Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 373 - AVS Forum
First ... 371  372  373 374  375  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
Frank Derks's Avatar Frank Derks 01:02 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
That would still give you a split stereo signal, right? For example, I would lose the details from Left channel if I connect XLR and RCA to Right Channel. Can the mono signal be achieved which will sum up left and right channel?

You can use two 1k resistors and a couple of rca plugs . Connect each resistor to the output and connect the other ends to the amplifier input.

http://brashleraudio.wordpress.com/2...o-conversions/

Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:20 PM 06-26-2014
^ Joining two outputs to merge them -- a reverse Y connection -- is not a good idea. Why? Because you are also connecting those two outputs to EACH OTHER.

That means you are putting voltage back INTO each output.

Not good.
--Bob
Frank Derks's Avatar Frank Derks 01:23 PM 06-26-2014
It's ok when the 1k resistors are in series with the output. The signal will be summed to mono and prevent the outputs from shorting
Sam1000's Avatar Sam1000 01:57 PM 06-26-2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for some kind of a 'Party Mode' option in Audio Formats setting which outputs same signal to 2/5/7 channels.. One of my older receiver use to have that.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 02:21 PM 06-26-2014
^ Nope. That's one of MANY such surround sound processing tricks the player does not offer. For that you will need to feed the sound through a suitable AVR.

You can't even down-mix the Analog outs to Center channel only. The player requires the LF/RF speakers to be enabled.
--Bob
Arrius's Avatar Arrius 11:58 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for some kind of a 'Party Mode' option in Audio Formats setting which outputs same signal to 2/5/7 channels.. One of my older receiver use to have that.

Hi Sam,
I don't know if you use any computer based player.
I am using JRiver as my PC player and it has an option to output all files downmixed digitally to 1 channel, thus, when connected to Oppo (through HDMI in my case), allows for mono analog signal output on all RCA and XLR.
Kami
mantaraydesign's Avatar mantaraydesign 12:42 PM 06-27-2014
I have an extremely important questions about the 105.

Are these buttons in front of the 105 illuminate or are these buttons painted in white color? LOL!

I found this picture online but can not tell if these buttons are built in LED light or not. If you turn off the lights in your room, can you still see all the buttons in the dark room?

Also, are those buttons touch screen or the actual buttons? By looking at the picture below, all those buttons are touch screen buttons.

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 12:52 PM 06-27-2014
They are real buttons, they are illuminated, they can be turned off with the dimmer control.

-Bill
mantaraydesign's Avatar mantaraydesign 01:09 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
They are real buttons, they are illuminated, they can be turned off with the dimmer control.

-Bill

SOLD!!

Those illuminated buttons are the strongest selling point for me. It's not how good the player perform but it is all about the illuminated buttons. lol

The appearance of the 105 is a little boring. Having some lights on the player gives it synergy and tech look to it. I think it would be cool if their Oppo logo would illuminate as well.

Thanks Bill!
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 01:42 PM 06-27-2014
I just got my 105D and am in the process of setting it up. Exciting! Forgive if this has been covered already. I understand that the SW output will be different for DTS-MA multichannel and SACD multichannel. I would normally set the SW level using a DTS or Dolby multichannel recording. In that case, however, I would have a different SW output when playing multichannel SACDs. I gather it would about 5 dB higher. Am I correct? Do people simply adjust the SW trim when playing multichannel SACDs? Thanks for any assistance.

Jim
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:50 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
I just got my 105D and am in the process of setting it up. Exciting! Forgive if this has been covered already. I understand that the SW output will be different for DTS-MA multichannel and SACD multichannel. I would normally set the SW level using a DTS or Dolby multichannel recording. In that case, however, I would have a different SW output when playing multichannel SACDs. I gather it would about 5 dB higher. Am I correct? Do people simply adjust the SW trim when playing multichannel SACDs? Thanks for any assistance.

Jim
The player automatically compensates for the LFE channel difference on SACD compared to everything else. This is true both for Analog and HDMI output.

So only one sub level setting is needed.

Note that if you are using Analog audio output with any speakers set to Small, then playing an SACD with DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion engaged disables that Crossover processing, along with all other audio processing. Which means the speakers are treated as LARGE, and THAT changes the needed amount of Sub boost.

(5dB less boost is needed.)

Set SACD Output to PCM if you don't want to have to deal with that.
--Bob
Process53's Avatar Process53 03:42 PM 06-27-2014
^
Ok Bob - are you saying that the auto compensation for SACD only works if speakers are set to small? All my speakers are set to Large.
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 04:41 PM 06-27-2014
Thanks for the info, Bob. I am using multi ch analog out with speakers set to small. So you're saying that the player will only do speaker management on a PCM signal. What do owners think about the sound of DSD-to-PCM vs. DSD direct?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 05:10 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post
^
Ok Bob - are you saying that the auto compensation for SACD only works if speakers are set to small? All my speakers are set to Large.
No, the compensation for the odd way SACD defines the LFE channel works all the time. Even with DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion.

However, no audio processing is possible with DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, so the rule that applies for the amount of Sub boost needed is the rule for when no Crossover processing is happening, i.e., all speakers are set to Large (+10dB boost needed), as opposed to the rule for when Crossover processing is happening, i.e, when any speakers are set to Small (+15dB boost needed). If all your speakers are ALREADY set to Large, then using DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion won't make a difference in the amount of Analog output Sub boost needed because no Crossover processing is happening either way.

