurays with their menus, and it works great, so I told a friend of mine that has an Oppo 105 about it, but he has a MAC instead of PC, and he would like to know if there is a version campatible with MAC.

Also, I have to mention that I use external hard drives conected by USB, but he is conected by network to his PC, and I dont know if there is a limitation with this kind of conection.

Thanks for the help, and greetings from Spain.
keikihula likes this.
post #11080 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post
Ayre equipment tends to sound better using the balanced XLR path; the internal circuitry in Ayre is designed around a balanced pathway. That Ayre sounds better running balanced, is confirmed in the Ayre manual that comes with your preamp, and in all the reviews I read of my Ayre preamp and amp before buying.

Alternately, you may want to try bypassing the Ayre, and running right to your amp from the OPPO and see if it sounds better for you, many here find their system sounds better bypassing their preamp entirely. Results may vary depending on the amp you're using. If the amp's input impedance is greater than 47 Kohms, you're safe to try running straight from the OPPO, using it's Variable volume control as your preamp volume control. Definitely set your OPPO volume level around 30-40 before you do the bypass--don't want to blow a driver or three.

Omar
I have dual JC-1s and dual Bel Canto REF-500m I go back and forth with. I will give that a try. But I was a little confused with the statement made earlier by another member. Is it true the dac on the individual 7 channel rca are better? Or did he mean the dedicated 2 channel dacs are superior?
post #11081 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

No... RCA and XLR both use the same ESS 8-channel DAC. The XLR combined to use 2 DAC output per Left or Right channel. In theory, this produces 6dB better noise specs than using 1 dac output per channel. The RCA uses 1 DAC output per channel.

As for sound differences between the channels...wrong! Oppo says the same thing as well. You'd be really hard pressed to tell the difference between the two when connected direct to a power amplifier.

Maybe those who claim to hear differences between RCA and XLR must be listening to their pre-amps or circuit differences between the RCA and XLR inputs of their amplifiers where there's a 6dB difference between the two type of inputs and leveled if designed correctly.

post #11082 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I plan on using the 105 as a pre/pro directly to my amps and having all the surround sound settings, crossover points, distance settings, channel levels set through the Oppo. Would I be able to use the balanced outputs from the stereo out portion of the Oppo or would I have to use the SE outputs from the surround sound portion for all the speakers?
post #11083 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You can use the XLR outputs in conjunction with the RCA outputs if you'd like, but don't forget to check your speaker levels. The XLR outputs, by design, are +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs.

I do NOT recommend you use the XLR outputs into RCA inputs of an Amp (i.e., via an adapter).

In a normal home theater setup, using RCA with decent, shielded cabling will give you the same results as using XLR.
--Bob

post #11084 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ You can use the XLR outputs in conjunction with the RCA outputs if you'd like, but don't forget to check your speaker levels. The XLR outputs, by design, are +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs.

I do NOT recommend you use the XLR outputs into RCA inputs of an Amp (i.e., via an adapter).

In a normal home theater setup, using RCA with decent, shielded cabling will give you the same results as using XLR.
--Bob
Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on using an XLR to RCA adapter. Is the board for the stereo output different than the board for the surround output? I was under the impression that the 105 has a pair of Sabre dac's, one for stereo, one for surround. How would the SQ be affected if I don't use the SE outputs from the surround section and the XLR from the stereo section. The amp I'm using is not fully balanced and the cable run is quite short so i'm not too concerned about the advantages of XLR. I just happen to have the right length of XLR for the run so it's more convenient and it could possibly be advantageous to use the pair of Dac's instead of the single?
post #11085 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

First off, I think you may be confused about what content is present on those XLR outputs.

The Dedicated Stereo Outputs -- both the XLR pair and the RCA pair -- can be configured to operate independently of the multi-channel Analog RCA outputs or as PART OF the multi-channel cabling.

To use them independently set Stereo Signal = DOWN-MIXED STEREO. To use them as PART OF the multi-channel cabling, set Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Set that way, the Dedicated Stereo pairs (both of them) will carry the same content as would normally be found on the LF/RF pair of the multi-channel set. They will respond to all the settings that normally affect the LF/RF pair.

The Rule of Thumb is that if you don't need to wire the Dedicated pair separately (e.g., to drive a separate stereo system, such as, perhaps, an external headphones amp), then you SHOULD wire them in lieu of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set.
--Bob

post #11086 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First off, I think you may be confused about what content is present on those XLR outputs.

The Dedicated Stereo Outputs -- both the XLR pair and the RCA pair -- can be configured to operate independently of the multi-channel Analog RCA outputs or as PART OF the multi-channel cabling.

To use them independently set Stereo Signal = DOWN-MIXED STEREO. To use them as PART OF the multi-channel cabling, set Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Set that way, the Dedicated Stereo pairs (both of them) will carry the same content as would normally be found on the LF/RF pair of the multi-channel set. They will respond to all the settings that normally affect the LF/RF pair.

The Rule of Thumb is that if you don't need to wire the Dedicated pair separately (e.g., to drive a separate stereo system, such as, perhaps, an external headphones amp), then you SHOULD wire them in lieu of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set.
--Bob
Thank you for the clarification.

From my understanding, the Oppo usings one of Sabre chip's for the multichannel output and one for its stereo output. I am under the assumption that by using its stereo output and multichannel output, you are utilizing both chips. Then my question would be, is it advantageous or detrimental to use the stereo and multichannel outputs or would it make no difference?
post #11087 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No... RCA and XLR both use the same ESS 8-channel DAC. The XLR combined to use 2 DAC output per Left or Right channel. In theory, this produces 6dB better noise specs than using 1 dac output per channel. The RCA uses 1 DAC output per channel.

As for sound differences between the channels...wrong! Oppo says the same thing as well. You'd be really hard pressed to tell the difference between the two when connected direct to a power amplifier.

Maybe those who claim to hear differences between RCA and XLR must be listening to their pre-amps or circuit differences between the RCA and XLR inputs of their amplifiers where there's a 6dB difference between the two type of inputs and leveled if designed correctly.
The other guy might have been referring to the dedicated 2ch or even if not there are variables that can come into play that will make one cable type sound different, such as the device being connected and the cable qualities. My 105 hooked directly to a 3BST sounds better on balanced with bryston cables than it does on rca using monoprice's best cables.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #11088 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
Quote:

--Bob

From my understanding, the Oppo usings one of Sabre chip's for the multichannel output and one for its stereo output. I am under the assumption that by using its stereo output and multichannel output, you are utilizing both chips. Then my question would be, is it advantageous or detrimental to use the stereo and multichannel outputs or would it make no difference?
The ESS 9018 is an 8 channel chip. Unlike the 95 which stacked them into 4 stereo pairs when using the dedicated stereo analogue outputs, the 105 uses one stereo pair for the analogue outputs, one for the asynchronous USB DAC, and two pairs for the headphone. When using the multichannel outputs, then all 8 would be used simultaneously. At least, that's how I understand it.
dmusoke likes this.

My System:
post #11089 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
Quote:

--Bob

The ESS 9018 is an 8 channel chip. Unlike the 95 which stacked them into 4 stereo pairs when using the dedicated stereo analogue outputs, the 105 uses one stereo pair for the analogue outputs, one for the asynchronous USB DAC, and two pairs for the headphone. When using the multichannel outputs, then all 8 would be used simultaneously. At least, that's how I understand it.
That is my understanding as well. However, Oppo states that the 105 has two chips, and thus one of the chips' 8 channels is utilized as you had mentioned and the other chip is utilized for the multichannel output. So if the stereo outputs are used along side the multichannel outputs, are both chips being utilized simultaenously?
post #11090 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM

^You're quite right -- I hadn't realized there were two 9018 chip sets: one for the multichannel analogue outputs and the other for the RCA/XLR/USB B/Headphones. As to whether they'd both be active at the same time, I don't know.

My System:
post #11091 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The OPPO's output (compensating for volume differences) may be the same for XLR and RCA, but due to design differences, some pre/amp's sound better with one or the other, or no difference between them. Your mileage may vary.

Ayre specifies in their manuals that their equipment sounds best with a fully balanced pathway. This was also borne out by reviewers who compared both ways.

Omar
post #11092 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^You're quite right -- I hadn't realized there were two 9018 chip sets: one for the multichannel analogue outputs and the other for the RCA/XLR/USB B/Headphones. As to whether they'd both be active at the same time, I don't know.
Yes they are .... ALL analog outputs are active at the same time, stereo and MCH. Ditto for the digital outputs as well. In short, all outputs are active at the same time.

post #11093 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

The OPPO's output (compensating for volume differences) may be the same for XLR and RCA, but due to design differences, some pre/amp's sound better with one or the other, or no difference between them. Your mileage may vary.

Ayre specifies in their manuals that their equipment sounds best with a fully balanced pathway. This was also borne out by reviewers who compared both ways.

Omar

You just made my point ... if Ayre says their equipment sounds better on their balanced inputs than SE inputs, then its in their design that this is so and not the source. So the Oppo 105 could give identical sonic performance on its XLR/RCA analog outputs but the Ayre will sound best if its balanced inputs is used. This is hardly a limitation of the Oppo

post #11094 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they are .... ALL analog outputs are active at the same time, stereo and MCH. Ditto for the digital outputs as well. In short, all outputs are active at the same time.
Okay, that answers it then. Thank you for the clarification.

My System:
post #11095 of 11522 Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
"USB B" should not be part of your conversation for any DAC chips. USB Type B is a digital input, just like optical, coaxial, usb a, hdmi, and LAN are digital interfaces. When you speak of a DAC and its output channels, those channels are analog, and only analog outputs should be mentioned (i.e. RCA(2-ch and multi-ch), XLR (2-ch), and headphone output (2-ch) on the 105).

Last edited by DanF8500; 06-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
post #11096 of 11522 Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Note: Using the headphone output mutes HDMI audio. I'm forgetting if the other outputs are affected.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11097 of 11522 Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Omar

You just made my point ... if Ayre says their equipment sounds better on their balanced inputs than SE inputs, then its in their design that this is so and not the source. So the Oppo 105 could give identical sonic performance on its XLR/RCA analog outputs but the Ayre will sound best if its balanced inputs is used. This is hardly a limitation of the Oppo

I think you need to reread my original comment to the fellow

He asked if he should use XLR or RCA. I told him his Ayre equipment would sound best with XLR. Nowhere did I say anything about the OPPO itself sounding better or worse out of one of those outputs.

Omar
post #11098 of 11522 Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:

Note: Using the headphone output mutes HDMI audio. I'm forgetting if the other outputs are affected.

-Bill
All output other than headphone jack are muted when using headphones
post #11099 of 11522 Old 06-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Omar

I think you need to reread my original comment to the fellow

He asked if he should use XLR or RCA. I told him his Ayre equipment would sound best with XLR. Nowhere did I say anything about the OPPO itself sounding better or worse out of one of those outputs.

Omar
I had emailed Oppo and they did confirm that all outputs are active.

This is their response concerning whether to use the stereo outputs or multichannel outputs for the front right and front left in a HT setup:

"We generally do not hear a difference when using the dedicated stereo and instead of the Front Left/Right outputs, but some people like to use them since they are using a separate linear power supply and audio board, so potentially the DAC is done to a higher fidelity then that multi-channel analog outputs."

I will probably use the XLR outputs anyway due to convenience of having the correct cable length.
post #11100 of 11522 Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM

I need help. I can't for the life of me see to get my sub levels up. I'm using RCAs to XLRs into an inuke 6000 watt amp. It barely makes a sound though. Any ideas. The output is speakon to regular speaker wire. The amp is turned all the way up.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page