You can check SACD output levels with tracks 43-48 of "Stay in Tune with PentaTone", SACD, available from Amazon.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 05:16 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Bob. I am using multi ch analog out with speakers set to small. So you're saying that the player will only do speaker management on a PCM signal. What do owners think about the sound of DSD-to-PCM vs. DSD direct?
Yes, audio processing is done in the digital domain on LPCM digital audio. If you use DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion all audio processing is bypassed because the DSD format digital audio is being passed directly to the DACs. That includes down-mixing, Crossover processing, speaker distance adjustment, ALL of it. You just have Volume control -- and on the 103 and 103D you don't even have that.

Theoretically there should be no difference in what you hear between LPCM and DSD going to the DACs (other than for types of audio processing you've selected to use with LPCM). However, you will find there are people who believe they hear a difference.

You can do the A/B comparison for yourself if you set up the LPCM version to use no audio processing.

Also note that if you use the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, that TOO goes DIRECT to the DACs, so audio played using that input also gets no audio processing (other than Volume).
--Bob
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 06:40 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You can do the A/B comparison for yourself if you set up the LPCM version to use no audio processing.
Okay thanks. I'll be very interested to compare the two.
ceat's Avatar ceat 11:39 AM 06-28-2014
I need help with the video processing on the bdp103', I watch sports, on fast acting scenes there is artifacts on the screen(small squares, distortion) I have a Sony Bravia xbr5' , how can I fix this, thank you
ceat's Avatar ceat 12:14 PM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceat View Post
I need help with the video processing on the bdp103', I watch sports, on fast acting scenes there is artifacts on the screen(small squares, distortion) I have a Sony Bravia xbr5' , how can I fix this, thank you
Wrong forum
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 12:34 PM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Wrong forum
Actually, the 103 and 105 have the exact same video processing.

Keep the 103's settings at 0. Now, calibrate your TV. Spears & Munsil from the OPPO site and Disney WOW from Amazon.com are a couple of good ones. Or, you can hire a professional to do it. Or, go to your TV's thread on here and see what settings they recommend for your TV. Or,...
Audiguy3's Avatar Audiguy3 02:14 PM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Wrong forum but a general enough question that I think it can be answered here. What you see is a artifact of lcd technology of the TV . I would suggest using 720p output on the oppo as that will have a faster refresh rate and make sure that the TV is set to receive 720p.
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 10:47 PM 06-28-2014
I was watching a blu ray and a DVD with 1:85 aspect ratio on my Kuro 151. I noticed that the image fills the entire screen. Is this normal for the 105? My previous BD player showed thin bars top and bottom with 1:85 titles. Is the 105 cropping this aspect ratio slightly?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:54 PM 06-28-2014
^ Nope. You've got the picture size set incorrectly for that input on your Display. The OPPO is sending the complete 1920x1080 pixels, and with the correct Display setting you will see all of them. Which means 1.85 content will include thin letter box bars top and bottom.
--Bob
JazzGuyy's Avatar JazzGuyy 07:59 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
I was watching a blu ray and a DVD with 1:85 aspect ratio on my Kuro 151. I noticed that the image fills the entire screen. Is this normal for the 105? My previous BD player showed thin bars top and bottom with 1:85 titles. Is the 105 cropping this aspect ratio slightly?
I've seen a couple of supposedly 1.85 movies that were really 1.78 (Warner sometimes does this). That may be the case here. But I would also check to be sure your 151 is set for Dot by Dot.
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 11:42 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Nope. You've got the picture size set incorrectly for that input on your Display. The OPPO is sending the complete 1920x1080 pixels, and with the correct Display setting you will see all of them. Which means 1.85 content will include thin letter box bars top and bottom.
--Bob
Hmm....I've having a hard time finding the source of the problem. If I play a 1.78:1 test pattern, I get 1:1 mapping, however, when I played 2 different 1.85:1 titles, the image filled the entire screen. I'm positive when I played these titles on my previous BD player, it showed the thin bars at top and bottom. I'm puzzled.
JazzGuyy's Avatar JazzGuyy 12:19 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Hmm....I've having a hard time finding the source of the problem. If I play a 1.78:1 test pattern, I get 1:1 mapping, however, when I played 2 different 1.85:1 titles, the image filled the entire screen. I'm positive when I played these titles on my previous BD player, it showed the thin bars at top and bottom. I'm puzzled.
What are the titles? It might help if someone could check them out on a different display.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 12:21 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
What is the source of your test pattern?
What happens when you play a disc that is 2.35/2.40 aspect ratio?
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 12:22 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
What happens when you play a disc that is 2.35/2.40 aspect ratio?
It looks normal, ie. with the appropriate size black bars at top and bottom.
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 12:25 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
What are the titles? It might help if someone could check them out on a different display.
The 2 titles so far are 'Purple Rain' blu ray and 'The Dreamers' DVD. I'll try some more today.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 12:27 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
It looks normal, ie. with the appropriate size black bars at top and bottom.
I would say it's definitely something other than the player.
More likely an overscan type setting in your display.
If the test pattern is a different media or playing back at a different resolution, perhaps even a different input,
all those factors can change how the display is set for those criteria.
With a true 1.85:1 Blu-ray playing, go into your tv setting and adjust the aspect ratio/zoom/overscan settings so that it is mapped pixel for pixel.
Could be called dot by dot, or full pixel, or something similar.
If you aren't able to figure it out, find the thread on AVS dedicated to your display or display series and ask there.
jdmi's Avatar jdmi 01:03 PM 06-29-2014
Both my display and the 105 have the option to set the color space as 4:4:4. They also both have an 'auto' option for color space. Should I set them both to auto, 4:4:4, or only one of them to auto?
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
First ... 371  372  373 374  375  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop